Eugene Robinson squirms through apology to Rick Santorum

posted at 12:40 pm on January 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Allapundit covered this story after it first broke, and the entire thing looked like a slow motion train wreck from the beginning. During an appearance on MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow show, Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson broke out some jaw dropping comments regarding a story about Rick Santorum and his family following the death of one of their children only hours after being born. Their decision to take the child’s body home for a few hours as part of the grieving process was described by Robinson as, “not a little weird. He’s really weird.”

Through a strange turn of events, I was watching for both the beginning and the end of this story. (I don’t watch the MSNBC evening lineup, but on Wednesday I was in DC and the TV in my room was still on that channel from when I’d been watching Scarborough that morning.) As soon as he said it, I remember thinking, “Uh oh… this isn’t going to end well.”

And it didn’t. As James Crugnale reports at Mediaite, Robinson showed up on Morning Joe today and was taken to task for his remarks. The squirming which followed was uncomfortable in the extreme to watch.

In a remarkably heated back-and-forth on Friday’s Morning Joe, Joe Scarborough grilled MSNBC contributor Eugene Robinson over his controversial comments — calling Rick Santorum‘s handling of the death of his newborn “weird.”

“Do you think you may have gone overboard a little bit in your criticisms of Santorum?” Scarborough asked. “We haven’t talked about it. I’m not setting you up for anything. I was taken aback by what you said. My wife likes you very much, couldn’t believe you said it.”

“That was obviously not the right way to say what I was trying to express,” Robinson acknowledged.

“I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody, especially Mr. Santorum,” Robinson added. “But it was in a discussion of his views, and, you know, which I consider extreme, and Santorum himself who is a cultural — culture warrior extraordinaire, whose faith — and we all appreciate someone of deep faith — but it is — it is extremely deep, and it’s a kind of faith that some people, I think, are going be… if not surprised by… at least want to know more about.”…

“It is a personal decision,” Robinson noted. “And I’ve certainly been educated on the subject since — in the past day, so I do understand that — that this is not — it’s not something that’s in any way beyond the pale or considered inadvisable and that many grief counselors do advise a period of saying good-bye to a child who tragically dies in that way.”…

“Do you wish you hadn’t said it?” Scarborough clarified. “You can see how prepared I am.”

“I wish I hadn’t said it that way, Joe. You know, I — we had — had this sort of discussion when I wrote about Chris Christie‘s weight, and I do think that a columnist has an obligation to — to write what he or she thinks and write what he or she sees, but obviously I did it in the wrong way. Or in a way that rubs people the wrong way, and that’s not what I intended.”

He wishes he hadn’t said it that way. And he didn’t mean to offend. I suppose that passes for an apology in some circles. Also, in the video (below) Robinson claims, “I said some people might think that was a little weird.” But that’s not what he said. He said Santorum was “really weird.”

It’s a very difficult subject for me, and even I was put off for a moment when the story was first told. But that’s primarily because of my own personal issues with handling death, funerals, etc. and not some larger social commentary. (I have always had a difficult time even attending funerals and tend to think of such things being handled in a hospital or funeral home, but as I said… that’s just me.)

But the bottom line is that I doubt any of us can even imagine the stress and unthinkable grief of losing a child – particularly so close on the heels of the joy of welcoming a newborn to the family – unless we’ve been through it ourselves. How somebody else deals with that is a personal decision for them to arrive at, and it’s possibly one of the least appropriate things imaginable for a pundit to chime in on, particularly while chuckling and chortling about how “weird” the person is.

For the record, I’ve followed Robinson’s writings for some time and, while I frequently disagree with his analysis, I find him to be a skillful wordsmith and an enjoyable author. But he seriously shot himself in the foot on this one and this apology seems like very weak tea given the nature of the offense. Here’s the video of the “apology” courtesy of Mediaite so you can judge for yourself.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I refuse to believe that Robinson didnt know that Alan Colmes already did this. Of course, I suppose it’s even more hilarious if he didnt. Jackass.

Jeddite on January 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Yes you did…

… go fornicate yourself.

Seven Percent Solution on January 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

“But,but,but….Dead children are a useful political tool…”

-Eugene Robinson

portlandon on January 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Robinson’s remarks are generally disgusting, why would anyone expect anything different?

CrazyGene on January 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

This “apology” is almost worse than the original comments. There are things you can dig Santorum on, but how he and his family handled the death of a two hour old baby is not one of them.

rbj on January 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM

That’s not an apology. “I’m sorry” is an apology. “I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody” means you’re not sorry you said it but you’re sorry that you got in trouble for it.

joekenha on January 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM

It’s weird that he stepped right into the same steaming pile just behind Colmes. That’s a wierdo for you….Pay attention MORON !!!

moc23 on January 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Christie will always be fat and the Santorums will always grieve for the son they lost. Robinson will always be a total tool for the left and willing to say or write whatever it takes to further the agenda.

Kissmygrits on January 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Do conservatives ever get away with the “didn’t mean to offend” excuse? Maybe I’ll really start offending people and play that card.

JammieWearingFool on January 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Oh please, he said it just to give the public another bite at the “crazy” apple that Colmes offered initially. Being taken to task(especially on the same network) is just another part of the process.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

WHAT A DUMBAZZ!
He live in a cave?
What business is he in?
See how stupid libs are!

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Too late jerk. You said it, on television. Now you get to own those words and make your side look like the crazy pieces of crap they are.

Vancomycin on January 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Translation: I you are so unintellectual that you took offense to my brilliant argument, I am slightly aplogetic.

portlandon on January 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

liberals/progressives do not appreciate anyone with deep faith. they openly mock them. well, Christians of deep faith. muslims of deep faith require libs to instantly break out the knee pads.

GhoulAid on January 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I find him to be a skillful wordsmith and an enjoyable author.

Is that supposed to be comedy?

The few times I’ve read him I’ve found him to be one of the dumbest writers around…certainly on par with this latest outburst of fail.

MNHawk on January 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

“I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody, especially Mr. Santorum,”

Yes, you did.

“I certainly didn’t want to have to be made to apologise for my callousness.” – Eugene Robinson

There, I fixed it for you!

Koo-Koo-Ka-Choo, Mr Robinson, Lithium Would Help You More Than You Would Know. Hey, Hey, Hey! Hey, Hey, Hey!

Resist We Much on January 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

JammieWearingFool on January 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Aw you’re just a li’l teddy bear, how could you ever offend?

Akzed on January 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

A non-apology apology.

Do conservatives ever get away with the “didn’t mean to offend” excuse?

JammieWearingFool on January 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Of course not.

NoFanofLibs on January 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Skillful wordsmith….of weasel words. The man is a weasel.

thebrokenrattle on January 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

“But,but,but….I’m a useful idiot and political tool…”

-Eugene Robinson

portlandon on January 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

FIFY

The Rogue Tomato on January 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Democrats testing the waters find that the public is still not quite ready for dead babies to be a political talking point.

Ukiah on January 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

JammieWearingFool on January 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

No. Add this to the list of stuff liberals can do but conservatives can’t.

joekenha on January 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

No one believes you there, Mr. Robinson. But your smile there is passably cute, so go rest high up on your mountain knowing that you’re smiling through your lies and the whole world knows it. Well, most of us do, anyway.

Lourdes on January 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

JammieWearingFool on January 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Macaca…

Seven Percent Solution on January 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Translated: “I’m Sorry I Got Caught”.

Del Dolemonte on January 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

That doesn’t make him incapable of being an a-hole. Which he clearly is.

What we are seeing is what this election will be like for ANYONE that wins the nomination. The Libs and press will go all out in destroying the nominee at any and every level possible.

We’re going to see media sink to new lows this election cycle. I think it will backfire on them. Especially in a case like Santorum’s.

blindside on January 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I really don’t understand the obsession with this story. Family sit with dieing and dead family members all the time. Often times a family will gather at a hospital or home to say goodbye to a dieing loved one in their last moments.

Now let’s consider the Santorum case logically, shall we? His other children were still young and most hospitals are fairly strict about who can visit sick patients and when. There is no doubt that his other children would not have been allowed in to see their dieing sibling. And after death the hospital would still be finicky about the rules. So what does a family do that wants to let their children say goodbye to their brother?

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Idiot

cmsinaz on January 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I heard nothing in Robinson’s remarks that came close to even possibly passing for an apology.

JohnTant on January 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I say give him a break. He just had a “Biden Moment.” Even Obama just recently had a Biden moment. See Obama’s Biden Moment here.

bloggless on January 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

You have very low standards.

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM

So how exactly would Eugene better express his disgust with Santorum’s views? Hmmm? I think he made himself quite clear.

2L8 on January 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM

What kind of ghouls mock the way parents grieve their dead infant child?

JimLennon on January 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

“I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody, especially Mr. Santorum,”

So you were admiring Mr Santorum ?

burrata on January 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Translated: “I’m just following Alinsky’s rules for radicals. If you people are too stupid to see what we’re doing it’s not my fault”.

darwin on January 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

“When I said you’re sister’s a slut I didn’t mean she was a slut or nothing…”

Akzed on January 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

My grandmother had a thought about situations such as this…
And she was always one to call you out and force you to see what you were doing.

Pretty much it’s that he is too full of himself to be humbled enough to apologize but, doesn’t wish to be he old accountable for his actions.

I guess Mr. Robinson didn’t have a person like that in his youth to direct him in his character.
With Mr. Colmes saying pretty much the same thing it tells me the left has their talking points orders and don’t have the thought structure to think instead of simply spewing their indoctrinated points.
It’s sad.
Sad that they would use the death of a child and a families desire to know that child as best the could and let their children know their brother and give the moments of his short life value and history.
Sad because it let’s you see inside their hearts and how barren that space is, bereave of compassion for their fellow man only seeing party and how to use any situation for advancement and to cast aspersions on the opposition.

rebekahhuang on January 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

With all due respect to the management at HA I would suggest that they are giving more viewership to MSNBC here than they get on cable.

dhugh on January 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Sometimes, when I’m picking/cleaning up after my dog…I think I should save some of the “goodies”, and bring them to a book signing when people like Colmes and Robinson come by locally to whore their wares…and just fling it at them! (the mouth…being the bullseye!)

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

“I…was trying…to destroy…a Republican…with…a vicious…personal attack…like I always do…but apparently…mocking a dead baby…upsets some folks…so…I’m just gonna…go back…to calling…them all…racists…like I always do…it’s safer.”

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody, especially Mr. Santorum.

Of course not! Indeed, why would anyone be offended by being called “really wierd,” and then being mocked over his expression of grief at the loss of his child? I’m sure most people in that situation would find Eugene’s comments knee-slappingly funny.

morganfrost on January 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

bloggless Clueless on January 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Wade on January 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Doc. Zero’s take:

Another Liberal Goes After The Santorum Family Over Their Dead Son
The Left’s “new tone” comes through loud and clear. by John Hayward

Even after Alan Colmes’ disgusting comments on the matter provoked a firestorm, and Colmes felt obliged to apologize to the Santorums, Robinson decided he still wanted to go there.

Colbyjack on January 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM

bloggless on January 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

There are skillful ways to spam for clicks to your site.

That was not one of them.

JohnTant on January 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Robinson’s real meaning: “I wish no one was giving me any flack over this. Please stop. Go away. I don’t like this criticism.”

darii on January 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

“I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody, especially Mr. Santorum,”

But he did mean to ridicule Santorum. He should apologize for what he did do, not for what he didn’t do.

pedestrian on January 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

bloggless Clueless on January 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Wade Humorless on January 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

bloggless on January 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

That WORM ought to squirm. And his ‘apology’ means absolutely nothing.

GarandFan on January 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Three thoughts.

1. A pundit’s job is to give his opinion, even if it is outrageous. In that case, there will be an interesting discussion on how someone came to have such an outrageous position. Robinson shouldn’t be encouraged to apologize. He should be asked to explain how he came to this conclusion, and what it says about his liberal values overall. But I’d be angrier if a pundit censored himself. I want them to let their freak flags fly.

2. The reaction to how Santorum dealt with the death represents a major cultural blind spot for liberals. There are different ways to deal with it, and it shows a messed up arrogance to claim that all other reactions are false.

3. Liberals have a dark incentive to attack Santorum on this. In the short term, it makes Santorum more sympathetic to Republican primary voters (The Liberal media attacks Santorum for taking the death of an infant seriously!) And it helps Obama in the General Election, as Santorum would be a weak candidate. And it’s better for Democrats if upset social conservatives stay home after Romney wins a divisive primary.

Mister Mets on January 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Robinson is an idiot liberal so therefore everything he says or writes is idiotic…..simple as that!

DWoDiego on January 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

It’s just more of the typical liberal philosophy. Live like I do, think like I do, or you are “extreme” and “weird”, deserving to be mocked for your beliefs. It’s top-down thinking, not the attitude of a free people.

“Diversity” is great because it is “diverse

Open your mind and appreciate the fact that not everyone thinks a dead baby is trash to be disposed of.

Mord on January 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Every once in a while Morning Joe awakens from his stupor long enough to call out one of the circus of far lefties that have taken over his show. I was watching this morning and saw him lay into Donny Deutsch pretty good for attacking the Republican field.

Roymunson on January 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

(…)

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

The Left — apparently, based upon the disgusting, despicable snarls by Colmes and Robinson, to mention but a few among those snarling about this issue as to Santorum’s deceased child and the family mourning process for that child — the Left thinks that if there’s some indication of illness, sickness and espcially mortality, that everyone else just shuck them into a furnace or something, get up and run out of the room where they lay and “let someone else take care of it”. It’s a classic mushrooming of the “it’s not my job” mentality by the Left: someone else ‘needs to’ take care of the, uhh, the, uhh, the ‘liability’ lying there.

Lourdes on January 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

There are skillful ways to spam for clicks to your site.

That was not one of them.

JohnTant on January 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM

It’s not my site, but apparently it worked for you.

bloggless on January 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

“I certainly didn’t mean to offend think anybody, especially Mr. Santorum, would say anything. After all, the comments were for MY readers and followers.” Robinson added.

belad on January 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

No he didn’t mean to offend. He merely meant to let everyone know that the Santorums are weird. I mean, everyone agrees with that right? You can’t treat a newborn child that has died as a human being. Who does that? Religious fanatics, that’s who. And they can’t be trusted. They are weird.

Of course he is sorry that the Santorums took offense. Because that meant he heard about it from his viewers who were also offended. He literally had no idea that people who are not religious fanatics would take offense to his comment. Because everyone he knows thinks the same way he does.

Lily on January 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

That is no apology and he’s not sorry for saying it he’s sorry he got caught saying something that didn’t give him his desired result.

rebekahhuang on January 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

The GOP is dense if they don’t understand they have to use the same tactics on Obama.

darwin on January 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

The fact that anyone who believes it’s ‘weird’ to allow a family to say goodbye to a baby that died 2 hours after it was born, at home in a tranquil setting, so the children could be involved. Then to hold a funeral, says that that person, Eugene Robinson and Alan Colmes and leftists like them, have something deeply wrong with them. On top of that fact, Robinson, Colmes and those like them have no problem with abortionists killing in cold blood, babies subjected to late term abortion who are born alive, who don’t find the hateful, anti-Christian, anti-Semitic, misogynistic, homophobic Islamists to be extreme in any way.. well, it says that the Robinsons, Colmes and other leftists are absolute monsters.

Ceolas on January 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

In my family, we call that a “sar” as in half of a “sorry”. It’s what happens when you are required to apologize, but don’t think you need to apologize, so you mitigate the effects of the apology by using the “but” word — as in “I’m sorry, but he deserved it.”

unclesmrgol on January 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Meanwhile, Robinson is busy congratulating the teacher in Skokie who told the six-year old child with a broken leg and a cranial hematoma to crawl back to school because the teacher wouldn’t ‘carry’ them.

Lourdes on January 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

let me refresh you as to what’s good these days, and what’s bad:

what’s bad:
1)white heterosexual men
2)families where there is a mom and a dad. both living in the same house. and married to each other.
3)people who work for a living. (see white heterosexual men)
4)Catholics/Christians

what’s good:
1)gays
2)gay sex
3)muslims
4)abortions
5)mocking jesus and those that follow his teachings, etc.
6)hugging trees

now you know why the libs are all over this story, and rick santorum for grieving the loss of his child in a manner that he chose.

GhoulAid on January 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I don’t detect much analysis in any Eugene Robinson column. He starts with a premise, builds a few strawmen to support his take and disparages anyone that might disagree without them even weighing in. Its the same formula in everything he forwards.

DanMan on January 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Ceolas on January 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Yes. Yes, you are right.

Lourdes on January 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Rational Thought on January 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

HA, perfect.

zerotonin on January 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Question: How many Leftist-Socialist commentators are out there on the national scene?

Are they going to play this little game from now until next fall – each one taking their turn with uncalled for comments, then a fake apology a few days later to bring up the subject – again?

Chip on January 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Folks, Colmes and Robinson didn’t stick their feet in their mouths by dropping these thoughts about Santorum. This is a ‘journolist’ type of attack. Once is unfortunate, twice means that this is the talking point that’s been chosen to use against Santorum. By this time next week, there will be about 8-10 liberal pundits speaking about this issue, and none of them will be kind about it. It’s been decided. Might as well get used to it…

joejm65 on January 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Mister Mets on January 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I think there is a simpler explanation. People who support murder in the womb don’t see dead newborns as “true” people. Expect some Femi-Nazi (or keep the change) to critique Karen Santorum’s actions as somehow grievous and outrageous because she did not choose abortion as an option to preserve her own health.

NotCoach on January 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

You know who’s really weird? Eugene Robinson. And I don’t mean to offend anyone, least of all Mr. Robinson. I only mean that in the best possible sense.

rogaineguy on January 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I’m not sure why a columnist would think I’m interested in their “obligation” to opine on Christie’s weight or Santorum’s grieving process. There are areas where a columnist’s insights might be useful to me. These two examples do not qualify. I’m not surprised that this particular columnist does not understand that.

Finbar on January 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

It makes me nauseated to think that these idiots are making money and attempting to score political points off the death of a child. I hope they never feel the sense of loss and grief that the Santorum family has suffered through. Im not pro or anti Santorum candidacy, but I find these “journalists” sickening.

canditaylor68 on January 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Where is that Special Forces hero who took out Jesse Ventura with one punch?

Where have you gone, Mr. Robinson? A nation turns a contempuous eye to you….

A trip to the emergency room might be instructive.

WhatNot on January 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

DanMan on January 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Pretty standard m.o. for your standard loves the smell of their own farts liberal.

arnold ziffel on January 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Did his pants spontaneously combust at this moment?

Key West Reader on January 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Is it just me, or does it appear that Colmes and Robinson’s strings are being pulled (Allah Soros or Schumer?) that they would both make similar stupid comments? Liberalism 101?

Deano1952 on January 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Hear, hear. Well said.

rogaineguy on January 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Chalk this up alongside the whole Santorum “black people’s lives” video. Robinson was content to say essentially “I’m sorry I used an example that doesn’t prove my Santorum-as-religious-whacko meme but he’s still a whacko even though the best argument I had was completely wrong”. He knows it won’t matter now, in this case as in the other; the lie is traveling halfway around the world and the truth has yet to put on its shoes.

The Schaef on January 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I don’t consider that an apology and actually I no longer think Colmes was giving a sincere apology. I just think this is how the left is going to do it this time around. Say something horrible and then apologize. And then another and another until its picked up by the likes of Bill Mahar, Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert. They will mock him without an apology. Can’t wait to see what Family Guy does with it. In the end their message gets out. “Santorum is weird.” “Hes crazy.” Its like watching Palin all over again. The liberal media is evil.

magicbeans on January 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Clearly, Eugene Robinson is insufficiently educated to be indicating that he is a journalist.

First:

Is Robinson unaware where most births happened prior to, say, 1900 or 1920? or maybe 1940? Home. This is true for all cultures, and at all times.

Is Robinson truly unaware of the custom of viewing the body at funeral homes by the family and friends? At the very least, such a setting is frequently the setting for humor in movies and sitcoms. What are the odds that stillborns were kept at home for a few days, to make sure, and to grieve?

A check of existing family photographs from the late 1800s and very early 1900s, particularly among poorer families, will frequently reveal an interesting thing: if there is a child in the photograph, the eyes are usually in sharp focus, even though the eyes of the rest of the family are blurred. This is because the rest of the family blinks a few times during the sitting.

The picture is essentially a funerary item. The child is already dead. The family is having a family photo taken as a way to remember.

Eugene Robinson is an example of why journalists should only report and not try to comment or explain.

Arbalest on January 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Why are Robinson and Colmes so angry and spiteful?

I’m sure we’ll be hearing about how “angry” they are in the news cycle for weeks on end. Most any interview will have that meme reflected on them..right?…right???

Mimzey on January 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Colmes and Robinson didn’t stick their feet in their mouths by dropping these thoughts about Santorum. This is a ‘journolist’ type of attack. Once is unfortunate, twice means that this is the talking point that’s been chosen to use against Santorum…

joejm65 on January 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

And, right YOU are, too. My thoughts, exactly. There are also similar repeats of this “talking point” in Leftmedia by “concerned” Leftwing female columnists, spouting the same decrepit but specific drivel as did Colmes and Robinson.

Lourdes on January 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

If he didn’t mean it he would not have said it, but he was paid like Colmes to say it. Gene you are really really weird.

lilium479 on January 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I didn’t mean to offend Mr. Robinson, but he exhibited sub-human character and should be judged accordingly.

I only meant physical harm should come to him in the most positive way because he is too mentally and ethically defective to learn in other ways.

WhatNot on January 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Why are Robinson and Colmes so angry and spiteful?

Mimzey on January 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

No, I think in Left-speak, their word for it is “(they’re) concerned“.

Lourdes on January 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

It’s guilt. They absolutely cannot see this as grieving for a baby. They have to make it weird so they can live with their stance on abortion. Otherwise all those aborted “fetuses” were really babies.

dmn1972 on January 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Be sure to check out the Comments at the Mediaite piece. Plenty of Democrats praising Gene Gene the Dancing Machine for “telling the truth” about Santorum.

Del Dolemonte on January 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

“Weird”…”been educated…in the past day”-Eugenic Robotson

Lying Lefty cockroach!
Fun to watch the bug scuttle,
when the light of decency hit him!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on January 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Leftists always give themselves away by their first reactions. Trying to walk these hateful remarks back means nothing.

50sGuy on January 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I will BET that all those Democrats “praising Gene Gene the Dancing Machine” over on that other site you mention would be PRAISING Santorum if his “wife” was named Steve.

Lourdes on January 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

If your apology contains the word “but”, it’s not an apology, it’s a defense.

landshark on January 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

All the prominent R’s that defended Palin from the viciousness are here to defend Santorum. Hang on…

Okay they’re finished.

Hot Gas on January 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

You can’t. In my life I’ve been bankrupt, I’ve been foreclosed, I’ve been audited by the IRS, I’ve had a root canal…and I’ve lost my son.

All the other things that you dread, once you’ve lived through them you discover that you live through them and they change you but they really aren’t as bad as the dread. Losing a child is different; it’s far, far worse than you could ever imagine. You would die yourself to give life back to your child if you could.

Anyone, who has never lost a child who would speak in in any disparaging way of the reactions to the tragedy of anyone who has, is worthy only of contempt.

Eugene Robinson has forever earned mine.

Typhoon on January 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I find him to be a skillful wordsmith

He is better than Bob Herbert, but that’s pretty thin gruel.

NoDonkey on January 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

These things always appear in 3s.

1. Colmes
2. Robinson
3. ??

angryed on January 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Why are Robinson and Colmes so angry and spiteful?

Mimzey on January 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

You don’t understand. They are libs precisely because they are angry and spiteful.

Hot Gas on January 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

“That was obviously not the right way to say what I was trying to express,”

Um, so just what was it you were trying to express, Gene?

BTW, Gene, Youtube is forever. Have a nice rest of your career.

Mallard T. Drake on January 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

What kind of ghouls mock the way parents grieve their dead infant child?

JimLennon on January 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I think you answered your own question.

If I’m Santorum, it would take everything I have to hold back from knocking Robinson’s teeth out if we ever crossed paths.

The Count on January 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I am so grateful to Alan Colmes and Eugene Robinson for so clearly laying out the basic thought processes of Progressives, including Barack Obama. Babies, infants, fetuses aren’t human, they’re things. They are objects that can punish people such as the president’s daughters unfairly. Progressives have developed systems in which these hurtful objects can be taken away with as little discomfort to themselves as possible. How dare conservatives try and interfere with these utopian systems. How freakish of them to actually flaunt such systemes and intentially spend time with such objects when it clearly isn’t necessary. So what if the entire family goes through a nine month pregnancy, and there are children at home waiting for the arrival of a new brother or sister. Don’t rock the boat. Conform.

On a separate note, regarding:

and we all appreciate someone of deep faith — but it is — it is extremely deep

Why is it that if a Conservative has a deep faith, he/she is extreme, but if a liberal such as MLK has such a faith, he is a great man? Or, if a Conservative is heavy, he is a suitable target of ridicule as mentioned above, but if it is a Progressive, he is held up as an example of the wide inclusivity of the party. Ditto a Hispanic or African American Conservative, or other minority, or a female Conservative politician, or any and everything else?

Yes, I know the answers, but sometimes I get so tired when it is constantly shoved in my face.

parke on January 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

If the Obamas did the same thing, this shill would think it was the greatest thing ever and would freak out if anybody called it weird. Does anyone doubt that?

Eugene, when you reflexively attack one side all the time and defend one side all the time without thinking, you’re bound to say crap like this. Of course, it also makes you eligible for MSNBC lifetime tenure and Pulitzer Prizes, so there’s that.

Butler on January 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM