Oh my: 58% of Republicans want more candidates to choose from

posted at 8:05 pm on January 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

None of the above.

The survey finds that 58 percent of Republican primary voters want more presidential choices, while just 37 percent say they are satisfied with the current field. The percentage of Republican primary voters that wants more choices has increased 12 percentage points since October

It’s mathematically possible for another candidate to enter the race as late as early February and still win enough delegates to take the nomination, though some deadlines for candidates to get on state ballots have already passed, including those in delegate-rich Virginia and Illinois. A late entry into the GOP race would come with potentially-overwhelming obstacles, including the need to instantly build a national campaign apparatus and do the hard work of getting on state ballots in an extremely compressed time period…

There is no candidate in the GOP field who more than one third of Republican primary voters say they would enthusiastically support if he were the nominee. Rick Santorum does best in terms of enthusiasm, with 33 percent saying they would enthusiastically support him.

I know what you’re thinking, but c’mon. It may be “mathematically possible” to jump in now and win the most delegates but the Romney and Paul machines would battle to the bitter end. There’s no one on the Republican landscape with the possible exception of Jeb Bush who could declare today and sweep the field, and I doubt even Jeb could pull that off with Romney fighting him state by state. And no, a brokered convention wouldn’t solve the problem. Can you imagine the public watching Romney, Paul, and one of the other candidates wage a 50-state war for the next six months, with all the media coverage that would entail, only to have some entirely new person dropped on them as nominee two months before the election? Voters aren’t going to hand the launch codes to someone like Paul Ryan or Chris Christie who’s unknown to 80 percent of the electorate. And the baggage of Jeb’s last name would be even heavier if he were picked at a brokered convention: It would smell illegitimate, as if the GOP establishment had somehow engineered a primary coup to install yet another member of the Bush royal family to the throne. There’s just no way out of this situation, I think.

How depressed are Republicans about their predicament? Compare this year to 2008 in Pew’s new data:

I can’t believe it’s actually as high as 51 percent. There must be some sort of floor, probably around 40 percent or so, for any given field just based on pure partisanship within the sample. Figure 40 percent of either party will always, always say that a particular field is good or excellent. This crew has convinced another 11 percent of the remaining 60 that they’re worthy. Wonderful.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Palin 2012!

ConservativePartyNow on January 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

You think Jeb Bush would sweep the field? Cause I sure don’t.
I was under the impression that he is even more of an establishment RINO than Romney.

Jimmy In Jersey on January 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

There’s only one candidate who can enter late if she so chooses and win this thing, only one candidate who can enthuse GOP, only one candidate who unite the GOP even if she is airdropped at the convention in the last minute.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

That’s what I’m thinking. The question is, is Christine O’Donnell interested?

GCM on January 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

OT…no thread for BCS championship? Come on AP :)

lukespapa on January 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Second that emotion, bro!

Com’ on, man, a football thread won’t hurt cha! I know it isn’t soccer or women’s basketball, but we could have fun, AP, with a BCS thread in the middle of our nation’s undoing.

TXUS on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I Palined my car today.

Now it doesn’t run.

Oh well, it was always quitting on me anyway.

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Well buddy, you’d better flip and flop that thing back to the dealership and mandate that he fix it.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Sarah should have run. Damnit.

blatantblue on January 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

She’s unelectable. Or something. I think that’s what we’ve been told.

kim roy on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

CUDA!

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I knew somebody would bring her up.

Hey, have any HotAir posters met Sarahcuda?

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Oh by the way does anybody understand the irony of leaving Palin out but mentioning Jeb Bush as the late entry savior for GOP? Jeb Bush? Oh, his favorables must be touching the skies.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

So I’m not the only one unhappy with the choices we have. Surely Jeb Bush isn’t the only one out there that has a possibility of jumping in and winning. Surely there are others. Right?

scalleywag on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

katy on January 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

So who would you like to nominate? Sarah “I quit” Palin? Newt “I’m for sale to the higest bidder” Gingrich? Or Rick “I never met an earmaark I didn’t love” Santorum??

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

That’s what I’m thinking. The question is, is Christine O’Donnell interested?

GCM on January 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

COD would move to the front of this particular field eventually.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

TUNA!

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

That can has been open too long, it stinks, and it’s time to s***can it.

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

What hell does Pelosi have to do with this?

Bmore on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Delusional..:)

PS..How is someone who polled in the low teens at best going to win the nomination??..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Nah, most of us conservatives, the ones that have been to college, cant stand her.

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

So, since I didn’t go to college, somehow my opinion is less thoughtful/insightful/meaningfull than yours?

Got it. Tells me all I need to know about you.

massrighty on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

And I probably said this when Palin bowed out. But I wouldn’t of run either, if it were me. The hate from those who are supposed to be your natural allies just is not worth the effort. Dodging longknives is not my notion of a good time and I’m sure it is not Sarah Palin’s either when she could be spending time in her state and among her family.

Sharr on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

CUDA!

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Her husband is backing Newt, which seems to clearly say she’s not even thinking of running… :/

aryeung on January 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Regardless of what she does, they aren’t twins. He’s allowed to have his own opinion and vote the way he so chooses without permission. At least he endorsed republican.

kim roy on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

One other question: Since the only thing standing between Palin and a 50-state victory is her formal announcement, how come she hasn’t announced? Why is she hanging back? It’s clear as day to you, it seems, that she would utterly destroy all comers, including Obama, on her way to the White House. Most people in that unique position would decide to take advantage and run. How come she hasn’t?

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

No one claimed that Palin would bring about a 50 state victory. However, Palin would get folks like me enthused to go door to door for her campaign.

IA was never about Palin winning. Palin did fine given the limited exposure of the movement. IA was about a message.

Campaigns come down to messaging and boots on the ground. If you don’t have that, you don’t have anything. And all of the candidates have merely given boilerplate answers while Palin, who is on the sidelines, gives definitive answers.

She is the only candidate that could get someone like me to stand out in the rain/snow in WI while also getting many people to get on buses to drive to IA for her Indianola speech.

Todd’s endorsement was merely a head-fake. Unless I am proven wrong. Many people are saying that if Newt’s going to go down, why not have Newt serve as a placeholder until FL wherein Palin enters as a surrogate for Newt and takes on Mitt.

Think of the optics. It’s like Tebow going against Brady next weekend. Our own Mrs. Washington.

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I Palined my car today.

Now it doesn’t run.

Oh well, it was always quitting on me anyway.

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Too late. Mitt tore it apart and sold it as components because the value of the components sold separately was more that the amount he could have gotten for the whole car as is.

Mitt’s a great capitalist you know.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Heh…he’s going to change his name to Jeb Reagan just prior.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

What the hell does Pelosi have to do with this?

Bmore on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Bmore on January 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Romney is weak,
Like pine tree bending with wind.
No one trusts the fool.

With voices rich, it is Gingrich;
Rich with fat from K-Street bitches.
Pudgy face, yo.

Then strong Santorum,
Sancti borum est Norm-um.
We’re past redemption.

Michelle Bachman is
Drunk up in a maple tree;
Merry Christmas, yo.

Rick Perry, did he
Really shoot that coyote
To save a baby?

Sar-ah, where are-yah,
Your hair gets bigger, yo ma
Long time, no see.

Herald of Woe on January 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

JINDAL is the only viable late entry who covers all the bases. Rubio would win in a walk but won’t do it and PENCE can’t jump ship on Indy this soon. JINDAL/RUBIO 2012!

AmeriCuda on January 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM

For all those on the Romney wagon, you had better understand what Mormons think and believe than you’ll understand why Romney is not a true conservative.

Shain1611 on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Hey, have any HotAir posters met Sarahcuda?

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Yes. Great person. But the media says she just isn’t that into them so she’s unelectable.

Ever play chess? Obama is the rook(ie). Can only move in one direction… left. Then there is the King… again Obama. Stands in one place, immovable and indefensible.

Then, there is the Queen.

Sarah will have a lot of influence in 2012′s election and no, I don’t expect her to run.

Key West Reader on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

How come she hasn’t?

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

She could be waiting for expectations to change , now it’s 58% that wants someone else in the race and it will grow.

the_nile on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Epic Fail.

Valiant on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Jeb BUSH?????????????!!!!Eleventy!
You have got to be kidding.

Rose in CA on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I Palined my car today.

Now it doesn’t run.

Oh well, it was always quitting on me anyway.

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Nah, I just salvaged the usable parts, sold’em, and invested the proceeds in a viable campaign.

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Or Rick “I can’t remember anything” Perry?

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Delusional..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

In the low teens? At one point before during the will she/won’t she drama Romney and Palin were pretty much in a dead heat. And , um, what were Santorum’s numbers just 3 weeks ago? What were Gingrich’s in August? Only Palin’s are thought to be etched in stone. THAT’S delusional.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

No Jeb Bush for me!
We’ll chew up anyone that would come in, after the press gets down with them. We have to swallow what we got!
(Boy, I like it when Bishop gets on a roll! Funny!)

KOOLAID2 on January 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

No one believed me, but I said months and months and months ago, the following two options:

1) Palin/Hillary
2) Palin/Hunstman

Incoming. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

kim roy on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

That’s nice that Sarah let’s Todd have his opinion like that.

Can you imagine Hillary putting up with Bill doing that?

Meeeeooooowwwrorrr!!!! Hissssss!

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Shain1611 on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Romney isn’t planning another ‘Mountain Meadows’ is he? Oh man, that would be bad bad news.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

With a top like that, I guess I can forgive for the bottom.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Someone asked if any HA posters had actually met Sarah Palin? I did, I did. What do I win? Actually got to shake her hand, well actually she held my hand in hers and talked about my son, who was deployed to Iraq at the time and her son had just left or was leaving shortly. She is the real deal, very personal, gracious and OMG so tiny.

noneoftheabove on January 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I do love the open door for Jeb Bush… yeah, that’ll work, give Obama someone actually named “Bush” to run against.

Sharr on January 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Obama’s I guess.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I was referring to the average..Palin has never polled well..Hence the reason she is not running..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Hahahahahahahahaa!!! The wages of fratricide, where everyone is so much smarter than those who have a different opinion, it’s a great idea constantly impugn their motives, insult their intelligence, and generally be an a55hole. This is the bestest method of persuasion ever invented!

Lol!

MTLassen on January 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Sharr on January 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

ROFL…isn’t it hilarious? Now honestly, how out-of-touch can you be?

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM

No BCS National Championship Open Thread? What gives?

Lawdawg86 on January 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I know the R establishment wants Romney. It is as clear as could be. But what happens if they see the anti-Romney voters become more prevalent especially after SC? Will they continue to push him even if it means losing the presidency and likely some key senate and house seats? Isn’t it at all possible they do have someone “waiting in the wings” in case this blows up in their faces; a secret weapon so to speak that will give the obama machine little time to do their opp research on?

I am not enamored anything the R’s have done or not but I can not see them throwing the election simply to satisfy the next in line.

Ok. I removed my tin foil hat. This was a stream of conscious (or un-conscious) post. Thank you.

FLconservative on January 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Obama’s I guess.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Nah… I could never root for a fella that beat a woman like he beat that Sarah Palin.

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Key West Reader on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

She won’t run. But if she did, it would drive the news like crazy and the left..crazy.

It would be more fun regardless if she won or not.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

The good news for the current GOP candidates is that the 58 percent are certainly far from all in agreement on which other candidates they’d like to see jumping in. For every one that wants Jeb Bush to run, there’s one or two who think a third Bush would be the worst idea in the world. For every one that wants Chris Christie to run, there’s one or two that dismiss him as another Northeastern liberal Republican on everything but spending. For every one that thinks Sarah Palin would take it all (and I’m one of those), there are one or two that dismiss her as Rick Perry with less experience in office.

stuiec on January 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM

What were Santorum and Newt’s averages let’s say in September last year? And why did they run? And did the numbers change? :)

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

This is shaping up to be a real internecine slaughter here at HotGas, you can almost smell the blood and gore about to puddle.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Full of sound and gas, signifying nothing.

VorDaj on January 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Or we could just draw cartoons.

WryTrvllr on January 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Sharr on January 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

ROFL…isn’t it hilarious? Now honestly, how out-of-touch can you be?

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I’m pretty sure Obama would shout “SCORE!” if he were handed that on a silver platter. I mean “smart people” are thinking this is a good way to go about winning? I doubt their collective intelligence.

Sharr on January 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Oh, I don’t think that’s why she isn’t running. Gingrich polled well? Come on. You’re delusional. You’re going to tell me that if she got into the race tomorrow she’d still be only in the “low teens”? LOL Bud, people are so desperate for someone not named Mitt Romney, she’d be at 40%+ within a week.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

She is the real deal, very personal, gracious and OMG so tiny.

noneoftheabove on January 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

The same with Bachmann. I went to the debate out of Tampa and she was teenintesy. I was shocked at her size… probably size 2 at best.

Also Calista Gingrich is very white, and plasticized.

/Just sayin’ pass me a saucer of milk please.

Key West Reader on January 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I guess their internal polling was good..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

And who would you nominate??

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Lol!

MTLassen on January 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Hey, don’t knock it. It’s how the Romney boosters plan on getting the rest of us to vote for Romney if we keep saying we still don’t like him. :p

Aitch748 on January 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Nahhhhh, that was your moderate god McCain.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

noneoftheabove on January 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I heard that the Secret Service guys really loved Sarah back in 2008. I also heard a quote from a security guy complaining about her running late and shaking everybody’s hands and signing stuff. He said “She’s just so nice.”

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

This is your brain on drugs…LOL

So Palin was the 2008 Republican nominee…

And with a screen name like M240H, It’s only a matter of time before you shoot your eye out..:)

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM

You will guess anything to prove your dumb points. :)

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM

With a top like that, I guess I can forgive for the bottom.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Both bring credibility to the foreign policy cred.

Both would be ratings gold – how would the Left attack Huntsman?

Both would take away the fact that the VP could take over the helm should something catastrophic happen to A.

Palin/Hillary would be epic. Never would it happen, but it’d be epic.

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM

It would be more fun regardless if she won or not.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Oh, I don’t think she is either. But just the thought of it gets the Mittbots’ nasty glands working overtime, doesn’t it? They know how weak SuperMitt is.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM

You will guess anything to prove your dumb points. :)

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM

If HA had a delete feature, and if I were you, I’d use it.

But, alas.

Key West Reader on January 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

And who would you nominate??

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Our Last Great Hope, of course. How’d that work out?

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

After close analysis of the primary schedule and which states are winner-take-all vs. proportional, I figured out that a late candidate could jump in as late as around mid-to-late February.

However, they would need quickness on the ground and have some of the top leve org chart in place ready to kick into action.

Palin, Jindal, Rubio, or another could generate enough excitement to immediately put boots on the ground, but I’m not sure Daniels could pull it off as he lacks charisma and passion.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

kim roy on January 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Todd Palin has been extremely supportive of his wife and het career. You can’t convince me that he went out endorsing Newt Gingrich, knowing full well his wife was planning on running.

aryeung on January 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM

It certainly seems to have gotten Allahpundit agitated tonight.

Aitch748 on January 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I guess telling folks to write in Palin makes you smart..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Nahhhhh, that was your moderate god McCain.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Actually met that squirrel- in of all places Pristina, Kosovo. That boy ain’t right. Sarah musta thought he was, though, since she paired up with him. Any coat-tails in a spotlight will do, I suppose. I mean when opportunity knocks, what’s an opportunist gonna do?

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Oh, I agree she’d win the GOP Primary if she got in by January, but I think she’d get no help from Rove and Co. up against President Obama.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Sorry I don’t see it..And neither did Sarah..:):)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Hey, have any HotAir posters met Sarahcuda?

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Yes, way back when she was Governor. Had an oil deal that she was initially quite opposed to, and had all her facts about it pretty well straight, except her staff inadvertently left out a couple of things that were quite pertinent. But her countenance and tone were all professional, a real exception to most others you deal with in politics. She gave us an audience and listened, and about two weeks later, the deal was approved.

When we left that meeting, however, we were so impressed by her intelligence and ability to grasp some very complex and intricate concepts surrounding the project, we were shaking our heads. Just a delightful, and completely different, kind of politician all around.

TXUS on January 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

aryeung on January 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I don’t think he actually endorsed anybody.

I guess telling folks to write in Palin makes you smart..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

When did I say that? :) Or are you just coming up with your usual straw men? :)

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

And who would you nominate??

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM

With a little inspiration from Bishop, the choice is obvious:

Cynthia McKinney/Jeremiah Wright in 2012!!!! Just kidding….

Sir Rants-A-Lot on January 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Sorry I don’t see it..

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I’ll bet you didn’t see Bachmann dropping out right after Iowa either. :) There’s a lot you don’t see. :)

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I don’t understand how ddrintn’s views are so annoying to so many. There his, like yours’, what’s the problem?

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM

It certainly seems to have gotten Allahpundit agitated tonight.

Aitch748 on January 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Yah, Allah is moderate and an east coaster so it is understandable he is uncomfortable with a Palin candidacy.

Tina is a woman with a degree so that explains it right there even though Palin has one too.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Which “Last Great Hope”? We’ve had 5.

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I mean when opportunity knocks, what’s an opportunist gonna do?

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

So which opportunist are you going to pimp then? This one has Mittbot written all over it.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

TXUS on January 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

It seems the feedback about Palin from those that have worked for her and dealt with her is positive.

To bad she ain’t governor of Iowa.

KirknBurker on January 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I guess telling folks to write in Palin makes you smart..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Can you tell me what you’ve done this political season to Get Out The Vote for 2012? You sure do seem to do a lot of attacking of people when all you do is add smileys to a post. So unless you’re tired from putting in too much time at the GOP HQ, I’d zip it on the whole “polls” bit. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Which “Last Great Hope”? We’ve had 5.

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Perry, of course. That was your term for him. How soooooon we forget. Keen political sense there, bud. Keen.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Give me Palin or give me….give me….oh, just give me ABO! I’m thinking Santorum of those still in the race; another $10 trillion or so added to the national debt since Bob Casey Jr. defeated him in his Senate re-election bid has brought him back to his senses regarding right-to-work and earmarks. We can only hope.

Sir Rants-A-Lot on January 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

What is “cant” you brilliant college scholar?

portlandon on January 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Sir Rants-A-Lot on January 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM

THAT bears repeating. Soon to be 16 TRILLION and counting (can O’bozo count?). Even USA Today gets it.

WryTrvllr on January 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Which “Last Great Hope”? We’ve had 5.

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Newt and Romney were the only competition evah.

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

If all the people on here wishcasting about Palin running would have actually, you know, GOT OUT AND COLLECTED SIGNATURES TO GET HER ON THE BALLOT in a state or two, maybe she would have run. Lord almighty, Donald effing Trump managed to get on the ballot in TX, and Palin has ten times his political following if not more.

Walter Sobchak on January 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Walter Sobchak on January 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Huh?

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Well a bear is a burden.

WryTrvllr on January 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Seriously, you didn’t get the “sell the salvagable parts and invest the proceeds in a viable campaign” joke?

Sheesh.

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

What is “cant” you brilliant college scholar?

portlandon on January 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

“Cant” describes the usual Mittbot commentary.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Sheesh.

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Ohhhh… BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA….yeah good one there…yeah

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Blood

Schadenfreude on January 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

What is “cant” you brilliant college scholar?

portlandon on January 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

What is “cant”? Are you upset that I did not put in the proper punctuation mark? And you… a Palin nut….is worried about punctuation marks when your quittin princess drops her “g’s” and is dumber than a log?

tsk tsk

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Ah yes. I am losing hope for Mr. Perry. He needs to make the magic in SC.

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Idjicy of the GOP establishment to the highest level.

Or should I say, GREEDINESS?

Whaevah.

SARAH PALIN, WHERE ARE YOU? GET OUT OF THAT SLIMY FOXNEWS!

How many times did they murder you and you’re still coming back?

Be like Mittens and Gingrich. Look for Million PACS! They’ll make you millionaires too, you know. You don’t have to work hard like what you’ve been doin’ in the last 6 years.

Just ignore them when you are already in that damned White House! JUST REDUCE THE SIZE OF THE FED INTO A MOLE, WILL YAH!

TheAlamos on January 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Sorry that was meant for promachus..:)

PS..Trying to watch the BCS Championship..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

You think Jeb Bush would sweep the field? Cause I sure don’t.

Jimmy In Jersey on January 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Jeb Bush is more conservative than his brother, and he’s certainly more conservative than Mitt “RINO” Romney.

That said, I do not think he could sweep the field, and I doubt he would be the front runner if he had declared five years ago, like Mitt. The Bush name has worn out its welcome for the time being.

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Those of us who got something from college besides a degree aren’t so insecure as to rub it in other people’s faces to make ourselves feel superior. That’s something that’s more typical of a liberal than a conservative.

Just sayin’.

DRayRaven on January 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM

It is obivious a “write in” campaign is not going to work..But I have never been involved in a campaign where the person I was supposed to write in has said she is not running..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

tsk tsk

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

What state were you Governor?

Midwestprincesse on January 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

If there is one thing that could have made this terrible Republican primary even more terrible, it would have been Palin entering the race. Thank god she didn’t.

gumble on January 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Second that emotion, bro!

TXUS on January 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

It’s a glorified exhibition game with no real consequences.

Whenever the corrupt NCAA pulls their heads out of their collective butts and scrap the BCS for a legitimate playoff system, THEN there will be an actual college football national championship.

As it is, tonight is a disgusting four hour plus infomerical for the SEC.

Don’t even bother, AP.