Romney gets a thousand cheers and one heckler in Derry

posted at 12:15 pm on January 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I’m in Manchester, New Hampshire for the next few days, covering the next stop in the Republican primary process. After arriving late last night, I got up early this morning to travel to Derry, where Mitt Romney had a rally scheduled at Pinkerton Academy at 8:20 this morning. Pinkerton is in Derry, a picturesque town that doesn’t quite resemble a suburb, but isn’t really that rural, either. It’s best described as quaint in the most complimentary meaning of the term.  It mainly features small, stand-alone shops, but at the moment, I’m writing this post from a café called The Coffee House in one of the few strip malls I’ve seen, which has live music from a harpist and cellist.

The event itself was well-attended, especially for the quiet area in which it was held and the time of day.  I guessed that Romney had attracted about 300 people, but I was pretty far off; the campaign later said that the estimate from the Derry PD was 1,020, and the fire marshal told the local media that the hard count at the front door was 930.  On the way in, though, the attendees got to hear from Ron Paul supporters, who have made a habit of demonstrating outside of Romney events in New Hampshire.  There weren’t too many of them, though, only about a dozen.  The one here in the foreground has a sign that says, “The doctor will free you now,” and they called out to people to “Say yes to Dr. No!”

Not everyone who attended was committed to Romney.  I didn’t mix much with the crowd, but I spoke to a couple of reporters later who were having trouble finding solid Romney backers to interview.  I saw a lot of stickers and buttons, however, and the crowd seemed very enthusiastic for Romney and his surrogates, Senator Kelly Ayotte and South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, both of whom spoke at the rally.  One man in particular was not at all a fan of Romney — an Occupy heckler who tried to disrupt the event.  Fortunately, I was in perfect position to capture the exchange, such as it was:

Hey, if he’s the only protester, doesn’t that make him the 0.1% in a crowd of a thousand?

Romney wasn’t thrown by this at all.  He waited for the crowd to drown out the protester, and then reminded people how fortunate we are to live in a country where dissent is not stifled, although he wished it had been presented with “respect and civility.”  I was a little surprised that there was only one outburst; I expected another, but it never came.  The Derry police showed a great deal of restraint in this case, standing by the man to let him have his say, and then escorting him out when the moment was over … even if the Occupier hadn’t quite figured that out.

Otherwise, the speeches were standard campaign fare, but clearly Romney wants to stick to the economy and encroaching federal regulation as the basis of his campaign against Obama.  Haley and Ayotte never strayed far from those themes, either, and Haley emphasized them when she told the crowd that her biggest headache as Governor doesn’t come from the state itself, but interference from Washington DC.  Both were effective, but Haley showed that she can charm a crowd.  Eventually, we might see Haley headlining presidential primary events.  Romney stuck with economic arguments almost completely, in the last few minutes changed to more of an inspirational call to patriotism and duty by quoting from “America the Beautiful.”  He then stuck around for about a half hour to shake hands and talk with people before going into another room to do a couple of media interviews.

I’m posting the Haley and Ayotte speeches in their entirety, and Romney’s conclusion to his speech below, but this post would not be complete without mentioning that another candidate dropped by the auditorium after Romney left.  I think I’ve found Jazz Shaw’s dream presidential candidate:

This is what makes covering American politics fun.  A local police officer told me the boot is on his head because Mr. Supreme wants to give politicians the boot.  He had no idea what the half-dozen ties meant, and Mr. Supreme didn’t explain it during his brief but memorable appearance.

Here are the three videos.  Enjoy. I’ll be at a Santorum event later and will have video and more observations later today.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Wow, MJB. What a transformation. From a dKos reject who proudly proclaimed that he hated every single HA poster to an All-American guy. What happened?

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Obama happened.

msupertas on January 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Anyone who says anything bad about Santorum and his baby is a tool. Anyone who wants to talk about Romney and his dog must be a PETA supporter.

What exactly is the point of your post?

gotsig on January 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I don’t care about Romney’s dog. I saw comments from Romney supporters about Santorum’s “weirdness”. But yet it’s everyone but Romney supporters who are “rabid”. I’ve seen I don’t know how many “smeary” remarks from Romney supporters toward other candidates on things other than policy. I haven’t criticized Romney much on things other than his ideology and his policy positions. Nor have many so-called “rabid Palinistas”.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM

That explains your name.

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

It’s my nom. From this and your next comment you don’t understand…a lot.

It’s ok though. I grant you all the rights to be/do/say whatever pleases you.

Again, you overestimate yourself. Best to you and enjoy.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I don’t envy the Democrats their choice but I think they would be offended at my attitude. So that makes it sadder still.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Reagan isn’t running this time.

If he was, he would be berated as a RINO left coaster who, as Governor, increased state spending, raised taxes, and entered a number of public-private partnership arrangements which blur the line between government and business. As President, he ran up deficits and spending, and put a trade quota on Japanese cars (restricting the total number, which led them to stop sending so many cheap little cars so they could build more profit into each, which killed GM and Chrysler with direct competition).

Face it, we haven’t had a more conservative nominee than McCain since. You are wishing for someone who is not there.

Adjoran on January 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I’d be more than happy to let them go to the devil in their own way.

The real problem with Atlas Shrugged fantasies — you know, the actual deal breaker — is that one needs a valley in the Rockies to go to.

I can believe “they” would reduce Detroit to an Athens ghetto, and America to Detroit. I can believe I will do fine without them. But finding a Shangri-La in Colorado to mark time in is a bridge too far, even on cold medicine.

I feel like I am on the brink of a chalk cliff; there is nowhere to escape to — only back.

… unrelated, planning for the worst contingencies, I am taking a second look at the practical efficacy of insanity, and possibly alcoholism and/or pharmaceutical abuse.

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Reagan isn’t running this time.

Adjoran on January 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Wrong. If he was running this time he’d be berated as a polarizing, unelectable, far-right John Bircher-type, the stuff of late-night comedy, an intellectually-lacking washed up old actor and we’d be told that we should get behind a more electable moderate like George H. W. Bush or Gerald Ford.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Reagan isn’t running this time.

Adjoran on January 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM

And at this point he was polling 20 pts. behind Jimmah. Man, today’s true conservatives would have been calling him a commie pinko libtard who’s gonna lose to Carter in a landslide.

Rational Thought on January 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Romney gets a thousand cheers and one heckler in Derry

The 99.9%?

:) Would love to know how long that was in the cabinet.

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Rational Thought on January 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

And you, like many moderates were doing at the time, would’ve been screaming that he’s unelectable based on exactly those numbers.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Rational Thought on January 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

And by the way, that’s dead wrong. It was the “true conservatives” who were Reagan’s base and who stuck with him even after being told that a Bush or a Ford or a Dole were more “electable”.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I’ll be glad when we have our nominee. Then I’m throwing a party election night to celebrate the rebirth of freedom in America.

JellyToast on January 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Rational Thought on January 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

That’s just silly, the party regulars, including Goldwater rallied around Gerald Ford in 1976 and Bush 1980 and have been trying to dismantle his influence since. No one today would be calling Reagan a RINO because the times and the situations are not the same. I consider that argument a cheap trick to coerce obedience of the unenlightened and really surprised to see it coming from you.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM

JellyToast on January 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM

And we will enjoy celebrating with you.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Vocabulary lesson: “True” Conservatives = Reagan Conservatives.

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I see it less as a “cheap trick” than as the inability of Romney fans to see that they’re the analogues of poll-worshiping Ford fans in ’76 and Bush fans in ’80. It’s “revisionism”.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Really? I was under the impression it meant “To stupid not to immediately recognize the true awesomeness of Gov. Romney”. Comply immediately.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM

LOL. Just around here, lately.

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM

JellyToast on January 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Months back I said without doubt that Mitt would be the next POTUS. Iowa sealed the deal. If he wins SC he could very well run the table. SC will simply decide how soon he wraps up on the nomination. I’m hoping he wins it early. Today’s polling numbers are heartening. That will give the party more time to rally around him and the sooner he and we can concentrate all of our fire on PBHO the better.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Really? I was under the impression it meant “To Too stupid not to immediately recognize the true awesomeness of Gov. Romney”.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM

lol … you’re over there running a little hot, ain’t ya?

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Months back I said without doubt that Mitt would be the next POTUS.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

LOL…

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Iowa shouldn’t be very heartening for Mitt fans. As Michael Walsh pointed out, a guy who 3 weeks ago was at about 4% racketed to second place in Iowa. That shows that there are boatloads o’ folks who do not want Romney.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Maybe a touch. People seem to forget that while there may be a correlation to Carter’s and Obama’s economic situation, Obama doesn’t have the hostage crisis and the failed rescue. How would Obama fair if there were yellow ribbons tied around every tree and the nightly news discussing DAY (fill in the blank)of Americans being held in Iran?

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

* rocketed, not racketed…LOL

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7,2012,4:02

I know that is waaay back but Romney was bragging about it last week at an Iowa townhall meeting.

evergreenland on January 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM

evergreenland on January 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM

What an odd thing to brag about, I think I’ll need some context. What was it suppose to signify?

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Mitt Romney’s New Hampshire ad in the final stretch.

I like the tone of the ad.

haner on January 7, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Pointless O/T

failed rescue

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I was a kid. I actually wrote Carter as he was getting roasted and thanked him for trying. He wrote me back. Still have it.

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Months back I said without doubt that Mitt would be the next POTUS.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

And before that Perry. And before that Mitch Daniels. And, back in 2008? Here ya go. The quote’s not from Hot Air, but a place whose initials are dK:

The instant pop-analysis that Palin’s selection was a move to attract Hillary supporters is, as the CW typically is, wrong!
Palin was selected to appeal to flyover country.  Those blue collar working people who Obama has not reached but desperately needs to.  I’m referring to the bitter clingers, who hunt, fish and watch NASCAR.  Unless BO recognizes the true threat to his campaign that she poses and ignores the Hillary paranoia that seems to be a national obsession among progressives, he will get his metaphorical ass kicked in Nov.

by MJBrutus on Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 10:49:26 AM PDT

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM

* rocketed, not racketed…LOL

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

hmm . . .

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Reagan was a much better candidate in 1980 than he was in 1976. I was around for that 1976 primary season and it was ugly. You people who hate Romney are pikers compared to the Ford- and Rockefeller haters of that era. ;-)

rockmom on January 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Palin were to endorse Romney. I believe her goal has always been to defeat Obama, and it would lame to endorse one of the non-starters. It will be really pathetic if she makes noise like some of the posters here that she’s going to take her football and go home. Maybe after all is said and done, she can lead the new “true conservatives” only party- although some of you would still find fault with that choice.

BettyRuth on January 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Here’s the short item by Walsh.

The Mittbots might want to ask themselves this: if Romney is so great, why did Santorum — a guy who was barely a blip on the radar screen a couple of weeks ago — come out of nowhere to nearly nip him at the wire, while Mitt stayed stuck at . . . 25 percent?

As John Podhoretz put it yesterday:

The results last night make it clear that Romney is unquestionably the weakest party front-runner in contemporary political history, scoring fewer caucus votes in Iowa in 2012 than he received in 2008.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:11 PM

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I never predicted a Daniels or a Perry win. I wanted Daniels to run. I never predicted that he would or would win. And I was undecided about Perry or Romney. When Perry showed that he was out of his league that is when I made the prediction about Romney that you responded to. Your dumpster diving produced yet more garbage. As for 2008, that was 2008 and I nothing about that quote was off base.

It is you who cannot distinguish what you want to happen from what is likely to happen. It’s why you are always wrong. The reason that nobody ever looks in the archives for what you said in the past is because nobody on this earth gives a crap. This is a good example of why.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM

BettyRuth on January 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

What? I thought her goal was to make lot$ of ca$h from her sucker followers, as well as get a lot of face time on TV and stuff.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM

And BTW, there is nobody in this race who even remotely resembles Reagan. In fact, there isn’t one who resembles Jerry Ford or George H.W. Bush either. So I wish everyone would stop with comparing this race to either of the ones that Reagan ran.

rockmom on January 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM

But yet you just said you’ve been predicting for months that Romney would be the next Prez, and that for the first time in a forever you’re enthusiastic about a candidate.

Come on, you’re just a Romney supporter who didn’t have the guts to say so.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM

With me, they don’t have to search the archives. What you see, is what you get. If they want to know where I stand, there are 646 800-1,300 words blogs that they can read. I was a Reagan Conservative at 21 and I’m still one at 53.

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM

rockmom on January 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I want to make sure that it is known that I’m not a Romney hater, I just think there is a process for a reason and that belittling those who disagree is not really smart. Or maybe it it is, where else are Republicans going to go?

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM

rockmom on January 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I think Romney is similar to Bush Sr.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM

So tell me again who you support?

BettyRuth on January 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Come on, you’re just a Romney supporter who didn’t have the guts to say so.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Are you nuts? I haven’t had the guts to say so? I’ve been screaming my support for Mitt day in and day out. Oy vey, zeiss ich meshuganah!

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM

So tell me again who you support?

BettyRuth on January 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM

The most conservative who’s left on the ballot when my state votes.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Carter meant well, I have more problems with him now than I did back then. I was just trying to paint the picture of what was happening at the time. Compare it to the man who killed Bin Laden, Anwar al-Awlaki and pulled our troops out of Iraq. There are people that this will mean everything to.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Oh, get outta here. You’ve been “screaming” your support ever since there was an open registration which provided lots of backup from other Romney supporters. Most of what you’ve “screamed” about is what a joke Palin is, not much else.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

rockmom on January 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Works for me.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

The most conservative who’s left on the ballot when my state votes.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM

But you seem to have found fault with all the choices, and these are ALL our choices.

BettyRuth on January 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

BettyRuth on January 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

That maybe because there IS fault with all the choices, including those who didn’t run. But I like both Perry and Santorum. I doubt that Perry will be on the ballot when my state votes, though.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Well, you go to war with the army you have, and you go to win. I’m going with Romney.

BettyRuth on January 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

ddrintn

Amazing Marco Rubio will be campaigning with Romney in Florida and not many will have seen that coming either. A lots are not going to like seeing that.

Jindal will switch eventually, too, after Perry rides the Lonesome Trail back to Texas.

Horace on January 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

BettyRuth on January 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Heh. Good luck.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I really should scan the name of the poster before reading any of the rest to avoid wasting so much time.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I don’t know how to say this, but this isn’t “your” website. Romney supporters have just as much right to be here as any other candidate’s supporters. The fact is that there is going to be a diversity of opinion with an political party or within a political movement.

The most frustrating thing about the ridiculously long gap between open registrations was that it helped give the impression that conservatives were 100% behind Palin. There were actual alternative opinions back then, but a lot of us didn’t get to express it because we weren’t able to register.

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Horace on January 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Well, it does seem that the earlier-touted conservative superstars flocking to Romney are to this point mostly those who have benefited from Romney campaign largesse. It might be rude to point that out, but…

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Oy vey, zeiss ich meshuganah!

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Hey now! No strange … Jew type … incantations!

lol

At least not until the revolution comes.

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I don’t know how to say this, but this isn’t “your” website.

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I never claimed it was. Welcome to the new posters.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

What? LOL

idesign on January 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:23 PM

And BTW, I won a few bets here by calling her non-candidacy months ahead of her announcement. That was when you were humming Hail To The Chief every time she stepped off of her RV.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Ron Paul? Is that you Ron?

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Wait a second: Really? You mean even though about 90% of the Palin threads here were and are fairly snarky and negative, and even though the threads usually devolved into this group of Palin-deranged going after the allegedly tiny group of rabid Palinistas??? How could anyone ever think that Palin was universally loved and adored by those in her own party?

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

It’s pretty hilarious….

Even on a Romney thread it always comes back to Palin..:)

idesign on January 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

What? LOL

idesign on January 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

A few months ago this site was a daily slap fest between Palin supporters and the then few posters that didn’t like her. It was annoying that there was very little discussion outside of that and at least the open registration has tried to diversify things a little.

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Not everyone who attended was committed to Romney.

Ed Morrissey on Jan 7, 2012 12:15 PM

Real Talk Ed …if Mitt Romney is the Republican nominee you’re gonna see poorly attended rallies in support of him to know that he is the “establishment” candidate and NOT everyday working class conservatives

apocalypse on January 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Horace on January 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Could you please provide a link?

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

What? LOL

idesign on January 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I know. :) I’m not sure how anyone reading Hot Air would have gotten that impression, and I’m a ‘Nista.

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

It’s funny you would comment on both Palin and open registration; I have been posting at HotAir for years, but I got so disgusted with all the Palin food fights, and non stop Palin posts, that I took a six month or so break from posting, and somehow lost my ability to post, so I had to re-register last go round. I also took a new screen name and now that I’m posting about my support for Romney, some of the old timer’s, who in the past have been pretty polite, have really been nasty. It’s pretty amazing that they think their opinions matter more because they’ve been here longer.

BettyRuth on January 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Cindy we have something to tie us together.. forever. We both posted a message at 5:38 PM.

apocalypse on January 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Do a search and point mew out a few of my comments in which I said that Palin was definitely going to run and would definitely win. This is the usual tactic of the PDSers: attribute something to this or that Palin supporter that this or that person never said, or else take some off-the-wall comment from some Palin supporter and attriute it to EVERY Palin supporter. It’s called “basic dishonesty”. And uh, Bluray, it’s been happening for 3 years. I have a feeling that what was frustrating to you was that Palin actually has supporters.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Well now is the time for you to go full blown PDS….LOL

idesign on January 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

BettyRuth on January 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

It’s also funny in that I haven’t bothered with a Palin thread since a day or 2 after she quit (the race I mean, not the other time).

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I’m talking about “this” site. There was an annoying about of derangement on both sides of the Palin question. You’ve now been complaining in the past about how open reg has brought in these Romney and Paul supporters like getting a view into what the party and conservatives think is a bad thing.

I’d prefer to read better comments every day than just than:

Supporter of Candidate 1 to Supporter of Candidate 2: You Suck

Supporter of Candidate 2 to Supporter of Candidate 1: No you Suck.

And back and forth.

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Ron Paul? Is that you Ron?

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

lol … I didn’t write those Newsletters. I just … stamped them, and sometimes did a little typing. Or something.

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

The numbers were about equal. It’s just the we ‘nistas had the facts on our side. I know that’s frustrating to the Mittbot crew. LOL

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

apocalypse on January 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

LOL!

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

That is why shrewd conservatives like Nikki Haley are supporting Romney, we WANT to WIN. Wait until heads explode when Jim DeMint’s endorsement of Romney is next.

matthew8787 on January 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM

That will never hapen. Maybe in the general if Romney gets the nomination. DeMint has already said he would not endorse any one in the primary.

It’s time for conservative South Carolinians to start getting a candidate together to primary Nikki Haley, RINO.

they lie on January 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Well now is the time for you to go full blown PDS….LOL

idesign on January 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I’ve never had PDS, I actually just see her record as more populist than conservative (Romney’s MA record isn’t really conservative either). There are many people in the party who see it that way.

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I’m talking about THIS site as well, and I’m trying to think of instances of “derangement” from most Palin supporters. If you want to find examples of anti-Palin derangement, I suggest you look up that “Coulter says Palin unelectable” thread. That was the gold-standard in anti-Palin nastiness. And it had gone on for at least 2 1/2 years.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

No they weren’t.

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

People laughed when Gov. Palin said that Republicans shouldn’t marginalize the Ron Paul supporters. There are some, hopefully small in number, who think there is little difference between all the candidates but will like what The Won is doing with the military and the wars. It isn’t impossible that they would go to him.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I don’t care about what Coulter has said, I cared about having to read through 20 pages of posters of:

Palin is Reagan 2.0!!!

Palin sucks!!!

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Palin is Reagan 2.0!!!

Palin sucks!!!

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Sooner or later, the mask always drops.

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

idesign on January 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

In fact, you were the only person to welsh on our bet.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

No they weren’t.

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Palin is Reagan 2.0!!!

Palin sucks!!!

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

So why b1tch about people getting the impression that everyone loves Palin then?

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Sooner or later, the mask always drops.

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Way to selectively edit my comment, that would be derangement syndrome right there.

My comment was:

Palin is Reagan 2.0!!!

Palin sucks!!!

(And back and forth)

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Unless there’s some sort of miracle during the primaries and WHATever conservative candidate comes from behind or come out of the woodwork to win the nomination, Obama will be re-elected. I think the focus should be on minimizing losses in the House and in trying to take the Senate.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I See Palin as both a populist and a conservative. One her best qualities was that the she went after corruption in both parties. Another interesting tidbit is that while the left was salivating at the prospect of going through her 23,000 emails, Romney was spending tens of thousands of dollars destroying his.

idesign on January 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

People laughed when Gov. Palin said that Republicans shouldn’t marginalize the Ron Paul supporters. There are some, hopefully small in number, who think there is little difference between all the candidates but [...] [i]t isn’t impossible that they would go to him.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

That’s trying to control variables that are too unpredictable, I think.

Left of center is looking at the domestic dirt, not “war victories” of any kind. Right of center is not going to vote for Obama’s “war victories” anyway.

Free radicals are going to bounce in and out of the voting booth here and there with logic that would freak out Schrödinger’s cat — I think they can be ignored. “Ronulans for Obama” are not going to be some deciding block — if they were, the Republic would be more or less gone anyway.

IMHO, etc etc.

Axe on January 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

In fact, you were the only person to welsh on our bet.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

unseen posted here yesterday…..

Sorry dude..:)

idesign on January 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM

idesign on January 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM

He never took the bet. You did, you lost and you reneged.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Yes they were, and the pro and anti comments have usually been fairly equal as well. ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

No they weren’t equal.

I’m complaining because your complaining about open reg bringing in people with different opinions basically.

All of us are unique people: I am a Romney supporter who in a perfect world who vote for Santorum, and wanted Jindal or Daniels, who also hates the contingent of Romney supporters who happen to be Mormon and think that the slightest criticism of him is religious bigotry. I also voted for Huckabee in my primary in 2008 because I liked him and thought he had the best chance to beat Obama.

There was way too much black or white here months ago and less actual discussion that didn’t descend into a insult fest. I had hoped this would die down as the primary moved forward but it looks like this may never end because it looks like whenever one of these candidates (I’m not saying Romney is going to be that guy) wins, everyone else who supported a different candidate will take their ball and go home (some Romney supporters are probably going to do it if their guy doesn’t win too).

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Could you please provide a link?

Cindy Munford

The link would be to me because this is just my opinion.

It is based up what Rubio has done and said while in the Senate, e.g the Libyan rebels are “heroes.” That statement is readily available.

Rubio is not a Tea Partier and never was. His influence grows greatly if Romney wins and Rubio can claim some credit for it.

He is Cuban – good and wise people who also know which side will benefit them when buttering their bread.

Not to mention that Cuban coffee is Mucho Greato.

Horace on January 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Oh and for those who don’t remember, the bet was simply for the loser to post a note saying that the winner was right and they were wrong. You lack the honor to carry through on such a simple act.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Ed Morrissey on Jan 7, 2012 12:15 PM

Think again Ed. That protester represents a very apathetic and indifferent American who is sick and tired of doing the right things and then getting screwed by Republican elite. People are getting really upset thinking Romney will be the Republican option in the general. You know, we’re approaching 2012 and I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some sort of big time revolt towards the end of the year.

apocalypse on January 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

No they weren’t equal.

Bluray on January 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM

The numbers of anti-Palin, indifferent, and pro-Palin commenters has always been pretty equal. I don’t recall any thread ever that had an overwhelming majority of worshipful comments that would mislead the unwary web surfer that this site is strictly pro-Palin and that therefore all Republicans love Sarah Palin. What you were upset about is that the Mittbot contingent was either paltry, too ashamed, or else they were so obnoxious in spamming Palin threads that they’d get banned.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM

apocalypse on January 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

LOL!

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Just teasing… :-D

apocalypse on January 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM

If Palin sucks, and she is obviously about a quadrillion times more of a real conservative than Mittens, then Mittens must blow.

Hey, that balances out just right.

Horace on January 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

You were right, I was wrong…

My honor is restored!