Video: Mia Love, the next conservative superstar?

posted at 8:30 pm on January 9, 2012 by Tina Korbe

She’s been compared with Marco Rubio and called “the next big thing in conservative politics.” Meet Mia Love, a wife, mother, mayor and runner who is, er, running for Congress in Utah’s newly-created fourth congressional district. Here, she introduces herself in a video that makes it easy to see why she’s attracted such positive attention among conservatives and why elaborate praise of her does not appear to be overblown:

As the image she presents in the video suggests and as her website further confirms, Love is a Tea Party conservative who stands for fiscal discipline, smaller government, personal responsibility, jobs through growth, tax reform and fewer regulations. She favors a fully-funded military, responsible international engagement, energy exploration, enhanced border security, local control in education, religious freedom and the free exercise of the Second Amendment. (In fact, her first date with her husband involved learning to shoot — and his first gift to her was a gun. Plus, she has a concealed carry permit and regularly packs a gun.)

In fact, she sounds almost too good to be true. To be sure, she’s still a long-shot candidate, even in a district that has no incumbent. She first faces two other Republicans — and, if she earns the GOP nomination, she’ll square off against Democratic Congressman Jim Matheson, whose current constituency has been carved into four pieces by redistricting. Right now, she polls slightly behind the other would-be GOP nominees — but that appears to be largely an issue of name recognition. Matheson leads all of them.

But as she says in her video, “difficult things aren’t easy, but they’re worth it.” As a runner, she’s willing to tackle the hills; I doubt she’s daunted by the difficult campaign ahead. If she does manage to pull off an upset, she’ll be the first female black Republican in the House and Utah’s first black representative. She’d join the Congressional Black Caucus, she says — to “try to take that thing apart from the inside out.” (She already has a history of standing up to the demagoguery that runs rampant among members of the CBC. See this guest column she wrote for The Daily Caller.)

Mia Love is a magnificent reminder that congressional elections are equally as important as the presidential election. To achieve meaningful legislative reforms like the repeal of Obamacare, Republicans must retain the House and take back the Senate, as well as win the White House. Not just any ol’ Republicans will do, though. As we saw this summer during the debt ceiling debate, as long as conservatives are in the minority among Republicans, government will continue to grow. Meaningful entitlement reform and real spending cuts — among other accomplishments — hinge on the election of committed candidates like Mia Love.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

annoyinglittletwerp on January 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Woulda been fun 20 years ago – before I injured my back, when my knees still worked like they’re supposed to and I weighed half what I do now.

Eren on January 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

She meets the qualifications threshhold, as Mayor of Saratoga Springs (Population- 17,781) since January 2010. Before that, she spent seven years as one of five City Council members.

Mister Mets on January 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Her popularity proves that conservatives are racists.
/s

elfman on January 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Gorgeous lady! I wish I could vote in Utah…

JustJP on January 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Very powerful video.

Looks like another Mama Grizzly to me. Palin endorsement should be forthcoming.

huckleberryfriend on January 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Married a white guy – not authentically black. /libtard

The Count on January 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

You go girl! I wish we had her here in New Hampshire.

woodNfish on January 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Darn I wish I lived in Utah. This lady is awesome.
A future dream team……Rubio and Love…..
Priceless.

Art on January 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Carl Wimmer is probably the most charismatic and accomplished republican state legislator in Utah.

I certainly know who I’m going to be supporting.

joana on January 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Lighten up, Mrs. Wimmer….

notropis on January 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

It also never gets to be your turn unless you make some noise. Otherwise you just get taken for granted.

Stoic Patriot on January 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM

K. Squeak on. :)

Axe on January 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Where do I donate?

:-)

disa on January 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Hey eren: Head over to the newest Huntsman thread and introduce yourself to my personal troll. It’s name is frobenius.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

notropis on January 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Now see, that’s just funny! She won’t be having any of that.

Bmore on January 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM

See’s a beautiful woman. Has my vote.

rickyricardo on January 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Some of you guys here make me shake my head…

It’s nice to see conservative minorities running for office, but at the end of the day, I could care less that she’s a black woman or that she’s in an interracial marriage.

Mia seems like the real deal.

Aizen on January 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

The question was asked. Yes, another fine conservative and member of the same church as Romney and Huntsman.

DumboTheAvenger on January 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I was going to say, ‘meh’. The current ‘conservative superstars’ are not very impressive. Any of them.

Maybe she’ll surprise.

I won’t hold my breath.

avgjo on January 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Who would’ve thought we’d be blessed with so many modern-day heroes…? Now, if we could just add some action to our admiration. I can’t understand how accusations of racism, extremism and warmongering made by obviously left-wing sources, ever get taken seriously by ANYONE to the right of center. So-called Independents get pulled and pushed back and forth, across the center line, and remain high on the euphoria of having the power to determine election outcomes. If those fickle trendies were to be true to their claims, they would always vote for the Republican establishment candidates. Nothing could be more centrist that that. Instead, they vote for the Democrat establishment candidate just to flex their political muscle. It doesn’t seem to matter to these ignorant and / or belligerent fools that the Democrats are dominated, controlled and ruled by the most extreme of socialists, while the Republicans are stuck on an island just right of center, where we’ve run aground. I say it’s long past time to repair our hull, push this boat off the rocks and fight the current. I’m glad to see another sailor who seems ready to put her back into it. It wouldn’t hurt to throw a few Republican establishment officers to the sharks either.

Rugged Individual on January 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Who would’ve thought we’d be blessed with so many modern-day heroes…? Now, if we could just add some action to our admiration. I can’t understand how accusations of racism, extremism and warmongering, made by obviously left-wing sources, ever get taken seriously by ANYONE to the right of center. So-called Independents get pulled and pushed back and forth, across the center line, and remain high on the euphoria of having the power to determine election outcomes. If those fickle trendies were to be true to their claims, they would always vote for the Republican establishment candidates. Nothing could be more centrist than that. Instead, they vote for the Democrat establishment candidate just to flex their political muscle. It doesn’t seem to matter to these ignorant and / or belligerent fools that the Democrats are dominated, controlled and ruled by the most extreme of socialists, while the Republicans are stuck on an island just right of center, where we’ve run aground. I say it’s long past time to repair our hull, push this boat off the rocks and fight the current. I’m glad to see another sailor who seems ready to put her back into it. It wouldn’t hurt to throw a few Republican establishment officers (useful idiots) to the sharks either.

Rugged Individual on January 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Rugged Individual on January 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Please delete or ignore the first of my repeated post. Corrections were made. Thanks.

Rugged Individual on January 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

joana on January 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

This message paid for by: Carl Wimmer for Congress.

Wendya on January 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I beamed through the whole spot. She’s awesome!

nicktjacob on January 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

So far every response I’ve composed would get me banned. That’s why I’m not here that much anymore. I’d have to go to confession every day, twice a day when it’s about Zero.

Eren on January 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Carl Wimmer is exactly the sort of Republican we don’t need any more of. We have plenty. A relentlessly self-promoting insider dunderhead who looks like he swallowed his last political opponent whole. Time to broaden the base, but not by as much as Carl’s broad base would add.

The House of Representatives does not require a huge amount of expertise to play (in fact, too much experience is kind of contra-indicated), so it’s exactly the sort of place to introduce new faces that one wishes to promote on the national scene. In this regard, Mia Love is an ideal candidate. Young, conservative, and not an insider. Jabba the Wimmer, not so much.

HTL on January 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM

She does look amazing. Also amazing is how these grassroots true fiscal conservatives are springing up all over. It’s the beginning of a wave, I think, of a big change in America.

The Repubs have a very deep bench with people like her, Christie, Ryan. If only we can hang in as a country till 2016.

PattyJ on January 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Eren on January 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

The next Sunday I have available-if I get the new shift-I’m going to Mass.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I’m in love……………….

Opposite Day on January 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

kkaneff79 on January 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Part of getting a track record involves getting elected to higher office, isn’t that obvious enough?

DSchoen on January 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM

She sounds very good. Now, if her campaign/production people can learn how to use capital letters properly…

I’d vote for her in a heartbeat.

RoadRunner on January 9, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Can we just forget the female conservative superstars for awhile.

they lie on January 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Nobody would care if she wasn’t a black woman.

joana on January 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Unfortunately, he isn’t a black woman, so Tina won’t write about him.

joana on January 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM
And people wonder why the GOP is sometimes thought of as intolerant

McDuck on January 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Well Duck, sometimes the other side sends them in during open registration, and turns them loose…So they get people thinking like you do!

KOOLAID2 on January 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM

RoadRunner on January 9, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Sounds like you might be in that business. At least that didn’t use to much of that Batman framing, that’s one of my pet peeves. Designers, what are you gonna do ? Otherwise for a low budget, pretty good I thought.

Bmore on January 9, 2012 at 11:08 PM

What is absolutely astounding about this is that the left will still go for her jugular.

Only a black Democrat is considered “untouchable”.

She sounds strong and she better be. Because she need not worry about conservative white people. We LOVE her. Liberal white elites, however, will savage her and the liberal MSM will make sure she “knows her place”.

Opposite Day on January 9, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Mia has shown she is willing to shake things up as Mayor. I know I am glad I DON’T live in UT4. Choosing between Carl and Mia will be tough.

Now to find someone good for UT2. It’s an open seat things to Carpetbagger Matheson going to the 4th!

LL

Lady Logician on January 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Wow. 0_o She has to be way too good to be true! I really hope Utah elects her!

ZachV on January 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Hooray! Youth & Vitality injected into the Grand Old Party! Run Mia Run! More Conservatives, not fewer…all welcome.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 10, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Palin endorsement should be forthcoming.

huckleberryfriend on January 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I sure hope not. It would be the kiss of death for Mia.

And before everybody gets all bent out of shape, I am not pleased at that political reality but it is what it is. The conservative electorate does not like someone who will not put himself/herself at risk. A play-it-safe conservative like Sarah cannot do anything but stain whoever she endorses.

Besides, this woman probably doesn’t need any out-of-state endorsements.

platypus on January 10, 2012 at 1:00 AM

If only we can hang in as a country till 2016.

PattyJ on January 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

You can’t. Four more years of Obama and America is sunk.

Kane Rogers on January 10, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Ok now, she’s a powerful force. Thank God for her and good luck!

SansJeux on January 10, 2012 at 1:27 AM

She gets my endorsement.

John Hitchcock on January 10, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I guess only liberal blacks go to college using affirmative action.

Isserley on January 10, 2012 at 2:48 AM

I guess only liberal blacks go to college using affirmative action.

Isserley on January 10, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Nice racism you just showed there, Isserley. Care to try for more racism in your next comment? The only people who use Affirmative Action to get into college nowadays are those whose grades don’t get past the cutting room floor. But you’re proof Affirmative Action is an albatross around the necks of self-sustaining “minorities,” you ignorant hack.

John Hitchcock on January 10, 2012 at 5:32 AM

I guess only liberal blacks go to college using affirmative action.

Isserley on January 10, 2012 at 2:48 AM

“She’s BLACK!!! She’s BLACK!!! She’s a BLACK WOMAN!!! There’s no way she could have ever had the grades and test scores to get into college on her own!!! She had to have a government-mandated unfair advantage just to get to college, because she’s a BLACK WOMAN!!!”

What a load of Liberal Racist garbage. A pox on your house, Isserley.

John Hitchcock on January 10, 2012 at 5:38 AM

I’m a little sick of media-created “superstars”. Media is what sucks about … just about everything. If she’s so special, her political supporters will vote her into positions of greater authority and her record will recommend her to a wider audience.

Until then, she represents voters in Utah, or something, and I live in the benighted, mob-controlled wasteland of Crook County, Illinois, and she can’t do much for me.

Jaibones on January 10, 2012 at 6:36 AM

What a load of Liberal Racist garbage. A pox on your house, Isserley.

John Hitchcock on January 10, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Ward Connerly knows — and always knew — what you apparently still can’t grasp about affirmative action.

Jaibones on January 10, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Despicable the racism that shows up here.

All decent people, you should support this women’s campaign. We need about 535 of here in Congress

georgealbert on January 10, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Good. Throw the bums out and get more like Mia Love.

ctmom on January 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Go get ‘em, Girl!
Remember-well behaved women rarely make history.
annoyinglittletwerp on January 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Doesn’t know her what her religion is

and is a hypocrite

Sonosam on January 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I guess only liberal blacks go to college using affirmative action.

Isserley on January 10, 2012 at 2:48 AM

I’d bet she shows her college transcripts. Willingly.

Cleombrotus on January 10, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Oh, AND her birth certificate.

Cleombrotus on January 10, 2012 at 8:05 AM

WOW, we TeaPartiers really need to unite and interview her. If she’s half as good as her video shows she’s a Grand Slam in politics, but only because of her views NOTHING else.
Run Mia Run

mmcnamer1 on January 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Doesn’t know her what her religion is

and is a hypocrite

Sonosam on January 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Relevancy to this thread?

annoyinglittletwerp on January 10, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Dude….Love her. Hope she wins. Wish i could volunteer for her but Pennsylvania is a bit of a drive from Utah. Good Luck Mia!

alecj on January 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I may just have to fly out to Utah and vote for her!

Oh, wait. I’m not a democrat. I can’t do that sort of thing. Drat!!

PorchDawg on January 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Doesn’t know her what her religion is
and is a hypocrite
Sonosam on January 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Relevancy to this thread?
annoyinglittletwerp on January 10, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I doubt your fickle self will be so glowing for the long haul

Sonosam on January 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM

She acts like there has been no Chicago influence on her life.

seven on January 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I remember feeling similar enthusiasm when I first read about Sarah Palin, a couple years before her nomination and explosion onto the national scene. Since then I’ve come to realize that I must not rush to crown people as the next great whatever. I have great hope for this lady and for some of the other young, intelligent folks coming forward to declare their conservatism proudly and make a compelling case for why it’s the right thing for the country. I hope these folks have weighed what’s in their past, and I mean anything and everything both personal and professional, and decided it can pass muster under the withering assault of investigation, innuendo, hostility, and mendacity that is sure to be aimed at them by the liberal community. Liberals hate those who know history, and can defend conservatism without compromise, and can appeal to all Americans. These conservatives are the doom of their hateful ‘progressive’ cause. Go Mia … I’ll be watching and praying for you.

OneFreeMan on January 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM

All I see is a black woman with enough common sense to appreciate the values of responsibility and accountability. Sure, she’s more electable because she’s black……and a woman, but how is she a superstar? Did I miss something?

michaelthomas on January 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM

She had me at “..take that thing apart from the inside out.”

Ever consider running for POTUS?

askwhatif on January 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I LIKE this woman!

RebeccaH on January 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Beautiful and smart lady.

latina on January 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Makes me wish I still lived in Utah! Is she Mormon? If so, it should show the “un-informed” that Mormon husbands to not treat their wives as 2nd class citizens……….

oIIIIIo on January 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM

She is a Mormon. No one’s perfect.

shick on January 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Utah don’t mess this one up, she is a one in a million! Man, I wish I could vote for her!

Conservative_Hippie on January 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Wait…I thought Victoria Jackson was the next conservative superstar?
Maybe that lady from Alaska will make a comeback….what was her name again?

greataunty on January 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM

OK, BUT has she ever been accused of sexual harrassment or is she giving money to help support some guy without her husband knowing? /s

dentarthurdent on January 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Wimmer looks like a doughy pasty-faced person with little appeal.

Lou Budvis on February 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Ever since the last open enrollment this sight has been infiltrated with a bunch of Debbie Downer concern trolls.
Geeeeezzzzz……….Mia Love brings an inspirational message to all races, but especially the black race that was always told they had to vote Democrat.

redridinghood on February 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM