Video: “Obama is going to laugh” at Romney, says Newt

posted at 6:55 pm on January 6, 2012 by Tina Korbe

This is a candidate that is not easily cowed. Never mind his fourth-place finish in Iowa and never mind Mitt Romney’s successful hammering of his non-lobbying lobbying and less-than-stellar personal past. Newt Gingrich remains convinced that one of the remaining non-Mitts in the race will emerge as “the conservative alternative” and the majority of the GOP base will rally around that candidate. If not, Gingrich said, Obama will “laugh” at Romney.

Unfortunately, the scenario Gingrich spells out isn’t implausible. What would prevent Obama from reminding voters that he created Obamacare based on the blueprint Romney provided? Then again, how exactly would Obama spin that as a bad thing if he wants to tout Obamacare as an accomplishment? Either way, the issue of Obamacare is effectively dead for electoral purposes if either Romney or Gingrich is the nominee. Let’s not forget Gingrich has supported an individual mandate in the past, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Spinning again are you? Remember McCain was running. You may want to refresh your sources and post the “rest of the story”, LOL

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

No. Rush actually said the words “full spectrum conservative” and pointed out that Romney was it.

Levin supported Romney also, but I don’t think he went so far as to use the words “full spectrum conservative”.

The point is that if Romney had changed his opinions like that (with or without good reason for it) they would all be calling him a huge flip flopper for the millionth time.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM

So unfair. A majority of the nation is laughing at all the GOP candidates in their mad scramble to determine who will get crushed in the election. But they’ll find out come November.

Constantine on January 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Rush is a flip flopper.

BTW, if he thought Romney wasn’t conservative he could’ve either 1) not endorsed or 2) said Romney was more conservative than McCain so we should nominate him…..but he didn’t.

sheryl on January 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

No, sheryl, he naturally wouldn’t come out and say what I guess you would have wanted him to say. Rush is something of a cheerleader and he wanted to fire up the base. But he did explain today what his reasoning was back then, and he made no bones about it.

I think also there’s the important point that the two last years of watching our country crumble under a radical president and Senate really does make a difference. The changes in our country over that time require that we have someone who can articulate conservative positions in a bold way. Romney just doesn’t have that talent. I wish he did, since it looks like he’ll be our candidate.

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

A lot of folks are forgetting that Mitt had a target on his back during the first 4 or 5 debates. He deftly swatted down every arrow, hurting most shooters & looking presidential the whole time.

itsnotaboutme on January 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Rush is a flip flopper.

sheryl on January 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

You mean how he used to whine when folks called him fat, but now he makes fun of others’ imperfect bodies & faces?

itsnotaboutme on January 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Well Santorum isn’t the biggest fan of the Tea Party movement.

sheryl on January 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM

True enough, sheryl. And sometimes I read this blog and watch Fox and look at our candidates and just wonder whether the whole Tea Party movement is dead–a momentary flash that came and went.

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Nice rebuttal, thanks:-) Terrye is a Romney supporter from way back.

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Tina,

I trust you know that the individual mandate is not the only bad part of OC and in my opinion not even in the top ten worst things in the bill. It is the government controls of the private marketplace that make OC a disaster.

Individual mandates have ZERO to do with the economy, its a freedom issue only. No corporation is not hiring because an individual would be taxed individually if they didn’t have insurance. I would also say – as a staunch conservative – that it is a bogus issue if the right of choice is not coupled with the heir responsibility of choice.

Ask all the conservatives if they would repeal mandatory free care for 75K earning single men who showed up at the emergency room without insurance and no funds to cover service. If they are honest, they won’t.

And therefore they believe the government can enslave a doctor and force him/her to work for free under threat of their liberty or property.

MarkCasper on January 6, 2012 at 8:39 PM

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Read the “rest of the story” that I referred to that Burke posted below.

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Constantine on January 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Not quite. In a Gallup poll just one week ago, a majority of Americans said the views of the GOP candidates were closer to their own views, and rated Barack as holding views to the furthest extreme from their own. The nation isn’t laughing at all. They are anxiously waiting for a GOP nominee so they can vote for him. Right now, a majority think that’s going to be Romney, and they’re quite happy about that.

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I listened to Rush today also – doesn’t change the fact that he actually called Romney a “full spectrum conservative” meaning that he is flip flopping.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Nice rebuttal, thanks:-) Terrye is a Romney supporter from way back.

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Sure, bluefox, I know Terrye. I’ve been reading her comments for years. I imagine she and sheryl and Petunia are ecstatic since HotAir had its double registration and so many Rush-haters and moderates have been allowed in. This blog is like Grand RINO Central now.

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I respectfully disagree.

Mitt’s message is pitch perfect for the times. Believe in America

His strategy to draw distinction with Obama wanting to turn America into an entitlement based society versus Mitt wanting to keep America a merit based society is exactly the debate we should be having.

And Mitt has the perfect resume for that.

All of other candidates are creatures of government:

Rick Perry 26 years in gov’t
Ron Paul 23 years in gov’t
Newt Gingrich 20 years in gov’t plus his years after lobbying
Huntsman 14 years in gov’t
Santorum 12 years in gov’t plus his time lobbying around Washington.

Mitt has only spend 4 years in government. For 25 years he rescued ailing enterprises and the majority to the good. And he did it fast too!

As a fiscal conservative Republican I want a private sector champion to go to Washington and fix it.

Mitt has the skill, executive leadership & talent to do it.

sheryl on January 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Here’s my feeling:

No one can beat Obama.

So the only joy I will get next election will be watching Obama get eviscerated in the debates.

And for that Newt’s the man.

All respect to Romney, who’s no worse than any other current candidate, but Newt is right.

Johnny 100 Pesos on January 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Yeah, all those RINO’s who are supporting the guy that the true believer conservatives Levin, Rush, Ingram, etc. told them to vote for in 2008 (Romney).

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Hey Newt, say hi to Jimma Cawtour for me RINO.

JustJP on January 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Johnny 100 Pesos on January 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM

You are forgetting that Mitt had a target on his back during the first 4 or 5 debates. He deftly swatted down every arrow, hurting most shooters & looking presidential the whole time.

You are forgetting that cranky, doddering old John McCain held his own with Obama in the debates.

itsnotaboutme on January 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Written like a true ditto-head.
Like Rush, you lump everyone who disagrees with you into contemptible categories.
Millions of people disagree at times with you & Rush, yet are not liberals, Rush-haters, moderates, or RINOs.

itsnotaboutme on January 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Mitt has the skill to do it.

sheryl on January 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

You nailed it, all right. That’s his purported appeal to the broad middle. He’s Mr. Fixit Man, a capitalist technocrat with good business skills. And I admit that I myself admire those qualities, sheryl. But I think our times require a leader who can forcefully articulate conservative principles, not just run companies well. As Sowell writes, Mitt’s background makes him ideally suited to run a big company–but not to be our president.

And where was Romney while Obama and Reid were hammering our country to bits, blow by blow? Sarah spoke up confidently while Mitt put his finger to the wind and mainly lay low. He’s too timid.

I don’t think Romney likes the base. He doesn’t understand the base. Why on earth is he defending what he did in Massachusetts? I mean, what he did there in contributing to the bankruptcy of that state is a crime, yet he defends it by telling us it’s what the people wanted. Shame on him.

In the end, like Doughboy commented earlier today, I hope to God that Mitt is a “stealth candidate” who appears moderate and inconsequential, but once in will surprise us all. My gut tells me it won’t happen, but I can dream, can’t I?

ABO/2012

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Constantine on January 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

YAY DECLINE!

tom daschle concerned on January 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

ABO/2012

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

If he wants a consequential presidency, a presidency that matters, that is exactly what he’ll do. I hope for that, too. I hope that Romney is smart enough to know that, once in office, he can be Reagan or he can be GWB, and I hope that being Reagan looks a whole more attractive to him.

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Actually, Romney opposed Obamacare from the beginning, while Newt only decided he didn’t like it sometime after he started his campaign.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

“Obama’s mean ideology rating four years ago was 2.5, essentially the same as now, and he was perceived to be slightly more liberal (with a score of 2.2) immediately before the election. Americans’ own ideology ratings in December 2007 (3.2) and October 2008 (3.3) were essentially the same as now, and closer to John McCain’s (3.4 in December 2007 and 3.7 in October 2008) than Obama’s.”

There’s more to polls than just numbers, it seems.

Constantine on January 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM

That’s a perfect example, 1punchWill, of the way Mitt can hold a moderately “correct” position (in this case, being against Obamacare) for the wrong reason (not because it’s governmental overreach but because of a technical states’ rights quibble) and in a dovishly soft way that never convinces (nobody believes he’ll work to completely dismantle Obamacare; they just believe he’ll offer fifty separate exemptions). He doesn’t drive the message. He sits in the middle, a moderate– half there and half not.

As for Newt, well, he hasn’t been particularly strong these last two years as a conservative champion, either, and that’s a mark against him. However, in the debates, he showed he understood the broad ideological conflict that’s occurring, and he articulated that well. And when he was Speaker, he showed he could act in a combative and powerful way to reverse an entire ideological trend (as Reagan did). Mitt is a Fixit Technocrat, and that’s not enough.

However, your points are stated well and they’re well taken, and if I didn’t make it clear earlier, I’m ultimately for ABO/2012.

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Johnny 100 Pesos on January 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM

itsnotaboutme on January 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Itsy, you are very very right, but I don’t want a candidate swatting arrows or holding his own, I want them to eviscerate Obama.

I believe that Obama will win because his fans in the media will control our voice while palinizing the better candidate (although hopefully the internet will help democracize the media). The only place I can hope to get our voice heard is in the debate, and in that arena, I feel Newt is strongest.

Johnny 100 Pesos on January 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM

With 54% of the electorate against it?

I don’t think so.

Tim_CA on January 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Oh, does Obama want to repeal it too?

Ronnie on January 7, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Oh, does Obama want to repeal it too?

Ronnie on January 7, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I couldn’t disagree more.

Mitt has NOT walked away from Romneycare…..the blueprint for Obamacare. Now he wants to repeal it? Obama is going to hammer the crap out of Romney for this…..mark these words.
Supporting is an “subjective” view…which one can walk away without to MUCH damage. However…..signing into LAW is “objective”.. set into stone that affects lives, now that is hard to walk away from without being slayed. Mitt..has NOT walked from this law he enacted and basically he can’t. Again, he will repeal Obamacare but not Romneycare?
Obama is going to have a field day with this….frothing at the sides of his mouth.

coach1228 on January 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Written like a true ditto-head.

itsnotaboutme on January 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

@@Burke:

I think the arrow just got the RINO between the eyes.
Love how they squeal like pigs when you nail them.
Good post Burke!!

coach1228 on January 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

May I remind you that his 4 years in Government is NOT by his choice. REPLAY…1994…a 15 point loss to Ted Kennedy for Mass Sentate seat.

A loss PUT his tail back into the private sector.
He has been running for A Government position for 18 years….and won only one position…and that be it for 4 years…with a 30% approval rating when he “retired”.

Sounds like a winner to me…NOT!

coach1228 on January 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Lets not forget Mitt loves to have the government pay for abortions.
mitt is unelectable. In the primary and in the GE.

boogaleesnots on January 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM