Oh my: 58% of Republicans want more candidates to choose from

posted at 8:05 pm on January 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

None of the above.

The survey finds that 58 percent of Republican primary voters want more presidential choices, while just 37 percent say they are satisfied with the current field. The percentage of Republican primary voters that wants more choices has increased 12 percentage points since October

It’s mathematically possible for another candidate to enter the race as late as early February and still win enough delegates to take the nomination, though some deadlines for candidates to get on state ballots have already passed, including those in delegate-rich Virginia and Illinois. A late entry into the GOP race would come with potentially-overwhelming obstacles, including the need to instantly build a national campaign apparatus and do the hard work of getting on state ballots in an extremely compressed time period…

There is no candidate in the GOP field who more than one third of Republican primary voters say they would enthusiastically support if he were the nominee. Rick Santorum does best in terms of enthusiasm, with 33 percent saying they would enthusiastically support him.

I know what you’re thinking, but c’mon. It may be “mathematically possible” to jump in now and win the most delegates but the Romney and Paul machines would battle to the bitter end. There’s no one on the Republican landscape with the possible exception of Jeb Bush who could declare today and sweep the field, and I doubt even Jeb could pull that off with Romney fighting him state by state. And no, a brokered convention wouldn’t solve the problem. Can you imagine the public watching Romney, Paul, and one of the other candidates wage a 50-state war for the next six months, with all the media coverage that would entail, only to have some entirely new person dropped on them as nominee two months before the election? Voters aren’t going to hand the launch codes to someone like Paul Ryan or Chris Christie who’s unknown to 80 percent of the electorate. And the baggage of Jeb’s last name would be even heavier if he were picked at a brokered convention: It would smell illegitimate, as if the GOP establishment had somehow engineered a primary coup to install yet another member of the Bush royal family to the throne. There’s just no way out of this situation, I think.

How depressed are Republicans about their predicament? Compare this year to 2008 in Pew’s new data:

I can’t believe it’s actually as high as 51 percent. There must be some sort of floor, probably around 40 percent or so, for any given field just based on pure partisanship within the sample. Figure 40 percent of either party will always, always say that a particular field is good or excellent. This crew has convinced another 11 percent of the remaining 60 that they’re worthy. Wonderful.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Republicans are not excited about Romney?

Who woulda thunk it?

liberal4life on January 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Hardest hit
Jailbreak
bambi
Punchenko
Swamp-yankee

katy on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I will vote 3rd party just to punish Romney dorks

davemason2k on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

There’s just no way out of this situation, I think.

Look to the coal-mining hills of Kentucky…

JohnGalt23 on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

What nonsense.

Romney will be like Abe Lincoln and Ronald Reagan. Once he gets in, he will fix crap and all these dummies will be embarrassed that they fought so hard to keep him out of office.

I mean…Rick Perry, dude??

That dude is dumb. A president must be smarter than your average high school senior in my opinion.

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

CUDA!

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

You surpass my expectations. Continually.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

How much did that increase, after today…

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

And how long does Hot Air put up with pure trolls, now?

MNHawk on January 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

RNC, take note. Oh, wait… I forgot. They don’t care what the base thinks.

Laura Curtis on January 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Oh my: 58% of Republicans want more candidates to choose from

You know who this helps….

Dr Evil on January 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

There’s only one candidate who can enter late if she so chooses and win this thing, only one candidate who can enthuse GOP, only one candidate who unite the GOP even if she is airdropped at the convention in the last minute.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Anyone on our side is at least 22% better than Barack.

SouthernGent on January 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

And AP, you won’t get hives if you mention that name. Promise.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Chris Christie didn’t enter because people started settling for Rick Perry as the big conservative hero just because he killed a coyote and said nasty things about Ben Bernanke.

Tim Pawlenty got out because people were really liking Bachman’s rants about Obamacare and the Constitution and Rick Perry. They were getting all the donations.

If conservatives had been more skeptical about this field a few months ago, we’d have a different field now.

joana on January 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Al Franken 2012

Why, because we need a good man to tell rape jokes in the White House.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Finally, the bunny’s had it coming for about a month now.

Seriously though, how is it that all of the 13th-tier scrubs of the GOP ended up running this year? Did all the top-tier guys and gals decide that they would have an easier go at it in 2016/2020? I just don’t get it, politicians are supposed to be ambitious…

Lawdawg86 on January 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

The one with the most negative press (other than ron paul) gets my vote.

After that, it’s whoever gets the nod.

Obama must go.

WryTrvllr on January 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Now who’s dreaming? Some of us aren’t fans.

BettyRuth on January 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

You surpass my expectations. Continually.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Ah, right. I forgot: Sarah. Sarah’s going to jump in and sweep the field, notwithstanding her Perry-esque favorable ratings. Todd’s endorsement of Newt today was a total head fake.

Refresh my memory. Didn’t you tell me in the comments around two weeks ago that Palin was going to do surprisingly well in the caucuses as a write-in? That that was going to be definitive proof of how much grassroots demand there is for her, which in turn would finally entice her into running? Did I imagine that?

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I just can’t commit to Mitt. There’s something about him that is lacking. The Republican Establishment is pushing him as “Next In Line.” That kind of politics has got to stop.

Elric on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Nah, most of us conservatives, the ones that have been to college, cant stand her.

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Allah is in the house! Thanks, I needed that at this point.

kunegetikos on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Barney Frank 2012

Why, because he need a good man to operate a gay brothel out of the West Wing.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

No, you didnt imagine that. He was flooding HotAir with his appeals to write-in Palin.

Dear Lord….help these people, PLEASE!!!!!

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I think you really underestimate how well Ryan is known. If he jumped in the race you’d see conservatives coalesce around him. I know people who aren’t really active in politics who’ve told me that they would work for Ryan.

cpaulus on January 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Oh my: 58% of Republicans want more candidates to choose from

And I want more flavors of ice cream to choose from. And more women to choose from. Isn’t 58% about the same as the divorce rate?

VorDaj on January 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

wow. so much to say…..

GhoulAid on January 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

CUDA!

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Could have been part of her initial strategy when she went on her bus tour and then dropped out.

katy on January 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I just had the funniest visual of Palin parachuting into the convention and people running for their lives. Thanks for that.

McDuck on January 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Yeah, they’re lame.

Gingrich: if he says “fundamental” one more time, my head may explode. It is historical, ah. His voice sounds rich, and fat. Drink more water, go running.

Romney, meh.
What is he, some kind of Mormon Obama? More-Bama? We all know he’s just “playing” Republican. To get elected. And so, no better than our current President. His chiseled jaw looks more resolute than he is. Hit the trail, Mittens.

Perry, from Texas.
I like that he used to fly fighter jets. But that’s all I know. Meh. Also, did he ok some gigantic project over some aquifier? Not that that’s bad, but eh……

Santorum.
Now, this guy’s got principles. However, principles are expensive and he can’t win. We are all going to Hell, Rick; it is too late for your principles. By the way, Dan Savage is a freakish devil. Word up.

Herald of Woe on January 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

This PROVES Sarah Palin is going to run.

Ah…a little deja vu…

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Zombie Robert Byrd 2012

Why, because we need a good man in the White House to make sheets and pointy hats fashionable again.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

*facepalm*..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

One other question: Since the only thing standing between Palin and a 50-state victory is her formal announcement, how come she hasn’t announced? Why is she hanging back? It’s clear as day to you, it seems, that she would utterly destroy all comers, including Obama, on her way to the White House. Most people in that unique position would decide to take advantage and run. How come she hasn’t?

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Someone’s in a grumpy mood….LOL

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

And AP, you won’t get hives if you mention that name. Promise.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Frankly, I’m surprised there’s not a big picture of she-who-shall-not-be-named on this post. Guaranteed traffic.

But I guess she’s not considered as serious as the thought of people actually voting for another Bush. Good f’ing lord.

Dongemaharu on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Hope for a brokered convention, 58 percenters.

The Nerve on January 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Did I imagine that?

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Imagine there’s no Republican nominee
And Obama would get in clear and free

VorDaj on January 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I second idesign…

CUDA!

turfmann on January 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

But all we’ve heard is how electable Oromney is. How can this be? Oh, my. Guess we were all looking for Mr Goodbar instead of Mr Just Good Enough.

they lie on January 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Look, we just need to accept that the field is what it is, it sucks, and that we must rally behind LSU, the Denver Broncos, and sweet, sweet bourbon.

Lawdawg86 on January 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I will vote 3rd party just to punish Romney dorks

davemason2k on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Brilliant. Simply f***ing brilliant. Now go take care of that spill in front of the soda cooler and then grab the keys to both bathrooms and actually clean them the right way before the end of your shift.

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Al Sharpton 2012

Why, because we need a black guy in the White House who isn’t clean and articulate like Barack Obama.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

How come she hasn’t?

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Humility?

VorDaj on January 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

katy on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

aren’t you the woman with foul language who was screaming about how she loved that buffoon Perry? yeah, I think that was you.

well, people have soundly rejected Perry. no wonder they want more choices.

bluegill on January 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

It’s so much more fun to throw them into a boiling pot of water. Bunnies that is, not our candidates.

TXUS on January 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Someone’s in a grumpy mood….LOL

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

No..Allah is just pointinng out a kook..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

what was the number for McCain at this time?

golfmann on January 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I’d like to take this opportunity to nominate Allen West.

Allen West:
Courage
Moral clarity
Leadership

Of all the people in the GOP spotlight, Allen West is the closest I’ve seen to Ronald Reagan. He really gets it.

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Lawdawg86 on January 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Yep. Has everyone forgotten the Serenity Prayer?

a capella on January 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Elric on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Fine, then get ready to vote for Obama, cus Romney is going to be the nominee. I hate liberals like you masquerading as conservatives, and talking crap out here. All of you so-called true-conservatives have been exposed as stupid hypocrites, who are even more liberal than Obama. That explains why you socialist parasites hate Romney…he is a capitalist.

It pains me that I am working longer nowadays, or else I would be here all day trashing you socialist morons.

Chudi on January 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Republican voters are such loathsome extremists… we shouldn’t worry so much about what they want.

RightKlik on January 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Humility?

VorDaj on January 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I think she is still watching the primary and makin sure that somebody that she likes wins the nomination. Then, if she approves of that person, she will be OK. But, if she doesnt approvew of that person, she will be forced to jump in and save the free world….because she knows she can beat Obama. She knows it!!!! She just doesnt wanna. (please send money *wink*)

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

This is shaping up to be a real internecine slaughter here at HotGas, you can almost smell the blood and gore about to puddle.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Look, we just need to accept that the field is what it is, it sucks, and that we must rally behind LSU The Tide, The Denver Broncos Baby Jesus, and sweet extremely sweet potent bourbon moonshine.

Lawdawg86 on January 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Roll Tide Roll!

Dr Evil on January 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Someone’s in a grumpy mood….LOL

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

No..Allah is just pointing out a kook..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on January 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM

well, people have soundly rejected Perry. no wonder they want more choices.

bluegill on January 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

He is still at 5% in the national polls. If he could double that, and then double that, and then double that … He’s just waiting to lull all into a false sense of security and then he will pounce by saying he has 10 points and remembering all 10 or at least 8 or 9 of them..

VorDaj on January 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM

McDuck on January 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Admit it, that would be AWESOME!

thebrokenrattle on January 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM

not the bunny :(

cmsinaz on January 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Romney slanders Perry. Pundits: “how smart’l

Romney slanders Newt. Pundits: “how smart!”

Newt and Perry fight back. Pundits: “they will DESTROY the Republican party!!”

I love this. Romney is finally sinking. Ever so slowly. But sinking

The RINOS are quaking. They know Bain is the Achilles heel.

And I LOVE it. It takes away electability. And Mittens ain’t helping himself.

The tears of National Review are delicious.

DELICIOUS!!!!! Hahahahahaha

pamplonajack on January 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I second idesign…

CUDA!

turfmann on January 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

She’s not running. She said so months ago. Her mind hasn’t changed. Todd’s endorsement of Gingrich today should make it clear to even the most diehard Palinista that she isn’t even considering it. Come on, people.

McDuck on January 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM

What nonsense.

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!!!!

And to think that, TO THIS DAY, there are posters here that complain about the Palin cult of personality.

Aitch748 on January 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Who give a flying flip what Republican feel anyway, aren’t we shooting for the middle/independents?

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Really? Sarah is polling under Buddy Roemer? I missed that poll because I am sure you’ve have posted that already if one existed. Conflating the husband with the wife is a logical error. Todd Palin endorsed in Nevada primaries before while she did not. Todd endorsed Joe Miller while she waited very long before jumping in. Meaning, they both have endorsed independently of each other.

No, what we told you was that we are trying to organize a write in effort completely organic without even smallest encouragement from the candidate herself and if it kicked off we could persuade the candidate to enter the race. Given our small resources we are totally proud of our efforts, in fact we came close to beat Bachmann and Huntsman in some counties. Now, go snark on that.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Sorry Sparky, Romney and Conservative doesn’t compute…..

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

TUNA!

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

That can has been open too long, it stinks, and it’s time to s***can it.

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Tell you what. Everyone head out to my place, I have plenty of room and you can ride the ATV’s since there is no snow. We can listen to some SRV Little Wing, maybe Jimi’s Castles Made of Sand, drink some scotch, and just hash this all out like civilized people.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Chudi on January 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

We’ve missed you.

a capella on January 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

But but but but, we’ll all come vote for ROmney -Romneybots

It’s funny watching the mittbots sweat on Bill oreilly. LOL.

Flapjackmaka on January 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Hey, having more choices is rarely a bad thing. Given that most the candidates today disqualified themselves by taking up OWS rhetoric, I’d be totally willing to boot out all the existing candidates in favor of a fresh set of choices.

One miner caveat, Ron Paul and Mitt Romney can stay. So far neither of them have committed the unpardonable sin of attacking capitalism.

WolvenOne on January 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Full of sound and gas, signifying nothing.

VorDaj on January 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

You almost beat Huntsman in some counties???? I read that he only got 1 or 2 votes in a few counties.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Dongemaharu on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Indeed.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Because Todd sabotaged her plans for primary domination by endorsing Newt Gingrich.

Dr Evil on January 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Give Ryan the launch codes and whatever else it takes.

gumble on January 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Why, because he need a good man to operate a gay brothel out of the West Wing.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

/Coughwegotonealready

LOL

Key West Reader on January 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I’d like to take this opportunity to nominate Allen West.

Allen West:
Courage
Moral clarity
Leadership

NickDeringer on January 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Yah, except those pesky yah votes on Pigford, Stimulus and the Bill of Rights crushing-NDAA. Other then that, yah he’s turned out to be a real DC outsider

katy on January 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

If Jeb Bush were to gain the nomination via a brokered convention, I’d vote third party (even if it was Ron Paul).

bw222 on January 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

When I see a candidate use “individual freedom and personal responsibility” and this country’s return to this tenet as a major part of their campaign platform, then I’ll get excited. Till then I’ll stick with my platform of not-Romney-not-Huntsman.

I may end up not voting at all if the candidates all look too much like Obama. I’d much rather have 4 more years of freedom stealing hell than a 1 term republican RINO to be followed by another 8 years of progressive liberal hell.

This is going to be a very hard year.

Wolfmoon on January 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

VorDaj on January 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Ha.

At least with Romney, we wouldn’t have to worry about Perry going comatose in the middle of a debate with Obama in front of millions of people.

Dongemaharu on January 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

O-effing-T:

Roll, Tide!!!

TXUS on January 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

OK, let’s ummmm give the launch codes to Lady Goo Goo or Beyonceherface.

Makes sense. 99%!

Key West Reader on January 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

… , in fact we came close to beat Bachmann and Huntsman in some counties. Now, go snark on that.

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Sooo, you failed. Is that what you’re trying to say?

snark snark snarkety snark snark

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Ugh, 4 more years of The Whine.

rbj on January 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Sarah should have run. Damnit.

blatantblue on January 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

First, I don’t think Todd Palin actually endorsed anyone, strictly speaking. Second, Newt Friggin’ Gingrich and Rick Friggin’ Santorum can surge in the polls, with SuperUnelectable Newt even pulling ahead of Romney at one point, but Palin’s unfavorables are etched into granite forever? Come on. Come on. As unlikely as it is to happen, if Palin were to get in she’d be the frontrunner pretty quickly, if not immediately. You know it.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

How come she hasn’t?

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

“Electability” and, no, its not because she couldn’t win – provided the establishment GOP, helped rather than hindered her. I think she rightfully reasons the GOP “big thinkers” are going to need to blow a sure thing, at least one more time before they begin to do things in a different way – or perhaps her way.

The phrase: “How’s that electability working out for you?” is very soon going to become a rallying cry.

All of what is transpiring is the poisoned fruit of the electability argument since thats become the bottom line and not principle.

Sharr on January 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Because Ron would leave them in his pant’s pocket and forget to wear his pants. Christie would douse them in Ranch and devour them.

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

OT…no thread for BCS championship? Come on AP :)

lukespapa on January 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Pssssst! . . . promachus, over here. Come closer . . . closer . . . put your ear to the screen.

Whispering: Do you mean (furtively glances both ways), Sarah?

TheClearRiver on January 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I don’t stalk her from her next house. SO I don’t know.

And nobody is saying she will win a 50 state victory. We are just saying that she is heads and shoulder above the rest of this crappy field by the virtue of her record, policy platform and political instincts. She would have a chance to beat Obama, this field won’t.

Oh by the way, heard Romney was attacking crony capitalism, as issue introduced by her into the political debate? Shouldn’t that be interesting to you, given that she was called “an unserious person” by his team before?

promachus on January 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Sooo, you failed. Is that what you’re trying to say?

snark snark snarkety snark snark

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Too bad Bachmann quit, you know with that titanium spine and all….LOL

M240H Really? Don’t shoot your eye out…

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Chudi on January 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Uh huh you are some kind of special genius Rock On.

Dr Evil on January 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I Palined my car today.

Now it doesn’t run.

Oh well, it was always quitting on me anyway.

M240H on January 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Allahpundit on January 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

By the way, I hope you’re addressing that specifically to someone who has explicitly said that Palin would ever win 50 states or would utterly destroy all comers.

ddrintn on January 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Bishop on January 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Yupp. I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.

WryTrvllr on January 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

SARAH!

mrks on January 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

CUDA!

idesign on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Her husband is backing Newt, which seems to clearly say she’s not even thinking of running… :/

aryeung on January 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM