Perry tweets, “Here we come South Carolina!”

posted at 11:45 am on January 4, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

When a primary candidate suffers a substantial defeat and states that he will “reassess” his campaign while suspending his travel to the next state in the campaign, it generally means that the candidate has decided to withdraw.  That’s what Rick Perry did last night in the aftermath of his expensive fifth-place finish far out of the running in Iowa:

Curiously, that reassessment seems to have taken place without a return to Texas. His official Twitter account sent out this message at 11:10 am ET today, with a picture of a jogging Perry attached:

And the next leg of the marathon is the Palmetto State…Here we come South Carolina!!!

Conservatives who have backed Perry will be encouraged by this development, but it prompts a few questions. What happened between last night and this morning to close out the reassessment period? And why would Perry have announced his intention to “return to Texas,” rather than proceed immediately to South Carolina, to “reassess” the campaign in the middle of a gracious concession speech, which he had to have known would be taken as a strong hint of withdrawal? It sounds as though the Perry campaign is still having problems with messaging and competency, and this time it can’t be blamed on Perry’s old campaign team. This kind of vacillation is not going to bolster confidence in Perry in the next two weeks.

Perry has the best resume in the race for conservatives, with a solid record of accomplishment in Texas for more than a decade. The campaign itself and Perry as a national candidate have proven to be less than effective on the national stage, however. If Perry does decide to stay in the race, which this tweet seems to indicate, it will keep those conservatives divided for the next couple of weeks, as Perry seems to have little hope of consolidating them in South Carolina. As I mentioned earlier, his polling in the state in December averages out to 5.7% in RCP’s calculations, behind even Bachmann, who just withdrew today. If Perry picked up all of Bachmann’s support, he would still be well behind Romney (21%) and Newt Gingrich, whose 37% average will almost surely have declined in the three weeks since the last poll, and which was dropping through December anyway.

Perry still has lots of cash and a significant organization. Perhaps he can get another chance in South Carolina, but I’d call that a long shot at this point — and the longer he stays in the race, the better it is for Mitt Romney.

Update: I added the time stamp information to clarify that this came out this morning.  The picture makes the point, if you follow the link.  In the headline thread, some people are claiming that this is a strategic head-fake to get Bachmann to withdraw, but in what universe was Bachmann a threat to any of the rest of the candidates, including Perry?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

From Iowa:

Santorum gets 6 delegates
Romney gets 6 delegates
Paul gets 4 delegates
Gingrich gets 1 delegate
Perry gets 1 delegate

So Perry’s political calculations should look like so…

Santorum will have a hard time out of Iowa, but he is now a contender. Still, his message was tailored to Iowa. Will it resonate elsewhere? Hard to say now, so no reason to drop out yet.

Romney will probably always be Mr. 25% until he gets to the Southern states, where he’ll likely fade to Mr. 10% (if there is still a field left by then). Just hitting stride, no reason to drop out now. At least fight on until natural constituencies (Southern states) tell you no.

Because Iowa is an open caucus state it may be the high water mark for Paul, his best chance of grabbing a win. The same dynamics simply aren’t in play on the road ahead. 3 delegates behind him, no reason to drop out on Paul’s account.

Gingrich is fading pretty fast and now he’s getting ready to open up a can of whoopa$$ on Romney. Might as well stay in and catch some of those who will look for a Conservative alternative to Romney. And Gingrich won’t look good going all dark arts.

South Carolina here we come!

JonPrichard on January 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Fabozz on January 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Perry won’t take a vp slot at least not Mitt’s. Texans would be very disappointed in Perry if he did.

cartooner on January 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I’m not a big Romney supporter but Romney was governing the Democrat craphole of Massachusetts and Obama is governing the US which is divided more evenly between Dems and Repubs.

mrsmwp on January 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Obama had a filibuster proof senate and a huge majority in the House. He could have done anything he wanted and it would have been rubber stamped by congress.

Fact is he didn’t raise income taxes, either personal or corporate. He didn’t implement Cap N Trade. He didn’t ban any types of guns.

Romney also had Dems in the MA house and senate. He signed bill to raise taxes, ban assault weapons and a Cap N Trade bill.

He governed to the left of Obama. Period.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I will gladly go into that voting booth and pull the lever for OBAMA!
HondaV65 on January 4, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Have you considered moving to Daily Kos as your new home?

hanzblinx on January 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

although if Mexico moves up its primary, Perry could shoot into the lead

smitty41 on January 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

At the end of the day, all of them will sell their souls to the highest bidder.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Yep, but Rick Perry has a job – an awesome job as Governor of Texas.

Santorum doesn’t. He is in desperate need of one.

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

My ‘default’ is…Jon Huntsmann.
I hate myself. LoL
Go Perry!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I think if the viable “strong” conservative candidate drops out, the rest of them don’t stand much of a chance, including Huntsman unfortunately. It’s an ugly strategy dividing the conservative base to simply survive the primary, and be the last man standing. It’s showing a willingness to do anything to win – treating the U.S. Presidency like some kind of prize, damn the will of the people. We already have that candidate in the White House. So my default at this period in the process is MR Failure To Launch :) That Gary Johnson, he knew what he was doing when he accepted the Libertarian ticket…he could see where the sweet spot was GRIN.

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I can’t vote for a progressive of any brand, but Gary Johnson (libertarian) is now commanding my default choice LOL!

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Me too.

cartooner on January 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM

cartooner on January 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Susanboo on January 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Thanks, that was helpful.

So what you’re saying is, you support Perry but can’t provide even one example of why.

I’m not disparaging the guy, I’m asking because he’s obviously not done well to date, and his debate performances have been less than stellar. Certainly his immigration policy is controversial, though I actually understand why he has that policy.

I’m looking for someone to support and haven’t found him yet. I guess the few Perry supporters that decided to respond, do so out of state pride and nothing much else. I’m not interested in Texas politics inasmuch as I don’t live in Texas. I am interested in how Perry would govern from the White House, however; and I’d like to see a better presentation than the one he’s put forth thus far.

That’s why I asked. Sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities.

BKeyser on January 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM

*shrug* Perry had me until he made those ill-fated remarks for illegal immigrants.
sage0925 on January 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Please realize that even though he made the heartless remark, Perry denied illegals driver’s licenses, he has spent $450M of Texas’ money on border security and he passed Voter ID which greatly affects illegals ability to vote. He also tried, twice, to get a Sanctuary City ban.

All this is a state that is almost 40& HISPANIC.

Give him another chance.

mrsmwp on January 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Paul is, Perry isn’t.

cartooner on January 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

No, Romney and Paul are now the ones taking the toughest stands against illegal immigration in the race, but while Romney talks a good game, Ron Paul would probably actually station troops on the border and turn off the magnets like he’s said.

FloatingRock on January 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

If i was being tortured by Al Queda to vote for romneycare, i wouldn’t!!!! they could pull out my fingernails, stick needles in my eye or cut off my testicales and I still wouldn’t vote for that empty liberal rino suit.

By the way, Romney the mormon believes when he dies he’ll have seven planets. Since he’s a socialist does he spread the wealth and give us minnions one of his planets!!!

God I hate the republican establishment for giving us this retread hack liberal!!1

Danielvito on January 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Somebody put an extra spoonful of hyperbole in your cornflakes this morning?

Good grief, I thought Republicans were supposed to be the party of sane, rational thinking. Governor Romney has won in the small state of Iowa by 8 points, and people are running around like their hair’s on fire screaming, “the sky is falling, the sky is falling”.

There’s still a ways to go, you might want to get a handle on your emotions or you won’t last past N.H.

Flora Duh on January 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Rush is worth listening to now. In my opinion, Perry would be wise to stay in the race. He may become the last man standing after all.
Gingrich is going to go after Romney; the Dems are going after Santorum now; Bachmann’s out. Will Santorum’s Iowa Caucus win help him in the upcoming States? Clearly Romney’s showing still showed that 75% of Iowans anyway were against him. Will the Southern States rally to Romney?

Rush thinks Perry should stay in also. As a Perry supporter, I do too.

bluefox on January 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM

FloatingRock on January 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Paul would station them at any border where Jooos are likely to come in.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM

FloatingRock on January 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

It’s a shame his common sense is out balanced by his crazy.

Norky on January 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

although if Mexico moves up its primary, Perry could shoot into the lead

smitty41 on January 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Aren’t you clever? What a jerk.

Susanboo on January 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Rush just announced that Perry is staying in. S.C. here we come!!

Best news I’ve heard today!!!!

Keep the faith g.g.:-)

bluefox on January 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Let’s go Perry!! South Carolina has triple the amount of delegates than Iowa has so let’s win SC and become the front runner again!!

jrfromdallas on January 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Flora Duh on January 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Exactly. No candidate can sew up the nomination until late April.

csdeven on January 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Perry is sitting on a sizable war chest, since he’s not planning to run for Governor again, he is well placed to pull a Ron Paul, and cling on until the bitter end no matter how poorly he winds up doing.

All he can do, is damage his legacy, but if he doesn’t care about that, why should we?

Rebar on January 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

That’s why I asked. Sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities.

BKeyser on January 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM

You didn’t offend sensibilities, you just asked for a lot more than anyone would care to type. nearly all of well known Texas Republicans were conservative Democrats at first. Other than that, are you not familiar with Texas’ economic record under Perry? Nearly half of all jobs created in the nation in the last 2 years? Perry’s incredible tort reforms, luring more corporate HQs to Texas (Texas has more Fortune 500 companies than any other state), maintains a “rainy day fund”, cut spending and BTW we have NO income tax. That’s not close to everything, but some of the reasons why Perry is serving his THIRD term.

cartooner on January 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Susanboo on January 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM

a bit touchy this morning

smitty41 on January 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM

BKeyser on January 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Here are a few things:
Texas Government

Texas government is set up so that the Government in general and specifically the leaders are weak. That is why we the people vote for our judges & don’t leave it up to the political aristocracy to appoint judges. Power is spread around.
After the rein of the carpetbaggers the Texas constitution was re-written specifically to avoid the consolidation and corruption of power.

Texas is prosperous because we have less government, much like things used to be in all of the US. Perry is an acceptable leader of the US in that he is more likely to be in favor of less government on the federal level – as opposed to the rest of the viable candidates who have a history of more government.

Does that help?

batterup on January 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM

To perry guys, a bit of advice:
I’m not a Romney guy. Romney is a rino loser. But here’s why Perry is over: he comes across as an idiot, and the GOP is not going to waste a shot at Obama on the guy that keeps screwing up basic info. Kim Jong 2nd instrad of kim jong il times a thousand come the general.

Save your breath and your reasons about “a few sound bites”. The GOP voters are smart enough not to go with a guy that makes them nervous. Didn’t we just do that in 2000 and 2004?

pamplonajack on January 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM

FloatingRock on January 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

No, Paul and Romney are talking a good game in this campaign. Romney’s record says otherwise and Paul is the brand of libertarian that is for virtually open borders. Perry has THE best immigration record of ANY candidate running. Why else would Sheriff Joe Arpiao support him?

cartooner on January 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I don’t get the confusion. He previously stated he was bypassing NH and focusing on SC. Last night he said he was going home to reassess. But he didn’t say he was suspending the campaign to reassess, just that he’s going home. Cognitive dissonance much?

Oh I get it, RP is such a hick, he can’t even chew gum & walk at the same time. This is a case of projection that “going home” = “suspending campaign”.

Now, Michelle, on the other hand, had us believing that she would courageously soldier on and in the morning, reality smacked her in the face.

A friend of mine told me that after NO one stood up to speak for MB, he got up to speak for Romney. His precinct was done voting within a 1/2 hour and he helped count the votes while the caucus went on to vote on resolutions to be planked in the GOP platform.

AH_C on January 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Thanks, that was helpful.

That’s why I asked. Sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities.

BKeyser on January 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I live in Texas, he’s my Governor. We actually have JOBS here, jobs that Perry has helped deliver to our State by making our State “Business friendly”. TORT REFORM. VOTER ID BILL, passed with his help in our State Legislature, (unfortunately the Jack A** President in office is fighting it with all his might). Perry has protected our border to the best of a Governor’s ability, considering that the Feds are totally working against his efforts. Last but not least, CONSERVATIVE CREDENTIALS. There are more, but these are his best accomplishments in my opinion. He has his faults, but they are far outweighed by his accomplishments.

My sensibilities aren’t offended in the least, I just know that my State is doing fairly well as compared to some in this Country, and that my Governor actually has a great record that he is running on. If others want to vote for a less Conservative Candidate that is slick and head of the debate team, go for it, I’ll stick with my tried and true Gov of Texas, Rick Perry!

Susanboo on January 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Santorum must be destroyed. Perry is far more in the mainstream than Santorum.

rubberneck on January 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I think the time for politeness toward the candidacy of Rick Perry is now past, as his remaining in the race at this point does nothing but help Mitt Romney be nominated.

Rick Perry is a dumb cornpone. A yokel who has little sense of Federal policy or politics. The people who continue to support him fanatically at this point are worse than he is.

Reggie1971 on January 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Rush thinks Perry should stay in also. As a Perry supporter, I do too.

bluefox on January 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Yep… ha ha ha ha… I was actually expecting Rush to say so.

You see, a lot happened between yesternight and this morning/afternoon.

When Perry announced he was going to Texas to re-assess his campaign and the media gleefully reported it as “Perry is dropping out…”, it forced many conservatives to consider a field without Perry.

The celebrations at Mittcentral and the general despondence of conservatives confirmed what most of us already know.

If Perry drops out, Romney wins the nomination – period!

Gingrich and Santorum can try putting up a fight but they can’t attract as broad a base as Perry. They also do not have the organizations to compete in the long run.

Mittbots acting all bitter since Perry confirmed he is not dropping out should open all conservatives’ eyes.

Please rally to Perry. The rest cannot beat Romney. Only he can.

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM

JonPrichard on January 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I thought there was 28 delegates for Iowa, not 18

ConservativePartyNow on January 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Santorum must be destroyed. Perry is far more in the mainstream than Santorum.

rubberneck on January 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Um, what are you getting at there?

Norky on January 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Somehow I think Palin is waiting for Perry to straighten up
his act so she can endorse him. Then watch out! If Palin
goes on the campaign trail with Perry and McCain goes on the
campaign trail with Romney, who will attract the most crowds?

I cannot see Palin campaigning with Romney, altho stranger things
have and will happen.

Amjean on January 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

cartooner on January 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM

No kidding, but talking to people here is like talking to a brick wall. They get a meme and they run with it. And run with it. And run with it. Facts be damned.

mrsmwp on January 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Perry supporters aren’t going to Mitt- as Governers they are the Antithesis of each other. No one supports limited government can support Mitt.

batterup on January 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Please rally to Perry. The rest cannot beat Romney. Only he can.

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Actually Romney wants him there to split the S.C. vote. I don’t see Rick Perry beating Romney. Perry isn’t ready. Romney didn’t have to Newtinize him because he pretty much self destructed.

And even if Perry could beat Romney, he has no shot against Obama. And every gaffe and misstatement (seems like he does them every time he opens his mouth) will only reenforce the MSM narrative that tea partiers are stupid and don’t understand anything. And if he is the best the tea partiers have to offer, then that movement has failed.

cd98 on January 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Reggie1971 on January 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM

See, bluefox?

Now here is a supposed ‘conservative’ that doesn’t want Romney to be nominated.

But did you see him lash out yesternight as he is lashing out now? These so-called ‘conservatives’ – actually Mittbots – admit in several threads that they will be okay with Romney.

They were ready to fold to Romney’s candidacy last night and were telling us how he is better than Obama.

However, Perry indicates he is in for the long haul and out comes the F bombs and vitriol that they can’t even muster against Romney.

Reggie1971, Perry is going nowhere so you can go eat your heart out.

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM

mrsmwp on January 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Perry’s record didn’t turn people away, it was his debate skills.
We can’t afford to have a nominee that might freeze, when he’s goes face to face with the guy that’s intent on destroying this country.

Norky on January 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Perry’s record didn’t turn people away, it was his debate skills.

Norky on January 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Actually it was his debate skills and his policy on immigration. And his inability to articulate anything beyond Texas. He delay in presenting economic plans. His forgetting his own tax plan and needing Jinal to remind him of it. His big Texas government solutions like the corridor…

His policies aren’t rock solid. But none of the candidates have rock solid policies. But sure, his stumbling block is that he seems to fumble the football everytime he gets a touch. And while Republicans are forgiving of that, independents are not. And he has to reach independents to beat Obama.

cd98 on January 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

First thing they need to do – get that America’s calling ad on SC TV pronto!

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

cd98 on January 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM

And in your view, which of the conservative candidates can beat Romney?

Santorum? Never mind the fact that he is no fiscal conservative and he cannot repeat Iowa anywhere else.

Gingrich? He is already being painted as an angry and bitter man – a sign that his campaign is in its death throes. He is prepared to bring Romney down with him.

Bachmann? She is out.

Sorry, folks, Perry is back and his path to the nomination just got brighter.

His only barrier was Bachmann, who kept mucking up the field and acting as an attack dog for Romney. Perry’s headfake allowed Romney to okay Bachmann’s departure. I guess he and Bachmann are cursing themselves.

LOL…

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

You might if you are trying to get Bachmann to drop out, and stop siphoning off votes for a viable candidate.

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Who is this “viable candidate” of which you speak?

lawya on January 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

This election is not about the economy and jobs, stupid. It’s about: govt is too big. Perry gets it.

Look at the main home page message on the candidates’ websites. Newt’s message is ‘jobs and growth.’ A miss, amiss. I hear the objection: “but jobs are all important.” Yet it is a ballooning govt that destroys our economy, and, in addition, curtails our freedoms, and threatens our very future.

So, bloated ballooning govt takes precedence over jobs. Newt’s nebulous message (what is it?) must be reformed, just as govt. Strangely, Romney’s main message on his site is better than Newt’s. Mitt says “govt must live within its means.” Bravo!… Except… yes, it only indirectly addresses the problem: govt is too big.

Welcome back Perry!

anotherJoe on January 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

mrsmwp on January 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Perry’s record didn’t turn people away, it was his debate skills.

Norky on January 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I think Perry was drafted to keep Palin out. Therefore, he
wasn’t up to speed, didn’t know the “lay of the land” as far as
presidential politics go. I am not a supporter of his “yet”,
however, am keeping an open mind. My other choice would be
Gingrich. Santorum is TOO socially conservative for me. That
will hurt him in the general. Santorum also doesn’t really have
a record to admire. I am old enough to remember Newt’s Contract
with America and all the work he did to implement it. He has
baggage, true, however, Perry’s croney capitalism antics also
worry me. We will see how South Carolina plays out. They do
not like Romney or Obama.

Amjean on January 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

cartooner on January 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I agree. Gov. Perry is the BEST Conservative to be President. How he has governed for 3 terms in Texas says more than any other Candidate can say. He has the Record and the Experience that is needed and none of the other Candidates can compare to that. Not that the other Candidates don’t have their own strengths, but overall, Perry has it all.

His campaigning in Iowa gave him great exposure and allowed voters and the other States an opportunity to see Gov. Perry as he actually is. If debates were the way we choose a President, then we wouldn’t need Primaries and Elections. We could just “phone” it in:-)

I’m glad to hear he’s staying in the race. He’s been getting better and better.

Go Perry!! I join all Perry supporters, especially the Perry girls, of which I am one, LOL

bluefox on January 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Gut feeling, or do you have on of them crystal ball things, like gypsies use?

Norky on January 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM

sage0925 on January 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Perry apologized for that remark. One thing I like about Perry is he is not afraid to say I was wrong. Romney is never able to admit he is wrong about anything, he just changes position and says.. well I feel differently now……. for example:

Romney is all over the place on illegal immigration…… today he wants to deport everyone four years ago he stated:

“But my view is that those 12 million who’ve come here illegally should be given the opportunity to sign up to stay here”

Rapunzel on January 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

All this is a state that is almost 40& HISPANIC.

Give him another chance.

mrsmwp on January 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Well said. : )

Susanboo on January 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

And in your view, which of the conservative candidates can beat Romney?

Bachmann? She is out.

Sorry, folks, Perry is back and his path to the nomination just got brighter.

LOL…

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

In my view, none of them can. That’s why I’m voting for Romney. In fact, more to the point, the only one with a chance to beat Obama is Romney. And that is why I am supporting him.

I see a small sliver of sunshine for Perry in S.C., but he’s at the bottom of the polls there. And if he can’t win in Iowa, where he was tailer made, and where he relentlessly pandered to the Christians, how can he win in S.C.?

cd98 on January 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

First thing they need to do – get that America’s calling ad on SC TV pronto!

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

YES!! That is an awesome ad, love it!!

I think I’ll email Perry as I did before and sign it, from the Perry girls on Hotair:-)

bluefox on January 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Damm!t Obama and your 2010 financial regulations. I wanted to make some intrade predictions on these races, but the socialist regulations bar US based banks from allowing credit card deposits to Intrade. Now I have to wait for a check to to Ireland.

netster007x on January 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

First thing they need to do – get that America’s calling ad on SC TV pronto!

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Hello GG. *wave, wave* :)

You better believe it! Perry is back. Notice how he managed to turn a dark day for him yesterday into a comeback story for him?

Had he not announced his ‘re-assessment’, which sent the Romney media into orgasms, the headlines today would have been about how he is done – burnt toast. Reporters everywhere will be asking: “When do you drop out?”

Rather he has re-invigorated his supporters and forced conservatives to spend the night thinking of a field without him – that was a horrible thought, trust me.

I also believe he has laid down the ground rules with his staff. Now they are going to do things his way. That means more retail politics like the stops at Iowa over the last two weeks that gave him a respectful finish.

Many pundits are saying he could have finished more strongly at Iowa had he shunned some debates and focused on the retail politics.

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

cartooner on January 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

batterup on January 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Susanboo on January 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Thanks. These actually are helpful.

TORT reform I was not aware of. Good call. I’ve suspected the influx of jobs/businesses was largely California’s loss, and having a business-friendly climate makes a huge difference. I don’t know how much of that was Perry’s doing versus historical positioning, but obviously Perry didn’t hurt those conditions. I live in Maryland, so I know how painful state taxes can be; we’ve even got pretty stiff property taxes when those are usually reserved for states without the income tax, like Pennsylvania.

It’s clear that Texas benefits from its Constitution and strong adherence to the 10th Amendment. Perry certainly advocates that.

I think my lack of enthusiasm has much to do with the fact that until his much-anticipated arrival on the general election scene, I knew nothing about him. Then when he didn’t take off as expected, it was hard to get a grasp on what he’s all about.

Thanks for the follow up.

BKeyser on January 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Kim Jong 2nd instrad of kim jong il times a thousand come the general.

pamplonajack on January 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM

He didn’t say that. It was a misprint. Please don’t do the Demedia’s work for them.

juliesa on January 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

RightMan,

Even more to my point: If Perry can’t win in Iowa where he outspent everyone, spent tons of time campaigning, and where he pandered to the Christians to the point that I started disliking him, then how does he win in S.C., where he is polling at the bottom, much less in the rest of the country?

I can appreciate your devotion to Perry, and by all means, keep it up. But this is not his year. He’s a fine retail politician, but to be president, you have to handle yourself well on the big stage, and he has destroyed the people’s confidence that he has the ability to do that. At least that’s what his poll numbers and the results of Iowa tell us.

cd98 on January 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

bluefox on January 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Santorum has no organization outside of Iowa and no base in the South. Plus, he now gets the Bachmann, Perry, Cain, Gingrich treatment. Just another flash in the pan.

Bachmann voters (both of them) will continue to avoid Romney. 75% of the party can’t stand the guy, and that won’t change. He has earned our distrust and dislike.

So I’m thinking Gingrich or Perry will be the one. Let’s hope.

Or, it might get even weirder with a Huntsman surge, but that seems unlikely. His base is the same as Romney’s, and Romney’s 22-25% are as loyal as they are misguided.

Citizen-003528 on January 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

BKeyser on January 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Perry has by far the best record of executive governance on jobs and the economy of all the candidates. That’s why I back him still, and no one else even comes close for me.

juliesa on January 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I talked to my campaign staff, senior guys, you know, (Joe) Allbaugh, (Ray) Sullivan,” Perry said. “This wasn’t a hard decision. This was one of those where you take a look, you didn’t do as well in Iowa as you wanted to, but this is a quirky place and a quirky process to say the least. We’re going to go into places where they have actual primaries and there are going to be real Republicans voting. I’m excited about getting out with real Republicans and laying out – not that there aren’t real Republicans here in Iowa, but the fact is that it was a pretty loosey-goosey process and you had a lot of people who were there that admitted they were Democrats, voting in the caucuses last night.”

This is from Perry talking about Iowa. Now, this I like. No
political speak – and this is why we should discount Iowa no
matter who wins it.

Amjean on January 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Today is a much better day than I thought it was going to be. Here’s hoping Santorum crashes and burns and Perry is there to pick up the pieces.

SIGH – politics is not for the weak.

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM

cd98 on January 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Let’s wait till after he goes retail politicking there, okay? Perry already has an organization in South Carolina and support from some heavyweights there.

SC is not Iowa. They tend to take their selection process more seriously and do not delight in voting for non-entities with no records.

There is also a huge veteran base there that strongly supports Perry so we shall see.

As a Perry supporter, I am optimistic.

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

When exactly is the SC primary?

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Romney thinks he will be riding a wave after he wins NH, but NH means nothing to the heartlanders. The race is wide open when it hits SC and while I don’t support Perry, I’d be happy to have him over Romney (plastic man).

Norky on January 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Google
2012 primary schedule

Norky on January 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Who is this “viable candidate” of which you speak?

lawya on January 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Right now I see a 3 way race of viable candidates, former Gov Romney, Speaker Gingrich and Gov Perry. Those are the viable candidates for the nomination. Based on campaign dollars, face and name recognition, ground organization, and records to run on. I don’t believe anyone with non executive experience is going to be nominated. Rep Ron Paul himself stated he didn’t see it happening for him. Rep Michelle Bachmann dropped out. Former Senator Rick Santorum, camped out in Iowa for a year, to come in second in Iowa. Huckabee won Iowa too, he didn’t go on to win the nomination he was a former southern governor – Santorum is not southern, protestant evangelical nor does he have executive experience like Huckabee.

Romney is not the conservative candidate, former Governor Jon Huntsman is running to the right of Romney in New Hampshire. I like Huntsman, but he’s only polling 11% in NH behind Romney, Gingrich and Paul.

Who has the means to stay in the primary race, Romney, Perry, Paul and I believe that Gingrich will stay in whether he has the $$$ or not. Viability.

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Two thoughts:

1) Perry sabotaged his chances in the first few debates. Nothing will change that early impression. Perry will spend many more millions trying, to no avail.

2) With Santorum, Paul, Gingrich and Perry all splitting the non-Romney vote, Romney does even better in SC than if Perry had dropped out.

writeblock on January 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

didnt Reagan lose Iowa twice? McCain as well? Dole in 88, GHB in 88?

Iowa is just another state – just happens to be first

EricPWJohnson on January 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Perry is right to stay in. He is a far more attractive candidate than either Santorum or Gingrich, and even in his weakened, post Iowa state, has more money and a better organization than either of them. He’s going to have to work hard to repair his image, but at least he has a viable record.

Santorum is complete vaporware. His surge came so late that there was no time to go negative on him, and he retained control of his image. The one brutal attack, from Colmes, was so disgusting that even people who were uneasy about his method of grieving turned sympathetic. That’s not going to last. Once the firehoses are turned on him, he’ll be washed away with ease.

I’ve only seen one instance, in a AOSH comment, of an intelligent analysis as to where Santorum’s surge came from. He had to pick up those votes from somewhere. It wasn’t from Romney, his poll and final vote numbers were remarkably consistent. Some of it was from Gingrich, but his poll numbers collapsed weeks ago, and Gingrich actually did better than expected in the caucus, so we can cross him out. The only person who had a surprise collapse in Iowa was Paul; expected to win or place second, he landed a distant third.

I think those Paul voters went to Santorum, once the newletter controversy soured voters and they became more aware of Paul’s isolationism. Not all Paul supporters are Paulbots. They are attracted to Paul’s message of liberty and small government, and when Paul proved a flawed messenger, they moved to the nearest alternative. Santorum, with his muscular foreign policy stance and his purported fiscal conservatism, fit the bill. But once Santorum gets painted as a Socialist Social Con (see the link above), these voters will move on. Perry has a chance to pull them in. He’s still the best not-Romney out there, and if you can read between the lines, James Carville agrees with me.

Mr. Arkadin on January 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Google
2012 primary schedule

Norky on January 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Touche’

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Well said. : )

Susanboo on January 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Thanks! Last night, I felt so deflated. Of course I will vote for the GOP nominee. I’m a straight ticket voter mostly, although I will vote for a libertarian state-level candidate. But I had absolutely no enthusiasm after Perry said he was going to reassess.

Feel so much better today! Hope it lasts!

Perry 2012

mrsmwp on January 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM

bluefox on January 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

He might not know what you’re talking about. You better sign it from the Perry Girls at HotGas!

Perry 2012

mrsmwp on January 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

why is everyone so happy that he’s staying in the race? he was WAY behind romney in iowa, a state with a lot of social conservatives. if he can’t even touch romney in iowa, why do you think he’ll magically make a comeback and beat him later? and also, perry did use to be the anti-romney, at the top of the polls. and he messed up. you all expect him to somehow recover and regain all the popularity he once had, and beat romney? i doubt that.

i think he’s just staying in the race because he’s stubborn or something. i don’t see a high chance of him improving, after how badly he’s messed up.

i’m going for santorum now, he’s the one gaining momentum. perry’s way behind.

Sachiko on January 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

cd98 on January 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Perry made some major flubs in the earlier debates and that hurt him. It also didn’t help that Romney had Bachmann go after him like a crazed chihuahua over Gardasil and the Texas Dream Act.

Time has passed. As the field narrows, voters are having to re-calibrate their choices. So Perry has another chance.

Also, how come Romney maintains 25% support despite attacks on him for his flip-flops? Voters have factored that in his support over time.

Can the same thing happen to Perry? You betcha! More and more people are going to accept Perry and his flaws, which his positive attributes greatly overweigh.

He debates poorly? Yeah, but he has a record like none other.

Rhetoric won’t beat Obama, records will.

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Thanks for the follow up.

BKeyser on January 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Your welcome! Anything us Perry fans can do to garner more support for a true conservative!

Susanboo on January 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

JonPrichard on January 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

That’s a partial (likely proportional) allocation. The state convention (held in June) and Congressional caucuses (held in April), where the 25 delegates that are bound, are a bit different (and as been pointed out, not at all bound by the precinct or even the upcoming county caucuses):

- Each of the 4 Congressional caucuses have control over binding 3 RNC delegates to candidates, for a total of 12. The caucuses have control over whether it’s proportional or winner-take-all.
- The state convention has control over binding 13 RNC delegates to candidates. Again, the convention has control of whether it’s proportional or winner-take-all.
- The 3 party bosses are nominally uncommitted.

Assuming the 13 state delegates are assigned proportionally based on the caucus results, with a floor of 10% to get any, 4 would go to Romney, 3 to Santorum, 3 to Paul, 2 to Gingrich and 1 to Perry. Removing the 10% floor would give Bachmann one of Romney’s delegates.

If the district delegates are assigned proportionally based on the caucus results, Romney, Santorum and Paul would each add 4 to the state delegates as they finished 1-2-3 or 2-1-3 in all 4 districts and close enough together that neither Romney nor Santorum would warrant 2. If the district delegates are winner-take-all, Romney and Santorum would each add 8 to the state delegates as they each carried 2 districts.

Steve Eggleston on January 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

2) With Santorum, Paul, Gingrich, and Perry all splitting the non-Romney vote, Romney does even better in SC than if Perry had dropped out.

writeblock on January 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I think if Perry dropped out that Mitt Romney was the defacto nominee. Romney’s Super PAC is effectively dealing with Gingrich, spending millions on attack ads to drive Newt’s poll numbers down, in each state they compete in, and Santorum is going to fizzle outside of Iowa where he camped out for a year, where Iowa’s unemployment is low around 4% something. South Carolina’s unemployment is like 10% they are not the same kind of voters. Who is the southerner that blocks Romney in South Carolina if Perry dropped out? Ron Paul LOL!

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM

He debates poorly? Yeah, but he has a record like none other.

Rhetoric won’t beat Obama, records will.

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Debate skills are critical. A good record is nice, but can we afford to have someone with brain fart tendencies go face to face with the jug-eared one?

Norky on January 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM

As a Perry supporter, I am optimistic.

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

McCain won SC in 08 because of support from Veterans and he just endorsed Romney. SC is not Texas, so if Perry is going to pull something out of the fire it is going to be a battle.

Bluray on January 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM

i’m going for santorum now, he’s the one gaining momentum. perry’s way behind.

Sachiko on January 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Erm… because Iowa is weird? They chose Romney (a big Govt. liberal RINO), Paul (a libertarian ‘foreign-policy nutjob’), and Santorum (a big Govt. social conservative).

They love their ethanol subsidy and don’t care much about fiscal conservatism.

There are countless conservative states that don’t think like Iowa – including Texas – and they have more yummy delegates.

And so Perry has a chance and can still win the nomination.

You can go support Santorum right until he drops out after undergoing his upcoming anal exam (no pun intended) and his lack of funds and organization stops him short after SC.

Hope you will then consider joining the Perry bandwagon.

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Knowing Rick Perry as my wife and I do from being in the R party here in Texas. Most likely Perry got a new bit of assets in his out of state pockets and will stay in the race to help his RINO buddies in the R party get Romney in as Pres. so they can all feed some more at we tax payer paid for pig trough.

Keep in mind he started out as a $750.00 a month Democrat House member. Now he is in the cash flow big goverment rain drops.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I think 0bama’s mad debate skillz are overrated. The dude needs a TelePrompTer to remember to wipe when he goes to the potty. What got him through the 2008 debates is the same thing that got Kennedy through the 1960 debates with Nixon: I call it Squee.

0bama was cuter than McCain, and he was like, so totally African-American and all that cool stuff y’know *smacks gum* Just like Kennedy was sooooooo much cuter than old Nixon, and it was like, just sooooooo cool to see both 0bama and Kennedy, like, in action, you know. So like, substance and all that booooring stuff in the debate took a backseat to SQUEEEEEE! The chance to see the cute guy in action, like, you know.

Well, now we know. Oh holy crapitola, do we know. More than we wish we ever frickin’ knew. 0bama was cute like a chimpanzee with a switchblade is cute. He’s not so cute now, and this time, substance is going to matter more than style.

Sekhmet on January 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM

How did the Gov. of Texas State House burn down any how and where at what cost does Rick Perry live now?

Big House, no cattle.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

didn’t reagan lose Iowa twice? McCain as well? Dole in 88, GHB in 88?

Iowa is just another state – just happens to be first

EricPWJohnson on January 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM

He did, but he lost by 2% each time. Lost NH in 76 by 1%.

Bluray on January 4, 2012 at 2:16 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Oh please. Conspiracy cranks have no credibility here.

juliesa on January 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM

i’m going for santorum now, he’s the one gaining momentum. perry’s way behind.

Sachiko on January 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Well yeah that’s the way it works remember, the Not Romney candidate rises in the polls, then the media attacks them, and they fall. Everyone has been the flavor of the week, now that Santorum has had his turn. I don’t realistically see Huntsman getting an opportunity.

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM

the ticket to the GOP nomination has been winning the SC primary and nobody who has won there has done so without winning at least 1 of the 2 in IA and NH. Perry would have to catch fire like he did earlier and win SC bucking the historical precedent. Seems unlikely and will probably ensure mittens is the nominee and another 4 yrs with obama in charge.

smitty41 on January 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Big House, no cattle.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I’ll take this one…

The same people who were trying to b0mb the 2008 GOP convention are linked to the arson of the Texas Governor’s Mansion.

This happened in the middle of the night, and fortunately, the Perrys were not there, and as I recall, nobody was hurt. But it’s not for the anarchists’ lack of trying.

So the Perrys now reside in a lakeside mansion. When you consider that some jerkos were trying to burn a house around the Perrys, you think security might have been a concern when selecting another place to live? Also, the Governor’s Mansion is as much an office and a place to entertain guests of Texas as it is the Governor’s residence. Last election, the Democrat made the ridiculous claim that if elected, he would move to a trailer. If he had won, security concerns alone would make him “forget” that promise.

Glad I could answer that one for you, Mister White—or is it Mister Morrow?

Sekhmet on January 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Bluray on January 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I believe Perry is the only candidate in the Republican Race who is a Veteran.

Susanboo on January 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM

A correciton and a further exploration of potential proportional rounding:

- If the Congressional districts are winner-take-all, or if proportionality was limited to the top two vote-getters, Romney and Santorum would each take 6 of the 12 district delegates (I somehow typed 8 earlier).
- If the statewide threshhold to get a delegate is 15% (some states use this as the floor), the 3 that Gingrich and Perry would get would go (1 each) to Romney, Santorum and Paul.
- If the district threshhold to get a delegate is 20% (some states use this as the floor), then 1 of Paul’s delegates (from the 4th Congressional) would go to Santorum (who won the 4th Congressional).

Steve Eggleston on January 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I had hoped Perry wouldn’t give up so easily. He should get a very warm welcome in the Palmetto state. Hell, since I live just across the border from SC, I may even start volunteering for the guy. GO Perry!

reaganbaby79 on January 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM

juliesa

Not a conspiracy, the Gov. State House was left with only one guard on duty. The high tech security was turned off by someone.
Some thugs in a car drive by and throw someting to start the fire.
It burns on the front land for a long time and the is no one to report it. Building burns down. Any way you cut it bad management by someone.

If you feel your a conspiracy crank and should not post then who am I to hold you here aginst your will.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I’m just full of typos today.

Steve Eggleston on January 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Sekhmet on January 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Game.Set.Match

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM

he governor may be a great executive but unless he can match speaking skills with a deft liberal running to the right Obama its not going to work out well.

This President will take credit for economic success in Texas and his minions will validate exactly that, Perry would have to counter that without stumbling, without hesitation and with overwhelming authority.

That hasn’t been the case so far.

Speakup on January 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

That’s exactly what Perry is counting on and why he said he looks forward to debating Obama.

workingclass artist on January 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Kaye Bailey Hutchinson weighs in

workingclass artist on January 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

On Perry:

He says ” I served during the Vietnam War period.”

He got out of A & M, 1972.

The U.S. forces left VN in Jan. 1973 after commie Democrats in the House voted no money for that.

Time line is a bit of a problem for him.

Glad he served, glad he got to be a pilot of C-130 cargo planes.

He is not a John Kerry.

Combat in Vietnam or any where not so much.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Hey, it forced ME to consider a field without Perry–and I’m a Perry supporter, so it scared the dickens out of me! So glad he’s staying in. Don’t give up, folks, and don’t let these well-he’s-polling-low-in-South-Carolina-get-your-heads-out-of-the-sand Puddleglums discourage you! Governor Perry will work harder and faster now than he ever has before because he’s tasted defeat for the first time. He will be very motivated to pull off a win like no other.

louisianapatriette on January 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Santorum came in 3rd in Dubuque which is heavily Catholic so I think his surge is soft…

workingclass artist on January 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM

““I talked to my campaign staff, senior guys, you know, (Joe) Allbaugh, (Ray) Sullivan,” Perry said. “This wasn’t a hard decision. This was one of those where you take a look, you didn’t do as well in Iowa as you wanted to, but this is a quirky place and a quirky process to say the least. We’re going to go into places where they have actual primaries and there are going to be real Republicans voting. I’m excited about getting out with real Republicans and laying out – not that there aren’t real Republicans here in Iowa, but the fact is that it was a pretty loosey-goosey process and you had a lot of people who were there that admitted they were Democrats, voting in the caucuses last night.

workingclass artist on January 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM