Shock report: Olbermann not getting along with new network

posted at 6:24 pm on January 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

Follow the timeline here. On December 29, the Times noted that he wasn’t scheduled to anchor Current’s coverage of Iowa or New Hampshire and would therefore be “sitting out the biggest political nights of the season.” Not true, countered Olby:

On Thursday afternoon Mr. Olbermann suggested that Current’s published plans might not be accurate. When a reporter asked him via email why he was not participating in the Iowa caucus coverage, he answered, “That’s not my understanding. We’ve already prepared a ‘Best Of Countdown’ for Monday, and are planning a live Countdown on Tuesday.”

That’s the plan that Mr. Olbermann told his viewers about on Dec. 22, his last live program of the year. “We’ll be bringing you Best of ‘Countdown’ each night from tomorrow through Monday, Jan. 2, and then back — live, live, live — on Tuesday, Jan. 3,” he said. He added, “Congratulations on getting through another year of this crap. Good night and good luck.”

Cut to five days later, just hours before the caucus results started rolling in. A fan tweeted him to ask whether he’d be anchoring the coverage after all, to which he replied, “headed into the office now.” The Times was wrong! But … no, actually, they weren’t. Another terse tweet followed a few hours later: “So as not to mislead: I am informed Countdown will not be on tonight, I must defer on all questions to @JoelHyatt @AlGore and @Current.” So the Times was right. Or was it? According to a Current spokesperson later in the evening, “We asked Keith to be the sole anchor and exec producer of our primary and caucus coverage beginning tonight… Unfortunately, he declined to anchor or participate.”

Why would a guy billed as the network’s “Chief News Officer” decline to cover the first big result of the presidential campaign? Over to you, Hollywood Reporter:

“I was not given a legitimate opportunity to host under acceptable conditions,” Olbermann said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday. “They know it and we know it. Telling half the story is wrong.”…

Apparently [Current TV President David] Bohrman, upon learning that Olbermann had assembled his staff for a show that would be pre-empted sent a memo to Countdown staffers to clear up the “misunderstanding.”…

Representatives for Olbermann did not immediately elaborate on exactly what “acceptable conditions” would entail. But it’s no secret that Olbermann’s show has had its share of technical snafus. And this is a source of frustration, say sources.

In early December the studio lights went out while Olbermann was on the air, prompting him to return the following evening with a candle.

Follow the link and scroll down to read Bohrman’s memo to the “Countdown” staff. Key phrases: “As we assumed Keith had communicated to you” and “We tried several times to have Keith participate in our coverage.” How can it be that the staff thought they were doing a show last night when the entire world, thanks to that NYT story, believed days earlier that they weren’t? Surely management would have stepped in to clear things up between last Thursday and Tuesday; did a certain someone “forget” to pass along their instructions to the “Countdown” team? And who leaked Bohrman’s memo to the Hollywood Reporter? Was it one of the staffers, annoyed at the confusion and/or brinksmanship between Olby and management, or was it management itself as a way to counter Olby’s fingerpointing? Hard to believe Current would have let the staff operate under the impression that they were going to do a caucus show up until the very last minute, only to pull the plug. Maybe “someone” decided to call everyone in despite management’s orders, start putting together a show the way he wanted to do it, and then dare the brass at Current to tell him he couldn’t go on the air with it. Or maybe this is yet another case of tyrannical cable-news execs trying to tell a genius how to practice his craft and then besmirching him when he insisted on doing it his way. It happened at Fox and MSNBC, right?

Exit question: If/when this parting of the ways happens, would CNN dare take a chance? Gotta do something drastic to get those primetime ratings flowing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Buuusssshhhhhhhed….

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM

who cares, ignoring the fool will make him self destruct that much quicker.

rob verdi on January 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Hilarious!

squint on January 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM

There is always “the Ocho” if he would like to return to ESPN….oh wait…

reppac122 on January 4, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Olbermann not getting along with ________________.

portlandon on January 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Unstable psychopath is an unstable psychopath????

therightwinger on January 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I didn’t know he was even relevant anymoreever.

Gatekeeper on January 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Who?

Trafalgar on January 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Talk about Hot Gas.

John the Libertarian on January 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Who’s Keith Olbermann?

tbrickert on January 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Trying to think up something snarky to write; just seems like wasted energy on this d-bag.

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I was not given a legitimate opportunity to host under acceptable conditions,

The tubby water temp and amount of bubble bath was simply not up to par with his contract.///

ted c on January 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM

What mental disorder does this guy have? There’s obviously something seriously wrong with him, but I can’t put my finger on what disease it is exactly.

therightwinger on January 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM

did someone tell Michelangelo how to paint the Sistine Chapel? Da Vinci the Mona Lisa? well…..DID THEY?!?//

ted c on January 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Even if Olbermann owned his own network he wouldn’t get along with management.

HidetheDecline on January 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM

CNN? Olby’s constant rantings make him a perfect fit for The View.

Kingfisher on January 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Reading this, I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed not hearing about him. Bliss interrupted. Oh, well.

Pablo Snooze on January 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM

It’s like Pearl Harbor all over again.

pedestrian on January 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM

If Olbermann loses this gig, his next one will be standing on a random street corner, disheveled, smelling of urine/cheap wine and screaming at the top of his lungs at the stop light.

Kevin71 on January 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Heh.

I enjoy watching the karma train roll in. It sometimes takes a very long time, but when it does it’s usually worth the wait and never disappoints.

kim roy on January 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM

therightwinger on January 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Liberalism.

squint on January 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM

kim roy on January 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I sense it’ll make a stop in November…..

ted c on January 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Where does one gets banished to, after Current? Live Tonight From His Bathroom?

my2centshere on January 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Dozens of people must be so disappointed.

NeoKong on January 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Olbermann’s countdown to insignificance is complete.

Desert Gardens on January 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Sir!

carbon_footprint on January 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Olbermann needes to occupy a padded room.

Roymunson on January 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Olbermann is such a washed up clown — bwahahahahahaha

AND

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Conservchik on January 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM

A Keif Overbite thread?
Totally cool!
///

annoyinglittletwerp on January 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM

There’s a bombshell.

Philly on January 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Olby’s constant rantings make him a perfect fit for The View.

Kingfisher on January 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Well, he’s on the rag more often than Bory Beharp.

Slainte on January 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM

“This is the finger that I write with.”

carbon_footprint on January 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Keefums doesn’t play well with others. And he just learned that his new bosses aren’t going to take any crap from him.

Look for a ‘sudden illness’.

GarandFan on January 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM

ted c on January 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Don’t forget the daily burping after his din-din.

Kingfisher on January 4, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Ubërdouche strikes again!

Anyone who hires this cretin deserves everything they get. And I mean the whole sackful, lit on fire and tossed up on the porch.

novaculus on January 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Keith Olbermann: The Charlie Sheen of the news biz.

predator on January 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I have never seen one of his shows.

karenhasfreedom on January 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM

How much talent does it take to be an Ahole and get paid for it?

they lie on January 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I’ll bet Al Gore got at least 2 sternly worded tweets about this act of infamy.

CorporatePiggy on January 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Keith Olbermann: The Charlie Sheen of the news biz.

predator on January 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Don’t insult Charlie like that.

tbrickert on January 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM

maybe its time for him to spend “more time with his fam….”…..er, wait

ted c on January 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM

therightwinger on January 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM

douchephrenia. Very sad and completely untreatable.

katy the mean old lady on January 4, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Exit question: If/when this parting of the ways happens, would CNN LOGO dare take a chance? Gotta do something drastic to get those primetime ratings flowing.

There.

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Who’s Keith Olbermann?

tbrickert on January 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM

The World’s Worst Person.

listens2glenn on January 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Olbe. I remember him. He was that gasbag on the Constipated News Network.

Long haired country boy on January 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM

From the article:

Countdown is the highest-rated show on Current by far. On Dec. 15, the program averaged 52,000 viewers among news’ target demographic of viewers ages 25-54

A nationally broadcast program with 52 thousand viewers? I’m not an expert on these things, but I believe that the highest rated local news programs here in Atlanta (the nation’s 7th largest market) exceed those numbers rather handily.

radjah shelduck on January 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Olbermann’s a prima donna, apparently soon to be without a stage.

disa on January 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Misssster Allahpundit! Have you no shame, Sir!

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Who’s Keith Olbermann?

tbrickert on January 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Some species of jackass.

squint on January 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Is it just me, or is this guy really as tedious as he seems? Is this the best we can do? Oh, wait. Never mind.

Gordy on January 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM

More enjoyable than Sheen’s self-destruction.

itsnotaboutme on January 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I have never seen one of his shows.

karenhasfreedom on January 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM

5 minutes for me. It was more than enough. And that was his sports show!

Flora Duh on January 4, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Since when did that ever stop him?

Ditkaca on January 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Oh my, make mine an ice cold Schadenfreude! :-)

My guess is that “acceptable conditions” included a large piece of duct tape across Olberstooge’s piehole

DaMav on January 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM

So funny.

Olberdouche’s jackassery is always good for a laugh.

Captain Kirock on January 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I cannot imagine any acceptable conditions where you should host a show olby. Maybe be a guest on Bill Maher or madcow’s farce.

jake49 on January 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM

:o)

tinkerthinker on January 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Olbermann not getting along with new network

insomniacs hardest hit.

BacaDog on January 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM

therightwinger on January 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Seems to be in a perpetual manic phase of Bipolar Disorder:

Mania (Manic Episode)

Periods of highs are called mania. Signs and symptoms of mania include:

Increased energy, activity, and restlessness
Excessively high, overly good, euphoric mood
Extreme irritability
Racing thoughts and talking very fast, jumping from one idea to another
Distractibility, inability to concentrate
Little need for sleep
Unrealistic beliefs in one’s abilities and powers
Poor judgment
Spending sprees
A lasting period of behavior that is different from usual
Increased sexual drive
Abuse of drugs , particularly cocaine , alcohol , and sleeping medications
Provocative, intrusive, or aggressive behavior
Denial that anything is wrong

OTOH, he’s probably just an a-hole.

peski on January 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Dear Keith Olbermann:

Mr. Olbermann, I am taking this opportunity to sincerely thank you for your service to this great nation. It is a true rarity in these days to get one of the many uberliberals that are hell bent on destroying this nation to speak out freely. Many is the time my jaw has hit the ground, in private, only to feel the fool when I asked for an explanation (in a more public place, for extra sources) only to have said uberlib types don a facade of centrism.

For years, my children thought I was psychizo and I became despondent as my peers and family shunned me, putting me with the children (the really young ones) at the turkey day table.

No More!!! You arrived and set the record straight. And I basked in self righteousness. “You see!!” I said. They really DO believe in an american empire!! They really DON’T understand the concept of a power vacuum (and how it always gets filled). They hate ALL industry and Mining and Energy supply and…… Sorry. My ebullience floweth over.

In closing, Thank you. You have made my family complete again. I am now sitting with the adults.

WryTrvllr on January 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Good night and good luck!

d1carter on January 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Politics is like High School and Keith Olbermann is always getting stuffed into lockers.

carbon_footprint on January 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I’d say he’s suffering from an STD but that would require him to…well, you know.

jjshaka on January 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I wonder how his girlfriend, Jeanine GarAWFUL-O feels?

carbon_footprint on January 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Countdown to Oblivion

KyWriter on January 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM

If/when this parting of the ways happens, would CNN dare take a chance?

I can’t imagine why.

Olby’s gonna have to go “down market”.

Expect him to be doing “Afternoon Weather” on a local station in Racoon Ridge, Nebraska….until he p!sses off Elmer (the janitor).

Tim_CA on January 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM

for the first time in my adult life, i am really proud of Currents management

t8stlikchkn on January 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM

He could storm out of the building and be replaced by Ben Affleck in his flawless Olby impersonation and no one would be any the wiser.

Captain Scarlet on January 4, 2012 at 7:28 PM

keith just released a statement: “I’ve decided to return to my bedroom, assess the results of tonight’s caucus braidcast, determine whether there is a path forward for myself in this network”

t8stlikchkn on January 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Why do I have this horrific feeling his next stop is GBTV?

contrarytopopularbelief on January 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM

What could possibly constitute the Best of Countdown? Dead air with a test pattern? ROFLMAO!

Naturally Curly on January 4, 2012 at 7:32 PM

peski on January 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I’m going with “a-hole”.

Tim_CA on January 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Is there anything more fun than ridiculing Keith Olbermann?

Well, of course there is.

But only two or three.

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM

…and now, more people know about this ‘story’ than actually watch Current TV.

Dave in San Diego on January 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Olbe. I remember him. He was that gasbag on the Constipated News Network.

Long haired country boy on January 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM

It was MSNBC, actually. And either way, you haven’t really narrowed it down much with this description.

RINO in Name Only on January 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I wonder how his girlfriend, Jeanine GarAWFUL-O feels?

carbon_footprint on January 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Probably about the same as his boyfriend, Rachel Maddow.

cicerone on January 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Wait… Isn’t he that sports guy?

The_Brewer on January 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Please, don’t let him go to SPEED!

OldEnglish on January 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Actually, instead of CNN, I could see some genius at Time-Warner’s sister TV outlet, HBO, sign Keith for some sort of pseudo news show to pair with Bill Maher’s “Real Time” on Fridays and it’s multitude of reruns over the next week. Because people paying $10 a month for a cable channel, in the minds of the more liberal celebrity-oriented HBO execs, are clamoring to have their movie schedule pre-emptied by Keith Olbermann.

jon1979 on January 4, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Splish, splash
I was taking a bath
Long about Tuesday nite
Rub-a-dub
Just relaxin’ in the tub
Thinking everything was alright

I stepped out the tub
put my feet on the floor
wrapped the towel around me
and a’opened up the door
well uh, splish, splash
I jumped back in the bath
Cause how was I to know
there was a primary going on?

Anyone want to add/or change to it?

di butler on January 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Wouldn’t it be a delicious justice if Goebbelsman becomes unemployable?

dukecitygirl on January 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM

“They know it and we know it. Telling half the story is wrong.”…

Cry me a river, Hack.

stiney on January 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM

We used to own a Star Wars video game where you could send the characters on different missions. One of the characters was the Emperor, and every time he failed a mission, he’d yell at you. He’d say “You have not provided me with the correct information, and so I cannot complete this mission!”

We quickly learned not to send the Emperor out on missions. Sounds like his- I mean, Keith’s- new bosses have learned the same thing.

LunaLovegood on January 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I don’t understand the problem, why does he need a team of workers, couldn’t Olby just do a simple conference call with his hundred viewers?

RJL on January 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Let’s see….

Keith Olbermann, a buffoon with an overinflated ego, tries to be the top dog on a channel owned by Al Gore, who is a bigger buffoon with an even bigger overinflated ego.

Why is anybody surprised that the s**t would eventually hit the fan? I’m surprised it took this long.

You have to admit, it would have been fun to watch the meltdown at the company’s headquarters.

Kingfisher on January 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM

RJL on January 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Does this include the voices in Olby’s head and his invisible friends?

Kingfisher on January 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Shock report: Olbermann not getting along with new network

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

rukiddingme on January 4, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Current execs are now thinking, “man, this guy really is a D bag.”

esnap on January 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Aint it Ironic Dept: The number of eyeballs reading this thread is far larger than the number of eyeballs who watch his show.

Always Right on January 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Well, Glenn Beck has his own network if Olbie is willing to take a chance.

mizflame98 on January 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM

In other news; Water is still wet.

Sven Pook on January 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

Khun Joe on January 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM

There.

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Olby’s not getting in the way of AbFab reruns; I’m very sorry.

bmmg39 on January 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM

… I NEVER have or would watch this douchbag… my knowledge of him comes from clips from sites like this… but such clips always reveal a remarkable lunatic.

Y’know what I’d REALLY like to see? And I mean this seriously. A show of “Olby’s all-star douchbags”, with him, Alan Colmes, Joy Behar, Paul Krugman, Al Sharpton, and a few others of their ilk.

Just imagine the fun!

GuitarMark on January 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Shock report: Olbermann not getting along with new network

Heh. Speaking of Hot Gas….

BlaxPac on January 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Wow, I didn’t even know he was still on tv. Current isn’t even offered by either of my cable providers. Is it real or filmed in Olbermann’s mom’s basement? This guy just keeps making stellar career moves.

Ellis on January 4, 2012 at 10:10 PM

He could always go to BBC America. They could bump Dr. Who. (he says while ducking and running from the room)

Boogeyman on January 4, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Keefe could go on public access TV and have the same viewership.

44Magnum on January 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Olbydiva cannot hold a job. He’s one messed up dude.

FireBlogger on January 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM