Noted leader in Congress calls for defeat of do-nothing Congress

posted at 5:31 pm on January 8, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Being fundamentally lazy by nature there are few things better in life than a story that pops up on a Sunday afternoon which essentially writes itself. And in the case, I could spend a lot of time trying to think up witty quips to pepper the page with, but I honestly don’t know if I could concoct anything funnier than the woman’s own words.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said President Obama should use the “do-nothing Congress” as a punching bag on the campaign trail.

“Forget Democrats, for the good of the country, I think it’s really important for the president to make the race he is running against the do-nothing Congress,” she said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

Pelosi said Democrats do not feel stung by the president setting his sights on Congress, given that the American people are just as frustrated with the legislative body.

“I have no problem with the president’s statement,” she said. “We want the president to run the race that’s good for the country, and this do-nothing Congress must be defeated.”

Anticipating some of the feedback from readers, let’s make a few things clear right up front:

1. This is not from The Onion. I checked twice.
  2. The date is actually January 8th. Not April 1st
  3. There is absolutely zero proof of any sort that the former Speaker had been drinking

So Ms. Pelosi and her caucus have “no problem” with Obama running against the “do-nothing Congress” which “must be defeated.” I see…

Not for nothing, but aren’t you one of the most powerful leaders in that august body, even though in the minority? And for the record, it’s your chamber who has actually been doing something, what with passing a number of jobs bills, no? Not that you helped all that much with the effort. (Nice new video emphasizing that point, should you care to watch.) If anybody is falling into the “do-nothing” category, I’d say it’s your friends in the upper chamber who have slowly but surely morphed into a 21st century version of the Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight before our very eyes.

Pelosi had one other point she wanted to make crystal clear during these fabulous remarks:

Pelosi also vowed, if re-elected, to remain in office at least through 2014. Speculation spiked that Pelosi might be eyeing an end to her career as a lawmaker, after her daughter said in an interview with a conservative site that she wanted to retire. Pelosi’s office has called that claim “totally untrue.”

“There’s no greater honor for me than being the representative of San Francisco,” Pelosi said.

And for that we thank you. Especially if you’re going to keep on serving up softballs like this.

Update (AP): Here’s the clip.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

FIXED

CW on January 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

gootchie goo!

cjw79 on January 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

The Wicked Witch of the West has a melting brain from all the Botox.

pastselldate on January 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Facts

CW on January 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

O/T

via Drudge. Cake, anyone?

Axe on January 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I’m assuming that the Lincoln bedroom needed a good scrubbing the next day.

Bunsin2 on January 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I think somehow that Nancy will be more enthusiastic about the virtues of a Do Nothing Congress in a year’s time.

HitNRun on January 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

gootchie goo!

cjw79 on January 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Are you mentally unstable?

Or is that what you say when your own words are turned against you?

You guys had 2 years of the WH and Congress …… quit yer bitchin.

CW on January 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

gootchie goo!

cjw79 on January 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

But when I got there, the hole was already occupied!!!!

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

gootchie goo!

cjw79 on January 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Really?

Bunsin2 on January 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

O/T

via Drudge. Cake, anyone?

Axe on January 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

What I find so repugnant about the Obamas in that article is that they thought that their wild royal lavish partying using taxpayer money might not go down too well with their poor subjects,
so
they didn’t cancel their party,
they made the media cover it up and not report it at all .
And the media complied

burrata on January 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM

gootchie goo!

cjw79 on January 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I guess that is how really immature people respond when they have trouble articulating.

CW on January 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Does this ignorant witch not realize that she is part of the do nothing Congress?

xmanvietnam on January 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Remember those vids of Saddam Hussein as he purged the Iraqi congress, sitting quietly in a chair and smoking a cigar while various guys were dragged away one by one? Then, other dudes who hadn’t yet been targeted started jumping to their feet to noisily profess their undying love and loyalty for Saddam?
That’s Pelosi right there, willing to sell her people and her soul to save her own skin, jumping to her feet to screech and rant about how much she loves the dictator.
Bishop on January 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Agree

I’ll take a “do-nothing” Congress over a President, who’s broken the oath of office, any day of the week.
Weight of Glory on January 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Pelosi pulled off the biggest bait and switch in history.

Bush and Republicans added $3.2 Trillion to the debt over 6 years (from $5.8 Trillion on 09/30/2001 to $9 Trillion on 09/30/2007).
Pelosi condemned that and promised:

Instead of piling trillions of dollars of debt onto our children and grandchildren, we will restore “Pay As You Go” budget discipline.
Budget discipline has been abandoned by the Bush Administration and its Republican congressional majorities. Congress under Republican control has turned a projected $5.6 trillion 10-year surplus at the end of the Clinton years into a nearly $3 trillion deficit– including the four worst deficits in the history of America. The nation’s debt ceiling has been raised four times in just five years to more than $8.9 trillion. Nearly half of our nation’s record debt is owned by foreign countries including China and Japan. Without a return to fiscal discipline, the foreign countries that make our computers, our clothing and our toys will soon be making our foreign policy. Deficit spending is not just a fiscal problem – it’s a national security issue as well.
Our New Direction is committed to “Pay As You Go” budgeting – no more deficit spending.

Did Pelosi end deficit spending?

No, she TRIPLED it!

Instead of adding $0.5 Trillion to the national debt each year, she added almost $1.5 Trillion to the national debt each year.
Pelosi and the Democrats added $6.1 Trillion to the debt in less than 4.25 years (from $9 Trillion on 09/30/2007 to $15.1 Trillion on 12/27/2011)

If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren’t racist…..now you can prove you’re not an idiot.):)

Green eyed Lady on January 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Tumor?

Seems to be alot of those going around w/ CA pols.

Tim_CA on January 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The Progressive Individual liberty killing agenda marches on….

Change the faces (Daschle, Pelosi, Hastert, Boehner, Frist, Hoyer, Reid, etc) but their “progress” continues……

…….all the while lazy America sleeps.

PappyD61 on January 8, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Pelosi is the reason there should be term limits. I guess you can also add Barney Frank, Chuck Todd and Robert Byrd to the list.

the_souse on January 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Like the Democrat Senate that has done nothing about a required budget for over two years, is that the “do nothing” Congress you’re talking about San Fran Nan?

RJL on January 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM

What we need is an ‘undo all of the nonsense of the last 3 (or 5 — who’s counting) years’ congress. You know, back when things were just out of control.

15% across the board cuts. Eliminate ___ agency (repeat). Ah, who am I kidding.

Doing nothing is a choice, not doing what needs doing is also. One break coming up…
wake me for the voting

mickytx on January 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM

noted leader? I was hoping to never see her botoxed face with her oversize phali..whoops, gavel again!

Bambi on January 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Last time I checked, Obama is running for president, not leader of Congress.
A President running against Congress alludes to him competing for their authority, too.
That rebuttal deflates the whole DNC message.

AeroSpear on January 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM

talk about a do-nothing, this is what any republican should be running in all their ads.

deimos on January 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Green eyed Lady on January 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I’m sorry, I can’t let this one go without a comment. G.e.L., I know you didn’t write this because I think I first read a similar quote about 6 months ago. I believe I first read it as a comment in a response to an editoral somewhere. I have since seen it repeated many times, and I must say – IT DRIVES ME FREAKIN’ CRAZY!

I believe the actual quote is something like this: In 2008 I voted for Obama to prove I wasn’t a racist, now I’ll vote against him to prove I’m not an idiot.

Ok…If one truly voted for Obama to prove they weren’t a racist, who were they trying to prove it to – their neighbors, their friends, themselves? How is voting for someone proof that one is not a racist anyway? Isn’t kinda like saying “hey, I gave that homeless black dude $5, see – I’m not a racist.” ?

The second part of the quote: “I’ll vote against him (Obama) to prove I’m not an idiot” is what really gets me. If I ever here someone say that to me, my response will have to be “too late, you already proved you are an idiot by voting for him in 2008.”

I know whomever originally wrote it thought they were being clever or whatever, but I think it’s probably the dumbest thing anyone can say.

rant off//

St Gaudens on January 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM

She can go sit on a tack.

Alana on January 8, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Does Botox affect your butt? Like tightening it up so nothing escapes? This liberal whack keeps shooting off these insane popcorn F@rt$ that kind of explode from her mouth. Must be a severe gas backup or something that keeps leaking out !

stormridercx4 on January 8, 2012 at 11:42 PM

In her mind (as in the minds of many others in Congress):

If you’re in the minority you’re not part of the problem, you’re part of the solution.

However, if you’re in the majority you’re not part of the problem, you’re part of the solution.

Any questions?

Mr_Magoo on January 8, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I bope she steps on a lego

speekr on January 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM

rant off//
St Gaudens on January 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Neil Snyder is a chaired professor emeritus at the University of Virginia. His blog, SnyderTalk.com, is posted daily. His latest book is titled If You Voted for Obama in 2008 to Prove You’re Not a Racist, You Need to Vote for Someone Else in 2012 to Prove You’re Not an Idiot.

Green eyed Lady on January 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Nancy, have you ever considered a colonic?

listens2glenn on January 9, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I can’t believe anyone would be dumb enough to try running against a do-nothing congress in a modern campaign.

Today, rightly or wrongly, all eyes are on the president. Lots of voters can’t even name their own representatives. Political engagement is much much lower today than back then, and disengaged people associate the president with everything.

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Do DWS and Pelosi not look in the mirror when they talk about do nothing Congress? It’s teh Dem controlled Senate that hasn’t passed a budget in more than two years. Luckily for them, there are a LOT of stupid voters.

Yakko77 on January 9, 2012 at 6:38 AM

The Republican held house seems to be passing a lot of bills that Dingy Harry buries in the Senate.

This is if course the GOP’s fault because Dingy Harry is a secret Republican.

CorporatePiggy on January 9, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Lets be serious – Pelosi is NOT a noted leader but a delusional California liberal who should retire and will when Obama is tossed from his perch.

Amazingoly on January 9, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I swear, each time I see this idiot, I yearn for the return of Pie-Face International!

pilamaye on January 9, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Man oh man, wish I could do 15 trillion dollars worth of NOTHING (and counting).

racquetballer on January 9, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Green eyed Lady on January 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I guess the big qualifier is the use of the word “If” at the start of the professor’s quote/book title. I have been reading that quote on blogs and in comments where the poster substitutes the “if” with “I”, and it sounds idiotic (albeit probably true) that some people actually did vote for Obama to “prove” they weren’t a racist.

Thanks for providing the source of the phrase.

St Gaudens on January 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM

She’s not an idiot in the classic sense but knows full well what she’s done, which has been to destroy our form of government, ultimately handing Mr. Obama plenipotentiary powers with which to reign. Ms. Valerie Jarrett said it best in November, 2008, “Mr. Obama will be ready to rule on day one.” This was not a slip up or faux pas but a chilling harbinger into what’s in store for America. Rule by fiat.

LizardLips on January 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM

To put America in such a huge debt, what use is a college education? I presume that nearly 100% of these clowns in Washington have a college degree. Really, who needs one; The Manufacturers Manual is written out beautifully in the Constitution. Just read the manual and follow the instructions. A fifth grader SHOULD be able to do that. Blow up the Dept of Education and “Throw Them All Out!”

racquetballer on January 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Guess who’s tops on the list. You couldn’t pass a budget bill even when congress had the presidency and a democratic majority in both houses. sheesh Nancy numbjugs

jake49 on January 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM

er rephrase, but you get the message

jake49 on January 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM

You could chase Lugosi away from Congress with a stick as big and a piece of stovewood. You notice I call her Lugosi because she is a known bloodsucker.

logicman_1998 on January 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM

This old hag can stay in congress until her ugly a$$ bones bleach in the sun. She would be just as useful then as she is now. Better looking too, I would guess.

rjulio on January 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Having botulinum toxin injected into ones face regularly obviously has adverse effects.
(never mind the nip here, the tuck there, and the implants/lifts)
A narcissist from San Francisco? Surely you jest. /sarc

Bishop on January 8, 2012

Spot-On.
As were the other posts that point out her limitless hypocrisy and lunacy.
She is the type of person who should never hold national office.
“Making Nero look relatively sane is not a good thing”

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Does anybody here feel the least bit of pity for Nan as she sinks deeper, ever deeper, into senility?

I didn’t think so.

Neither do I.

Solaratov on January 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM

It’s adorable how you don’t understand how ridiculous you look substituting your words in for mine.

cjw79 on January 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM

It’s adorable how you fail to understand how much of a lickspittle you are and how ridiculous you look trying to defend the indefensible.

Solaratov on January 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM

You cannot seem to comprehend the simplest of points. Why is that?

CW on January 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

It’s a democRAT.

Solaratov on January 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM

gootchie goo!

cjw79 on January 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Yep.Really gettin’ to you. LOLZ@U

Solaratov on January 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Nancy, have you ever considered a colonic?

listens2glenn on January 9, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Nancy + Clean-Colon = No more Nancy.

Axe on January 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM

so
they didn’t cancel their party,
they made the media cover it up and not report it at all .
And the media complied