Santorum: All the New Hampshire TV time was bought up

posted at 8:05 pm on January 6, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Rick Santorum might be rising in South Carolina, but he’ll do well to finish third or fourth in New Hampshire. Maybe it would be better, then, to consider his success in Iowa not as the start of consistent momentum but a catapult over New Hampshire into South Carolina. Part of the reason Iowa came too late to help Santorum in the early Northeastern state (where he was never destined to do particularly well) is that, by the time the campaign cash started pouring into Santorum’s coffers, all the air time in New Hampshire was booked. Or so reports Jake Tapper:

Call it the perils of the late (albeit well-timed) surge.

Former Senator Rick Santorum told ABC News that although his campaign has raised more than $2 million since his strong showing in Iowa, the cash came too late to get any TV ads on in New Hampshire.

“We’ve raised a lot of money now but all the TV has been bought,” Santorum said, “there’s no place to get in. So you are sort of stuck having to run a grassroots campaign coming down the stretch. It’s hard to make up 39 points in five days with a grassroots campaign.”

Then again, Santorum had success in Iowa with the one-on-one approach. Five days might not be much, but they might be enough to gain him a few more points, which could, in turn, translate to a higher finish in South Carolina.

Or, hey, here’s an idea: Santorum could use this as an opportunity to be creative. Isn’t this the day and age of social media? It might be the time to cue a well-crafted Twitter and Facebook campaign. Maybe he could sponsor a turkey drop out of a helicopter a la Les Nessman from WKRP in Cincinnati. But don’t forget, Mr. Santorum, if you do decide to take my advice: Turkeys can’t fly.

Comments

I’m starting to sour on Rick Santorum.

I’m sorry I’m not crazy about a “CONSERVATIVE” working with Hillary or Barbara Boxer.

But who else do we have? And while we dither Romney grows stronger and the media pressure mounts to coronate Mitt (so Obama can destroy him).

It’s 2008 all over again.

PappyD61 on January 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Im thinking Wal Mart greeter, its one on one, cost effective and has the potential to pivot into same sex confirmation by the contraception isle.

Whos with me?

RAGIN CAJUN on January 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

One could wage a very effective, low cost campaign this way.

It takes savvy to do that.

And guts.

ajacksonian on January 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

It’s only Romney that has something to lose in New Hampshire. By winning big, he just meets expectations. If he only wins by 10%, people will say, what went wrong?

RBMN on January 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Rick has an uphill battle. He surged late without an organization to take care of things like get on a ballot, get signatures or buy ads.

Santorum seems to have the Huckabee endorsement, but I don’t know how much that will buy.

Philly on January 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

But turkeys can fly.

SlaveDog on January 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Republicans are totally in the Stone Age on the whole internet thingy. The campaigns could have used internet resources to get them on the Va ballot, and yes , Santorum could seriously boost himself with social media. As crazy as Paul is he understands the way to utilize technology.

Southernblogger on January 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Don’t you listen to her, Rick. Urban legends, spread by the anti-Turkey-flight brigades.

Let your turkeys fly Rick!! Set your turkeys free!!!

JohnGalt23 on January 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Turkey drop- not so much.

Poll drop- comin’ real quick.

M240H on January 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I’m a romney supporter. However I find Santorum very likable.

However the democrats and Obama will chew him up about conservative issues that I don’t understand why he has to lecture on them

He’s against gay marriage(so am i) but leave it at that. don’t get into polygamy,beastiality etc.

why harp on birth control pills(Sheesh).

gerrym51 on January 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Santorum is never going to win NH, but obviously the better he does, the more people look to him as the conservative candidate to support.

Southernblogger on January 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM

But turkeys can fly.

SlaveDog on January 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Wild turkeys can; domesticated, no.

M240H on January 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Good thing for Santorum that there are two debates this weekend, I guess. Of course, my prediction is that the questionners will ask him primarily if not exclusively about social issues, even though this is low on voters list of issues they care about.

txmomof6 on January 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

LOL “Oh, the humanity!”

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM

New Hampshire is a surprisingly small state and easy to get around in.

Santorum can rely on personal appearances and get his message across.

Heck, Ike didn’t even visit New Hampshire in 1952, but he still defeated Taft in the GOP primary.

Horace on January 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM

PappyD61 on January 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I ask you to look at perry, he might not be 100% conservative but he has a great record over the field

Flapjackmaka on January 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Ike was more known than taft

gerrym51 on January 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM

PappyD61 on January 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Lots of people worked with Hillary and Barbara Boxer back in the 90′s. If that’s suppose to be an indictment against him, than it’s an indictment against all of them.

Rick Santorum is a great guy. He’s a strong conservative. Whenever I called his office back when my wife and I were Republican committee people, he always sent detailed letters addressing our concerns. He always took strong conservative positions on the issues.

Santorum is incredibly smart when it comes to foreign policy. I would love to see him President. He would also make mincemeat of Obama in the debates. His positions are from his convictions.

I am not sure yet who I will vote for. We have time until primaries get to PA. But he’s a great guy.

I am really not unhappy with any of these candidates except Ron Paul. Any of them, I will strongly support. I really think when all the dust settles and this primary is over, we are going to have a strong candidate with a clear message.

My concern, though is, as with many of us… what will Obama try as he realizes he is getting closer to losing the election? It’s going to be a rough ride between here and now.
I think Obama is capable of almost anything. It is foolish for us to not realize this.

JellyToast on January 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Horace on January 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I’ve been in NH during primary season. It’s a state filled with people who say “I won’t vote for him… I only met him once.”

JohnGalt23 on January 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Turkeys may fly, but this dog can’t hunt. I – and anyone – should never vote for Santorum. Let me count the ways:

2001 – His charity, Good Neighbor Foundation, spent 36%
of what it raised on charitable causes. The rest went for salaries, travel, etc. 36% is less than half of the norm spent on charity.

2002 – claimed that Catholic Church child-sex scandals were the fault of Boston liberalism. Guess he didn’t get the memo about pedophile priests.

2003 – compared homosexuality to pedophilia and bestiality. No matter what you think about gays, homosexuality involves 2 consenting adults. Comparing it to 2 sexual deviancies that do not is complete hypocrisy.

2004 – Supported pro-choice Arlen Spector for reelection over pro-life Pat Toomey. And yet he claims to be pro-life.

2004 – Had a PA school district near Pittsburgh pay for the education of his children while he lived in VA.

2005 – The Terry Schiavo fiasco. He flew, at taxpayer expense, to pray with her parents. Afterwards he used the jet to get to a fundraiser for reelection.

This is a man of no principles who wants only to impose his vision of personal morality. He should not be elected dogcatcher.

independentvoice on January 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM

What happens when Palin endorses Santorum? Her folks could help with the facebook stuff. She has had the most success with it to date.

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

But turkeys can fly.

SlaveDog on January 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Wild turkeys can; domesticated, no.

M240H on January 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM

well, that’s the difference between liberals and conservatives isn’t it…

New Hampshire is a surprisingly small state and easy to get around in.

Santorum can rely on personal appearances and get his message across.

Horace on January 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM

we call ‘em massholes.

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

What happens when Palin endorses Santorum?

I take off the “Don’t Blame Me, I Voted Sarah” sticker off the car.

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Jerry Sandusky or the Situation will be President of the United States before Rick Santorum.

TXUS on January 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Yeah, I heard that there wasn’t much airtime left in SC either, between Mitt and Perry buying up most of it before Iowa.

Also, while I agree that a mad-dash on the retail politics campaign in New Hampshire could push Santorum up a couple percentage points, it probably wouldn’t be enough to finish in front of Paul. Also, this kind of campaigning is rather time extensive and it’d be very difficult to campaign in South Carolina much while shaking hands in New Hampshire.

I’d say his time would best be spent focusing on South Carolina where he has more time and the demographics are a little more friendly, but I’m not sure that’ll do any good. A poor showing in New Hampshire is likely to really dent his momentum, and he’ll need it for SC and beyond.

Eh, suffice to say, Santorum is in a VERY difficult position. I think his best hope is that other candidates implode before South Carolina, so he can unify the anti-romney vote. However, there isn’t much time for this to happen, and it’s unlikely a single not-romney imploding would be enough. Perry for example already commands a small enough portion of the vote, that once split up amongst the other not-romneys it wouldn’t help much. Thats also assuming that Romney didn’t get any of those votes, which is an unrealistic assumption.

No, realistically Santorum needs both Newt and Perry to completely implode before South Carolina, and while that isn’t out of the realm of possibility it isn’t very likely. The tight primary schedule this year simply does not give candidates enough time to fade. It’d be a different story if different candidates had won Iowa and New Hampshire, as is usually the case. Under this scenario we would’ve had a much more competitive primary season that would’ve lasted well beyond early states. As is, we are likely to see a single candidate sweep the first three primary states.

If that happens, short of that candidate completely imploding there will be far too much momentum to stop him.

WolvenOne on January 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Santorum has bashed the tea party on record:

Romney’s never done that.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

He refers to the libertardian strain within the GOP & Tea Party

Southernblogger on January 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Good one. You might want to get have that scraper at the ready.

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

The sun was in his eyes and the dog ate his homework.

echosyst on January 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Elections are great for the economy.

SC.Charlie on January 6, 2012 at 8:39 PM

JohnGalt23

Sounds about right. And their state liquor stores have lousy selections, although their parking lots are full of people from Mass seeking relief from Soviet prices.

Horace on January 6, 2012 at 8:39 PM

But turkeys can fly.

SlaveDog on January 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Wild turkeys can; domesticated, no.

M240H on January 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM

sums up the difference between a liberal and a conservative.

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I think rather than ads Santorum needs to be formulating an answer to Dianne Sawyer’s inevitable question as to why any Jesus freak should be allowed near the Oval office since it is clear he hates women and gays. He knows it is coming, so he has to be ready with an answer. If Newt really wanted to help Santorum, he would help him in this regard, or perhaps he could watch old tapes of Ronald Reagan’s NH debate.

txmomof6 on January 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Maybe Bravo TV has some open airtime he can buy.

echosyst on January 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Santorum has never polled above 3% until Iowa. And now he is all the buzz b/c he miraculously came in second in a po-dunk state??
Are you kidding me? The guy is a joke, a whiner and a broke candidate unable to compete b/c HE HAS NO MONEY!!! Wake the hell up Republicans!!!

After being a Republican all my life, I am ready to become a damn Indie.

Perry 2012!!!!

purgatory on January 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

independentvoice

1. Links are your friend.

2. You do realize that Obama will not be raising moral or ethical issues in this campaign, right?

3. “This is a man of no principles who wants only to impose his vision of personal morality.” You may either have no principles or a vision of personal morality, but I submit that – logically – you may not have both.

Knott Buyinit on January 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

He refers to the libertardian strain within the GOP & Tea Party

Southernblogger on January 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

He should have said that then, instead of saying “the tea party”.

Rule number 1 of politics – don’t demonize people unless you’re sure of who they are.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Santorum has bashed the tea party on record:

Romney’s never done that.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I watched the video, I agree with him about “earmarks”. This is just a joke compared to the real deficit spending issues. I didn’t like what he had to say about the TEA PARTY. There are only three candidates that I could vote for at this point.

1. Santorum
2. Perry
3. Paul

We are just pissing in the whirlwind if we think that splitting the Conservative vote is going to do anything but elect Romney.

Mittens wins New Hampshire and if he wins South Carolina with only 30% of the vote and Santorum Perry and Newt get 27/15/14 that means 56% of the vote is wasted and the Ruling Class GOP Talking heads (Krauthammer/Will/Brooks/Parker/Noonan/Kristol/Rove) etc will all be chiming in that it’s “time to unite” behind Romney.

……and we can say hello to 4 more years of OBAMA and Obamacare being fully implemented and death of individual liberty.

Two of these three need to get out of the race before South Carolina.

PappyD61 on January 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM

The man is pretty clear if you listen to the clip. He is talking liberaltardians.

Southernblogger on January 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM

It’s gotta be Perry or Newt. If only Perry could debate !

I’d gladly vote for either one.

Santorum should be running for Pope or Bishop.

stenwin77 on January 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Southernblogger on January 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I’m sure you’d give Romney the same benefit of the doubt had he said the exact same thing, too.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I wouldnt give him the Media Matters treatment.

I’ve got some real concerns about this movement within the Republican Party and the Tea Party movement to sort of refashion conservatism. I will vocally and publicly oppose it and do my best to correct the record.

Southernblogger on January 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I’m starting to sour on Rick Santorum.

But who else do we have?

PappyD61 on January 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Psst. Pappy. Take a second look at Newt. Read Thomas Sowell’s two columns defending him as the best choice. I’m just saying. I mean, he’s not perfect, but…

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I take off the “Don’t Blame Me, I Voted Sarah” sticker off the car.

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Would mommy and daddy let you do that without their permission? After all they made you support Perry and bash Palin under threat of cutting you off from the inheritance. Right?

Frobenius on January 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

PappyD61 on January 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Don’t care for the edit on that vid. But there is this to consider.

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I think he could get in if he wanted to pay, say, double and pre-empt other buys which came in for less. But it’s probably not worth it…

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Can we say Santorum is a big gov’t lobbying joke who won’t get on enough ballots to even win the nomination;

What A Big Government Conservative Looks Like (Santorum)

After late surge, Rick Santorum could miss state ballot deadlines
“In all, Santorum could miss out on up to 200 delegates from four states (and D.C.) before the contests are held.”

Go Perry 2012

bzip on January 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM

And guts.

ajacksonian on January 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

LOL and Ewwww…I don’t know if you meant spattered turkey guts, but that’s what I pictured!
**********
About Santorum, I think he may have surged too late to be able to compete. I would gladly vote for him, or Newt, or Perry if one of them should survive.

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Good point, media is always for sale.

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Sowell will change his mind and apologize soon, probably after watching Newt implode in anger and attempt to turn into the Incredible Hulk on stage tomorrow.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Good point, media is always for sale.
Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Yep, it’s a commodity. Hard money/candidate buys by law get the lowest possible rate (not true for soft money/PACS) but I think they can offer to pay more if they want. I could be wrong…

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Must Rock Iran
Mark Count, Sir
Croak Mits Run

Rick Santorum

beatcanvas on January 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Don’t care for the edit on that vid. But there is this to consider.

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Rick had that here in Iowa as well. Almost every tea party person I know came down for either Santorum or for Gingrich, and mostly Santorum.

beatcanvas on January 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

independentvoice on January 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM

This alone should disqualify Santorum from any conservative’s list. Spector flips to the Dems during this term, votes for ObamaCare and the stimulus, while Toomey turns out to be a strong conservative.

PatMac on January 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Must Rock Iran
Mark Count, Sir
Croak Mits Run

Rick Santorum

beatcanvas on January 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

So you’re typical of Santorum supporters?

No thanks.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Many fair reasons posted here to not support Santorum for the nomination. Add, no executive experience. Add, lost his last election by 20 points. Add, is too far-right socially for the country as a whole. Add, Obama will win easily. The only conservative left for the nomination is Rick Perry.

PatrickHenry599 on January 6, 2012 at 9:45 PM

independentvoice on January 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM

PatMac on January 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Santorum and Romney are both full of excuses when it comes to their records, because they were elected in blue states. But this is an example of what happens when you compromise your principles.

NbyNW on January 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Since Santorum now lives in Virginia, why has he escaped criticism for not getting on the ballot in Virginia? I’ve read enough criticism of Gingrich for this, since he lives in Virginia.

Santorum’s been running for a long time now. Why didn’t he get on the ballot?

NbyNW on January 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM

wish them non-flying turkeys would stop flying in and landing in my lawn :)

dmacleo on January 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM

So you’re typical of Santorum supporters?

No thanks.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Nope. Voted for Perry at the Caucus. Met Rick though. Nice guy.

I was screwing around while I was restoring a 2 Gb database.

beatcanvas on January 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I don’t think Sowell is especially attracted to the candidate who best plays Mr. Nice Guy or Mr. Smooth, 1punchWill. He favors someone who is brassy and confident enough to articulate conservative opinion in a cogent, convincing way. That’s Newt. It may be a cliche, but it’s true that Newt has the intellectual firepower to hold his own against the MSM who will attack him in interviews, and against Obama during the debates. Most everyone who is backing Newt at this point realizes that he’s not going to win any Miss Manners contests, but we also know that we’re not getting any finger-in-the-wind milquetoast, either.

Some of the “gaffes” that Newt has purportedly made recently aren’t really gaffes at all. They’re simply observations Newt is making. When he starts making those kinds of observations about Obama, it will be something to watch.

I’ll bet you $10,000 that Sowell doesn’t withdraw his endorsement of Newt and issue an apology. $10,000, you hear? And I’m not rich, either.

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Santorum’s been running for a long time now. Why didn’t he get on the ballot?

NbyNW on January 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM

When Ed posted the story, he explained that Santorum shouldn’t have been expected to have qualified since he was working so hard in Iowa. Not convinced by that? No, I wasn’t either.

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Hmm. That last post of mine didn’t come out right. I think I’ll try it again.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Flapjackmaka

He also has another record over the rest of the field that explains why he’s at the bottom, lol.

That would be news to Gerry Studds. And I’m not sure “hypocrisy” means what you think it does. You might want to consult a dictionary when you get a chance.

xblade on January 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I’m thinking the same way.

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Actually, he surged at just the right moment. If he’d peaked earlier (like Cain, Newt or Perry), he would have been vetted and eviscerated as they were. Peaking at just the right moment without having yet been vetted was a miracle of timing in his favor.

Burke on January 6, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Maybe he could sponsor a turkey drop

He could parachute in to the state. But you just said that.

MJBrutus on January 7, 2012 at 4:19 AM

The end of the article is unfair to Les Nessman. The turkey drop was Mr. Carlson’s idea. Les just had the task of reporting on it.

Jeff A on January 7, 2012 at 7:07 AM

beatcanvas on January 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Impressed by your display of combinatorial skill, I went to your web site and found the “How I’m Going to Vote at the Iowa Caucus” post. That is a very nice piece of analytical reasoning.

Dextrous on January 7, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Who told you turkeys can’t fly? They roost in trees and surely didn’t climb up. Maybe Rick could get some ads in the online version of the papers. Why pay for a rag when people can look for free.

Kissmygrits on January 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Wild turkeys can; domesticated, no.

M240H on January 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Wild Turkeys make a pretty good bourbon and branch, and that has probably won more votes in US history than any of the other tricks.

MikeA on January 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Aint’t gonna happen. I don’t see at this course that she endorses anyone till the general, that is unless she endorses herself

ConservativePartyNow on January 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

January 07, 2012

Santorum Slides Back in New Hampshire
The Suffolk University tracking poll in New Hampshire continues to find Mitt Romney with a big lead over his GOP rivals, but it also shows Rick Sanotrum’s surge stopping as he slips back into fourth place.

Romney leads with 39%, followed by Ron Paul at 17%, Newt Gingrich at 10%, Rick Santorum and Jon Huntsman tied at 9%, and Rick Perry at 1%.

Key finding: “Santorum came under scrutiny at a campaign stop in Concord, N.H. earlier this week when he compared gay marriage to polygamy and admitted he did not know his medical marijuana laws very well. He was jeered for those answers by a predominately student audience. Overnight, his support dropped from 6 percent to 3 percent among undeclared (Independents) and also dropped from 9 percent to 2 percent among voters ages 18-34 years.”

Santorum will tank in SC…Dr. Kookoobananas Ron Paul is already hammering him in serial hypocrite ads pairing him with Gingrich.

workingclass artist on January 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

beatcanvas on January 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

After SC learns he voted against Right to Work legislation and for Unions it’s over for him.

workingclass artist on January 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

It’s 2008 all over again.

PappyD61 on January 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

But in 08 we had Palin with the Dud.

wi farmgirl on January 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Romney’s never done that.

1punchWill on January 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Because somebody did it in Romney’s behalf. Romney’s camp hated the Tea Party that much.

TheAlamos on January 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM