Oh my: 58% of Republicans want more candidates to choose from

posted at 8:05 pm on January 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

None of the above.

The survey finds that 58 percent of Republican primary voters want more presidential choices, while just 37 percent say they are satisfied with the current field. The percentage of Republican primary voters that wants more choices has increased 12 percentage points since October

It’s mathematically possible for another candidate to enter the race as late as early February and still win enough delegates to take the nomination, though some deadlines for candidates to get on state ballots have already passed, including those in delegate-rich Virginia and Illinois. A late entry into the GOP race would come with potentially-overwhelming obstacles, including the need to instantly build a national campaign apparatus and do the hard work of getting on state ballots in an extremely compressed time period…

There is no candidate in the GOP field who more than one third of Republican primary voters say they would enthusiastically support if he were the nominee. Rick Santorum does best in terms of enthusiasm, with 33 percent saying they would enthusiastically support him.

I know what you’re thinking, but c’mon. It may be “mathematically possible” to jump in now and win the most delegates but the Romney and Paul machines would battle to the bitter end. There’s no one on the Republican landscape with the possible exception of Jeb Bush who could declare today and sweep the field, and I doubt even Jeb could pull that off with Romney fighting him state by state. And no, a brokered convention wouldn’t solve the problem. Can you imagine the public watching Romney, Paul, and one of the other candidates wage a 50-state war for the next six months, with all the media coverage that would entail, only to have some entirely new person dropped on them as nominee two months before the election? Voters aren’t going to hand the launch codes to someone like Paul Ryan or Chris Christie who’s unknown to 80 percent of the electorate. And the baggage of Jeb’s last name would be even heavier if he were picked at a brokered convention: It would smell illegitimate, as if the GOP establishment had somehow engineered a primary coup to install yet another member of the Bush royal family to the throne. There’s just no way out of this situation, I think.

How depressed are Republicans about their predicament? Compare this year to 2008 in Pew’s new data:

I can’t believe it’s actually as high as 51 percent. There must be some sort of floor, probably around 40 percent or so, for any given field just based on pure partisanship within the sample. Figure 40 percent of either party will always, always say that a particular field is good or excellent. This crew has convinced another 11 percent of the remaining 60 that they’re worthy. Wonderful.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

SauerKraut537 on January 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Likewise. And it warms my heart to hear you and others saying so. Fight it out tooth and nail in the primaries but don’t lose perspective on who the enemy is.

MJBrutus on January 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Im sick of voting for “the lesser of two evils”. Im sick of settling for some crap candidate who barely embodies my ideal of government at all just because the other guy is even further away from those ideals.

G. W. Bush put me completely off the Republicans with his big government compassionate conservatism. Even still, I held my nose and voted for McCain because Obama was even worse. And now we appear to be on track for McCain 2.0 with Romney. No, thanks.

“A plague o’er both your houses!!”

gravityman on January 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I’m one of those 58%. there is nothing with the present candidates that makes me want to defedn them, talk them up, or even hope for a better outcome with them then Obama. I see if they win the problems will still be there but different people will feed from the taxpayer. There is no way in hell I can defend Mitt. And the Obama people I know are giddy at the prospect of mitt being the nominee.

Oh well hopefully we can survive 4 more years of Obama because Mitt can’t beat him. And he can’t fire him so it looks like we are stuck with Obama.

unseen on January 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Pragmatic on January 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM
If Palin is our ONLY hope-then all hope is gone.
*Bobby Jindal-pick up the damn red phone…PLEASE!*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 10, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Show a little fortitude and stick with RICK.

heshtesh on January 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

The democrats are going to attack with everything they can. They will lie if they can not find any valid attack.But there is no excuse for these republicans to attack Mitt AND capitalism
jibjab75 on January 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I’m just not convinced that what Romney is dealing with now necessarily equates to a complete negative for him. I believe Gennifer Flowers came out of the woodwork at about the same time in the “92 election cycle. It was early enough that Clinton was very much able to recover and go on to win the nomination and the the presidency. I don’t want Romney to get “trashed” either. I’m just not as worried about it as you. He’s a big boy and like you said, he’s going to have to deal with a lot worse than this in the months to come. Don’t forget, we are on the same side…..

lynncgb on January 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Well I don’t blame the none of the above crowd. I blame the Republican Party. Imagine how exciting a primary we would have been if we played our first string. The people who usually make the news by leading. Palin, West, Ryan, Jindal, Rubio and Christy could have all made a go of it but they didn’t? Why?

Instead we have a totally different crowd. No matter who is nominated I will vote for the Republican because that’s how bad I think Obama is. But don’t expect people to jump for joy over this line up. The reason I am undecided is that everytime I think I have decided, something comes out and I have to take a step back and adjust my decision process. Then there is all the lying to sort through. Its only been one caucus. I think I should get more time to decide.

magicbeans on January 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I hope Ron Paul runs 3rd party if Republicans propaganda outlets are going to be so blatant about trying to sink him.

FloatingRock on January 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I believe that Ron Paul loves this country and I would be absolutely shocked if he turned it and our last chance for survival over to the Marxists who are out to destroy every last vestage of America.

Curmudgeon that he is, I’m fairly certain he knows that Americans will not stand while a totalitarian government takes everything they own, including their freedom. He hates war and the government keeps pushing, there’s going to be a last straw.

Portia46 on January 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Romney will be like Abe Lincoln and Ronald Reagan. Once he gets in, he will fix crap and all these dummies will be embarrassed that they fought so hard to keep him out of office.

I mean…Rick Perry, dude??

That dude is dumb. A president must be smarter than your average high school senior in my opinion.

Jailbreak on January 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

There is, of course, hope that Romney could actually grow in the office, but not one thing in his background indicates that he has the soul deep understanding of deep thought and principles of Lincoln and Reagan. Hyperbole and unquestioned adherence to a mere mortal is what got us into this mess in the first place (Obama the messiah).

Rick Perry is far from dumb–and no, he’s not even on my radar as a preferred candidate. Statements like this do nothing for your man. And, BTW, smart has to do with IQ, not grade level.

Portia46 on January 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I’m one of them!

neyney on January 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Show a little fortitude and stick with RICK.

heshtesh on January 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Fear not-I am. If he gets out(when he gets out) I want Jindal!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

These poll questions about additional choices are utterly meaningless.

If you were asked, “would you like Baskin-Robbins to offer more than 31 flavors” what would your answer be?

If you were asked, “would you like Longhorm Steakhouse to offer additional menu items” what would your answer be?

The answer is always YES.

Duh!

Doug Piranha on January 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

In a year when my dog should be able to beat Obama, we get nothing but egos and clowns. How depressing.

firegnome on January 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I wanted Gov. Palin to run but she isn’t and I can’t do anything about it. I sure am not going to sit at home and pout. Romney is the second to last person I want to vote for. Obama is first.

wodiej on January 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM