Eugene Robinson squirms through apology to Rick Santorum

posted at 12:40 pm on January 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Allapundit covered this story after it first broke, and the entire thing looked like a slow motion train wreck from the beginning. During an appearance on MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow show, Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson broke out some jaw dropping comments regarding a story about Rick Santorum and his family following the death of one of their children only hours after being born. Their decision to take the child’s body home for a few hours as part of the grieving process was described by Robinson as, “not a little weird. He’s really weird.”

Through a strange turn of events, I was watching for both the beginning and the end of this story. (I don’t watch the MSNBC evening lineup, but on Wednesday I was in DC and the TV in my room was still on that channel from when I’d been watching Scarborough that morning.) As soon as he said it, I remember thinking, “Uh oh… this isn’t going to end well.”

And it didn’t. As James Crugnale reports at Mediaite, Robinson showed up on Morning Joe today and was taken to task for his remarks. The squirming which followed was uncomfortable in the extreme to watch.

In a remarkably heated back-and-forth on Friday’s Morning Joe, Joe Scarborough grilled MSNBC contributor Eugene Robinson over his controversial comments — calling Rick Santorum‘s handling of the death of his newborn “weird.”

“Do you think you may have gone overboard a little bit in your criticisms of Santorum?” Scarborough asked. “We haven’t talked about it. I’m not setting you up for anything. I was taken aback by what you said. My wife likes you very much, couldn’t believe you said it.”

“That was obviously not the right way to say what I was trying to express,” Robinson acknowledged.

“I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody, especially Mr. Santorum,” Robinson added. “But it was in a discussion of his views, and, you know, which I consider extreme, and Santorum himself who is a cultural — culture warrior extraordinaire, whose faith — and we all appreciate someone of deep faith — but it is — it is extremely deep, and it’s a kind of faith that some people, I think, are going be… if not surprised by… at least want to know more about.”…

“It is a personal decision,” Robinson noted. “And I’ve certainly been educated on the subject since — in the past day, so I do understand that — that this is not — it’s not something that’s in any way beyond the pale or considered inadvisable and that many grief counselors do advise a period of saying good-bye to a child who tragically dies in that way.”…

“Do you wish you hadn’t said it?” Scarborough clarified. “You can see how prepared I am.”

“I wish I hadn’t said it that way, Joe. You know, I — we had — had this sort of discussion when I wrote about Chris Christie‘s weight, and I do think that a columnist has an obligation to — to write what he or she thinks and write what he or she sees, but obviously I did it in the wrong way. Or in a way that rubs people the wrong way, and that’s not what I intended.”

He wishes he hadn’t said it that way. And he didn’t mean to offend. I suppose that passes for an apology in some circles. Also, in the video (below) Robinson claims, “I said some people might think that was a little weird.” But that’s not what he said. He said Santorum was “really weird.”

It’s a very difficult subject for me, and even I was put off for a moment when the story was first told. But that’s primarily because of my own personal issues with handling death, funerals, etc. and not some larger social commentary. (I have always had a difficult time even attending funerals and tend to think of such things being handled in a hospital or funeral home, but as I said… that’s just me.)

But the bottom line is that I doubt any of us can even imagine the stress and unthinkable grief of losing a child – particularly so close on the heels of the joy of welcoming a newborn to the family – unless we’ve been through it ourselves. How somebody else deals with that is a personal decision for them to arrive at, and it’s possibly one of the least appropriate things imaginable for a pundit to chime in on, particularly while chuckling and chortling about how “weird” the person is.

For the record, I’ve followed Robinson’s writings for some time and, while I frequently disagree with his analysis, I find him to be a skillful wordsmith and an enjoyable author. But he seriously shot himself in the foot on this one and this apology seems like very weak tea given the nature of the offense. Here’s the video of the “apology” courtesy of Mediaite so you can judge for yourself.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

What you are doing is not just “a little weird” but it’s also tacky, cold and a telltale sign of a personality disorder. I feel sorry for your family members who have to live with you. Maybe you like getting attention this way, but to me you sound like nothing but an unpleasant waste of time.

bluegill on January 7, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Keep projecting. It suits you.

Anyone who feels the need to type that kind of personalized rant to an anonymous screen name based on a disagreement want to work out their issues through other means.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 5:12 AM

*might want to work out their issues, that is.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Keep projecting. It suits you.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Sorry if the truth hurts. No doubt I’m not the first person who has pointed out your obvious personality disorder.

bluegill on January 7, 2012 at 5:20 AM

LOL. There’s a lot of that around here.

PS…..I bet your dog hates you, too!

Marcus on January 7, 2012 at 5:20 AM

bluegill – Well let’s hope one day I can be as well adjusted, and verbally abusive as you.

Try not to pose with an baby corpses in the meantime, okay Pookie?

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 5:39 AM

contrarytocommondecency.

Jim Treacher on January 7, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Good one, Jim.

Now do the guy who went on a sociopathic rant…or the woman who made the vile rant mocking leftist with her sicko fetuses = meat analogy. You also missed out on threads of white surpemacy talk in the Ron Paul threads. Earn that bowtie, will ya!?

Mind you, all I’ve opposed is those who wish to characterize Santorum’s behavior as status quo traditionalism. That really shouldn’t set people off showing their true deranged colors.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 5:55 AM

And then what happened?

Jim Treacher on January 7, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Biden had comments about Barack Hussein Obama. “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,” he said. “I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

Harry Reid stated that Obama could be a successful candidate because he is “light skinned” and that he speaks with “no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.”

“For the record, I’ve followed Robinson’s writings for some time and, while I frequently disagree with his analysis, I find him to be a skillful wordsmith and an enjoyable author.”

All I know of Robinson is what I read in the local WAPO subsidiary which seems to find him a credible commentator. Based on that exposure to his writing, this comment by the author is BS!

Nomas on January 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Reid’s, Bidens and Nomas comments reflect the kind of insulting, subtle and patronizing racism that African Americans sometimes face from “well-intended”liberals, which are not unlike the Great Society policies of LBJ and his ilk.

DevilsPrinciple on January 7, 2012 at 6:55 AM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 5:55 A

^^^CLASSIC LIBERAL PROJECTION^^^

This thread is NOT about the Santorum’s decision, but what a thoughtless ass (aka Robinson), said regarding PRIVATE, PERSONAL, FAMILY matters.

DevilsPrinciple on January 7, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Yet you missed the various posts mistakingly claiming Satorum’s ritual was a standard form of funeral?

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I did, however, note that you failed to painstakingly cut and paste those comments by posters that you claim were made here regarding the Santorums decisions as “traditional”. It seems to me that YOU actually believe this is a “non-tradtional” way of handling the death of a beloved family member and that you wanted to project the Santorums decision as “traditional thinking ” onto others you presumed were of a similar political persuasion as the Santorums. The point being that Santorums handled the process in a way that allowed them to show what they felt was appropriate respect to one who was loved and lost and then continue this beautiful journey we call life.

Your lack of follow-up to demonstrate your point was then categorized as being “overly subjective” by others about a private and personal family matter which having been called out on, YOU took great offense. Your posts CLEARLY reflect this and to say otherwise is to live in denial.

Common decency, class and respect recognize no personal barriers, beliefs or ethnicity.

But then, what would you know ? Your name says it all.

DevilsPrinciple on January 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Once upon a time, I almost married a Social Worker (MSW) at the County Hospital whose bailiwick was the neo-natology unit. She had to take dead newborns to their mothers to say goodbye before she took the baby to the morgue in the basement. Closure IS very important. My lady friend got burned-out after a few years, resigned, and moved on.

I’m no fan of Rick Santorum, but I don’t find what he did “weird” in the least.
We all deal with closure in our own ways. If a Leftist fat-mouth can’t accept that, let’s talk about the horrors of his “community”.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 7, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Classic progressive ‘bob and weave’. Say the most insulting and damaging thing then apologize. F*** you, Eugene and everyone like you.

LizardLips on January 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 5:55 AM

You registered with the top CoOnservative Blog in the country, just to come on an p!@# Conservatives off, didn’t you?

How…intelligent? Nope, that’s not it. Bold? Nope, that’s not it either.

Trollish? Yep. That’s it.

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Look. When you make your family a public asset and talk about your private life, people are going to have opinions. Not everyone has had an experience that can even compare to this situation so … “weird” may be a valid reaction for someone who doesn’t relate. Usually, in a normal situation, you may THINK someone is behaving weird, but it’s not polite to say that. This is not a defense of bad manners, it’s just an observation of the world in which we live.

Debbie Wasserman Shultz and Chris Mathews are far far worse as far as I can tell because don’t even recognize how potentially of offensive the things they say are. They lie so easily it insults the collective IQ of an entire nation. The same is true of Obama. I can disagree with an opinion but a lie is like a full metal jacket assault on the brain.

I give this guy a pass. He still seems to have a soul.

BrideOfRove on January 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Pardon typos. *hangs head* Second cup of coffee just poured. I can do better, I swear.

BrideOfRove on January 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Blah, blah, blah — Marcus

I figured you wouldn’t respond at all, but ths makes you look even more stupid. Thanks for the tacit admission that you have nothing.

JannyMae on January 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 5:55 AM

I really should introduce you to nathor sometime, you two would hit it off big time.

Bmore on January 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Bmore on January 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

nathor got an education in the other thread last night. Now the poor thing is just so confused: it’s the journalist’s fault for not giving him all the facts. That is oh, so….. em-m-m-m-m… liberal.

Yoop on January 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Gladtobehere – Can you disagree with someone without calling them a “liberal troll”? It cheapens your posts, really. We’re talking about baptizing a DEAD child, BTW.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM

There comes a point in dealing with people when you have to decide if someone is being deliberately contrarian. I think you past that point several pages of comments ago. The handle you chose, contrarytopopularbelief, is an advertisement that you were at some point going to become a troll, i.e., One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument (see the definition in the Urban Dictionary, which is on the web). Last night I asked you: “How many times do people have to answer you before you stop acting like a Liberal troll?” Note: I asked you to stop acting like a troll. I did that just in case you’re really misguided and didn’t intend to act like a troll.

I also explained that: “If infant baptism was a part of my belief system – it isn’t – I would baptize a dying child. The fact that they did what they did shows their love for their religion and their children. You don’t have to believe what they do, you just have to stop judging them for doing it.”

Let me add further that I don’t believe in infant baptism, but if it was my child who had just died and I was Catholic (which I’m not), then I would baptize the child out of love for both my dead child and my religious faith. You need to stop judging them. Almost everyone on this thread is telling you you’re way out of line. Listen to them!

Gladtobehere on January 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM

You can’t baptize a dead child and it’s “If it were my child who had just died and I were Catholic…”. Look up “using the subjunctive.

Sandtorum did nothing wrong and Robinson is a communist pro-infanticide creep (but we knew that).

Haunches on January 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Yes, it’s “really weird” for parents to honor the life of their child that passed soon after natural birth by showing respect to its remains. Rather, in Mr. Robinson’s world, it would be completely “normal” for that same child to be slaughtered and its body dismembered during “partial birth” a few hours earlier.

lonestarleeroy on January 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Lourdes on January 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Jeez, why do we suspend reality around here thinking this an abortion issue. It was weird!

Marcus on January 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

WHO said it “was an abortion issue”? YOU said that. No one else has.

So perhaps you’ve just revealed your hand there.

Lourdes on January 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM

kingsjester on January 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Oh just shut up. Just because I don’t subscribe to your cognitive dissonance groupthink minutia doesn’t make me a troll. If a Conservative is simply someone who agrees with you then you lack sophistication. I read Hot Air daily, and almost always agree with Ed and AP’s take on things. Sometimes I don’t….but I see where they’re coming from.

The comments section here is another story entirely.

It’s charming to me that we had pages of racist posts during the Paul discussion, and not one of them received accusations of trolling, or ranting diatribes about the posters personality defects. Some of you wouldn’t recognize decency or normality if it was your God given name.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM

The reason being a liberal means you never have to say you are sorry is that to the childish mind, having good intentions, or at least the appearance of them, is more important than actually achieving good outcomes.

I have a close relative that I once sought advice from when I was in a contentious situation at work. I say once because I soon realized that even though she is a highly intelligent person, she was absolutely ineffectual at helping and actually made the situation more painful for me! The reason was that she could not get past the (true) “unfairness” of the situation and focus on how to overcome it. She seemed to think that her contribution should be helping me develop an even stronger sense of outrage and resentment, not solutions. She is of course a raging liberal, both figuratively and literally.

drunyan8315 on January 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Gladtobehere on January 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM

It’s your post which is out of line. The inference that this is standard practice for Catholics is truly misguided.

Sacraments are for the living, so only it’s done conditionally. Catholics practice baby Baptism, which some find controversial, but they do not normally practice Baptism on the dead.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Contrarytopopularbelief, Just out of curiosity, Do you think the priest baptized Gabriel’s lifeless body because he wanted the bereaved parents to have the comfort of being reminded that their child is loved by God and by their church? If so, what’s the harm in it? And why should we care that this was done?

ansonia on January 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Since contrarytopopularbelief is a Theophobic, I thought everyone would find this of great interest:

“In May 2009, it was discovered that President Barack Obama’s mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, “who died in 1995, was baptized posthumously into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day [sic] Saints (READ MORMONS ) last year during her son’s campaign. … It is not yet clear whether Obama is troubled by the practice. The White House declined to comment Tuesday [May 5, 2009].”[51] The June 4, 2008 baptism was performed in the Provo Utah Temple, and a week later the ritual of endowment was performed on behalf of Dunham. LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter confirmed that someone did perform a proxy baptism for Dunham, but said it was “counter to [LDS] Church policy for a church member to submit names for baptism for persons to whom they are not related.”[51]“

LOLOLOL..How rich is that ? Irony at it’s best.

This should be a campaign topic. What say Ye ? Perhaps even a question for Scott Pelley to ask Obama during the upcoming Presidential debates ???

DevilsPrinciple on January 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM

DevilsPrinciple, I just found out Gabriel was still alive when he was baptized. Read what Mark Steyn wrote. And yes, Barack Obama’s mother’s posthumous baptism is a hoot.

ansonia on January 7, 2012 at 8:33 PM

You can’t baptize a dead child…

Haunches on January 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I’m not a Catholic, so I looked around a little bit on the web. Anyone who’s interested might try this site:

It seems that priests sometimes baptize a dead child even though it’s not necessary. So why is Santorum being judged as strange when his priest allowed it? Maybe you should harangue the priest.

As to contrarytopopularbelief, you took the name of a troll, and your behavior is trollish.

Gladtobehere on January 7, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Read what Mark Steyn wrote.

ansonia on January 7, 2012 at 8:33 PM

As usual Mr. Steyn cuts through the fake moralality of the left. If white leftists feel this way about dead babies, I wonder what they must think of black people?

DevilsPrinciple on January 7, 2012 at 9:51 PM

DevilsPrincipal, How have they treated any prominent black American who doesn’t agree with them? I would say considerably worse than the way they treat conservative white Americans.

ansonia on January 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM

ansonia on January 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Aye, Ansonia. Witness Herman Cain.

DevilsPrinciple on January 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM

If so, what’s the harm in it? And why should we care that this was done?

ansonia on January 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I wouldn’t normally care. It’s their home. I have concerns over how healthy it is, and have concerns about the young children in the house, otherwise I don’t care. I’m not condemning Santorum for it, I’m simply acknowledging that odd nature of it, and responding to those here who in their quest to support a political candidate or promote their own social agendas, chose to mischaracterize his personal behavior as “normal”, or standard issue. It’s not, and the attitudes being promoted here are troubling.

I was thrilled by Santorum’s showing in Iowa, btw.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM

DevilsPrinciple on January 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Someone with Devil in their SN talking to me about my personal believes? Go away, you fraud.

When did Hot Air turn into a loser Freeper brigade of outcasts outing the Godless, bragging over who has the bigger social Conservative credentials, and turning on each other outing the secret Libs… ??

contrarytopopularbelief on January 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Gladtobehere on January 7, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Did calling me a troll distract from reading your link to a message board forum? Some Catholics condemn the act. The question is if he acted outside the mainstream, and there’s evidence it’s valid opinion to believe he did. Now, pretending that viewpoint is of Leftist ideology, pretending that viewpoint means you have a disregard for human life, pretending that viewpoint is somehow a provocation…well that’s you acting the Troll. Good job.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 8, 2012 at 2:06 A

It’s good to see that I’ve gotten under your skin. ;- >

Mission Accomplished !!!

DevilsPrinciple on January 8, 2012 at 5:10 AM

You don’t have the ability to actually get under anyone’s skin, but it was a nice admission you were trying.

…..It was as successful as your attempt to work in some inappropriate racial angle that would have made the most hardened of Liberal blush. You merely represent a varietal of Reverse Moonbattery.

Let’s sum it up…if one were to take issue with publicly exploiting a grieving process which involved posing a 4 year old with the corpse of your stillborn child, or to characterize such behavior as outside the norm, we are to naturally presume they lack morality because, you know, that obviously so logically could only come from someone who cheapens life, supports abortion, loves Obama, has never experienced death, has no concept of life, has no friends, suffers from personality disorders, hates kittens and dead babies, and God. Well that’s a solid argument. The Freeper-ization of Hot Air is well under way.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Well, I suspect many people, who want to cut Colmes and Robinson the most slack possible, will now be defending them by pleading that they are only ignorant and socially inept. People of very different faiths are now describing similar “coping mechanisms” for a loss similar to the Santorum’s. Here on HotAir, everyone can read “Our baby was a girl. We named her Grace Virginia.” and “Rick Santorum’s baby and mine.” I’ll bet Colmes and Robinson wish-with all their hearts- that just this once they had done some research before publicly sharing their views. And Contrarytopopularbelief, stop sputtering.

ansonia on January 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

The two stories, both tragic and very personal, are not alike. Had the Santorum’s acted as Grace’s parents did, there would have been nothing concerning.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I”m glad I succeeded t getting under your skin as your lengthy post attests.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Yes contrarytopopularbelief, you have described the situation and yourself perfectly in this last paragraph. You may want to quit while you’re behind.

DevilsPrinciple on January 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Everyone might find thought provoking “Why the story of Santorum’s son is part of the debate” by Ross Douthat. It’s here on HotAir.

ansonia on January 8, 2012 at 11:11 PM

DevilsPrinciple – It doesn’t take getting under my skin to get me to reply. Is that the only reason you reply?

contrarytopopularbelief on January 8, 2012 at 11:32 PM

ansonia – Thought provoking as it may be, here’s another case of blurring the lines and treating this as a pro-Life issue…something people here continue to do, all while denying they’re doing it.

I also think it’s unfair to suggest Santorum or Palin lose the right to privacy by their vocation. In Santorum’s case he purposely made this story public, in part, to promote his pro-Life agenda. That exploitive behavior put a normally off limits target into the public eye, and we’re now seeing it raised for discussion by opportunists. Palin on the other hand isn’t being provocative in her advocacy, and isn’t making choices outside the norm for how a special needs family works. There too, we see a fundamental break down in morality by linking the two situations.

Here again, we see attacks against GOP candidates which could be written off as trivial or out of bounds for an electoral process, but Conservatives over compensate and compromise their own integrity while attempting to defend these candidates.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 8, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Contrarytopopularbelief,You say Santorum “purposely made this story public, in part, to promote his pro-Life agenda.”? Maybe, but then wouldn’t that be a little like saying Gianna Jessen purposely made the story of her birth public in order to promote her pro-Life agenda? Sometimes the evidence of our personal experience does convince–or does more fully convince–us of the truth of something. And I don’t know that Rick Santorum didn’t look at Gabriel fighting to survive and think: he would still be this little person even if his mother and I couldn’t see that truth about him.
I do know Gianna Jessen does think –regardless of her mother’s feelings about her or the pregnancy–she had a right to life on that day, in 1977, that she was aborted. (It’s terrible the sense of entitlement some people have.)
And what do you do about these religious fanatics, and their crazy idea that truth isn’t subjective?

ansonia on January 9, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Not following your point there, sorry. I’ll remind you Santorum’s child was brought to term, and lived a few hours, as opposed to having it’s life terminated in the womb….neither that choice, or that aspect of this story are what’s being questioned as “weird”.

It was “creating memories” with a deceased child after the heart stops of natural causes part of the story which initially sparked discussion.

Santorum obviously thought he could use his tragedy as a teachable/healing story to share, but while he viewed it through the lens of a pro-Life advocate, but that isn’t the debate here. Likewise, neither is his special needs child, Bella (which is another reason that op-ed mentioning Palin was off base).
Now I realize Social Conservative, and strong pro-Life advocates wish it were, so they could be on familiar ground with an angle from which to stand by the Santorum family, and likewise, many of you wish this were a Liberal vs. Conservative issue for the same reason.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 9, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Wish comments had an edit button to fix the goofy sentence structure above…sorry about that.

p.s. Gianna Jessen doesn’t strike me as relevant either.

contrarytopopularbelief on January 9, 2012 at 3:40 AM

contrarytopopularbelief can compress the most words into the smallest idea of anyone known. You may want to consider that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others, CTPB.

DevilsPrinciple on January 9, 2012 at 6:53 AM

bluegill on January 7, 2012

Please cite the appropriate DSM diagnosis to back up your claim.
(wanna borrow my copy?)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM

contrarytopopularbelief on January 7, 2012

Mittens and his cult “baptize” dead people all the time.
Jews have told them more than once to stop it.
That’s not “weird”, it displays a hateful disrespect.
I believe that the “disorder” would be Narcissism re: Willard and clan.

~(Ä)~