Obligatory: The UCLA Jumbotron marriage proposal

posted at 8:55 pm on January 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. There’s no way this is real, right? The acting seems pitifully bad, from the woman’s slightly-too-demonstrative attempt to kiss him when the camera first pans over to the guy’s downcast look after his beloved bolts. And why does she bolt, anyway? How many women would respond to their boyfriend’s proposal — on camera, with thousands of people watching — by literally running away, knowing how it would humiliate him? And why is the woman with the mic just a few steps away when it all goes down? That’s mighty coincidental positioning in an arena this big.

And yet:

Some people are asking me if that runaway proposal was staged. I just asked. A UCLA spokesman said it wasn’t.

According to ABC, “A fan in the stands near the couple tweeted the reporter that the man was ‘visibly shaken up. She seemed nervous.’” The clip has almost three million YouTube views in the past two days and has been picked up by dozens of sites, and yet unless I missed something on Google, no one’s come forward to name either of them. Very odd. Exit question: Fake, right? C’mon.

Comments

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

alchemist19 on January 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I think that’s real… The gesture she does to get the mic out of her face is completely authentic, I don’t think she would have reacted that way if she was prepared to walk out.

smorpheus on January 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I think the woman is cheerful for too long to be credible. She knows what he is going to do, is all smiles, and then suddenly she is horrified enough to make a run for it?

Fake.

sharrukin on January 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

If romantic comedies have taught me anything, it’s that she has to say yes when you propose in public.

Jack Squat Bupkis on January 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Urban Elitest has a beard??? hmmmmm…makes sense.

St Gaudens on January 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

That was nothing compared to this one

The dude gets slapped before the gal runs away.

JPeterman on January 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Who wants to merry a millionaire?
She apparently.

Electrongod on January 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Big time fake.

I think the camera crew and announcer were clearly aware a proposal was going to happen ,but that doesn’t mean that the UCLA people were in on the stunt.

Still, the woman smiles as she turns to bolt, and as AP pointed out, she stays cheerful way too long for a woman horrified at the thought of saying yes.

Nessuno on January 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

mary That is.
Marry

Electrongod on January 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

She sure seems ticked at the 50 mark when the ucla blonde shoves mic in face.

Bmore on January 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Meh.

SouthernGent on January 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Proposing marriage on the first date is never a good idea…

Seven Percent Solution on January 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

This one is my favorite.

joekenha on January 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Maybe he didn’t go to Jared’s?

SouthernGent on January 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

BTW, I assume every one of these rejected proposal videos–past, present, or future–are faked. The simple reason is that I think the normal response of a shocked woman who does not want to say yes is to avoid saying no as long as possible.

She might smile and hug and kiss the guy until the camera goes away, which would allow her to avoid saying “yes” or “no” until the two were alone.

Some women might even say yes then say no later to avoid the public humiliation. I just can’t fathom a woman who wouldn’t try to minimize her man’s embarrassment.

Nessuno on January 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Proposing marriage on the first date is never a good idea…

Seven Percent Solution on January 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Unless the sex is good…

OmahaConservative on January 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

It should have been… like… McCain endorsing Romney!
Oh wait!

KOOLAID2 on January 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

It’s a shop, I can tell by looking at the pixels.

Ars Moriendi on January 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Curious. why does a guy feel the need to put a woman on the spot like that?

WryTrvllr on January 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

BoxHead1 on January 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Wrong thread?

KOOLAID2 on January 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

You know how this could have been worse for him?

She could have said “yes.”

Crusty on January 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Maybe he didn’t go to Jared’s?

SouthernGent on January 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

/thread

onetrickpony on January 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

we need the olden days.

club a woman.

grab her by the hair. drag her back to the cave. make her eat mammoth. do her.

blatantblue on January 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

alchemist19 on January 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Very true. Never understood why anyone would propose this way.

Bmore on January 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Very true. Never understood why anyone would propose this way.

Bmore on January 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Perhaps it has to do with added pressure on the woman to say yes, and entirely too many romantic movies watched?

sharrukin on January 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

He looks Devastated!

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM

No douchebag better propose to me like that….. unless there is a million dollar ring in that little box.

txag92 on January 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

He looks Devastated!

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM

He did.
No palate be cleansed that night.

Electrongod on January 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM

See, I waited until we’d lived together and the kid was almost a year old. It was pretty much in the bag when I proposed. Plus, I think a nice quiet restaurant table is a little more appropriate for this sort of thing.

Saw a flashed proposal on the stadium scoreboard at an outdoor Dead show once. Didn’t see the couple but the second cheer suggested that she’d agreed to become his Sugar Magnolia.

urban elitist on January 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Maybe they were brother and sister…?

… Seems like a totally normal reaction to me.

Seven Percent Solution on January 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM

we need the olden days.

club a woman.

grab her by the hair. drag her back to the cave. make her eat mammoth. do her.

blatantblue on January 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

blatantblue:Ya right,hey,ahem(I kid)I’m with ya,but what happens is
you’ll turn your back one day,and for the next 50 years
you will be inexplicably perplexed,as to how she has al
l the power,and you will also try to figure out,exactly
what day it was,that it all began!(snark):)

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM

O/T’

Reports: Rick Santorum has raised $1 million since his 2nd place finish in the Iowa caucuses, staffer says – @NBCNews, @politicoStory metadata:
Submitted 1 hour ago by editor

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM
He did.
No palate be cleansed that night.

Electrongod on January 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Electrongod:Probably saved himself a world of hurt,ya no cleaning,
poor guy,he might succumb to TDSB,haha!:)

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Fake

Go RBNY on January 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Of course it’s all an elaborate ruse, nobody goes to womens basketball games.

lowandslow on January 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

O/T,

Out….Muslim Terror

In…..Foreigner Rage!
(sarc)
=======================

Los Angeles arson fires Charging documents:

Hollywood arson suspect ‘motivated by rage against Americans’
**************************************************************

@LANowStory metadata:
Submitted 1 hour ago from latimesblogs.latimes.com by editor

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Obligatory: The UCLA Jumbotron marriage proposal

Asking for one’s hand in marriage is an intimate moment.

Never will understand those that broadcast it live.

rukiddingme on January 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

txag92 on January 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

txag92:Lol,you go girl:)

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I work on the production crew of a large sports arena (18K+) here in the Midwest. These things are staged by the client (team) marketing staff. We get a heads up on location and timing for video and audio staff. As to authenticity–arena management has no clue, it’s client satisfaction that drives the arena media coverage

HatfieldMcCoy on January 4, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Asking for one’s hand in marriage is an intimate moment.

Never will understand those that broadcast it live.

rukiddingme on January 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

rukiddingme:Good point!!

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Maybe he didn’t go to Jared’s?

SouthernGent on January 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Our first-born son, whose name just happens to be Jared, proposed to his girlfriend on Christmas Eve and she said yes, but he didn’t go to Jared’s, he bought her ring at Zales. I guess she figured if she was getting a Jared for life, she didn’t need a ring from Jared’s. lol

mom29js on January 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM

indeed!

blatantblue on January 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Curious. why does a guy feel the need to put a woman on the spot like that?

WryTrvllr on January 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Because he’s a complete OWS mememememememe *-hole.

KirknBurker on January 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM

About as fake as Romney’s conservative credentials.

Norwegian on January 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM

These things are the most beta of meta moves. Assuming for a moment that it’s real, any chick that says yes will be banging the nearest outlaw biker within a year of the ceremony.

CTD on January 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I don’t know if it’s fake or not but you never do something that is private and personal like proposing marriage in front of a crowd. It’s not a good idea, just don’t do it!

Dollayo on January 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM

we need the olden days.

club a woman.

grab her by the hair. drag her back to the cave. make her eat mammoth. do her.

blatantblue on January 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I know it’s wrong…but this made me laugh.

trish333 on January 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Bad acting from beginning to end.

RRFCL on January 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I didn’t watch it…cannot stand these publicity stunts. I would say no to some guy who thought it would be a good idea to be so public. Similarly I would refuse to marry someone who wanted to get married while skydiving or some other campy thing designed to get some publicity. Seems like a good insight into the guy’s personality that he (or she if it was her idea) would want to treat such a special moment or moments so cavalierly.

Not to be an a-hole but I am also getting sick of the daily military-surprise reunions. I was a military wife and I would not have wanted our surprise reunion tipped to the press first.

What is the deal with the YouTube-15 minutes of fame mentality?

Ok…b*tch hat off…getting a glass of wine.

HawaiiLwyr on January 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM

What a fake! This isn’t news…

elihu on January 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I wonder how his inner “look at me, look at me” feels now?

Personally, I think it is legit and exactly what should happen more often. If you are determined to drag me into your own little reality show, allow me to be entertained when you face plant.

roy_batty on January 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

That reminds me, have we ever seen the con artist kiss Marie Antoinette in public ?

Sticky Wicket on January 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Because he’s a complete OWS mememememememe *-hole.

KirknBurker on January 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM

When you’re politicizing bad proposals its time to take a deep breath and step away from the computer screen.

But yes, these sorts of over the top public proposals are gross and any guy who is rejected in this way deserves it. After the proposal and the over the top engagement and the tens of thousands of dollars wedding and the honeymoon people often forget that you have to actually be married to the person. Five years into my non-married relationship and I’m just happy that we’ve built trust and friendship and we *know* we’ll be together, we don’t need all the public ritual. If we get married formally it’ll be for the registry.

libfreeordie on January 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I love having those wedding proposals imposed upon me as much as the Fox News daily bits about people finding new ways to traumatize their children when they return from their National Guard weekend drill.

borntoraisehogs on January 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM
indeed!

blatantblue on January 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM

blantantblue:—:)

canopfor on January 5, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Maybe he didn’t go to Jared’s?

SouthernGent on January 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Thread winner

irishinfidel on January 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Curious. why does a guy feel the need to put a woman on the spot like that?

WryTrvllr on January 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Beta males think that women appreciate this. It proves how much they love them….

irishinfidel on January 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Here is another one:

Guess her name is Caroline

irishinfidel on January 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Of course it’s fake.

Kensington on January 5, 2012 at 1:02 AM

And they lived happily ever after!

Shy Guy on January 5, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Curious. why does a guy feel the need to put a woman on the spot like that?

WryTrvllr on January 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I think some men have the mistaken idea that women will find it romantic. We don’t. Women do want a good story to tell their friends, who will always ask for details, but to us, a good story is one that is romantic. The traditional kneel–or simply sitting beside her–taking her hand, and saying, “I cannot see the rest of my life without you” will suffice. My husband said, “It would be the greatest honor of my life if you would marry me,” which made all my girlfriends sigh and swoon. Had he proposed in public, so all eyes were on me–something that makes me terribly uncomfortable–I would have thought, “You really don’t know me at all.”

DrMagnolias on January 5, 2012 at 5:50 AM

I would have thought, “You really don’t know me at all.”

DrMagnolias on January 5, 2012 at 5:50 AM

You have it in one. Mr. Knightley showed me this video and I told him that was a man who didn’t know his girlfriend very well. The fact that he was surprised by this makes me think he was either living in a dream world concerning her feelings for him or never took the time to figure out what she wants. You don’t ask a question like that in a manner like that unless you’re sure what the answer will be.

mrsknightley on January 5, 2012 at 6:54 AM

If UCLA basketball was as good as it was when I was a kid, they wouldn’t need to resort to cheap stunts like this to interest people in attending their games.

radjah shelduck on January 5, 2012 at 7:03 AM

This girl’s acting skills are about as convincing as Grant from Ghost Hunters when he pulled his own jacket with fishing wire. So, so fake.

Mekei on January 5, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Probably fake but if real he got lucky. If this is how the girl reacts to a stressful situation then she would be a disappointment down the line when confronted with life challenges. Move on young man.

FireBlogger on January 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM

CUDA

Metro on January 5, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I don’t see why it would be fake. The guy obviously had to work with the team to make sure he was one of the people selected to be on the camera. If they knew it was a proposal it makes complete sense to have the emcee standing nearby. And it makes complete sense to me that a guy that thinks proposing at an 80% empty stadium during a women’s basketball game is not quite sharp enough to know whether or not the answer will be yes. As far as her leaving goes, I think that is a natural reaction to get the spotlight off of her during this very embarrassing time. Would you sit there and get laughed at by the crowd after saying no to a guy that just embarrassed the hell out of you?

I think its real.

TheLoudTalker on January 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I agree with LoudTalker. He tipped off the facility/school folks about his proposal, so the emcee was there. They did a pretty lame lead-up to it, with the other couples. (You gotta love the one “couple” where she kisses the back of his head!)

It’s clear she felt something was up, and she wasn’t real happy with being the center of attention. She – like most women, I think, would – had a moment of “OMG! He wants to marry me! That’s wonderful!” Then she actually thought about it. (And, maybe the mic being stuck in her face brought her out of that moment.) Then, she decides “There’s no way in heck I’m marrying this chump; I’m still holding out for Mr. Right.” And, she goes to call a cab. (Of course, if she goes to her car to leave, that might help explain the “No” response!)

GWB on January 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Allah, maybe the guy should have considered his girlfriend’s feelings? He certainly didn’t seem to care whether he humiliated HER, in a public place, no less. What a jackass.

But this is probably fake…

zoyclem on January 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM

The acting seems pitifully bad

Definitely, but that’s why I’m leaning towards it being real.

zoyclem on January 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM

She was willing to kiss him in public, so I don’t really see why the proposal would humiliate her. If anything, it’s flattering.

Esthier on January 5, 2012 at 2:35 PM