Navy SEAL: Why yes, I did punch Jesse Ventura in the face for saying we deserved to lose some guys in Iraq at a wake for an MOH recipient

posted at 4:32 pm on January 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart TV, three minutes from Opie & Anthony with the deadliest sniper in American history. So awful is this accusation that I paused after watching it to consider that maybe it isn’t true. I mean, is this something that a belligerent Truther would be likely to say to a bunch of a servicemen while they’re mourning a fallen comrade? And then I thought: Yeah, this is exactly what he’d say. So there you go.

By the way, was Jesse Ventura actually once governor of Minnesota? This Jesse Ventura? Did I hallucinate that? Content warning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Of course you think it’s a weak justification- you’re a tool who doesn’t honor or respect those who serve this country. You should be ashamed of yourself for defending Ventura, who brazenly insulted the family and friends of this hero at his own wake. He asked for it!
My God- what is wrong with you?

GMO on January 5, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I see a new defense for men accused of spousal abuse. “She asked for it!”

Brilliant argument.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM

How did you guys get onto the First Ammendment?

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

This states the Government cannot pass a law abridging the freedom of speech. It doesn’t say an individual can say whatever he wants, whenever he wants, wherever he wants. Two individuals, interacting in this manner, would not come under the government’s prohibition re: free speech. Jesse had every right to say what he said. Just realize you must accept the consequences of such speech.

Mitoch55 on January 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I understand that Fred Phelps extended a personal invitation to Jesse to protest with the Westboro Baptist Church at the next soldier’s funeral.

CalFed on January 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Where do you find that the Constitution protects rude abusive anti-socials?
AH_C on January 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I was under the impression that the Constitution applied to everyone. There is no present exception for “rude abusive anti-socials” that I am aware of.

Lord on January 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The more I read the comments on this site, the more and more I see no respect for rights, for the Constitution, and for the rule of law.

Yes, let’s go around and punch people when they say something we don’t like. Maybe we can take it further and incarcerate them for having an unpopular opinion and thought, and then maybe we could execute them for it. Let’s throw away our rights becuase we refuse to respect the rights of others.

You are all nothing but hypocrites.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Tolerance does not mean tolerating the intolerable. There are boundaries. Jesse Ventura deserved what he got. He’s no better than that those insane Westboro Baptists who go around like a pack of ghouls and protest at the funerals of fallen heroes. In fact, there seems to be a close correlation between Truthers like Ventura, Westboro Baptists, Ron Paul true believers like yourself, and Stormfront refugees like another new poster on here, PrimordialWhateverHisNameIs. You’re all pretty much indiscernible from a distance. It’s only when one gets close that one is able to see the variations.

The chattering of the fringe gets louder every fourth year in this country, reaches a crescendo in November, then fades away until the next election cycle. It gets tiresome after a while.

troyriser_gopftw on January 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Well its nice you think that. Reality however thinks that if you say the wrong thing to the wrong person in the wrong place you will end up with a fist in your face, if not worse. Reality always trumps rights, always has always will. With your childlike reasoning I understand why you like Ron Paul.

Sultanofsham on January 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Lord on January 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

So let me get this straight, kid.

You expect us to go to miserable hell-holes, combat the most insane, vicious and animalistic rgetrograde men imaginable and then come home and watch silently and peaceably as some jerkwad insults the memory of a died-on-the-field-battle friend in the presence of that friend’s mother. At his wake.

I’ll take my chances with the judge.

You can take your chances with the competency of the attending physician at the ER.

M240H on January 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I’ve decided that I think Lord might be uptight but actually close to being maybe an ok guy. But Dante is still a hypocrite of the worst order. He’s talking about no one understanding the Constitution and he’s come of the newbies that keeps talking about ripping the military down to nothing. If he had his way, he’d disband the SEALs.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

And you keep spoiting lies. Where have I ever advocated ripping the military down to nothing? Where have I ever said I wanted to disband the SEALs? You, sir, are a liar because you refuse to even try and understand another viewpoint.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Not just any SEAL, but Chris Kyle, America’s Deadliest Sniper.

Hey man, nice shot.

Pablo on January 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

You are all nothing but hypocrites.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Maybe you should stick with the paulbots at Stormfront. I’m sure you’ll find kindred souls there who’ll agree with you.

Solaratov on January 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I invite either Dante or Lord to explicitly say that Ventura’s sentiment that “we deserve to lose a few” was wrong.

My prediction is that they won’t, because they believe it.

stefanite on January 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

No response. The only reason these two are here is because they agree with Jesse Ventura, and take exception to someone standing up to him. They believe our troops deserve to die because it’s our fault for interfering. That is really the core of Ronulan beliefs.

They cut and paste a lot of talking points about “individual liberty,” but in reality they are just a bunch of war protestors left over from the Bush era trying to stay relevant by pretending to have some kind of political platform.

stefanite on January 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Yup. The SEAL didn’t own the bar nor did his friend’s mother. The SEAL can’t restrict speech on property he doesn’t own by punching innocent people in the face. Basic private property rights.

I’ll take my chances with the judge.

Ah, ok. You go to jail for doing something you know is illegal. Have fun.

Lord on January 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Lord on January 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Cool.

M240H on January 5, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Jesse did not consent to a fist fight. I would be fine if the SEAL asked Jesse to fight and Jesse agreed.

Lord on January 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Meh. He asked for it. He was UDT, special forces, military. He knows the score about what you say to a brother and what you don’t say. Don’t turn this into a SEAL kicking a pansy’s ass. It was a punch well deserved by the code men use to settle their differences and have throughout time immemorial.

Tennman on January 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Reality always trumps rights, always has always will.

Sultanofsham on January 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Wow.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

You don’t ever have to call me Sir.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I’ll take my chances with the judge.

First you’d have to find a cop to take you in, no? I’d recommend hugging that Mom and raising another glass.

Pablo on January 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM

…….problem is your ilk also wants to be able to force everyone to have to listen to your opinions,

Freedom of speech is just that….but no one has to listen to you. Say what you gotta say in the Mohave Desert and everyone is happy.

sbark on January 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM

You don’t ever have to call me Sir.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Ma’am, then.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Lord on January 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The Constitution restrains the government. It has never defended anyone from a punch in the face.

Pablo on January 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Where were his body guards. Whenever you see him he always had 2 of them around.

RickB on January 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM

So when someone insults you [with words], it’s justified to punch that someone in the face? Go ahead and try that. You’ll get thrown in jail.

Lord on January 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Did it once while in the Air Force, back when I was lean and mean. Guy called me the c-word. Lots of witnesses, no charges. Guy didn’t want too many more people to know that he received a shiner from a woman.

It also helped that most of the witnesses had contemplated doing to the guy what I had done. See, this is the thing: being a general jackhole reduces one’s options. It’s the way of the world.

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Why would you believe something ridiculous like that? There are all sorts of repercussions that people are perfectly free to engage in.

Pablo on January 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Reality always trumps rights, always has always will.

Sultanofsham on January 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Wow.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM

He sounds just like your mom when she kicked you out of the basement doesn’t he?

sharrukin on January 5, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Ma’am, then.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM

That’s even worse.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Ma’am, then.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Clever. Like a rodent that finds the cheese in a maze, you’ve been conditioned by a far too easy existence to expect no repercussions for persistently adolescent behavior. Clever.

M240H on January 5, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Don’t forget we are tried by a jury of our peers for situations like this.

jhffmn on January 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

BALDILOCKS!!! How’ve you been, girlfriend? Long time…

Pablo on January 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Mark the calendar. Balilocks. (Hawk bows)

Newbies, this is someone special. A warrior, book writer and original Conservative Icon for this site.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

You are all nothing but hypocrites.
Dante on January 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Cognitive dissonance much???
1) What are these rights you speak of? The only “rights” I know of is the god-given, inalienable rights in the DoI & BoR.

2) What does the Constitution have to do with one decking another for insulting words?

3) Respect for the rule of law is noble. The law can be ignoble if it does not respect the rights of man or if it denies one justice. Or do you imply that the FF had no respect for King George’s laws and that their consequent rebellion is unjustified?

4) What rights did Jesse have to NOT be decked? What rights did Jesse not respect of the Seal and the wake? In fact, the status quo of today’s laws does much to impign the right of people to seek redress for grievances. When the bar for redress is too high, whether financially or to even have standing in court of law, then in effect, the govt has limited the right of the people to seek redress for said grievance.

What the Founders had in mind was ensuring the federal government could not restrict speech, period.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM

You got this part textually right. So how did you conflate the rights of people against the govt with laws that govern social interaction? Rights can (leave it to marxists and big govt types to try) never be revoked by the govt, but laws can.

To wit, the law is strict on assault & battery. But it can just as easily be watered down the very next day to de-criminalize duels. Either way, no one’s rights have been violated

You don’t have the slightest understanding of the Constitution.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:05 PM

But I repeat myself, the Constitution doesn’t say what you think it means.

Where do you get the “and do” part? Yes, I believe people have the right to say what they think, no matter how deplorable, without repercussion, as long as no force or fraud is involved.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Just because you repeat your misunderstanding of the Constitution, DoI & BoRs incessantly doesn’t make your opinions the truth.

AH_C on January 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Don’t forget we are tried by a jury of our peers for situations like this.

jhffmn on January 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Oh, make no mistake, Mr. Kyle would be on the hook if Ventura pressed charges. He won’t though.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Pablo on January 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM
hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Awww. You’re making me blush!

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Pablo on January 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Yes, but keep in mind the context of the discussion and try to guess which repercussions we’re discussing.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM

If Mr. Kyle went to jail, he have all the cigarettes without having to strong-arm anyone for them and his virginity would remain in tact. I’m not worried.

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Oh, BTW, “Lord,” if you think that men don’t use violence to champion their differences, even in Congress, you’re nothing but a dissembler. Read this.

Tennman on January 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Awww. You’re making me blush!

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

My work is done here.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Where’s this SEAL bar? In Texas? Good luck getting a jury to convict a man like Mr. Kyle there. There’s the law, then there’s justice.

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

You know, a better discussion might be how well that guy is holding up. I know kids that were mostly fobbits that are claiming PTSD. This guy has personally killed 255 bad guys and seems to be doing just fine. It makes you wonder.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM

As a former Marine Scout Sniper, may I commend Mr. Kyle on his performance; both on and off the field.
In case anyone cares, (and I’m sure you don’t) my wearing the uniform to defend the First Amendment protections afforded us by the Constitution, was predicated on -EXACTLY- this type of incident. I love a country where you are free to say what you like…but be forewarned..if you act like a braying jackass simply to offend people, I don’t wanna hear you cryin when a good man knocks you on your ass.
Jesse, you are completely free to your opinion…but you went attention-whorin’ in the wrong bar ya old fool. And everyone who says this guy should be locked up for punchin’ Jesse…I say 20$ fine, and be on your way, Sir.

Even though nobody can ask him any more, I’m pretty sure that’s the way Gunny Hathcock would’a seen it, too.

a5minmajor on January 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM

a5minmajor on January 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Thank you for your service, Sir.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Attitudes like the one displayed in the comments by Dante are a good example of why our society has become so coarse in general. People feel like it is ok to say or do anything they want no matter how vile or disrespectful and they will not have to face any sort of repurcussions. People tend to act in a more civil manner when the possibility of a knot on the head or a fat lip may be the result of boorish behavior. The anonomynity of the computer keyboard really brings it out in people. I say the chief did what needed to be done in this circumstance. And for the record Ventura forfeited his “innocent people” status when he spouted his comments in that environment.

pcola71 on January 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I’ll take my chances with the judge.

M240H on January 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

If it comes to a jury trial, count on my vote being “not guilty”.

Pablo on January 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM

QFT.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM

You’re a fool and a coward who lives in a fairy-tale world where you can blab anything you want – anywhere, anytime, anyplace – and expects to always walk away unscathed.

Reality is going to hit home sooner or later, bub. Probably in the form of a blunt object or fist wielded by someone who got tired of the little cockroach who thinks the First Amendment comes with an impenetrable force-field.

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I’m astonished at your answer.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Oh, and to the fool that said this event could lead to men’s defense of domestic violence/abuse becoming ‘She deserved it’?…If anyone NEEDS to explain the difference between a 5’2 115lb female at home fearing for her safety, and Jesse ‘The Body’ Ventura shooting his mouth off at a bar frequented by Navy SEALS, to you; go hit yourself in the head with a roofing hammer for about 20 minutes. (Yes you, Dante.)

a5minmajor on January 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM

That doesn’t diminish the ridiculousness of your statement. People who say stupid things pay for them regularly. You ever been with a woman? Do you think you can say any damned thing you want without repercussions?

Life is full of repercussions. Very few of them emanate from courtrooms.

Pablo on January 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM

…and this navy seal who just recently got on my radar is amazing..everyone buy his book asap

sadsushi on January 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Thanks sadsushi !!! just bought his book !!!

Thanks Chris Kyle for your BRAVERY on and off the battlefield !!

ventura should be ASHAMED !!

I am a female, 62 years old, 5 ft. tall and I would have decked him too !! in a ‘michigan minute’ !!! take THAT all you wussies on this thread !!!

kathy k.

kennedyk49 on January 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

The First Amendment protects the citizen from the abridgement of free speech by the government. Unless I read the article wrong the Chief did not abridge Ventura’s freedom to speak he only abridged Ventura’s freedom to remain standing after he exercised hes free speach right. Seems reasonable to me.

pcola71 on January 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM

The first amendment places a prohibition on the actions of government. The constitution does not grant rights. The constitution only prevents the government from violating our rights.

Nothing in the first amendment applies to this incident. Dante you have no idea what you are talking about. Go away.

jhffmn on January 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Based on previous comments, I’m betting this is sarcasm or cut and paste fodder for another site.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

You ever been with a woman?

Pablo on January 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Thats a rhetorical question, isnt it?

Valkyriepundit on January 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

a5minmajor on January 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Thank you for your service, Sir.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Amen.

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Man, the new trolls are the strangest crew yet.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM

pcola71 on January 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Right, I’m the one saying saying people have the right to their opinions without being punched, while others are defending someone for punching another person without cause. I’m the one defending rights, others are defending chaos, and I’m the one who’s coarse.

Good one.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

a5minmajor on January 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Now that you mention it, I believe a small white feather was found where Jesse fell.

M240H on January 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

First: The SEAL did not restrict Ventura’s speech.

Second: Ventura isn’t innocent.

Third: What Ventura did was the mark of a true coward. He chose to behave in such a manner as to suggest he was entitled to bring emotional harm to those around him because sycophantic nozzles such as yourself would defend him in the media and probably the court of law.

He chose poorly.

oldfiveanddimer on January 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

That there is one of our newly minted, hand wringing, simpering leftard trolls.

BigWyo on January 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I’m astonished at your answer.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Don’t think that just because I support RP that I have the same thought patterns of Dante Dumb-bass. I know very well that ‘meatspace’ has completely different rules regarding speech and conduct than the Internet, and I almost learned it the hard way once or twice.

If I were to repeat Mr.Ventura’s actions online, at worst I’d probably get flamed and banned.

If I copied them offline, especially in the wrong place or crowd, I could wind up picking my teeth up off the floor.

And in earlier times, a big fat mouth could mean you wound up meeting someone at dawn for pistols at twenty paces.

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Good one.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

You’re not coarse..yer a T#*t

BigWyo on January 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM

He chose poorly.

oldfiveanddimer on January 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Read that in the voice of the knight in Indiana Jones…;)

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I’m pretty sure that particular bar did not require anyone to check their balls at the door when they entered.

Jessie Ventura knew exactly where he was, what the atmosphere was, and what the consequences would probably be if he said certain things. He said them anyway. Ventura probably believed, in error, that who he was would protect him from said consequences. That was an incorrect belief.

The real question for me is this: exactly how long would someone like Dante or Lord stand there and let someone like Jessie Ventura, or any lout, say the vilest and most degrading things about their wife or their children before they would react, physically, to stop it. An hour, a day, a week? My belief is that either one of them would walk away, and let the lout continue to what ever audience in the bar was interested in listening.

Obviously neither believes there is anything worth defending if it might require a physical response. Thank God there are men and women in this country who don’t go to places where they have to check their balls at the door. That’s why the Dantes and the Lords in this country can afford to be so high minded.

Yoop on January 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM

You missed the part where I said this isn’t a First Amendment nor a free speech issue. And your assumptions are ridiculous. You’re not much of a mindreader, either.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Hi ya, Baldi ;)

AH_C on January 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

There’s no /sarc tag and you won’t find that posted anywhere else, unless by sheer random chance someone else put up the exact same thing.

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM

M240H on January 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

An angel placed in there. Sent special delivery. ;-)

Yoop on January 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM

jhffmn on January 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Yes, I said that pages ago when someone brought up the Constitution.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Whoa!!! Cripple Fight!!

BigWyo on January 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM

It takes people a little time to adjust to a Ron Paul supporter making sense. :-)

sharrukin on January 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Jesse was a SEAL
He knows how to play with big boys.
He deserved what he got.

chrishaynesusa on January 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM

a5minmajor

hawkdriver

baldilocks

To you three – and the rest on the board who have sacrificed your constitutional rights (yes we did when we joined) to protect the rights of those at home – Bravo – and thank you. It’s damn good to have you home.

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

The Best Marine is a SubMarine (duckin and runnin).

oldfiveanddimer on January 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I guess I just got the impression you were pretty anti-military when you called me a chicken-hawk.

Okay. Hand bump on this one then.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Yoop on January 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I think he would explain to his girlfriend why the lout must be allowed to call her a c*** and a sl**. After that she would probably punch them both.

Valkyriepundit on January 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Whoa!!! Cripple Fight!!

BigWyo on January 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Lame.

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM

oldfiveanddimer on January 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Thanks, and you made me laugh.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I salute you Mr. Kyle!
Jesse Ventura is an ass, a liar, and was blatantly disrespecting
grieving soldiers and families.
Wish I could have been there to see it!

Mark7788 on January 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM

kathy k.

kennedyk49 on January 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

This time of year, in this part of Michigan, it’s to darn cold to wait a whole minute. Take about three seconds to think about it, and at your height, aim about 7 inches below the belt buckle.

Yoop on January 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Good one.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Define “without cause”, because it’s plain to any sane person that Jesse said what he said with malice and intent to cause pain, hence he was the cause for flattening.

Defending what rights? You don’t even know the difference between rights and rule of law. Jesse, nor you have a right to not be punched, but in most places, the rule of law protects you from your big fat mouth. Go read

AH_C on January 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM

and try to wrap your head around the difference.

AH_C on January 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Good one.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Interesting thing about misconceptions regarding free speech: on my blog, I’ve had many whine about “free speech” after being banned, after having their comments creatively edited or even after someone disagrees with them in a rude or not-so-rude manner. “Free Speech” without governmental consequences has morphed into “Free Speech” without any consequences. Guess what? That’s not what the Constitution guarantees.

In this country, people have the right to their opinion without censure or penalty from the government. Censure or penalty from another source is fair game, however. Certainly, people like Mr. Kyle may pay for his response to Mr. Ventura’s free speech, but I’m betting that’s a price that he is willing to pay.

And were I on the jury: case dismissed.

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Yes, I said that pages ago when someone brought up the Constitution.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Then you should have aimed your dissertations at lord and not at those that defended the Seal. Instead, you yourself have conflated the Constitution with the “right” to insult w/o consequence.

Actually, you’re just dazed and confused. Period.

AH_C on January 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yoop on January 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I believe she is referencing De-troit time, as in about how long it takes to set down the malt.

M240H on January 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Lame.

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Well yer right of course….

BigWyo on January 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM

The idea that there are repercussions for our actions is what keeps most people from giving in to our base instincts. It is what seperates us from the animals. I believe that you have a right to express your opinion without fear of supression by the government. I also believe that if you express yourself in a crass and disrespectful manner to another free citizen then you should be prepared to accept the consequences. In simple terms don’t slap the bull if you are not willing to face the horns. The good governer would likely have not gotten popped in the chops had he expressed his opinion and let it go when he was asked the first time.

pcola71 on January 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Okay. Hand bump on this one then.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM

So I don’t threadjack, here’s a very short summary of my position:

I am sick of people claiming that we must occupy Iraq/Afghanistan/etc. at all costs, monetarily and otherwise, and that not doing so will instantly result in Islamopocalypse. I’m weary beyond words of the talking point that we ‘must’ babysit half the world while our budget is trillions in the red.

I’ve had it up to here with being called everything you can imagine, from ‘terrorist supporter’ to ‘Code Pinker’ for opposing the above.

And sometimes I take my frustration on the subject out on the wrong people.

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Well yer right of course….

BigWyo on January 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM

*grins* It was a joke. Cripple? Lame? Get it?

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Good one.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Here’s your problem; -No one- has the right to express their opinion without being punched. You have the right to express your opinion without being locked up by the feds; but if your baiting private citizens, don’t cry about reprisal. (A law is not a shield, it acts as a disincentive, and allows for punishment of an undesirable behavior.)This is why the left loves Government, it fails to understand that the Government doesn’t protect you from the real world…no such protection exists. You should posess good judgement and self restraint if you want to be reasonably safe, not trust in a government to come swooping in and protect you from a well-deserved ass-kicking.
Also, to assert that the punch was unprovoked is ridiculous on it’s face…stop it.

a5minmajor on January 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Man, the new trolls are the strangest crew yet.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Have enough open registrations, sooner or later you get to see what the bottom of the barrel looks like.

Yoop on January 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Hi ya, Baldi ;)

AH_C on January 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Hi, yourself! :)

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Thanks, and you made me laugh.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Good : )

BTW – SeaHawk or BlackHawk ?

oldfiveanddimer on January 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Guess what? I never said it did. In fact, I said this is not a Constitutional or free speech issue, but it is an issue of rights. No one has the right to use force against someone else because they don’t like an opinion.

Do people not read?

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM

*grins* It was a joke. Cripple? Lame? Get it?

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I was going to go with I see what you did there….

BigWyo on January 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Yes, I said that pages ago when someone brought up the Constitution.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Stipulated.

So what’s the problem?

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM

M240H

LaRepublican on January 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Define “without cause”

AH_C on January 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

An act not in self-defense.Without responding to a physical attack or threat of attack.

Kyle was not attacked by Ventura nor was he threatened with attack; it was not an act of self-defense.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

The Best Marine is a SubMarine (duckin and runnin).

oldfiveanddimer on January 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Squid! (My best friend are one.)

Back atcha!

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Whoa!!! Cripple Fight!!

BigWyo on January 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Lame.

MelonCollie on January 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I feel guilty for laughing.

baldilocks on January 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Self-defense is only one of the reasons to use violence.

sharrukin on January 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Jesse “The Douche” Ventura got off easy. He deserved far worse.

G M on January 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

But he did punch him and Ventura, far from being innocent, didnt go on anymore being insulting. Reality for the win.

Sultanofsham on January 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

a5minmajor on January 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Here’s your problem: this isn’t about the law; this is about rights. Yes, everyone has the right to their life and to their person and the right to be secure in their person. This means NO ONE has the right to initiate force against someone else that is not in self-defense. So yes, this means we all have the right to express our opinion without being punched.

Dante on January 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM

M240H – yep… ;)

kathy k.

kennedyk49 on January 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Yoop on January 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Gotcha !!! 7 inches below the belt buckle – works for me !!!

I am a little south of you – W.Branch area – Had 36 degrees today – went out to burn the papers & feed the birds & deer in my ever so elegant sweatshirt & sweatpants – did wear my boots tho… don’t even have enough snow for snowmobiling…. Been in Michigan 62 years – don’t need no dam* coat. ;)

Kathy k