Herman Cain: I’ll make an “unconventional” endorsement two days before South Carolina votes

posted at 4:35 pm on January 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

The primary’s on Saturday the 21st. He’s promising to endorse on Thursday the 19th at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference, which happens to be hosting a presidential debate that same day. He’s timing it for maximum impact, in other words, right down to his choice of which primary to target: As a Georgia native, he might have a bit more sway over voters in SC than he would have had over Iowans, assuming he has any sway left over anyon.

Question: Who would value his endorsement the most? Perry’s desperate for positive buzz of any kind but Cain’s already ruled him and Ron Paul out. Huntsman would kill for some southern cred before the big vote but he’s guaranteed to be a longshot in SC. Why waste an endorsement on him if you’re Cain? The choice is between Romney, whom he endorsed four years ago, Santorum, and his buddy Newt. If he backs Romney, he gets the thanks of a likely nominee and possible future president for giving him a shot of grassroots appeal before the big vote. If he backs Santorum and Santorum pulls the upset, he gets to say he played conservative kingmaker (rightly or wrongly). Same is true if he backs Newt and Newt ends up edging out Santorum, and Newt would be especially grateful both for Cain’s vote of confidence and for the loyal friendship. I assume he’ll end up going with Romney, just because that’s his best bet to maximize leverage for his new “movement” going forward.

Exit question: What does he mean by “unconventional”?

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Exit question: What does he mean by “unconventional”?

Indeed.

IMO – that statement immediately rules out Romney who’s the choice of the “Coventional” Establishment Republican three-martini d-bag.

“Unconventional” from Cain could mean anything – but guarenteed – we’ll be talking about it.

Good to see him having some fun after all of the BS he had to endure.

Tim_CA on January 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Mimzey on January 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I agree. But I still will be curious to see what he has in mind. I just think he still has ideas he wants to get out and he wants to strike while the iron is hot. I realize ha has a big ego but for some reason, that doesn’t bother me particularly.

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I thought being a relentless attention whore was a liberal trait…who knew?

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Palin will be Jeff Probst, the Tea Party has spoken

smitty41 on January 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Has Herman Cain provided any new clarifying information about the woman who alleged a 13-year affair with him or pretending like it never happened? If he’s pretending like it never happened and he was in fact involved in an affair while running for President, I don’t trust the guy and who cares who he endorses.

apocalypse on January 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

+100

smitty41 on January 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Someone has to say it. He is going to endorse Sarah.

meci on January 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

smitty41 on January 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Thank you. You are too kind.

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

The name is going to be spelled out with anchovies on a pizza.
whatcat on January 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Thread winner.

Anyhoo, I was thinking he’d announce from the set of Dancing with the Stars.

Buy Danish on January 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Most excellent.

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Herman who?

MJBrutus on January 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Thank you, also. I appreciate your kind words.

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

P

atriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I agree. It was too obviously a smear. I think he is a good, honest man that truly loves America.

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I personally don’t think Cain is going to actually endorse a nominee yet- just some sort of idea/plan….

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

that could be, but still..he’s starting a whole different program revolving around his “plan” to move people to??…something.
This will be going on at the same time that other candidates will be campaigning for nomination/POTUS.
I don’t see the sense in it.

Mimzey on January 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Huntsman has been ordering a lot of pizza lately.

profitsbeard on January 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

A woman whom he has been secretly sending money to for years alleges that he is having an affair with her. Cain, nor anyone else, has provided any other plausible reason for his actions besides the obvious.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Run Herman Run.

/PDS Queen, Knucklehead

Instead he ran away as if someone stole the cheese off his pizza.

Frobenius on January 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Hot off the press….

Cain accuser agrees to vacate home in eviction case

And she’s still unemployed.

JPeterman on January 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I don’t see the sense in it.

Mimzey on January 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I know. Is it all drama or will it be worthy of the hoop-la. I will wait and see what it is all about. If it’s all a bunch of nothing, then no one will take Cain seriously ever again. Hah!- And I write this on a page of negative comments!

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

JPeterman on January 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Hmmm … interesting article.

Women’s advocacy? That’s not going to help her pay her back rent. Guess that’s why she’s still hoping for some kind of settlement. /s

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Personally, I believe that the Cain accusations were just that, accusations. With that said, I also believe that Cain is a man of principle and integrity and wouldn’t play games with his endorsement, I have a hard time seeing him endorse someone that he has some ideological differences with. His political leanings fall more in line Newt and Santorum. Newt’s economic plan is probably the closest to the 9-9-9 plan. One of the last questions in the Lincoln-Douglas debate between Newt and Cain was ask your own question to each other, Cain asked “would you consider VP” or something to that effect. Could have been a little respectful pandering, but the two did hit it off pretty well.

ritewhit on January 6, 2012 at 7:24 PM

How could this lying sexual predator influence your vote?

borntoraisehogs on January 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Herm knows the ladies love Cetera!

ES

English Springer on January 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM

He’s going to endorse the new Playtex product: Your Big Girl Panties.

Tagline: Even I want to get into them.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I think you’re right.
At this point its a joke imo.

Mimzey on January 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I agree.

nottakingsides on January 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Yep, Cain’s announcement will probably be that Cain (and his revolution or whatever he called it) will endorse anyone that supports 9-9-9, or some variation of that.

IF….that is what he is doing, Cain will word it in a weird way,….and we all will come away perplexed and Cain will have to explain it for months…..hehe..

nottakingsides on January 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM

He’s going to sing it baby!

lexhamfox on January 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM

He suggests that Palin get back in the race.

ChuckTX on January 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I personally can not say if the rumors about Cain are true or not, I will just offer my own opinion.

All of the accusations came while he was with the restaurant
association. He lived in DC for three years by himself.

I was a sales trainer for a major corp. for ten years, working all over the country. During our meetings (usually 5 days at a hotel),
6 out of 10 attending would hit on me. These guys knew I knew pretty much everything about them, wife,kids etc. didn’t make a difference.

Cain was in this situation alot. Wife in Atlanta…..

Barred on January 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Exit question: What does he mean by “unconventional”?

Maybe he’s going to endorse someone not in the race? E.g., Sarah Palin, or Chris Christie, or even himself (i.e., he’s getting back in because he’s realized that even though he’s a horrible horrible candidate, so is everyone else)?

RINO in Name Only on January 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I guess we’ll see.

Mimzey on January 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Exit question: What does he mean by “unconventional”?

It would be unconventional for a private citizen, with no connection to politics to “officially” endorse anyone.

Mimzey on January 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Homey chump…………you betacha! Pigment is far thicker than principles (which he obviously lacks) doin’ the dougie

All Hail the Messiah!!!!!

dmann on January 6, 2012 at 9:40 PM

apocalypse on January 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM

You know, the operative word here is “alleged.” There isn’t anything about these incidents with Cain and these women that doesn’t smack of an extreme set-up job. Notice that as soon as he dropped out of the race, the allegations and insinuations disappeared into the ether as fast as they came up. If there was anything to any of these allegations, I wager that it would have come out. The fact that nothing was forthcoming from any of the people who made the allegations tells me it was in fact a hit job. Herman Cain represents a fundamental threat to the Dems and the Left. They cannot allow any deviation from their identity politics and Cain was one such deviation. IMO the best thing he can do is to remain visible, judiciously, and keep on pitching.

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I agree with you. It could have been a hit job and I think it was a hit job and it’s pretty disgusting the allegations disappeared as soon as he got out of the race. At the same time, I watch Herman Cain tell Hannity that he’d prove he is innocent of the accusations levied against him and since then I haven’t heard anything. It’s like he got out and did nothing.

apocalypse on January 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Exit question: What does he mean by “unconventional”?

Unconventional means “not Romney”

Dollayo on January 7, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Unconventional means “not Romney”

Dollayo on January 7, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Governor Sarah Palin used the unconventional term many times before Herman Cain ever had the idea of using it. Whether he means her or not remains to be seen. Too many politicians like stealing other people talking points and using them as their own, so who knows. I think he will endorse whoever gives him the best position offer in their administration. Just the way it works. Sad but true.

hummingbird50 on January 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Exit question: What does he mean by “unconventional”?

Lemme Guess: Dr. Frank N. Furter?
Herman, Herman, Herman … Don’t even try to endorse yourself.
(your pizza was awful)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 8, 2012 at 8:58 AM

He’s going to endorse the new Playtex product: Your Big Girl Panties.

Tagline: Even I want to get into them.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on January 6, 2012

That is soooooo bad it’s funny.
(chuckle)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM

How could this lying sexual predator influence your vote?

borntoraisehogs on January 6, 2012

That however, is not funny. Got Proof?
Having personally “worked with” real ‘violent sexual predators’ in the criminal justice system, that was totally uncalled for.
Now, translate that nic into Deutsch.

~(Ä)~