Romney gets a thousand cheers and one heckler in Derry

posted at 12:15 pm on January 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I’m in Manchester, New Hampshire for the next few days, covering the next stop in the Republican primary process. After arriving late last night, I got up early this morning to travel to Derry, where Mitt Romney had a rally scheduled at Pinkerton Academy at 8:20 this morning. Pinkerton is in Derry, a picturesque town that doesn’t quite resemble a suburb, but isn’t really that rural, either. It’s best described as quaint in the most complimentary meaning of the term.  It mainly features small, stand-alone shops, but at the moment, I’m writing this post from a café called The Coffee House in one of the few strip malls I’ve seen, which has live music from a harpist and cellist.

The event itself was well-attended, especially for the quiet area in which it was held and the time of day.  I guessed that Romney had attracted about 300 people, but I was pretty far off; the campaign later said that the estimate from the Derry PD was 1,020, and the fire marshal told the local media that the hard count at the front door was 930.  On the way in, though, the attendees got to hear from Ron Paul supporters, who have made a habit of demonstrating outside of Romney events in New Hampshire.  There weren’t too many of them, though, only about a dozen.  The one here in the foreground has a sign that says, “The doctor will free you now,” and they called out to people to “Say yes to Dr. No!”

Not everyone who attended was committed to Romney.  I didn’t mix much with the crowd, but I spoke to a couple of reporters later who were having trouble finding solid Romney backers to interview.  I saw a lot of stickers and buttons, however, and the crowd seemed very enthusiastic for Romney and his surrogates, Senator Kelly Ayotte and South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, both of whom spoke at the rally.  One man in particular was not at all a fan of Romney — an Occupy heckler who tried to disrupt the event.  Fortunately, I was in perfect position to capture the exchange, such as it was:

Hey, if he’s the only protester, doesn’t that make him the 0.1% in a crowd of a thousand?

Romney wasn’t thrown by this at all.  He waited for the crowd to drown out the protester, and then reminded people how fortunate we are to live in a country where dissent is not stifled, although he wished it had been presented with “respect and civility.”  I was a little surprised that there was only one outburst; I expected another, but it never came.  The Derry police showed a great deal of restraint in this case, standing by the man to let him have his say, and then escorting him out when the moment was over … even if the Occupier hadn’t quite figured that out.

Otherwise, the speeches were standard campaign fare, but clearly Romney wants to stick to the economy and encroaching federal regulation as the basis of his campaign against Obama.  Haley and Ayotte never strayed far from those themes, either, and Haley emphasized them when she told the crowd that her biggest headache as Governor doesn’t come from the state itself, but interference from Washington DC.  Both were effective, but Haley showed that she can charm a crowd.  Eventually, we might see Haley headlining presidential primary events.  Romney stuck with economic arguments almost completely, in the last few minutes changed to more of an inspirational call to patriotism and duty by quoting from “America the Beautiful.”  He then stuck around for about a half hour to shake hands and talk with people before going into another room to do a couple of media interviews.

I’m posting the Haley and Ayotte speeches in their entirety, and Romney’s conclusion to his speech below, but this post would not be complete without mentioning that another candidate dropped by the auditorium after Romney left.  I think I’ve found Jazz Shaw’s dream presidential candidate:

This is what makes covering American politics fun.  A local police officer told me the boot is on his head because Mr. Supreme wants to give politicians the boot.  He had no idea what the half-dozen ties meant, and Mr. Supreme didn’t explain it during his brief but memorable appearance.

Here are the three videos.  Enjoy. I’ll be at a Santorum event later and will have video and more observations later today.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I’m supporting Huntsman.

McDuck on January 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM

1 percenter! 99 > 1

bernverdnardo1 on January 7, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Sek, very few are saying that only Romney can beat Obama. What millions are saying is that we cannot take a chance. The nation will not survive 4 more years of this.

Of course Santorum or Perry or anyone else MIGHT defeat Obama, but can we take that chance?

In the final analysis it will be much easier to get conservatives to vote for Romney than independents to vote for Santorum or Perry or Gingrich.

Next Labor Day Obama will have the Rose Garden and the MSM and perhaps an improving economy. We MUST put our safest alternative against him – a reasonable and reassuring alternative. That man is Mitt Romney.

matthew8787 on January 7, 2012 at 2:04 PM

This “shut up and sit down” attitude must be stopped.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

It is amazing the number of Americans who have turned into “sheeples” and will blindly fall in line and vote for Romney!

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I look at Romney as sort of like a Republican version of Bill Clinton. No real center of belief just sort of goes with the political winds. Nothin to get excited about but maybe that’s what it takes to win an election these days.

steel guy on January 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Exactly why with a conservative house and senate we can pull him towards us. We can’t get that with Odoodoo unless we have a veto proof congress. You “can’t vote for romney” dweebs have got to wake up. Odoodoo will do wharever he wants in a second term with no restraints. Not for romney either, but I live in reality. Stop admiring the rainbows and playing with the pink unicorns. Join me.

msupertas on January 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

If the nominee is Romney, I’ll vote for him, but I think we can do a lot better. A whole lot better. Romney-lovers (as opposed to those settling for Romney) seem either to have something hormonal going, or think Romney can get the vote of their neighbor Hipster McGovernmentworker, who calls herself independent because she once voted for a Republican who was her kid’s Scout leader for dog catcher, and being partisan isn’t “hip.”

Sekhmet on January 7, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I’m voting for Romney, and none of what you say applies to me. You’re just going to have to dig a little deeper to understand what is going… assuming you even care to know.

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Kinda reminds you of union thugs, huh?

itsnotaboutme on January 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Indeed, and then they will wake up to…more of the same, with an R next to his name, for show only. The two men are nearly identical.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM

seem either to have something hormonal going,

Really?? You’re going there? I support him because Rick Perry flamed out and I think he would be a great president. He’s calm, measured and smart. He lives his life admirably and knows about economy..the most important thing in this election.

bluealice on January 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Why won’t she endorse? She a coward or something?

rubberneck on January 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Idiot! Not even a single one in the bunch of GOP wannabes deserves Palin’s support. They are all fakes. Plus, they happily left Palin when she needed them. They are all backstabbers!

People, it’s going to be Romney. Not my first pick but not my last either. He’s no Reagan but he is more conservative than McCain. We are all going to have to accept him and vote for him in the end or it will be 4 more years of the big O

steel guy on January 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Okey. So brace yourself. The dimicrats are now starting their eradication of all Romney’s pretensions. They just can’t wait for the GOP’s gift of Romney in the General Election.

Plus, why would Palin listen to you? Palin-hater!

TheAlamos on January 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Wise words by Mark Levin on Romney. Certainly food for thought!

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM

matthew8787 on January 7, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Excellent logic, Matthew. Very persuasive.

itsnotaboutme on January 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Swamp Yankee
Jailbreak
Haner
CSdeven

There are others, these 4 are the most uhm what’s the word, I’m looking for….devoted.

angryed on January 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Better to be devoted than repeatedly chase after flavor-of-the-months and throw away your principles little by little with each wagon jump (illegal immigration, Fannie Mae government-private corruption, climate change, individual liberty, executive experience). The latter is what we call fickle, or the opposite of prudent and conservative behavior.

And if that was a backhanded attempt at implying that I’m a Mormon, I’m not, I’m Episcopal. Many Episcopalians here in New England.

haner on January 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

steel guy on January 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Plus, why would Palin listen to you? Palin-hater!

Sorry. It’s for:

Why won’t she endorse? She a coward or something?

rubberneck on January 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM

TheAlamos on January 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Must’ve been written before Newt’s crash/burn/destroy/smear/defame/slam campaign.

itsnotaboutme on January 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I’m supporting Huntsman, but I, too, can read the writing on the wall. Romney will cruise to primary victory. I will vote for him in the general, but I suspect he will lose to Obama.

McDuck on January 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I suspect you a right but I shutter to think of 4 more years of Obama. Consider this though, Romney won the governership as a Mormon, Republican, Conservative in Catholic, Democrat, Liberal Massachusetts.(And yes he was and is portrayed as a conservative by the local media here in Ma.) He just may beat the odds again.

steel guy on January 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Sometimes I think the talk radio guys don’t even want Republicans to win. How else to explain some of the unelectable nincompoops they’ve promoted over the years?

therightwinger on January 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Just waiting for Palin’s Romney endorsement. After the hundred /wrists around here all we’ll see is:

What a RINO! She’s really packing on the pounds too!!!11eleven

almosthandsome on January 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

What a RINO! She’s really packing on the pounds too!!!11eleven

almosthandsome on January 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I don’t think so. Besides DNC, it was Romney’s camp which had a hand in many of Palin’s problems in the last 3 years including the so-called Mukowskwiwkskyyyy.

TheAlamos on January 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

haner on January 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Right because one must be a bigot not to endorse Gov. Romney. I hope you didn’t hurt yourself with that stretch.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Kelly and Nikki had better just step away from the Mittster. What’s coming isn’t going to be pretty. Turns out the Mittster is just another crony capitalist who has made some very bad decisions. We have to do better than this. We have to restore America and he doesn’t have a clue. He’s no better than O. This man should not be the President of this great country. He will not bring about the change that is needed. He doesn’t want the change that is needed.

BTW, the Tea Party is not dead for those that like to spread that rumor.

BetseyRoss on January 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Very persuasive.

itsnotaboutme on January 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Is it?

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM

What a RINO! She’s really packing on the pounds too!!!11eleven

almosthandsome on January 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I bet Palin endorses Santorum. Santorum has saved True Conservatives from looking like giant hypocrites endorsing Newt Gingrich. I would vote for Santorum over Gingrich as well.

haner on January 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM

matthew8787 on January 7, 2012 at 2:04 PM

And I am saying first of all that 0bama has been the best thing to happen to conservatism since Reagan. 0bama is going to leave a stench on the Democrat Party even worse than the one Jimmy Carter left. For the next generation or so, we can say, “If you elect the liberal Democrats, you’re going to get 0bama all over again, and nobody wants that!”

Secondly, Romney has been running since 2006. 0bama is better at running for office than actually being in office. You think he and his lapdog media don’t have a big, fat media trap just waiting for Romney’s acceptance of the nomination? The only other candidate against which he has been similarly prepared was Sarah Palin. And she had the sense to drop out, likely for this very reason. Rather than the sure thing you think you are going to get, Romney will spend the entire campaign trying to prove he’s stopped hitting his dog, or a similar well-coordinated attempt to knock him on his azz and make him have to prove a negative.

Why vote for a Nixon when we can get someone closer to Reagan? And why not give 0bama and his pet journ-o-lists a candidate they haven’t spent three years preparing for?

Sekhmet on January 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I have said it before and I will say it again.
I am a Perry person.
But I will work my ass off to elect Romney if he is the nominee.
For three reasons:
Obama will destroy what is left of our country if he remains in office.
Romney loves this country.
Romney is a businessman.

ArmyAunt on January 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Thank you for your pariotism. To not do whatever it takes to get Odoodoo out of there, even if its something we don’t want to do, is treasonous tragic.

msupertas on January 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

We’re hearing that over and over again, aren’t we? That sounds vaguely familiar. Now, isn’t there another candidate they’re crying “Bigot!” about, if you criticize him or don’t support him?

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Mr.Supreme/Gingrich 2012

Falz on January 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

It was the way he paused at the word devoted. Of course you’re not a bigot for supporting another candidate.

haner on January 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM

haner on January 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Like it or not, it was Palin who technically gave a “shout-out” to Santorum’s almost-dead campaign in that Fox interview prior to the Iowa Caucus.

So you’re probably correct. But who knows? This primary season is also a test for Palin’s independence and common-sense conservatism.

TheAlamos on January 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Could someone tell me who the Romneybots are? The Paulnuts and the Nistas typically stick out like a sore thumb …Romney supporters in general don’t come close to acting like they are bots or cultish.

I live in Massachusetts and even when he ran for governer I don’t recall anyone being a “Romneybot” then or now. He just doesn’t create a lot of excitement but he does have an air of competence about him.

steel guy on January 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I appreciate your response. Interestingly it was the only response. I think the “Romneybot” comments are dishonest.

CW on January 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM

This “shut up and sit down” attitude must be stopped.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Careful Schadenfreude. You’re sounding like those liberals who accuse conservatives of saying they aren’t patriots, when no one is doing that. By all means stand up. Speak up. Just don’t be bummed out when I don’t buy what you’re peddling.

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Sheeples? Really? That’s so 2004.

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

itsnotaboutme on January 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM

So, it is okay for Romney to peddle lies, misinformation and make defamatory comments against Newt and other candidates but when they defend themselves, it is smearing and slamming?

Newt is not personally attacking Romney. He is attacking Romney’s record and his policies.

It is necessary for Romney’s record to be vetted and I am glad Newt is doing so.

Romney has been given a complete pass by the media so far in this election.

Romney will make a very poor candidate if he cannot stand up to scrutiny.

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I have said it before and I will say it again.
I am a Perry person.
But I will work my ass off to elect Romney if he is the nominee.
For three reasons:
Obama will destroy what is left of our country if he remains in office.
Romney loves this country.
Romney is a businessman.

ArmyAunt on January 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Good! Start working on these ads … they might come into your living room sooner or later.

TheAlamos on January 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I think Santorum is going to flame out, Gingrich is too big a loose cannon, and the ABRs will hesitantly give Perry another chance.

At which point, Sarah endorses Perry, and this puts him over the top. Texas Democrats would have given their remaining testicles to have found something sufficiently damning on Perry for the past three elections down here, and haven’t found it yet. All the things 0bama has done to mess over Texas will look like nothing more than retaliation for Perry’s defiance over the years. The press and the 0bama campaign (BIRM) will be much more flat-footed, and I don’t think Perry is going to do as badly in the debates as folks have been fearing.

But I’m an optimist, you see.

Sekhmet on January 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM

steel guy on January 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Preaching to the one man choir here. Amen.

msupertas on January 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Two-man choir. Except I’m not really singing … just moving my lips …

Rod on January 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Oh I’m singing, but I’m holding my nose.

msupertas on January 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Sheeples? Really? That’s so 2004.

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Hit a nerve, eh? You must be one of those sheeples!

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Is it?

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Interesting. A side of Ms. Munford I don’t think I’ve seen before.

:-)

Could be I just don’t visit often enough.

Rod on January 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM

haner on January 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I’m glad you know that, I’m still not sure how you defined the word “devoted” for him but that’s easy to do with text.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Sekhmet on January 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I anticipate the NH debate to clarify that a bit more.

All fangs come out against Romney tonight. Whoever does it the best without being slapped by Romney in return will lead the ABR pack.

haner on January 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Huntsman failed to make the ballot in Illinois.

Even Roemer and Perry made it.

Hutnsman isn’t a serious candidate. He’s a former Obama ambassador who entered the race to attack Romney.

joana on January 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Romney has been given a complete pass by the media so far in this election./

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

You forgot your snark tag. FIFY

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Rod on January 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I’m positive you don’t visit enough and I consider myself a contrarian. I guess it is the luxury of not having a strong preference for any of the candidates but being told what I must do.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Two hecklers. The woman standing next to him was chanting in unison with him.

unclesmrgol on January 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM

unclesmrgol on January 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Were they doing the human microphone? I love that!!

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Sheeples? Really? That’s so 2004.

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Hit a nerve, eh? You must be one of those sheeples!

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM

What ever meme you need to sleep at night, I’m happy to provide! Baaaaaaaaa Baaaaaaaa

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Romney has been given a complete pass by the media so far in this election.

Romney will make a very poor candidate if he cannot stand up to scrutiny.

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Newt’s current actions are pathetically transparent. But more power to him – there’s nothing he can do that will be worse than what Romney will see from Obama in the general. If Romney can’t withstand Newt, he certainly won’t be able to withstand Obama. Better that he have the chance to either prepare and prove himself or not.

gotsig on January 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Last word for this thread:

Congratulations, Oboma! You have secured your 2nd Term.

The ambitions, illusions, and megalomania of the GOP wannabes and GOP Establishment, including the lack of principles and blindness of the majority of the Republican voters, are far worse than your complete failure in your first term as President.

TheAlamos on January 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM

gotsig on January 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM

That’s an excellent point.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Sheeples? Really? That’s so 2004.

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Sheep
Knats
Plankton
Fish banks
Dust
Plantation creatures

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Sheeples? Really? That’s so 2004.

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Sand
Jelly fish

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Legislatively, Romney and Gingrich are NOT flip floppers. Romney produced pure leftist Progressive legislation, Gingrich helped enact historic conservative legislation. Verbally, they are both flip floppers with Romney sometimes pretending to be a conservative and Gingrich sometimes pretending to be a Progressive.

Ceteris Paribus on January 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Romney has been given a complete pass by the media so far in this election./

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

You forgot your snark tag. FIFY

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I myself am curious why the picture of Romney with his cow-orkers at Bain Capital with all that money coming out of their pockets isn’t given wider circulation in the era of Occupy Wall Street, and speaking of OWS—How come OWS showed up shortly after Palin dropped out of the race? As soon as an anti-Romney campaign was guaranteed not to be at cross-purposes with an anti-Palin campaign?

ABRs are not trying to run the most Christine O’Donnell-like candidate out there, we have genuine concerns about the success of a Romney campaign. Many of us figure 0bama and the press have had three years to figure out how to hold the good stuff back on Romney for the right moment.

Sekhmet on January 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Speak up. Just don’t be bummed out when I don’t buy what you’re peddling.

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Meh, you assume, erroneously, that I care to peddle or do anything. My apathy is at 98%. I just aim to live up/down to my nom. Fools deserve no more/less. The land’s wound is self-inflicted, from all sides.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

“a thousand cheers” considering new hampshire’s considerable population of refugees from The People’s Soviet Commonwealth and Romenycare in particular…

but that says more about the distaste for obama than it does for love of the mitty. desperate times require desperate choices.

and, dear god, are those … mom jeans?

mittens on January 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Sekhmet on January 7, 2012 at 2:02 PM

This may come as a shock to you, but I am a rather well adjusted, middle aged, middle class man who is enthusiastically in favor of Romney based on his merits and belief that he will be an outstanding POTUS. I consider his broad appeal to those outside of the intransigent right and left to be an asset that will ensure he gets the opportunity to prove me right.

And yes, I own a dog too and was once a Scout. I’m sure you can weave that in to your stereotype some how.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Not a bigot, a thinker. That is forbidden. Shut up and sit down, Mrs. Munford. Romney is the boy!

How I wish he’d lose, just to see the lefties’ heads explode. They’re so prepared to take him on. It’s a war, and that strategy would fall into the water and leave them nakid.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

and, dear god, are those … mom jeans?

mittens on January 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

LOL! Until you said something I had not noticed. I don’t know if I would go that far but they are not great.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Make no mistake when Mr. Vermin’s meds wear off he will realize he’s actually a Ron Paul supporter….

HatfieldMcCoy on January 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

So you’re not here to persuade anyone? That explains your name.

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I wish I felt confidence in someone, I’m just going to have to hope that the supporters of Gov. Romney are correct and he is the answer.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:49 PM

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Wow, you might as well be describing me. Although I was never much of a Scout – just went to camp to shoot the .22′s. And technically the dog belongs to my daughter.

gotsig on January 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM

We must start paving the way now for an historically lopsided defeat of a sitting president by using our most potent weapon: our wallets. Go Galt, America. Disappear for the next 10 months. Don’t spend money on anything you don’t absolutely NEED. If your car dies, buy a used one.

Our dishwasher gave up the ghost last January. My wife and I have vowed to do the dishes by hand until election day. Think of every dime you spend as going straight into the coffers of Obama’s “Re-elect ME!” campaign. Let’s hang this lousy economy around Obama’s neck like a millstone. Then we can elect Romney, Santorum, or anyone we want to elect.

Do you want to know who John Galt is? I am John Galt. You are John Galt. We, the productive citizens who don’t consider ourselves entitled to a share of the fruits of someone else’s labor are all John Galt. Those of us who know that the founders wrote the 10th Amendment because they knew a nation comprised of dependent people cannot remain independent for long. They expected us, in our roles as citizens, to do some things for OURSELVES, not because they wanted us to be selfish, but because they wanted us to be self-RELIANT and not turn to government to provide our every desire, or demand a government that will take from others to give to us, or punish our fellow citizens when they DO succeed. If that’s not what the 10th Amendment means, then what DOES it mean?

There will be plenty of time to spend our money AFTER November 6, 2012. Then we’ll show them what a REAL economic recovery looks like.

Doug Piranha on January 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I just aim to live up/down to my nomname.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

FIFY

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Wow, MJB. What a transformation. From a dKos reject who proudly proclaimed that he hated every single HA poster to an All-American guy. What happened?

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Sekhmet on January 7, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I tend to be in the “settling” camp and do believe Romney can win. I am just not seeing what you see in Romney supporters. Now if you were to talk about many of our SP and RP supporters we would agree.

CW on January 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Doug Piranha on January 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Loved Atlas Shrugged, but was just fiction. Rand pointed out many problems with our society, but put forth a horrible solution. Cuba, Russia, North Korea, all obvious examples that show liberals could care less what free marketeers did, as long as we go. Leaving them to their devices is their wildest dream. Why give it to them?

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM

The only thing I would like to persuade people of is that calling the supporters of opposing candidates names is not a great tactic. How confident must someone be of that Republicans will march to the polls in November and dutifully pull the lever for the Republican candidate that they can attack so many on their intelligence, their integrity and their love of country? Anonymous is obviously very freeing.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM

CW on January 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

For Romney to have supporters who are normal every-day Americans who actually (on occasion) think just doesn’t fit the narrative of the ABR crowd.

gotsig on January 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Romney? He’s more powerful than we thought.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM

All candidates (and apparently political pundits) have their rabid supporters and detractors and none do themselves any favors.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM

He healed him! Or, is that heel?

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

The Ron Paul demonstrators I can respect to some degree. While I’m supporting Romney, I do think people should remind him which direction the party has been heading in. This will serve as a gentle reminder not to stray too far off the reservation if he does actually end up winning the presidency.

That said, I think actually voting for Ron Paul is probably is a more effective reminder than these demonstrations.

The OWS demonstrators though, are just lame. Now not only does OWS lack coherent complaints and demands, but they were only able to muster a single heckler? Really? They had to have known they were impotent, so why go out of their way to reveal it to everybody else?

Well, regardless, its nice to see some rallies with some actual energy for once. A lot of the footage I saw coming out of Iowa seemed luke-warm at best. So its nice to see things are improving a little.

WolvenOne on January 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I’m not touching that one.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM

gotsig on January 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Nonsense. All of the candidates have more “normal every-day Americans who actually (on occasion) think” than whatever you are suggesting is the alternative.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I’ll have you know they are skinny jeans from the Gap that his wife bought for him…read that somewhere.

bluealice on January 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I never suggested that all of the candidates do not have many supporters who are normal, every-day, thinking Americans. I suggested that the fact that Romney has these types of supporters as well does not play into the narrative of the ABR crowd at this site. Just look at this thread where it was suggested among other things that Romney supporters have “something hormonal” going – and I might say that this is actually one of the milder things said about us.

gotsig on January 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Oh looky, Romney has the lead now in SC with 32% of the vote. The word, “juggernaut” is starting to come to mind.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

gotsig on January 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

It’s not attractive but I guarantee that you can see the same thing on the threads of other candidates (and non candidates). And often from the keyboards of Romney supporters. Like I said up thread, not appealing and not a winning tactic.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I think he was respondig to the way others describe Romney supporters. You know. bots, sheepel etc.

bluealice on January 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

bluealice on January 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Again, no different than other candidates and their supporters are treated. Consider it good training for Obama.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Congratulations.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Consider it good training for Obama.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Certainly a valid point.

gotsig on January 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM

gotsig on January 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM

LOL! I think we traded “atta boys” on that one.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Romney wears a Seiko and jeans from the GAP.

Makes me feel splurgy in comparison.

haner on January 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM

He does wear expensive-looking ties though, but maybe they’re from Marshall’s.

haner on January 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

haner on January 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

He seems like a frugal but comfortable man. You need to be prepared for the ongoing photos of his homes because I saw it being used somewhere (not HotAir) the other day.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Sparky5253 on January 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Comes easy to them after all the practice they get on Sunday mornings.

Bandit13 on January 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Had Hot Gas existed in December 1978

A new Gallup poll has just been released shows Carter beating Reagan 57/35

Anyone who votes for Reagan in the primary is guaranteeing another 4 years of Carter. Get in line people, George HW Bush is the candidate. He is moderate and electable. Stop being a True Conservative and get with the program.

And this is the thing. A sitting President is not easy to beat. When running, even a bad one can win re-election if the opposition candidate cannot convince voters that he will be better for the job.

I remember the Carter years. The economy was in the dumper. The nation was demoralized. Carter was a walking embarrassment. Carter jokes were everywhere. He looked impotent in the face of the Iranian hostage crisis. And despite this, he STILL polled vastly ahead of Reagan. At the time, for a large percentage of the electorate Reagan was considered a loose-cannon bomb-thrower who would have us in a war with the USSR within a week of taking office.

That polling advantage persisted until very late in the cycle, until the televised debates, when Reagan came off as charming, Presidential, and above all, not scary to the average voter. He won in a landslide.

But Reagan was a trained performer and a master of precisely that debate format. If he had been less adroit, we could easily have wound up with Carter again.

Fast forward to this fall. Obama is unpopular, but the general electorate is not too sure about GOP nominee Gingrich/Perry/Santorum. Can any of these men pull off the same reassuring performance that RR did? I don’t know. Philosophically, I like Perry best but honestly worry about him laying a giant egg with 50 million voters watching and a press all too ready to ride to the rescue of their lord and master PBHO. This worries me enough that “electability” becomes virtue number 1 for me, and I think Mitt has that hands down in this cycle among our current choices.

If any of those other men win the nomination, they will have my vote and full support, but for the primary, I think Mitt’s the guy.

FuzzyLogic on January 7, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Comes easy to them after all the practice they get on Sunday mornings.

Bandit13 on January 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Excuse me?

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Now if you were to talk about many of our SP and RP supporters we would agree.

CW on January 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

“Mitt is our only hope and he is the ONLY one who can beat Obama and he has unparalleled leadership and business skills and if you don’t support him you’re helping Obama, you drooling Palin-worshiping morons!!!” — “normal” folks.
“I like Sarah Palin and think she’d be a good president and don’t think she’s quite the subhuman cretin that people make her out to be.” — CULTIST!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!

haner on January 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

So it would be better to throw those principles away in one fell swoop by getting on the Romney Train.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM

sarc>

Remember this is the man that hauled his dog on top of the car. How horrible. He must be punished for doing such.

He’s got my vote if he is the nominee.

dhugh on January 7, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Wait a second. Weren’t you an enthusiastic Perry supporter back in August?

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Outside the right and left? That leaves moderates as Romney’s base. Good luck with that.

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM

He tied his dog on top of his car and travelled for I don’t know miles? wow the lengths he would go to serve his purposes!!! And didn’t he ask his friend to let him give his girlfriednd a ride home since he was going that way and they have been steady ever since (now his wife)!!! wow the principaled guy.

evergreenland on January 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

evergreenland on January 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I don’t know how many miles either but you can be sure it will be thrashed out yet again. As for his girlfriend, now wife, I think we’ve gone to far in the Wayback Machine, Mr. Peabody.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 4:02 PM

evergreenland on January 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM

What Romney did with his dog is a private affair for Romney and his family and the dog to work out!!! But that Santorum with his baby…that’s weeeeeeird…

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Anyone who says anything bad about Santorum and his baby is a tool. Anyone who wants to talk about Romney and his dog must be a PETA supporter.

What exactly is the point of your post?

gotsig on January 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM

He tied his dog on top of his car and travelled for I don’t know miles?

evergreenland on January 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Who let the dogs out? LOL…

ddrintn on January 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM

haner on January 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Believe it or not, Joseph Smith, the “Founding Mormon”, was born in what was once part of the New Hampshire Grant. That part of the Grant became part of Vermont, and he was born in the town of Sharon, which is just west of the Connecticut River. Same part of the region where J.D. Salinger lived.

As for nowadays, there are not many Mormons here in New England at all. Maine has always been the winner for all States with the lowest Mormon conversion rate, and the other New England States are right behind. Here in New Hampshire Mormons make up 0.62% of the State’s population. Ironically there are slightly more Mormons in the Blue State of Vermont than there are in NH, but not many more.

Del Dolemonte on January 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM

CaliforniaRefugee on January 7, 2012 at 2:51

Overestimation is indignant.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Hope ‘n no change. The field is wanting on both sides.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM