Report: Romney’s Iowa win may be due to a typo; Update: Romney actually wins by wider margin?

posted at 10:00 pm on January 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

This is the ultimate story for Romney-haters, isn’t it? Flipping 20 votes from Mitt to Santorum changes nothing on the ground, from the number of delegates they’ll get to the harsh reality of the polls in New Hampshire and South Carolina. Just doesn’t matter at all — unless you’re so anti-Mitt that the thought of seeing a win yanked from his grasp like candy from a baby fills your heart with a sour, schadenfreudean glee. Then it matters a lot.

On the other hand, if you’re superstitious about the fact that no Republican’s won both Iowa and New Hampshire in a contested campaign since Gerald Ford, then this actually makes things nice and simple for Mitt in NH. He’s about to blow out the Iowa winner by 20 points! Exit quotation: “‘A win is a win,’ one aide kept repeating to nobody in particular.” Click the image to watch.

Update: NYT stats guru Nate Silver: “The story on Romney getting extra votes as a result of a typo looks credible IMO. Romney did very badly in other precincts in that county.”

Update: Go figure. From Johnny Dollar:

Icymi, Santorum told Greta a few min ago that a 21 vote undercount cancelled out his 20 vote undercount so Mitt ends up winning by 9 votes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Romney was over-counted by twenty votes!
Santorum wins!
Santorum wins!
Santorum wins!
Santorum wins!
Santorum wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark7788 on January 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM

The following report is from Bettina Viviano, who was just a part of Gov. Rick Perry’s Strikeforce in Iowa. I encourage ALL of you to read it as it is a first hand report of what really went on there and who Rick Perry and his wife are as people.

———————————

I just got back from Iowa…I had the best time I have had in years. I can’t tell you what it was like to be there with the people from 32 states who spent their own money driving, flying, whatever to get to Iowa to support Perry. Governor Jindal, Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Steve Forbes, you name it, were all there. The results of the caucus don’t deter any of us. It’s a libtard state that voted Obama in 2008 and the Democrats were the ones voting Santorum and Paul at the caucuses. I spoke at a caucus and won it for Perry and beat the Romney votes by twice as much. If people get to know who Perry is, they vote for him. He has a long road, and when he almost quit it was horrible. It was on the same day that he had come to the volunteer meeting and spoken and the excitement was so huge that the media even couldn’t hide it. It was a packed room with people standing all along the walls, and waiting to get in. Every news outlet was there and my friend overheard the Fox news guy say “why haven’t we been reporting on this? Perry has more support here than anyone.”

That’s why I find it odd he finished so low, but none of us care. We are still in it for Perry until the end. I met one of the people who is vetting Santorum now. Santorum has never been vetted because people didn’t take him seriously. The guy I met said there is worse stuff than Cain or Newt in Santorum’s past. We will see. It’s sad to see people just go from candidate to candidate without truly vetting them. Santorum will blow up eventually and if Perry stays around long enough it will be Perry and Romney at the last debate and then people get to decide what version of America they want. I could be wrong, but either way for me it’s Perry to the end. No one else makes sense.

I didn’t have a computer to report everything when I was there. And we were so busy. I have never seen anything like it. We knocked on doors all day, posted signs, phone banked. I know the support Perry had, so I will never trust these numbers. The Paulbots were in full force and in one precinct I went to there were ZERO votes for ANYONE ELSE…the entire precinct was Paulbots and I would say 1/2 of them were Democrats. Also, in my precinct there were Democrat Romney voters. The Precinct Leader at my caucus was the Romney speaker and I still beat her after I spent 15 minutes talking about Perry. The Romney chick even congratulated me after. If you just discuss FACTS about Perry, he’s an easy sell.

We had such great stories on the ground…a ton of them, but here are two actually.

The first is that we met a man who traveled to Iowa from Wisconsin to support Perry and he only has 1 year to live because he has lung cancer. The only thing he wants in life is to see Perry in the White House before he dies. He got to meet Rick and Anita Perry and they immediately took him on the bus with them and then the night of the returns, even after they had the bad news that Perry was only 5th and Perry gave that speech…they STILL found this man and gave him the name of their own personal cancer specialist to help him. That’s the kind of people the Perrys are and why I will take a bullet to get him to the White House. Do you think Romney or Newt would do that? After a bad day, take it upon themselves to find this man just so they could help him with his lung cancer? It was unreal. When the man was telling us the story, the three girls I was with and I all burst into tears. I feel like the crazy lady from California who was always crying.

When I met Anita Perry I was crying. She was so sweet. She put her arms around me and spent a long time talking to me and thanking me for going to Iowa. I can’t tell you what good people the Perrys are and how much they deserve to be in the White House. They care more about other people than themselves and they are constantly doing kind things for people that no one ever hears about.

The other great story is that when one of the Perry people knocked on a door in Iowa, the man said that none of the other candidates had come to talk to him and he was so impressed. The next day the man showed up at the volunteer training session and became a volunteer to go out and get votes from his neighbors and family for Perry. It was just that kind of week with all kinds of miracles.

There were so many amazing moments. I wish you could have been in the room when he spoke to the volunteers. He is even better in person and he is so Presidential. But on top of it all he is a great man. He made a BEELINE over to me when he saw me crying and gave me the biggest hug. He is so genuine. It’s ALL REAL. That is why I trust him with my life and my country. There is simply no one else to vote for. Which is, again, why none of the Perry supporters will quit. Ever.

nancysabet on January 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM

She is so genuine. It’s ALL REAL. That is why I trust her with my life and my country. There is simply no one else to vote for. Which is, again, why none of the Palin supporters will quit. Ever.

nancysabet on January 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Tweaked it a bit to show that those who claim Palin supporters are “cultists” are not that different from die-hard supporters for other candidates. It’s just…the rules for Palin are different. Every time, all the time. Go figure.

theotherone on January 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Do you think Romney or Newt would do that?

Romney would. Thats a great story. There are many similar stories of Mitt Romney helping people out to the ma ma max.

Jailbreak on January 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I suspect the Iowa GOP is bullshatting Santorum….hoping to drag out the results until after NH

Looks like he will end up the winner. .

LeeSeneca on January 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Contact: Nicole Sizemore – nsizemore@iowagop.org

January 5, 2011

Statement from Iowa GOP Chairman Matt Strawn Regarding Appanoose County Caucus Results

Des Moines -

Iowa GOP Chairman Matt Strawn statement regarding Appanoose County caucus results:

“Iowa GOP rules provide for a two-week certification process for each of the 1,774 precincts. The Iowa GOP will announce the final, certified results of the 2012 Iowa Causes following this process. Out of respect to the candidates involved, party officials we will not respond to every rumor, innuendo or allegation during the two week process. That said, Iowa GOP officials have been in contact with Appanoose County Republican officials tonight and do not have any reason to believe the final, certified results of Appanoose County will change the outcome of Tuesday’s vote.”

Paid for by the Republican Party of Iowa and Not Authorized by any Candidate or Candidate’s Committee

621 East 9th Street, Des Moines, IA 50309 | http://www.iowagop.org | 515-282-8105

johnt on January 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Delegate count. The AP did an article on the delegate count today and according to the article it goes Romney 13 – Santorum 12. This is based on congressional district votes verses county votes and how the delegates are assigned.

Romney edges Santorum in race for Iowa delegates

Iowa’s delegates to the national convention are not bound by the results of the caucuses. But an Associated Press analysis showed Romney would win 13 and Santorum would win 12, if there were no changes in their support as the campaign wears on.

Twenty-five delegates were at stake in the caucuses. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas came in third in the voting but was shut out of delegates because he didn’t win any of Iowa’s four congressional districts. snip

Each of the four congressional districts will elect three delegates to the national convention. They will also appoint two members to a slate committee, which will choose 13 additional delegates. The slate is voted on at the party’s state convention in June.

The system puts a premium on getting the most votes in individual congressional districts. If a candidate’s supporters can control a congressional district convention, they can choose national delegates and slate committee members who support their candidate.

lowandslow on January 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM

This will cease to matter long before we stop giving a damn.

squint on January 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM

nancysabet on January 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I’m not a Perry supporter, but I have to admit, having a strike-force is pretty bad-ass.

RINO in Name Only on January 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Something tells me that you’re not the least bit humbled, but it looks good on you for humping this camel with such unrestrained hate and glee.

Basilsbest on January 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Well, you have no right to demand an apple from a pear tree. (S)he can only give out what fills his/her heart.

APasserBy on January 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Perry got zero votes in my Caucus, so did Huntsman.

IowaWoman on January 6, 2012 at 2:07 AM

As far as Delegates, it is non-binding. Ron Paul had a secret mission going on with his supporters, it doesn’t matter who wins your Caucus, get elected Delegate. Since the Caucus vote is non-binding Ron Paul was trying to get Delegates that way. I do not know how successful Paul was. He did not get a Delegate in my Caucus but I’m sure He got quite a few in our collage towns.

IowaWoman on January 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM

This was a bonus win any way. Mitt didn’t have an Iowa win as part of his game plan. So whatever.

History is being made… Romney is winning big… if he did win Iowa and then NH that is history.

13 days of Romney campaigning is equal to six months or whatever Santorum put in.

That’s right 13 days for Mitt in Iowa. You could say he won with his hands tied behind his back.

My guess is half of you will tell people 30 years from now you were a big Romney supporter in 2011-12.

He will change history, because he will be the President. None of the also rans… or those who were too chicken to run, will have that chance… they will stay what they are right now.

But Mitt will preside over America’s come back. He will be counted as one of the best ever… and you will have to lie to your children’s children about who you supported.

History will judge the real you badly.

petunia on January 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM

theotherone on January 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM

You mean aside from the fact that supporters of other candidates are supporters of other CANDIDATES?

MJBrutus on January 6, 2012 at 6:26 AM

theotherone on January 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Actually, I think it’s more of a Palin cult of personality. It seems like blind worship where she is seen as this ideal heroine who can do no wrong and who has all the answers. It’s kind of creepy. The Ron Paul people can sometimes be this way too. Same goes for the Obama worshipers. These three groups are in a league of their own.

bluegill on January 6, 2012 at 6:39 AM

History will judge the real you badly.

petunia on January 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM

You are right! I have a feeling Romney will be considered one of America’s greatest modern day presidents.

bluegill on January 6, 2012 at 6:43 AM

He Gov. Perry will change history, because he will be the President. None of the also rans… or those who were too chicken to run, will have that chance… they will stay what they are right now.

But Mitt Gov. Perry will preside over America’s come back just as he presided over the strong Texas Economy despite the recession worsened by Obama’s war on the Red States. He will be counted as one of the best ever because he is the only small govt. conservative in the race with a successful executive record… and you will have to lie to your children’s children about who you supported supporting moderate Mitt Romney who runs away from his dismal record & is as secretive and brittle as Obama.

History will judge the real you badlythe smooth talkers for what they are…superficial and ambitious candidates who make promises, while Gov. Perry delivers and has a record to back it up.

petunia on January 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM

fify

“It’s official in Texas, as Governor Rick Perry, a pro-life Republican, on Monday ceremonially signed SB 7, a health care measure containing language that would revoke the taxpayer funding for the Planned Parenthood abortion business.

The governor was joined by Sen. Jane Nelson and Rep. John Zerwas at the signing ceremony.

“This will defund Planned Parenthood, stop taxpayer funding of elective abortions, and regulate adult stem cell research in Texas,” says Texas Alliance for Life…”

Results…clinics closing.

The Planned Parenthood abortion business has closed one of its centers in Waco, Texas that does abortions. The closing of one facility and consolidation at another location comes after the abortion business laid off staff this fall.

These decisions follow Texas’ decision to yank a considerable amount of taxpayer funding the abortion business receives….Previously, Planned Parenthood Association of Hidalgo County announced that will close four of its centers and lay off half of its staff in response to the cuts the state legislature approved, which state pro-life groups like Texas Right to Life and Texas Alliance for Life supported. The abortion business plans to shut down centers in Rio Grande City, San Carlos, Progreso and Mission.”

This is Perry’s time to step up. His last two debates were solid, and by wisely skipping New Hampshire, he gets to concentrate on SC and Florida…

It might be time to rally the Tea Party around Perry in SC and FL, kids, if you want a shot at stopping Romney…”

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Has the Iowa GOP commented yet? Last I heard they were still certifying the vote counts and hadn’t officially commented on this.

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on January 6, 2012 at 7:03 AM

This map confirms the trend.

“As it does every January, Atlas Van Lines reviews data on the origins and destinations of interstate moves during the last 12 months. The 2011 Migration Patterns study results provide a snapshot of relocation patterns, showing an overall increase in the number of moves over last year…
Southwest states Texas and New Mexico continue to be inbound states, as well as Mid-Atlantic states Virginia and North Carolina..”

Guess Who Added Manufacturing Jobs from 2004-2008: China, US, or Texas?

2004 to 2008 was picked because those are the latest five years that data is available at the BLS for estimates of Chinese manufacturing employment.

Over the five year period from end of year 2004 to end of year 2008, Texas grew its manufacturing jobs by about 1.3%. Over the same period, total US manufacturing jobs fell by 10%. China manufacturing jobs…… fell by 7%.

And yes, Texas and US manufacturing jobs did take a hit in 2009, but Texas manufacturing jobs bounced back in 2010 and Texas had added manufacturing jobs in 8 of the last 10 months.

source: US Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current Employment Statistics (October preliminary data), US Bureau of Labor Statistics, China Employment and Compensation Costs in Manufacturing through 2008, Month Labor Review, March 2011

Romney & Santorum can talk about plans and ideasBut Gov. Perry can show a record of results.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 7:03 AM

So wanting to get it right means that I enjoy

…seeing a win yanked from his grasp like candy from a baby fills your heart with a sour, schadenfreudean glee.

This is the kind of emotional infantile reasoning Democrats regularly employ when they have no ground to stand on. Why am I not surprised to see a Millard supporter employing this tactic?

Anabolic State on January 6, 2012 at 7:03 AM

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Perry is governor of a very Republican state. I would expect his tenure to be a conservative one. What’s more, the position of TX Governor is far less powerful than governors in other states. The things you listed are less the work of Perry himself and are just a reflection of a more conservative electorate/legislature in Texas. In Perry I see no special talent or ability to lead, turnaround the economy or inspire any great amount of confidence.

What I do see in Perry is an ill-prepared, bumbling, cringe-worthy man who looks as though he ought to be running for city council, if that. Perry is NOT electable. It’s not going to happen, people.

Jindal would have been a MUCH better candidate than Perry.

What do you all think of a Romney/Jindal ticket? Seems like an odd pairing to me, but I like them both.

bluegill on January 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Yeah, but the Boston Globe endorsed Huntsman who got 8 votes in Iowa so Iowa does not matter at all.

tjexcite on January 6, 2012 at 7:19 AM

“How desperate are Mitt Romney and the establishment GOP to capture a win in the upcoming GOP South Carolina primary, to be held on Jan 21st?

First of all let’s not forget that is was not the GOP who propelled Haley into the SC Governor’s slot, as much as it was mainly due to massive grassroots Tea Party support. This is what people mean when they say do not change when you are elected, and start drinking the progressive kool-aid of the establishment GOP that gave us the failure of Mr. John McCain against a fluffed up, no-accomplishment junior senator from Chicago, also known as the corruption capitol of America politics. This is exactly how we ended up with the career community organizer and non-achiever, Barack Hussein Obama as our President.

Next up in the establishment GOP parroted statement where Haley says Romney will win the SC primary is this tidbit: “Evangelical voters are a potent force in GOP politics in South Carolina, and some believe that Mormons falsely claim to be Christians.” Add to that fact that this poll currently shows Newt Gingrich with a 14.5 point lead over Romney, and that number is the RCP average across the spectrum of polling data. Denial of reality there, or is it just plain, progressive propaganda designed to “nudge” the SC voter’s perceptions? You decide. While mulling over the facts written here, here is one last bit of information that is sure to enlighten the masses…”

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 7:19 AM

bluegill on January 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Gov. Jindal disagrees with you and stands by Gov. Perry.

“Jindal said Wednesday that he still believes in the Texas governor’s viability and stands by his endorsement.

The Louisiana governor says, “I’m not a fair-weather friend. It doesn’t matter to me where he is in the polls.”

Jindal campaigned with Perry in the final days leading to the Iowa caucus voting. Perry came in fifth, with 10 percent of the vote, but he’s said he’s not ending his campaign.

Jindal praises Perry’s economic development and job creation record in Texas, his support of a smaller federal government and his help for Louisiana during several natural disasters.

Romney has a record he runs away from…Gov. Perry has a record of results.

Some of the best stories for 2011, about Rick Perry’s Texas jobs/economic record:
1. Some just astounding job figures about Texas and the nation. If you see and understand these numbers, it’s hard to see how people could vote for any other candidate.
2. Forbes magazine says Texas is number one for jobs.
3. Site Selection Magazine says Texas is number one for business climate.
4. Texas is the number one exporting state in the nation for the ninth straight year.
5. Texas cities completely dominated the Milken Institute’s list of best-performing cities.
6. DCI: Texas is number one among the “Best and Worst States for Business”
7. Texas Public Policy Foundation: “The Texas Model Works”
8. Rick Perry isn’t just talking about it, he’s actually cutting regulators in Texas.
9. While the nation’s credit rating was downgraded, Rick Perry’s Texas received an upgrade from S&P. Texas has the second lowest debt per capita in America.
10. Area Development ranked Texas number one for business climate.
11. Texas incomes are growing faster than all but a handful of states, especially liberal ones.
12. Texas students continue improving relative to those in the rest of the nation. Indeed, Texas is winning this battle, despite the spin otherwise.
13. Texas has a far lower mortgage foreclosure rate than the nation, especially states like California.
14. Texas dominates Business Insider’s list of “Least Miserable Cities” in America. Also from Business Insider: America’s best-performing cities have moved from California to Texas over the past decade.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Did Mitt Romney reduce regulators in MA during his single term as Governor?

Rise of the Regulators (But Not in Texas)

The President’s 2012 budget calls for total expenditures of $57 billion and nearly 291,000 federal employees to staff federal agencies that contain a regulatory function.

In contrast, Texas has been shrinking its regulatory ranks. In the budget passed by the last legislature and signed into law by Governor Perry, the number of regulators shrank by nearly 6%.

Any wonder businesses and people continue to flock to Texas?

sources: “Fiscal Stalemate Reflected in Regulator’s Budget: An Analysis of the US Budget for Fiscal Years 2011 and 2012″, Susan Dudley and Melinda Warren and Texas Legislative Budget Board

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Whatever anyone says it was a statistical tie. The evangelicals really got out their vote and of course the looney Paul supporters will always be there for him.

SC.Charlie on January 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Will Romney the establishment choice reform Washington DC?
Will DC Insiders Santorum (K Street Project & Pro-Unions) or Ron Paul (Pork Barrel Hypocrite) or Gingrich (Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac Historian) change the Wall St. – DC Status Quo?

Growing wealth widens distance between lawmakers and constituents

Congressional net worth more than doubles since 1984
The net wealth of members of the U.S. House of Representatives has increased over the years, with net worth in 2009 more than double that of 1984, but American family wealth has been stagnant. While Republicans are somewhat wealthier than their Democratic counterparts, the gap between them two has narrowed considerably (Graph)

Sources: Center for Responsive Politics; Census Bureau; DW-Nominate database on Voteview.com; staff research. By Dan Keating, Peter Whoriskey and Pam Tobey/The Washington Post. Published on December 26, 2011, 4:58 p.m.

Net worth of each member

Gov. Perry’s plan.

“Slash Spending for Congressional Staff:

According to the Congressional Research Service, Congress employed more than 15,000 staffers as of 2009.13 In the Senate, the number of staff assigned to senators’ personal offices has more than doubled since 1977; the number of so-called “leadership staff” more than quadrupled over the same time period.14 As the number of staffers grows, so does congressional involvement in nearly every aspect of the American economy.

To be sure, congressional offices can provide vital help to those whose Social Security benefits or passport applications fell through the cracks due to the bureaucratic incompetence of federal agencies. But if the Founding Fathers managed to draft the Declaration of Independence, direct the American Revolution, and author the U.S. Constitution without the assistance of thousands of paid staffers, then current lawmakers can find a way to get through the day with fewer personal assistants.
Criminalize Insider Trading by Members of Congress:

Just as private individuals are prohibited from making stock or bond trades based on inside information, members of Congress should be banned from trading on information about how congressional laws may impact financial markets.

A recent investigative report by 60 Minutes found that “Members of Congress and their aides have regular access to powerful political intelligence, and many have made well-timed stock market trades in the very industries they regulate.”15 Convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff told CNBC that as many as a dozen members of Congress traded on inside information.16 One academic study found that the portfolios of lawmakers, most of whom are not professional investors or financial experts, outperformed the overall stock market by more than 6% a year.17 The Stock Act, which would prohibit Members of Congress and federal employees from profiting from nonpublic information they obtain via their official positions, has been introduced in every Congress since 2004.18 The act has yet to receive any consideration on either the House or Senate floor.

A lawmaker who plans to bailout a publicly traded corporation should not be allowed to use his or her inside information to purchase or short securities that will be directly affected by congressional action. If private individuals can be jailed or fined for trading on insider information, then lawmakers and their staff should be required to live under the same laws when it comes to legislative or regulatory inside information.

Expand the Freedom of Information Act:

Today, the Freedom of Information Act applies to the executive branch of the federal government, allowing individual Americans to request information on departments, agencies, and offices of the executive branch.19 However, despite regulations requiring responses within 20 days, FOIA request response time varies drastically.20 The law must be enforced, and extensions for FOIA requests must be the great exception, not the rule. In addition, under the current law, Congress and portions of the Executive Office of the President that function solely to advise and assist the President, are not subject to FOIA requests.21 The White House must be made accountable to taxpayers. FOIA must also be amended to apply to the legislative branch of the federal government – Congress cannot ask the executive branch for more transparency and continue to conduct operations out of the public eye…”

Fundamental Reform of the Executive Branch

It has become impossible for even the most conscientious individuals and small businesses to keep track of the ever-growing morass of federal rules imposed upon the public ever year. When asked by a congressional office for a list of all federal regulations that contain criminal penalties, the Congressional Research Service responded that “the task is inordinately time-consuming and defies a precise count under any standard.”29 Small businesses and entrepreneurs are faced with an impossible challenge, and waste time and capital navigating a challenging and overwrought regulatory system.

Texas along with Tennessee tops the states in governmental transparency scoring 96% Improving voter access to real governmental data,spending and legislation…innovations championed by Gov. Perry.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 7:56 AM

What shock! More votes found for Romney.
More cronyism..

ChuckTX on January 6, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Where’s ACORN or the New Black Liberation Party when you need somebody to blame? Are we just as corrupt as the left are? Seems like it works for them. Oh wait, we do have the TEA Party to blame don’t we.

racquetballer on January 6, 2012 at 8:21 AM

OT, from Breitbart.tv: Times’ Brooks: Obama ‘More Liberal Than I Thought

From racquetballer: Brooks is dumber than I thought.

racquetballer on January 6, 2012 at 8:26 AM

petunia on January 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Great that you support Romney but Romney isn’t teflon and he’s managed to avoid real scrutiny.

Why does Mitt Romney run away from his record as Governor of MA?

Why did he destroy his records after leaving office?

Why won’t he release his tax returns?

What is Solamere and How is it related to Ponzi Scheme Sanford Group?

In only three months this year, Romney paid over $2.15 million in fees to the firm of SJZ LLC, who in turn manages the fundraising efforts of his current presidential campaign. Suspicion has arisen given that SJZ LLC founder Spencer Zwick served as finance director of Romney’s 2008 campaign and is currently business partners in Solamere, an equity endeavor run in part with the would-be president’s son. Additionally, John Miller, co-chairman of Romney’s National Finance, is also an operating partner at Solamere. It doesn’t end there, however; JRM-C Management, also operated by Miller, has been conducting business transactions with the Romney campaign as recently as late April when the presidential candidate paid the company over $12,000 for air travel accommodations.

Solamere Advisors managing partner Tim Bambauer made $1,143,392 in incentive pay selling fraudulent CDs to investors.
– Solamere Advisors partner Deems May made $465,000 in incentive pay selling fraudulent CDs to investors.
– Solamere Advisors operations manager made Brandon Phillips $70,000 in incentive pay selling fraudulent CDs to investors.

Stanford Ponzi Scandal

Lawsuit against partners

Tim Bambauer serves as Managing Director of Stanford Group. Mr. Bambauer served as Managing Director of Morgan Keegan & Co. Inc.

The Solamere Advisors website still lists Bambauer as a director of the firm. It also lists Tagg Romney.

So explain to me WHY Romney is the best candidate to beat Obama….aside from debating well? (Until he’s challenged then he folds like a heap suit) on TV that is.

(Gov. Perry has manged in two debates to rattle Romney so much he lost control of himself…much to the amusement of conservatives)

Romney -”Look, we went to the company and said, you can’ have illegals working for your company…I’m running for office for Pete’s sake, we can’t have illegals.”

But Romney barely gets through his answer before Perry interrupts: “Are you a liar?”

To which Romney fires back: “You have a problem with allowing people to finish speaking,” Romney retorted, “and I suggest that if you want to be President of the United States you have to let both people speak.”

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-10-18/politics/30292785_1_illegal-immigrants-mitt-romney-immigration#ixzz1igW72IRJ

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Yeah, Rick probably won it! Shame if there were any shenanigans going on in Iowa.

IndeCon on January 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Solamere + Stanford Group Ponzi Scandal will blowup in Romney’s face.

nuff said

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Aw come on – those thousands of government staffers are necessary to ruin…ooops, run this nation. Some one has to be responsible for reading all those two-thousand page bills to make sure that the unions wrote them correctly and you certainly don’t expect those busy politicians to actually do that kind of work that other Americans wont do, do you?.

Don L on January 6, 2012 at 8:49 AM

The guy I met said there is worse stuff than Cain or Newt in Santorum’s past. nancysabet on January 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I have it on good authority you’re a Communist.

Just sayin.

Akzed on January 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

“What changed his mind?

Senior Perry aides, friends and staff members told Reuters that after a restless night, Perry and his staff ultimately decided there were four reasons the campaign should continue.

Most significantly, his team essentially calculated that Rick Santorum, who emerged in Iowa as the leading conservative alternative to former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, isn’t a strong enough candidate to hold that position in future contests.

Perry’s campaign also received calls from supporters in Texas, who urged the governor not to give up. And Perry aides determined that their campaign – more so than those of Santorum, a former U.S. senator from Pennsylvania, or former House speaker Newt Gingrich – had the organization and fund-raising abilities to compete with Romney in the South Carolina primary on January 21.

Finally, Perry decided that he did not want to leave the race without competing in South Carolina, a state whose conservative voting base is more in line with his politics than middle-of-the road Iowa or New Hampshire, which will hold its primary on Tuesday.

Finishing behind Romney, Santorum, Texas congressman Ron Paul and Gingrich in Iowa made for “a tough night,” said Perry senior aide Ray Sullivan, who while at the hotel bar late Tuesday had spoken lovingly of being able to spend the next night in his own bed in Austin, Texas.

“But in the light of day, there was ample reason and ability to continue” the Perry campaign, Sullivan said.

A Republican strategist with ties to the campaign said the Texas governor’s staff determined that “there’s still going to be an anti-Romney candidate, and the field to become that person isn’t strong.”

The other Republicans competing for the nomination to challenge Democratic President Barack Obama in November’s election “all have about equal odds to be the anti-Romney,” the strategist said. “If that’s true, you might as well stay in to South Carolina.”

Sullivan agreed, saying “We are much better positioned to be that person than Santorum,” whose fundraising operation pales in comparison with Perry’s…”

Santorum voted against right to work laws & for Unions.

He opposed National Right to Work legislation.

In the 104th Congress Sen. Santorum joined all Democrats and a minority of Republicans in voting to filibuster the bill S. 1788, the National Right to Work Act of 1995. (“On the Cloture Motion (motion to invoke cloture on motion to proceed to consider S.1788),” Senate Bill Clerk, Vote Number: 188, http://www.senate.gov, 7/10/1996)

During that same congressional session, Santorum also voted to retain the 1930s-era Davis-Bacon Act that forces taxpayers to pay union wages in government-funded construction and gives Big Labor an unfair advantage over non-union companies and workers (“On the Motion to Table (motion to table Kennedy Amendment No. 4031 to S.Amdt. 4000 to S.Con.Res. 57),” Senate Bill Clerk, Vote Number: 134, http://www.senate.gov, 5/22/1996)

“Right to Work Movement Hasn’t Forgotten About GOP’s 1995-2007 Record

“From 1995 through 2007, Republican politicians like Newt Gingrich [Ga.], Tom DeLay [Texas], Dennis Hastert [Ill.], and John Boehner [Ohio] were calling the shots in the U.S. House,” recalled Doug Stafford, vice president of the National Right to Work Committee.

“For more than 10 of those 12 years, GOP solons were also in charge of the U.S. Senate. And for six of the 12, Republican President George W. Bush sat in the White House.

“Unlike Speaker Pelosi, Speakers Gingrich and Hastert weren’t products of the Big Labor political machine. But very much like Speaker Pelosi, they kept measures to repeal federally-imposed forced union dues and fees bottled up in committee throughout all the years they were in power.

“Committee leaders, members and supporters haven’t forgotten. And our goal now isn’t merely to help forge a House and Senate that will refuse to hand union officials even more special privileges.

“Rather, our goal is a Congress with the fortitude to move to take away, even over the objections of a Big Labor President, the forced-unionism powers that union bosses have already.

“The Committee’s Survey 2010 is critical for this long-term objective.”

“We also analyzed private-sector job growth since June 2009, which federal officials said was the end of the recent economic recession. North Dakota, again, was at the head of the class and Texas, another right-to-work state, was second. Thirteen of the 22 right-to-work states were among the top 25 states in job growth. Four of the five states with the lowest private-sector job growth rates were not right-to-work states.

Nine of the nation’s 10 fastest-growing states over the past decade were right-to-work states. Five of those states — Arizona, Idaho, Nevada, Texas and Utah — had increases in job growth since April 2001
. The population growth in those states may be a factor…”

“As reported in the Boston Globe and as seen in the New Hampshire debate video, both Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich believe it is perfectly okay for the federal government to mandate that every private sector worker in the United States pay forced-dues to labor unions as a condition of getting or keeping a job. Attention Mr. Romney and Mr. Gingrich: Right To Work is not a states’ rights issue, it is a freedom issue. The Federal government should not mandate compulsory unionism…”

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Don L on January 6, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Yeah…I don’t think Romney,Gingrich & Santorum’s actions on their record of either supporting Fed. push for Unions or blocking Right to Work Legislation will play very well in SC.

Gov. Perry’s speech to the NH Legislature staunchly supporting republican push for Right to Work legislation was inspiring…both cheers and applause (Standing Ovation) and Boos from Unions & Liberals.

“It starts with a simple promise. No more bailouts, whether we are talking about bankers in America or in Europe. It continues with my pledge to end wasteful earmarks. And I won’t stop until Congress and the American People pass a balanced budget Amendment to the United States Constitution.

I believe there is a model for good governance that Washington should emulate. It is the model of the citizen-legislature that you have in New Hampshire today.

You take care of the people’s business, pass a budget, and then go home and live under the laws you pass. Washington is broken because the professional political class consolidates more and more power and leaves the rest of us less freedom.

Our debt is now $15 trillion. 14 million Americans are out of work. One in eight Americans are on food stamps. And Washington’s only answer is to spend more money and become more central in our lives.

As the state that lives by the motto, “live free or die,” you have demonstrated a better way where spending is kept under control, budgets are balanced and residents are freed from the burden of paying either a state income tax or a state sales tax. And if you ever doubt the power of taxation to dictate consumer decisions, look at how many Boston workers have moved their homes across the border to the Granite State.

If you pass into law a right to work law, you may just join my home state in creating more jobs than any other state in America.

Unions have a proper role in America, but you shouldn’t be forced to join one to feed your family.

I am here to say to every American frustrated by the excess spending, by this faltering economy, by the Washington and Wall Street Corruption: you have a choice this election.

You don’t have to sit back and take it anymore. You don’t have to resign yourself to choosing between Washington Insiders. You don’t have to settle for modest reform that amounts to a reshuffling of the status quo. You can reach beyond the confines of the Beltway and choose bold change from a true Washington Outsider…

These Americans haven’t quit. They aren’t buying into the idea that our best days are behind us. They simply want their country back….”

video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0l6XBPgrtI

“Concord, N.H. — Despite a strong majority and support from GOP presidential candidate and Texas Gov. Rick Perry, New Hampshire Republican lawmakers failed to achieve a two-thirds majority required to overturn Democratic Gov. John Lynch’s veto of a right-to-work bill, delaying House Speaker William O’Brien’s hopes of making New Hampshire the first state in the Northeast to prohibit forced union membership as a condition of employment.

The veto was sustained by 12 votes, with the Democratic minority maintaining strict discipline and some Republicans crossing party lines. Still, a strong 240–139 majority favored overturning Lynch’s May 11 veto.

When the decision was announced, half the Floor gallery — which was split between right-to-work activists and union members opposing the legislation — erupted in cheers and chants of, “Whose House? Our House!” while Democratic members told them to quiet down.

So many activists — from both sides — attended the session that a separate room with closed-circuit TV coverage was set up to accommodate the overflow.

Right-to-work activists swore to press on despite the setback. A contentious issue for two decades in New Hampshire, the legislation would bar unions from collecting dues from employees who do not want union representation.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/11/30/right-to-work-vote-fails-in-new-hampshire-legislature/#ixzz1igjyaj6E

Republicans who are in the pocket of Big Labor Unions are just as bad as Democrats and their populations & businesses are fleeing these bankrupted states to right to work states to survive.

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

” National Right to Work Committee President Mark Mix stated the following upon hearing the results:

“Mitt Romney’s lackluster performance in the Ames Straw Poll shows the importance of the Right to Work issue. With America’s economy struggling to survive, the American people want to be free from the damages of forced unionism. Americans know that a Right to Work Law would help restore the economy, and they want a president that will fight for Right to Work.

Throughout his political career Romney has continuously refused to publicly pledge support for the National Right to Work Act. In fact, he has done everything in his power to avoid the question altogether. The most recent incident was in Concord, New Hampshire earlier this week. Once again, while discussing the Right to Work issue, Romney refused to state whether he would sign a National Right to Work Bill.”

Repealing the FDR era Union Laws will boost the economy.

“Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said today that while he favors right-to-work legislation on a state level, he will not push for a federal right-to-work law…”

workingclass artist on January 6, 2012 at 9:48 AM

bluegill on January 6, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Uh, I think whoever gets elected is going to shine next to what we have now. I mean, you know, anyone could think of a way to create thousands of jobs right off the top of their head without any high paid advisers or staff members telling me what to do. Reissue drilling permits. Open up the rest of America’s natural energy supply. Repeal ObamaCare. Fire all the Czars. Heck, just don’t go on vacation for 6 months and you’ll save millions from the budget.

You know… a totally separate thought I just had out of nowhere. I listened to an old old Obama speech a few days ago and he’s complaining about America’s roads and bridges. I think every politician since we built our first road or bridge has pushed some kind of spending bill to repair “America’s crumbling roads and bridges.” They seem to be perpetually forever crumbling and no matter how many bills are passed to repair them they never stop crumbling.

JellyToast on January 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM

bluegill on January 6, 2012 at 6:39 AM

History will judge the real you badly.

petunia on January 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM

bluegill on January 6, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Who’s the cult of personality?

dmn1972 on January 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Vote miscount? Hahahahahahahah … this is sooooooooooooo Chicago!

stukinIL4now on January 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

All it proves is the Iowa has COWPIES-FOR-BRAINS!?!

Colatteral Damage on January 6, 2012 at 4:00 PM

History will judge the real you badly.

petunia on January 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Right, it’ll be like GW Bush… Fiscal conservatives now have to pretend they supported Bush and that he’s awesome because he turned out that way… if you ignore the entire reality of what “compassionate conservatism” does.

Or would you care to run the discretionary spending numbers for Bush and explain why he’d get the support you claim Romney will get in the future?

Yes Obama is worse than GW Bush on the economy; that doesn’t mean Bush was good… and he clearly wasn’t good if you ever look at any of the numbers showing the deficits and expanding government.

Do you think that Romney will be considerably better and more conservative than GW Bush was? Do you have any reason for believing this besides hope?

Yeah, history will judge us badly; while also trying to find a way to pay the massive interest payments on the debt we’ll load up on them… how dare we not support the crushing debt they’ll suffer under… or something like that… right?

I’m good explaining to the next generation that my hope for them was to avoid the crushing debt and poverty that the big government spending will load up on them… and that I lost and you won which is why they’ll be paying 10-15% of their GDP forever just to cover the interest on the debt we’ll leave them.

But I’m sure that they’ll shun me and praise you for working to make sure that they’ll lose 10% of their income before the ever start paying taxes for their own purposes. Who doesn’t love the person who loaded them down with debt?

Can I borrow a ton of money and pass you the bill to pay off? Or would you not thank me for that?

If Romney actually does go for a fiscally conservative government I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong in opposing him; but pardon me if I don’t start writing my “mea culpa” speech just yet…

I see no reason to suspect he’ll cut, trim, or manage the size of the government to reduce the deficit and debt substantially and get us back onto sound financial footing… if you can give evidence that he would, feel free.

As Governor Romney grew the size of government in Massachusetts; but he’ll do something different here?

In 2003 he inherited a budget running a huge debt at 32,046.556 (million). He wrote the 2004-2007 budgets, and 4 years later had their budget at 34,194.834 million. Slower growing than it was before him, but still keeping the size of government growing.

When we’re spending 150% of our revenue, how many years will we keep a massive deficit piling on debt under Romney? Are you sure the future will love us if we work to pile massive debt on them?

gekkobear on January 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM