Gas prices set to spike next summer

posted at 4:00 pm on January 8, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

It’s never pleasant to be the bearer of bad news, but if you happen to own a vehicle and need to drive it to get around, you may want to set aside a few extra pennies for this summer. If Brad Tuttle is to be believed, prices at the pump are going to be heading in the wrong direction this year.

The priciest year ever for gasoline has just ended. In 2011, the average gallon sold for an all-time high of over $3.50, and the average household spent $4,155 gassing up their vehicles—also a record. And if you were hoping for relief at the pump in 2012, it looks like you’re out of luck.

At this time last year, the average gallon of gas sold for under $3.10. Prices never got cheaper than that, peaking at $3.96 in May, according to GasBuddy.

Right now, per AAA, the national average is about $3.32, or 22¢ more per gallon than a year ago at this time. If the price fluctuation patterns of 2012 follow the precedent set last year—and there’s good reason to believe they will—then drivers will easily be facing prices of over $4 for a gallon of regular, most likely by spring or summer.

This is bad news for two people who come to mind immediately. The first one is, well… you. Summer is the most popular time for vacations, and you’ll need to figure the increased cost of fuel into your budget. Plus, assuming you’re one of the people lucky enough to have a job, that comes out of your bottom line as well.

But the other person this bodes ill for is Barack Obama. Unemployment is the most often cited figure in terms of voter anger and a tendency to want to “throw the bums out.” But traditionally, prices at the pumps fuel voter discontent also. (Pun intended) You don’t want those prices climbing steadily upward just as the vast majority of American voters are beginning to pay closer attention to the race and thinking about how they’re going to vote.

There’s a bit of irony here, to be sure. You might think high gas prices could help out Obama, since it could tend to make more people think about hybrid or alternate technology vehicles. (Well… unless you’re already toasting marshmallows on the smoldering remains of your electric car.) It’s also true that we can’t entirely control the global balance of supply and demand when it comes to gasoline, but if Obama had spent a bit more time trying to enhance domestic production rather than hinder it, he might not have this problem next year.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That must be a conspiracy of the oil interest to get Barry.

galtani on January 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Wow something else that’s going to be Bush’s fault…

Or is this because of Racism?

Chip on January 8, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Wow something else that’s going to be Bush’s fault…

Or is this because of Racism?

Chip on January 8, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Yep, you got their talking points down pat. That’s all they got.

VegasRick on January 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Poor Barry.
He has to decide on the XL Pipeline in the next few months, just in time for gas prices to start climbing.
If he says no as prices go to $4 there will be outrage.
If he says yes the treehuggers go crazy.

The GOP needs to relentlessly remind voters what BO/Energy Dept/Transportation Sec. have said about gas prices. They don’t care if gas goes to $7, don’t mind if gas prices go up gradually, want prices similar to those in Europe, want more people using other transportation. Sorry I don’t have exact quotes.

Obama only cares what gas costs up until election day. After he is safely reelected he won’t care if we pay $10 a gallon.

bailey24 on January 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Nothing moves in this country without diesel fuel. It fuels that trucks that bring you your groceries, your clothes, even your gasoline. It fuels the trains that haul freight.

In other words, it is the blood of our economy – much more so than gasoline, because we can decide not to drive if we want to. Increases in diesel fuel will be passed on to us in the form of higher prices for everything that we buy whenever possible. Sometimes, it is not possible and that means that the higher prices come off the bottom line of transportation companies. That is not good either.

Sarah Palin is exactly correct. Drill here, drill now. Energy independence is ultimately a national security issue.

turfmann on January 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

But…but…butt…If we just tax the oil companies exorbitant profits, it will fix everything! JugEars doesn’t think it will affect me at the pump, or at the grocery store or ANYWHERE ELSE!
No company will pass the cost onto me, because they don’t want to make any profit, and they want to lay off more workers, so they can stay in business…and help Nancy Pelosi best stimulate the economy by giving the people an unemployment check…THAT’S HOW IT ALL WORKS DON’T CHA KNOW!
That extra 40 bucks a month I will get every month, that will not go to social security is turning the economy around too! JUST WAIT!

KOOLAID2 on January 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM

As much as this is going to cost the American people this summer, distasteful as it might be, a great insurance policy to insure Imam Obama’s defeat in Nov.If the chicken liver R’s use it to their advantage.

jeffinsjvca on January 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM

MidniteRambler on January 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

If we ‘resist we much’ can break out the nutritional values, let’s bring back the signage at the pump showing who is making the big dollars.

Hmmm, those evil rich oil barons…

Maybe some new dinosaurs. After all, it isn’t like oil is naturally occurring despite all efforts to warn us of the ‘finite’.

mickytx on January 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Hmmm, those evil rich oil barons…

mickytx on January 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Don’t know where to start.

Oil IS naturally occuring. (WE didn’t make it, at least not for another 500 mil years or so). Where the money goes? You mean like Calpers? what????

Yes, please, let us explain at the pump, why it will be 4.00 a gallon, real soon.

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Sgt. Which party is most responsible for those expenses?

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Do you mean political party?

The answer to that question quite frankly I don’t know as I can’t pinpoint exactly who created the VA vehicle safety inspection system, but I could suspect it might be the local Democrat party. The small side benefit of it is that our cars here are GENERALLY safer and as a result our vehicle insurance rates much lower.

Also there was a slight typo, as it should have read $600 period full stop of my own money. The remaining $400ish was in emergency repairs and that was partially assisted by my friends and family. And I’m not counting the large amount of lost wages and tips (nearly $300 in tips alone during one of our busiest 3 day periods of the last calendar year)

The expense of gasoline is tied into a variety of factors including (but not limited to)

ethanol and other “clean fuels” and the market distortion of subsidies
Federal State and Local gasoline taxes
Federal State and Local legislation and regulation on energy exploration and air quality standards

I am well aware of the political party primarily responsible for our lack of domestic supply/production but I was simply commenting on the (in my opinion) foolish desire by some in here for what would amount to an economic calamity to myself and many thousands of other fellow Americans simply to assure that President Obama loses the election.

But I draw the line at cheer-leading for economic hardship purely for political gain.

I’m all for kicking out Obama in 10 months. When I lived in MD I attended the Tea Party rally on the Capital and a townhall for my then local Representative Steny Hoyer. Heck I moved to VA in part due to the MD “millionaire tax” increase which pretty much killed any possibility of a decent job in the area I live.

SgtSVJones on January 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Bunsin2 on January 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM

THIS is why I come to HotAir.

Cleombrotus on January 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Bunsin2 on January 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Nothing guarantees an obama loss. He has a huge network of money launderer, specialists in every kind of vote, voter, campaign fraud, and George Soros is working every Sec of State that his money can buy.
He won’t be going quietly. Remember the Clinton’s and their minions trashing the White House, Air Force One, etc on their way out? Obama’s handlers and the media will see to it that he does not leave office.

By ‘whatever means necessary’……….he’s entitled

Steelguitarczarina on January 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

SgtSVJones on January 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM

SgtJones

I have a feeling you and I agree on more than 90%.

However, the gov’t didn’t mandate safer cars. That was the Japanese and Germans trying to cut into our market. Noone ever mandated antilock brakes.

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

You, having been in the military, surely understands the competitive disadvantage of not fighting fire with fire.

“never let a good crisis go to waste”

The only difference is we believe in freedom. (individual, that is)

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

This would DOOM Obama… For once he is going to have to do something about gas prices…

wildcat72 on January 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM

au contraire… he will tie the evil oil companies to the Republicans, just like he did with Wall Street. The media will play along, a new movement will start called OBO (Occupy Big Oil) and San Fran Nan will cry “God Bless Them.”

redridinghood on January 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

SgtSVJones on January 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Yeah, Maryland has gone to s–t. Hope you’re not in the Fairfax County area, its just as bad now. I dread having to go up that way anymore.

Bmore on January 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM

probably racism at work

Aggie95 on January 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

“never let a good crisis go to waste”

The only difference is we believe in freedom. (individual, that is)

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Never served actively. For more info on me & my screen name see http://hotair.com/archives/2011/12/18/bradley-manning-has-gender-issues/comment-page-2/#comment-5194353

And again I have no problem with dishing out as well as you get it. What I have an issue with let me say this again very slowly is-

You
wishing
hardship
on
others
who
have
NOTHING
to
do
with
President
O-Jackass

Yes I KNOW gas prices will rise. And I’m relatively CERTAIN President Obama will lose.

You (and/or others on here) actively hoping that the prices experience MASSIVE inflation (someone posted to the tune of $5+ per gallon) simply to assure Obama’s defeat is what causes me such consternation.

It’s like the idiots on the left who squealed with glee every time another serviceman (including a friend of mine) returned from theater early in a casket.

SgtSVJones on January 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I guess y’all didn’t read the part about how it would be worse for you.

cozmo on January 8, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Not sure about “They Lie’s” motive, but I know how I earn a living. I make a lot of paycheck at $2.50/gal and I know at anything higher I’d do better – It would also make O look like a bumbler in more ways than one. That is a bonus. Worse for my gasoline budget – yeah, but my greedy pocket – no.

ericdijon on January 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Bmore on January 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I live in Southwestern VA in the town I attended college at, well far away from liberal infested NoVA (Northern Virginia).

SgtSVJones on January 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

chemman on January 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

You know a little something, but you don’t know what you’re talking about and you can’t prove what you hypothesized with regard to oil and gasoline relationships. You would win a Nobel if you could. Prove yourself correct and go to Sweden.

ericdijon on January 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Bunsin2 on January 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Thoroughly enjoy your comments.

Your knew hear, write?

Welcome! A welcome addition to HA wit.

petefrt on January 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM

SgtSVJones on January 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Good deal, we stop off in a small town down your way, Radford. Nice part of Va that whole area.

Bmore on January 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM

SgtSVJones on January 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

SgtJones. Control your vitriol. It wasn’t our policies that made these prices rise. It was by design of the O. We just want to see the blame fall at the right feet. And not let O’bozo squirm out of this by declaring war on Iran or depleting our strategic reserves.

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I don’t see vitriol in his post. He certainly makes a valid point. But I agree with you, gas prices are going to go through the roof. The only question is whether it’s before or after the election. And whether Barry can suppress them until after the November elections. Because after that, we all know what happens. Energy prices will ‘skyrocket’.

petefrt on January 8, 2012 at 7:57 PM

After the “nudge” comes the “shove”.

After the “shove” comes……………

Question: IF the R’s gain control of the Senate, Congress and White House……..will they UNDO all of this?

Not just Obamacare, but every single item this America hating administration has shoved down our throats?

Will we ever see gas below $2/gal again?

Talon on January 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Thoroughly enjoy your comments.

Your knew hear, write?

Welcome! A welcome addition to HA wit.

petefrt on January 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I’ve been lurking around since near the begining (well about a month after the launch), but now have more time to actually pontificate with the rest of you.

Bunsin2 on January 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM

petefrt on January 8, 2012 at 7:57 PM

The minute you say anything many of us write here is like enjoying seeing dead servicemen come home, THAT is BILE

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Bunsin2 on January 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Good! And again, welcome. I’ve been here since the launch too, for whatever that’s worth. Keep on posting with such quality of wit, and you’ll probably end up in the HA Green Room.

petefrt on January 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Hey, partner, if I’ve overlooked something, show me. The last thing I want is to be disrespectful of the people who keep us safe, our servicemen.

petefrt on January 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM

SgtSVJones on January 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

and again.

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Oh, took me awhile, but now I see.

Troll.

Silly me even to reply. Too much cheap red wine, probably.

petefrt on January 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I mean, really, this deserves scrutiny. Scrutiny and ridicule. As best I recall, this comment has no relation to the reality of anything I’ve posted. Does this guy live on Pluto?

Or is he just another troll?

petefrt on January 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Gas prices set to spike next summer

Rove, you magnificent bastard…

Bruno Strozek on January 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM

petefrt on January 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM

My apologies. The router at this hotel rots.

I am an FNG. I still do not fully understand this “troll” think, though I think I may have jousted a few.

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Teh One will say:
(I’ll leave out the uhs and whatnots).
You should check your bicycle tire pressure.

You also left out using the term “folks”.

Soetoro’s statement will come out like this:

“Uh, folks have to, uh, check their tire pressure, uh, and get tune-ups on their, uh, bikes. And, uh, folks need to look into the Chevy, uh Volt, which will get really good, uh, mileage for folks.”

MidniteRambler on January 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM

If Soetoro gets another four years in office he will simply continue ruling by executive fiat, Constitution be damned.

The go-along-to-get-along GOP elites in the House and Senate will meekly protest while the MSM cheers wildly as Soetoro emulates Hugo Chavez.

This is why I will hold my nose and vote for Mittens if that is what needs to be done to stop Soetoro.

MidniteRambler on January 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Expect several dumps from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve next year. Barry will come up with an excuse.

reddevil on January 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

We can’t predict the weather 2 days in advance, or the price of gold but they seem to be able to tell us that the cost of gas will be skyrocketing by summer. Amazing.

Kissmygrits on January 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM

As long as Americans refuse to drill or oil, then prices will go up.

The greater problem is that America is losing its independence and is beholden to unfriendly countries.

Now that the Keystone pipeline is on hold, Canada is moving ahead with an oil pipeline and a natural gas pipeline to its port at Kitimat B.C. with the intention of exporting these products to China.

It is apparent the US is becoming a non-player.

Sparky5253 on January 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Time to break out the post-it notes again. Remeber to write some in Espanol.

Pecos on January 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM

you may want to set aside a few extra pennies for this summer.

LOL…gonna be a little more than that.

This stuff would happen regardless of who’s president (though the One certainly is acting to make it even worse). These oil drillers are going to put the stuff on the open market, and that includes foreign buyers. Even though we’re using less petroleum, doesn’t mean that China and other places are in the same boat. Plus, they could buy up the stuff and hoard it, one reason being just to drive up prices.

The only way around this (kinda) is to force oil companies to develop more American sources of oil (possibly at a loss to them causing the need for subsidies or see even higher consumer prices) and to only sell it here. But, that would be Socialism. At any rate, it could be getting to the point where it’s not so much the price, but just having enough of the stuff at all.

And, as always, remember we need petroleum for many more thing than just fuel.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM

From ThinkProgress:

Neo says: January 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm

It’s nice to see a Progressive web site acknowledge that under Barack Obama that American families now pay the highest average annual gasoline price ever.

Keep up the good work.

J_Crater on January 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Bmore on January 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Where you AT, Hon?

Laura in Maryland on January 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

AND, if these new EPA regs end up driving up the cost of electricity, as well, causing blackouts/looting/rioting every few weeks, which some think they might, it ought to be a jolly summer for Obummer.

Imagine the inflationary pressure of spiking gas prices and electricity costs. Obama’s “beloved” middle class isn’t going to like it at all. And your fixed income seniors are REALLY going to hate it.

Obama will then pass a stupid “Yearly Energy Adjustment Rebate Gift” (the YEARG! Act) which he and the MSM will claim will fix everything that’s wrong with the price of energy, if only we raise taxes on the most wealthy by 25%–their “fair share.” The GOP will oppose it, and Obama will say that the Republicans stand for high energy costs and with Big Oil, and against the middle class. I called it. Hopefully the American people will recognize this move from its previous iterations and will call foul.

But by then Iraq ought to be a cauldron, and new American troops will be urgently needed. Nay, I fear Teh One will find his terrible choices will fatally wound him in the end, no matter how he twists and turns.

smellthecoffee on January 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM

But…but the POS is so disconnected from the mass of asses who thought….”Obama..he gonna pay my rent…Obama…he gonna buy my gas….Obama…he’s going to bankrupt me…”

But…they’ll never get the picture that Don Obama wants….for you to be poor….ignorant and dependent on him.

Hey…you can get out of this easily…$40K…for a VOLT.

Twana on January 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM

In other news, as prices of gas goes up ( also affecting everything else like umm food and stuff ) hardly anyone is getting a job, nor those of us ( like myself ) do not get raises!
So… its a win win for Obama. He gets to have his dream of energy prices spiking and also gets to keep the poor people even more poor and voting Democrat because of empty promises!

Unicorns and Skittles for everyone!

watertown on January 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Only because they are and always will be…..the silliest, most stupid, most ignorant…..and most racist POS on the planet.

After 50 years….they still can’t add.

Twana on January 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I hate to pay more at the pump, but if it helps usher Bowbama out the door, so be it. I’ll work from home a day or two a week to ease the pain. That is, if I still have a job.

Philly on January 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM

After 50 years….they still can’t add.

Twana on January 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

This is because of our awesome public school system! I mean, which would be more important:

-Teaching kids that being gay is okay?

-Teaching kids math and science?

I bet you have a good idea what is more important now a days!

watertown on January 8, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Philly on January 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Not many have that luxury like you do. I thankfully have a job that is a total of 36 miles round trip with low traffic. So I only have to pay ( now ) 28 or so dollars a week for gas. Of course this is not factoring how much more everything else cost because the price of fuel has been passed on to the consumer. I am really more poor now than I was 3 years ago, and to me that is going backwards.

watertown on January 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM

The Obama administration wants higher gas prices.

john.frank on January 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Obama has purposefully raised gas prices. He specifically stated he wanted energy prices to skyrocket and the naive libs were fine with it. I am not kidding. High gas prices are a tax increase on all Americans because it raises the cost of EVERYTHING. Look for Obama to put the country in danger again by releasing strategic petroleum reserves again closer to election time and pressuring the sheikhs to raise production several months beforehand. His religion of human caused global warming will strike with vengeance if he wins re-election and fuel prices will go crazy.

scotash on January 9, 2012 at 3:44 AM

petefrt on January 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM

WryTrvllr on January 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I am not a troll, and I was pissed.

My conduct was rude and uncalled for. After working all night and closing I’ve had time to reflect. I should think, THEN type.

My apologies to you both and the rest of the readers who had to endure my nonsensical rants.

SgtSVJones on January 9, 2012 at 5:05 AM

turfmann on January 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

THIS!!

Until Diesel fuel returns to less than $2.50/gal (like B4 Zero took office), absolutely nothing will get better. (Speaking as the wife of an independent trucker.)

DRILL HERE – DRILL NOW!!

Sue Doenim on January 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM

SgtSVJones on January 9, 2012 at 5:05 AM

Thanks. Yer a good strong man to be able to say that.

petefrt on January 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Thanks. Yer a good strong man to be able to say that.

petefrt on January 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I’m still peeved for the original reasons I stated, I just shouldn’t have used the words I did.

P.S. Haven’t slept yet ;)

SgtSVJones on January 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM

The delicious irony is that high gas prices are going to bite the Dem’s in the butt, after they spent a year demagoguing the high gas prices faced during Katrina (which were still on average far lower than our ‘regular’ gas prices now).

blindside on January 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM