Romney: I like being able to fire people who provide subpar services; Update: Huntsman, Perry pile on

posted at 4:35 pm on January 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

Well, don’t we all. In fact, there’s one guy in particular who I’m itching to fire in November.

In case you haven’t seen it elsewhere, here’s the outrageous outrage du jour, a Democratic attack so cheap and out-of-context that even lefty Greg Sargent felt obliged to defend Romney from it. The full, entirely unobjectionable quote: “I like being able to fire people who provide services to me. … You know, if someone doesn’t give me a good service, then I want to say, ‘I’m going to go get someone else to provide that service to me.’” Surely, surely, only an especially desperate Democratic hack would stoop to twisting that.

Right?

Huntsman quickly tried to capitalize on Romney’s remarks — later on Monday morning in New Hampshire he said, in contrast, that he likes “creating jobs.”

“What’s clear is he likes firing people, I like creating jobs,” Huntsman said in Concord.

Team Huntsman went so far as to send out a blast e-mail with the following statement from one of its senior advisors:

“Today, Mitt Romney reminded voters why he’s one of the weakest frontrunners in presidential history. ‘I like being able to fire people’ doesn’t exactly scream electability. History shows that nominating a gaffe-prone, out-of-touch, flip-flopping, inauthentic candidate is a losing strategy. Yet, John Kerry’s legacy lives on with Mitt Romney. Voters are looking for someone they can trust. That’s Jon Huntsman, not Mitt Romney.”

The authentic, non-flip-flopping senior advisor who authored that: John Weaver, who left the GOP for a time to become a Democratic strategist after McCain’s failed presidential bid in 2000 and is now known chiefly for saying things like, “There’s a simple reason our party is nowhere near being a national governing party. No one wants to be around a bunch of cranks.” Even better, appended to Weaver’s e-mail statement are a bunch of news stories from the past few months designed to illustrate how out of touch Romney is; the very first one is this old WaPo piece describing how Romney once went fishing for a $1 bill in his wallet but only had $100 on him at the time. There’s no class warfare like class warfare waged by the son of a billionaire, my friends.

Exit question: Does Romney deserve a tiny bit of criticism simply for handing Democrats an easily distorted soundbite? Politicians shouldn’t be hyper-cautious about everything they say but a guy who’s now taking flak even from Republican candidates about his work at Bain needs to be exceptionally careful in how he talks about layoffs.

Update: Turns out Huntsman isn’t the only desperate Republican to stoop this low. Enjoy your new ringtone, Perry fans.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

NEW SONG FOR PERRY
Let’s Get America Working Again Let’s Vote Conservative Tea Party Values Let’s Restore Our Constitution Our Bill of Rights Find a Land of Opportunity, Libert…
Carolina by Morning

nancysabet on January 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Stop making me like you, Romney!

Aronne on January 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

The auto industry is doing just fine in Right to Work states like Georgia.

Buy Danish on January 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM

my point was there were many makers that sprung up, then thru consolidation and elimination we only have a few brands–think Tucker, Magrius or REO. Same with software and IT, such as Next, Packard or Osbourne (according to legend, my university was the 1st to make owning a computer, an Osbourne, mandatory for any incoming freshman regardless of major in 1982).

Whether the auto manufacturer was union or not is irrelevant to my point. But keep shilling for the oboobi-light.

AH_C on January 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

If it’s any consolation, … (snip)

Gladtobehere on January 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

No. it is no surprise and no consolation. It’s just another domino poised to trigger world economic collapse.

My point still stands, we won’t have anyone who -could- bail us out, even if we cut spending and used the money legitimately to repay debt.

ebrown2 on January 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

You do understand that the context of this was firing the insurance company not serving you in the proper way, right? He likes having a competitive marketplace where we have choices.

Do you like having choices?

beatcanvas on January 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM

If he appreciates a competitive environment and values choice in the insurance market so much, why does RomneyCare limit the number of insurance carriers and products available through the Connector? Why did he restrict consumer choice?

Just askin’.

Just Sayin on January 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Mitt has had the national general election polling lead so far because he has shown his usual moral cowardice in imitating “Generic Republican.” Once the details of his activities gets out, the low information voters in the Rust Belt states (which he desperately needs to get the EV’s for in order to win the election) will turn on him, especially since Mitt’s a liberal Rockefeller Republican who can’t make a heartfelt case for capitalism on political grounds. He’s no Ayn Rand (or even a Friedman or Hayek) by a long shot.

I also see that you ignored the first paragraph, typical of your dishonesty in supporting a known political loser like Mittens.
ebrown2 on January 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

totally agree. Times like these do not call for a mousey pastel, but a bold leader. Mitt may win, but we will still lose as he tries to manage a soft landing off a cliff because his fundamentals are wrong. And then our only hope is a strong conservative Congress to pull him rightwards. But seeing how Ayotte and some of the new crop have been co-opted , I’m not holding my breath.

AH_C on January 9, 2012 at 11:09 PM

AH_C on January 9, 2012 at 11:09 PM

The bennies Gladtobehere’s articles mention (government influence and kickbacks) indicate where the corruption originates from. I don’t want to turn blue, either.

ebrown2 on January 9, 2012 at 11:41 PM

We KNOW you’re looking forward with happiness and glee at a GOP loss this Fall. You’ve made that clear already, many times over.

One is either helping or they’re in the way. It’s sad to read that you’re supporting an Obama re-election.

Lourdes on January 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I want to see the entire GOP establishment – Charles Krauthammer, George Will, Ann Coulter, John McCain, the entire National Review editorial board and Chris Christie – ALL got solid spankings for pushing a liberal Dem RINO in Romney, destined to lose resoundingly on November 6 – and doing untold damage to the conservative movement.

The aforementioned are now as much of an enemy to America as Obama and the Democrat Party. They made us lose this upcoming election; one that was so easily winnable AND will come at great cost to all of us.

Simply unforgivable.

Myron Falwell on January 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Just askin’.

Just Sayin on January 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

my thots exactly when I saw the news this evening. My complaint is if perry or newt are gonna go toe to toe, you need to follow up in a 1-2-3 combo.
And this would have been sweet to point out beyond just the “I like to fire…” attack. Oh well, so it goes. :)

AH_C on January 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Stop making me like you, Romney!

Aronne on January 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I just want Romney to make me stop HATING him.

Myron Falwell on January 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Cry moar, butthurt Romney bots.

So why didn’t I hear you guys coming to Newt’s defense with all this “we’re all in this together to defeat Obama” kumbaya when he was getting attacked by other Republicans?

tkyang99 on January 10, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Stop making me like you, Romney!

Aronne on January 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I just want Romney to make me stop HATING him.

Myron Falwell on January 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM

One is 42, the other is 58.

LOLOLOLOL!

TheAlamos on January 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Simply unforgivable.

Myron Falwell on January 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM

DEFINITELY 58!

TheAlamos on January 10, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I wonder why Perry feels the need to appeal to retards such as the above?

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Poaching Romney supporters who believe he’s electable?

Poaching Romney supporters who believe he’s really a conservative?

Poaching Romney supporters who believe RomneyCare was a free-market fix to government over-regulation?

Poaching Romney supporters who believe …. anything Romney says is true?

You’re right. It is a good question.

tom on January 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM

The Obama camp must be pretty upset at Romney right now.

“Damn it, why couldn’t he have made the gaffe 9 months later? Why now??”

tkyang99 on January 10, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Oh my. The hypocisy on this thread beats all the hypocrisy on all the other threads combined. HotAir should just add:

Content at HotAir reserved for TRUE conservatives, only. You must be a deranged Romney hater to participate.

BettyRuth on January 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM

TRUE conservatives: the 2012 epithet for actual conservatives who don’t want a squishy George H. W. Bush type

In the 80s, they were called “hard-hearted extremists.” It’s amazing how much the name calling remains the same even though the actual names called have changed.

BTW, sneering at TRUE CONSERVATIVES is not the way to convince them to vote for Mitt.

tom on January 10, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I’m not sure there is anything that will convince you. It seems your mind is made up.

Mitt has a great mind and a proven track record of success in turning failures into successes. Of all the serious contenders, he’s the only one that really embraces capitalism. He’s pro-life. He’s pro-marriage between one man and one woman. He’s more liberal on education spending but he’s for implementing free-market principles. He’s for a bolstered military.

The best part is he’s going to rip Obama to shreds in every debate–it’s going to be awesome.

grosven on January 10, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I often wondered how Obama can still have 46% approval considering his clear incompetency….but reading all these supposed conservatives being totally punked by Romney I realize that if this many conservatives can be so

stupid as to support an immoral and incompetent statist like Romney, it is not surprising that an incompetent, statist president can get people to approve him

georgealbert on January 10, 2012 at 2:22 AM

On the other hand SCO went down the tubes in spite of Darrl’s MBA and a hotshot lawyer in David Bois because they didn’t understand the geek culture.

AH_C on January 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM

SCO may not be the best example, since their business model was based on suing companies for copyright infringement on a product they didn’t actually own, but had only purchased the rights to distribute to customers for a fee. Especially since there was already a free version of Unix available.

Frankly, I was amazed by how long they managed to stay in business, since all they really had was the ability to BS people who didn’t understand how weak their claims really were.

But it certainly does prove that an MBA doesn’t guarantee good business decisions.

tom on January 10, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Not treating the base with contempt might be a good start. It’s why McCain lost to W in 2000, and Mitt seems determined to follow McCain’s lead.

grosven on January 10, 2012 at 2:11 AM

There’s not much of a case to make for Romney as a conservative. There’s almost no reason to believe he would “rip” anyone “to shreds” in any debate. I don’t know where that delusion even comes from.

tom on January 10, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Myron Falwell on January 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Psst, George Will cannot stand Romney.

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Just askin’.

Just Sayin on January 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Heh. Would you look at that! Thanks :) Hope it gets around.

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 3:07 AM

NEW SONG FOR PERRY
Carolina by Morning

nancysabet on January 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

That was horrendous. I feel bad for Rick Perry if the person who wrote those embarrassing, laughable lyrics is in any way involved with his official campaign.

bluegill on January 10, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Here is one thing this comment proves, good managers like to improve the performance of people that work for them.

Bad managers, figure lets just fire everyone we dont think did a good job in our view.

Clearly, Romney, as his performance at Bain shows, is an incompetent and bad manager

georgealbert on January 10, 2012 at 5:47 AM

The George Soros-Elisabeth Warren Republican: Newton Leroy Gingrich, Rick Perry, Jon Huntsman.

Falz on January 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Falz on January 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Actually, you bring up an interesting name: Soros. He’s a capitalist, too, you know. Do you think that we should defend his under-handed way of making money, too?

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I too like to fire people and have never lost a minutes sleep because of it. I do however hate to lay people off and have lost sleep trying to avoid doing it. The difference is when I fire someone, it is for cause. When I lay someone off, it is not their poor performance that is the cause; it is mine.

meci on January 10, 2012 at 8:23 AM

AH_C on January 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Agreed, AH_C – Newt and Perry need to step up the quality of their criticisms. Otherwise it’s just noise.

Just askin’.

Just Sayin on January 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Heh. Would you look at that! Thanks :) Hope it gets around.

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 3:07 AM

AG: As much as I dislike the mandate (okay, hate the mandate), the whole Connector set up is almost worse, I think. Everything from limiting choice, to determining what insurance must cover, to deciding on their own what qualifies as “affordable” insurance, to determining on their own who qualifies for a “hardship” waiver from the insurance requirement….It’s pretty bad from a free-market, individual liberty perspective.

Go Perry!!!!

Just Sayin on January 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Easy to defend in a debate with Obama.

“American’s won’t have the option to fire the service provider with Obama’s image of Government being the only service provider available. American’s want FREEDOM OF CHOICE. Obama does not.”

Debate winner!

Carnac on January 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I just want Romney to make me stop HATING him.

Myron Falwell on January 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM

well, you can get specialized help for that (as in shrink, psychological consultant, etc)…

jimver on January 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Go Perry!!!!

Just Sayin on January 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM

where?? the man can’t put 2 sentences together, and when he manages to (as rare as this is), it’s usually, alas, a big gaffe…

jimver on January 10, 2012 at 6:32 PM

jimver on January 10, 2012 at 6:32 PM

His last six debates have been great — pundits even said he won a few of them.

As for not being able to put 2 sentences together, you do know that he called Obama a “socialist”, right? And said that the Founding Fathers did not want our country to be socialist? Who else has said that? NO ONE.

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 11:31 PM