Perry hitting “Values” theme in South Carolina push

posted at 2:25 pm on January 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Since his surprise kind-of-exit from the race and then even more surprising “still in the race” announcement, people have been wondering how Rick Perry will breath a second wave of life into his primary hopes. New Hampshire looks pretty much out of reach for him, and Rick Santorum is sucking all the oxygen out of the room in terms of polling in the south right now. As predicted, it seems that Governor Perry will go the route many of us anticipated on the night of the Iowa caucuses and make his last stand in South Carolina.

Perry will make his presence known in the Palmetto State before he even sets foot there.

An aide to Perry told ABC News that the campaign would begin running statewide TV ads on broadcast and cable in South Carolina on Friday. Make Us Great Again, a pro-Perry super PAC, has blanketed the state with television ads since November.

Perry will bring the one-on-one retail politicking he displayed during his Iowa bus tour to South Carolina over the course of the next two weeks. The campaign will likely downsize from the Faith, Jobs and Freedom bus it drove through Iowa for three weeks and opt instead for a suburban caravan as it travels through a smaller state, focusing most of its time in the northern area.

Assisting in this effort is the fact that Perry probably still has significantly more money than Santorum and somewhat of a better established campaign infrastructure. They were able to get their first ad up on the air very quickly and had the money to do a pretty substantial media buy. In it, he’s not talking policy, jobs, taxes, etc. so much as he’s swinging back to his original line of attack: focusing on his strong family values, which should play well in South Carolina. Here’s the first ad for your consideration.

“As the son of tenant farmers from the West Texas town of Paint Creek, I learned the values of hard work, faith, and family.

I took those values with me when I served our country as a pilot in the Air Force.

I returned home to farm and ranch with my father and married my high school sweetheart.

The values I learned served me well as governor of Texas and will continue to guide me as president.

I’m Rick Perry, and I approve this message.”

If Perry can pull this off it will be one of the greatest comeback stories in GOP primary history. (Of course, given the strange, roller coaster nature of this race, everything is history making to some extent.) Since the voting ended in Iowa, there have been some tremors of doubt over whether or not Santorum could go the distance and defeat Obama. Perry would no doubt like to capitalize on those concerns and try to overturn the tables and replace the Pennsylvanian as the Romney alternative. In fact, he’s already put out a video to that effect.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Rick Perry will breathe</em> a second wave of life…

Sheesh.

Akzed on January 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Why the picture of Michael Dukakis on a “Fifth” Perry thread?

Horace on January 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Good visuals, shame about the substance.

lexhamfox on January 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Hot Gassers for Perry!

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Hot Gassers for Perry!

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Perry has been trending up in the Hot Gas polls. He was #1 in the most recent one, I think.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I love Perry despite his flaws (debate gaffes). I think he’s the best candidate we have, but I realize he’s a long shot. I’d rather see him use the gas in the tank to swipe at Romney.

El_Terrible on January 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Perry should have that picture of him and the one with bho on his ‘girl’ bike. I wish you luck Perry, I would vote for you.
L

letget on January 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I donated money to Governor Perry and I hope that some of my fellow conservatives do the same. He has a record of Conservative governing/job growth and getting things done. He is the only person running that can run on his record of accomplishments i.e Voter ID, Against Sanctuary cities, lower taxes, less regulation. I know he has a lot of supporters on this site and we need to come back and beat Mitt.

jrfromdallas on January 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Broken record here

Redo the “America’s calling” ad pronto!

gophergirl on January 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I’d dang sure throw a pity vote to Perry before I’d throw a suicide to Obama and I bet there’s a whole lot of that fever out there.

DanMan on January 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM

If Perry makes the right moves he can be competitive in SC and give himself some steam for FL. It is completely possible. Those who think it isn’t clearly don’t know their history.

blatantblue on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Redo the “America’s calling” ad pronto!

gophergirl on January 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

That ad was fantastic. They waited too long to air it.

El_Terrible on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

ahem suicide vote

DanMan on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Of the entire field, Perry was my third choice, behind Santorum (my first from the start), and Bachmann.

I like Perry, but he has a few problems. First, he directly insulted the GOP base by calling them heartless on illegal immigration. Second, he’s had moments at debates where he’s frozen or has failed to remember details, including those pertinent to his own policy proposals. That’s led many to conclude, fairly or unfairly, that he’s dumb. Third, although not majorly, he’s shifted around enough on values-issues to make him less trustworthy than Bachmann or Santorum, switching from states’ rights on abortion and gay marriage to wanting a Federally recognized right to life and definition of marriage.

Whereas Perry has shifted, not much admittedly, but enough to draw scrutiny, Santorum has remained a stalwart social conservative. Love him or hate him, you know where he stands. He hasn’t directly insulted the GOP base, he’s well-spoken, and he has given the GOP economic debate a breath of fresh air by talking about resurrecting manufacturing, better trade agreements, and ensuring that America remains a land of opportunity and economic mobility — themes that aren’t explicitly stated when one simply praises abstract markets.

I don’t think Perry has any duty or obligation to drop out. He can compete so long as he has the will to do so. I respect the man, and he has a good jobs record as governor of Texas. In the end though, for the aforementioned reasons, I prefer Santorum.

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

It would be a true come-back “miracle” if he can post a top three finish in the South Carolina primary, otherwise his campaign is toast.

Logus on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

That ad was fantastic. They waited too long to air it.

El_Terrible on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

It was the best he’s done IMO. There was almost universal praise for it on the web, TV, etc.

Those kind of ads make people stop and take notice.

gophergirl on January 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Nice ad…

… Hang in there Rick!

Seven Percent Solution on January 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Logus on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Santorum had a poll showing 3% support a couple of weeks before Iowa. Are we out of “miracles” in this crazy election cycle?

ZGMF_Freedom on January 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I want to start hearing substance from all these candidates.

How would they govern? What would their policies be in all the
critical areas? How will they be different from Obama?
And I want to hear conviction.

Amjean on January 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I have seen miracles before. Hope I see another. Bottom line is that Perry is the most fiscally conservative, less intrusive government person left in the race. From his tax reform proposal to the part time congress proposal he should be the person that we support. Obviously, that is my opinion.

Full disclosure: I will vote for the Republican nominee regardless of who that person may be. And give them my full support.

dhugh on January 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

He can try to catch fire when santorum crashes

Flapjackmaka on January 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Perry has to do something soon!
I hope the polling on Perry is wrong.

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I’ve noticed an uptick in Perry’s support among more high information voters (Hot Gas; internet sites). Heck, he was even #2 over at Romney Central/Althouse’s site. And you don’t get any more borderline liberal Romney republican than Althouse.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 6, 2012 at 2:47 PM

It is a long campaign, and to continue on requires dedication, cash and a good volunteer staff, not just paid staff.

Candidates can roll their own for this and keep going if they are smart and can see that while they might not have loads of cash, if they can get good volunteers for a message that gets to them, then they can continue on.

Complain as you want about RP, but he has that sort of mixture, and it lets him hang in far longer than traditional staffing arrangements. Romney typifies the old 20th century methods of running, and while paid staff is nice, it doesn’t have the vigor of a volunteer staff that has a message they support. Perry has cash, decent paid staff and needs to pick up volunteers. Santorum has little cash, small staff and people volunteering which got him so close in IA.

ajacksonian on January 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

He can try to catch fire when santorum crashes

Flapjackmaka on January 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

He doesn’t have to wait for that.

While everyone is concerned with NH, he has the luxury of being solely focused on SC.

Santorum’s momentum from IA will not be enough to push him to the top in NH. His loss in NH will stunt his momentum and effect his numbers in SC.

Huntsman will not win, but perhaps his numbers, combined with Santorum’s, will be enough to stunt the margin of victory for Romney. Romney’s departure for SC was a poor strategic move. Gives Huntsman and Santorum an opening for the next few days.

During all of this, Perry should spend EVERY SINGLE PENNY of his money on an ad push/ground game framework in SC. Get on Rush, get on Hannity, and produce stellar interviews. He needs to kill it in the next debate, and campaign like he’s never campaigned before on the ground in SC. Ads in districts that might not be winnable, and intense campaigning on the ground in districts he has a shot at.

By the time SC rolls around, Huntsman will be fizzling, as will Gingrich. Santorum is going to lose momentum because of NH, and Romney won’t be looking at strong because I doubt his victory will be as huge as people expect in NH.

This is where Perry can come in, have a good showing, and revive his campaign with cash and support. That will at least give him some time to work Florida.

It’s a long shot but it’s better than a stick in the eye. He can compete. He can accomplish.

blatantblue on January 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

And hell, why not give it all you got? People donated money. Spend it all before you throw in the towel.

blatantblue on January 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

The longer there are more candidates in the race, the better it bodes for Perry.

Anywho…

blatantblue on January 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Two problems – 1) money can’t buy love, votes or respect and 2) even Erick Erickson is screaming for Perry to make major changes in his failed campaign.

whatcat on January 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Well, if you want Romney to be the R candidate, cheer for Newt, Rick and Perry to knock each other out as Romney stands on the sidelines with the cheerleaders…
True conservatives would realize this, and let go of their favorite ‘horse’ in favor of one who can realize the nomination.
Too bad Anybody But Obama is not running this time…
tom

tomw on January 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I decided to support Perry out of hope Niger Head Rock would be his Warm Springs, Camp David, Crawford ranch type retreat.
What’s in a name? Rick didn’t think it up.

borntoraisehogs on January 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Fly Boys–Yum!

vityas on January 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

“2012 is supposed to be the year the world ends. Have you seen the national debt? If the world doesn’t end, we are so screwed.” — Jay Leno

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

“Those kind of ads make people stop and take notice.”

Unfortunately for “Fifth” Perry, in elections they count votes, not the number of times people stopped and took notice of a candidate.

Horace on January 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Logus on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I’m betting Santorum will flare out in New Hampshire. Iowa was a unique case, a one-off. Santorum worked Iowa like a old-school suitor seeking a date with Betty Lou, all gee whiz flowers and candy and corsage and aw, shucks, ma’am (or like a gigolo playing an old widow, if you’re the cynical type). Santorum physically visited every Iowa county, spoke at every Lions Club dinner and Volunteer Fire Department fish fry, accosted strangers in the park if they gathered in groups of more than three. That’s a determined, even relentless approach and shows an indefatigable sense of purpose and drive, but it simply can’t be replicated. Santorum’s had an influx of cash, sure, but I think most if not all of his opponents have him beaten on that score–even Huntsman, whose father’s styrofoam fortune is a seemingly bottomless well.

If Santorum fades and Newt continues to be Newt, simultaneously arrogant, alienating, obnoxious and perpetually peeved, Perry has a real chance in South Carolina.

troyriser_gopftw on January 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Agree GG!

cmsinaz on January 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Someone link to the ‘do you believe in miracles?’, can’t do it at this time

cmsinaz on January 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Love the ad. Perry has the best record of anyone running. Creams everyone on exec experience w/ great job creation. Just creams them. His recently signed Tort reform is excellent. If anyone can make a comeback it’s Perry. He’s never lost a primary or a general. Rush had great love for Perry today on his show.

kerrhome on January 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I only hope that honor and courage are still recognized in this country !
Go for it Gov. Perry !

Lucano on January 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Please recall what a Benedict Arnold McCain is.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I have yet to see the topic of the Trans Texas corridor discussed much either from supporters or detractors of Governor Perry’s presidential campaign.

I live in Texas. Since 2002 I have been bothered by Rick Perry’s Trans Texas Corridor project which thankfully was killed before it got off the ground. It was to be a huge eminent domain land grab and would have transferred ownership and control of vast amounts of land from private land owners to a Spanish conglomerate. It also was to involve “high speed rail”, which I find invariably synonymous with “giant government boondoggle.”

If you support Perry, but have not acquainted yourself with his Trans Texas Corridor project, I strongly urge you to look into it.

He was definitely its head cheerleader.

MessesWithTexas on January 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I think it’s time for Perry to reboot his campaign by focusing on Obama instead of the other Republican candidates. Perry’s record in Texas is the strongest to go up against Obama. I’d love to see an ad where he says, “America, I inherited a Bush economy too!” It’s his greatest strength and he has nothing to lose at this point. I also love the line “Are you better off today than you were $4 trillion dollars ago” (altho it’s up to $5 trillion, sigh). As the veteran in the race (RP doesn’t count) Obama’s defense cuts provide a great issue for Perry in SC and Fla.

I think he should also talk about how he looks forward to debating Obama and the comparison of his record to Obama’s record. Who doesn’t want to see that? He might actually call Obama “bro” or “dude”. Priceless, I’m telling you!

We really have to reverse this only Romney is electable.

Perry/Jindal 2012

monalisa on January 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM

troyriser_gopftw on January 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Possibly, but I would imagine that Mr. Santorum doesn’t expect to do well in New Hampshire anyway.

New Hampshire would/should more naturally suit Romney especially, but certainly Huntsman, as well as Gingrich and even Ron Paul.

The Ricks are better suited to South Carolina and to be sure, that’s no doubt the last stand not only for Perry but Santorum.

Conceivably however, because of some of Santorum’s record and standing fiscally, he may fare decently in Florida just as Gingrich could.

We shall see what we shall see, with South Carolina a week away and mere days after New Hampshire. Santorum needs to place third or fourth and ahead of Gingrich – and Perry to get into South Carolina with some momentum. Perry gave up completely on New Hampshire so it’s irrelevant to him.

Perry’s problem I believe is that he’s continued to poll poorly in South Carolina and unless he can pull a top three in SC, he’s done.

By Florida we could well have a three or four man race. Romney and Paul will be in Florida; who the third and/or fourth people will we’ll find out by next Saturday evening. I’m suspecting either Santorum and/or Gingrich.

I think Huntsman’s done, even if he continues on to South Carolina, he’s toast there.

Logus on January 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM

MessesWithTexas on January 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Trying the left liberal talking points aren’t you.

Perry has signed into law protection against eminent domain and when alerted to the threat of land grabs from the Trans Texas corridor (TTC), so scuttled the program and bound by law under scorched earth mandate that the TTC shall never rise again under an name and earned him the endorsement of the highest ranking conservative in Texas, Wayne Christian

bzip on January 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM

And, I say Paul will be in Florida because even if he doesn’t do well in New Hampshire or South Carolina, Ron Paul has shown that he likes to kick a dead horse. Recall he stayed in the primary race long after it was clearly evident he wasn’t going to get the nomination and that his race was lost. I doubt he’s learned his lesson.

I see Paul sticking it out until at least Super Tuesday, the end of March at the latest.

Logus on January 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM

This approach didn’t work in Iowa. I kinda doubt that it’s gonna work in South Carolina.

What he needs to do is have a series of semi-wonky videos on YouTube that talk about how to achieve his goals as president that make him look smart outside the debates.

beatcanvas on January 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Hispandering is not a conservative value.

Rebar on January 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Its amazing to me how the media has just about blacked out Perry. He finished badly in Iowa. So what?

Amazing that the networks, cable and even the GOP want this done and over before most of us even get to vote in the primary.

poljunkie51 on January 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM

dhugh on January 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I think that p/t congress proposal is asinine. Just on a practical basis, most people can’t hold a job and work in Congress. Most jobs or businesses don’t have that sort of flexibility. Moreover, the problem is not that they spend too much time in Washington, it’s that too many are lifelong bureaucrats who don’t understand the free market economy and think central-planning is the way to go. Now, it’s great to have people who had successful business careers in their former lives…

BTW, the fact that Perry is collecting a salary and a pension doesn’t look very good in this context.

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Looks like the ads I saw here up northeast PA.

Hawt. Admit it!

:D

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

This is what Perry is doing today to relax before going to NH. He does not play golf:

Ya gotta love that. Romney and Santorum are a little squishy on 2a issues. If I have a candidate litmus tests issue, it is that one.

juliesa on January 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I meant NW PA. Sheesh. Mango tea.

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Perry is the only chance we have, if we let the media and elites convince us to ignore this wonderful governor for someone much less capable we are making a huge mistake. Rush was on a rampage today about the way Perry has been vilified.

Tn.-Vol on January 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Hispandering is not a conservative value.

Rebar on January 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM

then you had better go after Newt for that.

juliesa on January 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

then you had better go after Newt for that.

juliesa on January 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Only if you go after Perry first.

Rebar on January 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Santorum is a pro-life statist. You either believe in free markets or you don’t. Santorum doesn’t. That is why free market conservatives will turn on him.

Bill C on January 6, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Rebar on January 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM

No, I won’t go after either for trying to market to the fastest growing demographic.

juliesa on January 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM

ajacksonian on January 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

What makes you say that? Mitt got the sigs needed in Virginia with only one paid staffer in charge – the rest were volunteers.

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

So that is all you care about — social issues? Because that is the ONLY place Santorum is conservative. He IS Bush II.. .a “compassionate” conservative. He is also not a supporter of the fiscally conservative Tea Party ideals… as evidenced in this video yesterday

Rick Perry, OTOH is not only a social conservative, he is a fiscal conservative and has the record in Texas to back it up. He is also the only veteran in the race…. and he was a strong and early supporter of the Tea Party movement and the values they espouse….. here is video of him at a Tea Party……

Sure Santorum speaks well……. no southern drawl there……. but are you aware of his RECORD!

NEA
Voted for taxpayer funding of the National Endowment for the Arts.
Voted against a 10% cut in the budget for National Endowment for the Arts.

Bankruptcy
Voted for a Schumer amendment to make the debts of pro-life demonstrators not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Defense and Foreign Policy

Voted for the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC).
Voted against requiring the President to certify that the CWC is effectively verifiable.

Voted against requiring the President to certify that that Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, North Korea, China, and all other countries determined to be state sponsors of terror have joined CWC prior to submitting the instrument of ratification.

Voted for the START II Treaty
Voted to allow the sale of supercomputers to China.
Voted to ban antipersonnel landmines
Voted against increasing defense spending offset by equivalent cuts in non-defense spending.
Voted to require that Federal bureaucrats get the same payraises as uniformed military.
Voted to allow food and medicine sales to state sponsors of terror and tyranical regimes such as Libya and Cuba.
Voted to limit the President’s authority to impose sanctions on nations for reasons of national security unless the sanctions were approved by a multilateral regime.
Voted against requiring Congressional authorization for military action in Bosnia.
Voted to give $25 million in foreign aid to North Korea
Voted to weaken alien terrorist deportation provisions. If the Court determines that the evidence must be withheld for national security reasons, the Justice Department must still provide a summary of the evidence sufficient for the alien terrorist to mount a defense against deportation.
Voted against delaying the India Nuclear until the President certified that India had agreed to suspend military-to-military exchanges with Iran.
Voted against the Conventional Trident Missile Program

Nominations
Voted for Richard Paez to the 9th Curcuit (cloture)
Voted for Sonia Sotomayor, Circuit Judge
Voted for Richard Holbrooke to be Ambassador to the UN
Voted for Margaret Morrow to be District Judge
Voted twice for Marsha Berzon to the 9thg Circuit
Voted for Mary McLaughlin to be District Judge
Voted for Tim Dyk to be District Judge
Voted for James Brady to be District Judge

Labor
Voted against National Right to Work Act
Voted against Real of Davis-Bacon Prevailing union wages
Voted for Alexis Herman to be Secretary of Labor
Voted for mandatory Federal child care funding
Voted for Trade Adjustment Assistance.
Voted for Job Corps funding
Voted twice in support of Fedex Unionization
Voted against allowing a waiver of Davis-Bacon in emergency situations.
Voted for minimum wage increases six times here here here here here and here
Voted to require a union representative on an IRS oversight board.
Voted to exempt IRS union representative from criminal ethics laws.
Voted against creating independent Board of Governors to investigate IRS abuses.

Guns

Voted to require pawn shops to do background checks on people who pawn a gun.
Voted twice to make it illegal to sell a gun without a secure storage or safety device
Voted for a Federal ban on possession of “assault weapons” by those under 18.
Voted for Federal funding for anti-gun education programs in schools.
Voted for anti-gun juvenile justice bill.

Reform

Voted for funding for the legal services corporation.
Voted twice for a Congressional payraise.
Voted to impose a uniform Federal mandate on states to force them to allow convicted rapits, arsonists, drug kingpins, and all other ex-convicts to vote in Federal elections.
Voted for the Specter “backup plan” to allow campaign finance reform to survive if portions of the bill were found unconstitutional.
Voted to mandate discounted broadcast times for politicians.
Voted for a McCain amendment to require State and local campaign committees to report all campaign contributions to the FEC and to require all campaign contributions to be reported to the FEC within 24 hours within 90 days of an election.

Immigration
Voted against increasing the number of immigration investigators
Voted to allow illegal immigrants to receive the earned income credit before becoming citizens
Voted to give SSI benefits to legal aliens.
Voted to give welfare benefits to naturalized citizens without regard to to the earnings of their sponsors.
Voted against hiring an additional 1,000 border partrol agents, paid for by reductions in state grants.

Taxes
Voted against a flat tax.
Voted to increase tobacco taxes to pay for Medicare prescription drugs
Voted to increase tobacco taxes to fund health insurance subsidies for small businesses.
Voted to increase tobacco taxes to pay for an $8 billion increase in child healh insurance.
Voted to increase tobacco taxes to pay for an increase in NIH funding.
Voted twice for internet taxes.
Voted to allow gas tax revenues to be used to subsidize Amtrak.
Voted to strike marriage penalty tax relief and instead provide fines on tobacco companies.
Voted against repealing the Clinton 4.3 cent gas tax increase.
Voted to increase taxes by $2.3 billion to pay for an Amtrak trust fund.
Voted to allow welfare to a minor who had a child out of wedlock and who resided with an adult who was on welfare within the previous two years.
Voted to increase taxes by $9.4 billion to pay for a $9.4 billion increase in student loans.
Voted to say that AMT patch is more important than capital gains and dividend relief.

Welfare
Voted against food stamp reform
Voted against Medicaid reform
Voted against TANF reform
Voted to increase the Social Services Block Grant from $1 billion to $2 billion
Voted to increase the FHA loan from $170,000 to $197,000. Also opposed increasing GNMA guaranty from 6 basis points to 12.
Voted for $2 billion for low income heating assistance.

Waste
Sponsored An amendment to increase Amtrak funds by $550 million
Voted to use HUD funds for the Joslyn Art Museum (NE), the Stand Up for Animals project (RI) and the Seattle Art Museum’s Olympic Sculpture Project (WA)
Voted to increase spending on social programs by $7 billion
Voted to increase NIH funding by $1.6 billion.
Voted to increase NIHnding by $700 million
Voted to for a $2 million earmark to renovate the Vulcan Monument (AL)
Voted for a $1 billion bailout for the steel industry
Voted against requiring that highway earmarks would come out of a state’s highway allocation
Voted to allow Market Access Program funds to go to foreign companies.
Voted to allow OPIC to increase its administrative costs by 50%
Voted against transferring $20 million from Americorps to veterans.
Voted for the $140 billion asbestos compensation bill.
Voted against requiring a uniform medical criteria to ensure asbestos claims were legitimate.
Voted to increase community development programs by $2 billion.

Spending and Entitlements
Voted to make Medicare part B premium subsidies an new entitlement.
Voted against paying off the debt ($5.6 trillion at the time) within 30 years.
Voted to give $18 billion to the IMF.
Voted to raid Social Security instead of using surpluses to pay down the debt.

Health Care
Voted to allow states to impose health care mandates that are stricter than proposed new Federal mandates, but not weaker.
Voted twice for Federal mental health parity mandates in health insurance.
Voted against a allow consumers the option to purchase a plan outside the parity mandate.

Education
Voted to increase Federal funding for teacher testing
Voted to increase spending for the Department of Education by $3.1 billion.
Voted against requiring courts to consider the impact of IDEA awards on a local school district.

Energy

Voted to allow the President to designate certain sites as interim nuclear waste storage sites in the event that he determines that Yucca Mountain is not a suitable site for a permanent waste repository. Those sites are as follows: the nuclear waste site in Hanford, Washington; the Savannah River Site in South Carolina; Barnwell County, South Carolina; and the Oak Ridge Reservation in Tennessee.

Voted to make fuel price gouging a Federal crime.

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Oops.. forgot the link for the above data on Santorums record

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

juliesa on January 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM

You think hispandering is a conservative value?

Rebar on January 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I like that ad. It’s warm, establishes a foundation for good character. It’s a great introduction to build on. Very nice.

Murf76 on January 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Hispandering is not a conservative value.

Rebar on January 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Ok this is where I step in, since I am Latina from Puerto Rico myself. I like the same message that Romney gives when it comes to Hispanics; “take a ticket and get back in the line”. Why? If Latinos no matter where they come from do this, any person(s) from any part(s) of the planet are doing so as well and there’s no targeting, no enforcement on that matter.

The legal system asking for that illegal immigrant to get back into court from a hearing after letting them go is stupid, stupid, stupid!!!! They cheat the system, “disappear” and reappear somewhere else, or on the same town! IDC what system is in place but it’s got to be as strong or stronger than the proposed ID card for voting, registration.

Gotta cut the red tape when it comes to due process and I betcha there’s tons of JOBS than can be created enforcing the law; dismantle what’s unnecessary and GET.THEM.OUT.

Another thing; in Puerto Rico (I dunno if it is still in place) there was a program where you could only get your welfare check by getting a job. The state can partner with businesses and give jobs to people that are low income and then they get off the couch and work like everyone else to get PAID.

About jobs that Americans don’t want to do and don’t care if illegals do it, like (in Puerto Rico) pick up coffee seeds? If people compare their welfare check to what farmers can pay others to help with their crops and see that the welfare check is larger they won’t bother getting up early in the morning, suit up for crops and learn a thing or two, there is no way you can motivate a lazy boy or girl to work. He’d rather get the check doing nothing than doing something!

More to come…

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM

If you’re on their path you should take that to him. He’s being vetted right now but let’s see how many “non-Romneys” we have left before we settle for the establishment and the media’s candidate.

Newt did a brilliant effing job of fetching that negative Romney ad.

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM

You think hispandering is a conservative value?

Rebar on January 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I think Newt is smart to put out flyers in Spanish. I don’t think marketing to Hispanic citizens is any different than marketing to evangelicals, to Italians, Jews, Bohemians, dog lovers, redneck gun nuts like me, or any other group.

juliesa on January 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

What?
They are already a part-time Congress!

They sit on their asses until mid-November and then start running around with their hair on fire and yelling about the government shutting down if everyone doesn’t agree to the next multi-trillion dollar budget increase!

They legislate for six weeks a year at most if you can even use that word to describe what they do!

The rest of the time they are busy either getting re-elected or lining their pockets!

Please.

Tenwheeler on January 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I’m with Perry for the long haul. I don’t think the field of candidates has to be whittled down so quickly. Only one state has voted, for goodness sake. I don’t like being told I have to support so-and-so because he is the inevitable candidate. Iowa and New Hampshire don’t speak for me. Sent money to Perry today. Praying for his campaign. God can work miracles. Let’s hope He decides to perform one in South Carolina!

FastTalker on January 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

On hispandering:

I don’t watch Univisión because they’re advocates of illegal immigrants and in the past they’ve done tons of sob stories on their sacrifices, suffering and then success (not mentioning by taking advantage of the system).

The GOP candidates MUST pander to Hispanics and grab tons of those Conservative Catholics (look them up) and those hard workers who dislike their countrymen actions and spread the word. Success on this is to get all the South engaged. If liberal states don’t care about their border security they can be called on it and let the voters decide. If I was POTUS I’d attempt to get illegal immigration laws on all the Southern borders as equal as possible to avoid confusion and thereby strengthen the border with equal amount of boots on the ground, drones, spooks you name it.

I wish each state had a bunch of “claws” like the arcades when we want to pick a stuffed toy. Pick ‘em by the t-shirt and drop ‘em back to the other side of the fence.

Funny, pathetic, sarcastic and stupid joke but heh do we wanna fry people like flies like Cain? Geesh!

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Thanks for the data. More of this will clarify much for the assemblage here.

Santorum…

Walk, quack = duck.

We sent 25 Million Dollars to NORTH KOREA?
No wonder we’re broke.

Tenwheeler on January 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM

You think hispandering is a conservative value?

Rebar on January 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

juliesa on January 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Every candidate MUST do this in order to bypass the Latino Univisión lamestream media (and Spanish media) to reach them. These people are spoonfed sob news, nasty jokes and…skimpy dressed women that make KK look like a nun.

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM

He was definitely its head cheerleader.

MessesWithTexas on January 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I posted this on another thread but here ya go & this guy is thorough. (TTC was an off shoot from the earlier 90′s “Inland Ports” idea…and California Unions helped kill that. The Inland Ports idea could have created transport hubs across Texas.

2. Trans-Texas Corridor

The “Trans-Texas Corridor” (TTC) term identifies a plan, introduced by Governor Perry in 2001, that some saw as the beginning of a “North American Union” highway system. It was to extend from the Texas border with Mexico to the border with Oklahoma and would be a 4,000 mile system with routes crisscrossing Texas. The $175+ billion dollar project would have been the largest engineering project ever proposed for the state of Texas.

When details of the plan became public, critics became concerned that it would lead to a “NAFTA Superhighway” that would facilitate the United States, Canada and Mexico merging into a North American Union (a fringe conspiracy theory).

As envisioned, the TTC consisted of multi-use right-of-ways that would be up to 1,200 feet wide to accommodate six 80 mph vehicle lanes, 4 truck lanes, two tracks each for high-speed rail, commuter rail, and freight rail, a 200 ft. wide utility zone to accommodate underground water, natural gas, and petroleum pipelines, telecommunications cables and high-voltage electric transmission lines. A full-sized right of way would have required 146 sq. acres per mile.

While the concept of multi-use right-of-ways can be considered forward-thinking and progressive (in the proper use of the word), many were concerned that the proposed methods of land acquisition and financing could take advantage of landowners and the taxpaying public to the benefit of private entities.

In March of 2005, a Comprehensive Development Agreement (CDA) was signed with Cintra/Zachry, a partnership between Cintra (Cintra Concesiones deInfraestructuras de Transporte,S.A.), an international developer of transport infrastructure, and Zachry Construction Corp., one of the country’s largest construction companies. There were several other participants in the CDA, but these are the two most prominent.

Headquartered in Madrid, Spain, with subsidiaries on three continents, Cintra is one of the world’s largest private-sector developers of transport infrastructure. Zachry is a privately held company founded in 1924 and headquartered in San Antonio,Texas. The concerns that critics raised over the TTC were:

* Cintra, a Spanish firm, was the largest financer. They would build, design and operate the highway (that included collecting toll revenue). While the Spanish firm would not own the system, they would benefit financially off of Texas’ infrastructure. All roads in Texas are owned by Texas and managed under Texas’ Department of Transportation’s (TxDOT) authority.
* Since most of the Trans-Texas Corridor roads would be toll roads, toll earnings would be used to pay investors (Cintra) and to maintain the roads. If any public money was used to pay for part of the TTC, it would constitute double taxation. Motorists would have contributed gasoline tax revenues towards building and maintaining Texas highways and still have to pay for tolls on the TTC.
* It was estimated that 580,000 acres (906 square miles) would have been taken from private owners (mostly ranch and farm land) and either purchased by, or seized (via eminent domain) by the state for the Trans-Texas Corridor.
* The possible misuse of eminent domain – confiscating private land for “public” use – was a major concern.

Perry’s dilemma

Here are the facts that were facing Governor Perry: Texas’ population is estimated to almost double by 2040 (growing by about 1,200 people a day right now). We’ll be approaching 44 to 45 million people by then. That’s not so far away. The TTC was an ambitious attempt to create a state-of-the-art, coordinated system of thousands of miles of roadways, rail lines, and gas transportation systems without raising taxes.

Fifty percent of the population in Texas is in the I-35 north/south corridor (roughly paralleling the route of the TTC). Infrastructure improvements (particularly roads) in that part of the state will be required to accommodate the growth.

What were his options?

The options were: 1) do nothing, and the state becomes so congested, the air quality gets impacted so negatively in those metropolitan areas along I-35 that you stifle economic growth. We know that doing nothing is not an acceptable alternative.

Or, 2) we could raise the gas tax by about $1/gal. That’s what the experts estimated that it would take, and it’s not sure that is even close to feasible. In recent years, it had been politically impossible to raise the gas tax by even a nickel or a dime/gal.

3) Wait for Washington to fund it? Well, good luck doing that. Our congressional delegation has not been very successful in getting Texas much more than nine cents back out of every dime that is sent to Washington in gas tax. Texas is a major donor state. Source: Environmental Working Group.

Finally, the last option was to use a Public/Private Partnership (P3) such that the private sector would build the infrastructure, and then recoup their investment via a user fee, i.e. tolls. It is important to note that P3s are a financing option, not a revenue source. Some current P3 examples in other states are: the Chicago Skyway, the South Bay Expressway in California, and the Capital Beltway high-occupancy toll lanes in DC. Here are more details on P3s from the Federal Highway Administration.

I-35 would have remained in place for those people who chose not to pay the toll. No “free” highways would have been converted to toll roads.

Some people are confused … they use the term “freeways.” There is no such thing as a freeway, no such thing as a free highway. There are only tax-funded roads and toll-funded roads.

Nevertheless, the TTC is now dead in Texas. It cannot be resurrected under any other name. In fact, the governor recently signed HB 1201, which removed all remaining references to the TTC from state statutes. Perry has not attempted to resurrect it or do an “end run” around the legislature and the people. Here is a local (Houston) story that sums up the public outcry over the TTC.

By law, toll roads in Texas can never be owned by anyone other than the state and are not being “leased away.” The public never relinquished ownership of any state roads.

The governor signed a law in 2005 that prevents a free road from being “converted” to a toll road. This is current law under the Transportation Code, Chapter 228.201 and he signed SB 18 on May 19, 2011, a bill which strengthened property owner’s rights when eminent domain is exercised by a government entity. Eminent domain “land grabs” were one of the big concerns that Texans had relating to the TTA.

Unlike the current administration in Washington, Perry finally heard the people and backed off…”

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I hate to say it but you’re absolutely right. It’s similar to why Rand Paul’s backed off some of his father’s views to have a fighting chance of being elected someday. If the choice is either hispandering or permanent irrelevancy…

MelonCollie on January 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Do you read what you write? You answered yourself in your next graph:

However for someone who’s been worrying about this for so long, you sure don’t know much about it…

MessesWithTexas on January 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

The Spanish company was to be the main contractor and manager, NOT the owner (Texas would own it). There never was a plan for “high speed rail”. Perry recognized the error of his ways and pushed legislation making eminent domain harder for the state to use.

cartooner on January 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

ProudPalinFan on January 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Good point. They need to hear our side of the story, by whatever means it takes.

juliesa on January 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Social issues isn’t all I care about (I also agree with the Neoconservatives), but no, I am not a Tea Party supporter. I support the general idea of balanced budgets, but I oppose the idea that you can never raise taxes at any time, for any reason.

As for Bush II, if that’s who he is, it’s even more reason for me to support Santorum. I happened to like Dubya’s governance.

Looking over the full list of what you have there, I’d have objections to several of them (around 10 to 20), but most of them I basically shrug my shoulders at. It shows he has flaws but does nothing to reorder my preferences on candidates.

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Perry is way, way better than Romney, Newt and Santorum on the 2nd Amendment. Romney is simply awful on the 2nd Amendment. How can any 2nd Amendment advocate not take this issue into account as a big factor?

Malachi45 on January 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

You like the fact that W (and Santorum) enacted the largest federal socialized medicine law since medicare and until Obamacare? You like the federal government dictating education policy to states and local communities? (Again W and Santorum) You care nothing for federalism and states rights?

Malachi45 on January 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Vote for Santorum so we can have a big spending, pro-union, un-electable, strident culture warrior with no executive experience who lost his own state by 20 points, nominee who will get torn to pieces by Obama and the media. Yeah, that will be great.

Malachi45 on January 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Redo the “America’s calling” ad pronto!

gophergirl on January 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM
That ad was fantastic. They waited too long to air it.

El_Terrible on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I emailed Anita & Gov. Perry both about this ad!! Plan on emailing one of his Senior Advisors as soon as I finish dinner, LOL

I noticed that many of his videos on Youtube will not allow comments and won’t allow you to see comments that have already been made. I know Google is tight with B.O., but that’s pretty trashy.

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Malachi45 on January 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I agree with Santorum when he said that the main problem with Medicare Part D was that there’s no means-testing, meaning that anyone from the bum on the street to Bill Gates can get assistance paying for their prescription drugs. It should be means-tested, but I’m not vehemently against it, no.

On education, localizing vs. Federalizing isn’t what’s at issue. The problem with education is four-fold:

1.) Teacher competence – teachers often earn some of the worst grades out of those who go to college, so it’s no wonder that the cluelessness becomes recursively engrained in successive generations
2.) Student effort & academic rigor – through grade inflation we allow students to put out next to no effort actually learning material
3.) Classroom discipline – we no longer allow disciplining of children to occur out of fear of a lawsuit
4.) Curriculum content – much of the content we now teach is garbage. Rainforest math? Aborigines? Native Americans? Give me some American history, real math with things like long division and logarithms still taught. Also, bring back grammar, spelling, and dictation — no more of this creativity / diversity / self-esteem nonsense

Localizing it doesn’t solve your problem. All it means is that you now have the same problems as before but with incompetent local bureaucrats rather than incompetent Federal ones. Remember, China has a highly centralized system, but they turn out consistently better students.

On Federalism and states rights, it’s often a cop-out for ducking moral issues where a state boundary line is irrelevant to the pertinent details of a situation. Federalism has its place, but it’s put on too high a pedestal in today’s GOP.

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

With your permission Rapunzel, from your post on this HA thread:

Hotair:http://hotair.com/archives/2012/01/04/perry-tweets-here-we-come-south-carolina/comment-page-4/#comment-5270350

Someone posted this on the SC For Perry Facebook Page:

]When the 25 MILLION residents of Texas asked for JOBS: Gov Perry delivered right to work, less regulations and lower taxes .

When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked for more affordable HC: Gov Perry delivered Tort Reform

When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked for voter Integrity: Gov Perry delivered Voter ID

When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked for lower Taxes: Gov Perry delivered a balanced budget, cut government waste and gave them a surplus .

When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked for lower energy costs : Gov Perry delivered

When the 25 Million residents said they HATED the light bulb mandate : Gov Perry got “shove that light bulb ban passed .

When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked to defund Planned Parenthood : Gov Perry delivered

When the 25 Million residents of Texas asked for more property rights : Gov Perry delivered a stronger eminent domain law.

When the Million residents of Texas asked for lower costs values in education : Gov Perry delivered

When the Million residents asked for stronger law enforcement : Gov Perry delivered , Judicial reforms , law enforcement reforms, abolish sanctuary cities , more funding for border security, (the federal obligation)

When the 25 Million residents of Texas faced hurricanes, droughts, fires, floods : Gov Perry delivered the assistance they needed .

When the Federal Gov’ment failed to deliver : Gov Perry delivered all that he could legally deliver under States Rights . ~ ~ The state of the state of Texas is working ~ ~

Rapunzel on January 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Its amazing to me how the media has just about blacked out Perry. …
poljunkie51 on January 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I think we’ve all noticed that. If it wasn’t for HA and the web, you would think only Romney/Gingrich/Santorum, etc were running.

Why S.C. would vote for Romney is a mystery to me.

Go Perry!!

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM

A part time Congress is a great idea. I think most members are rich enough with their 175,000 est salary & perks. Oh, don’t forget about the millions they make with insider trading!!
Oh, I forgot about the millions they make from the Lobbyists, LOL

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

whatcat on January 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

How many campaigns has Erick Erickson run?

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Voted to make fuel price gouging a Federal crime.

Rapunzel on January 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Good grief! WOW, he’s more in line with B.O. I don’t see how anyone can defend that.

You come up with some good info Rapunzel:-)

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

juliesa on January 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I agree. Campaigning is not a Conservative or Liberal idea. Rebar just likes to nitpick.

I saw a Political video in Spanish done by Romney(not Conservative)
B.O. and others do the same thing. Regarding Gov. Perry, the Hispanics already vote for him:-)

Go Perry!!

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM

FastTalker on January 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Amen to that!!

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Hot Gassers for Perry!

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

And “up twinkles”…

Fartnokker on January 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

If you can read that record of Santorum’s and still support him, then you are part of the problem in this Country. If you have a question about any that were listed, why don’t you research and post what you find? Flaws? Flaws? It tells me he’s a screaming lib!!

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Hey, I have a suggestion for you. If you want to tout Santorum, post on one of the other threads of his. This is a Gov. Perry thread. Just a FYI. This is what happens, commenters like to hijack a thread and get people talking about their Candidate. Not appreciated..I speak for myself by the way, not anyone else. However, if I wanted to talk about Santorum, I wouldn’t be on this thread.

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

How many campaigns has Erick Erickson run?

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

LOL

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Then you haven’t met many liberals, or you probably think everyone you know is a liberal. I’d say discounting anyone for anything as you seem to do is far more problematic, and will give Romney, hands down the worst guy we have, the nomination on a silver platter.

I don’t need to fall in love with a candidate, but I do need them to fall within an acceptable range. On the matters of first principles, Santorum’s right. No other candidate comes as close to a match on those as he does. Ergo, he gets my support.

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I commented on Perry’s values-bit, and said that while I respect it, it wasn’t as good as the candidate of my choice, Santorum. That’s on topic. If someone else wants to change it to a criticism of Santorum and respond to me, I’ll reply to that response. Perhaps you should direct your response to Rapunzel.

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Clearly your principles are not Conservative and mine are. That record of Santorum’s is anything BUT Conservative.

As far as meeting liberals you are correct. I don’t associate with them by choice. However, I worked the 2009 Obamacare via faxes/phone calls, every House and Senate member across this nation. So yes, I’m well aware of the Libs!! Every House & Senate Committee was contacted by me multiple times. A lib is all about slavery by their government policies they enact. And yes we have libs in the R party also.

bluefox on January 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Enh, I’m not going to get into a Conservative pissing contest with you, but I will say that I regard myself as a stalwart Social Conservative, and a Neoconservative second. I share little in common with the economic platform or the libertarians.

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Stoic Patriot on January 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

This is simple really. Show me where Santorum’s governing experience led to the type of leadership that equals results to Perry’s leadership.

Perry started as a legislator…So I’m not talking about team legislatin’ here.

For example after Perry has some legislative terms under his belt, switched parties & he ran for Agriculture Commissioner (Which in a state like Texas is a pretty big deal) Perry won beating Hightower (legendary rodeo in cowboy politics down here)

So now we have former Team Legislator Perry running an important administrative department with a good sized staff. Here’s an idea of what Perry was dealing with.

* Texas leads the nation in cattle, cotton, hay, sheep and wool, and goats and mohair production.
* Texas leads the nation in number of farms and ranches, with 247,500 farms and ranches covering 130.4 million acres.
* Texas also leads the nation in value of farm real estate.
* Rural lands, including privately owned forest, total 144 million acres, 86% of the state’s total land area.
* 12% of Texas’ population resides in rural areas.
* 1 of every 7 working Texans (14%) is in an agriculture-related job.
* 98.5% of Texas farms and ranches are family farms, partnerships or family-held corporations.
* The average age of Texas farmers and ranchers is 59 years.

The economic impact of the food and fiber sector totals more than $100 billion.
Cash receipts, including timber, total $19.8 billion.
Top 10 commodities in terms of cash receipts:
Cattle, cotton, milk, broilers, greenhouse & nursery, corn, wheat, timber, grain sorghum and vegetables.
Agricultural exports: to foreign countries totaled more than $6 billion.
Texas ranks # 4 overall behind California, Iowa and Illinois.

Texas’ national rank for selected commodity exports:

1 – Cotton & cottonseed, $1.7 billion

2 – Feeds & fodders, $509 million

2 – Peanuts, $56 million

3 – Live animals & meat, $740 million

3 – Hides & skins, $341 million

3 – Animal fats, $180 million

5 – Tree nuts, $41 million

6 – Poultry & poultry products, $266 million·

6 – Rice # 6 at $114 million

7 – Feed grains, $836 million

8 – Wheat & wheat products, $603 million

13 – Milk & milk products, $22 million

Perry was re-elected to a second term with 62% of the vote.

Does Santorum have Leadership experience like that? If he does I want to hear it from his supporters…otherwise he’s a lawyer who was a team player.

I think this legislative & administrative leadership experience prepared Perry to run for the LT Governorship and eventually become a successful Governor…In fact the longest serving governor in Texas history.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Thanks Rapunzel for the synopsis of Santorum’s voting record…Another spendthrift at the helm is not what we need. I would add that he is another career politician…He went from mommy and daddy’s house to college, law school, and a few short year’s later to the House of Representatives. No military or private business experience. Sorry, casting votes to spend other people’s money is not what leader’s are made of. This guy is unqualified to be dog-catcher. He is another Washington insider who will drift around for decades pocketing taxpayer money. Not what we need.! Let’s make this guy get a real job for once, in the private sector.

Nozzle on January 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Perry’s comeback isn’t anymore unlikely than Newt’s comback was (even if it has fizzled out): Newt was left for DEAD and came roaring back with as much as 40%+ in some polls.

McCain had an epic comeback, too. So this talk about how a Perry comeback would be “one of the greatest in history” is nonsense and is just to make Perry supporters feel hopeless. Not. Buying. It. Jazz.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM

ZGMF_Freedom on January 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

He most certainly did win the most recent HA poll (and as that MSM report showed: what happens here often precedes what happens nationally). He also won this Fox News poll which was a shock since usually Paul wins online polls:

Aslans Girl on January 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Why the picture of Michael Dukakis on a “Fifth” Perry thread?

Horace on January 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

That’s not a tank…but he looks so much like the young GWB…not that that’s a bad thing. ;-)

catquilt on January 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM