Live, from the Spin Room, it’s …

posted at 12:37 am on January 8, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Well, if you’re going to have a spin room, don’t you want people who “spin” for a living?  In this case, we have one of the most appropriate appearances in politics.  Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s spin, too, and if you look carefully in this video, you can see Philip Klein shooting me an “I can’t believe we’re recording this” look that I was returning at the same time. Most audacious spin: Debbie Wasserman Schultz claiming that Barack Obama has begun climbing out of the pit of George Bush’s record deficits by, er, tripling the worst deficit Bush ever ran three years running, or something. Like I said … spin.

Believe it or not, we also had some Republicans in the spin room as well.  In fact, as he has done in every debate, Rick Santorum represented himself in the spin room, which I thought might not happen due to either his front-runner status or his sore throat.  Nope; Santorum stuck to his plan, and this time he got a lot more attention.  In fact, I didn’t even hear what he was saying until I played this back tonight in the filing center. Santorum answers questions about his 2006 loss in the Senate race, and says that he has “no doubt” that he can win in Pennsylvania now. Santorum also says that he “repeatedly” attacked Romney in this debate:

After this, I found Senator Rand Paul representing his father Ron in the hall. Once again, it was impossible to hear the conversation, and I’m grateful for the good microphone I have for this purpose. Paul talks about his effort to force a vote on Barack Obama’s Libya adventure, an effort that I wholeheartedly supported and applauded at the time. He also offers some insightful analysis about why it’s so hard to go after Romney, which is that his demerits are already so well known — and that the rest of the field have some of the same shortcomings. Maybe Rand and Ron should trade places.

I also briefly got to interview former governor John Sununu, who first asked me who I represented. When I told him Hot Air, he laughed and said, “‘Hot Air’? Sounds like Democrats!” I told him nothing could cut me more deeply, and so he agreed to do a short interview to help promote Romney’s performance in the debate:

Since we have another debate tomorrow, I probably shouldn’t wait to give my thoughts on the one tonight. To channel my inner Newt — frankly, I thought it was fundamentally awful. In the first hour of the debate, ABC managed to waste about a quarter of the time on states banning contraception, which was a pressing issue as recently as … 1965. Mitt Romney reamed out George Stephanopoulos for fixating on contraception, and eventually Diane Sawyer shut him down on it. Then both of them went on a long series about gay marriage, which is another issue that is nowhere near the top, oh, 50 issues in American life today. Newt Gingrich ended up asking ABC why it isn’t pursuing anti-Catholic bigotry in media and government, one of his best moments in the debate, and we eventually spent a lot of time talking about jobs. Ha, ha, I kid, of course; that subject was barely mentioned by ABC and had to be repeatedly referenced by the candidates instead.

Guy Benson has a marvelous blow-by-blow roundup, so be sure to read it in its entirety.  My assessment is that Romney once again won by not getting punched by the field, which seemed to focus more on each other instead.  Newt Gingrich never went Newtclear as we figured he might, and that made his performance tonight a bit anti-climatic, but he was still good, effective, and especially dynamic when he went on the warpath with ABC.  Santorum helped his cause with a strong debate performance.  Rick Perry gave another good debate performance, but I doubt it will be a gamechanger here or in South Carolina; he needs a spectacular performance, accompanied by collapses for all of his competitors.  Paul was Paul, and Huntsman — who started out very sharp — eventually was Huntsman, with a quote in Chinese that had the press in the filing center groaning and laughing.  That could be a game changer for Huntsman, but not in the way he wants.

I’ll watch tomorrow’s debate, but I’ll be doing so from my hotel room.  I don’t expect to get too much better, with the candidates going on little sleep and wondering how they let Romney slip from their grasp yet again.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wasserman-Schmutz should spontaneously combust every time she lies.

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM

OMG. There’s another debate tomorrow????

Call me when this is all over.

J.E. Dyer on January 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Romney can just switch to cruise control now. If he doesn’t fall asleep and drive off the road, he’s probably our nominee.

RBMN on January 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Newt Gingrich never went Newtclear as we figured he might

One of his seconds probably slipped a strong sedative into his Kickapoo juice.

RasThavas on January 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I can’t believe no one chloroformed that abrasive harpie. Debbie Dunce should just spontaneouly combust, period. I never want to make a living by spewing socialist lies. I’d say she made a pact with Satan, but I don’t believe she has a soul to sell. Maybe she’s one of those robots from Japan.

She could strike up a conversation with Huntsman, perhaps.

Philly on January 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Barone thinks Romney clinched it tonight. If he blows out the primary on Tuesday then it’s pretty much in the bag for Romney.

Contact your priests, rabbis or psychiatrists and start bracing for the emotional trauma of running yet another establishment Republican for POTUS in Mitt Rino.

NickDeringer on January 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM

OMG. There’s another debate tomorrow????

Call me when this is all over.

J.E. Dyer on January 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM

No! You have to see it.

It’ll be the full hour on the fascinating intricacies of the Contraception 2012 issues. Hemroidal topics too, if time permits, (which I expect it will).

aquaviva on January 8, 2012 at 12:49 AM

NickDeringer on January 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM

How about we start calling him Mitt RinOMNEY? That works for me. LOL

gryphon202 on January 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Wow, these are fantastic Ed. I would have been so tempted to make sound effects after Debbie Downer’s diatribes. Awesome self-control on display there.

msmveritas on January 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Ahhh, Debbie Downer…sooner or later she’ll be reduced to having a lame show on MSNBC, if she’s lucky.

Paradox Drive on January 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Hang on a minute…how did Obama vote on the senior prescription benefit, “unpaid for”? How did Wasserman-Schultz vote on it?

L.N. Smithee on January 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM

What exactly in Gov Romney’s answers did you object to? I found him to be conservative in every way. We all change. I have become much more conservative as I see the idiots on the other side, and what they are doing to our country.
He and Rubio would make a great duo. They are both smart, good looking and love this country.

Bambi on January 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Mitt just has to follow the formula of not taking the liberal moderators’ bait, pivoting to discussing the big picture, talking about how the economy actually works, and knowing when all of the major sports seasons are in play. If he does this, he’s home free.

It would help if he could discuss the larger implications of the Islamist threat in the Middle East and Africa. Energy policy is good, too. Kind of a big deal.

Mitt, are you going to support a ban on contraceptives in Pennsylvania?

Philly on January 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Between wasserman and jemu greene always on fox, I’m getting to the point when I turn fox off more and more.

Bambi on January 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM

OMG. There’s another debate tomorrow????

Call me when this is all over.

J.E. Dyer on January 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM

OK I fast-forwarded to the end.

***SPOILERS***

Romney wins the nomination, but loses to Obama, then Gingrich seizes power in a military coup. Santorum gets the girl, and Rick Perry kills Ron Paul in a duel. Huntsman takes over China and will return in the sequel.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Santorum and Gingrich had the “money” spots of the debate.

I think Santorum was the winner because he articulated his platform well, handled the questions assertively, and got the most hits on Romney.

Romney came across as insincere, wishy-washy, was all over the map regarding economic solutions, and actually dodged a couple of important questions.

Interesting that Stephanopolous was always “blocking” for Romney. He asked questions in such a way that the candidates were never allowed to directly respond to Romney’s answers.

Most interesting comment for me was when Democrat Donna Brazille said the she believed Romney was the WEAKEST candidate and the one the Democrats want to run against!

Confirmation that Conservatives should elect anyone but Romney!

Sparky5253 on January 8, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I don’t understand why no one is reacting to the basic Alinsky drill these MSM-run debates engage in. Why is ABC running tonight’s debate? Why is Debbie Downer in the spin room? Why is Donna Brasile offering “analysis”? Over the past few months we’ve had four or five relatively serviceable candidates knocked out of contention by the media’s “pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it” tactic. As the Democrats and their media servants drive us to a Romney-Obama campaign which they are completely ready for. They haven’t gone after Romney because their saving it for the general.

We need Republican-run debates for Republican candidates and Republican primary voters.

Franklin S on January 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM

ED! Get your @$$ to bed! You are under the weather, and it’s only primary politics…get some rest…
How can you be under the weather…get so close to that woman (without vomiting)…and not have lice jump out of her hair…onto your person! You better get checked! (They have those bombs for fleas…I used them a dozen years ago in my house when my dog brought something home). Get checked out, before you go home!
Are you starting to itch anywhere? (:>)

KOOLAID2 on January 8, 2012 at 1:05 AM

L.N. Smithee on January 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM

OK, did some research.

1. It looks like Dems were united against the Senior Prescription bill (H.R. 1, 2003), but I can’t find any indication that it was out of fiscal responsibility.

2. Neither Wasserman-Schultz nor Obama were in office.

Never mind.

L.N. Smithee on January 8, 2012 at 1:05 AM

OMG. There’s another debate tomorrow????

Call me when this is all over.

J.E. Dyer on January 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Yeah it’s on Meet the Press? or Eat the Press? or Meet the Depressed? or Cheat the Rest? Greet the Mess? but it’s on at 9am ET which means 8am where I live, so just sleep in and avoid it–or watch the USA NCIS marathon which conveniently starts at the same time.

stukinIL4now on January 8, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I would say Obama lost this debate. Every one was spitting mad at Obama for his unconstitutional actions this week so made the debate a Dump on Obama Night.

I think that was smart. There is a long time to go and 25% helps Romney little it actually hurts him he needs 50% not 25%. Michele Bachman’s delegates are not likely to vote for Romney neither will the other losers so Romney could actually be far in the back.

Steveangell on January 8, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Bambi on January 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Ohhhhkaayyyy…

L.N. Smithee on January 8, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Franklin S on January 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Thank you! THAT SHOULD BE EVERYONE’S FOCUS!
Why isn’t it?

KOOLAID2 on January 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Can some one plz tell that stupid cuzt about a recent invention called shampoo ?

cableguy615 on January 8, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Confirmation that Conservatives should elect anyone but Romney!

Sparky5253 on January 8, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Someone who takes advice from Donna Brazille is the WEAKEST.

galtani on January 8, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Ed should read Stephen Hayes wrap-up, speaking of spin.

Even when Romney detractors still spin it against him. Hayes points out that the deabate opened with the mods giving candidates ample opportunity to attack Romney.

On 3 occasions they did. On 3 occasions they failed.

Romney detractors got to get over this notion he just lucked out. He got attacked. He just knows how to deftly deflect and beat back attacks to the point where it makes the attacker look bad or mean and they dont want to bother.

Ed, its called skill.

swamp_yankee on January 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Confirmation that Conservatives should elect anyone but Romney!

Sparky5253 on January 8, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Oh!…hope more people noticed that!
I thought it was all rather strange, though Mitt did well.
Maybe, that’s why he did well. Sounded more conservative than evah!

KOOLAID2 on January 8, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Wasserman-Schmutz should spontaneously combust every time she lies.

Schadenfreude
on January 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I’d settle for her nose growing longer. : )

listens2glenn on January 8, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Ed, I’m glad you were there and reported on this so I didn’t have to. You missed a good high scoring playoff game tonight. The Saints eventually prevailed, but the Lions looked good until they pooped out in the 4th quarter. This will be a team to watch in the coming years. Oh but I digress. Politics. Romney wins New Hampshire in a landslide, Sawyer and George The Greek continue their journey to cellar of the network news ratings, and by Super Tuesday, it will all be over except to see who Romney picks for a VP.

In more important news, The Giants will beat the Falcons, just barely, and the Steelers will win easily over the Broncos.

simkeith on January 8, 2012 at 1:31 AM

And…she winked!

KOOLAID2 on January 8, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I like Debbie Wasserman Schultz. You always know what the default democrat party line is on any subject just by listening to her. She never varies,she never comes up with anything original, Just whatever the party line is

LordDaMan on January 8, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Confirmation that Conservatives should elect anyone but Romney!

Sparky5253 on January 8, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Yeah, I always turn to the likes of Donna Brazile and Paul Begala for honest analysis.

GOPRanknFile on January 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

yeah right. After the biggest loss in history for a sitting Senator. Because now he’s so …… different.

Marcus on January 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Cool! Just rolled in! What did I miss? Did Perry win the debate again?

John the Libertarian on January 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM

When I told him Hot Air, he laughed and said, “‘Hot Air’?

Shows you how much the bigwigs in R party are connected to their own base

burrata on January 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Paradox Drive on January 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Even worse. She could become the next Speaker of the House when Mitt (who will lose in a utter blowout to Obama) drags down the entire Republican ticket straight down to municipal dog catcher.

It’s over.

Prepare for 2016 and hope for a rebuilding of the republic. But it will NEVER be a small government deal ever again. We will be stuck living in a Great Britain or Greece, redux.

The Tea Party failed, and failed mightily.

Myron Falwell on January 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Bambi on January 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Romney did say all the right things. I want to believe the guy. Trust me, I’m not interested in having a nominee whom I fear is a stealth Democrat or moderate. Tonight did get me to start feeling a lot more comfortable with Mittens as the GOP candidate. He’s making too many promises to the conservative base to not risk a full-scale revolt on not only his Presidency, but on the entire Republican Party, if he were to get into office and subsequently renege on every one of them.

He’s pledged to repeal Obamacare. He promises to cut corporate taxes to 25%(I’d like them lower, but it’s still an improvement). He says he’ll expand domestic energy production. He wants to repeal Dodd-Frank. He praised Justices Alito, Scalia, Roberts, and Thomas. He openly supported the repeal of Roe vs. Wade. For chrissakes, the man is threatening a trade war with China! No one but Trump has gone that far in this entire campaign season.

If it was anyone else saying this stuff, they’d be a cinch for the nomination because they’d have the entire conservative base behind them. But Mittens does have a spotty record as Governor and a Senatorial candidate which understandably makes people weary. I take comfort in the fact that he can’t possibly break this many promises to us. He knows he’d be throwing himself and his party under the bus. We’re not Democrats. We don’t fall in line out of a sense of loyalty or obligation. We hold people accountable and we demand results. So Romney and his establishment backers have to know that it won’t be business as usual if he were to win the nomination and ascend to the Presidency. Hell, the mess Obama is leaving him by itself will guarantee that. I’m still not 100% sold on the guy, but tonight went a long way toward alleviating some of the fears I had about him.

Doughboy on January 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM

And Rand Paul nails why the other candidates haven’t attacked Romney as much as they’d like. Though to be honest, this isn’t rocket science.

Between Romneys 2008 run and the fact that he’s polled reasonably well throughout the primary, the vast majority of his criticisms are already well known. Reiterating those criticisms, again and again, louder and louder each time, would only make the other candidates look irate and unhinged. In other words, he’s been vetted on this front, and is therefore largely immunized.

Additionally Rand is also very apt to point out that most of these candidates have the same weaknesses. There’s a reason why Newt seems to go after Romney about his business experience more often than his actual political record. It’s kind of difficult to criticize somebody for using a state wide mandate when you yourself advocated a federal one. On this front, the only candidates that can really attack Romney without being hypocritical, are Ron Paul and Rick Perry.

Honestly, both have done reasonably good jobs attacking Romney, at least in terms of subjects that haven’t been pounded to death. Paul however isn’t going to get the nomination because he’s too far out of the mainstream, and Perrys poor performance early on all but nullifies any points he might score. As such, the most these sorts of attacks do is give Romney debate practice. In other words, they’re vetting him and making him a stronger general election candidate.

It might seem strange to some, but this is part of the reason why Romney is thought to be a strong general election candidate. Obama is such a weak candidate that his only realistic shot as winning is to demonize whomever he’s running against. This would be a very viable strategy, against any of the candidates BUT Romney. Mitt is a known quantity, the public perception of the man is fairly well cemented and he has reasonably high favorables. meaning he will be successfully hard to demonize.

Not that Obama won’t try. Mark my words, before this election is over Romney will be attacked both as lefty socialist AND as a right wing nutjob. Heck, it’s pretty much inevitable right now. I mean, what else Obama gonna say, don’t vote for this reasonable articulate candidate?

WolvenOne on January 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I think it’s a massive ethical conflict for a sitting member of congress to be a party chair. At the least the ridiculous partisan horsepucky worsens necessary relations in the House, and how can a person adequately serve both positions at the same time.

/presuming the person is even ‘adequate’ in the first place, which Debbie Liar-Liar demonstrably is not.

rayra on January 8, 2012 at 2:16 AM

This had to be the worst group of questions that I have heard so far. I kept waiting for one of the candidates to ask the moderators why they never asked Obama any of these questions. Chicken hawk? Man and woman only marriage? Iran going nuclear? 20 years in ONE church and he never heard any of the anti-American garbage? State prohibited birth control? Collapse of Iraq after he pulled everyone out? How many years did Obama serve in the military?
The other thing I noticed was the Ron Paul is just a mean nasty old man. He is a loser of the first order and could not lead anyone but a bunch of dope seeking college kids. Constitutionalist my ass. Everyone there had a great debate except Paul. All of the other candidates eventually went after Obama but Paul. Euthanasia comes to mind when I see him perform.

inspectorudy on January 8, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Pretty good summary of the debate by some guy on RedState, of all places:

Let’s face it: the ABC News New Hampshire debate was the worst debate of the entire election cycle. And that is saying something, considering the sheer volume of debates. How many years and election cycles will it take before Republicans learn to turn to conservatives as moderators for presidential debates, instead of washed up Democrat hacks disguised as journalists?

Now, to the extent that such a pathetic debate is worthy of any analysis, the clear winner was Mitt Romney. Watching the debate, you’d think Ron Paul was the frontrunner. All of the verbal altercations played out between Ron Paul and one of the other candidates. Romney was able to sit pretty throughout the entire debate, except for one monologue from Santorum at the end of the debate. Undoubtedly, the platform for the debate, along with the inane questions, wasn’t exactly conducive to attacking Romney’s liberal record as governor. However, they all had an opportunity during the opening salvo of the debate. They failed miserably.

The candidates were given an opportunity to assail Romney’s business record at Bain Capital as a job killer. Gingrich and Santorum should have parried the question and gone after Romney on his record in politics. They should have praised Romney’s record as a businessman while ticking off his liberal vices and his terrible record as Governor, most prominently, his record on healthcare. They should have decried the fact that we are on the precipice of nominating Obama’s inspiration for Obamacare as his successor. Instead, they chose an awkward position – one that placed them to Romney’s left on free-market entrepreneurship. Why attack his record as a CEO when you can destroy him on his liberal record as governor? This was the biggest mistake on the part of those who are seeking to derail Romney.

To be sure, it was refreshing to hear Santorum finally take Romney to task for his class system rhetoric; however, he obviated his argument by making “blue collar worker” a prominent part of his lexicon. Santorum should have also used that response as an opportunity to attack Romneycare for its inherent class warfare. Romneycare disincentivizes success and upward mobility by offering greater subsidies for lower income earners.

I still can’t get over the fact that we are about to nominate the godfather of market-distorting government-run healthcare in an election against government-run healthcare. This is insane.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Republican pundits always dump on Donald Trump hosting a debate,

But I got to think he could ask some better questions than Diane Sawyer and Steffi.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:29 AM

OK I fast-forwarded to the end.

***SPOILERS***

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Mortimer Huntsman takes over China?

fossten on January 8, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:27 AM

God is exacting his perilous revenge on us as a nation. For what exactly, I have no idea. But there is no other explanation.

Myron Falwell on January 8, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I loved the part when Newt says the institution of mariiage has been one man and one woman for the last 3,000 years. And then Mitt corrected him and said it has only been one and one woman for 123 years and then they all laughed. Good times!!!

ZippyZ on January 8, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Ron Paul just cracked 27 percent in New Hampshire with that performance. Book it.

fatlibertarianinokc on January 8, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Mitt Romney, the Excuse Candidacy vs. Barack Obama, the Excuse Presidency

ROMNEY:
RomneyCare? The Democrats made me do it!
Liberal Judges? The Democrats made me do it!
State-Paid Abortions? The Democrats made me do it!
Quit the Party when Reagan ran? The Extremist Republicans (Reagan) made me do it!

OBAMA:
Struggling Economy? Bush did it!
High Unemployment? Bush did it!
Foreign AFFAIRS in Disarray? Bush did it! And Ron Paul knows it!
Bank Bailouts? Romney was for them!
Medicare Fraud Bankrupting Medicare? Romney did it! (Damon Corp.)
The Hollowing out of American Industry? Romney DID IT! (Romney/Bain Deals)
Wall Street Bank Using Fake Analyst Reports to Boost Company’s Financials? Romney Company was Beneficiary and Romney benefited from it!
Bankrupting Companies & Sticking Taxpayers with the Pension Obligations? Romney DID it!
Bankrupting Companies and Leaving Stockholders and Debt Holders with nothing? Romney did IT!

….

Obamacare? ROMNEY INVENTED IT!

So, the Republican party is determined to select as its nominee the man who made RomneyCare the law in his state – the same healthcare law that was the blueprint for Obamacare. And then they expect Tea Party people, fiscal conservatives and Reagan Democrats (fiscally & socially conservative blue-collar workers) to vote for him? Hmmmm …

Mitt Romney, the Massachusetts Moderate with the Liberal record, technocrat reputation (anyone remember another Mass. governor like this?) and “shady” vulture capitalism background is an extremely odd choice for the standard bearer of a party whose rank and file despise Obamacare and crony capitalism.

JonBGood on January 8, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Myron Falwell on January 8, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Too bad you’re not serious.

Cleombrotus on January 8, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Myron Falwell on January 8, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Too bad you’re not serious.

Cleombrotus on January 8, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Actually, I’m like a heart attack.

I’m pretty damn serious.

Myron Falwell on January 8, 2012 at 3:36 AM

I wanna ask a question but I have to defer to yahoo, so to be somewhat involved I’d like to ask you to pretend ur in ur kitchen and answer this ridulous question as if ur life depended on it and be sure to pander to our audience and remember ur in ur kitchen, and really I’m not on pain meds, do u really hate gay people or am I getting it wrong and by the way ur in ur kitchen and we aren’t talking to just NH people but people sitting at ur kitchen table, do I need to repeat the question? If u could include contraception in the answer all the better, go. Response: What was the question again?

smitty41 on January 8, 2012 at 3:44 AM

5% Alien-believing Christians +
15% Atheists +
5% either muslims, satanist, or muslim-loving christians +

[nil] True Christians waiting for Christ

TheAlamos on January 8, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Yup.

God does not bless a tyranny.

Not even a soft one like us, the U.S.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Myron Falwell on January 8, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Vermin Supreme: When I’m President Everyone Gets A Free Pony

This guy has my vote. Plus the free pony, can’t go wrong!

Yakko77 on January 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Vermin Supreme: When I’m President Everyone Gets A Free Pony

This guy has my vote. Plus the free pony, can’t go wrong!

Yakko77 on January 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Second look at Vermin?

Myron Falwell on January 8, 2012 at 4:16 AM

“Rick Perry wants to establish a strategic presence in Iraq like we have in hot spots around the world. That’s not an invasion, that’s common sense.”

We did so in Europe, South Korea, Japan, etc..

Ex: Do you really think South Korea would still be free today if we would not have stayed around awhile ?

tonotisto on January 8, 2012 at 4:59 AM

DWS really is an attack poodle spewing lies like some reflux acids fortified with one week old tacos.

Barf!!

Sherman1864 on January 8, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Yup.
God does not bless a tyranny.
Not even a soft one like us, the U.S.
Enjoy it while it lasts.
Myron Falwell on January 8, 2012 at 3:50 AM

It appears they will let just about anyone register with hotair these days.

BTW, you forgot one number: one hundred percent of Americans don’t like you, Mr. Taliban hiding in a cave ….

“Yup” was a good touch, however.

Sherman1864 on January 8, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Rick Perry gave another good debate performance,

W h a t ?

Ed, didn’t you hear him say that if he were president now, he’d invade Iraq again?
That’s gonna turn his 4% into 2%.

BTW, has anyone ever won all 50 states in a presidential primary season with no incumbent (as Romney will)?

itsnotaboutme on January 8, 2012 at 6:21 AM

You should have you represented Hot Gas. Then he would have known who you were.

vcferlita on January 8, 2012 at 6:39 AM

itsnotaboutme on January 8, 2012 at 6:21 AM

If he wins SC, where he is leading, the damn will burst for him!

MJBrutus on January 8, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I only watched for about 40 minutes and I had to turn it off. It’s all I could take of Diana Sawyer and Stephanopoulos. In that time Newt got one question which was all about Romney and Perry got one question. Other than that it was the Paul, Romney and Sanctorum show, with Sanctorum allowed to run on and on. Oh yeah, Huntsman got to speak few times. The two candidates who actually have a chance to beat Obama, Gingrich and Perry, were being neutralized with all the time going to the candidates who the media want to run against Obama. I can’t believe that the Republicans let the enemy run their presidential primary debates. It’s insane. I imagine the moderators all get together afterward and laugh their asses off over the stupidity of the Republican Party.

saspepper on January 8, 2012 at 7:06 AM

LordDaMan on January 8, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I gotta tell you that the more I (painfully) listen to her, the more I am reminded of Baghdad Bob.

TKindred on January 8, 2012 at 7:13 AM

I didn’t watch any of the debates. I know who I am NOT voting for, and there was a couple really good football games on, besides.

I MIGHT be persuaded to vote for Perry or Santorum, but no one else comes close to be a viable conservative candidate. With Bachmann and Palin both out of the race, I have a very good chance of just sitting this one out.

TKindred on January 8, 2012 at 7:17 AM

I have a very good chance of just sitting this one out.

TKindred on January 8, 2012 at 7:17 AM

“If I can’t get the country to do everything I want, I don’t care what bad things happen to it!”

itsnotaboutme on January 8, 2012 at 7:22 AM

TKindred on January 8, 2012 at 7:17 AM

ditto

TheAlamos on January 8, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Second look at Vermin?

Myron Falwell on January 8, 2012 at 4:16 AM

At least he’s funny sorta.

TheAlamos on January 8, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Interesting vids. Spin *can* be funny. But that’s *even more* why I think GINGRICH WON: he was the only one to control the narrative; the rest passively followed these mediocre moderators into Leftist LaLaLand drivel diversions. He’s is the only one with the strength and intelligence to refocus when diverted, to call on the carpet when hypocrisy arises.

Czar of Defenestration on January 8, 2012 at 7:31 AM

“I have a very good chance of just sitting this one out.”
TKindred on January 8, 2012 at 7:17 AM
“ditto”
TheAlamos on January 8, 2012 at 7:27 AM

*Thanks* (/S) for helping to re-elect Obama, tools.

Czar of Defenestration on January 8, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Diane Sawyer. I’ll have what she’s having.

saspepper on January 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Wasserman-Schmutz should spontaneously combust every time she lies.

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM

There aren’t enough carbon credits on Earth to cover that burn!

evilned on January 8, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Diane Sawyer. I’ll have what she’s having.

saspepper on January 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM

She should be the poster child for the Betty Ford clinic.
Seriously, she needs to give a blood sample for analysis.

trs on January 8, 2012 at 7:48 AM

I didn’t hear any specific cuts in this debate. Can’t we at least start there? Diane Sawyer needs to get over herself. She’s just not that good.

racquetballer on January 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM

It is just totally classless, baseless, and utter nonsense to keep on bellowing about how Obama inherited such a horrible mess. When ya can’t think of anything your guy as accomplished, bash the previous guy.

If I were a Democrat, I’d be embarrassed as heck to have DWS speak on my behalf.

JetBoy on January 8, 2012 at 7:57 AM

good morning HA

did someone bring goodies for this go around?

agree with Ed’s assessment above….but the first thing I saw when I opened up HA, *shudder* DWS

cmsinaz on January 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM

what’s the over/under that we will hear the same questions from gregory this am?

cmsinaz on January 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM

*Thanks* (/S) for helping to re-elect Obama, tools.

Czar of Defenestration on January 8, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Thanks for running Albino Obama candidates so the song remains the same. You know nothing about me, but you are happy to deride my comments without anything other than ad hominum?

I’ve earned my right to cast or withhold my vote from any candidate in any election. I’m a life member of the Disabled American Veterans, and live every day of my life in pain due to my service. Now, that and $1 will buy me a cup of joe at the local McDonalds, but what I’m saying is that I base my choices upon the candidate or candidates which will best support ME.

I’ve sent what I could afford, and put sweat equity into getting real conservatives elected, not the greased-up, slicked-down GOP appointed morons that we seem to be saddled with this time around.

Of those still in the race, only Santorum and Perry have anything approaching actual conservative values.

I cannot, and will not cast my ballot ever again for someone who doesn’t, in my opinion, represent me and my values. I will never again cast my vote for someone just to keep someone else out of office. NEVER. AGAIN. If my party cannot or will not run actual conservatives for office, then perhaps it’s time to find a new party and let the self-annointed GOP elites rot.

Electing Romney, Huntsman, Paul or Giungrich will do NOTHING to change Washington, or the direction our country is headed. NOTHING.

TKindred on January 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Judging by these comments, I’m glad I watched the football game …

Besides, given the dearth of quality GOP competition this go-around, the choice this year is easy. Depressingly easy … http://bit.ly/qVdDUt

ombdz on January 8, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Wasserman-Schmutz should spontaneously combust every time she lies. Schadenfreude on January 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM

She’s be quite the crispy lass by now…

Akzed on January 8, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I want to be able to look myself in the mirror and not be ashamed of the way I voted, and with who’s left on the GOP ticket, I honestly can’t do that right now. TKindred on January 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

If you sit out this election you should avoid mirrors.

Akzed on January 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM

If you sit out this election you should avoid mirrors.

Akzed on January 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM

You completely miss the gist of my comment(s), but thanks for playing.

TKindred on January 8, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Doughboy on January 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I wish I could believe this. I used to believe this stuff – I no longer do, not after the results of 2010. I think the Establishment’s only interest is pilfering as much cash as they possibly can before the USA finally goes bankrupt. I think one of the reason Romney’s been selected as the “next in line” is specifically because he won’t shake things up for an Establishment that doesn’t want to take a pay cut or make lifestyle changes.

Doomberg on January 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM

You completely miss the gist of my comment(s), but thanks for playing. TKindred on January 8, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Actually, I nailed it. Not voting for a candidate who is say, 70% in line with your views, when the opponent is at 0% of your views, is stupid.

Akzed on January 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Actually, I’m like a heart attack.

I’m pretty damn serious.

Myron Falwell on January 8, 2012 at 3:36 AM

And you don’t know WHY?

Cleombrotus on January 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Glad Ed was there. Thought Diane Sawyer was going to pass out while hissing the word “Constitution” during her setup for the question on gay marriage. Was she bored or disgusted with the quaint discussion on the Constitutionality of a subject, or both?

Virginia Shanahan on January 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM

God does not bless a tyranny.

Myron Falwell on January 8, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Sure you’re not confusing cause with effect?

Cleombrotus on January 8, 2012 at 9:19 AM

“Poodlehead” needs to go back to Florida to campaign for her seat. She has very serious competition this time. Have we not heard enough spin and lies from Little Debbie?

Amazingoly on January 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Virginia Shanahan on January 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM

There was a time when women in influential places didn’t feel the need to put cosmetic surgeons’ children through college.

Consider the motivations behind political questions from such a soul.

Then consider how it is that we as a culture have come to regard such persons so highly and to allow them access to such positions of influence and to regard those running for political office in such low esteem.

Cleombrotus on January 8, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Clearly, having nothing else, the dems are going back to the old standby “Bush did it”. And I can tell you with dopey dems like my sister, it is working.

ctmom on January 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM

C’mon, you’re just making that up.

BobMbx on January 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Ed, if John Sununu really knew what commentators said on Hot Gas, he would have said it sounds like The Daily Kos.

WhatNot on January 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Didn’t watch the debate, but from some of the comments,..

I see alot of dem spoilers slipped in with the last registration.. stay home, stay home,… the end is near, God hates us…

really?

I think more than a few are here now simply to discourage as many conservative voters as possible. The perfect isn’t possible, so lets all cry and go home?

uh huh,…

well I’m voting, I’m jazzing as many folks as I can to vote, and it’s going to be for whoever wins the nod. If you’re so shallow as to stay home,.. don’t cry if you hate the result.

mark81150 on January 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM

She’d make a really good press secretary for Obama.

JellyToast on January 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM

The question as I see it is does she think the folks are that stupid or is she.

jeanie on January 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM

stukinIL4now on January 8, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Word. Apparently this debate is, in fact, on Sunday morning. Wonder how many GOP voters they really think they’re going to get in the viewing audience. If the Protestants aren’t in church in a time zone, the Catholics are, and vice versa.

J.E. Dyer on January 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Meanwhile no one is disputing anything DWS said…talk show party…all talk little on specifics or facts.

residentblue on January 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM

residentblue

I think we just said she lied in her clip. By lying, I mean everything she said. Pretty simple.

Sherman1864 on January 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM

What Wasserman-Schultz showing up at the debate spin room shows is that despite controlling the White House and Senate that Democrats do not have a positive vision to solving our current problems. Their entire ideology is based in opposing conservatism, not offering actual solutions.

Understand this: The Democratic existence, at least with this current crop of liberal leaders, completely relies on criticizing conservatives.

cpaulus on January 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Doughboy on January 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I agree with your analysis. He did handle himself very well last night.

Mirimichi on January 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Bambi on January 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Part of the administration’s “switching to drones” policy.

Mr_Magoo on January 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM