Perry joins pile-on against Mitt over Bain Capital

posted at 12:30 pm on January 9, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Newt may have started the trend of going after Mitt Romney for his work at Bain Capital, but it looks like Rick Perry is sensing an opportunity and hopping on the bandwagon. At a recent appearance he unleashed some quotes of his own, going after Mitt for being heartless enough to lay off workers.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry picked up the attacks on Mitt Romney this morning, trying to capitalize off the former Bain Capital executive’s comment that he once feared getting a pink slip.

“Now I have no doubt that Mitt Romney was worried about pink slips — whether he was going to have enough of them to hand out because his company Bain Capital with all the jobs that they killed, I’m sure he was worried that he’d run out of pink slips,” Perry told the crowd at Mama Penn’s restaurant.

Perry laid into Romney for heading a company which Perry alleged eliminated hundreds of South Carolina jobs.

“There is something inherently wrong when getting rich off failure and sticking it to someone else is how you do your business and I happen to think that’s indefensible,” said Perry. “If you’re a victim of Bain Capital’s downsizing, it’s the ultimate insult for Mitt Romney to come to South Carolina and tell you he feels your pain, because he caused it.”

Maybe it’s just me, but I really haven’t been able to get behind this line of attack since it first came up. I could see if this argument was taking place among Democrats trying to garner favor with the unions, but it seems like Mitt has a fairly simply response to this. We live in a free market system where there are winners and losers, and the government doesn’t get to pick which is which. In some cases, companies where Romney brought the ax down wound up turning around and flourishing. Others simply turned out not to be viable.

The Wall Street Journal has an analysis of all the companies Bain got involved with. It indicates a record which is admittedly hit and miss over a very long period of time, but did wind up producing an overall positive return on investment.

Newt and Perry might get some traction from pointing out that Bain charged these companies very large management fees for their services, which in some cases still resulted in the companies going under, but nobody forced them to hire Bain in the first place. All in all, it just sounds like something that could backfire on candidates looking to claim the mantle of fiscal responsibility.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

I have yet to hear a so-called “conservative” Republican candidate talk about “constitutional conservatism.” And I have a feeling we won’t hear it at all between now and November next.

gryphon202 on January 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM

You & I, & the others like us, who want only what the Founders laid out, are going to be sadly disappointed, like always.
I’m real sick of how stupid people are.
This obvious point doesn’t seem to mean a whole lot to the masses.
These candidates BLOW at this.
It’s what makes me pray Ron Paul gets sane.
And that is a losing battle, too.
We’re pretty much FUBARed no matter where we turn, you & I. :(

Badger40 on January 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

So why don’t you OWS Perry supporters tell us more about how your Perry is going to pick winners and losers?

northdallasthirty on January 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Same as he does in Texas.

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I support in no way any form of the communist ideology.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Except preventing the purchase of distressed companies, turning them around, and selling them, as the Obama method is so much better.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

You do know if you don’t like Texas and Perry as Gov., you can move – right?
I hear it’s booming in California and Illinois.
TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM

For 10 years, I’ve defended Perry against liberal attacks as well as against the close the border conservatives. This is just a stupid strategy for him and whoever advised him to go there is giving him bad advice. This topic is hot in Texas and is only going to get hotter in the race to replace Hutchison by the Dem candidate, which will be after the GOP nomination and during the general. Perry is making Obama’s anti-Perry campaign ads from him and this is a stupid strategy.

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Because Perry instituted a law preventing the purchasing of distressed companies created jobs for those laid off by Romney.

Right?

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Right.

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Boats48 on January 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Doesn’t matter.

The Dems and Media will portray him as the cold, corporate raider who believes in big government anyway, and he hates dogs just like Michael Vick.

He is just TOO vulnerable and cannot campaign against Obamacare.

;-)

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Based on what I’ve seen of Perry, Anita is almost certainly doing 3/4 of his job. He needed Jindal to explain to him his own tax plan.

andy85719 on January 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Weenie.

Mcguyver on January 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I’ll match my integrity with yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Such a victim who can’t answer a simple question. If you don’t know say so, or ignore. Geesh.

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Right.

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

You are capable of answering the simple question, why is Perry advocating something different, now? Your fellow Perry supporter wasn’t up to it. Are you?

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Perry needs to watch his step. People are looking for consistent principles this time around. After all, if not for the question of consistency, Romney would’ve ALREADY had the Republican nomination in the bag. It’s no time to wander off the reservation on something so basic.

Murf76 on January 9, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I agree with you in principle but as someone who wants badly to see Romney taken down, I have mixed feelings about it. Let’s face it, they all tried to attack him on his real weaknesses and none of that ever got any traction. He won in Iowa and he’s still ahead in New Hampshire. Time to start throwing stuff against the wall and see what sticks. I know it’s a risky and somewhat questionable strategy but hey, it’s crunch time.

kg598301 on January 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

So what changed? Perry laid you off like Romney did with Bain Capital?

Because you’ve been one of the few Texans rabidly attacking your good governor on this forum.

Kay Bailey Hutchison strike a bell?

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Actually he did get a bailout.

El_Terrible on January 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Tell me about it.

dhugh on January 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

andy85719 on January 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Does that mean she should be on top of the ticket?

Mcguyver on January 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Keep building those strawmen.

I can see how you elect those 9/11 Truthers up in Minnesota.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

andy85719 on January 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

you cant attack his policies so you gotta attack his person.

chasdal on January 9, 2012 at 2:15 PM

So while I can certainly understand your desire to protect your candidate of choice, the two situations simply aren’t equivalent.

WolvenOne on January 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

You are wrong there. Newt is not my choice. I am still sticking with Perry.

antisocial on January 9, 2012 at 2:15 PM

gryphon202 on January 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM

You won’t because the primaries are tilted towards independents and Democrats. Iowa, NH, and SC are open primaries which means Indies and Dems are coming over into our primaries and to cause havoc. That is why Mitt is doing so well. If the primaries were closed Mitt wouldn’t be polling over 15%.

Please read Jay Cost’s piece explaining this.

Bill C on January 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM

You don’t deserve a response Obama never worked for MF global.
Romney worked for Bain. How hard is that to comprehend?

liberal4life on January 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Bush never worked for Enron, either, but you claimed he was responsible.

You’re being held to your own standards, bigot. And you just made a fool of yourself, especially since Obama was clearly working with Corzine and helping MF Global escape oversigh.

northdallasthirty on January 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

momoftxmomof3 on January 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Thank you so much. I think the key word here that I have been missing is “underfunded”. Obviously insurance premiums go up when there are large payoffs, but to underfund something suggests that money is being diverted and brings up the question was that to help or to just take advantage of the insurance later. This is why I come to HotAir, to learn. Again thank you.

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Keep building those strawmen.

I can see how you elect those 9/11 Truthers up in Minnesota.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

You are very bright at the internets, are you? Funny post, though!

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Tell me about it.

dhugh on January 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Bain got $10 million in loans forgiven from the feds, Romney and Co made $4 million off of the deal.

El_Terrible on January 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Well, that’s it, then. We officially have no conservatives left in the GOP field. Gunning for Mitt is a great idea, but these guys are all going after the one thing he shouldn’t have to answer for. They are all playing the populist Progressive game, and they should all be ashamed of themselves. How many jobs did Mittens help save by turning these failing companies around? Do these guys even understand how leveraged buyouts work, and that profitable, strong companies are never the target of hostile takeovers for a reason? Idiots.

holygoat on January 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

So Perry is going to argue that the government should redistribute wealth.

What’s the difference?

northdallasthirty on January 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Perry is 10th amendment Tea Party populist…Reform Washington.

He can make the case against Obama for abusing federal agencies & going after the states like when Obama tried to shut down the Texas Grid,NRLB in SC or suing AZ or screwing up the Gulf Recovery….ayfkm?

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

You’re right. Being able to communicate is important. I can’t wait for Romney to explain how Mormonism isn’t a racist cult.

Bill C on January 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

These guys can do it better.

Gunlock Bill on January 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

In short, in cases like these, venture capitalists are a convenient scape goat. However, they serve a vital and productive function within the business community, and directly contribute to job growth.

WolvenOne on January 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I confess, IDK much about them, but that’s what I have always thought they were.
If they are working within the law, then we have no right to attack them.
If you are a company, you are going to make $$$ any way you legally can.
SO?!
BTW-as much as I hate govt sugah daddy money, it’s safe to say probably ALL of us have benefited from it, either directly, or indirectly.
The insurance/pension thing, meh. WTH cares?
Is it legal?
Then can we please just look at the politics of the man?
Clearly, he was/is a successful businessman.

Badger40 on January 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

You are wrong there. Newt is not my choice. I am still sticking with Perry.

antisocial on January 9, 2012 at 2:15 PM

My mistake. Regardless, there is still a large difference between the attacks on Gingrichs record and lobbying, and the attacks on Romneys capitalism.

WolvenOne on January 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM

You’re comparing Bain to MF Global? Wow, jump the shark.

blink on January 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Do not feed the troll.

dhugh on January 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Bill C on January 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

He’s done that by barely even mentioning his Mormon faith this cycle. He made that mistake in 08 worrying about whether it would be a problem with primary voters too much and that kept it in the conversation.

The fact is Perry’s team still doesn’t get it about SS.

Bluray on January 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM

How is that a strawman? You seem anti-Bain capital. You should explain why.

blink on January 9, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I am a capitalist.

I am against socializing losses through Federal bailouts.

Apparently that is hard to grasp for Mittbots.

You are for socialism if there is an (R) next to the name or if the candidate looks a certain way.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Again, folks–it’s not capitalism under attack here. Perry and Newt are trying to kill the meme that Romney is not vulnerable to attack in the general election.

The Romneybots have told folks if we’d all shut up and nominate Mitt, 0bama won’t be able to lay a glove on him in the general election. Well, he’s vulnerable.

Sekhmet on January 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

We can tell Perry was a Dem. He’s got the class warfare act down pat.

andy85719 on January 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Weenie.

Mcguyver on January 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Perhaps you should check your integrity on the Sabbath instead of on Sunday because that is holding to the integrity of the “day of rest” (and I’m not even a “day of rest worshiper” in the extreme religious sense).

Good going in avoiding the issue of integrity in our candidates and the excuses you make to shill for them anyway.

Do you happen to make $40 million dollars a year doing this?

Well shame on you because Rush Limbaugh does.

Mcguyver on January 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

El_Terrible on January 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

That’s cool.

Mitt Romney has nice hair so the bailout was OK.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

holygoat on January 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Yup, and that’s why some of us (too few) are pissed that Perry jumped the shark on this one.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Please read Jay Cost’s piece explaining this.

Bill C on January 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Entrance and Exit polls in Iowa would disagree with you…

Bluray on January 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Perry has stated this is a Liberal vs. Conservative election.

Right now he’s going after the liberal Romney & so is Newt.

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

dhugh on January 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Another thank you. So they were allowed to underfund the pension fund? Was it to divert resources to help the company recover financially? Do you think private insurance companies could cover stuff like this? I guess the could hardly do worse. Yes, the government should get out of non constitutionally required businesses.

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

You seriously want to know what Romney did wrong with Bain Capital?

Okay, let me try.

1. Vulture capitalism

(Vulture Capitalist) Negative term for an investor who smells fast money and who is not serious about investing in companies with long-term potential.

Bain Capital was a vulture capitalist firm. Where Romney smelled fast money, he went for it – the lives of those who were impacted be damned.

Forget the crap about him saving companies.

2. Let’s have Huntsman explain further:

OT: Huntsman: Romney likes firing people, I like creating jobs

“It also means if you don’t like what they do, you can fire them.” Romney said, “I like being able to fire people who provide services to me. If someone doesn’t give me the good service I need, I’m going to go get somebody else to provide that service to me.”

Huntsman’s response? “What’s clear is he likes firing people, I like creating jobs.”

A low blow against Romney? Sure… but it’s a blow nonetheless.

The Establishment conservative media ensured that attacks against Romney using Romneycare failed to gain traction. The liberal media did not also care to pick up that attack line.

What they didn’t expect was for Gingrich, Perry, and Huntsman to attack Romney from his left flank ala his attacks against Perry on Social Security.

And Romney sneaking to the right to attack Perry on the Texas Dream Act.

All is fair in love and war. Politics ain’t no Bainbag.

Capiche?

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

El_Terrible on January 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

And you got this from Politico? You need to work on your sources.

dhugh on January 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Perry has stated this is a Liberal vs. Conservative election.

Right now he’s going after the liberal Romney & so is Newt.

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

The liberal bailout “Republicans” are winning. They don’t disagree with Obama. They just want to be the ones doing the bailing.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

We can tell Perry was a Dem. He’s got the class warfare act down pat.

andy85719 on January 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Cracks in a glass jaw hurt don’t they?

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Mcguyver on January 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

What are you talking about?

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Ooops… forgot my linky:

OT: Huntsman: Romney likes firing people, I like creating jobs

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Apparently that is hard to grasp for Mittbots.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

You know, that post would have been a great time to throw in something about strawmen.

Just trying to help.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM

We can tell Perry was a Dem. He’s got the class warfare act down pat.

andy85719 on January 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

And why is that a bad thing since Romney is worse than a Dem?

And doesn’t the GOP Establishment love Dems? Heck, tey treat them better than their own base.

Ha ha ha ha…

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Sekhmet on January 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Bingo and well done!

Romney can’t beat Obama. We need a conservative wit a strong record.

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

OT: Huntsman: Romney likes firing people, I like creating jobs

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

So it’s OK for Perry to go Full Marxist because Huntsman’s gone Full Marxist?

I almost liked it better when a poster linked to Ted Kennedy, to prove Perry wasn’t going Full Marxist.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Just trying to help.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM

If the shoe fits wear it.

Did Bain receive multiple Federal bailouts? YES. Are you defending them? Yes.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM

So what changed? Perry laid you off like Romney did with Bain Capital?

Kay Bailey Hutchison strike a bell?

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I’m not attacking Perry. I’m providing the facts about his tenure. His base, the social cons, who support for President will not stick up for him when the going gets tough.

I watched the social cons wrap their arms around Bush to beat Gore and then turn on him when he moved ahead with the very agenda he campaigned on. Then did the same to defeat Kerry.

Now, I’m not up for watching another Texas Governor’s reputation destroyed by the very same ‘conservatives’ who relentlessly attacked Bush. I know what his ‘supporters’ will do to him when he moves towards .. amnesty, and he will. I don’t think Perry wants to be President, I think Anita wants to be First Lady.

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I must say I am enjoying today’s whining from Perry haters and the Mittbots.

So Romney attacking Perry and Gingrich using all sorts of underhanded tactics was fine and dandy.

Now that the wheel has turned, the sky is falling?

If Romney can’t survive this line of attack from his rivals in the primary, you think he will survive Obama?

Delusions…

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Just trying to help.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM

If the shoe fits wear it.

Did Bain receive multiple Federal bailouts? YES. Are you defending them? Yes.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM

We have been steamrolled with Romney’s inevitable electability…and yet conservatives have balked.

In this Political Climate Romney cannot beat Obama.

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

It is beginning to look like we believe that the candidate with business experience is not the one with the credentials to grow the economy rather it are the ones that, like Gingrich, that have suckled at the government teat all their adult lives who are best qualified. In that case, we might as well stick with Obama.

However, I agree that it is best to come up now. This is a great time for Romney to learn to rebutt the arguments against him.

The Opinionator on January 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM

You have defined why government and corporations are different. You haven’t argued why government choosing winners and losers is worse than corporations choosing winners and losers. People still lose their jobs either way. They still suffer hardship. Its just in one instance people on Wall Street get richer. In the other instance, potentially predatory practices are curbed and maybe government beauracracy expands (that beauracracy employs people btw). But aggressive mergers and acquisitions only benefit those at the top, lots of regular folks lose their job. Winners and losers are still chosen and often in very arbitrary ways. The inter politics of a board for example. Is a board of directors really all that different from a government panel? Except that they make a ton more money?

libfreeordie on January 9, 2012 at 1:21 PM

People keep trying the government=force argument with you and it is obvious you don’t care/don’t grasp the difference.

That’s ok, there’s another very good reason for business rather than government to pick winners and losers. Government SUCKS at picking winners. There may be “connected” people who get corporations’ investment, but if they suck, the corporation gets punished by losing profit.

If a government picks a loser, what happens? They shovel more money to the loser.

The incentives for a business are superior to the incentives in government. We prefer the business making these types of decisions because the government is far more influenced by political causes, special interests, and bureaucratic inertia. All these things can exist in the private markets as well, but picking a loser in a private market is punished. Picking a loser in the government? Rewarded. Generally with more cash shovelled to the loser.

makattak on January 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM

What a crock.

You sound like one of those Texans who are afraid of what will happen in Texas if Perry leaves. Perry isn’t going to go amnesty…he will secure the border and let Americans decide.

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM

El_Terrible on January 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

WOW!!!

Quoting “facts” from Ted, (the honest) Kennedy.

Just WOW!!!!

Is forgiving a portion of a loan the same as a “bailout”?

Gunlock Bill on January 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

The Opinionator on January 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM

It really is better now, regardless of how hard it seems. And Gingrich is destroying his chances in the way it is being done, so you should consider it a twofer.

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Here we go…

The “Perry didn’t want to be President, Anita wanted to be First Lady” crowd.

And you are female, I presume?

Do I smell some female jealousy here? Or were you privy to their conversation?

I sure wish all good men like Perry always had supportive wives like Anita.

I take it you wouldn’t want your boyfriend/husband to aspire to his highest goals, right?

Please drop the misinformation. It is because of so-called conservatives like yourself that America is in danger of losing out on one of its potentially best Presidents ever in the form o Rick Perry.

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

it are

Nice grammar. I beclowned myself.

The Opinionator on January 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

In this Political Climate Romney cannot beat Obama.

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

The funny thing is these Mittbots are to the left of Ted Kennedy!

Even Ted Kennedy attacked Mitt Romney for taking the Federal Bailout at Bain!

Companies should succeed or fail on their own. Not be bailed out!

Romney wants every citizen to pay for his losses.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM

And you got this from Politico? You need to work on your sources.

dhugh on January 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Well I guess because its from the Polito, and although there are records of it happening, it isn’t true that Bain got a bailout of $10 million.

El_Terrible on January 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM

blink on January 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Good luck with that explanation with independents.

El_Terrible on January 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM

The Opinionator on January 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

No you didn’t.

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM

If the shoe fits wear it.

Did Bain receive multiple Federal bailouts? YES. Are you defending them? Yes.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Well, boy, if AzBlueMeanie says Mittens was bailed out, then who am I to say you suck at the internets, proclaiming others guilty of creating straw men, while you yourself are creating straw men.

Now, should myself and others just give up, taking Perry’s new found policy positions, to their logical conclusions? Perry’s voters seem to have issues, arguing them, and frankly, it makes me cry, seeing what the Republican Party has turned into.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM

<blockquote Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Yep. And i will enthusiastically support whomever the candidate is a because Obama is that bad. But I am astounded that those calling themselves Conservatives are using this OWS rhetoric. At least Romney worked in the private sector. Newt made his money the old fashioned way; lobbying after he left Congress.

The Opinionator on January 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM

And Texas Gal, Bush suffered because he was no fisal conservative. Spending run amok and guess who were his key men and which horse they are backing in 2012?

Yep, Romney – that’s who.

If you thought Bush made a poor job defending himself leading to the electoral blowouts of 2006 and 2008, wait for Romney as President.

Here is someone who took over from a Republican Gov. in Mass. and lost it to a Dem. after he run away from re-election.

You see – he was running for the Presidency, for Pete’s sake.

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I think allowed is too strong of a word. Lack of necessary oversight is maybe a better scenario of what took place. However, PBGC has a vested interest in companies continuing in business in hopes of avoiding the liability. Not sure how PBGC works currently. It has been a few years since I was involved with them.(I did not work for them. Have been in private enterprise for longer tham I care to admit.)

Private companies could cover stuff like this but when the going gets rough the premiums increase to cover losses. It would be very difficult for insurance underwriters to rate the premium.

Another government notable is flood insurance. Private companies will not write flood coverage in coastal areas. Guess what? The FEDS do.
With our money. Brings new meaning to hurricane warnings. Question always is do all of us pay for flood damage in coastal areas or should the people that live there pay?

dhugh on January 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Good luck with that explanation with independents stupid.

El_Terrible on January 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Fixed, for correctly identifying the target audience of Perry’s latest policy pronouncement.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

As usual all you’ve got are personal attacks. You come across as a very immature person.

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Amnesty isn’t about securing the border. Every candidate except Paul will be forced to do that. The issue of amnesty is about what will be done with those illegals already here. So when he moves ahead with some kind of ‘resident illegal okay to work card and free to stay’ program …. remember.

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

The Opinionator on January 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I’m actually a Newt supporter because I believe his history of governing conservatively surpasses Gov. Romney but I think this Bain roll out has been handled disgracefully. I see not reason to use class warfare, especially since Newt’s bank account is pretty enviable. I haven’t been a big fan of Gov. Romney, simply because he is not aggressive enough, I will have no problem embracing an accomplished successful business man if that is what he is shown to be. And I think it will be.

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Yep, us Perry supporters tend not to take sh*t from anybody.

You mess with us, you’ll regret it.

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Rick Perry would be so proud. /

Its supporters like you who threaten people that are the reason why so many are fed up with Perry. (I am using Twerps logic here.)

You have driven many people on the fence away from your candidate.

PS: Rick Perry would be so proud of you. (: NOT

Frobenius on January 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM

blink on January 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Do you believe there is such a thing a bailout?

Or do just favor them in every case?

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I actually want someone who can lay off FEDERAL workers.

Just sayin.

Gunlock Bill on January 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM

dhugh on January 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM

LOL! I have an ongoing joke here that I am going to run for president on a National Storm Drain platform. No droughts, no brush fires and we get to keep both the California farmlands and the Delta Smelt.

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

C’mon this just looks bad for Romney in this economy…

“Perry cited two South Carolina companies impacted by Bain Capital’s downsizing. Holson Burnes, a company controlled by Bain Capital in Gafney, shut down a photo album plant, causing 150 workers to lose their jobs after Bain Capital charged them $20 million in management fees. Perry also cited GS Industries in Georgetown, S.C., which Bain Capital merged with a company in Kansas City, resulting in the dismissal of 700 steelworkers in the two cities and the payment of $65 million in management fees

he also continued the attacks on Rick Santorum for voting to raise the debt ceiling eight times and supporting a number of earmarks…

But it wasn’t all negative attacks Perry lobbed at his opponents. The Texas governor heaped a little praise on Ron Paul when asked if he’d be a suitable chairman of the Federal Reserve, saying Paul would be the “ideal person to head up the Fed and put a little fear in their hearts.”

from the link

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM

1. Vulture capitalism

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

1. Explain why Bain were vulture capitalists.

2. Explain the difference between a vulture capitalists and a deep value investor.

blink on January 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I am outraged. Outraged I tell you. Look what the PerryNista TheRightMan is doing TRASHING poor Mitt. I suppose you want to rip out Michelle Malkin’s eyes because she wrote an article unfavorable to your Gawd Perry.

PS: How Sad (:
PSS: Very Sad for Team Perry (:

So its OK for TheRightMan to say Vulture Capitalism to bash poor Mitt but I can’t say “Perry needs to Grow a Bain.”

Rick Perry would be so proud. /(sarc tag)

Frobenius on January 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Entrance and Exit polls in Iowa would disagree with you…

Bluray on January 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

If you were trying to sabotage a caucus would you tell a stranger?

Bill C on January 9, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Mcguyver on January 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

What are you talking about?

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Comprehend much?

Stop shilling for and making excuses for unconstitutional actions by any government and/or candidates, then perhaps you will gain comprehension skills.

Go study some history and you may have the ability to debate me on the same intellectual level, until then don’t even bother…..

First lesson for you, is to try and understand where this corporate socialism started: Abraham Lincoln was the first to subsidize – and therefore implement – corporate socialism when he bailed out the flailing railroad tycoons. From then on it has been a steady slide towards ever bigger government control, elitist pandering to the masses and the government determining who wins and loses…

If we want to kill the socialist tree, well, then we have to find the roots of it’s origin, and, shilling for and making excuses for your candidate because he/she is the “lessor” of evil choices, merely promotes more socialist evils, because we are still feeding the socialist tree..

Mcguyver on January 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Yep, Romney – that’s who.

You see – he was running for the Presidency, for Pete’s sake.

TheRightMan on January 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Bush campaigned as a ‘compasionate conservative’ and Medicare Part D and No Child Left Behind were part of his campaign platform. After defeated Gore and moved ahead with his promises, the ‘true conservatives’ turned on him. A means to a path to citizenship for illegals was also a part of his campaign. The ‘true conservatives’ turned on him after he served their purposes and defeated Kerry. Right here at Hot Air, Malkins was one of the most vile. Now, here we go again with Perry. If he was to be elected, they would turn on him too… no doubt about that. And if you stuck by him thru all of if, then you would be in the same 30% I was who stuck by Bush, because I knew who I was voting for.

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I don’t like Mitt Romney, but I like communists trolls even less.
blink on January 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

You are a bad parody.

Does communist = “somebody questioning Romney” to you?

Bain capital received Federal bailouts. Sorry. It’s on the wires. If you are explaining you are losing.

I do not fault Romney or Bain for firing anyone or anyone losing their jobs.

What I do fault him for is playing with bailout money. Nobody is going to bail me out.

You seem so quick to cover for crony capitalism. It’s sick.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Tell ya what, Captain Straw Man. Why don’t you Perry reporters stick to what he actually said?

I guess I’d feel ashamed of having to stick up for that kind of moronic Marxism, if it came from my candidate. I feel for you, Perry supporters.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM

In coming. I am sure the Branch Perridians will explode in hatred at anyone who points out the flaws of their candidate.

Mitt is no Vulture. Mitt is a fine and decent American who merely wants what is best for himself and csdeven.

Frobenius on January 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

The fact is Perry’s team still doesn’t get it about SS.

Bluray on January 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I think ponzi scheme is a pretty good description of SS. But SS is an easy issue to demagogue and that’s what Romney did. So spar us the indignation over Bain capital. It is an issue and Romney has to answer for his actions.

Bill C on January 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I’m just goin on what he’s said. Which added to the records of each candidate is what I’ve tried to do with each.

Listen to what they say…read their policies…look at their records.

Perry said there needs to be a secure border first & then America can have that conversation and the people will decide.

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM

How about you don’t edit what I post and you just stick to campaigning for Jesse Ventura or whatever it is you do up there.

tetriskid on January 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Mcguyver on January 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Okay, so given our choices, what do you recommend?

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Of course there is. But there is certainly a difference between a negotiated balance sheet restructuring and a bailout.

Have you ever heard of bankruptcy? Did you know that sometimes debt is reduced during bankruptcy? Did you know that sometimes lenders and borrowers negotiate certain debt restructurings without resorting to the incredible cost of a bankruptcy?

Do you think that bankruptcy protection is wrong? Do you think that lenders should always be allowed to take possession of a company’s assets immediately upon debt default?

blink on January 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

That’s going to make for a snappy commercial.

Bill C on January 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

What are you talking about?

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Comprehend much?

Stop shilling…

Mcguyver on January 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Hey the crud under Cindy’s toenails is better than you (taking a famous line from the past by another poster).

Of course she doesn’t even have crud under her toenails, but if she did…well…you know what I mean pal… (:

Frobenius on January 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM