Perry joins pile-on against Mitt over Bain Capital

posted at 12:30 pm on January 9, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Newt may have started the trend of going after Mitt Romney for his work at Bain Capital, but it looks like Rick Perry is sensing an opportunity and hopping on the bandwagon. At a recent appearance he unleashed some quotes of his own, going after Mitt for being heartless enough to lay off workers.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry picked up the attacks on Mitt Romney this morning, trying to capitalize off the former Bain Capital executive’s comment that he once feared getting a pink slip.

“Now I have no doubt that Mitt Romney was worried about pink slips — whether he was going to have enough of them to hand out because his company Bain Capital with all the jobs that they killed, I’m sure he was worried that he’d run out of pink slips,” Perry told the crowd at Mama Penn’s restaurant.

Perry laid into Romney for heading a company which Perry alleged eliminated hundreds of South Carolina jobs.

“There is something inherently wrong when getting rich off failure and sticking it to someone else is how you do your business and I happen to think that’s indefensible,” said Perry. “If you’re a victim of Bain Capital’s downsizing, it’s the ultimate insult for Mitt Romney to come to South Carolina and tell you he feels your pain, because he caused it.”

Maybe it’s just me, but I really haven’t been able to get behind this line of attack since it first came up. I could see if this argument was taking place among Democrats trying to garner favor with the unions, but it seems like Mitt has a fairly simply response to this. We live in a free market system where there are winners and losers, and the government doesn’t get to pick which is which. In some cases, companies where Romney brought the ax down wound up turning around and flourishing. Others simply turned out not to be viable.

The Wall Street Journal has an analysis of all the companies Bain got involved with. It indicates a record which is admittedly hit and miss over a very long period of time, but did wind up producing an overall positive return on investment.

Newt and Perry might get some traction from pointing out that Bain charged these companies very large management fees for their services, which in some cases still resulted in the companies going under, but nobody forced them to hire Bain in the first place. All in all, it just sounds like something that could backfire on candidates looking to claim the mantle of fiscal responsibility.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

So 5 Republican Tejanos won eats in the legislature. The legislature drew up the new maps. Democrats had the judges redraw the maps so the Gop would lose those seats and 5 Tejano democrats would win these seats. Now Abbott is arguing the case before SCOTUS.

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM

No, 5 Texans won Republican seats. I think they would be insulted by your referring to them as Tejano. You evidently don’t understand the political inferences in that name.

Yes, I am very aware and involved in the Texas GOP and I am up to date on the situation with the re-districting map.

No it’s an apt discription of Romney’s dismal electoral history & if he wasn’t so loaded he wouldn’t even be considered that’s how bad his history is.

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM

But you and I were not discussing Romney’s election history, we were discussing Perry’s position on illegals and how he will deal with the problem, which will be some form of amnesty. And my point was that if he is elected and when he moves in that direction, those who now support him need to do so with the understanding that he will move in that direction.

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM

it’s damned annoying.

workingclassartist

I find references to lack of medication, delusions, trolls and the habit of the Perry Girls to call people who aren’t Perry cultists “gd bigots, jerks, haters, etc.” damned annoying and, as you said earlier, like “lowball JFK/Dallas jokes.”

But that doesn’t stop any of you from doing it. Rather pecksniffian of you all, don’t ya think?

Horace on January 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM

But you and I were not discussing Romney’s election history…
Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I was quoting Abbott form this morning interview with Mark Davis…If Atty. Gen Abbott uses that term that you would be offended is a little lame.

secondly I was discussing both…I usually do when it comes to Romney cause he has a lousy record and that is part of it.

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Does that make me more interesting? Quoting our little Marxist’s own words? Does that make me less annoying? I’m flattered that you’re interested in how my butt feels, but I must say, I’m married so no thanks.

I bet more than a few Marxists’ legs get tingly with that statement.

You know, children, it’s rather liberating not ever getting cult like attached to any particular candidate. Pretty ugly stuff when they go Full Retard, and you can’t jump off that train. That way you don’t have to defend Marxism, when you’re candidate ditches capitalism.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Horace on January 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Mitt isn’t having a good day…

*snif*

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Wow, I’m seeing a lot of fear here in the eyes of Romney-supporters.

IcedTea on January 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM

It’s not fear, it’s a mix of bewilderment and thrill.

Only Grade A f’n morons would bash capitalism in a Republican primary.

Gingrich, Perry and Huntsman = Grade A f’n morons.

haner on January 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Only Grade A f’n morons would bash capitalism in a Republican primary.

haner on January 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM

There you have it. The one sentence summary of the entire thread.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Rush Limbaugh was complaining about the same thing on his show today. Of course he mentioned this during his segment where he admits to having dinner with Gingrich supporters.

Is this what the Republican Party has come down to? Anti-Capitalists?

Rush is pathetic.

mark cantu on January 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM

workingclass artist on January 9, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I’m not offended. Abbot was using the term “Tejano” in the political context that I was talking about. Most Tejanos align with the Democratic Party in Texas. You said to me that Tejano was the mexican translation for Texan. I told you that I knew that, and said it was also had political connotations. Abbott was in essence thumbing his nose at the Dems. My point is that those were Texans elected to Republican seats. What it proves it that the GOP can increase the percentage of voters who have hispanic heritage without pandering to them and you would prefer they do.

Secondly, you might have been discussing both, but I was discussing Perry’s position on illegals. But I do understand your ‘usual when it comes to Romney’.

Texas Gal on January 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM

The Five panel just discussed this. They advised Occuperry and Newt 99er to back off this campaign type of negative campaigning because it will blow up in their faces. They sound like Obama operatives and whiny Occupier socialist protesters.

The Boss emeritus knocked Occuperry and Newt 99er in her column today for this kind of Obamist nonsense.

Philly on January 9, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Fear, I smell it every time I see one of the Romney-supporters making a vitriolic attack against Perry and his supporters.

You see, if the Romney folks truly believed Perry was no threat, they wouldn’t bother to continue to attack him.

IcedTea on January 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Mitt should make the case of Venture Capitalism (Bain) versus Venture Socialism (Solyndra). VC is about creating value. Solyndra was about rewarding contributors with tax payer funded subsidies. Bain would NOT have invested in Solyndra. If he is not up to that, he’s done.

monalisa on January 9, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I’m not a Romney supporter. The Five is right – these comments are a stance against capitalism and sure to cause campaign implosions.

OccuPerry and Newt 99 are more desperate to resort to these tactics. They should have begun taking their campaigns seriously sooner. Criticizing free enterprise? I’m beginning to think Bad Newt is the real Newt, which is how he was run out of Washington on a rail by the GOP.

Philly on January 9, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Well, any doubts I had about abandoning Perry over his bumbling buffoonery and his idiotic stance on immigration were dispelled with this pile-on.

Go back to Austin where you belong, Rick.

JannyMae on January 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I don’t know or think this is such a good idea by Team Perry..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM

So now the Mitt supporters are going to lament using Democrat attacks on Mitt after their complete silence when Mitt used Democrat scare tactics against Perry on Social Security. I’ve never seen such selective conservative outrage as I’ve seen come from Romney supporters this Primary.

Malachi45 on January 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM

QFT

Aslans Girl on January 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM

IcedTea on January 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM

You’ve got that right. Fear of Grade A f’ing morons taking over the Republican Party, driving people like me away, and giving us Obama Term 2.

I will not vote for a Marxist. I will not vote for a bumbling buffoon trying to appeal to Marxist retards. I will not vote for Mittens, Huntsman, Gingrich, and now Perry.

Fear is right. Retards in charge of the Republican Party does bring out the fear in those concerned that the United States of America stay a going concern.

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM

It’s not like Romney counted everyone who didn’t get fired and claimed to have saved their jobs, I mean, who would be stupid enough to evevn try to claim that and what kind of total moron would buy it?……oh wait

Dollayo on January 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM

malachi45

You are a dishonest liar. I have never in any post on any thread on Hot Air ever used the phrase “Perry is dumb.”

Prove me wrong – post where I have said that. You can’t because there is no such thing. So, you are a dishonest liar.

Horace on January 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM

workingclass artist

Thanks for explaining the incessant name-calling I pointed out. Your brilliant riposte, as always, has me reeling.

I wouldn’t know about Mitt having a “bad day, but Perry fell to 1% in New Hampshire, now trailing Roemer at 3% and he showed up with 5% in Florida. Now that’s a bad day. “Sniff.”

Horace on January 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM

To all the “this is capitalism at work crowd” out there, dig your heads out of the sand. It’s one thing to invest in a venture that fails and people loose their jobs. It’s another thing to use a leverage buy out strategy to prey on companies with the intention of draining them dry, picking every last dime that can be squeezed from its corpse and dumping the work force on the tax payers backs for unemployment and healthcare benefits. While being a corporate raider isn’t against the law its also not the practice that’s going to win the hearts and minds of voters especially in this political environment. Whether you like the argument or not its here to stay as long as Romney remains in the race. If you want to see it get to a fever pitch you just let Mitt win the nomination. I really don’t think this is the year to run a failed governor and the epitome of wall street greed. Just sayin….

iidvbii on January 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

TWO SONGS FOR PERRY..CHECK IT OUT
Have you ever seen this kind of enthusiasm and inspiration elicited by any other candidate but Perry?
Perry Woman

Carolina by Morning

nancysabet on January 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

So you believe that government was right to eliminate Glass Steagill? And that people’s individual liberty was being violated by the inability to merge securities, investment and insurance firms? Honestly?

libfreeordie on January 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I believe that if the constitution does not address the government’s ability to do something, enacting a law to regulate it is in fact unconstitutional. Same as our founding fathers believed.

gryphon202 on January 9, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Another Perry song from Rebecca Winterowd

cheetah2 on January 10, 2012 at 1:11 AM

To sum up the entire thread:

Democrat style attacks against Perry for wanting to reform social security including a web site and flyers to senior scare?

OKee dokee. No complaints. Das jus fine folks!

Perry and Gingrich criticize Romney for the worst excesses of predatory capitalism?

Perry and Newt are Marxists who should shut their mouths- Just SHUT THEIR MOUTHS- and and stop trying to interfere with the coronation of Mitt Romney. It doesn’t matter how many left wing positions he holds, we don’t hear you La la la we have our fingers in our ears, Romney is a conservative!! He will win and govern more conservatively than Coolidge and Reagan put together times three!!! We know this because he says so!!! Perry is Dumb! Newt is mean!!!!

Malachi45 on January 10, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Go back to Austin where you belong, Rick.

JannyMae on January 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Yeah, I’m sure you were ready to toss a coin before today.

Malachi45 on January 10, 2012 at 1:30 AM

malachi45

Horace on January 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM

LOL. You’re not worth my time, son.

Malachi45 on January 10, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Malachi45 on January 10, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Amen!

Aslans Girl on January 10, 2012 at 3:27 AM

It will certainly backfire on Perry, Gingrich and Huntsman. We all know that Perry is already toast. So there’s no need wasting any more time discussing that incompetent buffoon Rick Perry. But Gingrich is going to be continuing on until FL (when Mitt will lock up the nomination), since Newt now has funds from the billionaire. I don’t see these dishonest attacks on Romney and on free enterprise gaining Newt any new fans. As for Huntsman, who comes off like a smarmy Mr. Rogers, he has next to no support outside of New Hampshire, where he has zero chance of finishing in the top 2. So the backlash against Huntsman will be moot because Huntsman won’t be around much longer.

Again, Gingrich, who would lose to Obama in a landslide, is not going to win the nomination. Nobody seriously believes Newt can win. So, basically, unlikeable Newt’s role now is just to attack and attempt to weaken Romney, until Gingrich’s time in the spotlight expires. The fact that Romney is having to deal with these attacks now will make it old news when Obama tries the same thing in the fall. Ironically, even though Obama will undoubtedly use Gingrich’s quotes about Romney in attack ads, Romney is being made a stronger general election candidate now because he is getting the experience of deflecting these attacks.

Newt is a liar who claimed to be all about positive campaigning. The man is a disgusting slug.

bluegill on January 10, 2012 at 5:10 AM

bluegill on January 10, 2012 at 5:10 AM

Hahahaha…. deep breath… hahahahaha! You are so full of crap, bluegill! ALL you ever do is “waste time discussing” Perry! LOL! Take your own advice!

Hahaha.