Casino mogul dumps $5M in Gingrich super PAC

posted at 2:30 pm on January 8, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Coming out of Iowa, former Speaker Newt Gingrich was hopping mad about Mitt Romney’s campaign and advertisements being run by a Super PAC supporting the “timid Massachusetts moderate.” In fact, so incensed was he that he unleashed his lawyer on the PAC this past week. In both interviews and debate comments, he has referred to the ads as “garbage” and said that Romney should be embarrassed to show them to his grandchildren.

With that in mind, it will be interesting to see how Newt reacts to this news.

Billionaire Adelson gives millions to Gingrich Super PAC

Casino mogul Sheldon Adelson has given $5 million to an independent committee supporting GOP presidential aspirant Newt Gingrich, the first of what is expected to be many millions the Las Vegas billionaire plans to spend this election year.

The check from Adelson is the latest in an avalanche of campaign cash flooding the presidential season to independent groups known as Super PACs The check was cut on Friday to Winning Our Future, a group run by former Gingrich associates, according to two people close to the donor.

A person close to Adelson said that the billionaire planned to spend at least another $5 million during the campaign — either to the Gingrich-linked group or to the winner of the Republican nomination for president — and that the initial check was intended to keep Gingrich competitive in the Jan. 21 South Carolina primary.

Awkward.

Some of Newt’s previous comments may come back to haunt him here. He has come out and, at a minimum, at least heavily implied that Romney was in some way involved in his Super PAC’s products, since it’s run by friends and former staffers. Romney, of course, insists that it would be illegal to do so and he “hasn’t even seen” some of the clips.

Now, if others follow Adelson’s lead, a Gingrich Super PAC is going to have to do something with all of that money, and it’s probably going to go into major media buys in South Carolina and Florida hammering Romney as hard as they possibly can. He’ll also realize – assuming he somehow doesn’t know it already – that he really can’t control what the PACs do. If some of the ads are really nasty, will he rush out to disavow his own PAC supporters and call for their ads to come down?

I see a lot of media types talking about Super PAC activities not being coordinated with the campaigns and doing so with a wink and a nod. As in, “Oh suuuure they’re not coordinating.” I find this annoying. I’ve only had one direct experience involving a Super PAC, and that one was Karl Rove’s outfit, American Crossroads. They jumped in to our congressional race in 2010 during the final two months and unleashed a major set of ad buys across the district. Care to guess when my candidate and I found out about it?

We read about it in the Wall Street Journal the same day everyone else found out. A reporter in our district knew about it before I did and I was the Director of Communications. Nobody from American Crossroads every contacted us and we never saw the ads until they showed up on TV. Why? I’m guessing because nobody wanted to go to jail.

Just something to ponder while we wait for the Gingrich supporters to unleash the hounds. And that should be happening in roughly 3… 2…

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Newt Gingrich, bought and paid for. Fine conservative he is, allowing himself to be owned by special interests. You people supporting him should be ashamed of yourselves, you’ve betrayed all that America was founded on.

libertarianlunatic on January 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

‎~ Newt Gingrich , 2010 ~ … “Rick Perry, Texas governor for the past decade, is uniquely qualified to offer a firsthand perspective on why the United States — the most successful civilization in human history — is being threatened with economic collapse.”
~ direct quote by Newt Gingrich from the forward written by Newt Gingrich .. . for the book “FED UP “

nancysabet on January 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM

libertarianlunatic on January 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I’ll applaud you on your honesty to be true to your moniker.

Czar of Defenestration on January 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Its amazing what a little cash can doooooooooooooooo

The heat in the kitchen is getting hot….whew!!!

Here is some more interesting MCRomney: Out today:

Mitt Romney avoids U.S tax by using Offshore bank accounts

Goldman’s switch

Honchos back Mitt over Bam

May the vetting go on…..and the BEST candidate win…PERIOD!!
If for one….do NOT want to be force fed a candidate.

coach1228 on January 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM

why would Newt preface his comment during the debate when referencing this as yet unreleased super PAC infomercial “I can say publicly…” and then go on to cite a half dozen news sources cited in the movie?

seems Mr Newt’s got some ‘splainin to do IMO

gatorboy on January 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM

seems Mr Newt’s got some ‘splainin to do IMO

gatorboy on January 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM

No better reason that McRomney said at the end of the debate yesteday that “he didn’t know what’s in those Super PAC ads” then go onto listing 4 things that were in them…..

Seems like your hypocracy is one way…..
Feein the heat now aren’t ya??
Let keep vetting…it’s all good right??
Mitt Romney avoids U.S tax by using Offshore bank accounts

coach1228 on January 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I have been a bit indifferent. I’ve wanted Jeb, Ryan, or Rubio to run. I was interested in Gingrich, but he now reminds me of nothing so much as a kamikaze pilot. He seems to have lost any desire to win and instead is focused entirely on sinking Romney. If anything, Gingrich has proven to me he is not the right person to represent this party. We don’t need an Occupy Wall Street movement within the GOP. We don’t represent the 1% or the 99% and I am shocked to see a man I thought was a capitalist put vengeance ahead of ideology. Even worse, it is sickening to watch someone who is supposed to be on my side doing Obama’s work for him. I took myself off of Gingrich’s email list last night. I’m done with him. The only non-Romney candidate (that is those actually IN the race) I can stomach is Rick Santorum. He either needs to overachieve, thus giving us an alternative, or we need to rally around Mitt. By the month, I’m thinking our choices will be: Romney, Paul, and maybe one other. I pray it’s not Newt as he simply cannot be the nominee. He has completely disqualified himself in my mind. I’ve bought his books and followed him for years, but I am done with Newt the anti-capitalist.

diplomatsteve on January 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Diplomatsteve
I applaud you for your intellectual integrity. You are right to abandon Newt for his stooping to attack Romney for being a free market capitalist. If this does not open other peoples eyes to the fact that Newt is not a worthy person to represent the conservative cause nothing will.

jibjab75 on January 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM

THINGS ARE TIGHNING UP…..
JUST OUT…

Suffolk/7News Tracking

1/7 – 1/8

MITT 33
PAUL 20
HUNTSMAN 13
GINGRICH 11
SANTORUM 10
PERRY 1

MITT WILL WIN NH…

QUESTION: WILL HIS NUMBER DIP BELOW 30% TOMORROW?
BEING THAT HE WAS AT 43% JUST A DAY AFTER IOWA(A WEEK AGO)…LOSING 10 POINTS IN ONE WEEK IS NOT A GOOD TREND….IS IT A COLLAPSE THAT’S OCCURING??

coach1228 on January 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM

jibjab75 on January 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM

OK…With that premiss….how do Indy’s and Moderates feel about Bain?
I bet…not too good….and thus why it needs to be Vetted.

Stop whinning….and sounding off that Conservatives won’t “open thier eyes”. Mitt Romney is no conservative….so let’s get that straight……..let the Vetting process continue.

coach1228 on January 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM

“awkward”? More like “awesome” if he uses it to take Romney out.

besser tot als rot on January 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM

How is this any different than the pro-Mitt SuperPAC that throws dirt on all comers? Awkward? Why does it make a difference if the guy is a casino magnate? I thought business was business, right? What it’s anti-capitalist to bring up Bain the company butchers and but it’s not anti-capitalist to whine about a casino owner participating in the process?

By the way these ridiculous rules in which the SuperPacs can spend any amount in attacks that candidates can disown is a direct byproduct of “the Maverick” and his dumb campaign finance reform law.

A much better way would be to make contributions to candidate campaigns unlimited but require full disclosure. I’d rather have this guy give $5 million to Newt’s campaign where Newt can’t honestly claim he didn’t coordinate the communications.

eaglephin on January 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I wish this picture were not at the top of the screen whenever I load Hot Air. It seriously creeps me out.

athenanyc on January 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Todd Palin Endorses Newt Gingrich

coach1228 on January 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Romney supporters: Romney was a successful investment banker at Bain, so he must be a free market conservative.

This conclusion relies on the following facts:

(1) Romney was an investment banker (true); and
(2) Successful investment bankers are free market conservatives (false – see Buffett and Soros).

*that said – I don’t like the attacks on Romney for being an investment banker and doing what investment bankers do (i.e. use the free market, if he is not using the free market, such as by taking govt funds, then attack him forthat).

besser tot als rot on January 9, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Todd Palin Endorses Newt Gingrich

coach1228 on January 9, 2012 at 12:58 P

yeah, like who cares anyways…it’s not like he’s got some brains or so…

jimver on January 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM

awkward”? More like “awesome” if he uses it to take Romney out.

besser tot als rot on January 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM

that moronic whiner and hypocrite-in-chief Gingrich will win nothing, but his right to shut up, once and forever, after the New Hampshire primaries…nobody wants to hear this crypto-marxist and his boring whining machine…

jimver on January 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Somehow that makes it funnier….

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on January 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I definitely need to post later in the day…

Huntsman 2012!