Video: Mother with a gun

posted at 9:15 pm on January 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Fox News Insider, drop what you’re doing and spend four minutes having your mind blown by the preternatural poise of a teen mom confronted in her home by a would-be killer. I’ve read a bunch of stories this week about what happened to her, including Rich Lowry’s piece today at NRO (from which I’m stealing the headline), but nothing will prepare you for hearing her explain in her own words how coolly she assessed the situation. Bear in mind, she’s 18 years old, her husband died of cancer just one week earlier, and she had not one but two lunatics attempting to break down her door and do who knows what. And yet: “I knew if I screamed I would give my position away in the house. And I wanted to see him first.” Unbelievable.

Exit quotation: “Female participation in target shooting in the U.S. has nearly doubled in the last decade, growing to nearly five million women since 2001.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

A shotgun is a messy tool to dispatch an intruder with. I hope she had help with the clean up, chunks on the wall and stuff.

Norky on January 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Borking.

You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Hello Inigo! :-)

Lammo on January 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Try “boinking.” I mean try using the word, not try boinking. It has a sort of a funsex ring to it, dontcha think?

Akzed on January 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

txag92 on January 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Because she loved him.

He taught her how to shoot to defend herself, by the way. Without him, there wouldn’t have been a child to defend and the woman wouldn’t have known how to defend herself.

Good on Mr. McKinley for fathering a son, loving his mate, and preparing her for this day.

Random on January 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM

She has a lot of trouble ahead. Revenge by the 2nd perp and others looking to break in.

Kissmygrits on January 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

You really think that? Considering that she’s armed and has already killed one assailant (and the other got lucky)? That’s the whole freakin point of the right to keep and bear arms — self defense, including against a tyrannical government, but I digress.

gryphon202 on January 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

This is the true meaning of GUN CONTROLL at its finest.

In times like this, the truth about 911 is that it is nothing more than a prayer line, not a help line. When death is seconds away, the police are minutes away. In this case, I think they said the police arrived in about 7 minutes. That is pretty fast but not fast enough.

Also, since the accomplice is, or should be charged with 1st degree murder, how is he out on bail, if he really is?

woodiebob on January 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Random on January 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM

this.

Coolidge_Conservative on January 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

What, no Swedish Chef from the Muppets fans here?

“Bork bork bork”

pseudonominus on January 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

What, no Swedish Chef from the Muppets fans here?

“Bork bork bork”

pseudonominus on January 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

DOH! I forgot that one last night…

Bunsin2 on January 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Norky on January 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Hell NO.

Make his surviving buddy (partner in crime) go back and do that.

listens2glenn on January 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Kissmygrits on January 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Second perp turned himself in and has been charged with murder for being involved in a crime in which someone was killed. I live in Oklahoma where this happened, none of that mamby pamby crap here. We’re not perfect, but pretty good on justice.

msupertas on January 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM

“We’re going to bork him. We’re going to kill him politically … This little creep, where did he come from?” – Florynce Kennedy, Fem Activist on the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Supreme Court. Thomas was subsequently confirmed after one of the most divisive confirmation hearings in Supreme Court history.

“To defame or vilify (a person) systematically, esp. in the mass media, usually with the aim of preventing his or her appointment to public office; to obstruct or thwart (a person) in this way.” – Bork, Borking From the Oxford English Dictionary under US Political slang

NTxOkie on January 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Norky on January 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM

At the distance she shot him I’m guessing that the spread wasn’t too bad (he was DOA).

A shotgun really is the best defense weapon for this situation (not a highly trained shooter with many distractions (baby, dispatcher, etc). Assuming she was not using buck shot there is also minimum danger for secondary victims. I’m always amazed at how many times an excited person can unload a full pistol magazine and yet not even hit the target.

Bunsin2 on January 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Kissmygrits on January 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Because breaking into her home worked so well the last time…

Bunsin2 on January 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM

essequam on January 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Lighten up, Frances. It’s an old joke.

John the Libertarian on January 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Criminals are lazy and cowardly, they do not tread on well defended ground. She’ll have no troubles from the criminal element. Potential suitors may be a different issue.

ray on January 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM

And by the way, I don’t believe in heaven, but if there is one, I think Mr. McKinley has as much a shot of being there as his critics on this thread.

Married man whose widow loves him to bits, and who spent part of his life creating — and teaching his wife to defend — their family.

Just the sort of thing God hates.

/sarc

Random on January 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I have nothing but admiration for this young lady. She displayed outstanding state of mind in handling this situation. So impressive!

Urban Infidel on January 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM

She did the right thing. Someone with a knife can be on you from 15 feet away in a heartbeat. You can’t necessarily rely on a gun to deter them, although a double barreled shotgun would be one of the better options to create fear.

I had a similar thing happen about three years ago. A drunken meth-head kicked in our front door at 2 in the morning the night before Christmas Eve. I greeted him with a Glock 31c with a light on the rail and loaded with 15 rounds of Winchester Ranger T. The only thing that saved him was that he just stood there with his hands his pockets (it was below zero outside) and didn’t move. If he had made any sudden move I would have automatically put 3 rounds in him. I remember thinking how comical he looked for some reason.

I backed him on to the porch and tried to get my wife to dial the phone, but she was in shock and couldn’t move to do anything, so I had to get the phone and dial 911 myself. He took the opportunity to flee, but given the hour and that I live in a small town and that there was 2 feet of snow on the ground and it was below zero, I figured he wouldn’t get far. 5 minutes later the police had him and another unit showed up at my house. They brought him by; I identified him, filled out a statement, shored up the broken door with a long 4×4 and went back to bed. I got in another 3 hours sleep before work. The police and I both agreed that it had been a good night. No one was killed, and the perpetrator was in custody.

The only thing that saved him was that he didn’t make any sudden moves, and that after 12 years in the Army and some other things I was well aquatinted with violence. I tend to get my weapon and evaluate the situation for options. I guess I’m just getting old or maybe it’s all the hunting I do, but I barely got an adrenaline rush. As it happened my wife was happy because she got a nice new front door out of the deal. If I had shot him in the living room, she would have wanted to move, and I really like the old house we’re in.

This woman did what was best in her situation, given someone with a knife and the fact there was more than one of them, and that she was in a remote location. Hopefully she’ll learn to live with the psychological effects of what she’s done. With her husband just dying and now his she’s got a lot to deal with. I suspect she’ll get through OK, though.

claudius on January 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM

ray on January 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM

You better be ready to man up. This woman does not suffer deadbeats very well. Good for her and good for the man that measures up. I have a feeling that her baby will be just fine. No need for government help in her house.

LeftCoastRight on January 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

claudius on January 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I suspect she will do just fine. I’ve seen the type a bit. I grew up in a family of survivors: from the time we could walk we were taught “it is what it is, and you do what you have to do”. I believe that is where she is.

Yoop on January 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM

My son turns 18 in April. If he were to marry a 58 year old woman I’d find that to be sickening.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Think Demi Moore.

Solaratov on January 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Good thing this young woman doesn’t live in Massachusetts. If she did, she would probably be in jail, like Anthony McKay of Swamscott, MA. McKay confronted a punk armed with a knife and night stick who was trying to break into his truck. A fight ensued. McKay dropped the punk, breaking his jaw in the process. McKay now faces felony criminal assault charges – and up to 5 years in prison.

Why is the DA pushing this case? Because they want to send the message loud and clear. As a Swampscott police spokesman put it: “We don’t urge anybody to (fight back). We want them to call us.”

BRunner on January 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM

WHAT’S REALLY GOING ON!!

Girl shoots 1st Perp. He’s dead before he hit the floor. The 2nd Perp (fat guy in a little coat) turned himself in. IN OKLAHOMA when someone (anyone) is harmed/killed in the commission of a felony, the perp can be charged for the death. Fat guy perp is being charged with Murder 1 for the death of his accomplice. The DA/Police are looking for pre-meditated burglary evidence because that will make the murder charge stick. Either way this guy’s goin in for all day. He probably won’t get the needle but he’ll never see the light of day again.

lm10001 on January 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Sarah McKinley is…..one of…..

Sarah’s People.

KirknBurker on January 7, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Good for her but why on God’s green earth was she married to a 58-year-old with whom she had been living for three years. That is just wrong.

txag92 on January 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Maybe they loved each other.

Yes the age difference is quite large, but the fact he tought her how to shoot could be a sign he really did care for her.

KirknBurker on January 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM

BigSven likee woman

Maybe BigSven go to Oklahoma

Woman need BigSven at a time like this.

BigSven on January 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Arizona does provided the land is properly posted. If you enter posted land it is assumed you are up to no good. Most of my neighbors when they come to visit beep the horn several times to let us know they are entering the property (actually something we all do).

chemman on January 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM

You’re gonna meet him

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Dr Evil on January 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

My husband is an older guy. A FORTY year age difference is more than ‘older’.-

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Have you ever been to Oklahoma? We were stationed there in the late 90s. The rural parts of Oklahoma are full of rural people.

I went to the marriage of a 15 year old in Alabama to a 24 year old. She got her parent’s permission to marry. I told them, I didn’t think it was a good idea, she was in 10th grade. She threatened to run off with the guy to Georgia, if they didn’t cave in. I told them, look he takes a minor over state lines, that’s transporting a minor over state lines to engaging in underage sexual activity I am pretty sure the FBI has a remedy for that. These folks just caved, and gave her their permission in writing….yeah they had a rural background. She ended up divorced with in the year, and thankfully there were no children from the marriage to suffer from the divorce. She went back to school, and later married again, and did start a family. Playing House is not the same as Keeping House.

More than likely this young woman’s parent’s signed off on the marriage so they could get married. Looks like they are still observing the social niceties of marrying and then having children afterwards.

How many unwed teenage mothers does this country produce daily? How many of them were impregnated by older men? You would be surprised by the answer.

Dr Evil on January 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM

If there’s grass on the field… play ball!

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

OK. Seriously??!!

Thats it. I’m out. Some of you who consider yourselves “Conservative” are truly screwed up. I’m disgusted.

This country is in serious trouble.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

lol reading comprehension fail

cptacek on January 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Wow – people have been busy since I left last night. Apparently if KMC1 gets his way, because of being borked neither Sarah nor her deceased husband can ever be on the Supreme Court. /s

As I said last night, Sarah did a great thing, and her personal life and perfectly legal marriage is none of anyone else’s business. If you have a problem with it, then you should also be going after Hugh Hefner, Morgan Freeman, Woody Allen, and many others out there who have dated and/or married significantly younger girls.

Thanks to her having been married to the guy before he died, she will probably be in good shape financially (life insurance, social security survivor benefits, pension, etc) to raise her baby. Perhaps that was her husband’s intent from the start.

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I am deeply in love with Sarah McKinley! I wish her well.

Make no mistake, the Second Amendment is the ultimate woman’s issue.

I also like how she gifted the world with one less Obama voter.

formerACLUmember on January 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I also like how she gifted the world with one less Obama voter.

formerACLUmember on January 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

LOVE IT!!!!

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Bunsin2 on January 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

The reason my nightstand protection holds 16 rounds. I agree that a shotgun is the best defense though, a pump shotgun. Perhaps I should keep one in the closet.

Norky on January 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I also like how she gifted the world with one less Obama voter.

formerACLUmember on January 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Post of the day.

Norky on January 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The difference in age is a head scratcher…but, the age of consent in OK is 16 years old.

A lot of sanctimonious comments here.

Tracker3 on January 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Justin Bieber is creepy too, no matter what age he actually is. I think he must put subliminals in the music which make teenaged girls attracted to him, because it’s baffling why anyone, of any age, would like it or him.

Laura Curtis on January 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

My daughter’s whole Girl Scout Troop hates him, except for one girl. When they had their Christmas party, everyone brought the Justin Bieber crap their grandparents mistakenly gotten them for her. It was pretty funny!

Night Owl on January 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I hope to never hear a “the rest of the story” followup. Something is off here. I guess the fact she said the other guy called 911??!!? and she sounded well coached.

pc on January 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Another things that bothers me a lot is that the police respond with we are not going to apply charges to her. That terminology of “Not Apply Charges” sounds like, well we could if we wanted too. In cases of self-defense I think it should be policy the cops have to say “She did nothing wrong there is no crime here.” “Not apply charges” almost makes you think that she committed a crime but the police have decided that it’s most likely defense and were going to forgo a trial that would most likely end end in that sentence.

That’s whats wrong with how people perceive the law these days; Murder is not the killing of a person. If that were the case every Soldier that kills would be a murderer. Murder is wrongful killing. Killing in self-preservation, preservation of others is never wrongful. No crime. No wrong. Tired of these legaleeze PooPoo.

LordJack on January 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

pc on January 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Well if your friend just got shot and you like him/her even if you just committed a crime and are probably drunk/high wouldn’t you at least call 911 to get an ambulance. That’s the most likely explanation; Occam’s razor. Given the undisputed evidence what makes the most sense to explain that circumstance? Someone wants those bullet holes fixed.

LordJack on January 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Norky on January 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Yep thats about my setup. I still looking for a good laser attachment for the .40 though.

Bunsin2 on January 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM

LordJack on January 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Yea that’s one of the first things I noticed about this too. It must be drilled into them never to declare anyone innocent of anything just in case…

Bunsin2 on January 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Norky on January 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I’d go with a flashlight attachment. It works better in several ways.

1. If you turn it on in the bad guys face then he can’t see.
2. Just shoot at the brightest point of the flashlight. (get at least one with 60 lumens)
3. Get a flashlight attachment with a laser on it too for double awesomeness.

I have a flashlight attachment on my 40 cal HK, and a flashlight/laser attachment on my tactical shotgun with a forward grip with the pressure switch for the light duck taped on.

LordJack on January 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM

txag92 on January 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM

FIFY

Because that don’t matter none.

Bruno Strozek on January 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Remember the real meaning of “gun control”: being able to hit what you’re aiming at. :)

Moose Drool on January 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Believe.

hillbillyjim on January 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I’d go with a flashlight attachment. It works better in several ways.

1. If you turn it on in the bad guys face then he can’t see.
3. Get a flashlight attachment with a laser on it too for double awesomeness.

LordJack on January 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM

The flashlight may be useful in an infiltration type of situation (which is going to be a LEO’s thing, not six-pack Joe or anyone else.)

In a home invasion situation, giving your position away to your potential killer is not a bright idea. If your home is not TOTALLY pitch black, you’re better off letting the intruder get completely inside and away from his point of entry, and then send him to hell.

Gadgets are cool, but not always the best idea.

A laser sight for a shotgun? Why?

hillbillyjim on January 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM

“A laser sight for a shotgun? Why?”

In case the baddies are coming at you in a helicopter.

Random on January 7, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Sure hope I’m wrong, but I think the next attack on this girl will come in the form of some sort of smear campaign, waged by the usual leftist fools,hellbent on changing the Constitution.Chiefly the 2nd amendment.I wonder if there’s any kind of charitable organization set up for her and her son.I don’t have any kids,but I’m guessin that formula and diapers aren’t cheap.

falsecast on January 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I live 20 minutes from her. She lives in Blanchard, I live in Bridge Creek. She’s has suffered enough losing her husband. I’m proud to be an Okie.

Black Adam on January 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Gadgets are cool, but not always the best idea.

A laser sight for a shotgun? Why?

hillbillyjim on January 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM

1. I actually didn’t intend to get the flashlight with the laser at first but an Air Force security forces guy I worked with had a part-time job at a gun store and he sold me his. With the shotgun you really just need the flashlight, anywhere there is light is gonna be swish cheese. But with the laser or the light you basically don’t have to aim at all. A good reason for the laser though is if I want to use slugs. You can shoot around a corner and expose as little as possible.

2. I totally disagree. If you have a home invasion situation and it’s nighttime and you wake up. I have very good night sight eyes (20/20 visions as well), but if you wake up and hear something chances are your not going to see the person breaking in your home. It’s got a toggle switch you can click with one finger. You turn in on when you think you hear or see the person. You shine it in their face so they have no chance to see you. They are blinded. Then you fire having a increased vision.

3. Your an idiot if you just shoot at something in the pitch dark. If you have no idea what your shooting at you could kill your teenager who snuck out at night and tried to sneak back in. Always get positive identification before shooting. Joe six pack needs it more than anyone else because when your Joe six pack all you got is yourself. A cop is going into a dangerous situation with backup, and the military is doing night ops with at least a squad size element and has night vision goggles.

4. I live on the Mexican border. Several times I’ve heard sounds I didn’t like that woke me up and swept the house real quick. I ask you to wake up at 3am one morning, grab your pistol and try to move throughout your house and do a search without lights. I guarantee your going to trip and fall over furniture and your going to quickly realize if there was someone in the house every spot that’s pitch black and that you cannot see into is going to be very scary.

LordJack on January 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Kissmygrits on January 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

You watch too much TV…seldom, and I mean hardly ever, does “revenge” take place for something like this.

The “friend” has enough problems to deal with, mainly the cause of his partners death…and trying to keep out of jail.

right2bright on January 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM

and she sounded well coached.

pc on January 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Good grief…is it hard being stuck with a mind like that?
You should think about getting it removed.

right2bright on January 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Let’s review…

Gun control = accurate shooting

Dead felon = one less Democrat

Cherished wife = armed, trained widow

Rugged Individual on January 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM

“Police: No charges for woman who shot and killed intruder.”

I guess that news is recounted for the benefit of nanny statists and their ilk, who lack the intuition to identify a no-brainer situation and might be curious what the professionals decided to do about her. Because those kinds of decisions by authorities are a mysterious black box to folks who count on folks they deem experts, to do the adult thinking on their behalf.

rasqual on January 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM

A shotgun really is the best defense weapon for this situation .

Bunsin2 on January 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I agree that a shotgun is the best defense though, a pump shotgun.

Norky on January 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM

They’ve been out of regular production for thirty years, but I’m still partial to the Win M12.
Inside a residential structure, #4 shot would be my call. But I wouldn’t want the #00 to be too far out of reach, either.

Rugged Individual on January 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM

That sums up this thread perfectly.
VERY well put.

listens2glenn on January 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Rugged Individual on January 7, 2012 at 11:25 PMat

A 40 year age difference doesn’t scream ‘cherished wife’…it screams child married to ‘alter cocker’. That’s ‘dirty old man’ in Yiddish.
If your wife is young enough to be your GRAND daughter…you’re a dirty old man. I don’t care how much you supposedly love that person. That’s just SICK!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 8, 2012 at 5:49 AM

They loved each other and that’s good enough for me. What’s more, it sounds like he helped prepare her for life.

She’ll go on and find other love of whatever age. She sure as hell isn’t going to find it hard at the moment. The fact that they enjoyed a brief love together is a good thing. They have a child whom she obviously loves, as she loves the memory of her deceased husband.

You are such a busybody, twerp.

Random on January 8, 2012 at 6:46 AM

BRunner on January 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Actually, the reason McKay is facing this prosecution is because the Swamscott DA and police are all pigs. It is illegal in MA to defend yourself, your loved ones and your property. The MA sheeple like it that way.

woodNfish on January 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Another blogger I read posted that a fund was set up for her:

A fund has been set up in Sarah McKinley’s name. If you’re from the area, donations will be accepted by the Chickasha Bank and Trust at 1525 N. Council Road. If you’re not local but still want to help donations can also be mailed to P.O. Box 548, Blanchard, Oklahoma 73010.

Source

And, as a mother of two under the age of 5, no diapers and formula aren’t cheap.

And that’s your opinion. Doesn’t change the reality.

englishqueen01 on January 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM

englishqueen01 on January 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM

The reality is that a guy born in the early 1950′s was married to a girl born in the early 1990′s that he had lived with since she was around 15. The age difference between Woody Allen and his current wife’ Soon Yee Previn?’ is less than between this young lady and her late ‘husband’. We rightfully called Allen out on his behavior. The 58 year old was a predator who took advantage of a teenager’s vulnerable emotional state. He’s wasn’t noble. A Noble man of that age wouldn’t have known in the biblical sense-let alone Married-that girl.
A predator would’ve though.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Soon Yee Previn was also his adopted daughter, you nitwit.

She is 18. A legal adult. And he’s gone. It doesn’t matter one flying fig whether or not you think the relationship was creepy.

englishqueen01 on January 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM

The problem I have with the Woody Allen situation isn’t the age difference so much as the fact he was supposed to be looking out for her in a fatherly role, and seduction or falling in love as the case may be, is a huge conflict of interest at best. At worst, and more likely, it’s abusive of the trust inherent in that relationship.

But I don’t see Mr. McKinley in the same light at all — he was simply her suitor. He wasn’t raising her. And it looks like he outcompeted all the younger, fitter men she could have had, married her, fathered a child, and taught her how to defend herself and her child, and is remembered with love by her.

I have no problem with him or her at all. I’m an atheist, but God bless just the same, or simply, “You have my social approval for your love and family,” for what that is worth.

Random on January 9, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Never Ever try get between a woman and her child – gun or no gun. The maternal instinct is so strong.

MSGTAS on January 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM