Eugene Robinson squirms through apology to Rick Santorum

posted at 12:40 pm on January 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Allapundit covered this story after it first broke, and the entire thing looked like a slow motion train wreck from the beginning. During an appearance on MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow show, Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson broke out some jaw dropping comments regarding a story about Rick Santorum and his family following the death of one of their children only hours after being born. Their decision to take the child’s body home for a few hours as part of the grieving process was described by Robinson as, “not a little weird. He’s really weird.”

Through a strange turn of events, I was watching for both the beginning and the end of this story. (I don’t watch the MSNBC evening lineup, but on Wednesday I was in DC and the TV in my room was still on that channel from when I’d been watching Scarborough that morning.) As soon as he said it, I remember thinking, “Uh oh… this isn’t going to end well.”

And it didn’t. As James Crugnale reports at Mediaite, Robinson showed up on Morning Joe today and was taken to task for his remarks. The squirming which followed was uncomfortable in the extreme to watch.

In a remarkably heated back-and-forth on Friday’s Morning Joe, Joe Scarborough grilled MSNBC contributor Eugene Robinson over his controversial comments — calling Rick Santorum‘s handling of the death of his newborn “weird.”

“Do you think you may have gone overboard a little bit in your criticisms of Santorum?” Scarborough asked. “We haven’t talked about it. I’m not setting you up for anything. I was taken aback by what you said. My wife likes you very much, couldn’t believe you said it.”

“That was obviously not the right way to say what I was trying to express,” Robinson acknowledged.

“I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody, especially Mr. Santorum,” Robinson added. “But it was in a discussion of his views, and, you know, which I consider extreme, and Santorum himself who is a cultural — culture warrior extraordinaire, whose faith — and we all appreciate someone of deep faith — but it is — it is extremely deep, and it’s a kind of faith that some people, I think, are going be… if not surprised by… at least want to know more about.”…

“It is a personal decision,” Robinson noted. “And I’ve certainly been educated on the subject since — in the past day, so I do understand that — that this is not — it’s not something that’s in any way beyond the pale or considered inadvisable and that many grief counselors do advise a period of saying good-bye to a child who tragically dies in that way.”…

“Do you wish you hadn’t said it?” Scarborough clarified. “You can see how prepared I am.”

“I wish I hadn’t said it that way, Joe. You know, I — we had — had this sort of discussion when I wrote about Chris Christie‘s weight, and I do think that a columnist has an obligation to — to write what he or she thinks and write what he or she sees, but obviously I did it in the wrong way. Or in a way that rubs people the wrong way, and that’s not what I intended.”

He wishes he hadn’t said it that way. And he didn’t mean to offend. I suppose that passes for an apology in some circles. Also, in the video (below) Robinson claims, “I said some people might think that was a little weird.” But that’s not what he said. He said Santorum was “really weird.”

It’s a very difficult subject for me, and even I was put off for a moment when the story was first told. But that’s primarily because of my own personal issues with handling death, funerals, etc. and not some larger social commentary. (I have always had a difficult time even attending funerals and tend to think of such things being handled in a hospital or funeral home, but as I said… that’s just me.)

But the bottom line is that I doubt any of us can even imagine the stress and unthinkable grief of losing a child – particularly so close on the heels of the joy of welcoming a newborn to the family – unless we’ve been through it ourselves. How somebody else deals with that is a personal decision for them to arrive at, and it’s possibly one of the least appropriate things imaginable for a pundit to chime in on, particularly while chuckling and chortling about how “weird” the person is.

For the record, I’ve followed Robinson’s writings for some time and, while I frequently disagree with his analysis, I find him to be a skillful wordsmith and an enjoyable author. But he seriously shot himself in the foot on this one and this apology seems like very weak tea given the nature of the offense. Here’s the video of the “apology” courtesy of Mediaite so you can judge for yourself.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Oh yes, very heart-felt apology from this ghoul. But most party-of-death liberals look at aborted and dead babies as nothing more than piles of tissue. They simply don’t get why someone would treat this mass of tissue as a member of the family and honor it.

They have such little regard for life, and, yes, they all think that Santorum is weird for grieving and honoring his dead infant. What the libs don’t get is how creepy THEY are in the way they express their distaste.

Colmes and Robinson are merely vocalizing what all of these sick people think.

EMD on January 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

GhoulAid on January 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

You forgot to add women/hispanic/black conservatives to your lib hate list. Otherwise, it looks pretty comprehensive – nice job.

The Count on January 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Eugene still thinks it’s weird.

Somehow he and Colmes think they’re professional grief analyzers, which is weird. Really weird.

A real apology would have included the nature of his ‘education.’ For example, if he had said that he now recognizes that bringing the body of one’s infant home to family as a legitimate grieving process, (which it most certainly is) it would have been sincere.

An apology that he made people upset is no apology.

LetsBfrank on January 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

That sure was a “remarkably heated back-and-forth.”

“My wife likes you very much”. Take that Eugene!!! Sick burn

Ampersand on January 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Hot Gas on January 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

People are condemning the craven statements made by Robinson, Colmes and other Leftwingers.

This isn’t a case of “defending Santorum” but of maligning decrepit perspectives by the Left, along with their statements reflecting such.

Santorum does NOT need “defending” in this case, as to the death and family mourning of one of his children and a family member, respectively.

Lourdes on January 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Ask pediatricians what they’re experiences are.

Lourdes on January 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

The Count on January 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

thank you.

GhoulAid on January 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

He’s just another left-wing bigot passing judgement on another persons spirituality. People like Robinson who have no higher power than the state are clueless how anyone can morn or grieve over a hunk of dead tissue.

Walter L. Newton on January 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Translated: “I’m Sorry I Got Caught”.

Del Dolemonte on January 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

That is correct. That is the only thing Robinson is sorry for. In the name of carrying the flag for his favorite son, namely Obama,he goes out of his way to trash everyone else, casting aspersions wherever he can, whether there is basis in fact or not, and whether or not his comments are grossly inappropriate.

Usually, he gets away with it. He is not used to be taken to task, thus the awful squirming that you saw.

Anifin on January 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I find him to be a skillful wordsmith - all dat Jazz

Must say pal,
his alleged “skill”,
and your take on it,
sounds an awful lot like
a dose of sophmoric drivel!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on January 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

It’s weird that he stepped right into the same steaming pile just behind Colmes. That’s a wierdo for you….Pay attention MORON !!!

moc23 on January 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Neither was an accident. Colmes’ and Robinson’s masters on journo-list undoubtedly ordered the hits. A double-tap to the heart, just to make sure that the sheeple got the “Santorum’s too crazy to be president” message.

What, you don’t think that all of this stuff is planned, after seeing the journo-list evidence last year?

bofh on January 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM

bigot indeed. the odd practices of various communities of the Left are sacred for people like him…never question the private choices (or public choices) of the left…but let a conservative have a child who doesn’t ‘fit’ like Trig or a child who dies after 2 hours and the Ghouls come out.

Andrew Sullivan seems to have multiplied

r keller on January 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Ask pediatricians what they’re experiences are.
Lourdes on January 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

You won’t find a pediatrician within miles of a 20 weeker birth which is what I thought I read was the circumstance here and people don’t bring them home. And children are permitted at any hospital and could have “been introduced” then. Jeez, why do we suspend reality around here thinking this an abortion issue. It was weird!

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Leftists are cowards and bullies. Just once I’d like to see one stand by his offensive comments (they will never stop making them because of their twisted worldview), but they give the non-apology apology and all is forgotten. But if a conservative says something they disagree with, or even asks a question a la Joe the Plumber, and they set out–in a pack–to destroy him.

DrMagnolias on January 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Eugene, repeat after me: I am Sorry!

Now go to hell Eugene.

D-fusit on January 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Just when I thought Robinson reached the upper limits of douchebaggery, he kicks it up a notch.

St Gaudens on January 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Robinson’s job was to get the story out there. Period.

Translated: “I’m Sorry I Got Caught”.

Del Dolemonte on January 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Yep to both of these points. Neither Colmes nor Robinson are sorry at all. It is nothing new that they are both lying sacks of sh*t.

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Eugene is a racist thug who happens to write for the WaPo…I don’t mean to offend anyone…maybe I should have just said it differently…

d1carter on January 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

“I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody, especially Mr. Santorum,”

Liar.

Translation: I thought that I could get away with my odious remarks, because he’s a religious whacko and he brought it on himself.

ghostwriter on January 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

d1carter on January 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

No, I think that works.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

When I first heard about this, I considered some Senator Santorum actions kind of strange, maybe not what I would do, But, I have been spared the terrible burden of losing a child. I can not predict what I would do, I can’t even imagine myself being able function through it. I give a big pass to people suffering so. I gave Cindy Sheehan a pass, as one driven mad with a mission in the name of the deasr one she lost.
I already knew Robinson was an idiot. I now see he is a cruel, coarse, bully . I hate bullies. Always Hit them right in the nose, just like your grandfather told you.
No forgiveness for gene. Treat him just as if he were a radio host, who said nappy head or something.

borntoraisehogs on January 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Eugene is a racist thugpiece of sh-t who happens to write for the WaPo…I don’t mean to offend anyone…maybe I should have just said it differently…

ghostwriter on January 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

bofh on January 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I agree promotion of this story was directed from above. Both Colmes and this guy giving it air at about the same time is too coincidental by half. They need to propagate the Santorum as an extremist meme, okay. But the disheartening thing is that when given their talking points for the week, I doubt any of these media flunkies carrying water for the White House spoke up, said ‘Wait a minute: we’re talking about a family grieving the loss of a child here. This is going too far.’

All it takes is one good person to speak up at the right time. In this instance, none did.

troyriser_gopftw on January 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Leftwing intelligentsia in action: fact jokes, and calling people weirdos–real highbrow stuff.

ghostwriter on January 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM

If we could still have duels these half*ssed apologies wouldn’t happen very often.

jukin3 on January 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Really? Then please explain the advice from the American Pregnancy Association that is linked to in this post here about what is “un-ordinary?”

JannyMae on January 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I doubt very much if this is coordinated. Robinson probably heard about the Colmes flap, and thought that Colmes was right. They can’t argue the merits, so they will impugn the character and intentions of any potential opponents.

ghostwriter on January 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM

bofh on January 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM

The proof of this is in the audio that Limbaugh plays periodically: every talking point is essentially the same, with maybe a one-word difference, as if these cretins in the MSM think that by changing one word, it means that their analysis is completely different from the other news outlets.

Here in PA, not only is this being talked about, but every smear and half-truth from when Santorum was a senator is also being dredged up and mixed in.

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM

This is a measure of how little the left has to throw at Santorum, he had the option of not criticizing his expression of grief. It is also a measure of Robinsons lack of character. He might have analyzed his political record and may have but just did a smear piece based on his personal opinion. I expect them to trot out a tramp soon to claim some kind of sex charge.

dunce on January 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Robinson is an evil twit.

It would seem that Axelrod’s latest directive had the word “weird” written all over it and the government-media and their ilk are running with it. All over the place “Santorum” is now always followed by “weird.”

Suctioning babies’ brains out or putting them on shelves in closets to die is simply part of “The Right To Choose,” but a form of grieving over a dead child, which is a completely private concern, is weird.

Demoncrat destruction policy knows no moral grounds.

Horace on January 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I’ve never been to California but I still believe it’s there.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

jukin3 on January 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I would really like to see Mrs Santorum slap him in the face, because he richly deserves it.

I wouldn’t accept these “apolologies” if I was Santorum. I would probably say something like, “It’s unfortunate that hacks like Colmes and Robinson get a platform to spew their hatred.”

ghostwriter on January 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Question: do you do abortions?

AZgranny on January 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

The Democrats are going to try to change the subject from the economy to gay marriage and abortion. The social issues don’t favor conservatives the way that they used to…

ghostwriter on January 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Perhaps the neonatal surgeon who performed the intrauterine surgery in an effort to give this baby a chance prior to the mom developing a uterine infection that caused the premature birth WAS involved. It seems to me you are the one who doesn’t have a good grasp of reality or the details of the circumstances involved in this instance.

PrincipleStand on January 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Apology?!? That’s not an apology! That’s not even a NON-APOLOGY APOLOGY(tm), which is the primary tool the Democrats use anytime one of their outrageously outrageous lies or statements gets exposed and they get called out on it.

Nowhere in his half-baked mumblings did Robinson use the word “apology”. He’s just another J-School hack, fumbling & bumbling his way thru life. A truly despicable man with no remorse whatsoever for his reprehensible mutterings.

CatchAll on January 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

ghostwriter on January 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I do think that this is something everyone wants to see. Enough with “being nice” or “genteel.” The Left has always played dirty and they count on our side to be cowed into submission. It’s far past time someone on our side hauls off and hits them where it hurts. Repeatedly.

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

These things always appear in 3s.

1. Colmes
2. Robinson
3. ??

angryed on January 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I think #1 was Obama speaking against and voting against the Born Alive Act as a state rep in Illinois. Soon after that same bill was passed 98-0 in the US Senate.

DanMan on January 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I find your story hard to believe. Not one family in your 30 year career (if you really are an OBGYN) wanted to mourn in a more familial location? They all love mourning in the hospital?

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Ceolas on January 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Hadn’t seen your reply when I posted in response to angryed. We agree.

DanMan on January 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Poor little brat Robinson.

Poor little brat isn’t used to having to eat his words.

Poor little brat can think twice before he repeats the slime he sucks out of Obama’s ass.

Maybe when poor little brat Robinson mans up and says that he should have told Obama that he wasn’t going to repeat the lies and smears that Barack Obama ordered him to say we’ll reconsider.

northdallasthirty on January 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Robinson’s job was to get th story out there. Period. The majority of Americans would find it un-ordinary behavior. I’ve been an OB going on 30 years and never have seen this request once. Ever. End of story. So every Santorum talk it’s going to be brought up. Until he fades, which will be soon. Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

It was suggested to them by their doc. They didn’t request it.

Akzed on January 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Actually I find it stranger that Robinson made his comments than when Colmes made his. Seem like most of the blacks I know make a pretty big deal of the death of family members and their funerals/services. Perhaps Mr.Robinson is so far up the elite ladder he’s forgotten how regular people deal with loss?

katiejane on January 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Propagandists are wordsmiths, too. Just not very truthful ones.

kingsjester on January 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I am so tired of republicans not fighting. This Eugene Robinson is devoid of soul. Oops, I meant to say that he is really devoid of soul. Repubs need to say that. Then they need to follow up with the point that had the Santorums aborted the baby, then Eugene Robinson would be dancing in the street. I mean really dancing in the street. Then wonder if Eugene Robinson is a sociopath. Oops, I mean really a sociopath. (Saul Alinsky, hold them to their own rules.)

Despite Newt’s shortcomings, I thing conservatives like that he is a fighter. If mittens gets the nomination, mav II (a mccain redux) all over again. No fighting. (Oh sure, mittens is fighting now bc he is fighting against conservatives. I don’t think he’s got the guts to fight against a marxist and the LSM.)

Santorum, if you want that nomination, you better make some noise and you better start fighting.

And Robinson is really a monster.

Dr. Demento on January 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Dear Mr. Robinson:

I am writing to express my outrage for your inane, insensitive, and intentionally inflammatory remarks regarding Rick Santorum. I found your comments rude, irrelevant to the GOP primary, and completely uncalled for. But your ‘apology’ (or ‘walk back’, if you will) was even more inadequate than the comments, Mr. Robinson! Has your ego managed to completely detach you from human suffering that you’d callously call a person who was grieving the death of his son ‘weird’? Your comments are a sure sign that you take yourself too seriously and place a premium on a political agenda at the expense of restraint, respect, and simple decency.

On the other hand, I would like to extend gratitude for your comments on Santorum. You see, the media at large ALL believe what you managed to blurt out on national TV. Those who share your political slant try so hard to keep the sentiments they believe about a father mourning the death of a baby confined to their cocktail parties and arugula roasts. But your heinous comment let America behind the curtain, if you will. We got to see just how you and your ilk think and it ain’t a pretty sight. Moreover, we get to see just how you view Americans that don’t fit into your exclusive and uppity group–you see us as dumb, over-spiritualized, oafs who could never comprehend the high and mighty ideals and ultra-complex ideas held by the likes of you.

I can only guess that your mother would not be proud of your act on Rachel Maddow. Grow a pair, apologize properly, and appeal to that sense of decency that your ego has managed to abduct and hide away in the recesses of your soul. God Bless.

GoodSam

GoodSamaritan on January 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

To quote Robinson I don’t mean to offend you but this may be a reflection on the lenght of your time as an OB and how you counsel families who have had this loss. Have you ever offered a grieving family this option?

katiejane on January 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

At best he’s a thoughtless scumbag…

Mr_Magoo on January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Are you a high risk OB?
Do you work in hospitals with a true N-3 like one with a neonatal ECMO unit? Is it a teaching hospital, that is one attached to a university? Do they transfer their very high risk babies?

Not every facility handles high risk, so maybe you haven’t seen it but it happens everyday. Some parents take pictures, some bring in their support system/family etc. But all want to hold their baby without all the medical paraphernalia attached. If there is an empty room they are given privacy for as long as they need or can be accommodated – away from the noise and mayhem of the NICU.

batterup on January 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Robinson is a no-class P.O.S., and quite predictably so.

Worse yet in all this is that Robinson is today a hero in the White House, at the DNC and in nearly every newspaper editorial meeting & TV Newsroom in America for pointing out what creepy scary weirdos those Republicans are and boy isnt Obama just great in each and every detail?

Hail Ants!

Sacramento on January 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

B.S. My grandaughter’s birth was attended by her family’s pediatrician, a neonatal pediatrician and, of course, an ACTUAL OBGYN for her mom. Not to mention several intensive care nurses and a respiratory therapist and x-ray technician. They couldn’t save her, because she died shortly before the delivery but they were there because they knew she was going to have a very slim chance.

Not the usual course of events, certainly, but there had been a prenatal surgery done for the Santorum baby, so in that case, as well, there would have been extra staff on hand.

Lily on January 6, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Off topic, Chris Wallace will be the referee on Sunday with DNC and RNC chairs. Set your DVR to catch Debbie Downer prove she’s dumb as a post…

Mr_Magoo on January 6, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I wonder at the stupidity of doing exactly the same thing Alan Colmes did just a few days before and expecting a different response. It makes me think this guy just wanted the attention, and we never fail to accomodate these childish leftists. He got two stories out of it here, which is probably more views than it got on the original show on which it was aired. It doesn’t matter whether he apologizes for it later or not, just like when a judge tells the jurors to disregard the statement of a witness. Now Santorum = weird. Mission accomplished.

Night Owl on January 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I wonder if Robinson has ever been to New Orleans during a black funeral? Most of the funerals that I have been unfortunate to have to attend did not have a marching jazz band and the people were not happy and singing up beat songs. But that’s just my experience. I would never call the blacks in N.O. “Really weird” but then I’m not a minority protected journalist who can say anything he wants to say.

And to marcus the OB, maybe you should not comment on things that you know nothing about which is compassion. I lost a one month old boy on Christmas morning and I can tell you that NO words can describe the shock and disorientation that followed. There are so many sects and religious groups who have and use various rituals in death that to make a blanket statement like you did is just plain stupid.

inspectorudy on January 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Lily on January 6, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I am assuming this was not recent, but my condolences nonetheless. Sorry for your loss.

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Exactly right. I believe the phrase is you can’t unring a bell.

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Horse hockey.
Robinson has always been a predictable, doctrinaire,clumsy, dishonest,leftist bomb thrower.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 6, 2012 at 2:47 PM

You guys at hotair are extremely witty and I like your very much..I would even go as far as saying that I am thankful for it…

However, you guys do puzzle me when you pour water on the powder before dropping the hammer sometimes.

Let’s be real here…Eugene Robinson is not a “wordsmith” “that (we) disagree with” (At least 90% of us)

He is a racist menace that serves as a partisan HACK for the democratic party. Folks, he didn’t feel the need to sling that bomb at Santorum just because he is conservative…He DID IT because he was white…..He thought he could GET AWAY WITH IT….because he was conservative.

Now…you just imagine if Barack Obama was to grieve or deal with something sad in their family in a way that is different or unique….then a Conservative pundit…say what Robinson said…and you get to the TEN CENT question….(ten cents cause the answer isn’t hard..not nearly a million)….What do you think Robinson would attribute that insult to????????????????????????????? hint: it ain’t not nothing to do with Abortion…or taxes…

He would say it was RACE.

WL on January 6, 2012 at 2:47 PM

inspectorudy on January 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

My condolences to you as well.

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Wow, Alan Colmes and UGene Robinson attack Santorum’s dead infant. Bill Press calls Tim Tebow a discrace. Unions in Wisconsin call and New Jersey call Gov Walker and Gov Christie Nazis. Where is all of this civil discourse we were told we need more of by the left????????

THE CHOSEN ONE on January 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Do your homework first, before talking Mr. Robinson. I am sure your employer will appreciate it

Jabberwock on January 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Robinson obviously believes that nothing is too sacred to attack as long as you are not a liberal. I’m assuming Santorum’s other children are up next for the media assault.
You don’t have to even be a Santorum fan to see this line of criticism is beyond the pale. Like many others have said previously, there are some policy issues that he holds that are of concern, why immediately attack his family and his deceased child? Now that is what is creepy.

BakerAllie on January 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Skilled wordsmith?

“and we all appreciate someone of deep faith — but it is — it is extremely deep”

This is way of inferring that RS’s faith is over the top, but he doesn’t have the courage or honesty to say that.

Chitownmom on January 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM

BakerAllie on January 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM

The thing that bugs me about guys like Colmes and Robinson is that they get away with this crap under the pretext of being opinion journalists–as if this is some legitimate line of inquiry in public debate. To the contrary, it identifies them quite clearly as having nothing substantive to add to the debate. They shouldn’t be fired because they are offensive; they should be fired because they are incompetent hacks. Why would anybody pretend that they are anything but?

ghostwriter on January 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Skilled wordsmith?

Chitownmom on January 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM

LOL! Not only are they intellectually and morally bankrupt, they are also barely literate “journalists”. What a sad sick joke guys like Robinson and Colmes are.

ghostwriter on January 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM

We needed Rich Lowry interviewing Mr Robinson so that he could have took him to the woodshed like he did with Colmes. If it was a Republican that said anything remotely offensive about a Liberal the whole panel would have been talking about how ignorant and insensitive conservatives are. In this case we only get Joe asking a few questions while letting Mr. Robinson evade, dance, bob, and stumble his way through an answer that wouldn’t fly if a conservative gave it.

RonDelDon on January 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Thank you.

She would have been 10 years old this May. So not recent, no, but still very close. If you know what I mean.

See, Mr. Robinson, this is how you react to the death of someone’s child. You express your condolences.

It occurs to me that if he had just mentioned that the Santorum’s had lost a baby and expressed his condolences, then went on to say, “Hmmm they took the baby home for a while to meet the other kids. I didn’t know people did that, is that a usual practice?” He probably would have gotten the same message across, that he thought it was odd.

It was his insensitivity in calling them weird and his attitude about how weird they are about their dead child that made him come across as an inhuman jerk.

I don’t see that he gets that.

Lily on January 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I’ve always thought Gene Robinson really has a face and voice for the newspapers–the kind that don’t have a lot of pictures.

WarEagle01 on January 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

You know, let’s not even go beyond the metadata here.

Why is it appropriate for them to even evaluate or comment upon how a family grieves over the loss of any family member? Does anybody here consider the topic to be even remotely germane to the issue of The Presidency? Anyone? (crickets…)

The fact that they are evaluating this man’s grief, while ignoring the weird religious background of the current White House occupant speaks volumes about their balance, or lack thereof.

Is there no one who can call BS on these folks on national TV, or does the “sensitivity and tolerance” only go one way?

Medbob on January 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Oh.. BTW… It wasn’t that long ago when families would take their dead members, carefully wash and dress them and lay them out in the Parlor to receive callers.

Medbob on January 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Thing is, Santorum is weird, and what he did was really messed up. If he were any other religion, everyone here would be calling him a maniac. It’s a strange thing to do and I personally thing it’s a terrible thing to expose to one’s children. Quit defending something like this just because his wife cried about it. The first time I agreed with Colmes was when he called Santorum crazy.

Sarcastic on January 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Horse hockey.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 6, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Agreed. And he didn’t just shoot himself in the foot, he committed hari-kari and so far as any decent person would respond, they’d never read his far-left blather again. What a ghastly person….

chai on January 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Whatever. The mask slipped. He can apologize all he wants, he is still a psycho.

bitsy on January 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Sarcastic on January 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Free for all on Mormons and their crazy beliefs. Let’s really go down the rabbit hole of “Are they Christians?”

katiejane on January 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Eugene didn’t sound like a very skilled “wordsmith”. He came off sounding like Obama without a teleprompter. If you want to attack Santorum on his policy views, that’s fine. Robinson’s and Colmes’ attacks were one of the most reprehensible, below the belt, partisan hack attacks we’ve heard in a long time. But then they are probably a sneak peak into the Obama re-election strategy. Find the most disgusting, vile attacks you can find on left wing web sites, throw it out there on MSNBC and the New York Times and see what sticks.

Frank Drebin on January 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I wish I hadn’t said it that way, Joe.

Hey no probs, ‘Gene. Can I call you ‘Gene? Listen he’s only a Rethuglican, a “culture warrior extraordinaire,” as you put it, so he’s barely human. Probably doesn’t even have feelings, as evidenced by the fact that he’s pro-life, right? So no worries, ‘Gene. /

smellthecoffee on January 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Eugene Robinson is about the dumbest f-ing guy on the planet. He has a column fairly regularly on RCP and 95% of the commeters rip him apart with the greatest of easy. I can only figure that he doesn’t read the comments or he would put a bag over his head and retire.

VorDaj on January 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM

What bothers me most is that when these liberal loons actually listen to themselves and realize intellectually how crazy their ideology really is, they don’t have the guts to stick to their convictions. Eugene Robinson truly believes that Santorum is “really weird” because anyone who believes that it is legally and morally OK to rip a baby to pieces at 39 weeks gestation has so little value for human life that they believe that handling a tragedy in this way is weird. Shameful.

MDLibertyLover on January 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Sarcastic on January 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I’ll grant you that it was an odd way to react. But given the circumstances, it would seem to me that people of good will could cut the Santorums some slack on it. After all, it is hardly relevant to an public issue.

Besides, the liberals are the ones that keep telling us how there isn’t an objective morality, and that we really shouldn’t judge others. However, they are incredibly judgmental, particularly when it suits their (political) purposes.

If you can’t see that Robinson and Colmes are crap weasels of the lowest order, then I feel sorry for you.

ghostwriter on January 6, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I have been closely following this story and the comments, here and at other sites. All of this hits close to home for me. My middle sister died shortly after birth. We had a funeral and I was allowed to see her and touch her. She would have been 43 this past year, and I still wonder how life would have been if she had been a part of my life.

Nearly 5 years ago, our beautiful 16 year-old daughter died very sudden and unexpectedly due to complications from a neuromuscular disease she had battled her whole life. As Typhoon has already said, there is nothing in the world that compares to the depth of pain you that feel when you lose a child. Even with all her hospitalizations and close calls, and seeing other children around us lose their battles, nothing prepared us for this unexplainable heartache.
We talk about our daughter all the time, because she mattered…to us, to her younger brother, to a lot of people and we don’t want her to be forgotten. And I may be wrong, but I think this is why the Santorum’s still speak of Gabriel all these years later. He mattered and they don’t want him to be forgotten.

Don’t forget all the attacks they and the Palin’s have endured just for having the audacity to actually bring imperfect children into this world, either. We didn’t know that our daughter was going to have a lifetime of medical issues when she was born. But I can say that we wouldn’t trade the blessing of having known and loved her for anything in this world. The broken road is sometimes the most blessed.

I am appalled at the devaluing of human life in this country and I weep for the loss of compassion to further some political agenda. It’s no wonder many good people choose not to run for higher office anymore.

KaliMom on January 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Just for fun, I decided to see what I could find out about Mr. Robinson’s personal business. In less than an hour, I found out that he has a wife named Avis and two sons. His wife started an organization called “Washington Metropolitan Scholars Program”, which is not a non-profit, but a “community development group”. It shows an income of about $150,000. per year with a staff of two. She received a grant of $20,000. from something called the Meyer Foundation in 2006 for “Creating access to top level colleges for outstanding low income african americans in the DC area”. They also provide financial, mentoring and retention support, whatever that is.

If you go to the website- it appears to be a web search results page for “Apply for Scholarships”. There is no contact button to receive financial, mentoring or retention support. It looks to me like she gets grants to have a web site advertising web sites. She apparently thinks “outstanding low income african americans can’t type “Apply for scholarships” into a search engine without her help.

I got bored, but it really isn’t that hard to find information on these people and question their integrity.

Night Owl on January 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

They say politics is dirty but using the death of a newborn child to score points is hideous and ghoulish.

A full apology would have been weak enough tea. His half-ass one confirms that he has no sense of honor at all.

CorporatePiggy on January 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

What we are seeing is what this election will be like for ANYONE that wins the nomination. The Libs and press will go all out in destroying the nominee at any and every level possible.

We’re going to see media sink to new lows this election cycle. I think it will backfire on them. Especially in a case like Santorum’s.

blindside on January 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

All the more reason to have some who has been totally vetted and squeaky clean! Hmmm, wonder who that person is….perhaps someone who has had 24,000+ emails scrutinized? Say what you will, no one will fire up the conservative base like Arctic Fox.

MJScanlonOH on January 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

It would take major surgery to remove your statement you made about that dead baby and it’s an old lawyer trick and you knew it was when you said it. Very similar to this lawyer trick question. “Do you still beat your wife”.

mixplix on January 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM

“I…was trying…to destroy…a Republican…with…a vicious…personal attack…like I always do…but apparently…mocking a dead baby…upsets some folks…so…I’m just gonna…go back…to calling…them all…racists…like I always do…it’s safer.”

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

+1000

mom29js on January 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

” I wish I hadn’t said it that way”

The only appropriate response us “How did you wish you had said it”.

OU812 on January 6, 2012 at 4:58 PM

You’re right, the last thing I’d want to expose my small children to is a small corpse, presented as their dead sibling. It’s hard to know what kind of long-term trauma that could induce. Some facts of life are better left in the abstract for children.

I also agree that it’s completely inappropriate to show disrespect toward a family that’s experienced such a grievous loss. And there’s no question that therapists recommend parents spend time with a deceased baby at the hospital. However, the Santorums chose to take a deceased child home from the hospital. It sounds very, very strange to me. I question the implication that most therapists would advise this course of action. The act of bringing a deceased person home from a hospital, whether it be a baby or grandpa, is NOT normal behavior. I don’t think that Robinson needs to apologize for calling it weird.

bayam on January 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

bayam on January 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

How exactly is it possible to leave death in the abstract for children? Death is a fact of life that cannot be hidden. So most children certainly learn of it at an early age, even if it is not through the death of a loved one.

Quite frankly I think you are talking out your a$$ just so you can say something to rile up the rest of us.

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I really don’t understand the obsession with this story. Family sit with dieing and dead family members all the time. Often times a family will gather at a hospital or home to say goodbye to a dieing loved one in their last moments.

Now let’s consider the Santorum case logically, shall we? His other children were still young and most hospitals are fairly strict about who can visit sick patients and when. There is no doubt that his other children would not have been allowed in to see their dieing sibling. And after death the hospital would still be finicky about the rules. So what does a family do that wants to let their children say goodbye to their brother?

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

In general, liberals get offended by people who actually want children and who make choices to attempt to have them even though they may not be “perfect”. If the Santorums went and had the baby sucked out of Mrs. Santorum’s body and then tossed into a garbage can then that would have been okay.

That is why so many liberals hate Palin. She didn’t toss Trig into a garbage can and showed everyone that women can indeed “have it all”, that less than “perfect” children are just as valid as “perfect” ones.

That was her fatal mistake – to show liberal women who bought into the liberal feminist lie that it IS a lie. She had to be destroyed.

Just as the Santorums will now because make no mistake if that were a liberal, that baby wouldn’t have made it to birth – it would have been tossed in a garbage can at the clinic.

They aren’t going to let this one go. We’re just going to see various incantations of “sorry you were offended”.

kim roy on January 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Remember how WaPo’s Eugene Robinson(D) was outraged that Tiger Woods mistresses were all white women?

Yeah, he’s not an imbalanced racist hater.

DANEgerus on January 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Lily on January 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM

My sincere sympathies to you, Lily.

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 5:17 PM

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

You need to get your head checked if you think there’s no long-term mental health risk in bringing a dead body in front of children and then explaining its a member of their deceased brother or sister.

Then again, I don’t want to offend anyone. My family has never taken the deceased from the hospital for a return trip home. But anyone who decides to engage in this behavior is perfectly normal.

Sarcastic on January 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

That’s exactly right.

bayam on January 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

inspectorudy on January 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

+1 I’m from Irish descent and our wakes put New Year’s Eve parties to shame. I thought is was weird to pray for Osama bin Laden before throwing him overboard.

HellCat on January 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Robinson did what a good little libtard is supposed to do which is put it in the heads of the idiot drones out there that Santorum is wierd. You know how Democrats hate when you say that about them, because how dare anyone judge them. It’s a huge insult to libs to be called wierd, hence the reason he used it.

Everything goes with libs, you know – killing babies, sexual deviancy, hating Christians – but God-forbid you mourn the loss of your baby at birth….that’s just plain weird to them.

They really suck at this game. How, again, do these people win over the hearts of regular folks??

goflyers on January 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Thank you.

Lily on January 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM

He obviously was forced into that apology, if you can call it that.

He admits he would have said the same thing just differently.

Even though Scarborough set the record straight that the infant lived two hours, Robinson should have done that himself and admitted that the baby wasn’t stillborn. That’s all part of an honest apology. You admit you were wrong and face up to the hurt you caused and apologize for your actions.

hepcat on January 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM