Perry tweets, “Here we come South Carolina!”

posted at 11:45 am on January 4, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

When a primary candidate suffers a substantial defeat and states that he will “reassess” his campaign while suspending his travel to the next state in the campaign, it generally means that the candidate has decided to withdraw.  That’s what Rick Perry did last night in the aftermath of his expensive fifth-place finish far out of the running in Iowa:

Curiously, that reassessment seems to have taken place without a return to Texas. His official Twitter account sent out this message at 11:10 am ET today, with a picture of a jogging Perry attached:

And the next leg of the marathon is the Palmetto State…Here we come South Carolina!!!

Conservatives who have backed Perry will be encouraged by this development, but it prompts a few questions. What happened between last night and this morning to close out the reassessment period? And why would Perry have announced his intention to “return to Texas,” rather than proceed immediately to South Carolina, to “reassess” the campaign in the middle of a gracious concession speech, which he had to have known would be taken as a strong hint of withdrawal? It sounds as though the Perry campaign is still having problems with messaging and competency, and this time it can’t be blamed on Perry’s old campaign team. This kind of vacillation is not going to bolster confidence in Perry in the next two weeks.

Perry has the best resume in the race for conservatives, with a solid record of accomplishment in Texas for more than a decade. The campaign itself and Perry as a national candidate have proven to be less than effective on the national stage, however. If Perry does decide to stay in the race, which this tweet seems to indicate, it will keep those conservatives divided for the next couple of weeks, as Perry seems to have little hope of consolidating them in South Carolina. As I mentioned earlier, his polling in the state in December averages out to 5.7% in RCP’s calculations, behind even Bachmann, who just withdrew today. If Perry picked up all of Bachmann’s support, he would still be well behind Romney (21%) and Newt Gingrich, whose 37% average will almost surely have declined in the three weeks since the last poll, and which was dropping through December anyway.

Perry still has lots of cash and a significant organization. Perhaps he can get another chance in South Carolina, but I’d call that a long shot at this point — and the longer he stays in the race, the better it is for Mitt Romney.

Update: I added the time stamp information to clarify that this came out this morning.  The picture makes the point, if you follow the link.  In the headline thread, some people are claiming that this is a strategic head-fake to get Bachmann to withdraw, but in what universe was Bachmann a threat to any of the rest of the candidates, including Perry?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

*facepalm*

vegconservative on January 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Expect Santorum to have his vetting SuperPac style in South Carolina.

rubberneck on January 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM

awesome

gatorboy on January 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I’m proud of my governor. Texas conservatives don’t quit. Go Rick!!

PatrickHenry599 on January 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Perry still has lots of cash and a significant organization.

See…he is a shovel-ready job creator. Digging ditches and refilling them type jobs.

WashJeff on January 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Perry: Do the hokey-pokey candidate.

Put your right foot in, put your right foot out…

matthew8787 on January 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

YEAH I’m super happy.

TXUS – thank you for keeping my spirits up last night.

Twix bar is still in the freezer. Let’s hope it stays there!

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Go Perry!

cmsinaz on January 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Stupid is as stupid does!

Sparky5253 on January 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

as the plot thickens…popcorn please!!

Dannyp8262 on January 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I am not a political expert by any means, but maybe he was trying to get Bachmann to drop out by saying he was returning to Texas…

It would make her look bad if she continued and getting about half the votes Perry did and he was going to suspend…

Just a thought…

MGardner on January 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I don’t quit understand the problem with Perry saying last night that he was “reassessing his campaign”, and then today saying “onward and upward”.

What’s the problem here?

portlandon on January 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Perry did prove, in Texas, that you don’t have to be a businessman (be a Romney) to get out of a bussinessman’s way and improve the economy that way.

RBMN on January 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Perry is a better campaigner today than he was a month ago. I am interested in seeing a little more of him. I hope he picks up a little bit of steam.

bopbottle on January 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I still think if Perry is given another look, he is the only one with a shot of taking down Romney. I have a really hard time believing that under tighter scrutinization Santorum stays on top and Huntsman has his one and only stand in NH. Romney IS the nominee at this point. Perry, I believe as his wide-eyed supporter, is the only chance of knocking Romney off.

A girl can dream can’t she?

XWing5 on January 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Well, I guess Perry’s deep pockets will help the South Carolina economy if nothing else.

I like the man, but even Obama would kill him in the debates.

Alferd Packer on January 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

AWESOME!!!!

The more anti-Romney nuts fighting for the YEEEEHAAAW vote, the better for Mitt Romney.

Mitt will smoke em all in New Hampshire, making him 2 for 2.

Mitt will probably lose South Carolina…I mean the people there arent exactly splitting atoms…know what I mean?

And then Mitt will end it in Florida and the nomination will be his.

Amen and amen

Jailbreak on January 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Head fake for Bachmann’s benefit?

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Right on, Ed…because the polls in the GOP race have been oh-so-consistent for months now. No one has surged or sank at all, except for Rick Perry.

Seriously, the only consistent thing in this race so far has been Romney’s ceiling.

If Perry wants to stay in, I’m all for it. A Perry nomination beats the hell out of the remaining choices, Romney, Santorum, or Gingrich.

DRayRaven on January 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Newt has reached ramming speed toward Mitt.
Bachmann is dropping out.
The media blitzkrieg on Santorum is just firing up.

Plus there are two debates coming up, and Perry loves to do debates.

forest on January 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM

YouTube video title “Bilderberger Rick Perry”. Did Teh Crazy Uncle upload this clip?

whatcat on January 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

It’s really not surprising that Perry would leap-frog New Hampshire. Better to spend time, effort and money in South Carolina as an “Alamo” moment as one commenter here on Hot Air called it.

If Perry does less than third place in South Carolina, I suspect we’ll see him throw in the towel for good.

All of this isn’t necessarily surprising. Looking back to the primary races of 08, there were candidates who dropped out immediately following Iowa and then South Carolina, etc.

Logus on January 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Then BOOM…Perry’s Back….brilliant move

Now he needs to Win South Carolina or its over

LordMaximus on January 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

“Bilderberger Rick Perry?”

hahahahahaha the conspiracy freaks crack me up.

Red Cloud on January 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Agreed. He’s not gonna win South Carolina. But what he could do is siphon off 10-13% of the vote which will hurt Santorum and Newt.

Doughboy on January 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Jailbreak on January 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Mitt has a real chance in SC. He has Haley’s support and Mac won there four years ago, and he was more moderate.

IR-MN on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Mitt won’t have to go after Santorum. Perry and Paul will do it for him.

I also agree that only Perry has a shot at beating Romney.

gerry-moderate republican=mittbot

gerrym51 on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

How does this help Mitt Romney? Once they all get to the southern states?

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Perry proves once again he doesn’t have a clue in terms of running a national campaign. You don’t rush to say you are going to “re-assess your campaign” and then backtrack the next morning. It’s over for him and everyone else but Romney.

I have been saying it for months, Mitt is the only one in the race that showed up wearing a suit to the proverbial job interview. Every other candidate is marginal at best. None of them DESERVE to be the nominee based on the screw-ups and lack of organization.

echosyst on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

What’s the problem here?

portlandon on January 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

It doesn’t fit the HA status quo?

Seriously though Perry is going to kill me – up/down/up/down – ACK!

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

It ain’t gonna happen, but why not give it the old college try?

abobo on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Are we sure Perry is in control of his twitter account? Overly optimistic staffer maybe?

ElectricPhase on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Head fake for Bachmann’s benefit?

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Pretty much, but it wasn’t for Bachmann’s benefit.

For those of you wondering whether that tweet was a scheduled one, Perry used Twitter for BlackBerry to send it, which does not allow for scheduled tweets.

Steve Eggleston on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

So, Ed, who is your candidate? Santorum? The reincarnation of John McCain??

I don’t get it, Ed.

NickDeringer on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

AWESOME!!!!

Mitt will smoke em all in New Hampshire, making him 2 for 2.

And then Mitt will end it in Florida and the nomination will be his.

Jailbreak on January 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I realize this is just a troll, trolling. But it is indicative of the Romney mindset and the Romney supporter in general.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

What, that he didn’t go to Texas? Gee, how un-presidential. /s

changer1701 on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

He’s probably hoping that Gingrich will fully implode, and Santorum will fade, leaving him the only possible Romney alternative. It’s somewhat of a longshot, but he has the money to stay in it for awhile so he might as well give it a shot.

WolvenOne on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Think he is really smart. He had more twice as many votes as Bachmann and I think really wanted to see what she was going to do. They know how to play poker in Texas.

Effectively, this makes him the conservative candidate to beat in SC, I think (I know Santorum just lost by 8 votes to Romeny in Iowa, but that is as far as his campaign will go).

If Perry performs well in the next debate, who knows. This could drag all the way to convention.

ConservativePartyNow on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I think Perry just wanted a chance to sleep on it, and get everybody’s opinions once folks have had some chance to rest.

I also think Perry flirted with ending the campaign to make certain parties mess their shorts with the thought of having to back Santorum, Gingrich, or Romney.

Sekhmet on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

This just means that while Gingrich is busying himself with taking down Romney, Perry is going to be running all of the negative ads against Gingrich (who is still leading in SC) that he ran in Iowa… I agree with Ed, this only helps Romney…

PSConservative on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Go Perry!! We pray for you to do well. You are the true conservative that we need.

ladytexan on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You don’t rush to say you are going to “re-assess your campaign” and then backtrack the next morning. echosyst on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

You might if you are trying to get Bachmann to drop out, and stop siphoning off votes for a viable candidate.

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I’m glad Perry’s staying in. Do not want Mittens or Santorum, both big government types, and Newt’s got too much baggage.

rbj on January 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Headfake? Hmmmm could be?

Red Creek on January 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM

ElectricPhase on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Multiple sources say that Perry is the one who usually does the typing, and it was typed out and sent this morning.

Steve Eggleston on January 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I disagree with Ed’s analysis. Perry’s decision shows he is not a quitter in the face of odds against him. I don’t see how this helps Romney. He’ll get his nose blooded in NH by Newt and Huntsman. He’ll probably win NH but not in a blowout. Perry has much more appeal in SC than Romney. Santorum is going to get carpet-bombed by Mitt’s Super Pacs. They will ignore Perry for now and that will help him in SC.

PatrickHenry599 on January 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I’ve been a strong Rick Perry supporter from the start. Love the guy! He’s my Governor, and I am extremely proud of him for the campaign he’s run.

But this morning I’m switching to Mitt.

I am now a Romney for President backer. As I imagine a good number of other Perry longtime supporters may be in the coming hours and days, as well.

ericdondero on January 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Glad to hear this about Perry. He is my choice. Say in the fight.

FastTalker on January 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

PSConservative on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I suspect it’s Santorum not Gingrich that will be the target of negative ads in South Carolina. Santorum is after all the non southerner.

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Steve Eggleston on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

You are just full of useful information today – thank you

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

What’s the problem here?
portlandon on January 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

It doesn’t fit the HA status quo?
Seriously though Perry is going to kill me – up/down/up/down – ACK!
gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

In the clip he says he is reassessing if there is any path for his campaign to continue after Iowa.

whatcat on January 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Honest question here, no snark.

If/when Perry does withdraw, where does the Conservative voter go?

Right Mover on January 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM

How about reassurances from big donors? Perry is still in a good position to overtake Romney if he has the money. Newt is already self destructing and Santorum’s vetting will be more than he can survive. His rigid social con stances along with his big government, anti individual freedom positions will turn off conservative/libertarians, independents and moderates. Go Perry!

cartooner on January 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM

If I had to guess who this helps it would be Gingrich.

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I’m mainly a Romney supporter, but I’m very glad to see that he is staying in.

It isn’t any sort of “I hope he splits the vote in SC” stuff, either. I just don’t see any reason that a guy with enough money and organization should quit after one state and all of a 6 to 1 delegate deficit. I want to see the strongest field possible and that means keeping guys like Perry in for a while to fight this out.

Gingotts on January 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Make Way, Willard and Newton, a real man is on the way!
Hotdiggitydämn.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

She was not a threat, but Perry’s hoping that the remnants of her support go to him, which is the only way he becomes viable in South Carolina.

Steve Eggleston on January 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I realize this is just a troll, trolling.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Pot, meet Kettle…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

The part of PA where Santorum’s from is Southernesque, save for the accent. Same kind of social conservative values.

The smart play is for the two Ricks and Newt to focus everything they have on Romney. Make Romney play defense on all fronts.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Thus Rick Perry steps up to be the next stalking horse for Romney.

steebo77 on January 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

ericdondero on January 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Are you nuts? Since Palin was not running, I have thought that Perry was the next best. And if she does not get in, I’ll vote for him when the primary gets up here.

ConservativePartyNow on January 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM

So Allahpundit and Moe Lane are conversing on Twitter, ML thrilled -seemingly- that Perry is staying in and AP agreeing that Perry is better than either Romney or Santorum. I’m just wondering after months of downward trajectory, why a converted democrat would be the best choice going forward.

Anyone else as firmly in the Perry camp as these two? Why?

BKeyser on January 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Wow, he flip-flops faster than Mitt…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Pot, meet Kettle…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Right. I don’t like Romney, therefore I am a troll.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

ericdondero on January 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I will support Romney if and when Perry is done for good.

But as long as Perry is in – I will support him as first choice.

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

The primary sure helps the South Carolina economy. We need it, since Obama is our current Dear Leader.

SC.Charlie on January 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

No Doubt — last night was to help Romney tell his lackey Bachmann that her services would no loner be needed and she can go now. …

LordMaximus on January 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Bachmann showed her hand in 2010 when the Tea Parties were really rolling along. She claimed to be a leader/spokesperson/believer in the movement and campaigned as such, that she was against the establishment so-to-speak and reform.

She then went on down to Missouri and backed Roy Blunt for his bid for Senate. Roy Blunt who is anything but solidly conservative. She ignored the real conservative in the race because the Tea Party ignored him and instead they all went to Roy Blunt to do a little backscratching because they preferred one establishment, dynastic politician over another… anything to make sure a Democrat didn’t get the seat vacated by Kit Bond.

If she truly were principled as she says she is, she would have ignored the Tea Party and thrown her support behind Chuck Purgason, but it was clearly evident even two years ago, long before she threw her hat in the ring that she had presidential aspirations.

Logus on January 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Right. I don’t like Romney, therefore I am a troll.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

No your just hateful and don’t like anyone, thereby you are a troll.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Alternative Headline: “Texas Man Struggling with Deep Denial”

inthemiddle on January 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I am glad Perry is staying in. Santorum does not have a chance in a general election. I am not sure about Newt. I am sure that I get no positive vibes from Romney, no matter how hard I try and despite the fact that I voted for him in 2008.
We just went through the first inning, I keep telling myself.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Food for thought for the Mittbots…

He wins in 2012. GOP loses house/senate in 2014. You have Mitt, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi running the govt for 2 years.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM

YEAH I’m super happy.

TXUS – thank you for keeping my spirits up last night.

Twix bar is still in the freezer. Let’s hope it stays there!

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

You’re most welcome and I’m glad I could stop your “sinning” ways. ;-) I knew Rick wasn’t going to quit, but he’s got work to do, a lot it, but the good news is that money’s still not an issue for him.

TXUS on January 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM

…………..what I don’t like about the primary is the damn robo-calls.

SC.Charlie on January 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM

whatcat on January 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I’ll admit – I didn’t watch the clip so if that is what he said – then apparently he changed his mind.

With this political season it’s entirely possible.

gophergirl on January 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Ice cream.

beatcanvas on January 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM

This helps Mitt Romney win a plurality in the South..

thanks Perry, the best thing you have ever done in this campaign!

AirForceCane on January 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM

No your just hateful and don’t like anyone, thereby you are a troll.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I point out Mitt’s record in MA and his constant flip flops on every issue imaginable. That’s hateful. Got it.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Yes, but Gingrich is still the easier target imho. Gingrich has a lot more support to lose than Santorum in SC at the moment, and Perry will see himself as the man most likely to gain those that defect from Gingrich at this point. This may or may not be true, but unless Gingrich collapses to about 25% of where is is at right now in SC in the next week or so, he is still going to be the target in SC – and that will make him REALLY angry….. Romney will get his test over the next week. If he survives that and wins NH big, without bleeding too heavily, he won’t even need to win SC to make a strong case in FL and beyond. Santorum, Perry and Gingrich will be fighting for that SC win to be the non-Mitt to carry the torch into FL and beyond. That means that they will need to fight each other (which could allow Romney a sneak attack in SC where he only needs to finish top 3 to have a good showing…)

PSConservative on January 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I have been saying it for months, Mitt Gordon Gekko is the only one in the race that showed up wearing a suit to the proverbial job interview. Every other candidate is marginal at best. None of them DESERVE to be the nominee based on the screw-ups and lack of organization.

echosyst on January 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

FIFY

cartooner on January 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Steve Eggleston on January 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Thank you it is nice to get the details. I am surprised by this twitter statement. I sincerely believed he was seriously considering ending his campaign.

I am guessing Ed thinks this helps Romney by keeping the conservative vote split among the other conservative candidates Santorum, Gingrich and Perry. This truly is turning into a marathon. That’s the point of the photo on twitter.

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I thought you were shilling for Romney Ed?

Dammit! Will you make up your mind already you fickle son of a gun?!

lol

csdeven on January 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM

You do it in the most negative and hateful way possible.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Food for thought for the Mittbots…

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Good but discouraging point.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Food for thought for the Mittbots…

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM

He’ll have Reid running the Senate for the first 2 years regardless of whether the GOP gets control (unless, of course, you think they’ll grow enough balls to toss McConnell).

Steve Eggleston on January 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Perry was still trying to see if the conservative base was going to coalesce behind Santorum or if people still wanted him in. Now that Bachmann is out, and Newt’s sinking, Perry has a shot. But he has to be positive. He has to lay out his vision for America. He can’t be wasting time attacking Romney and Santorum. Bachmann’s rabid and groundless attacks are what did her in. Perry has to take Newt’s advice. Be positive towards fellow Republicans. Lay out a positive case for voting for him, and save his attacks for Obama.

Iblis on January 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM

That isn’t necessarily the case. Its entirely possible the campaign made an honest calculation after ‘sleeping on it’. Two weeks ago Perry was in Bachmann’s position in Iowa. His showing last night was less than expected but quite a bit better than it could have been just before Christmas.

It seems to me that Perry finally found his stride but a little late to make a difference in IA or NH. With Newt going negative and Santorum about to get a vetting that will look like a hydro-colonic and Bachmann out, Perry could in fact be the last non-Mitt standing.

I’ve supported Perry all along. If he wants to continue I’ll keep supporting him.

JonPrichard on January 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM

It ain’t just Rick Perry, it’s his son and lots of staff who tweeted all at the same time.

Kermit on January 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM

As governor of MA:

– raised $550M in new taxes/fees
– increased spending by 15%
– signed assault weapons ban
– ROMNEYCARE
– signed into law Cap N Trade for MA
– 80% of judges he appointed were Democrats

(Sorry to be so hateful E L)

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM

G O O D for Perry!…and now the media will start doing a job on Santy…for JugEars!

KOOLAID2 on January 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM

As one who will be deciding among those left in the NC May 8 primary… I’ll take Perry… anybody but Santorum or Romney… please?

mankai on January 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Thank the Lord, the only hope we have to save this country is fighting on, I knew he wasn’t a quitter because he knows too much is at stake. Bring it on to the south, Perry, and we will show you the great support you have and how much we appreciate you.

Tn.-Vol on January 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM

He said ASSESS not suspend or reassess, you shill for the phony choir boy.

Kermit on January 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM

No, Ed, you and the other pundits read meanings into his statement. I warned you in the other thread that this could happen.

Reassess means to reassess. Nothing more, nothing less.

And yet Perry is the one that is accused of butchering the English language.

Perry is back and I ask that Hot Air gives him a fair shake for once.

The strategy of media blackout – where good news about Perry is suppressed and only bad news is highlighted – must stop. Other media outlets/blogs aside Hot Air are also doing that to Gov. Perry.

It is not over until it is over, period!

TheRightMan on January 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Anyone else as firmly in the Perry camp as these two? Why?

BKeyser on January 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Allow me to give you the name of an other former democrat:
Ronald Reagan.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Oh boy, Newt is not going to like this one little bit. I’m sure he was counting on those Perry voters to jump on his bandwagon.

Sorry Newt.

Game back on. Go Perry!

JPeterman on January 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

But this morning I’m switching to Mitt.

ericdondero on January 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

?????????????????????????????
Eric, Eric, Eric!!!! From Perry to Romney??? Come on, don’t give up now!! And you’re going to support Romney???

Susanboo on January 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

You do it in the most negative and hateful way possible.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM

That’s hilarious coming from a Romney supporter. I guess you haven’t seen any Romney PAC ads eh?

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

As governor of MA:

– raised $550M in new taxes/fees
– increased spending by 15%
– signed assault weapons ban
– ROMNEYCARE
– signed into law Cap N Trade for MA
– 80% of judges he appointed were Democrats

(Sorry to be so hateful E L)

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Also balanced the budget and vetoed 500 other measures, many of which were over-ridden by the Mass Legislature.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I don’t live in Iowa.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

BKeyser on January 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM

The “converted Democrat” argument is a laugh. When Perry was first elected Texas had few Republicans and a very few Dem conservatives.
He was one of the first to switch and a leader of the conservative movement in Texas.

PatrickHenry599 on January 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM