Eugene Robinson squirms through apology to Rick Santorum

posted at 12:40 pm on January 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Allapundit covered this story after it first broke, and the entire thing looked like a slow motion train wreck from the beginning. During an appearance on MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow show, Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson broke out some jaw dropping comments regarding a story about Rick Santorum and his family following the death of one of their children only hours after being born. Their decision to take the child’s body home for a few hours as part of the grieving process was described by Robinson as, “not a little weird. He’s really weird.”

Through a strange turn of events, I was watching for both the beginning and the end of this story. (I don’t watch the MSNBC evening lineup, but on Wednesday I was in DC and the TV in my room was still on that channel from when I’d been watching Scarborough that morning.) As soon as he said it, I remember thinking, “Uh oh… this isn’t going to end well.”

And it didn’t. As James Crugnale reports at Mediaite, Robinson showed up on Morning Joe today and was taken to task for his remarks. The squirming which followed was uncomfortable in the extreme to watch.

In a remarkably heated back-and-forth on Friday’s Morning Joe, Joe Scarborough grilled MSNBC contributor Eugene Robinson over his controversial comments — calling Rick Santorum‘s handling of the death of his newborn “weird.”

“Do you think you may have gone overboard a little bit in your criticisms of Santorum?” Scarborough asked. “We haven’t talked about it. I’m not setting you up for anything. I was taken aback by what you said. My wife likes you very much, couldn’t believe you said it.”

“That was obviously not the right way to say what I was trying to express,” Robinson acknowledged.

“I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody, especially Mr. Santorum,” Robinson added. “But it was in a discussion of his views, and, you know, which I consider extreme, and Santorum himself who is a cultural — culture warrior extraordinaire, whose faith — and we all appreciate someone of deep faith — but it is — it is extremely deep, and it’s a kind of faith that some people, I think, are going be… if not surprised by… at least want to know more about.”…

“It is a personal decision,” Robinson noted. “And I’ve certainly been educated on the subject since — in the past day, so I do understand that — that this is not — it’s not something that’s in any way beyond the pale or considered inadvisable and that many grief counselors do advise a period of saying good-bye to a child who tragically dies in that way.”…

“Do you wish you hadn’t said it?” Scarborough clarified. “You can see how prepared I am.”

“I wish I hadn’t said it that way, Joe. You know, I — we had — had this sort of discussion when I wrote about Chris Christie‘s weight, and I do think that a columnist has an obligation to — to write what he or she thinks and write what he or she sees, but obviously I did it in the wrong way. Or in a way that rubs people the wrong way, and that’s not what I intended.”

He wishes he hadn’t said it that way. And he didn’t mean to offend. I suppose that passes for an apology in some circles. Also, in the video (below) Robinson claims, “I said some people might think that was a little weird.” But that’s not what he said. He said Santorum was “really weird.”

It’s a very difficult subject for me, and even I was put off for a moment when the story was first told. But that’s primarily because of my own personal issues with handling death, funerals, etc. and not some larger social commentary. (I have always had a difficult time even attending funerals and tend to think of such things being handled in a hospital or funeral home, but as I said… that’s just me.)

But the bottom line is that I doubt any of us can even imagine the stress and unthinkable grief of losing a child – particularly so close on the heels of the joy of welcoming a newborn to the family – unless we’ve been through it ourselves. How somebody else deals with that is a personal decision for them to arrive at, and it’s possibly one of the least appropriate things imaginable for a pundit to chime in on, particularly while chuckling and chortling about how “weird” the person is.

For the record, I’ve followed Robinson’s writings for some time and, while I frequently disagree with his analysis, I find him to be a skillful wordsmith and an enjoyable author. But he seriously shot himself in the foot on this one and this apology seems like very weak tea given the nature of the offense. Here’s the video of the “apology” courtesy of Mediaite so you can judge for yourself.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

This guy is just another turd in the racist punch bowl.

Wade on January 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

You need to get your head checked if you think there’s no long-term mental health risk in bringing a dead body in front of children and then explaining its a member of their deceased brother or sister.

Then again, I don’t want to offend anyone. My family has never taken the deceased from the hospital for a return trip home. But anyone who decides to engage in this behavior is perfectly normal.

bayam on January 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Isn’t that the funky and cool thing about free countries – that people can do whatever they think is appropriate for themselves providing they aren’t infringing on someone else’s rights or committing a crime.

Neat, huh?

Just as you get to be a judgmental fool and I get to call you such.

I love free countries!

kim roy on January 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

bayam on January 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

So being exposed to death is a long term mental health risk?

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I am hoping that someone gets angry enough to punch Robinson and others like him,e.g., Matthews, Olbermann, Colmes, Marr etc. right in the mouth.

They want to abandon any sense of civility? Fine. Spit some bloody teeth and live with a broken nose.

Spots the Dog on January 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I worked for a man whose family lost a newborn. The child’s body was brought home and the wake was held there. I think a hospitals and funeral parlors are weird, cold, creepy places to have to be while grieving. And I’m not very religious.

ansonia on January 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Are you a high risk OB?
Do you work in hospitals with a true N-3 like one with a neonatal ECMO unit? Is it a teaching hospital, that is one attached to a university? Do they transfer their very high risk babies?

Not every facility handles high risk, so maybe you haven’t seen it but it happens everyday. Some parents take pictures, some bring in their support system/family etc. But all want to hold their baby without all the medical paraphernalia attached. If there is an empty room they are given privacy for as long as they need or can be accommodated – away from the noise and mayhem of the NICU.

batterup on January 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Yes I work in a high risk facility with a N-3. No I don’t do (elective) abortions. No in 30 years has a couple ever in my practice in Dallas ever requested to take a pre-term or term stillborn home. Yes they can keep it in the room and have family visit in private.

The Santorums as I recall brought it home and slept in the bed with it. If it was a common thing this wouldn’t be a story.

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I remember a young girl I worked with in a factory in Sweden. She was such a cocky young thing, laying out her plans. Two weeks before her due date, the baby died in her womb. There was no reason that could be determined. Sometimes it happens that way. She was advised to give birth instead of having the fetus removed in a C-section. They said it would be healthier for her to complete the process and go through labor and then grieve for her dead child.

That’s some pretty heavy stuff. I know I shouldn’t be surprised at the depth of ignorance that some people (like Robinson) insist on trumpeting over the airwaves – but I am. The problem is that they don’t even consider someone else’s actions in an effort to learn or expand their understanding. They simply DISMISS the person and their behavior. And then, they CONDEMN and MOCK, to crown their achievement.

You should be appalled at your own behavior, Eugene, and deeply ashamed. And if you were a real man, you would have made a sincere apology, instead of the usual lefty slithering.

disa on January 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

disa on January 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

That’s because he’s not a real man. He is an egregious @$$wipe masquerading as a man.

coppertop on January 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Robinson’s job was to get the story out there. Period. The majority of Americans would find it un-ordinary behavior…So every Santorum talk it’s going to be brought up…

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Bingo!

I was astonished watching Colmes do his thing the other night. He was outraged that he couldn’t get the whole character assassination out without being interrupted. So he fought – FOUGHT – repeatedly to say it. I wanted to reach through the screen and pound his smirking face.

Clearly, the Democrat talking points memo said this was Job One for its journalist lapdogs.

in_awe on January 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Thanks for answering! I was just wondering if that had anything to do with your opinion.

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM

disa on January 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Well put, disa. And for Jazz to refer to Robinson’s insufferable petulance as “analysis” while offering him praise as a “skillful wordsmith and enjoyable author” is almost as repellant as Eugene himself.

My Sharia Moor on January 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

So, it’s a story because it’s uncommon? Because it is, according to you, uncommon, that means people have the right to bash the Santorum family over it? I’m just trying to understand wher your head is, and the point you are trying to make. It’s okay to second guess someone else’s grieving process if it’s not done in a “common” way?

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Please be so kind as to provide evidence that they “slept in the bed with it.”

Don’t worry. I’ll wait.

My Sharia Moor on January 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I think most of us here agree that Eugene Robinson said what he said intentionally. What I want to know is, has nathor weighed in on this apology yet.

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Just as you get to be a judgmental fool and I get to call you such.

I love free countries!

kim roy on January 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Yes and if you run for President in a free country and at some point in your past drove a corpse home from the hospital, someone in the press is going to bring bring it up.

You have to love that!

bayam on January 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I never thought I’d be defending liberals but people should consider that some of the posters commenting here about how strange this was, how weird, how crazy, are probably not liberals.

katiejane on January 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

You have to love that!

bayam on January 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Better to bring it home then leave a perfectly healthy woman to drown in a creek, huh?

My Sharia Moor on January 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

It was once routine for people to die at home and be mourned there before burial. It was only toward the middle of the twentieth century that funeral homes took over and started prettying up death.

Robinson is just another loud-mouthed lefty who spouts any old garbage because he thinks everybody will agree with him, and then is blindsided when they don’t. He deserved to squirm, the jerk.

RebeccaH on January 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM

The party-of-death liberals always reveal themselves, I’m sure unintentionally. When it comes to abortion of fetuses and the death of infants, you’ll hear references to “it” or “corpse” or other dehumanized ways of describing the death of an innocent. The dead infant isn’t a child, a sibling, a member of a family, but grammatical refuse.

Do you get why we call you the party of death?

EMD on January 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Please be so kind as to provide evidence that they “slept in the bed with it.”

Don’t worry. I’ll wait.

My Sharia Moor on January 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

You needn’t wait. Go to wiki and read it.

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

katiejane on January 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I thought it was strange until I remembered the wake I attended a few years ago. The father of a good friend of mine had died and many of my friends acquaintances, coworkers, and family went to the wake, including the pastor of our church. There we were, eating, drinking, telling stories, laughing at jokes, in full view of the corpse lying in an open casket. Anyone who wanted to pay their last respects to the corpse was free to do so, which some people did. It would not be my choice of how to say goodbye to someone, but it was what my friends father wanted and gave the family comfort.

Robinson is part of a group of slimy liberals whose only goal is to protect Obama. By the time this year is out, we’ll see many more of these smears. Obama can’t win on his record, so he’ll try every dirty trick ever invented, including vote fraud. God help America!

Gladtobehere on January 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

You needn’t wait. Go to wiki and read it.

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

And we all know that wiki is an unassailable source. If you had read Mrs. Santorum’s book you would know they did not bring the baby home and sleep with it. They slept at the hospital because the baby was born at 3:00 am. When they woke up they brought the baby home. After a quiet morning of mourning at their home with their living children they buried the baby later that day.

I’m certainly glad you are not my OB. Your lack of compassion must be a wondrous thing to behold in the delivery room. I can only imagine how “comforting” it must be to receive a difficult diagnosis from you.

PrincipleStand on January 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Eugene Robinson… another race hustler…

Dr. Charles K. is on a DC show every week with him… I don’t see how Dr. K. does is without throwing up…

Khun Joe on January 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Eugene Robinson’s obsessive love of all things Obama is “really weird”.

Turtledove on January 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

“For the record, I’ve followed Robinson’s writings for some time and, while I frequently disagree with his analysis, I find him to be a skillful wordsmith and an enjoyable author.”

All I know of Robinson is what I read in the local WAPO subsidiary which seems to find him a credible commentator. Based on that exposure to his writing, this comment by the author is BS!

Nomas on January 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM

He’s an intellectual and moral pig. Just a pig. Always has been. Always will be. Never read him any more. I regret HotAir gives him the publicity.

petefrt on January 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Just as you get to be a judgmental fool and I get to call you such.

I love free countries!

kim roy on January 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

You have to love that!

bayam on January 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

There’s bringing it up and there’s using it as a stick to poke. C’mon. Calling someone “really weird” and implying they have mental deficiencies because of how they wish to mourn a dead child is “bringing it up”?

You really want to defend poking sticks at grieving parents of a dead baby as “bringing it up”? Really? You going there?

This reminds me of one of my favorite phrases: When you think you’ve hit rock bottom, you find it is someone else’s ceiling.

I keep finding that liberals have no rock bottom.

kim roy on January 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

You needn’t wait. Go to wiki and read it.

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

PrincipleStand on January 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Somebody has to be at the bottom of the class.

kim roy on January 6, 2012 at 7:24 PM

RebeccaH on January 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM

RebeccaH, you have really nailed it here. You have seen through this silly SOB to his core.

petefrt on January 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Au contraire. It’s the Republican’s responsibility to imbue civility in our less fortunate citizens. Because of his background as a descendant of slaves, brought here against their will, he is less fortunate.

Or walk right up and smack that lawyer with his all black college buddy buddy law degree right in the mouth real hard. These are the choices presented.

Break up all black colleges. They hand out degrees like skittles to fellow blacks in order to use the power conferred to screw with the rest of us.

pc on January 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM

PrincipleStand on January 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Thank you for clarifying, this is how I understood it as well.

I’ve been privileged to know a handful of mothers who lost their babies early or through stillbirth and one of my closest friends whose baby died in his sleep. Everyone handled it differently and none of them (or I) would have judged the other for being “weird” or “doing it wrong.” None of them was ready for the moment when they had to place their child in a stranger’s arms, knowing they would never see that child again.

Ignorant comments just make me angry and sad.

kmid219 on January 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Robinson is the worst kind of liberal. Had he said what he said at a liberal party he would have been a hit. He would say it again in a setting free of anyone right of Abbey Hoffman. And that is the problem. The liberal media is so inbred that they dont even consider if their comments would be viewed as hurtful. As long as they are snarky and cute they are awarded Pulitzers.

iam7545r on January 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM

PrincipleStand on January 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I’m heartbroken. Shop for doctors online, do you?

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

petefrt on January 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Agreed. I feel the same way about the politico articles that get posted here. Don’t ever read them and never will.

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Former mental health counselors–which I am–always watch these sorts of discussions with sadness. Basically Santorum and his wife did the absolute right thing for their family. And, let me point out that the way they handled it brought closure, and closeness, to the family, which was allowed to grieve in a healthy manner, so that the parents AND THE CHILDREN could learn from the process and move on without emotional trauma.

Robinson’s comments were DESPICABLE. He attacked a family for grieving a dead infant. How low can a person get? I’m not surprised by Eugene Robinson’s HATRED of Rick Santorum; but I am surprised that Robinson couldn’t SEPARATE his political hatreds from his humanity. That’s a fairly clear and compelling look into a man’s character and Eugene Robinson failed the test utterly and completely.

To judge people so harshly for their personal religious or family traditions is the hallmark of a totalitarian: Eugene Robinson is a totalitarian. But if you or I were to criticize or judge a black church holding a funeral as being overly dramatic, or overly emotional or to judge a “viewing” of the deceased as “very wierd,” would cause a major outrage on the part of Eugene.

I’m really outraged by Robinson and others who attacked Santorum and his wife–a neo-natal nurse!–for handing their grief in the most natural way possible. Perhaps Robinson will experience his own loss one day and realize what a hate-filled bigot he really is.

mountainaires on January 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Do you get why we call you the party of death?

EMD on January 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM

No, I don’t get it. We’re not discussing Pro-Life issues, just because a baby is involved, and you’re used to arguing with Liberals/Democrats about the topic of when a life starts…I think we’re all pretty clear on when a life ends….aren’t we?

It’s crass, and perhaps dehumanizing but it’s accurate to call the babies body a corpse at that point. Your party of death slogan doesn’t appear apt in this case, unless you’re talking about a member of a party who happened to blur the lines between life/death of a family member.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM

mountainaires on January 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Seems to me he attacked them explicitly for *how* they grieved, not that the family grieved at all.

I’m reminded of Leftist forums where they create an alternate reality to fiend outrage. Try and keep the outrage to the actual incident itself without blowing it up out of reality.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

If he simply didn’t understand the grief process and the different ways that people experience it.. why not just say that and then stop?

Nope. He meant what he said. His apology is obviously forced. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be wishing he could simply rephrase such an ugly statement.

Murf76 on January 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM

You needn’t wait. Go to wiki and read it.

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

For a self-declared obstetrician, you have one crappy attitude. Do you hate your job, or something?

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Seems to me it is none of his friggin’ business and by blowing off his mouth he is wide open to all criticism.

Wade on January 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Hate to be contrary here, I just want to have some clarity, are you suggesting Eugene Robinson’s point was correct? Or are you saying he was correct to use it as a political club?

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM

PrincipleStand on January 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

and the reply?

I’m heartbroken. Shop for doctors online, do you?

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

In the last thread on Colmes, I related my wife and I had been through this in 04.. I have zero tolerance for the musings of the empathy challenged, either you are a caring human being or you aren’t.

Maybe you’re a great humanitarian who does a lot of pro bono cases, maybe you volunteer alot…

you wouldn’t know it from your comments.

They handed me my son, minutes after his birth, and I held him close to my chest until they forced him from me.. I don’t know how long it was, or even who all was there besides my father in law, who was holding my shoulders. Was that “weird”?

I don’t know how others grieve such a thing, never saw it before then. So tell me? What is the “acceptable” way to grieve,I would assume from your nasty tone, you’ve never heard of a wake? The tradition of bringing the body home? My grandfather was handled that way.. Good to know you so heartily disapprove..

Maybe we should all consult you next time, so as to not grieve in the improper manner?

I’m sick of this,.. the vile political attacks, the smirk laced comments from people for whom compassion is an alien concept… all over the death of a baby,.. an infant. Maybe Doc, you should cut folks some slack,

or is it that you just support his opponents, so anything is fair game? I think not.

mark81150 on January 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Holding the Viewing and Funeral at home is still the tradition in many countries.

One of my pet peeves about American society, is it’s attitude to death.

Linh_My on January 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Shop for doctors online, do you?

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

um… yes

Ampersand on January 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I’m heartbroken. Shop for doctors online, do you?

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Actually no. I’ve had my OB for the last 18 years. She delivered all of my children and has seen me through some very difficult health issues. She is an exceptional physician who cares for me physically and emotionally. Obviously something that is completely foreign to you.

PrincipleStand on January 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM

mountainaires on January 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Thank you for this, but the people who have been bashing Santorum and family over this won’t be dissuaded by anything. They have no empathy, or they hate Santorum so much they can’t hardly stand it.

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

mark81150 on January 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Thank you for this testimony. My heart goes out to you over your loss, and I’m glad that I’m not the only one who found the comments of this “doctor” so off-putting.

As an RN who has worked in OB/GYN, I can’t imagine someone with his obvious lack of compassion delivering babies, as I believe the birth of a baby is one of the greatest miracles on earth.

I also know that it is common practice to have a pediatrician on stand-by during a delivery that is anticipated to be difficult. The idea that “no pediatrician would go within a mile of a 20 week GESTATION (not ‘old’) baby” is ludicrous. So, either they do things VERY differently in Texas than they do in Chicago, IL, or this guy is not who he purports to be.

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

This involves the death of a child, and it is understandably an emotional issue. Robinson’s lack of compassion speaks for itself, and there was absolutely no need for this nit-picking, nor is it necessary to compare people to liberals.

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

mountainaires on January 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I agree with you and with others here that what the family did was the right thing to do.

It never ceases to amaze me that people like Robinson would use something so poignant to bludgeon someone.

The attitude about death in this country is unhealthy. In the old days people of all ages were exposed to the death of family members, pets, or animals on the farm.

It’s a part of life and that these parents felt it was right to take their little one home for the rest of the family and to grieve over her/him is not weird, it shows that Santorum truly knows how precious life is.

Jvette on January 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM

mark81150

Thank you for taking the time to contribute and your patience in trying to bring some humanity and “common” decency to those among us who seem contemptuous of life and human sufferring.

My wife & I also lost our first-born son, back in 1990. He died about the day he was due. No reason was found, as someone said, sometimes it just happens. We got to take home a car full of flowers but no baby boy. We did get him home a day later. We dressed him and I lay him in his little casket in his cot, in the bedroom we had got ready for him. And we grieved like our hearts had been ripped out. I didn’t know I could feel such pain.

I marvelled at Rick Santorum’s self control concerning the barbaric, inhuman and just plain evil comments from Alan Colmes. Now this from Mr Robinson AFTER he must have been aware of fallout from Colmes. What is wrong with these men? No, I cannot call them men. Men lay down their lives for the good of their wife and children. Men do not callously mock those who have sufferred terrible loss. Is it so hard to realise that this is simply a no-go area? What kind of person – devoid of the most basic level of sympathy – engages in these evil attacks?

I was initially very very angry with these two people and a punch in the mouth did seem like the only appropriate response. But they just don’t know the value of a human life do they? They are just selfish little boys, pigs trampling over the very thing that is most precious in life.

May God help them to see the error of their ways. May God open their eyes to see.

Liam1304 on January 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Not particularly… I’m more troubled by the hyperbole in the response to it. You know, the idea that this is a right to life issue, or that Santorum was performing a standard issue funeral.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Liam1304 on January 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Thanks for the heartfelt comment. These folks do it with total intent to destroy that which they will never embrace. To protect those we will never embrace. Using this particular story to further their objective is beyond the pale. Don’t pray for them, pray we never become them.

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

It’s not nitpicking. Accuse the man of putting his foot in his mouth, or insensitivity for what he said…do not escalate it with false accusations, or use this as a wedge issue. Some here are doing that very thing towards anyone characterizing Santorum’s healing process as outside the norm.

Don’t lie and say the issue was that Santorum chose to grieve over the tragic death of a newborn child, because nobody is depicting the grief as outside the norm, they’re depicting his coping mechanism, and choices AFTER the death itself occurred. It’s not a subtle difference, and I expect more intellectual honesty from everyone here on Hot Air.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Not particularly…
contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

That is a very vague reply. Would you mind just a little more clarity. I’m not trying to be a smarta$$, just looking to understand your real take on it. Is it an legitimate political club to swing? Is Eugene Robinson making a correct point. I’m not interested in the whole hyperbole aspect of your response. And no I do not know about this being a right to life issue. Or for that matter if Santorum was performing any funeral at all.Thanks.

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Well, I disagree with you that it’s not a subtle difference, but your point is taken.

I am at a loss though, as to what you mean about using this as a wedge issue. There is definitely a HUGE difference in the way liberal “choice” advocates and pro-life conservatives view human life, particularly that of a “fetus,” as many have referred to the already born baby on this thread. Here, there have been false accusations made about what the Santorums actually did. I have also seen liberals, on other sites, accuse Santorum of being a hypocrite because his wife had an abortion. That is an utterly false accusation. The idea that this is not about abortion/life issues is belied by the way some liberals are attacking Santorum over this. We can’t ignore what liberals do. We must defend against it. There is nothing intellectually dishonest about that. Ignoring it would be dishonest.

You want honesty, then call for it on both sides of the equation. Don’t just be tsk-tsking at HotAir conservatives.

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM

A great man once said “If you don’t go to anybody else’s funerals, nobody will come to yours.” Even your average RINO should find your average hate-filled liberal squirming comfortable in the extreme to watch, particularly when it’s because they popped off on a subject they should have had the good sense of a piss ant to keep their mouth shut about. Thinking Robinson is a “skillful wordsmith and an enjoyable author” is a pitifully low level even Meggie ‘spawn of maverick’ Mac doesn’t sink to. I guess as long as Robinson HATES CANCER Jazz is down for the struggle.

Judge Dredd on January 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Judge Dredd on January 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yogi right? Love his quotes!

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Hyperbole? Oh, come on. That’s what “troubles you?”

YOU are the one who is LYING about what was said here, now. Nobody stated he was “performing a standard issue funeral.” That’s a gross mis-characterization of what people have said. They have pointed out that people grieved differently in the not-so-distant past, and they have pointed out that what the Santorums did, in bringing their baby home to their family, is actually recommended by grief counselors for families dealing with such a loss.

You sound like the side of the argument that wants to paint the Santorums as “weird” over this issue. If so, consider yourself ignored. You’re not worth my time.

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

“I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody, especially Mr. Santorum,”

No Mr. Robinson,

You just meant to attack. There is no reason that you, Alan Colmes or any of you America-hating commies should be talking about Rick Santorum’s family’s personal tragedies. How does any of this character assassination relate to the punditry you get well paid to talk and write about?

And to top it off you miserable SOB, you never really apologized other than to say you didn’t mean to offend. That was precisely your intention and we both know it. May there be a special place in hell for these comments.

And in a note to Jazz Shaw:

I’ll agree with you that Mr. Robinson is a talented writer with the ability to entertain but if you think him to be anything more than a partisan hack, you need to read his work with more critical analysis. We saw the real Robinson in this vile attack. And he never apologized. He just did the standard regret if anybody was offended by his comments. Alan Colmes actually talked to Santorum after his vile attack. Robinson went on commie-tv.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM

If it was a common thing this wouldn’t be a story.
Marcus on January 6, 2012 at

Which is what they did.
I’m not a doctor but I don’t think stillborn and live birth are the same thing. If I’m right what is the point of your comment?

The Santorums as I recall brought it home and slept in the bed with it.

Where did you get this idea? I haven’t found any quote from The Santorums that they did this?

Again if this never happened, what is the point of your comment? Do you believe everything you read on the web? There is a reason why wikipedia is not considered a reliable source.

DSchoen on January 6, 2012 at 9:45 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Well then you don’t lie and claim that the Santorum family’s choice is outside the norm. If you look at death rituals in the past, this is utterly normal. We are not that far from the time when the norm when the corpse was part of the wake in the home. Or when, during the Victorian age a photographer was brought in for family pictures that included the dead child cradled with the mother.

But most importantly, HOW DARE YOU, judge what the Santorum family did in their grief. Particularly if you’ve never lost a child at birth. You’re the armchair quarterback here. How should the Santorum family dealt with the situation to make it best given the needs of that family!

I honestly don’t know what I would do in this situation but I’ve got an older brother who died within hours of birth (he was the first born). My parents went on to have four other children and this first child is seldom mentioned. But every now and then in conversation, it becomes clear that this child may have been quickly buried but not forgotten in my parent’s thoughts. For that reason I think I’m willing to give the Santorum family compassion that you are not in your rabid partisan hatred.

If anything your judgemental idiots should admire the fact that Santorum opened up on the details of this tragedy instead of attacking him for not behaving like you would.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Yogi right? Love his quotes!

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Yep, a great ball player, and a great way of getting his point across.

Judge Dredd on January 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Is it an legitimate political club to swing?
Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I don’t think it is, no.

I still find some of the uproar it caused to be ridiculous.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM

He is simply wanting the dogs called off. I emailed him and the Wapo ombudsman and let them know just how depraved his comments were, and I am sure I was not alone. Short of a brain transplant, he can’t change his stripes anymore than a skunk can. He is still vile, now he’s just vile and sorry, that he’s being slammed.

CTimbo on January 6, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Please be so kind as to provide evidence that they “slept in the bed with it.”

Don’t worry. I’ll wait.

My Sharia Moor on January 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

You needn’t wait. Go to wiki and read it.

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Wow. So there really is someone, uh…. naive enough to believe everything they read in Wikipedia.

I was told such people existed, but I refused to believe it.

Guess I was wrong.

Dreadnought on January 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Who cares? Why take the bait? It only cheapens your own pro-life arguments by muddying the waters. They’re separate issues. Anyone who knows the facts knows this child came to full term and died of complications. The discussion starts at wether or not Santorum handled the tragedy in an eccentric manner which portrays him in a negative light. Liberals claim what goes on in the home shouldn’t matter…this isn’t a very impressive criticism of Santorum on their part…until those defending him make fools of themselves, compromising their values to defend him.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Read the thread. If you’re arguing Santorum is within the norm, and following an accepted tradition endorsed by prossionals…well then that’s what you’re implying. Though I could see why you would deny it when getting called on it. Speaking of which….

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I rest my case. Funny how with all those arguing it’s normal, and comparing it to a wake, or a funeral, and all those sharing similar instances of painful tragedies NOBODY has said “that’s what we did, and the photos are on my desk too”.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Okay, first of all a dozen or so posters on a forum thread is hardly a percentage of the numbers of people who have had a family member die. So the fact that not one of them has done this is hardly indicative of anything.
Now that said, I personally didn’t do this because I have not has a child die but I do know of a couple who did bring their deceased infant home for a wake (not in a casket either,) another family who brought a deceased adult home for a wake laid out on a bed, and still another family that had an eco-funeral where the deceased was brought home and later buried in the forest. All of these incidents happened within the last ten years and I know of them personally. I have also read of other such incidents. Oh and I also know of a person who keeps the deceased’s ashes on their nightstand and another who keeps the ahses on the deceassed’s workbench. Any other questions?

Deanna on January 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM

EMD on January 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Like stillborn

DSchoen on January 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Rule 1 at a political blog: Don’t respond to the leftist trolls
Rule 2 at a political blog: … Don’t respond to the leftist trolls!

They are useless and have only evil intentions. You help the most when you ignore them as if they do not exist.

ray on January 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Lefties are hateful, ignorant people, JannyMae, who masquerade as the caring ones. Wolves in sheep’s clothing. Hyenas. The nastiest group of people you’ll ever want to know, congratulating themselves on a daily basis for being right-thinking.

disa on January 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I’m heartbroken. Shop for doctors online, do you?

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

This is the kind of trash that was swept in the door at the last open registration. I wonder if I’ll be reading much HotAir in 2012…

disa on January 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM

No, you surely don’t get it. IT’S ABOUT REVERENCE FOR LIFE AND ITS SOURCE, STUPID. And awe in the face of death and God.

The crass sensibility of the left is what leads to a dehumanized society, where sex is stripped of tenderness and the tyranny of ignorant youth rules the airwaves. Babies aren’t babies unless you find them convenient – otherwise they’re meat trimmmings to be tossed into the trash.

It’s your utter disrespect for life that earns you the title “party of death.”

disa on January 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I was told such people existed, but I refused to believe it.

Guess I was wrong.

Dreadnought on January 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Micahel Scott in The Office swears by Wiki.

disa on January 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM

No, liberals want full sexual depravity rights, but as far as privacy in the home, forget about it – the way you raise your child, the lightbulbs you use, any number of basic things that a normal adult should choose for himself are off-limits when the Nannies come to town.

disa on January 6, 2012 at 11:44 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Thanks, sorry for the slow reply, I was off on another thread.

Bmore on January 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM

What a load.

They are not separate issues at all, and they are being tied together by both liberals and conservatives. You are not the arbiter of what gets to be discussed in regard to a topic. Take your high horse and ride off on it.

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Funny how you ignore the FACT that this is a RECOMMENDED method of helping families in this situation deal with their grief.

You will obviously believe what you want to believe. I was exactly right about you. You’re not worth my time.

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM

contrarytopopularbelief

You used the term funeral. Not me. You’re a very dishonest person. You called me on nothing. You failed to support YOUR lies. Bye bye!!!

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM

disa on January 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Actually, this one’s been around awhile. He’s claimed to be an OB before. If he is one, he must have all the compassion of a dehydrated, old bar rag.

JannyMae on January 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM

And, actually, contrarytopopularbelief is quite wrong. In fact, in a previous thread on this topic, one commenter spoke of how (s)he volunteers time helping families in just such tragic circumstances, in being part of the photographic team.

I wouldn’t presume to dictate how a family should “properly” grieve the loss of a child.

whatcat on January 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM

JannyMae on January 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Some doctors are like that. Have you ever seen William Hurt in “The Doctor?” Just cause you have an MD behind your name doesn’t mean you’re immune to the affliction of douchebaggery.

gryphon202 on January 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Any other questions?

Deanna on January 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Yes. Which one of your friends “wakes” involved a Baptism of a corpse?
Exactly. You should probably stop grandstanding now.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM

gryphon202 on January 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I worked as an RN for ten years, and there are indeed some doctors like that, and all the nurses know who they are.

JannyMae on January 7, 2012 at 12:56 AM

It’s your utter disrespect for life that earns you the title “party of death.”

disa on January 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Now you’re deeming me a party all by myself? Weird. Either way, I do believe you just won the prize for the most crass post on this topic yet, so it reads as if you’re having very own party.

Once again, Santorum’s baby was dead….. to talk about dehumanization of a corpse is insane. I mean, it’s not like the guy took it home for a family pho….oh.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 12:56 AM

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Nor are you. I’m expressing my opinion, and pointing out the counter productive nature of arguments like yours. Yet you’re too fueled up on some agenda to realize how contradictory and offensive you really are.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM

whatcat on January 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Yes, I am aware of that, having read that thread and this one thoroughly. The troll has been caught in a bullsh*t argument and is talking out its ass.

JannyMae on January 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM

You can also find recommendations to terminate late term pregnancies where the mother is in danger instead of following it to birth too. Clearly recommendations aren’t conclusive, especially when we’re talking about private moral matters and the issue or normality, or societal standards.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM

JannyMae on January 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Yet you missed the various posts mistakingly claiming Satorum’s ritual was a standard form of funeral?

You’re the one hurling insults, desperate to get some point across, yet what is that point? Do you really condone Baptizing what was either a dying child, or a corpse? Wait, don’t answer….nobody who typed the filth you have typed on this topic has any sense of humanity to give an honest answer.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM

So, it’s a story because it’s uncommon?
JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM

it’s uncommon Because ER lied and changed the facts.
Example:

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Fact: They slept at the hospital because the baby was born at 3:00 am. When they woke up they brought the baby home. After a quiet morning of mourning at their home with their living children they buried the baby later that day.
Marcus tells us this is common at his hospital

“Yes they can keep it in the room and have family visit in private”

I don’t believe Marcus is a doctor cuz no one this stupid would be allowed to have access to drugs. But I’ll play along.

DSchoen on January 7, 2012 at 1:40 AM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Which is just as bad.

TigerPaw on January 7, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Marcus made some statements that made me doubt his creds, too, but I won’t challenge him on it. His revision of several facts is enough to challenge.

JannyMae on January 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM

The discussion starts at wether or not Santorum handled the tragedy in an eccentric manner …

contrarytopopularbelief on January 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Eccentric?

I’ve never lost a baby myself, but I did lost an adult family member of mine a few years ago, someone who I was very, very close to (I’m still trying to work through losing this person).

I did not take her body from the funeral home to my own home, but I know how painful it is to lose a loved one – and if you’ve not experienced it, I don’t think it’s your place to pass this kind of judgment on it.

If I recall correctly, people in the 19th century used to keep the body of the deceased person in their house for a few days, rather than go to funeral homes (were there even funeral homes back then?).

People back then also used to take photographs of the dead -after they died- as keepsakes, too.

TigerPaw on January 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM

TigerPaw – There is a huge difference. No need to resort to distortions when nobody is suggesting Santorum shouldn’t have grieved.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 2:01 AM

The timing of these attacks on Santorum – after doing well in Iowa – means this is a poltical, possibly orchestrated attack by Liberals/Progressives. JournoList 2.0?

It can’t be emphasized enough that Obama can’t run on his record, so he has to make the Republicans look even worse than he is. All Republicans are going to be smeared this year, like the Tea Party was smeared by the media before the last election. Do not for one minute believe what the Liberals of the media are saying. Don’t take their side either. To them this is a war where all tactics are legitimate if it advances their goals. I tend to be a moderate person by nature, but I’m tired of the lies and arrogance of the Liberal media.

P.S.

…Do you really condone Baptizing what was either a dying child, or a corpse? Wait, don’t answer….nobody who typed the filth you have typed on this topic has any sense of humanity to give an honest answer.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM

If infant baptism was a part of my belief system – it isn’t – I would baptize a dying child. The fact that they did what they did shows their love for their religion and their children. You don’t have to believe what they do, you just have to stop judging them for doing it. How many times do people have to answer you before you stop acting like a Liberal troll?

BTW, it’s bedtime.

Gladtobehere on January 7, 2012 at 2:04 AM

TigerPaw on January 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Firstly, I too have experienced pain and death and grieved over loved ones. Everyone does at some point, but emotional posts attacking others under the assumption that your perspective is more informed in this regard, needs to stop.

Secondly, this isn’t the 19th Century…..and your example still doesn’t reflect what we know of the Santorum families behavior. Again, this doesn’t sound like a standard wake, be it a 19th century or 21st century one.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Gladtobehere – Can you disagree with someone without calling them a “liberal troll”? It cheapens your posts, really. We’re talking about baptizing a DEAD child, BTW.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Blah Blah Blah

I’ll repeat what I said in my first post:

The liberals want the story out there period. Because it fits in with Santorum the extremist nutjob.
But as someone so eloquently stated on another thread, his odds at being elected President are probably just a tad lower than Jerry Sandusky’s.

Marcus on January 7, 2012 at 4:01 AM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM

You sound like a third-rate, wannabe contrarian scold with nothing better to do than cast aspersions and make snide comments about someone because of how they chose to grieve for their dead soon. What you are doing is not just “a little weird” but it’s also tacky, cold and a telltale sign of a personality disorder. I feel sorry for your family members who have to live with you. Maybe you like getting attention this way, but to me you sound like nothing but an unpleasant waste of time.

bluegill on January 7, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Do you get why we call you the party of death?

EMD on January 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM

This is exactly right. The mocking of Santorum for paying respects to his son in such a wonderful, touching, personal way is right in line with dehumanizing the unborn. I have seen the comments; the deranged abortion-lovers are twisting the facts of the story, insinuating that Santorum is some kind of “fetus-obsessed freak” who probably “keeps fetuses in jars.” Make no mistake… these are ugly attacks against a man who chose to celebrate the life of his son, and who wanted to show his other children that their brother’s life had value and that he was a real person. I don’t support Santorum for President (I’m for Romney), but it makes me furious to see the man ridiculed in this way.

bluegill on January 7, 2012 at 4:39 AM