Video: Tebowmania

posted at 9:58 pm on January 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

We’re 25 hours late with this, but oh well. It’s still newsy for the three readers who haven’t yet seen the game-ending TD in endless rotation on ESPN today.

Can you root for Tebow if you’re not a believer? I do, but his religious identity is so key to his persona that it feels odd to endorse Tebow the player without endorsing Tebow the evangelist. It’s like listening to gospel music: You don’t need to believe in order to enjoy it, but if you don’t then you’re relating to the material in a completely different way than most devotees. I like him because I like underdogs and because he plays with heart even though he’s far from being a top-tier QB — far enough, I think, that he probably won’t be a starter for long. But he’s a phenomenon right now and that’s always fun in sports, especially when it involves underdogs. Having the Broncos in the Super Bowl would be insane. Here’s hoping.

As for all the 3:16 coincidences — and there are more of them than you think — I’m unimpressed. Although if Brady throws for 666 yards next week then, admittedly, I’ll have to rethink some things.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Keep moving those goalposts, ap.

cs89 on January 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I like him because I like underdogs and because he plays with heart

Allahpundit on Jan 9, 2012 9:58 PM

If you like underdogs with heart then you like me.

apocalypse on January 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

The cool thing is,from a football perspective, the only reason that happened was because Pittsburgh was playing coverage solely to stop the run .

Meaning, Pittsburgh thought so lowly of Tebows arm they dared him to throw.

pamplonajack on January 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

heh…that auto-tune is pretty good.

equanimous on January 9, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Even Lady GaGa praised Tim Tebow. Sign of the apocalypse?

SouthernGent on January 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Lets get to 316 Comments or bust

jp on January 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Leaves the ball on the field, and heads right into the tunnel. I like it.

And Tim Tebow? Hey, anyone who is surprised didn’t catch his act when he was leading the Gators (chompchomp) to the National Title.

Kid’s a winner. Just knows how to win football games.

JohnGalt23 on January 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

heh …remember the guy with the wig and the sign?

equanimous on January 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I’m surrounded by RINO Republicans and false converts.

apocalypse on January 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Very cool. Would’ve loved to have been there when that place went nuts.

changer1701 on January 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

The Pats are going to CRUSH Denver

Zetterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Bill Maher hardest hit.

sbvft contributor on January 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Good for him…!

Seven Percent Solution on January 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

The video is 48 seconds too short.

malclave on January 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM

All he does is win.

Roymunson on January 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Tim Tebow just makes me smile. He defies all football logic.

It’s just a great story.

gophergirl on January 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

i’m one of the three who haven’t seen this! i don’t watch sports!

but the thing about the 3:16 coincidences is pretty amazing. actually i don’t think they are “coincidences.”

the lesson we can all take from this tebow-mania is, thank God for your talents/skills, He will do amazing things in your life if you just trust Him!!

Sachiko on January 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

This week? A 31-6 defeat.

JammieWearingFool on January 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Patriots 3, Broncos 16!

Akzed on January 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

What a great game! Cant wait for this weekend.

Weight of Glory on January 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I love that kid! He’s just a good kid!
I don’t need to say why!

KOOLAID2 on January 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Simply amazing performance from Tebow. But it was interesting to see the ESPN coverage of the game afterward. In that final touchdown, the reporter’s emphasized how great a job the receiver did of getting open and running for the touchdown–granted a great accomplishment, but hardly an acknowledgement of Tebow.

On the other hand, the fawning coverage of Rothlesberg, who heroically played with a bum ankle, threw pin-point accurate passes, and brought his team back from a two-touchdown deficit. All true, but quite a contrast in coverage.

Yet, the media boobs never realize how biased their coverage is. One thing that the Tebow story has revealed, in glaring colors, is that the liberal media also extends to sports journalism. Any wonder that Olberman came out of this melieu?

EMD on January 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Tim Tebow just makes me smile. He defies all football logic.

It’s just a great story.

gophergirl on January 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

CW on January 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I remember when people said that Terry Bradshaw couldn’t play a lick and would never stick in the NFL. He ended up playing 16 years and has four super bowl rings.

Here’s the Wiki entry for Bradshaw. It sounds like TT and TB had a lot in common.

A tough competitor, Bradshaw had a powerful – albeit at times erratic – arm and called his own plays throughout his football career. His physical skills and on-the-field leadership played a major role in Pittsburgh Steelers history. During his career, he passed for more than 300 yards in a game only seven times, but three of those performances came in the post-season, and two of those in Super Bowls.

NoNails on January 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Jets lost big to the Pats in the regular season, then beat the Pats handily in the playoffs.

Go Donkeys!

John the Libertarian on January 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Au contraire, Allahpundit! Even us atheists can feel the spirit after 30 seconds of this.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I have no idea how he’s going to do against the Pats. Broncos have had the Pats’ number for years, especially in the playoffs. Do I think Tebow stands a chance against Brady? Probably not. But I’m going to be watching and rooting for the kid all the same.

Tennman on January 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

The Lord works in mysterious ways..

And here is another:

1 Timothy 3:16a – And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness:

FLconservative on January 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

It’s a great story, and I’m glad the Broncos won (although I think it would have been a different game if the Steelers had been healthy), but I think the clock strikes midnight next week in New England.

TouchdownBuddha on January 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

JohnGalt23 on January 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

They destroyed Ohio State for the title.

John the Libertarian on January 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I’m a diehard Steelers fan but that was one great game to see Tebow win. Watching Elway go nuts on the sideline was comical considering how the guy has no respect for Tebow.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Z

etterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Probably but Pittsburg was supposed to crush them also. That #1 rated defense gave up 400+ yards because they thought he couldn’t throw.

chemman on January 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

FLconservative on January 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Oooh good one.

gophergirl on January 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Tom Brady is satan.
I hope he fails.

Timmuh!

carbon_footprint on January 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I am not a huge Broncos fan, but Tebow and his teamates truly deserve recognition for this season. In down times, everyone needs someone to rally behind, and if our Media weren’t so liberal, this would be huge. Yeah, I know it is somewhat, but it should be so much bigger

cntrlfrk on January 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Go Donkeys!

John the Libertarian on January 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Don’t forget the Giants also beat the Pats too! It can be done!

FLconservative on January 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I like to see him win because, if Denver goes far enough, there will be certain people whose heads will, quite literally, explode. And that I want to see on youtube.

notropis on January 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I don’t like football…at all-but that was a GREAT clip that’s left me grinning. Truly wonderful.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Dang, I used the ‘splode word, and my post got eaten by the anti-bad stuff filter.

notropis on January 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

And spit back out….

notropis on January 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

In other good news, Dish Network will be unveiling their satellite internet service before summer. Great news for rural citizens who have sh#tty broadband, like me. Up to 8 mbp for downloading. I am stuck with 4 right now.

carbon_footprint on January 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I was watching ESPN and they were talking about if Denver would get rid of Tebow after this season or move him to second string.

Tom Jackson said as beloved as Elway is in Denver if he did that – he would be run out of town by the fans.

gophergirl on January 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Oooh good one.

gophergirl on January 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Thank you! Tebow is very inspiring.

FLconservative on January 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

We are Steeler fans, but also love Tebow. It was bittersweet yesterday, but a great game nonetheless. The last play was spectacular. Tebow looked like a top-tier QB yesterday. A glimpse of the future, which is being a starter not a benchwarmer.

I think it’d be epic to see a Denver vs Baltimore championship game given Suggs comments about not needing God to win. EPIC showdown. EPIC.

conservative pilgrim on January 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

GO PERRY GO…
Let’s Get America Working Again Let’s Vote Conservative Tea Party Values Let’s Restore Our Constitution Our Bill of Rights Find a Land of Opportunity, Libert…

Perry Woman

nancysabet on January 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Probability of there actually being a “God” of any type…Very near zero.

Probability of there being a Christian God as laid out in the Bible…Absolutely zero. But don’t let the facts get in the way of all those superstitious beliefs you got goin’ there.

Bandit13 on January 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Allahpundit on Jan 9, 2012 9:58 PM

See how close allahpundit is right now to being saved. Let’s make lemonade. Let’s keep it going Tebow!!

apocalypse on January 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Keep moving those goalposts, ap.

cs89 on January 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Winner.

Fish on January 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

chemman on January 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

And don’t you just know that Bill Belichick is repeating that right now to his team. Don’t expect the Patriots to make the same mistake.

Zetterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

OT – they found the body of the son of the Packers’ OC.

How horrible.

gophergirl on January 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Why say no when it feels so good to say YES?

apocalypse on January 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

THERE ya’ go – way to show some CLASS!

williamg on January 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Tom Brady and wife are already resorting to wife swapping to keep their marriage strong.
He is satan.

carbon_footprint on January 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

TWO SONGS FOR PERRY..CHECK IT OUT
Have you ever seen this kind of enthusiasm and inspiration elicited by any other candidate but Perry?
Perry Woman

Carolina by Morning

nancysabet on January 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Bandit13 on January 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Yep, that last open reg was like a cattle call, except for douchebags.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I know how big of a Steelers fan you are Bish…

… that must have been a tough one to watch, but you hit the target regarding Elway.

Seven Percent Solution on January 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

TWO SONGS FOR PERRY..CHECK IT OUT
Perry Woman

Carolina by Morning

nancysabet on January 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

GIVE. IT. UP.

Zetterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Seven Percent Solution on January 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Today Rush was referencing Denver mgmt. not liking Tebow much. Could someone clue me in on why the dislike and why did they hire him in the first place?

arnold ziffel on January 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Probability of there actually being a “God” of any type…Very near zero.

Bandit13 on January 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Well that settles it for me then. I mean he used math and everything to prove there is no God

Bunsin2 on January 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Tebow has made football interesting again.

I just renamed my dog “Tebow.” He seems a bit confused right now, but he’ll grow into it. His mouth starts watering for some reason.

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Probability of there actually being a “God” of any type…Very near zero.

Bandit13 on January 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Wow. Just… wow. Your superior intellect, copious evidence and sophisticated argument has persuaded me. What a fool I’ve been all this time.

John the Libertarian on January 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

gophergirl on January 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

The only reason anyone in Denver was watching the Broncos halfway through the season was to see Tebow play. If Elway were stupid enough to bench or trade the guy, he might very well be given the Ben Nelson pizzeria treatment.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I want Denver to beat New England next weekend only so that Baltimore will host the AFC Championship game the following weekend. This city’d go bananas hosting two playoff games. Alas, I don’t expect that to happen. As bad as the Patriot defense is, they’ll more than compensate by torching Denver’s D.

Baltimore’d eat Tebow for lunch. Pittsburgh’s D was obviously old and broken yesterday. Baltimore is healing, and I expect Lewis, Gnata, Reed and Webb to be in top form. It would be nothing like what Tebow faced in Denver. Especially if he had to deal with the crowd noise at M&T Bank Stadium. One of the loudest parks in the league.

Tebow’s gonna come down to earth in a painful way. I’ve enjoyed watching him, except when he beat the Chargers. But reality’s going to crash his party. He’s not a good NFL quarterback. He’ll need to demonstrate a lot more than he did yesterday to convince me otherwise.

nukemhill on January 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

nancysabet on January 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Seriously, those songs are bad enough to drive the last 4 remaining Perry voters into the Romney camp.

Zetterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I heard Belichick is on a charted plane to Rome to audience with the Pope to cut a deal for next week’s game.

B*stard!

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I <3 Jesus

apocalypse on January 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM

arnold ziffel on January 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I’ll give it a shot.

The old coach they fired (Josh McDaniels) is the one that drafted him. Tebow does not have the “perfect” form – he brings his arm down low and has a different release with the ball. He’s best in the option which most teams do not like to run.

I’m sure someone else can add more than what I did.

gophergirl on January 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Still sort of amazing to me that no one seems to acknowledge that the WR, Demaryius Thomas, made the play. Decent throw by Tebow, GREAT run by Thomas.

Robert_Paulson on January 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Seven Percent Solution on January 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

It was brutal, half of us were cheering the Steelers and the other half were cheering Tebow…my turncoat boys will pay for that.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Boy oh Boy. That Tebow autotune song is DAMNED catchy.

portlandon on January 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

That’s basically what Jackson said as well.

So since we’re talking football – if Alabama wins does OSU share the title?

gophergirl on January 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM

TXUS 3:16 — Never misunderestimate the heart of a winner.

TXUS on January 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM

He is satan.

carbon_footprint on January 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Way ultra-lapsed Catholic taking on the Evangelical Hope.

I’m Catholic. I’m backing Tebow in the AFC Primary.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I’m going on record right now… allahpundit will become a born again Christian.

apocalypse on January 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Tebow has made football interesting again.

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Oh Wow. I just posted last night here that Tebow has made football interesting for me again and today, I just renamed my new dog, Tebow. I wonder if we are the only two who have done this?

carbon_footprint on January 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Allahpundit x Apocalypse = DREAM TEAM

apocalypse on January 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

He’d be like that fool coach of the US Women’s Soccer team who benched his 1st string goalie so he could put the backup in there would be at least one black woman playing.

Ruined team chemistry and they lost. Stupid politically correct coach meddling and micromanaging the team.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Way ultra-lapsed Catholic taking on the Evangelical Hope.

I’m Catholic. I’m backing Tebow in the AFC Primary.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Good for you. I wonder when was the last time Satan Brady went to confession?

Sorry, Pats fans, I have hated Brady for years. My happiest moment in sports in past decade was when the G Men whipped them in the Super Bowl.

carbon_footprint on January 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

That wasn’t a Billy Graham revival in Mile High stadium yesterday or in millions of living rooms so yes, people can and do root for Tebow and care nothing about his religious beliefs. A fair number of them probably that his behavior seems to reflect his beliefs and he’s not out roughing up underage girls or driving drunk or generally acting like an a-hole off the field but they don’t otherwise care about his beliefs.

There are plenty of reasons to root for a guy who seems to be loving life and is sincerely humble about the amazing opportunities he’s been given and isn’t a perfect QB (who is, really?) but just goes out there and gives it what he’s got. He reminds us all of what it’s like to be young, when life is supposed to be fun and challenging yourself to be more than what other people think you can be is worth the effort.

Tebow to Thomas. Touchdown. Maybe not up there with Montana to Rice but it will be remembered for a long time.

Bennett on January 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I’ll give it a shot.

I’m sure someone else can add more than what I did.

gophergirl on January 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM

What they most dislike about him is that he loves to run and scramble, which to a team owner and management, means future injuries and a lot of money paid out while your guy is on the DSL. It’s a clear money thing, though I’m sure some of them have a problem with his public faith displays.

TXUS on January 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Jesus Christ > EVERYONE

apocalypse on January 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM

The Pats are going to CRUSH Denver

Zetterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

And the Steelers were supposed to do the same thing. How’d that work out?

conservativemusician on January 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

awesome video before the game of fans chanting Tebow-we-love-you

redridinghood on January 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I don’t feel like posting anymore

apocalypse on January 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM

The “God” particle…?

Rugged Individual on January 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

arnold ziffel on January 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Tebow was brought in by the previous coach, so the new regime is just not that into him.

yubley on January 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Zetterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Anyone find it curious that Belicheck hired the former Denver coach McDaniels, who drafted Tebow and worked closely with him before being fired, to replace the Patriot’s offensive coordinator (?) who let for the Penn State job? Belicheck didn’t wait until next season, he had the former Denver coach start ASAP. Hmm.

conservative pilgrim on January 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

“Paycheck…? … What paycheck?

… You didn’t cover the 3:16 spread!”

Seven Percent Solution on January 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM

The Pats are going to CRUSH Denver

Zetterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

And the Steelers were supposed to do the same thing. How’d that work out?

conservativemusician on January 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Hahaha I love watching you guys get your hopes up. The Patriots have won so many games over the last decade that you think it would get old. It doesn’t though and this Saturday’s win might just be the sweetest one yet.

Zetterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

*left

conservative pilgrim on January 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Only thing I hate about Tebow is how he makes me agree with Skip Bayless.

pauljc on January 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

TXUS on January 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Considering he runs like a fullback – I can see their point on that one.

I think it’s a combination of that, his faith displays and his ball release to be honest. He doesn’t fit the mold and they all expected him to fail – and he’s doing everything but. Elway is going to have to swallow his pride and mentor him. Heh.

gophergirl on January 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Zetterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I know which particular game they DIDN’T win in the last decade. And so do you.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Bandit13 on January 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Oh, way to plop into the punchbowl, Mr. Turd. What do you do for an encore?

Tennman on January 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM

On Sunday, Tebow passed for 316 yards and averaged 31.6 yards per pass.

Very Interesting. If you watched the game his passes we about as perfect as you can get against a very good defense by the Steelers.

How poetic to do it with one pass in overtime right when the rules had changed this year allowing first possession TDs to be automatic wins.

Bill Maher hardest hit.

Munford/Tebow 2012
Hope, Change and better Storm Drains

42 million people tuned into the game. Highest rated wild card in 24 years.

Frobenius on January 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Zetterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Yeah, and the Pats have never choked in a pressure situation, eh? 19-0!

Tebow already has the highest QB Rating for a Bronco QB in the playoffs in their history. Yes, higher than any Elway game.

Good Solid B-Plus on January 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM

It will be great. Uber-Christian Tebow going against the team and coach responsible for the largest cheating scandal in NFL history.

tommyboy on January 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM

conservative pilgrim on January 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Just another day in the Patriots Dynasty. One of their coaches takes another job and they not only don’t lose the guy for the playoff run, they add another, younger, better coach. A coach who was the architect of their offense. The one who not only coached the most prolific offense in NFL history, but who got 11 wins out of Matt Cassel. A coach who scouted, drafted and mentored Denver and Tebow, and who this year already has gameplanned against Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New Orleans and San Francisco twice. Nope. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Zetterson on January 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM

The best part of this whole thing is knowing all the doubters and haters can NEVER enjoy the ride as much as the people rooting for the kid! I’m a life-long Patriots fan – but I’ve never enjoyed watching football as much as the past three months watching Tebow. The overtime touchdown was freakin’ sublime!

And yes I rooted for him to beat the Patriots earlier this month. And I’ll be rooting for Denver to beat the Patriots this weekend.

JasperBallbaggins on January 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM