Video: Mother with a gun

posted at 9:15 pm on January 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Fox News Insider, drop what you’re doing and spend four minutes having your mind blown by the preternatural poise of a teen mom confronted in her home by a would-be killer. I’ve read a bunch of stories this week about what happened to her, including Rich Lowry’s piece today at NRO (from which I’m stealing the headline), but nothing will prepare you for hearing her explain in her own words how coolly she assessed the situation. Bear in mind, she’s 18 years old, her husband died of cancer just one week earlier, and she had not one but two lunatics attempting to break down her door and do who knows what. And yet: “I knew if I screamed I would give my position away in the house. And I wanted to see him first.” Unbelievable.

Exit quotation: “Female participation in target shooting in the U.S. has nearly doubled in the last decade, growing to nearly five million women since 2001.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Lol…you think “some people” have “messed up moral compasses” but care not that a senior citizen was borking a 9th grader….and a whole host of “Conservatives” on here are actually defending that “right”.

Well, I guess you and I actually do have something in common then….some people DO have messed up moral compasses.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Seriously, still with the borking?

Bunsin2 on January 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM

So a senior citizen borking a little girl is ok in your book.

Good to know.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Borking.

You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

My problem is with the people who are defending a (senior citizen) “man’s right” to molest a 15 year old.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM

If there’s grass on the field… play ball!

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Nope, without hard birth dates, meeting dates and marriage dates, its just people saying years.

You started off with the wrong age for the baby, yet cling to other parts of the story that are even more nebulous in fact.

You choose to harp on the part of the story with the fewest facts to preach your moral views to others while being ignorant of the facts.

cozmo on January 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Show me a quote where I stated the child’s age incorrectly.

Until you do, I’m saying you are once again, blatantly lying.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I guess life with Rosie just ain’t what it once was.

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Jackson Browne reference?

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM

this makes me a bit more receptive to perhaps some day learning ho to use a gun!

ellifint on January 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Do it. You’ll never regret and might actually enjoy learning how to use one. They can be fun.

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM

It does not detract from this specific awesome action on this girls behalf, but admit it folks, if it was a 58 year old Hollywood actor marrying a teenager you’d be tarring and feathering them here in the comments section for its creepiness.
Boomer_Sooner on January 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Morgan Freeman IS creepy. And so is Woody Allen.
Laura Curtis on January 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Agreed. Point support, notated.

Boomer_Sooner on January 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Show me a quote where I stated the child’s age incorrectly.

Until you do, I’m saying you are once again, blatantly lying.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

You call her a “child”. A “little girl”.

Sorry to say, but she is neither.

I admit, I raised an eyebrow when I saw the age difference, but she was of the age of consent and says she loved him. He married her.

That’s better than many marriages you see between people of more “normal” age differences.

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I’m trying to give the young lady AND her late husband the benefit of the doubt.
When is her birthday? I don’t know either, so is there a chance her birthday is in january? February? Or even march?
If their marriage occurred immediatley after her sixteenth birthday, and her birthday is in february, then it’s easy to see how the local news sources would “age” their marriage at three years, AND it would still be legal (statutory rape free).

listens2glenn on January 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM

The gooooood stuff is prescribed for the decedent, and has to be destroyed when the patient dies. Mostly to prevent this kind of crap.

Sekhmet on January 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM

The place I work has a DEA license for analytical testing of schedule drugs and the proper destruction of the “good” stuff is highly regulated. I’m assuming that they end up flushing them to keep from having to go through all the paperwork and mass balance crap?

Bunsin2 on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I guess life with Rosie just ain’t what it once was.

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Jackson Browne reference?

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM

It was a follow up to this.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

C’mon. Fess up. You’ve been “borking” Rosie Palm since she was twelve.

predator on January 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

KMC1 on January 6, 2012

You are in obvious need of sex.

pseudonominus on January 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM

He’s got Rosie Palm and her five daughters. He’s gettin’ all he can handle.

Solaratov on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

If there’s grass on the field… play ball!

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

OK. Seriously??!!

Thats it. I’m out. Some of you who consider yourselves “Conservative” are truly screwed up. I’m disgusted.

This country is in serious trouble.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Self defense situations like this occur multiple times a week across the country, but the national news media ignores them. When ABC News picked up this one, they sounded shocked that something like this actually occurred.

The NY Media Bubble shields the editors from the realities occurring in the rest of the country. The self-defense blog that served as a single source for news stories across the country was sued by a Vegas newspaper, and thus was shut down. Shame, because that was the only single point of info for self-defense shootings.

jediwebdude on January 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I’m going to re-post your comment, because the media treatment of these self-defense incidents is a pet peeve of mine.

These stories only make the local news, who kind of have to report all major crimes. The national news has a blackout on these stories because they don’t want you to know that armed citizens are defending themselves everyday.

It makes me very angry. Last year in NYC, a robber killed several people in a pharmacy and it made national news. The national news never reported other stories from around the country, including my city, in which drug store employees saved their own lives by shooting and killing robbers.

juliesa on January 6, 2012 at 11:16 PM

This country is in serious trouble.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

There but for the grace of God, goes God.

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM

ZGMF_Freedom on January 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM

What about this?

Hueydriver on January 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Heh. As mentioned, folks figure the poor fellow is trying to recall the term “boink”, which I believe may have originated on the 80s “Moonlighting” series – or maybe it just popularized the usage, I dunno.

whatcat on January 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

‘Sam’ used it all the time on “Cheers”. That was the first time I ever heard it.

Solaratov on January 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Predator, my friend has been going to a shooting range for a couple of years now and LOVES it…she really wants me to come with her…I am seriously considering it…I grew up with a family who believed in gun rights, but wouldn’t allow any of us to use or own one…I’m a big girl now though and just need to get over it! Thanks for the encouragement!

ellifint on January 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

He’s got Rosie Palm and her five daughters. He’s gettin’ all he can handle.

Solaratov on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Copycat. ;)

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

HotAir’s turning in to Opera…

Who cares about what she went through, and how she survived.

idesign on January 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Show me a quote where I stated the child’s age incorrectly.

Until you do, I’m saying you are once again, blatantly lying.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

If it wasn’t you, it was some other equally ignorant nutball that ran with the wrong age of the baby to get everything else wrong.

Tell, ya’ what, for the sake of going back over three pages of comments, I even give you that one.

Now, you get to show me where you come to the conclusion the guy was “borking” a ninth grader. Or, using your own argument, you are a liar.

And lying to denegrate a woman who has, the the last few months, probably been through the three most traumatic events in her life.

cozmo on January 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM

What about this?

Hueydriver on January 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Now that’s creepy.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Looks like The Washington Post can’t…LOL

@AndrewwBreitbart

idesign on January 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

It’s not the Post’s fault that she’s continuing to whore out publicity on the coat tails of others.

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

KMC1,

Do you show the same outrage over inner city teens who have babies by fathers unknown? Does that outrage you? Do you wonder about the age of any of them? Does it register that many of them don’t even bother to support the child, unlike this now deceased man?

Just wondering.

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Until you do, I’m saying you are once again, blatantly lying.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Calling someone a liar. The last refuge of a fool. And one who doesn’t have even a concept of the difference between “Borking” and “boinking”. There this thing called a search engine, they named it of all things Google. Anyway, if you type in google.com in that white space at the top of your computer screen and click on “go”, you’ll be able to find this search engine. Then, type in “borking” and click “go”. And,if you can read, you might learn the difference between the two terms.

TXUS on January 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Solaratov on January 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

That could’ve been the first usage, depending on the year, since they ran concurrently.

whatcat on January 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM

OK. Seriously??!!

This country is in serious trouble.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Um, I went with it having a serious dose of sarcasm, but then you’re a bit worked up. I really doubt that anyone here is advocating statutory rape. They are just pushing your buttons for jumping off the main story line.

Bunsin2 on January 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Pig.

I guess she’s not allowed to exercise her 1st Amendment rights.

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM

There but for the grace of God, goes God.

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Blammm!!! Good one. LOL.

TXUS on January 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Thanks for the encouragement!

ellifint on January 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

You’re welcome. Just start small. Try shooting something that’s not so powerful it will overwhelm or intimidate you. Grow into it.

I’ve fired a lot of guns. They’re all loud. But a .25 or .22 cal won’t have near the kick nor create near the noise that a .44 magnum with a six inch barrel will. Those things are like firing a cannon. *lots of fun though* :)

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Pig.

I guess she’s not allowed to exercise her 1st Amendment rights.

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Some nutballs are so full of hate, they will jump on anything.

cozmo on January 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Even if they were legally purchased and are owned by a third party? Wouldn’t that technically be destruction of personal property and possibly a felony given the cost of some medications. Now they could voluntarily give them up but?

Bunsin2 on January 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

The Hospice nurse removed all the narcotics from my mothers home after she passed also. Seems to be a standard procedure.

hawkdriver on January 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

She’ll most likely be getting SS checks for a good long time.

VerbumSap on January 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Rude. Taxpayers saved from keeping in jail and feeding a murderer. Look at it that way and I hope I’ve spared the h8rs. Thank God that she is alive, her throat was not slashed and the baby either stabbed to death, or kidnapped.

I guess people in this thread are now advocates for statistics.

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Also worth noting, the word “molest” implies an action “against the will” of one of the persons involved.

If they engaged in sexual intimacy prior to her sixteenth B-day, then I would concede that her late husband could have been charged with statutory rape. But if she’s a willing participant, then I would say it’s not molestation.

listens2glenn on January 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Well look who just crawled out of the gutter. Your bottle of MD 20-20 empty?

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Bunsin2 on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

My husband dumps the bottles out into a container of cleaner he finds under the sink. The idea here is more to ensure that it’s not easy to find, dig out of the garbage, and consume. He also flushes. And as I said, in at least one county, he does it all as the cops watch.

Most wives of 58-year-olds are 58-year-old ladies with their own health issues and vulnerabilities, and possibly with fewer guns at hand. If she doesn’t have the good stuff the morons presumably won’t come (nature here having built a better moron).

Sekhmet on January 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Blammm!!! Good one. LOL.

TXUS on January 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Honestly, I stole that from Winston Churchill (who said it in reference to a tee totalling vegetarian MP he disliked).

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Not all guns are loud…;)

cozmo on January 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Juliesa
As a matter of fact on Dec 23 I was at my ladies house, at midnight we heard someone spinning there tires. When we looked out they were coming down the road with something in there truck. Her house is the only house on the street, but there is a feed store about a half mile up the road. As these ppl drove by I popped a few at the dirt next to me. They bolted. The next day I went by the feed store and saw bags of fertilizer laying on the ground. I think they only got one bag because there was some on the ground. So I guess I ran them off.

angrymike on January 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Not all guns are loud…;)

cozmo on January 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I see what you did there.

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

This country is in serious trouble.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Nah. We’ve survived worse than you.

Solaratov on January 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I see what you did there.

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I deny any knowledge of how it happened.

cozmo on January 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM

hawkdriver on January 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Not that I wanted the perps to succeed but assuming she was not home and in danger it would have been eminently humorous if they had tried to get high on some of the non-narcotic medications he must have had around. Some of the side effects of overdosing would have been quite fitting.

Bunsin2 on January 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Copycat. ;)

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Great minds. ;-)

Solaratov on January 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

It’s rude to state the obvious. OK.

VerbumSap on January 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Heh lookie loo who’s having some fun, shootin’ for relaxation. First, coyotes…watch out! :)

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM

She’ll most likely be getting SS checks for a good long time.

VerbumSap on January 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

How utterly small of you. Then again, shame is something that I’m sure is beyond your grasp.

TXUS on January 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM

It’s rude to state the obvious. OK.

VerbumSap on January 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Is it bad? She and kiddo are entitled to it. Millions are too; some use it wisely and some gamble it all in one day. Seen that happen. Yep, SS is sure bonus to have some fun!/

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Well, DCG, you steal well, you steal well.

TXUS on January 6, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Bunsin2 on January 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I’m not one to do a lot of judging by appearance, but if you saw the fishing picture of the one that was killed, you’d believe it could happen.

hawkdriver on January 6, 2012 at 11:44 PM

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Ever seen The Music Man? Remember the part where all the town biddies are together for a gossip session singing the Pick, pick, pick, pick a lot, pick a lot song? Have you ever been in a Broadway musical? Just askin’.

a capella on January 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Well, DCG, you steal well, you steal well.

TXUS on January 6, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Well, I thank you, kind sir (or madam)!

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM

. . . . Some women’s groups are heralding McKinley as a woman who refused to become a victim in her own home.
I understand where they’re coming from, but not everyone is as cool and collected as Sarah McKinley. It’s natural to celebrate the successful defense of hearth and home. But for every gun-brandishing hero or heroine who blows away the intruder, there are many more that get shot with their own guns during a struggle.

Suzi Parker

Ms (Mrs?) Parker, you’re a typical contemporary IDIOT as pertains to individual responsibility, and rugged individualism.
Professional law enforcement can NEVER be anyone’s FIRST LINE of defense. They can only arrive on the scene “after the fact” to take a description and make a report, if any witnesses survived.

I defy the validity of whatever statistics you’re using to compare the number of successful uses of guns in the home for self defense, against the number of accidental injuries/deaths because of guns in the home.

listens2glenn on January 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Why did the judge bond this maggot out of jail? Half the people in Oklahoma probably want to shoot the fu**er.

What a relief that this young lady had so much poise and good sense…I’m glad that drug-addled piece of garbage is dead. Is there a collection to help her clean up her house and get the door replaced?

Jaibones on January 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM

It’s rude to state the obvious. OK.
VerbumSap on January 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM

But we’ve got to punish this girl somehow! It’s not just that she might receive SS…but…but…but she had S-E-X, too!!

whatcat on January 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Jaibones on January 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Sounds like a plan to me.
:D

whatcat on January 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM

a capella on January 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I see the fisher biddy is back again.

Bunsin2 on January 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM

One heartwarming aspect of this whole story: the invader’s fat, dimwitted accomplice (he was banging on the back door and didnt get shot) will get charged with murder, even though it was the girl who fired the gun because he didn’t stop his friend from breaking into the house. That is some legal awesomesauce.

bitsy on January 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM

God help her thru this tough time in her life.
It can’t be easy for any normal person to kill another, even when that was her only option to save her and her baby’s life. And that on top of grieving her husband. Makes me want to tuck her in for a long nap and take care of the baby until she is rested.

sablegsd on January 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM

More power to her. Odds are nobody else is gonna try her again: dead bad guys have a tendency to do that.

While I’m thinking about it:

Better argument for the 2nd Amendment? I think not.

Suck it, Holder.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Truer words never spoken, Sir.

DrScottMD on January 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM

hawkdriver on January 6, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I missed it but given the circumstances I doubt there was any danger of the two of them starting a Mensa club.

Bunsin2 on January 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM

They are just pushing your buttons for jumping off the main story line.

Bunsin2 on January 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Yes, Bunsin2, and thanks for having my back. Of course the age difference is creepy, but we have no idea what this girl’s backstory is, if she was fleeing an even worse situation at home, etc. All of which distracts from the main event — that she blew a man away trying to rob her castle.

John the Libertarian on January 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM

“bork this little girl”……..ohhhh you mean like Clinton this little girls, now its clear……

sbark on January 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I see the fisher biddy is back again.

Bunsin2 on January 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I was elated. Just a little wandering away from the path of majority opinion on such a simple topic yielded such a harvest of outrage. Cheer up, I don’t do it often,…we have much more serious business to attend to here at HA. Like the political threads where everyone has their favorite and calm reasoned dialogue rules the day..

a capella on January 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Well look who just crawled out of the gutter. Your bottle of MD 20-20 empty?

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Lol. Nice nick name. Are you this chick’s father by chance?

You-Eh-Vee on January 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM

My girlfriend is from Boston, and when I met her she had no experience with guns–didn’t like them, in fact. Me, I grew up in rural Indiana, and have had close familiarity with firearms from a very early age. She initially disliked guns in the house. And then her purse was forcibly stolen in the parking lot where she works in the city, ripped from her shoulder by a mugger, who luckily just ran off. That night she came home and asked me to teach her how to shoot.

I started her off on my best target pistol, a S&W Model 14-2 K38 Target Masterpiece, and then ran her through the gamut: revolver, small-caliber semi-auto, large caliber semi-auto, rifle, shotgun. After her carry license application was processed and approved, we went to a gun store, where she picked out a Ruger LCP and a Baretta Bobcat for personal carry, the Ruger in her purse and the Baretta in an ankle holster. She practices presentation and gets embarrassed when I catch her doing it.

She’s Annie Oakley now. My friends tease me about it, tell me it’s probably not a good idea to teach a hot-headed Boston Irish girl how to shoot as well as she does. We go to the range nearly every weekend when the weather’s nice enough. I love shooting, something I’ve done all my life. It’s different for her, she’s all business: very serious, very determined to improve, very teachable. I wouldn’t want to be the bad guy on the business end of her little Baretta. She doesn’t miss.

troyriser_gopftw on January 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Way to address my point.

Bitter Palin fan.

You-Eh-Vee on January 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM

You-Eh-Vee on January 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I’m disappointed, but not bitter. I’ll get over Sarah not running.

But you’ll still be a pig.

dukecitygirl on January 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Good for her. It’s nice to see a mature 18-year-old with a head on her shoulders instead of the usual party girl type.

As for her age and her husband’s age, until fairly recently, it was the norm for girls “coming out” when they’re 17 or 18 marrying men in their 30s or 40s or even older. Parents wanted mature men who could provide for a family for their daughters, not young boys just starting out. Once girls were of age, usually 13 or 14, they were eligible to marry. Only our modern trend of keeping kids ‘kids’ until they’re 30 changed that. I’ve known a number of girls who married much older men, it’s really not that unusual.

Read any literature or history from the 1900s on back or census and genealogy records. For example, Laura Ingalls Wilder mentions a friend in one of her books who married at 13. Many young women married widowed farmers to help work the farm and raise their children. Once you are grown up, you are supposed to be grown up, years between shouldn’t matter.

People shouldn’t judge. At least they were married, unlike so many teens who choose to ‘hook up’ and then get abortions.

Common Sense on January 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Life can be tough in rural areas, even in good times. Too bad, most of the guys her own age around there are probably similar to the one she shot.

S. D. on January 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Good for her but why on God’s green earth was she married to a 58-year-old with whom she had been living for three years. That is just wrong.

txag92 on January 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM

And none of your business.

katy the mean old lady on January 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I also applaud what she did- she’s a tough girl…but she’s my son’s age…and her late husband was practically old enough to have a child MY age. There’s 11 years between me and the Mister(41-52) and if there had been any more it would have been no-go because he would have been closer to my mother’s age than mine. In fact the 11 years still seem a lot sometimes. She did a brave thing with that weapon-but I’m sorry-an 18 year old married to a 58 year old is beyond creepy.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2012 at 1:16 AM

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I made no judgment. If you think mentioning that she’s likely to receive SS benefits for a long time (in response to someone asking why an 18 yr old would marry a 58 yr old) is condemning this young woman, that’s due to your own underlying assumptions about what that fact means.

I married an older guy when I was a teenager, and we’ve lasted nearly 20 years. I started doing his taxes for him right off the bat, and it’s not just because I’m a good citizen who wants to make sure the IRS gets every dime they’re owed…(although there is that).

VerbumSap on January 7, 2012 at 1:30 AM

The heroine of this story reminded me of Sarah Connor, of “Terminator” fame, and then, I learned her name IS Sarah and Sarah Palin has commented. That’s quickly becoming my favorite name for a girl. I had long been turned off regarding that name due to the crappy attitude of Abraham’s wife and the way God let her off the hook etc… Hope this helps bring the thread back onto topic. ;)

Rugged Individual on January 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Rugged Individual on January 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Ha, my husband is closer in age to my mom than me. That didn’t bother me so much as when he pulled out a ZZ Top concert ticket from the day I was born. ::shudder::

VerbumSap on January 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM

troyriser_gopftw on January 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Now that you’ve got her all trained up, a good thing, two words: Don’t cheat. ;-)

TXUS on January 7, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Not to rain on any redneck-bashing cretin’s parade, but my mom got knocked up with ME at 15, married at 16 and had three more kids, in southern California. It’s not for others to judge what mature folks do. Especially in the case of a woman like Sarah here who seems to have more common sense and better judgment than ANY individual who would even consider voting for Obama the first time, much less a second. And my guess is that she had more common sense and better judgment than Obama himself when she was but 12.Rugged Individual on January 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM

nice, love it!

magone on January 7, 2012 at 3:12 AM

This story just goes to prove that if you don’t have your own gun, you may have to wait the rest of your life for the police to bring theirs.

Lammo on January 7, 2012 at 3:55 AM

TXUS on January 7, 2012 at 2:39 AM

I hear that. Mama didn’t raise no fool.

troyriser_gopftw on January 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Care to explain how commenting on a news story constitutes “whoring” one’s self out? Given that you’re also commenting on this story, what does that make you, hmm?

RINO in Name Only on January 7, 2012 at 5:07 AM

The dem/Socialists are probably laffing how she clinged to her guns.

malkinmania on January 7, 2012 at 5:17 AM

Nice to see everyone going head first into this story.

How about an actual police investigation – the lady and the trump knew each other.

In the Daily article she said that the killed guy came after the funeral to present himself as a neighbour and 3 paragraphs later her mom says she knew him from a rodeo 2 years back.. helloooo? Check that baby DNA if it’s matching with the burglar one. “It’s not customary to lock the doors areound here” but took the guy 21 minutes to enter? Helloooo again. But he got what he deserved if he trespassed (we don’t need no stinking warning shots).

Try to think beyond “all teen moms are heroes” narratives. Because from what I see around me in Europe, most of them are just drug-heads and plain whores (oh oh… I said it).

And not everyone thinks that old guys on girls is awesome, regardless of your personal experiences. At 15 years old humans are still kids, it’s not 632AD anymore. Even if they have strong sexual interests at that age – keep lowering the bar and is all over.

Now excuse me, I have to hatch a plan to fool a high-school student to spread it for me voluntarily. Maybe buy her a nice dress. I’m almost 40, and I understood this is the best time to start.

Rookie on January 7, 2012 at 5:58 AM

This country is in serious trouble.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

We mourn your loss ! ; > snicker

There but for the grace of God, goes God.

dukecitygirl on January 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Za—zinggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

DevilsPrinciple on January 7, 2012 at 6:08 AM

You-Eh-Vee on January 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I’m disappointed, but not bitter. I’ll get over Sarah not running.

But you’ll still be a pig.

dukecitygirl on January 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Hey You ? ( lol ) You should quit while you’re behind !!

DevilsPrinciple on January 7, 2012 at 6:15 AM

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Right You, UNLESS you had realized before hand, that WaPo AND column writers are misogynistic, professional whores. It wasn’t amateur hour for this young woman. Lives were at stake and she did what ANY of us would do to protect ourselves.

DevilsPrinciple on January 7, 2012 at 6:36 AM

predator on January 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Second that!

A target pistol is a good way to learn. I started with a Ruger Mark III and it teaches you the basics. I do not recommend getting one that has had less than 5,000 rounds put through it as they are a pain to disassemble when new. At about 1,000 rounds and 5 thorough disassemble/cleanings it is now just starting to get easy to take apart and put back together. An old Mark I or II ought to be fine.

For the HD we have a pump 12 and 410, then have a Mousegun back-up. I figure that if it is closequarters enough for someone to try and grab a shotgun they deserve something up-close and personal. And that nifty little laser pointer does just fine in confined quarters. And if times start to get rough, I’ll be putting Mr. Thompson’s favorite into service: decent enough for close quarters and a drum mag ensures staying power. Anything made for WWI trenches ought to do fine for the home.

Sarah is lucky to be alive and if she led a rough life and an older man taught her to use his guns, well, remember if he tried anything she knows the hardware and how to use it. I really can’t complain about that, as no truer form of love exists than to say: if I step over the line, take me out as I’m not worthy of life. The man was married before, has kids and grandkids and beyond that he taught his young wife what the world is about.

She defended her child, herself, her home and anyone who can’t understand the word ‘no’ deserves what they get.

Yeah, she made a citizen’s arrest. She arrested the advance into her home as a citizen.

They would get the same from me, but then I’m nice and would send some plastic at Mach 1.5 to let them no that I mean NO and sorry about the face. What comes next depends on the depths of stupidity I’m having to deal with.

Have to see if I can scrub up some spare change to send her way.

ajacksonian on January 7, 2012 at 7:16 AM

So a senior citizen borking a little girl is ok in your book.

Good to know.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Uh, like Muhammad?

Bevan on January 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Lol…you think “some people” have “messed up moral compasses” but care not that a senior citizen was borking a 9 year old….and a whole host of “Arabs” are actually defending that “right”.

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Fixed it for ya

Bevan on January 7, 2012 at 7:23 AM

txag92 on January 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM

but yet, Hugh Hefner is ok with that.

askwhatif on January 7, 2012 at 7:30 AM

This makes me think of Sucker Punch : Women with Guns aren’t victims.

Sams88 on January 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Some of these comments are disgusting.

John the “Libertarian”,…doesn’t Maury Povich have a blog for you?

The rest of you haters,… there’s more to this story than you’ll ever know from a couple of news interviews. Leave the girl alone and stop judging, lest you be judged!

essequam on January 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM

KMC1 on January 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

First off conservative does not equal prude.As in conservatives don’t think sex is some unnatural act that must never take place except under the most prudish standards. A standard that has never been adhered to with any success in the annals of human history, certainly not American History. You must live under a freakin rock not to know the percentage of teenage pregnancy “out of wedlock” in this country. This young woman was married so she observed the socially acceptable norm of marrying, before having a child. It seems to be important to you that her husband was older than her, and not some teenage boy like herself. That’s none of your business.

Dr Evil on January 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

essequam on January 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM

My son turns 18 in April. If he were to marry a 58 year old woman I’d find that to be sickening.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Dr Evil on January 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

My husband is an older guy. A FORTY year age difference is more than ‘older’.-

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

The baby is 3 months old. Any medication at the home would have been removed by the sheriff if the husband died there. She has a lot of trouble ahead. Revenge by the 2nd perp and others looking to break in. Maybe she was on her own at 15 and has nowhere else to go. She’s got a lot of moxie and could grow up to be the first woman president.

Kissmygrits on January 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

In Virginia, where there is no age of consent, she would have been the victim of statutory rape and a sham marriage.

So is it OK for me to think this is sickening and criminal in Virginia, but in other states I’m not allowed to think it’s criminal and get ridiculed for thinking it’s sickening?

Spliff Menendez on January 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I have said for years that a firearm is the ultimate equalizer and that the hardcore feminists in the US are complete Democrat party whores (yup I went there) for backing anti-gun politicians. IF they were really about women being empowered they would want every one with XX chromosomes to have a gun and learn to shoot.

A 100 pound girl can stop multiple assailants, who may out weigh her by a factor of 3, with a Glock that she knows how to use. Only in a movie would that same sized woman be able to stop those attackers in any other manner.

Get a gun learn to shoot it safely, and then get training on how to shoot it well in a defensive situation.

Nathan_OH on January 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Nathan_OH on January 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

My 13 year old daughter has been target shooting with my husband and son for 2 years now, she will be taking her hunter safety this year. One of her Christmas presents, a shotgun, my son got one too(15 yo).

Plus, some nasty people on this thread, nasty comments. Does anyone know the real circumstances of this young girl? If not, then STFU..

Luke 6:37 – Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

reshas1 on January 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Jackson Browne reference?

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Looks like it’s me and you again tonight, Rosie…Rosie.

Norky on January 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I support her in every respect — including her present and past decisions to have sex with whomever she wants.

What the hell do you people think puberty is?

We are animals. It’s natural to start having sex sometime — it’s variable; we’re dynamic, non-linear, far from equilibrium systems — after the start of puberty. Even if you’re religious, the religious traditions of Catholicism and Judaism both put the age of marriage for women at 12.

Mary was 14 or 15, according to most Biblical scholars. How old do you think Joseph was? What about God?

By no means is every female (or male) ready to have sex at that age, but some are.

Without psychological trauma or endless heartache. In many cases by being good and loving parents if it comes to that.

This woman is a great example of the latter. I salute her courage, her aim, and both her mothering and also her sexuality.

Random on January 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM