Rasmussen in SC: Romney 27, Santorum 24

posted at 9:20 am on January 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The last we saw of South Carolina polling three weeks ago, Newt Gingrich had a large lead over Mitt Romney, the only two candidates in double digits, and Rick Santorum tied Jon Huntsman for last place.  My, how things have changed over the Christmas holidays.  After their dead-heat finish in Iowa, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum now lead the latest Rasmussen poll 27/24, respectively, and Gingrich has dropped to 18%:

What a difference a caucus makes. Rick Santorum who two months ago had one percent (1%) support among likely South Carolina Republican Primary voters now is running a close second there with 24% of the vote.

The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey in the Palmetto State finds former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney still in the lead, earning 27% support from likely GOP Primary Voters, up from 23% in early November. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is in third with 18% of the vote, followed by Texas Congressman Ron Paul at 11%.

Bringing up the rear are Texas Governor Rick Perry with five percent (5%) and former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman at two percent (2%). Another two percent (2%) of these likely primary voters like some other candidate, and 11% remain undecided.

Ron Paul doesn’t appear to have gained a lot of traction in the same period.  The RCP average had Paul at 8.5% for December before today’s Rasmussen poll, but the mid-month Clemson poll had him at 10%.  His surprising drop in Iowa to third place has not hurt him, but he’s not picking up any momentum, either.  Rasmussen’s sample is 74/26 Republicans to independents, so it isn’t as if the survey of 750 likely primary voters (conducted in its entirety yesterday) tried to avoid Paul’s base, either.

Looking at the internals, Santorum competes better in some demos with Romney.  He edges Romney among men, 27/25, but is behind 30/20 with women and almost tied with Gingrich at 19%.  Surprisingly, Romney edges Paul for voters under 40, 25/22, with Santorum in third at 16%.  Santorum tops Romney with 40-64YOs 30/22, but Romney wins seniors by a large margin, 41/25 over Gingrich, with Santorum in third again at 18%.   Romney and Santorum win among Republicans and non-Republicans, 29/25 and 23/21, respectively.  Paul only manages a 19% with independents and just 8% among Republicans.

Romney has a bigger problem with very conservative voters.  He comes in third among this self-identified set, which comprises the plurality in the sample (41%), behind Santorum (36%) and Gingrich (22%).  Santorum has a problem among “somewhat conservative” voters, as Romney wins 38% and Gingrich comes in second at 20% among respondents who accounted for 35% of the sample.  Santorum will have to find a way to increase his appeal beyond the very conservative base, while Romney has to work in the opposite direction.

Santorum may have the edge in making that case.  His favorability rating is 72%, a bit higher than Romney’s 68% and Gingrich’s 59%.  Romney gets a 65% favorability among very conservative voters, but Santorum has a 74% rating with somewhat conservative voters, so he has more potential upside in the demo he needs to target.  Paul’s favorability is only 39%, which beats Jon Huntsman’s 29%.  Rick Perry gets to 50%, but only 9% find him “very favorable,” which portends a very poor showing for the Texas governor in a couple of weeks.

The news has to be encouraging to both Romney and Santorum.  Romney was not expected to do well in South Carolina, but his numbers have improved quite a bit over the last three weeks, and two-thirds of voters in this poll expect him to win the nomination, while 45% believe he’s the strongest candidate to beat Obama in the fall.  Only 16% believe that of Santorum, which means his support outstrips his perceived viability.  A second-place finish in New Hampshire might improve that number and perhaps add more to his support, but that may come at the expense of other conservatives in the race rather than Romney.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Ovah!

rubberneck on January 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Sure hope and pray that’s not our choice.

logman1 on January 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Thanks for the ray of sunshine! It’s not *ovah* til it’s ovah!

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Exactly! :)

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM

How is it working for you, any of these moderate been president lately?

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

One could reasonably argue that a whole lot of Americans voted for Barack Obama because they believed he was a moderate. Now, I know that’s idiocy. You know it’s idiocy. But a lot of moderate democrats and independents who voted for him believed they were voting for a moderate — he was going to be a uniter, work across the aisle, blah, blah, blah. They do not believe that anymore.

The other benefit, perhaps, of running a moderate is the question of how will Obama campaign against that? He has two choices, and his team has been test running both of them the last few days: 1) Romney is a flip-flopper who doesn’t believe in anything because he worked with democrats while in Massachusetts; and 2) Romney is a right wing “extremist.” The Obama team cannot use both of those strategies, so they’ll have to pick one. Option #1 makes him appear more reasonable — more moderate — than Obama; option #2 is just plain ridiculous.

And, bottom line, all of the Republican candidates this time around are moderates.

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Okay, a grab bag of comments on stuff folks have been throwing around here.

As I see it, the decision tree goes:

Santorum: Smells too much like Huckabee, a social-con populist isn’t what I’m looking for.

Perry: Far and away the best candidate on that intersection of philosophy and record but inexplicable inability to stop blowing his own toes off has left him crippled.

Paul: There’s a lot I like but I cannot even begin to comprehend the damage a Paul presidency could do in a few very important areas.

Newt: Bright guy but as likely to go off on his allies as his adversaries, weaker on organization and no better on policy than others in the field.

Mitt: Got a bit of a horn on his nose but then so did Reagan as CA Guv. Wants the job, he’s qualified on the record (unlike the current White House Clown) and organized enough to get it.

When it comes right down to it I’d vote for any one of these (even Ron) over Obama, but within this field I’ll take Mitt.

JEM on January 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

How about Barbra Boxer, fringe or normal Democrat? Gosh this is fun!

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

There certainly nothing to write home about. I don’t think people voted for Obama because they thought he was moderate, they voted for him because he was “historical”. I just can’t decide if they have the guts to admit that that isn’t a reason to make someone POTUS.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Those who voted for Obama should be forced to wear their vote, as if it were a scarlet letter. Many of Romney’s supporters would be shown for what they really are.

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

And how about those Al’s; Franken and Gore?

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I was a fringe conservative, beofore it was trendy.

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Just make sure that you always use your inside voice.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM

“I don’t have one ounce of doubt about Rick Perry…I ask them have you looked at his record in Texas and what he’s done?” – Rush Limbaugh 3 min. ago on his radio show

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Rational Thought – the press sold Obama to the Reagan Democrats.

And there were just a lot of Americans who were sick to death of listening to George W. Bush, tired of the voice, that they wanted to vote for someone who sounded Presidential.

They voted for Obama’s cigarette-throat voice and Harvard Law mannerisms.

JEM on January 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I’m have a bit of trouble finding “normal” democrats. But then I’m not sure I am the correct judge. Especially in the leadership. Maybe I should start pointing out the fringe in the Republican leadership. Those are some pretty crazy folks on that side of aisle.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Boxer is a depressingly normal California Democrat, at one time she’d have been considered fringe nationally but that’s less true now.

JEM on January 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Did you know that Rush Limbaugh just said that “there is a big difference between Romney and Obama” ?

Contrary to what you are implying here.

Gunlock Bill on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

“There’s no way to know for sure how many earmarks Santorum requested, since lawmakers weren’t required to attach their names to earmark requests until 2007. (Santorum served in the Senate from 1995 to 2007.) The Club for Growth, in its presidential white-paper series, claims that Santorum “requested billions of dollars for pork projects,” while the Perry campaign is alleging that Santorum requested over $1 billion in earmarks. Steve Ellis, vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense, views the $1 billion–plus figure as a plausible estimate. “As a matter of fact, I would probably peg it probably a little higher,” he says.”

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

And I was beginning to think they ARE *normal* Dems because there are so many!

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Newt is now beating on Santortium. Desperation does not look good on him.

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Rush thinks it’s going to be Romney but he believes a protracted primary season will make him a better candidate. He has so much as said so on his show, and on this point I agree with Rush.

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Is there a difference between “fringe” and “normal” when it comes to Democrats?

Gunlock Bill on January 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

If Santorum’s the nominee, Obama can assure himself of four more years. Rick’s nanny-state-conservative wishes WILL turn off independent voters. And all that Obama’s campaign team has to do is bring Santorum’s Senate voting record into light and ask everyone if they want to go back to the Bush agenda. (And hey, he voted WITH us Dems on right-to-work legislation!)

I can only hope the evangelical voters get past their swooning over Santorum’s strong social conservatism and see that he’s not the RIGHT right-wing candidate at this time, at a time when while social issues are indeed a concern, the national debt and unemployment need to take top priority right now.

TMOverbeck on January 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

JEM on January 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

How sad is that? I guess California gets that special dispensation like Massachusetts, so Senator Ma’am is normal.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Gunlock Bill on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Was meant to be literal, not implied.

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Obligatory reading of the day, for all the days leading to Nov. 6, 2012.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I feel so bad for the normal Republicans that have to put up with the fringey types that seem to pollute the comment section here.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Proportional delegate awards means no knock-outs unless a candidate can’t get the money to keep going… and then a volunteer network might just well serve if they can get one organized.

After 01 APR it is winner take all primaries, so all you have to do is get a couple of decent sized States or a large State and you are back in the ‘race’. I expect at least 3 candidates to be in this until 01 APR and possibly 4.

Huntsman is the one with problems if he gets zilch after NH. He isn’t making a case to anyone in the south and if he gets no traction in the northeast or upper midwest he is crispy… SuperTuesday is his make or break time.

ajacksonian on January 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I’m a little apprehensive bout answering a long respected commenter here, but I’ll take the chance. Cindy, I’ve been on both sides of the aisle. And although no dem will openly except it, all within the dem fold know that Pelosi is an absolutely fringe democrat. But none of the other names you’ve named are considered as fringe within the dem fold. Hey, I told you what I know. Hope you peeps don’t jump on me for this. I’m just a noobie.

tommy71 on January 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Gunlock Bill – not any more, not too many.

The ‘normal’ Democrat who bows to the incessant whipping of the ‘fringe’ party bosses will be defenestrated by the voters, but if that person represents the interests of his electorate he will be put out to pasture by the leadership.

JEM on January 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Oh, I know a lot of people thought they were “making history,” but they also thought they were picking a moderate. It is really, really hard for people with even the slightest conservative leanings to believe that anyone could find President “spread the wealth around” Zero to be a moderate, but many, many voters believed that. Even the “center-right” David Brooks had a column out this week saying that Obama has “turned out” to be much more far left than he had imagined. I know, I know, it is absurd that anyone could be that clueless, but Brooks isn’t alone. In the 2012 race, Obama will be the fringy candidate. And, honestly, I think he’s going to go with the “Romney is a right winger” campaign strategy, which is hilarious, but Obama has gone so far left that he has to make Romney a right winger in order to look even slightly moderate.

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

TheRightMan on January 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Don’t want to imply that you’re repetitive, but reading the first few lines I know it’s you.

The biggest problem Rick Perry has: Once you go on national TV and convince millions of people thaT you’re an idiot, it’s hard to un-convince them (along with immigration and pay to play schemes).

bw222 on January 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

“For most of you your opinion about electability is not your own…it’s what the media says about them”

“I don’t care what people think…a lot of people are choosing not to align with a candidate based on being afraid what people think about them….debates don’t matter in a presidential race…George W Bush ever won a single debate he won twice…I rest my case…”

“I’ve met Rick Perry and it ticks me off that people think he’s stupid…Why is the sole idea is based on how he appeared in a couple of debates…why not look at his record…”

Rush Limbaugh 1/6/2012

Man he is ripping it on superficial lemmings in the base on the electability issue.

I decide based on the candidates record & policies.

Nobody can match Gov. Perry on his record and actions speak louder than smooth talkin’

Gig Em’
Perry 2012

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Yes. But the worst were over at the ATF thread yesterday. To actually be glad that there is one less ATF agent was so vile- thankfully Ed took care of it! Things sure got a lot more *interesting around here after open reg!- but I for one am glad because I was let in too! Still feeling my way around but it sure is fun!

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM

tommy71 on January 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

PLEASE, there is no reason not to disagree with me. (Triple negative but I hope I make my point) I am just having fun with a comment up thread. I guess my only argument is that Republicans, in my opinion, far to often reach across the aisle to get stuff done only to have their hands bit by Democrat leadership. The fact that Obama just made a bunch of unconstitutional moves and his leadership is backing him seems pretty fringey to me.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I hope you are right. Do you know if Mr. Brooke’s was pushing John McCain as the nominee in 2008, most of the punditry was but I can’t remember.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Welcome and enjoy. I missed that thread although I went over to have a look. It takes a lot to get banned here (as it should) so I can’t even begin to imagine what those folks said but I am sure they won’t be missed.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

The Not Romney vote continues to be split three ways – Santorum, Gingrich, Paul – and four ways if you include “Fifth” Perry.

Add up all four and it is 57%, if I am adding correctly, yet, if those were the primary election results today, Romney wins with 27%.

As long as no one drops out and the Not Romney crowd doesn’t gather around one candidate, Romney will continue to benefit. Not good for conservatism, but true.

On the other hand, at some point, probably after Romney wins Florida, the GOP establishment will gather around one candidate, Romney, making the survivors irrelevant. Again, not good, but true.

Horace on January 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

You are exactly right. Santorum’s neanderthal views would pave the way for a landslide victory for Obama. It’s embarrassing to have someone like him to even be in contention.

BettyRuth on January 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Extremely embarrassing, and his extreme outspoken homophobia is only a part of the craziness that roils around in his psyche. Farther reaching is his philosophy on contraceptives:

Santorum has frequently stated that he does not believe a “right to privacy” exists under the Constitution, even within marriage; he has been especially critical of the Supreme Court decision in Griswold v. Connecticut (1965), which held that the Constitution guaranteed the aforementioned right, and on that basis, overturned a law prohibiting the sale and use of contraceptives.[80] He has described contraception as “a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be.“[81]

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Santorum

Now couple that with this:

Rick Santorum on Friday proposed amending the Constitution to ban gay marriage and abortion as part of a broad appeal to social conservatives he’s wooing in his race for the Republican presidential nomination.

He also proposed reinstating a ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in the military as well as teaching abstinence-only sex education courses in schools and ending taxpayer dollars for contraception. And he promised to fund organizations that promote marriage and counsel against abortions.

source: http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/article/Santorum-GOP-needs-to-talk-more-about-values-2252139.php

It isn’t too hard to extrapolate ahead to see what effect these ideas would have on teenage pregnancies.

I’m not going to mince words, and anyone who wants to come at me, understand this: I consider a social conservative to be the worst type of politician…THE WORST! The Left can tell me how I should feel, and I can just blow that off, but the SOCIAL CON wants to tell me how I should live, and that is even more opressively intrusive. You SOCIAL CONS can all crawl back under your rock and DIE! Every damn one of you Sanctorumbots.

Godzilla on January 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

If you see someone eating M&M’s that shows they are for Mitt the Willard (where the M us upside down). If you see someone like Plaxico Buress they are for Perry cause they like to shoot themselves. If you see someone hitting on your mom, they are for Newt.

hanzblinx on January 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Well, he voted for Obama, and wrote that McCain had no “grand vision” for his campaign. I actually think that’s a fair criticism — the McCain campaign was a train wreck from beginning to end. But here is Brooks’ last column just before the 2008 election, titled “Ceding the Center,” in which he argues that Obama and the democrats had captured the center. I realize it is absurd, and Brooks should have known better, but as I said before, he wasn’t alone. Moderates in 2008 really believed Obama was their guy. They do not believe that anymore. And I have to correct myself here: Brooks didn’t write this week that Obama is much more far left than he had thought, he said it on “The Laura Ingraham Show.”

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Essentially true, Perry or Bachman were just far enough to the right to be called outright conservative, but they’re essentially out by this point.

Paul, well, Pauls paul.

Romney, Gingrich, and Santorum however ARE moderates. That’s fine though, while I would prefer a solid conservative I’d still much prefer a competent moderate to the incompetent far left liberal we currently have in the white house.

Something else we need to keep in mind, is that the most likely winner, Romney, is to the right of McCain, Bob Dole, and both Bushes. Not, LEAPS and bounds to the right, he’s still a moderate after all, but since Reagan we’ve had a series of presidents and candidates that were barely even willing to admit that conservatism existed. Romney at least, has shown some willingness to work with conservatives, or to pander to us if you want to be cynical about it.

Either way, its an improvement, even if its not as much of an improvement as I would like.

WolvenOne on January 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I don’t think you are wrong about the moderate thing, never has anyone got less press and what he did get was dishonest. The fact that the American people aren’t outraged at the Fourth Estate, doesn’t bode well for our future.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

link and quote would be nice.

Far as I know he’s identified Romney as the establishment choice.

“If you’re going to base you choice of a candidate based on what people think of you…it is a prison…I’m here to tell you that your thinking is based on what the media is telling you…How many of you after 8 years started to buy into what the media was telling you about Bush…We know Obama isn’t smart and the media is telling you to choose someone who sounds as smart as Obama…” – Rush 1/6/2012

We have been beaten over the head with only Romney is electable…you google Perry and you get he sounds too much like Bush…google Michelle Bachmann and she’s too short…” – Rush 1/6/2012

So I googled

Perry sounds like Bush

Search
About 9,460,000 results (0.24 seconds)

Michelle Bachmann is too short

Search
About 9,810,000 results (0.26 seconds)

Herman Cain can’t talk

Search
About 54,800,000 results (0.25 seconds)

Rick Perry is stupid

Search
About 39,800,000 results (0.18 seconds)

Only Romney can beat Obama
Search About 83,200,000 results (0.21 seconds)

Obama is smart

Search
About 383,000,000 results (0.17 seconds

Dang! I think Rush has a point

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I think it is funny that Brooke’s thought conservatism was “behind the times” in 2008. And yet he still promotes the squishy middle. It makes me wonder just what would have to happen in this country to make conservatism attractive as the answer to her problems.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Oh please! I, for one, was for Mitt last time, who was a far better choice than Johnny Mac the “maverick” (or Fred “rocking chair” Thompson, but I digress). However, I held my nose and voted for McCain (and defended him to the best of my ability) once he got the nom. I don’t know anyone who supports Romney who doesn’t loathe Obama the Authoritarian Marxist.

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Santorum was videotaped yesterday in NH bragging about how great pork spending is and saying he was anti what the Tea Party has been doing in the GOP…

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I’m not sure if you’ve been informed, but everyone else has access to Google on their computer. So there’s no need to be the HA copy/paste helper anymore, mkay?

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Rush Limbaugh 2008:

I think now, based on the way the campaign has shaken out, that there probably is a candidate on our side who does embody all three legs of the conservative stool, and that’s Romney. The three stools or the three legs of the stool are national security/foreign policy, the social conservatives, and the fiscal conservatives. The social conservatives are the cultural people. The fiscal conservatives are the economic crowd: low taxes, smaller government, get out of the way.

He and Mark Levin are quite the flip floppers/

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Well, he’s a moderate. And frequently an idiot. But I am pleased that something has managed to get through his love affair with Barack and he now finds the president to be far to the left. Imagine how many folks who thought Barack was a moderate and weren’t in love with him, like Brooks was, have now figured out what a mistake they made.

And people are disgusted with the media. They poll somewhere south of used car salesman and democrat congresspersons with most people. I do not think Romney’s campaign will be anything like the feckless McCain campaign. He’ll answer the media’s cheerleading for Barack, even if it’s through surrogates so he can stay “above the fray” and “presidential.”

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

That kind of snark isn’t necessary. If you don’t want to read his posts, don’t read them. We don’t need playground monitors around here. Mkay?

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

“After Huckabbe,Thompson dropped out…compared to McCain in 2008 Romney was more conservative.All of you throwin 2008 back at me were trying to take Romney out…you were in McCain’s camp then and now…What’s changed?” – Rush

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Thanks Mom. I’ll try to tailor my future posts so you feel more comfortable.

btw…

Got any links to backup your candidates successful record?

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I don’t plan to vote for Gov. Romney in the primaries, in the general I will meld into the (hopefully) largest political block. *Anybody but Obama 2012*.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Norky on January 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Could have been worse, he/she could have pasted the whole article.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

He and Mark Levin are quite the flip floppers/

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Rush just answered that and said that after Huckabee and Thompson dropped out compared to McCain Romney was more conservative.

Frankly I know they have to drive ratings…bla bla bla…but he has the largest audience so what he says folks listen too.

He’s also been the only pundit on radio who hasn’t trashed Gov. Perry at some point…and says he likes him.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Gig Em’
Perry 2012

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM

You are my favorite Perry commenter. Not mean and pro Perry. (I’m sad to say I’m afraid he won’t make it. And since am a second choice Romney supporter I hope you don’t mind my loving your posts)

bluealice on January 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM

whoa…

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I’m glad to see that a lot folks still have their sense of humor today, even if the polling data isn’t all that they could hope for :-)

MJBrutus on January 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Can’t stomach Santorum ,hold out hope for Newt.

Let me say I live in Florida and saw my first Mitt ad this morning as I got ready for work, it was about him and his faith. To be honest I loved it. Who ever advised him on it did a good job. I don’t want to like Mitt and would prefer someone a little more libertarian, but ehhh, he might just be acceptable.

TheGarbone on January 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

If you can’t laugh……….

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM

bluealice on January 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Thankyou, Ma’m

I’d be ok with Romney as a VP to Perry compromise cause I think Perry can convert him to be an actual conservative in action (Mitt is timid) and teach him how to combat a legislature and win the right battles like Perry did over the last budget that upgraded our credit rating & saved the rainy day fund…Teddy Kennedy got ahold of Mitt & now Rove has ahold of Mitt and it’s Mitts biggest weakness & feeds his tendency toward timidity.

Even when he was a bluedog Perry has always been conservative and has had a steady trajectory to the right that was a precursor to where Texas was going.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I’ve heard another one…I’ve had a couple of liberals tell me that Romney isn’t conservative enough, believe it or not. :P

Go RBNY on January 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM

TheGarbone on January 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

If you believe in your faith you should not be afraid to be open about it…Mitt being timid about it was wrong cause liberals will bash hm for it anyhow.

being timid bothers folks so I’m glad he did that even though I don’t like Mitt…He’s a slash & burn operator and did the same thing in this race he did in 08′ which is Tancredo everything…which is stupid strategy.

just is…GOP has to split that block to win.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Can’t stomach Santorum ,hold out hope for Newt.

TheGarbone on January 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Newt’s reputation is in disrepute
And he can’t fix it because he’s destitute
It’s a fact you can’t refute
Or even refudiate

MJBrutus on January 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Hang in there Newt…!

Seven Percent Solution on January 6, 2012 at 2:57 PM

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Yeah, well he should have figured out in 3.2 seconds that Thompson was a terrible candidate. This is one reason why, while I love Rush, I’ve learned to disregard his opinions on electing conservatives.

Lately he’s been saying preposterous stuff which is really out of touch with reality. Things like, “People don’t like Palin because they’re jealous”. I heard him suggest a few minutes ago that people think Perry is “dumb” because the media told them to think that way. This is silly. Perry does come across as dumb possibly/probably because he’s on pain meds (or so his supporters tell me). Sorry, but it is what it is. I’m sure he’s a terrific governor but so far he’s been an awful Prez candidate (and may I say that besides his debate performances, his part-time congress idea is idiotic.)

P.S. Not to pick on Perry – I only heard a minute or two of what Rush had to say and it happened to be about Perry.

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM

MJBrutus on January 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yeah…Newt has a problem.

But Newt is ticked off and that will be Mitt’s problem in two successive debates.

Whether he will get under Romney’s skin like Perry did is tough to say.

Perry got under Romney’s skin because Perry knows two things about Romney and is a scrappy visceral fighter as opposed to an intellectual fighter.

1. He knows Romney is probably a snob…peasants have a keen nose for that & Rick Perry represents exactly the kind of peasant Romney can’t stand…A successful & likable peasant.

2. Perry has everything in his record Romney doesn’t & Perry can use this to appeal to other peasants if he has enough time…He knows it and Romney knows it. Romney wants him out before the Texas Primary in April because Texas has 155 delegates.

Gingrich can be an effective visceral fighter too…so it will be interesting to see how he does in those debates & if he can get under Romney’s skin.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM

that’s entertainment

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Santorum will come back to earth in SC once his record comes out.

His long, strong record of being a union toady is one thing. Against repeal of Davis-Bacon, which runs up the cost of every single federal project, and opposed a national right to work law. SC is sensitive about union thugs after our recent experience with Boeing and the NLRB.

He will have to explain why his kids’ cyber-charter school tuition was paid by his old district in PA when the family was living in Virginia.

He will have to explain if he claimed homestead exemptions on two houses in separate states as sole legal residences to get tax breaks.

He will have to explain how he was able to buy a huge house in Northern Virginia for “$0″ – that’s what the property record says, not “no money down,” but “no money at all.”

South Carolina has backed the eventual nominee every single time we’ve had a primary. Our winner is your winner. Watch and learn.

Adjoran on January 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Adjoran on January 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

SC is gonna be interesting.

One story from Iowa was that Perry was flooded by calls from his donors and supporters in SC to stay in the race & this factored in although I think the whole thing was kinda a fake anyway to get Bachmann out the next morning so she wouldn’t drag it out any longer which she could have done for weeks. Knocks her out of the debates which was the only lifeline she had.

Anyhow…I cracked up when I saw Perry’s tweet as she was bowing out.
Kinda snubbed the old media too which was funny.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Now Herman Cain has his new bus tour for a media grab so the circus rolls on.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Ha! You certainly have some “entertaining” theories about Romney, like your “snob v. peasant” theory.

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Now Herman Cain has his new bus tour for a media grab so the circus rolls on.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Yep and he has been all over FOX and they won’t even put Perry’s name on one of their online polls @ Fox. The same trick Frank Luntz used on his site asking about debate feedback a few debates back, listed everyone but Perry. They are so in the tank for anyone but Perry it isn’t even amusing and people are letting them get away with it.

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM

This cannot be for real. I’m a S.C. primary voter and I don’t know one person voting for Mitt; in fact, everybody I talk to is virulently anti-Mitt and distressed.

Boadicea on January 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I guess if you are not used to listening to people from the south speak you would say that, but to those of us who are used to their southern drawl he doesn’t sound dumb at all. I suppose you think Haley Barbour sounds dumb, too? Yet he has been another very successful southern governor… and has that same southern drawl, even more pronounced. Putting a person down because he doesn’t speak at a NE clips IS snobish and says more about you than the person you are criticizing.

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM

So I googled

Perry sounds like Bush

Search
About 9,460,000 results (0.24 seconds)

Michelle Bachmann is too short

Search
About 9,810,000 results (0.26 seconds)

Herman Cain can’t talk

Search
About 54,800,000 results (0.25 seconds)

Rick Perry is stupid

Search
About 39,800,000 results (0.18 seconds)

Only Romney can beat Obama
Search About 83,200,000 results (0.21 seconds)

Obama is smart

Search
About 383,000,000 results (0.17 seconds

Dang! I think Rush has a point

workingclass artist

Here’s a Google for you:

Romney can’t win:
About 235,000,000 results (0.19 seconds)

Romney can’t beat Obama
About 10,200,000 results (0.17 seconds)

Romney is racist
About 43,200,000 results (0.22 seconds)

Romney is gay
About 215,000,000 results (0.89 seconds)

The only point here is you’re an idiot.

xblade on January 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM

It’s not as though Mitt doesn’t know what’s coming and hasn’t heard the critics over the Brett Beair (sp?) thing. Don’t expect to handle it with anything but good grace.

He knows that Newt is now taking the low route :-)

MJBrutus on January 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Godzilla

Awww look, a liberal moron, lol.

xblade on January 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I don’t see how Romney loses the race at this point…

Lawdawg86 on January 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Apparently South Caroline has picked up the Iowa virus, COWPIES-FOR-BRAINS!!! Hey South Carolina, you had it right, yes RIGHT, when you had Gingrich ahead!!! So because of a bunch of crap attack ads, you’re buying into the “baggage” crap. “He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone.” More at you folks being stoned watching the garbage attack stuff, because that too is totally screwing up your common sense, COWPIES-FOR-BRAINS, S.C!!! RINO Romney (aka Obama-Lite)??? REALLY???

Colatteral Damage on January 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Rapunzel

Nice try, lol. I live in the south. His southern drawl has nothing to do with it. It’s his mumbling, bumbling, and near incoherence in the debates that is the problem. If any candidate on the stage turned in the same debate performance time and time again as Perry, they would be at the bottom too.

xblade on January 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Awww look, a liberal moron, lol.

xblade on January 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Careful, or he’ll make you eat the peanuts out of his you-know-what.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

He will have to explain why Carolina taxpayers had to fund a $500,000 Polar bear exhibit at the Pittsburgh zoo, and explain why it was necessary and prudent to earmark the money. Adjoran on January 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Texas is a donor state…Interesting chart here.

Texas,California & New York pay almost twice the amount in federal taxes as other states. NY has an earmark ratio of 25.5%. TX – 40.8% CA – 43.2% By contrast Mississippi, the last state on the list, remarkably receives 11 times more than its proportional share.

“The connection between political power and earmarking prowess is hardly surprising. More startling is the disparity between the shortchanged earmark donor states and the earmark beneficiary states. Perhaps politicians from donor states are unaware of the extent to which their constituents subsidize out-of-state projects. More likely, most congressmen are successfully pulling off a political sleight of hand – trumpeting their occasional earmark project and hoping it distracts their constituents from the disproportionately large number of earmarks in other states.”

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 3:59 PM

South Carolina really is the Waterloo for the NotRomney coalition, and the three remaining candidates will likely be spending their entire wad there, fighting over the same voters and splitting up the vote. Had Gingrich and Perry dropped out, I would say Santorum had an excellent shot at going toe to toe with Romney, but split 3 way, not going to happen.

If Romney wins South Carolina, it really is over, and after coming off the heels of a 20 point blowout in New Hampshire, I’d say it’s the most likely scenario at this point.

BradTank on January 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM

“The unspoken rule on Capitol Hill is, “Don’t criticize my pork; I won’t criticize yours.” But regardless of how one feels about earmarks, lawmakers should pay closer attention to their colleagues’ projects — because this pork isn’t getting distributed equally. Vast regions of the nation are getting the short end of the stick…

Thirty-four states and the District of Columbia are “earmark donor states.” Their citizens receive only a small percentage of earmarks relative to the share of taxes they send to Washington. Yet 90 percent of the U.S. population lives in these donor states…”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/45212.html#ixzz1iiMEDNMw

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Oh yeah, all you STUPID American people who think RINO Romney (aka Obama-Lite) is a lock to beat Obast@rd, google “RACISM IN MORMONISM” – 3.2 Million articles come back. Just exactly what do you think Axlerod and his minions in the MSM will do with that???
Your boy is done the minute he gets the nomination. TOAST!?! And there is nothing the so-called conservative media will be able to do to counterasct it. NOTHING. It’s kinda like assh@le Al Gore with his screaming “HE BETRAYED THIS COUNTRY!?!” Suddenly, Bush was a moron. What the Republicrats really need is a screamer like Al to ENUMERATE the unmittigated ignorance of our Constitution that the Jack@ss-In-Chief displays every day, even when he’s on the golf course.

Colatteral Damage on January 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Er, I have lived in the South since 2000. South Carolina and Georgia- is that “Southern” enough for ya?

And I do not think Haley Barbour sounds dumb or is dumb or anything of the sort. Indeed, I defended him here, today. I also spent a lot of time today defending………> George Bush.

To repeat: Perry’s own supporters have stated that he’s on pain meds due to back surgery. Is it “snobish” [sic] to say that?

P.S. If you want to speculate what my comment says about me as a “person”, I hope you won’t mind if I note that your entire comment indicates to me that you’re either a very dim bulb or not the smartest tool in the shed. I’ll let you choose…

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Oh no, that might cost the GOP the African-American vote. /

Lawdawg86 on January 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Interesting how you always choose to make personal attacks against anyone here who disagrees with your analysis.

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

xblade on January 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Have you watched the last few debates? Because he has done very well. In fact people have rated his performance right at the top in the last three or four debates. Let’s see how he does tomorrow.

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Boo freaking hoo. You started it child. You made an idiotic comment about my character, I responded appropriately…

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Colatteral Damage on January 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Really that’s the best you’ve got? Racism in Mormonism? Really? Do you have any statements made by Romney himself?

Are you even aware that a Romney (Marion G. Romney) was part of the leadership of the Church when the “racism” was removed?

All Mitt has to do is come out and say; “Yes, there were some policies of the LDS Church that I didn’t agree with. Just as there may be some policies of the Catholic Church that not all Catholics agree with. I was overjoyed to the point of weeping when the policy was removed.”

end of story.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Colatteral Damage on January 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

By the same token, who do you think is going to have a harder time with the Prop 8 folks? Mitt, for being LDS or Santorum for actually having made statements against homosexual marriage?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM

NEWSFLASH: Results of the latest XYZ Poll indicate Romney already enjoying his first year in office!!!11!1eleventy!!!

I find these Romney-Coronation attempts at voter manipulation disgusting.

Czar of Defenestration on January 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Godzilla – you need to realize that social cons are just on the opposite side of the same equation. You make the same value judgements and so if they are stupid – so are you.

More than half the country is opposed to gay marriage – the young generally are not, though their opinion will change as they age and they will be replaced by young who will increasingly feel gay marriage is no big deal. I hope it turns out not to be, though regardless of what the state says, marriage is a man and a woman, and just because my state may say otherwise won’t change my mind one bit.

If you dig a little deeper you find most people figure gays can do what they want – what they still dislike is the civil rights aura the gay groups like to place over their lifestyle choice. I don’t like the practice and will never view it as normal. You can’t legislate that away. It doesn’t mean I want to be in the bedrooms legislating it. And Santorum won’t do anything nationally except require his DOJ to defend the DOMA. That’s it. I wouldn’t vote for a US Constitutional Amendment to outlaw abortion and it is a complete non-starter. Santorum won’t waste any time with it and will probably just lend support to state initiatives to limit the practice. Given those realities – I am more worried about how he might choose to use the federal purse to promote interventions in the economy. On that I will be listening and deciding whether he is worth voting for.

I don’t think Santorum’s momentum will last but as you reference Santorum’s constitutional argument on contraception – even though I disagree with the law at the base of the SC ruling you referenced, the ruling is wrong. There was nothing unconstitutional about the law. The states have significant police powers not held by the feds. And there is zero right to privacy in the US Constitution – otherwise the 10th Amendment would not exist.

Zomcon JEM on January 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Colatteral Damage on January 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Please read up on George Romney’s impeccable record on Civil Rights before you make anymore ignorant statements about RACISM IN MORMONISM.

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

17 trillion, I know that’s too much for you to comprehend toots, but that’s a lot of $. Maybe you shouldn’t be so damn calm.

noeastern on January 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Dream on Morrissey.

Santorum is toast. He hasn’t even been vetted for 5 minutes; but it’s starting. By the time they’re done with him, Santorum’s own wife won’t recognize him. And, voters won’t vote for him.

By the way, I won’t vote for him and I never would have; he’s just another BIG-GOVERNMENT IDEOLOGUE. Newt’s clone. The GOP needs to be done with these people. Let’s focus on FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY and lose the evangelicals and neo-cons.

mountainaires on January 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM