Oh my: 58% of Republicans want more candidates to choose from

posted at 8:05 pm on January 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

None of the above.

The survey finds that 58 percent of Republican primary voters want more presidential choices, while just 37 percent say they are satisfied with the current field. The percentage of Republican primary voters that wants more choices has increased 12 percentage points since October

It’s mathematically possible for another candidate to enter the race as late as early February and still win enough delegates to take the nomination, though some deadlines for candidates to get on state ballots have already passed, including those in delegate-rich Virginia and Illinois. A late entry into the GOP race would come with potentially-overwhelming obstacles, including the need to instantly build a national campaign apparatus and do the hard work of getting on state ballots in an extremely compressed time period…

There is no candidate in the GOP field who more than one third of Republican primary voters say they would enthusiastically support if he were the nominee. Rick Santorum does best in terms of enthusiasm, with 33 percent saying they would enthusiastically support him.

I know what you’re thinking, but c’mon. It may be “mathematically possible” to jump in now and win the most delegates but the Romney and Paul machines would battle to the bitter end. There’s no one on the Republican landscape with the possible exception of Jeb Bush who could declare today and sweep the field, and I doubt even Jeb could pull that off with Romney fighting him state by state. And no, a brokered convention wouldn’t solve the problem. Can you imagine the public watching Romney, Paul, and one of the other candidates wage a 50-state war for the next six months, with all the media coverage that would entail, only to have some entirely new person dropped on them as nominee two months before the election? Voters aren’t going to hand the launch codes to someone like Paul Ryan or Chris Christie who’s unknown to 80 percent of the electorate. And the baggage of Jeb’s last name would be even heavier if he were picked at a brokered convention: It would smell illegitimate, as if the GOP establishment had somehow engineered a primary coup to install yet another member of the Bush royal family to the throne. There’s just no way out of this situation, I think.

How depressed are Republicans about their predicament? Compare this year to 2008 in Pew’s new data:

I can’t believe it’s actually as high as 51 percent. There must be some sort of floor, probably around 40 percent or so, for any given field just based on pure partisanship within the sample. Figure 40 percent of either party will always, always say that a particular field is good or excellent. This crew has convinced another 11 percent of the remaining 60 that they’re worthy. Wonderful.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Those of us who got something from college besides a degree aren’t so insecure as to rub it in other people’s faces to make ourselves feel superior. That’s something that’s more typical of a liberal than a conservative.

Just sayin’.

DRayRaven on January 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Jailbreak is a Romney supporter, for what it’s worth….

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM

You need to read posts more..My past with some folks goes back a long way..:)

PS..Sorry the smileys freak you out..:):)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

If there is one thing that could have made this terrible Republican primary even more terrible, it would have been Palin entering the race. Thank god she didn’t.

gumble on January 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Sarah, along with Mitch Daniels, Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio… even the mighty RINO Chris Christie… all knew better than to be subjected to this embarrassing process.

Let’s just concede the race to Obama anyway and prepare for 2016.

Myron Falwell on January 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM

As it is, tonight is a disgusting four hour plus infomerical for the SEC.

Myron Falwell on January 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

The jelly is strong in this one….heh!

MTLassen on January 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Just ignore them when you are already in that damned White House! JUST REDUCE THE SIZE OF THE FED INTO A MOLE, WILL YAH!

TheAlamos on January 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Lol, that’s the conundrum. If you dance with the devil and all that. IF she takes money from all those peoples, she will have to return favors in the name of pork and other Solyndra like loans. It will not decrease the size of teh government.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

You need to read posts more..

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

After all this time, you just sound like a snarky sock puppet for Alla../

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Jailbreak is a Romney supporter, for what it’s worth….

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I figured as much.

DRayRaven on January 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Huh?

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

It’s not that complicated: I see a lot of people pining away for a Palin candidacy (which isn’t going to happen). Palin didn’t make the ballot in a single state. In most state primaries, it takes a certain number of signatures on a petition to get on the ballot. If her supporters wanted so badly for her to run, why didn’t they collect the necessary signatures to get her on the ballot anywhere?

Walter Sobchak on January 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Myron Falwell on January 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I think you misunderstood me. A Palin candidacy would have turned this thing into more of a nightmare then it already is. And please don’t put Palin in the same class and Ryan and Rubio. I always found it insulting when Palin fans would start naming Ryan as a potential VP choice for Palin. Just wrong.

gumble on January 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I don’t want a greater quantity of people in the race (more). I just want a different group of people in the race (more). And I’d settle for 1 other person in the race if they were “good”. And by good I mean an articulate principled proven social and fiscal con without baggage.

AnotherOpinion on January 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I would suggest you do more reading..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Nah, most of us conservatives, the ones that have been to college, cant stand her.

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I’m a conservative that’s been to college and I think she’s great. Of course, it was only a 2 year state college, so that might explain it. It might explain why I voted for Reagan twice too.

smokinjoe on January 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Walter Sobchak on January 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

You are confusing the primary with the general. If the primary passed and she’s not still in, you will see a lot of us doing excetly that.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I would suggest you do more reading..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I read them all…/

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

“Cant” describes the usual Mittbot commentary.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Even as a programmed Mittbot, I have to say “Good one, fellow patriot. Now, come, join us in our servitude to the Republican elite.”

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

The graphic for this post, has got to be one of the best photo graphics of Mitt being circulated in the inter-nets.

Dr Evil on January 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM

PS..Sorry the smileys freak you out..:):)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Not at all I dig the smileys, it part of what makes you,… well you. ;)

Bmore on January 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

It shows..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Not at all I dig the smileys, it part of what makes you,… well you. ;)

Bmore on January 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Thanks..:)

PS..Never have understood the smiley attacks..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

smokinjoe on January 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Well at least I can congratulate you on being smart enough to know why you think Palin is great. Shouldve graduated from college…then you could be a Romney supporter.

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Would any of you who are critical of Palin please tell which of her positions you oppose without reverting to the juvenile schoolyard name-calling?

FirelandsO3 on January 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM

the situation with the 58%ers is akin to folks who are being entreated, beseeched, implored to come forward, and pleeeease take these glasses of water, pleeeeease … we know you’re all so thirsty …. you simply must drink! …. from one of these glasses! (even the dirty ones *__*) … you must … now drink! (growl)

… but those same folks know that those glasses of water are all slightly cloudy … they’re polluted … we can see a kinda debris afloat in one or two of them ….. and there is a nasty odo(u)r wafting from others …. (ewwww …)

…. and they know there is this unique, solitary glass of fresh, pure, cool, clear and sparkling water, in the distance …. and it’s in a clean glass too ….

… but, it remains just out of reach …..

keep focusing on that clear water Conservatives … and let your mind move outside *conventional* boundaries …. and watch events unfold in America as this year proceeds, some of them unprecedented ….

the time may come when you can seize that glass … that is in the distance … for now …

exodus2011 on January 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM

You are confusing the primary with the general.

No I’m not. Remember the debacle in Virgina with everybody except Romney and Paul not having enough signatures to get on the primary ballot? You need signatures to get on the primary ballot in most states.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Do exactly what? It will be too late by the time the primaries are over. All the delegates will have been apportioned.

Walter Sobchak on January 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

They’re just jealous, its clever, they didn’t come up with it.

Bmore on January 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM

gumble on January 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

But again, she had the smarts NOT to run.

After all, the GOP Establishment and alleged conservatives has spent well over three years painting her as an amiable dunce and dangerous to the country at large; effectively buying into Tina Fey’s SNL caricature. So much so that a candidacy was utterly impossible from the get-go.

While her resignation was the wrong move, a whole lot of people (Krauthammer especially) deserve a good spanking.

We forfeited the 2012 election by choice.

Myron Falwell on January 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Bmore on January 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I guess their milage varies..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Bmore on January 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I guess their mileage varies..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Rand Paul would have helped. He’s a much better speaker and is much more tactical in his politics. His father is laying the groundwork though. Btw, here’s an awesome picture from the 60′s of Ron and Rand on a bike! lol

fatlibertarianinokc on January 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Yeah, I would have been smart enough not to vote for Reagan too. Of course, I just graduated high school the 1st time I voted for him. So, I was real stupid then I guess. Just because I like Palin doesn’t mean I won’t support Romney. But right now I’m just in the ABO group.

smokinjoe on January 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

smokinjoe on January 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Jailbreak’s biggest fear is Palin…

Why do you think he spends all day trashing her here.

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

At this point, if September finds us with no one running who we feel should be president, conservatives should vote for the LP candidate as a protest and Tea Party backed candidates for the House and Senate, to make sure that a re-elected Obama will be held harmless. The object of the exercise is to convince the GOP establishment that they need conservatives more than conservatives need them.

PersonFromPorlock on January 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Walter Sobchak on January 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM

We are going to get her on a ballot for an independent run.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Jailbreak’s biggest fear is Palin…

Why do you think he spends all day trashing her here.

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I really don’t get people that throw around the conservative label and trash her like that. She has been a great voice for conservative values.

smokinjoe on January 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

ROFL…isn’t it hilarious? Now honestly, how out-of-touch can you be?

ddrintn

You would know better than most, cultist.

You’re going to tell me that if she got into the race tomorrow she’d still be only in the “low teens”?

If she were lucky.

LOL Bud, people are so desperate for someone not named Mitt Romney, she’d be at 40%+ within a week.

ddrintn

Sure she would, lol. I hear she can fly, and walks on water too.

Oh, I don’t think she is either. But just the thought of it gets the Mittbots’ nasty glands working overtime, doesn’t it? They know how weak SuperMitt is.

ddrintn

If Mittbots were smart, they’d be begging her to get into the race. He’d probably wrap things up earlier. So I guess we should thank her for that at least.

Palin/Hillary would be epic. Never would it happen, but it’d be epic.

Midwestprincesse

Yes it would….an epic failure.

xblade on January 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

We are going to get her on a ballot for an independent run.

promachus

In other words, you are STILL stuck on stupid, lol. Sheesh, why don’t you do something productive instead, like search for bigfoot, or something?

xblade on January 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

with the possible exception of Jeb Bush

Holy Cr@p! I haven’t read the comment stream, but c’mon! Talk about delusional! Another Bush? Ron Paul will be Emperor of the United States before that will happen.

RoadRunner on January 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I know a candidate that would change all this – but I think she’s decided to stay in Alaska this year.

williamg on January 9, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Spell after me: NO MORE BUSH! I think there used to be a Gillette ad with this slogan somewhere…

Archivarix on January 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Why not have Newt serve as a placeholder until FL wherein Palin enters as a surrogate for Newt and takes on Mitt.

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Not going to happen. Cutoff for FLA’s primary was OCT 31. So unless she can travel back in time…

independentvoice on January 9, 2012 at 11:49 PM

— 58% of Republicans want more candidates to choose from

Yeah, namely, Sarah Palin, Paul Ryan, or Marco Rubio.

But it ain’t gonna happen. We’ve been set up by The Media. AGAIN.

These are our choices: Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry, the guy with the fluffy silver hair whose name always escapes me, and Doktor Tinfoil.

That’s it.

Okay, I say mmmmm….newt. Yep. Newt Gingrich. He’s my choice this week. I just love the way he slaps the Democrat-hack media up the side of its limosine-liberal-elitist head. And he does it with such delightful sang-froid. Of course I would also be happy, vis-a-vis BHO, with any of the others as well, aside from the 9/11 “truther” with the scary cult following.

I’m just waiting to see which one busts out into the open. Whoever he is, he will have my backing.

But it bothers me that we — or, rather, the conservative alternative media — focus so much on the presidency. It is even more important that we regain the Senate and expand our lead in the House, if we hope to repeal Obamacare (etc.). To do that, we need a huge turnout. Of course, The Media wants us to fixate on the “divisive” POTUS race — they want to dismay and discourage us from showing up at the polls. We need to be sure to disappoint them Big Time in that regard.

Pay no heed to the MSM partisans and their RINO kiss-ass dupes!

2012 is about taking BACK everything that we can, and that extends well beyond the Oval Office.

minnesoter on January 10, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I’m surprised only 51% don’t like this batch of candidates. There is no conservative among them.

dogsoldier on January 10, 2012 at 6:45 AM

What is “cant”? Are you upset that I did not put in the proper punctuation mark? And you… a Palin nut….is worried about punctuation marks when your quittin princess drops her “g’s” and is dumber than a log?

tsk tsk

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

You…is worried. LOL Oh wow, you’re smart.

xblade on January 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Why don’t you? Put your money where your mouth is. Or as Jailbreak would have it, where your mouth are.

ddrintn on January 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM

But it ain’t gonna happen. We’ve been set up by The Media. AGAIN.

That’s it.

minnesoter on January 10, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Yeah, I can imagine pretty well what’s going to happen over the next few months. As it looks fairly sure that Romney’s got the nomination sewn up, we’ll start seeing news items like “Hmmmm…seems that Romney’s slipping in the polls a bit…” He’ll be 3 points behind, then 4 then 5…And then the Mittbots will be tlling us “don’t pay attention to the polls! It’s just a media trick to help Obama!!!” Annnnnnnd they won’t be at all aware of the irony. It’s going to be fun fun fun.

ddrintn on January 10, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Your university probably should have mixed in some remedial math courses.

But I doubt it would have done any good.

tetriskid on January 10, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Yeah, namely, Sarah Palin, Paul Ryan, or Marco Rubio.

But it ain’t gonna happen.

minnesoter on January 10, 2012 at 12:33 AM

And let’s be grateful. We don’t need three more faux conservative, status quo candidates.

Dante on January 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Palin needs to run, there is no other true conservative candidate who will get rid of the corruption in DC.

ChuckTX on January 10, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Yeah, if we could get some conservatives on the ballot that would be great, GOP.

Crusty on January 10, 2012 at 8:37 AM

We don’t need three more faux conservative, status quo candidates.

Dante on January 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Please name 3 conservative candidates, by your measure of conservative.

AnotherOpinion on January 10, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Palin is our only hope.

Pragmatic on January 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM

No, republicans are unhappy because they were expecting someone to come in wearing Ronald Reagan’s shoes already instead of looking for the person who could potentially fill them.

We’re victims of our own unrealistic expectations.

Pcoop on January 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Palin is our only hope.

Pragmatic on January 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM
If Palin is our ONLY hope-then all hope is gone.
*Bobby Jindal-pick up the damn red phone…PLEASE!*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 10, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Well, I’m with the 58%. I’m ready to turn the current Etch-a-Sketch slate of candidates over and shake it vigorously.

Fallon on January 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM

ChuckTX on January 10, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Ummmmm….no

John “Bhopal” Coale funded for her superpac,negotiated her Fox Contract and funded her bus tour. He’s married to Greta.

Coale supported John Edwards in the last cycle, has deep history with the Clintons and has publicly sworn a vendetta to bring down Rick Perry over Loser Pays Law in Texas.

Palin was never going to run and now you know why. John “Bhopal” Coale is the albatross around her neck.

Politics makes strange bedfellows & Palin is now a pundit.

She made her choice and folks need to accept it.

workingclass artist on January 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I will enthusiastically support whomever wins the nomination, because he will be running against Mr. Obama…

oddball on January 10, 2012 at 8:54 AM

It may be the “electability” factor that is more in play here than anything else. There is more at stake in this election than any other that I can remember, and we’re all more concerned and would like to feel we have a candidate that without a doubt would beat Obama. That candidate doesn’t exist and therefore many remain disgruntled with the field.

lynncgb on January 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM

We’re victims of our own unrealistic expectations.

Pcoop on January 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM

This is the problem with vanity candidacies & personality politics over-riding the records and policies of each candidate.

workingclass artist on January 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM

lynncgb on January 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM

What ill bet Obama is a demonstrable record that counters Obama’s dismal record.

Obama will blame Bush…Gov Perry can counter that with the Texas Record. Both Obama & Perry inherited an economy from Bush but Perry showed leadership and cut the budget to balance it, upgraded the Texas credit rating and Texas thrives creating 3 out 4 private sector jobs in the nation and leading the nation in Exports 9 years in a row. Texas beat both the US& China in manufacturing.

The Texas jobs numbers are propping up the US economy & without Perry in the race Obama will fold those numbers into his data and take credit for turning the economy around…And no other candidate will mount an effective defense of that except Perry.

workingclass artist on January 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Unless you are being facetious, I find this comment extremely insulting. I have both a college and graduate school degree (no, not in women’s studies or something like that-business and law) and I am not a Romney fan. Hell, my niece attends his high school alma mater and I’m not a fan. I have my reasons, none of which I’m going to bore the crowd with, but to suggest that someone who doesn’t support Romney is an uneducated rube is unnecessary and rude.

All this bickering among each other when our ire would be better directed at the left is counter-productive. Support who you want in the primaries, but when it comes to the general I hope we can all support the nominee. We’re going to need all the support we can get to beat the Chicago machine.

If you are being facetious, apologies in advance.

totherightofthem on January 10, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Should have read amongst each other. Sorry. Hit submit w/o proofing.

totherightofthem on January 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM

What is “cant” you brilliant college scholar?

portlandon on January 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Nothing is more petty, foolish, idiotic, than to point out a grammatical error in a post. We are typing ideas, attack the ideas, if you cant understand ask for help, we will explain it to you…it’s the ideas that are important on this blog, not grammer.

right2bright on January 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM

oddball on January 10, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Most Republican will, at least that is what they said with McCain…and that’s the problem.
Until then, we will fight to have a proper representative of the conservative view run for office. Mitt is anything but that, and that is why he can’t break through that 33%…
He’s a great guy, but charisma, unfortunately, wins elections, and he has never gained any traction in any national election, in fact he loses ground, even after spending record amounts.
He can’t beat Obama…he can’t argue ObamaCare, since he gave birth to it, he is considered an “insider”, he has never supported a conservative cause, appointed a conservative…he loses the conservative vote.
He lost against a man who lost against the man that he wants to beat.

right2bright on January 10, 2012 at 9:14 AM

We need to get Gov. palin to enter the race. If not NO ENTHUSIASUM and we lose to Obama. As it stands now, if Romneycare (“I enjoy firing people”) gets the nomination, I don’t vote.

Palin is the only candidate, people like me would crawl on glass to vote for…

Danielvito on January 10, 2012 at 9:14 AM

The anybody but Romney crowd are in serious danger of bringing the Republican party to complete ruin. I believe Romney is the best candidate. He is more conservative than most give him credit for. He can bring in the independants which we MUST have in order to win. He is competent to the Nth degree, and has vthe background in businessthat will allow him to turn around the economic mess we are in.

I dare say that 98 percent of Romney supporters WOULD HAVE voted for Perry, Gingrich, or Huntsman, should they have gotten the nomination. That has changed.

Now, the 25% to 30% of republicans that support Romney are like myself, embittered- and would NEVER vote for these men. Add those numbers to thePaul supporters (20% or so),who will never support any one else.

Starting to get the picture?

And even though some, like myself, might reluctantly vote for Santorum, if he somehow miraculously got the nod, Rick is so strident on social issues that he will turn off the moderates and independants. He can’t win. He has zero carisma or likability.

So your blind hatred of the one best situated to both win AND “fix” the economywill have been the ruination of the party and the nation. And you will all have to live with this fact, unless Romney is able to overcome all the crap you and your “brilliant” candidates throw at him. I pray that Mitt prevails, inspite of your predudice and ignorance.

jibjab75 on January 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM

workingclass artist on January 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I don’t know if you agree with my statement or not, but I stand by it. We were too busy looking for the next Ronald Reagan that there was no way we could be satisified with anyone that stepped up to the plate. Conservatives have put Reagan on such a high pedastol that the mythos and legend are bigger that the man ever was and no one could ever be expected to measure up to that. Heck, if Reagan was alive today, he could measure up to his legend becasue as soon as it was revealed that he was a Democrat, he’d be torn apart as a flip-flopper and tarnished as a donkey in elephant’s clothing. I really didn’t see anything wrong with the nomnees we had (with some exceptions.) I know that any one of them would be a better president than Obama.

But we wanted the white knight to ride in a save the day, therefore, we poo-poo’ed the ones who were willing to step up and slay the dragon themselves because they would not measure up to Reagan the legend.

Pcoop on January 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM

*couldn’t measure up.

Pcoop on January 10, 2012 at 9:17 AM

When do we get to the “acceptance” stage?

These are your choices. Pick one.

Dash on January 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Please name 3 conservative candidates, by your measure of conservative.

AnotherOpinion on January 10, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Unfortunately, there aren’t three, there are only two: Ron Paul and Gary Johnson.

Dante on January 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Al Sharpton 2012

Why, because we need a black guy in the White House who isn’t clean and articulate like Barack Obama.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Heh, good one.

wi farmgirl on January 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM

right2bright on January 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Normally I would agree with you but the commenter in question was suggesting that our working class non-college educated members’ opinions are unworthy. That he lefty the irony on was just to delicious to ignore.

Cindy Munford on January 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Mike Pence, Eric Cantor

Speakup on January 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

That’s true if your measure is rhetoric, not record.

flyfisher on January 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM

jibjab75 on January 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Isn’t it better that Romney is getting all the mud thrown at him now, so it becomes old news that he is completely ready to respond to when it comes up in the general?

lynncgb on January 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM

How predictable that Jeb Bush was mentioned.

Amjean on January 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Apparently your parents wasted their money on college for you.
Either go back to college or back to jail, one or the other.
Or perhaps you could go back to college while in jail.

Amjean on January 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Pcoop on January 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM

This “perfection” argument is wrong.

We were looking for a conservative – any conservative. The problem is that when we found one we liked, the MSM and the conservative media, working together, would go nuclear on that candidate before that candidate’s support base solidified. It’s one thing to vote for a “50% conservative” like Gingrich or Huntsman. But it’s another thing to be forced vote for someone whose governing record is completely indistinguishable from a hardcore, lifelong liberal.

The idea that “we demanded super-Reagan” is a myth created to smear the Tea Party base so they could be blamed and marginalized for a 2012 defeat.

The Romney supporters should NOT be surprised that the same tactics that worked so well against their conservative opponents are now being turned on them. The shock and outrage from them over it is rather comical to watch.

Doomberg on January 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM

What was that break-out I saw last night on BOR for political affiliation? D – 32, R – 27, I – 40.

Yes, Independents 40%.

Rewind to 2008 and it was something like 36/33/30, very close to being 1/3 each.

Today Independents have pulled 5% out of each of the 2 parties, pretty much equally.

What is fascinating about the trainwreck going on this year is that in four more years there will be problems having 2 parties as their affiliations in a few States where they have rigged very high registration numbers to BE on the ballot as a party will be threatened. Wherever you see I start to cross that 50% threshold and there is unequal party distribution, you will start to see 1 party States.

It isn’t surprising that 58% of R’s want more choices.

It is surprising that 42% are taking whatever is spoon-fed them by this horrific, archaic and biased towards the elite system.

This field was essentially set in NOV 2011 and there were very high levels of dissatisfaction then… not the majority, but that has GROWN since NOV 2011 – JAN 2012, where satisfaction was hovering much closer to the 50% mark. Another 2 months like that and the party may start to hollow-out, and while people will still want to vote Obama out, getting in will not be a mandate for anything WITHIN the party that nominated you. Thus the ‘winner’ will have a very first task of starting to address the major problems not just of the Nation (and they are massive) but of the actual party, itself. That means, yeah, those Tea Party people are still around and still dissatisfied with the R’s and if the elite don’t start to get out of the way or realize that they are on the line to extinction, one of the tottering parties will be the R party. The other will be the D party as those disgusted with Leftist/Liberal/Progressive ideas will walk from the party that only knows that and refuses to change when that ideology doesn’t work.

There is no satisfactory candidate in the wings, and a brokered convention will get you someone the SuperDelegates will be comfortable with (one of their own). So you don’t want a brokered convention because the system is catering to the elites who hold a swing block of votes if everything gets tied up… just like with the D’s last time around.

A movement by Republicans in the party at the lowest level to start petitioning their precincts and State machines to FIX THIS MESS OF A SYSTEM and neuter the RNC and other National organs will begin to address these problems and remove power from the top and start moving it down to the State bodies, thus making them important again. Do THAT and there is a REASON to start joining the party as you can make a difference once the elites can’t dictate from the top-down.

That is your choice as a Republican: keep taking the spoonfed elitist junk, or start the movement to reshape the party at the convention to something that must actually listen TO members and RESPOND TO THEM.

Stop bitching about what the process yields up.

Change the process.

ajacksonian on January 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I think this post might be mis-titled. It’s not that we want more candidate choices, I think it’s that we want other, as in different, choices. Why not play musical candidates? Lowest vote-getter drops out, and a new candidate rotates in.

stukinIL4now on January 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Probably to make a more important point, and I say this as someone who holds a Statistics degree. If you ask people an open ended questions like “would you like more…” you are going to invoke people’s view of not what is available but what they think they need. These are perilous times because of Barack Obama and now more than ever people want to have all their questions answered just looking at the candidates and not knowing anything about what the future is for their ideas. I see this as much a reaction to Obama’s failed Presidency as anything to do with ANY Republican.

Second, the media has NEVER had more at stake in taking down the Republican candidates than in 2012. Don’t think you are above listening to the negative PR from the press and thinking the candidates are all flawed in thre General election. REGARDLESS of who you put up whether it would be an Rubio or Christie or whomever the new dream candidate would be you would have been reading the downsides and out-of-context or straight out SLAMS for the last few months that would make you have doubts about the candidate. Get tough people this is the strategy the Dems/MSM have left!

Conan on January 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Does cherry picking polls works to advance your argument ? So why not take this one instead:

galtani on January 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM

How predictable that Jeb Bush was mentioned.

Amjean on January 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Nothing will turn me into an “independent” faster…

Fallon on January 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Hmmm, quite possibly the most idiotic post ever typed on this website.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

ToddPA on January 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Lyncgb…

The democrats are going to attack with everything they can. They will lie if they can not find any valid attack. But there is no excuse for these republicans to attack Mitt AND capitalism in their deserate attempt to revive their faltering candidacies.

The clown car of not romneys has made a mockery of the party. Cain…when asked on any policy stood like a deer in the headlights, and coined words like Ubecabecastanstanstan and the notroms embraced him. Newt is corrupt in amyriad of ways but you all cheer him on as he does Obamas dirty work for him and casts capitalists as evil. Huntsman collaberates with Obama and praiseshim and republicans embracehim???

Give me a brake!

jibjab75 on January 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Oh My. You’re probably mistaken about that one:

January 10, 2012

Majority of Conservatives See Romney as “Acceptable”

Only Romney now seen as acceptable by majority of Republicans

by Frank Newport

PRINCETON, NJ — Mitt Romney is the now the only candidate that a majority of conservative and moderate/liberal Republicans nationwide see as an “acceptable” GOP nominee for president. Conservative Republicans are more likely to say Romney would be an acceptable nominee than either Newt Gingrich or Rick Santorum.

mountainaires on January 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM

lynncgb on January 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Now, Now, let’s not get optimistic when presented with the scenario
of a chicken sh*t gutless milquetoast nominee being forceful in
responding to anything in the general….

ToddPA on January 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM

The process is fundamentally wrong, starting with the ‘beatings will continue’ series of debates, which except for the AEI debate, was steered by the MSM. There was one debate, in 1980, there were 8 in 1988, you kind of see the problem,

Now we face the prospect of a standard bearer, whose signature issue, is what we are trying to bury in the backyard, a poster child for the OWS pickets,

narciso on January 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM

And…just more whining from the Palin cult about the lack of a celebrity in the race to be excited about.

Yeah, you want more. Uh huh.

Moesart on January 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM

A candidate who really thinks ‘Obama is just over his head’ rather than doing things deliberately to this country,

narciso on January 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Ron Paul is in second place yet FNC continues to undercut him at every opportunity. This morning they’ve gone on and on with Romney and Huntsman supporters and although I might have missed it, I haven’t heard much on Ron Paul. They had a screen of all the candidates and they had Romney and Huntsman in 1 and 2 and Ron Paul was in last place!

FNC seems to be trying to create a Huntsman surge in NH.

I wasn’t quite as certain in Iowa but it seemed to me that FNC also tried to hype Santorum at the end and also downplayed Ron Paul.

I hope Ron Paul runs 3rd party if Republicans propaganda outlets are going to be so blatant about trying to sink him.

FloatingRock on January 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

As it is, tonight is a disgusting four hour plus infomerical for the SEC.

Myron Falwell on January 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Yep – we are a conference that can deliver a champion – LSU (regular season)- who cannot pass to save their life. Great infomercial.

I want to see this – a playoff amongst the winners of the 6 major power conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, Pac 12, SEC) plus the two highest rated winners of the lower conferences. Notre Dame gets to compete with them for those 2 spots as well as any other powerful independent remaining. This creates four games after final exams are over (major Bowls pick them up) two games around New Years and one a week later. Figure Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta Bowls are amongst the three last games every year.

Fixed. The regular season should mean something – sorry Alabama – you didn’t win your conference so you don’t make the playoffs.

Zomcon JEM on January 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Romney does not have a good track record of winning elections

liberal4life on January 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM

The process is fundamentally wrong, starting with the ‘beatings will continue’ series of debates, which except for the AEI debate, was steered by the MSM. There was one debate, in 1980, there were 8 in 1988, you kind of see the problem[.]

I agree. I don’t know how much there is to debate, or whether of these candidates have serious positions on what there is. Just calling it “a debate” will not convert you and your opponent into Abe Lincoln and Stephen Douglas. It may just expose you as the boring shyster everyone knew you were.

Instead you hear them generating platitudes and talking points and avoiding questions and not getting “boxed in.”

Boring.As.Hell. Do we have like six more to endure? Ugghhh. I would rather look at a crumbly piece of bread!

Herald of Woe on January 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Change the process.

ajacksonian on January 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

This.

I thought for awhile that the GOP was going to be able to avoid its “Whig Moment”.

I no longer believe that.

The two parties have different strategies to a single end: individual enrichment.

…their own.

…and the country be damned.

放縱瘋狂的結・放纵疯狂的结 (hope I got that right).

davisbr on January 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM

We conservatives spend a lot of time talking about what we do not want.

How about a discussion on what we do want.

judson on January 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM

de rigueur on January 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I didn’t make the post do that. No purple prose jokes, please.

de rigueur on January 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

FloatingRock on January 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

You might as well vote for Obama if that’s what you want to see. It would be Bush Sr with Perot all over again ending up with Clinton getting the nod due to a third party “GOP” style candidate.

What’s more important to you? Getting who YOU want no matter what, or getting the current abomination out of office?

Whoever the nominee ends up being, rest assured, I’ll be pulling the R in my voting booth.

SauerKraut537 on January 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Problem as I see it, is the people that I would enthusiastically vote for, probably won’t run until 2016, or even as late as 2020, as a lot of them need some more seasoning in Congress before they can be taken seriously as a viable candidate. I’d love to see Allen West, Tim Scott, Marco Rubio, or any of that ilk run in 2016. I’d even put up with Chris Cristie, although I really don’t like his stance on gun control, and a few other things. Wouldn’t mind Palin, but too many in the country absolutely can’t stand her, mostly, I think, due to the BS stories the LSM puts out. Plus, her leaving in the middle of her term isn’t going to bode well. Yes, yes, I understand perfectly WHY she did it, and have no problem with it, but the LSM will use that little factoid mercilessly.

For now, we’re stuck with this bunch.

sage0925 on January 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

SauerKraut537 on January 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Hear hear…I’ll take “getting out the current abomination” for $200, please, Alex.

sage0925 on January 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM