Open thread: The first battle of New Hampshire

posted at 8:00 pm on January 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

The artillery fire begins at 9 p.m. ET on ABC and, after an overnight ceasefire, resumes bright and early tomorrow at … 9 a.m. Really. Note, though, that the second debate won’t air live on NBC but rather in your regular local time slot for “Meet the Press.” If you’re recording it, look for it then.

Back-to-back debates presents an interesting strategic question for the Not Romneys. Should they use both forums as an opportunity to pile on Mitt in hopes of dragging him back to earth or should they use one debate to beat on Romney and the other to distinguish themselves from each other? Even at this late date, they still need to define themselves: Apparently, a not insignificant chunk of New Hampshirites was surprised to learn this week that Rick Santorum is against gay marriage. Besides, now that the new polls have showed Romney’s huge lead in NH holding up after Iowa, the calculus has changed for the rest of field. Instead of trying to pull the upset, they’re really trying to place second and then tout that in South Carolina as proof that they’ve been crowned the sole remaining viable alternative to Mitt. So while Romney will take his licks this weekend, (a) Santorum and Ron Paul will hammer each other in hopes of locking up second; (b) Paul and Huntsman will hammer each other in a mini-battle for independents and liberals; and (c) Perry will hammer Santorum in order to kill his momentum before SC and clear the way for a second look at Texas. (Aside: Why is Perry participating in these debates?) The only guy out there who’s likely to train all of his fire on Romney is — well, you know:

With two debates 10 hours apart this weekend, Good Newt versus Bad Newt will be one of the most compelling subplots. It’s clear he hasn’t totally decided which approach to take yet, and even if he does aim to tone it down, it’s not clear he has the discipline to do so…

“He was ‘the ideas guy’ until three weeks ago, when he became a process guy,” said one veteran GOP strategist, who is neutral in the race. “Now all he talks about is process, polling, negative ads, gross ratings points. He has no campaign. He has a moving think tank. The psychology that’s going on is, he thought he was going to win. And he’s devastated with what happened to him and he can’t quite comprehend it. He’s just fuming inside. He can’t believe it happened to him.”

The best window into Gingrich’s state of mind on the eve of the debate may be this Newsweek piece reporting that his Super PAC is set to roll out a 27-minute video savaging Romney for the layoffs at companies acquired by Bain Capital. Actual quote from the narration: “A story of greed. Playing the system for a quick buck. A group of corporate raiders, led by Mitt Romney. More ruthless than Wall Street. For tens of thousands of Americans, the suffering began when Mitt Romney came to town.” Go look at the webpage that the Super PAC has set up to showcase the video. See now why I’m using artillery metaphors for tonight? I don’t know why Newt would go this route after the heat he took on the right for his earlier jab at Mitt’s Bain earnings; it’ll alienate plenty of conservatives, in part because it’s precisely the sort of attack Obama’s preparing for Romney as part of his big class-warfare election strategy. But maybe Newt doesn’t care anymore. Maybe damaging Romney is more important to him now than winning. Or maybe he’s worried about Santorum’s blue-collar appeal to white working-class voters in the Republican base and figures he can kill two birds with one stone this way, positioning himself as the true blue-collar champion against white-collar demon Mitt Romney. (Added bonus: If Newt somehow won the nomination this way, it would partly neutralize Obama’s strategy in the general.) Cynical, yet effective. Maybe?

Here’s the Hot Air/Townhall Twitter widget. Ed will be updating live from the debate. One other thing to keep an eye on: Will Santorum go after Newt? He’d rather focus on Romney but he can’t afford to finish behind Gingrich in NH. That would fuel a “Newt comeback/Santorum fade” narrative before South Carolina, where Newt’s still reasonably strong, and that would probably finish Santorum off. And because Gingrich always does well at the debates, he’s probably bound to get some sort of bounce after this weekend anyway. Santorum might have no choice but to attack.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 19 20 21 22

I don’t know why he told the media bout it though…i think he was trying to tell a story that makes him seem more human and it kind of backfired on him.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM

That was one of the early models, the RomneyBot 2.0. We hadn’t gotten all of the human characteristics down yet. The current model is much more life-like, and should do fine.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Now that’s some kind of funny right there. At least Romney is more human than Al “I am made of wood” Gore.

Frobenius on January 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

It showed poor judgement. And it was neither breed you mentioned it was an Irish Setter and it was a 12-hour drive. And… a dog getting diarrhea like that is a pretty darned good indication the dog was not having a great time.

Rapunzel on January 8, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Well it’s a fun story in terms of making the case that Romney’s not the smartest man to ever walk the earth like his Super Fans like to claim.

It’s a little zany to strap a dog to to the top of your car, no doubt about it.

But if Fido is cool with it, so am I. It was consensual according to Romney. Who am I to judge? :)

See what I did there.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM

The first “real” primary isn’t until SC. NH is famous for Democrats crossing over to vote in the GOP primary. The media wants us to anoint Romney before we even vote in a Red State aka SC.

Rapunzel on January 8, 2012 at 1:22 AM

SC 08 primary winner was McCain…

Bluray on January 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Dr. Tesla

“Why is reproduction necessary in terms of survial of the fitess?”

Because the pursuit of it sells beer.

Horace on January 8, 2012 at 1:39 AM

But, it is my belief that the public is moving in a certain direction on the issue and Republicans are on the losing end of the stick. They need to abandon the federal amendment idea and adopt a states rights stance on the subject before they get left behind.

gyrmnix on January 8, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I’m of the opinion that we can’t out-gay the Democratic Party at this point, so why alienate voters who care about gay marriage.

I don’t vote on this issue either way but I know Republicans lose if we alienate social conservatives.

I also know that Obama isn’t a big advocate for gay marriage, and there’s a reason for it. It’s called internal polling showw most voters are against it. :)

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I used to stalk the mail carrier while awaiting Letters of Acceptance.

First year and a half are the most difficult. Get past those and you can coast to the end.

I was blessed with an exceptional faculty and a traditional school.

Go for the basics – Torts, Property, Contracts, Equitable Remedies, Procedure, Evidence, Criminal Law, Agency and Partnership, Corporations, Trusts and Succession. These are the ones that will pay off after graduation.

Horace on January 8, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Some days, I don’t know if I wish to stalk the mail carrier. I’ve got the postal service car noise down to a science though.

Oh and now they have online status checkers so you’re checking the status about 10 times a day.

I figure that I want to concentrate on litigation and business law the most. But we’ll see what schools I get into and then I can label down the concentrations more.

Everyone is all “woe is me” with where you go to law school. I’m not like that. I’m flexible – to an extent. I’ll just see what fleshes out. I have near 20 applications in and a few more to go.

I’ve always worked in service industries where networking mattered.

I hear the first semester is brutal. I heard that after the first year, it all gets better. I can hope. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM

The campaign itself is a contest, but to score a blow with a personal slam like this, you have to convince voters that Gingrich is not only not as awesomely awesome as Paul, but that his lack of service makes him unappreciative of the sacrifice of the troops.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Well, looking at things the way you frame it: pure politics…Anybody who isn’t the presumptive front runner has to fight tooth and claw for #2 spot behind the frontrunner (thus the Gingrich/Paul dustup as Mitt has no Military Service either). I agree that the Military Commander-In-Chief/Military Experience arguement is rendered moot by potential next Presidents Romney, Obama, and Gingrich.

ps. Mr. Paul is awesomely nothing. But he’s fun in debates…

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 8, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Romney only came in 4th in SC in 2008.

McCain benefited from being a mitliary guy in a state with a strong military presscene and respect for military service.

I can’t see Romney doing better than 2nd in SC. I think either Santorum or Gingrich will beat him there.

I think Perry is out after SC like Fred Thompson in 08.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 1:43 AM

If the dog was shivering and whining …then it’s a sick story. But not disqualifying. Not in this field. THis thread got :(
I’m leaving. I know, no one gives a F.

BoxHead1 on January 8, 2012 at 1:43 AM

In one area that was right in Perry’s wheelhouse they gave Mitt two questions, one to everyone else and ignored Perry. I think all media seems to have a concerted effort right now to blackball him, and he is coming on good and strong when he actually gets some time… was thrilled to see him jump in and take the reigns at one point because he was tired of being treated like a potted plant on the stage.

Rapunzel on January 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Yes, they are blackballing him. Not only in this and previous debates to a certain extent but Fox and the other Networks. This debate business was all a contrived Democratic idea anyway and the Candidates went along with it. The RNC head was nowhere to be found. That’s why they get the name of the stupid party. I’m inclined to believe we have a one party rule, actually. Very few in the House/Senate are worth keeping. On that Donna Brazile comment you might be interested in my comment here:
bluefox on January 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM

bluefox on January 8, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Don’t get too overconfident guys.

That said, once I watched this debate I had a moment where it dawned on me “Mitt is ready.”

My biggest fear was always that he’d coast through and think a platform of being Not-Obama would be sufficient (just as Perry thought being Not-Romney was sufficient).

This fear is now allayed, and Romney displayed an ability to defend Bain capital and the free market system. Good night for Romney.

BKennedy on January 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Enough with the dog story. It should be a non issue. Above link is an article written by the reporter that broke the story awhile back.

dhugh on January 8, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Evolution does not create anything. You are working with the wrong mind model. In evolution things only get destroyed. The appearance of creation is caused by the subtraction of what is destroyed. It is very, very different process from creating things.

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I think you are confused.

It’s true that natural selection can only perserve or eliminate genetic traits based on adaption to a local environment.

Evolution proposes that random mutations does create new and useful features, like a wing.

It’s silly because it’s not logical that random mutations would just happen to create something useful like an eyeball. Randomness would not lead to greater complexity.

If people just think about evolution theory for a few minutes, they usually will start to doubt it’s veracity.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM

She’s talking about Romney’s plan to give waivers to all states.

That said, Romney is going to be weak on eliminating Obamacare. I think one of his few core beliefs is that he did a good job on Romneycare.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM

So a Law can be waived now? Then what is the point of having a Congress? I think Romney is counting his chickens before they are hatched and Haley should know better than that. The issue is to be heard by the Supreme Court. Not too smart to make promises you aren’t sure you can keep. But that’s politics.

bluefox on January 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM

ps. Mr. Paul is awesomely nothing. But he’s fun in debates…

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 8, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Agreed. My favorite moment was him trying to help Perry remember/decide what Government agencies to cut.

“No, cut 5 agencies! You want to cut 5!”

“The EPA! Cut the EPA!”

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Midwestprincesse on January 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM

The ENTIRE first year is brutal because you have to learn the case study method and endure the Socratic method of teaching, i.e. no lectures, just question, question, question. “What did the Court really hold?” “Why?” “What law did it use?” and on and on.

If you want to go business and litigation, classes that are a must are: Evidence, Procedure, Remedies, Corporations, Torts, Agency and Partnership and, maybe, Securities.

I never took Securities in school, but did a securities litigation practice exclusively in Federal Court in St. Louis for five years, so you never know.

Wishing you luck. And prepare to abandon your social life for three years.

Horace on January 8, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Tis a shame. Romney is a weak one and to not see him attacked is mind boggling. Guess we have 2016

Flapjackmaka on January 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM

AmeriCuda on January 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Gov. Perry doesn’t need to drop out at all.

Rubio is said to be campaigning with Romney.

bluefox on January 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I think liberal PETA types attacking Romney on this dog story will only rally conservatives around Romney. It’s actually a good thing for him politically.

People want to be able to relate to their candidate. We’ve all been dumbasses at times, and we now know that Romney’s a dumbass too. He soothes our anxieties as the result of our bitter clingerness.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

bluefox

“So a Law can be waived now?”

Of course. It can also be “deemed” and require passage so that we can know what is in it.

Get current!

Horace on January 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Frobenius on January 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Yes, we never could get the AlGore2000 model to work right. It would always get stuck in a recursive loop talking about LockBoxes. Even when we would try to erase the memory and reset to the factory defaults we couldn’t get it to stop.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Romney’s the probable nominee at this point. Without a primary run-off, he’s probably unbeatable.

I have moved from anger to acceptance. I thought he was good in the debate tonight. Still can believe he said he would overturn Roe Vs Wade. That’s like moderate blasphemy right there.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Well, Obama isn’t advocating for it because he has always been a centrist. He just had a really good marketing team that was able to unite all the democrats behind him. Honestly, Obama’s presidency has really made me feel sorry for the progressives.

But, it’s not about trying to out-gay the democrats, it’s about empowering the people to make the right decision for their community. If the socons want nothing to do with gay marriage, they will have a much fairer shot at making it illegal at the state level rather than the federal.

But, I can’t even pretend to see eye-to-eye with social conservatives. I don’t know why they get so worked up over the idea of two men getting married. In my opinion, if somebody finds someone they love and want to commit themselves to each other, great.

gyrmnix on January 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM

“You say you want to remove our dependance on foreign oil produced by hostile regimes by opening up massive domestic energy production operations. How do you propose to obtain approval from congress for these plans?”

Kataklysmic on January 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

According to Gov. Perry, most all of these were E.O. by B.O. and could be reversed. Congress would not have to approve any of them.

bluefox on January 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM

You are nuts if you don’t understand Obama is the most leftwing president we’ve seen. A centrist? C’mon man.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM

It does not. It proposes that mutations are all random and that mutations that are not useful tend to lead to the elimination of the carriers of those mutations.

The difference may seem unimportant, but it is essential to understanding the theory, whatever your view of the theory is.

The wing is not “created” by anything. The human need to try to intellectually simplify complex events causes people to use the word incorrectly.

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM

There are not enough gay voters to lose net votes on the issue.

Politicians understand this. Obama’s interested in class warfare politics and getting revenge on rich whitie, not the plight of the gay.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM

bluefox

Of course all of B.O’s E.O.s can be removed – and should be.

At least Hitler had the courtesy of asking the Reichstag to approve the Enabling Act before he began ruling by diktat.

Barry is a low-class excuse for a Nazi.

Horace on January 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM

A wing has to be created by some process or it would not exist.

I don’t think this is debatable, but good luck with that logic.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

We turned it into an Evolution thread? Oh, 21st page, yeah, I guess that’s about the right time.

I call dibs on next topic, though. Once we get to page 25, we switch to Obama’s birth certificate, Trig Palin, and the 9/11 coverup. Deal?

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM

To believe that the complex human body is the result of random mutations is so absurd.

It’s statistically impossible for random mutations to occur simultanesiously and in such a sequence to result in something useful like an eye or wing or a liver.

A little logic goes a long ways. Just because some guy at your college told you evolution is scientific fact doesn’t mean it’s so. Don’t be scared to question things. You have a brain for a reason.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM

I don’t see how a discussion of evolution theory is equal to those kind of topics.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Here are my thoughts on Romney’s time at Bain:

bomble on January 8, 2012 at 2:08 AM

fadetogray

According to David Berlinski, a highly-educated scientist, it would take over 40,000 changes in perfect sequence to change a whale from a land-dwelling creature to a sea-dwelling creature.

Do you really think random mutation over time could do this?

Did life really begin when lightning struck a mud puddle?

How could a rock be half-animate matter and half non-animate matter?

Where are the intermediate creatures? Answer – there are none.

Darwin’s absurd theories should only be read as fairy tales to children at bedtime – “And then the dinosaur magically turned into a squirrel and then…”

Horace on January 8, 2012 at 2:09 AM

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Only if we can switch it at 30 to why Obama isnt releasing info on UFO’s and our war with the evil grays.

Sultanofsham on January 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I had a good live stream over here, I’m not sure how I’m going to pick up the debate tomorrow. Anybody know if Meet the Press has live streaming?

JPeterman on January 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Here are 3 sites. Hope that helps.

bluefox on January 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM

RINO in name only

OK. Obama’s birth certificate was prepared by the metallic beings on the planet Zemo as part of their plan to turn Earth into a meat-producing source for their growing Galactic Empire population.

“Human canope? Mmmmmm!”

Prove me wrong – if you can.

Horace on January 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I can see Obama being a 9-11 truther.

El Rushbo played some comments by Obama about the Iraq war from a few years ago that I had not heard, and he sounded like your typical MSNBC nutjob. I still can’t believe this guy convinced a majority of voters to vote for him.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:14 AM

JPeterman, that first link is not for the 9AM debate. I’ve got too many windows open, LOL

The one below is what I meant to post!!

bluefox on January 8, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Does Hotair allow discussion of Obama’s birth certificate?

If I’m not mistaken, Erick erickson and red state banned anybody who brought up that topic. That guy is so insecure.

I never understood the theory that talking about Obama’s birth certificate means people will re-elect Obama.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:17 AM

A wing has to be created by some process or it would not exist.

You are stuck with that incorrect mind model.

One might say the wing came about through the elimination process we call evolution, but that process is not one of creation.

Once you actually understand the process, it becomes obviously true. You can continue to argue against man having come about that way, or you can even argue for the literal truth of Genesis, but evolution is still an ongoing fact.

Mutations happen all of the time. Most are bad. Those creatures with the bad mutations will tend to fail to reproduce compared to those without the bad mutations. The process is fact.

Given sufficient time, that process can lead anywhere.

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 2:20 AM

fadetogray

Do you really think random mutation over time could do this?

Did life really begin when lightning struck a mud puddle?

How could a rock be half-animate matter and half non-animate matter?

Where are the intermediate creatures? Answer – there are none.

Horace on January 8, 2012 at 2:09 AM

A Ph.D. in philosophy makes one a highly trained scientist?

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:23 AM

“Human canope? Mmmmmm!”

Prove me wrong – if you can.

Horace on January 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Your theory doesn’t include the false flag operation on 9/11 or the intricacies of Sarah Palin’s uterus. FAIL.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Does Hotair allow discussion of Obama’s birth certificate?

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:17 AM

This apparently is all something that only people with very low testosterone can understand.

RasThavas on January 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM

You are stuck with that incorrect mind model.

Given sufficient time, that process can lead anywhere.

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I don’t think you going to persuade anybody that evolution theory is legit with this type of logic or talking points. You sound like a guy who has watched too many Star Trek episodes.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Spot on.

It would take a far greater “miracle” for the universe to spontaneosly “come into existence” from nothing, than for a personal “spirit being” to intelligently design it.

What with all the various lifeforms, each with EXPONENTIAL amounts of genetic information pertinent to that specific lifeform.
Not a chance that our universe evolved into this, from a lower state of being.

listens2glenn on January 8, 2012 at 2:33 AM

RasThavas on January 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM

What does this even mean? The purpose of communication is to clearly convey your thoughts, and you seem to fail on that level consistently.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM

See now why I’m using artillery metaphors for tonight?

then why aren’t you using the one that best fits Gingrich – a cook off?

RasThavas on January 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Does Hotair allow discussion of Obama’s birth certificate?

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Sure it does. But after he released the long-form, there really isn’t much to talk about, is there?

By the way, shame on both of us, it’s still page 21. We are supposed to still be on evolution, and how Christians and/or Atheist ideas were responsible for the holocaust. The conspiracy discussion wasn’t supposed to start until page 25.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM

I think a lot of non-believers cling to the evolution theory because they are afraid of the idea of a god. It is kind of scary in a way.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Think man, think. It will come to you.

RasThavas on January 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM

I suppose amongst the blind there wouldn’t be.

RasThavas on January 8, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Why not release the long form version from the start?

I rather decide what I talk about than some control freak bitch like you deciding that for me. All you are doing here is whining about what other people are talking about. Why don’t you go to bed, maybe you’ll be less pissy in the morning.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Gingrich won. He always wins. Until Karl Rove hyperventillates.

Connie on January 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM

The suns and planets that form the constellations of the billion billion solar systems and go pouring through the viewless arteries of space are the blood corpuscles in the veins of God, and the countless variation of species are but the microbes that swarm and wiggle and brag in each, and to think God can tell them apart at that distance and has nothing better to do than try. This is the entertainment of an eternity. Who so poor in his ambitions as to consent to be God on those terms?

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on January 8, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Plenty of believers think the theory of evolution is valid. Nothing says God couldn’t oversee such a process.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:17 AM

RasThavas on January 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM

All right, that’ll be enough of that, you two.
Apparently ya’ll got way too much testosterone.

listens2glenn on January 8, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Think man, think. It will come to you.

RasThavas on January 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM

It’s the economy, stupid. Not Obama’s birth certificate. People talked about it, and yet his approval rating is is in the low ratings. By your logic, he should be up near 100%.

You need to start to thinking a little bit, and maybe stop kissing that Obama ass so much.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:40 AM

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Those believers are stupid as hell. Getting played by the Darwinists who want to discredit any possibliy of god via the evolution theory. :)

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Your reasoning is most uncoordinated.

Carthoris on January 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Which God?
The one I recognize and identify as God did it all in SIX (6) literal days.

listens2glenn on January 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

RasThavas on January 8, 2012 at 2:3

Shhhhh, I won’t tell him that you just complimented him, if you won’t. :-)

LazyHips on January 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I have no interest in persuading anyone. I was correcting your error regarding evolution.

You clearly do not understand the theory at all, and it has become obvious you have no interest in understanding it. Even a casual understanding of the concept of speciation would show you that the whole “cross-species” argument against evolution is bogus.

Cats don’t evolve into dogs, and no one has ever said they do.

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I suppose amongst the blind there wouldn’t be.

RasThavas on January 8, 2012 at 2:37 AM

And amongst those with eyes to see? Is there a single person who thinks Obama doesn’t have a US birth certificate? Is there any evidence for such a proposition?

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Chief Justice Marshall attended our first law school, carved from William and Mary in 1779, at which Jefferson stipulated the first required legal text, first imported from Europe by Benjamin Franklin in 1763, Vattel’s Law of Nations. Our pundits, including the voluble Mark Levin, are remarkably avoiding the most cited legal authority in American jurisprudence between 1792 and 1823, Law of Nations. We are learning that the establishment has many faces. The Constitution was an inconvenient truth.

The Senate hearings on McCain never decided anything. SB2678, Obama/McCaskill, Feb 2008, to make foreign born children of military citizens eligible faile. SR511, in which the two parent requirement was used to claim McCain, born somewhere in Panama when no sovereignty treaty had yet been signed, was natural born. A resolution is not actionable. It said we all appreciate all John McCain has done, and suffered, and would prefer not to address the precedent of Minor v. Happersett, so we won’t mention it. We think he should be thought of as natural born. But there must be an amendment.

McCain too was ineligible. That is why there was no vetting, in spite of dozens of letters to congresspersons requesting hearings, registered letters, ignored by legislators. Hillary was ready to go, and still is. The Republican establishment is counting votes, and, rather than face the truth of their perfidy, wants to run Marco Rubio, born to non-citizen parents to use the precedent their repudiation of the law has established.

Academia is too dependent upon the government to dare rock the boat. Even, sadly because the idea was attractive, the vaunted Hillsdale College completely skirts Marshall, Jefferson, Jay, Washington, Hamilton, Franklin, all proclaiming Vattel’s invaluable guidance, while expressing disdain for the ridiculous claim that we adopted British law, created first to protect the monarch (James Wilson) and having no functional constitution. Academia is first, a business, which knows its privileges depend upon government protections.

Carthoris on January 8, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Your reasoning is most uncoordinated.

Carthoris on January 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

You don’t strike me as a bright man, because anybody can attack and not elaborate.

Why don’t you go to bed if you are going to be pissy.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:44 AM

RasThavas on January 8, 2012 at 2:3

Shhhhh, I won’t tell him that you just complimented him, if you won’t. :-)

LazyHips on January 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

: )

listens2glenn on January 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Cats don’t evolve into dogs, and no one has ever said they do.

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Ok, I’m perfectly content with you being the salesguy for evolution. You don’t make any sense but then you say it’s a fact. You are a crackpot pushing junk science.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:46 AM

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:43 AM

His Johny come lately “birth certificate”, even if not a clear forgery, is extraneous.

Carthoris on January 8, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Which God?
The one I recognize and identify as God did it all in SIX (6) literal days.

listens2glenn on January 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Good for you. But many people don’t believe He did it this way, and since the gradual change suggested by the fossil record tracks at least somewhat closely with the DNA record, they tend to suspect that this particular part of the Bible is not meant literally.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Carthoris on January 8, 2012 at 2:46 AM

1. Do you have evidence it is a forgery?
2. What do you mean, “Extraneous”. If not a forgery, then what more is there to discuss?

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:46 AM

You must not be Catholic or you would know of John Paul II and his “crackpot” thoughts on Darwinian and his Theory of evolution.

Carthoris on January 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM

What’s so great about evolution is the believers never have to prove it. But they will insult you if you say it’s nonsense. No doubt allowed, it’s their religion.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Why don’t you go to bed if you are going to be pissy.
Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:44 AM

FINE, I WILL.

Wait a minute . . . . were you talking to that other guy?

Aw nuts with it, I NEED to go to bed.

Night all.

listens2glenn on January 8, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Carthoris on January 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM

I’m not a Christian at this point, but I never been a big fan of popes in general. I think Protestants have the right of it, that the bible is the word of god, not some man who many people treat as though he is god.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Night all.

listens2glenn on January 8, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Nite L2G ;-)

LazyHips on January 8, 2012 at 2:51 AM

1. Do you have evidence it is a forgery?

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:48 AM

This guy gets more worked up about people questioning Obama’s birth certificate than he does Obama.

Why don’t you go to bed if all you going to do is whine about what people talk about on here? It’s a free country, so stop trying to control topics on some comment board.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Which God?
The one I recognize and identify as God did it all in SIX (6) literal days.

listens2glenn on January 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

If it took God 6 days to create the earth then how long did it take him to create the moon? The sun? Mars? Venus? Jupiter? And so on. You can fit 1 million earths inside the sun. That means that if it took 6 days to create the earth then at that rate it took 6 million days or approximately 16438 years to create the sun.

The star VY Canus Majoris is the largest known star in the observable universe. 9.2 billion of our suns can fit inside VY Canus Majoris. The time it must taken for God to create VY Canus Majoris measures into millions of years and it’s only the largest star we can see. Since we know that there are billions of stars in the observable universe and the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate, that means there are billions of VY Canus Majoris that we can not see. It stands to reason that God is a very busy right now but leave a message and he’ll get back to us once the stelliferous age of the universe is over.

Carthoris on January 8, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I don’t see how any Christian can’t see that Darwinism is about undermining the possiblity of God.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:55 AM

What’s so great about evolution is the believers never have to prove it.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Sure they do. While anything can be dismissed as not “absolute” proof, the evidence is that if you look at the fossil records, and then look at the different species and the order that they occur, you see that the DNA changes in a manner at least roughly consistent with the theory. I.e., if species A follows B follows D etc, all the way down to Z, in order, and then also species A is very similar to B, which in turn is similar to C, etc, in the same sequence, then you have evidence that is much more consistent than the theory that species appeared either at random or all at once. In this sense, the theory of Evolution has predictive power – from the fossil record, you can predict which animals have similar DNA, and vice-versa. Your predictions of the DNA similarities will not be perfect, but they will be much better than someone who does not have the fossil record on hand.

This is the test of a scientific theory – predictive power.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:58 AM

The fossil record doesn’t support evolution theory. That’s the biggest lie of them all, brother.

What’s your scentific background? A degree in liberal arts?

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Wait, is the guy that was whining about me talking about evolution talking about evolution now? Oh no, this guy must be nuts!

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Asking for evidence of a rather outlandish statement = getting worked up?

I’m not trying to control anything, and certainly have no problem with the discussion.

It’s a free country, so stop trying to control peoples’ bedtime.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 3:01 AM

1. Do you have evidence it is a forgery?

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 2:48 AM

If you’ve seven minutes of your life to spare, I recommend watching this.

If viewing that deconstruction doesn’t make you go hmmm, when it comes to the validity of the “document” that was posted on WH servers on 27 April 2011, then perhaps nothing will.

Flotsam Jetsome on January 8, 2012 at 3:02 AM

What I want is for the Darwinists to give me the name of one species and the name of the other species that it evolved into, and give me proof that this happened. You should have numerous examples that you can provide if evolution is true. Make me a beleiver.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Asking for evidence of a rather outlandish statement = getting worked up?

It’s a free country, so stop trying to control peoples’ bedtime.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 3:01 AM

You are the whiner that brought up the birth certificate in the first place.

Why don’t you brown nose Obama on some other website. That’s what you are interested in.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 2:55 AM

I can’t see how anyone can think the theory of evolution undermines the possibility of God. How could the universe have just randomly happened with the elements and physical laws and circumstances all leading to such a curious process taking place naturally over billions of years?

It is odd that believers have not seized upon evolution as proof of the existence of God.

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 3:06 AM

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 3:06 AM

I don’t see why you can’t make a convincing case for evolution if it’s scientific fact. It shouldn’t be that difficult.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:07 AM

All I want is proof that x species evolved into y species.

We always told evolution is true but Darwinists seem short on details.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:08 AM

ps. Mr. Paul is awesomely nothing. But he’s fun in debates…

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 8, 2012 at 1:42 AM

“No, cut 5 agencies! You want to cut 5!”

“The EPA! Cut the EPA!”

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I know that the urge to peg all voters as either fish or fowl is overwhelming. As my fellow Texans can attest, I have been saying that our Governor, Rick Perry, should just come on home for weeks.

And I admire him. And will greet him with a salute. He is a good American Patriot. Glad he’s my Gov.

Sgt. Vulcha

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 8, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:07 AM

What you define as a “convincing case” is impossible, since the one you are talking about convincing is you.

You clearly do not even understand the theory, and you clearly have no interest in how it actually works.

You are a True Believer determined to belittle the theory and anyone who recognizes it is true because you think it undermines the case for God.

You are exactly the kind of person Huntsman should have stuck to insulting instead of going after global warming ‘deniers,’ too.

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 3:15 AM

First, Obama is an illegal and illegitimate president and always has been. Second, Obama is a criminal and has committed numerous acts both before and since taking office that can be classified as felonies. Third, Obama is clearly intent upon tearing our nation apart, brick by brick, and as he does so, is tearing up the constitution for good measure. Fourth, de facto if not de jure, Obama isn’t an American and never has been, and he hates the republic of our founders. It isn’t good enough to withhold support; each of us must actively oppose Obama in every way that we can.

Carthoris on January 8, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Seems like Perry ought to stick it out through South Carolina. Red State has dedicated their website to making him our nominee so he’s owe them at least that.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Does Hotair allow discussion of Obama’s birth certificate?

Did you get banned from that site or something, you seem obsessed with it and bring it up over and over in your posting.

Rapunzel on January 8, 2012 at 3:17 AM

If you’ve seven minutes of your life to spare, I recommend watching this.

Flotsam Jetsome on January 8, 2012 at 3:02 AM

I just saw that. And you’re right, it did make me go hmm. So I Googled to see if anyone else had looked into this.

National Review debunked this the very same day it appeared. But who knows, maybe they’re in on the conspiracy.

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 3:18 AM

fadetogray on January 8, 2012 at 3:15 AM

The problem you , and Huntsman have, is I’m a mechanical engineer.

He’s a rich kid’s son who never earned anything on his own. I could care less what he thinks about anybody.

You can’t provide proof for your precious evolution theory, so you attack me as religious, although, I’m not religious. I understand how Darwinists work. You are just like the global warming alarmists. You don’t think anybody can question your theory. You call it Science and say end of discussion. That’s not how it works, brother.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:19 AM

No, I saw Erick Erickson call Rick Santorum a “pro-life statist”. That was linked to on this website.

I think that’s such nonsense.

I don’t care about the birther thing but I thought it was amuusing Erickson was banning people from his website who talked about it.
I never have liked that guy for some reason.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Dire Straits was here..:)

Dire Straits on January 8, 2012 at 3:24 AM

You are the whiner that brought up the birth certificate in the first place.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:04 AM

“Whiner”? Please. I didn’t know anyone actually took this Birther nonsense seriously here anymore. I would think mentioning it along with the Truther and Trig-gate conspiracies would make it clear that it was a joke about threads getting derailed. I didn’t realize I was going to upset the new kids.

Where on earth did you get the whole “whining” business anyway? Is this your word for “Not agreeing with Dr. Tesla?”

RINO in Name Only on January 8, 2012 at 3:24 AM

I think that’s such nonsense.

I never have liked that guy for some reason.

Dr. Tesla on January 8, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Sounds to me like you are grinding an ax here. Just because someone says something you don’t like is no reason for a jihad against them in every post you make.

Rapunzel on January 8, 2012 at 3:26 AM