New PSA: You should feel very, very badly about your obese child, you know

posted at 10:16 pm on January 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart TV, the controversy du jour. When I first watched the clip, I thought their strategy was to discourage overeating by simply depressing the viewer until he/she has no appetite left. But no, they’re going for something different. I’m just … not sure what.

Critics say the ads will further ostracize children such as Tina. In posts on the Strong4Life Facebook page, they accuse the campaign of building a “climate of hate.”…

But the disagreements arise when it comes to the central question: Will the ads work? While the harsh approach has proved effective in combating smoking, research has found that making people feel badly about their weight doesn’t work as an agent of change, Davis said.

“I guess it depends on what we want to do with these ads,” she said. “If we want to get attention to say obesity is a problem, maybe they will be effective. In terms of the social stigma about weight — it might actually make people feel worse about that.”

It might be more effective, Davis said, to highlight behaviors that lead to obesity and offer help to those who want to change. “We need to fight obesity,” she said, “not obese people.”

Yeah, not a lot of constructive tips here beyond “your child will be despised if you let them look like this.” The spots are arresting, though, insofar as they’re off the beaten path of reassuring insecure kids that they’re wonderful as is. The spots have to be that way — they’re addressing a health problem, after all — but obesity is one of those conditions in which behavior and identity begin to blur, so the usual “love yourself for who you are” message is implicated. Imagine how different the vibe would be for an ad opposing, say, teen smoking. Exit question: Second look at banning Happy Meals?

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Conservatives are so weird. Gardasil vaccine was a scandal because it made it more difficult to shame girls into not having sex. But shaming people into not being obese is bad or something? Whatever. I’m just happy to count myself amongst those Americans who gives a crap about my health and body. I can’t imagine how lazy one has to be to just eat all day and never excercise, but I’m glad I’m not stuck with that affliction. The limited clothing options alone.

libfreeordie on January 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Life style and how it is imprinted.
That responsibility belongs to….????

Electrongod on January 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM

That responsibility belongs, of course, to the parents. But the Parkway School District in Missouri will “help” the parent and child in the quest for healthy children by tracking elementary children with a bracelet worn 24 hours a day for one week.

Data will be downloaded on children and compared with other children. Are they exercising enough at the right level every day? Are they sleeping enough? How does physical activity and sleep impact learning?

What is most egregious is that most of the parents have not known about the bracelets the kids have been wearing in school gym class to measure physical activity and gather their child’s personal data. What is the primary reason parents now know about the week long experiment tracking their child 24/7?

“Parkway will require parental consent to participate largely because of the responsibility of caring for the monitors.”

But if it is for the “good” of the child, the invasion and use of personal data is apparently secondary and of little concern to the school district. You can see where this type of study and data is heading. This type of behavior modification will be adapted to fat kids by the school.

manateespirit on January 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I’m guessing it’s genetic.

SarahW on January 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Bing! Bing! Bing! We have a winner!

In my family, we tend to be quite underweight as kids until the metabolism changes at around 30 or so. Activity, eating, etc. never seemed to make much difference until that magical age when everything seemed to add weight. Now, water seems to be high in calories. Our son is around 16 now, same thing with him so far. He can sit around, drink soda and play video games and not gain weight — he gets out of shape when he does that so we make sure he stays active, but genetics is a huge player in all this.

AZfederalist on January 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM

We have PSA’s here, healthypima.org or some such nonsense. As another poster said, the PSA’s are condescending and insulting.

AZfederalist on January 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM

It never ceases to amaze how spiteful, hateful, and personally insulting Liberals can be, primarily to those they’re trying to help. But, it’s the Bible-toting Conservatives that hate you, or something.

ChicagoJewishGuy on January 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Do you realize the absolute irony of that statement when juxtaposed with your moniker?

AZfederalist on January 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Not at all. Libertarians believe in freedom, but a big component is educating people as to the consequences of their behavior. The PSA isn’t legislating or regulating anything. It’s shining a light on a problem that a lot of parents blithely ignore. If they continue to ignore it, that’s their choice and their freedom.

John the Libertarian on January 5, 2012 at 12:07 AM

The problem I have with this is that the medical community is clueless about obesity. Please take the time to watch Gary Taubes. The calories in/calories out model of obesity makes no sense as does the idea that diets high in carbohydrates, like the food pyramid for much of the past 40 years, will keep you lean. We started a great experiment in diet in the late 70s in which fat was declared the enemy and new fat free foods were supposed to keep us thin. The opposite happened. Yet we cling to the mistaken notion that saturated fats make us fat when it is the flour and sugar that have increased as a percentage of our diet at the same time as the obesity rates jumped.

When the medical community has a solution that works then they can make the PSAs. Until then they are just shaming people for no reason.

Bill C on January 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM

btw i don’t like the ads using the word “fat.” it’s just a rude thing to call someone.

Sachiko on January 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM

But they’re FAT.

John the Libertarian on January 5, 2012 at 12:11 AM

kim roy on January 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Because I don’t drive and consider taking bus a waste of cash I walk-EVERYWHERE. Work is around 5 1/2 miles away and just doing errands today gave me around 6+ miles on my feet.
I get off work after dark so husband picks me up-but if he’s at work or whatever my ability to walk long distances gives me a sense of independence. My son-though a driver-can also walk long distances. Both of us are veteran half-marathoners.
It makes me feel good to know that I’m in better shape than some that are half my age.
The downside to all the walking is that it takes a toll-and sooner or later I’ll have to start limiting the miles. That’s something I dread.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM

What you are doing you can probably do until you pass. Maybe not as many days a week if you do 6+ miles, but if you are good to your joints you’ll probably be fine. My father did whole marathons and ended up with a lot of issues, but you are probably smarter about how you do them than he was and with your equipment/training.

But you already know this!

Even just taking the stairs instead of the elevator can make a difference.

It’s been nice and great to have all these conveniences, but they’ve also made us less mobile.

kim roy on January 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM

libfreeordie on January 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

At 21 I was exercising so much that it weakened my immune system and I ended up with a nasty case of shingles.
At 33 I was walking 5 hours a day…every day.
At 41 I just baked an eggless chocolate to use for my lunches that I take to work and as I’m nibbling a piece I’m thinking that I’m fat and have no will-power and maybe I should just have a skinny mocha for breakfast rather than have some cereal and an apple juice because it will make me feel virtuous and soothe my conscience. I’m not fat-but the war is fought in the mind. My mini-relapses come and go. Btw: I wear a size 8 petite.
Now-sweetheart…how about you try MY ‘affliction’.
Didn’t think so.
*glares*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Having been a teacher and having kids of my own I can safely say the children in this PSA will now be unmercifully tormented by some of their peers. And if they had been tormented before this it will only be worse.

Deanna on January 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM

manateespirit on January 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM

They should put the things on the family dog for the week.

kim roy on January 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Fat lazy parents=fat lazy kids.

All you lazy worthless overweight humps(most likely god squad slaves fat and lazy=religious) get off your butts and stop eating pounds of ice cream at a sitting and chasing that with sticks of butter and gallons of pop. Mix in a walk and a salad once in awhile you fat pigs.

Your Mamma loves me on January 5, 2012 at 12:17 AM

The only thing these vids will do is make bullies feel like the abuse they give to “fatties” is condoned by society. These videos breed hate, and ignorance toward people who may have health, emotional, or psychological issues. I’m fat, I know I’m fat, so tell me its all my fault and make me hide myself in shame, where I can eat more and get fatter. Thanks nannies.

canditaylor68 on January 5, 2012 at 12:22 AM

kim roy on January 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM

The thing is-all my walking is part of the ED. I came down with heat-exhaustion 5 times last summer because I insisted on walking to work in 100+ heat. If I had excepted a ride I wouldn’t have gotten my exercise and since exercise burns calories I would have also felt fat and ugly. That’s how the cycle works.
The nannystate’s fixation with weight, calories etc will cause more people to go ED. Eating disorders are notoriously hard to ‘kill’. Sure-after all these years I’ve learned how to not let it control my life-usually-but I’ll always have it. My experience is the norm.
THAT is why I’m raging so much.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 12:26 AM

They should put the things on the family dog for the week.

kim roy on January 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM

… or the family cat. Be interesting to hear that conversation, “Billy, you were sleeping 20 hours a day all weekend! But those 10 foot jumps were quite impressive!”

AZfederalist on January 5, 2012 at 12:29 AM

(most likely god squad slaves fat and lazy=religious)

Your Mamma loves me on January 5, 2012 at 12:17 AM

What does that mean?

TigerPaw on January 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM

libfreeordie on January 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

What was that statement about empathy? Oh yeah, “empathy you might want to try it sometime”

chemman on January 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM

(most likely god squad slaves fat and lazy=religious)

Your Mamma loves me on January 5, 2012 at 12:17 AM

What does that mean?

TigerPaw on January 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Either trolling or sarcasm. Hard to tell

AZfederalist on January 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM

The psychology to get people to stop smoking and to get people to avoid getting fat are completely different.

People start smoking because they think it’s cool or enjoy it. Mostly.

People don’t think getting fat is cool, nor do they enjoy it. Ever.

So how would using the same tactic to prevent obesity work however well it did with smoking? It won’t. They are different social stigmas.

But if you think we need further proof that the government and libs actually DO WANT to control every aspect of your life, well, here you go.

Side note; every time I email this kind of stuff to my lib friends they never know how to respond. They always end up saying it’s an “extreme example”. Here it is three years later and it’s starting to hit home for most of them that feeling bad and wanting to change something “for the good of the people” always goes badly for the majority. It seems when you press many “progressives” with the option to give up some liberty, they aren’t so keen on it either. Perhaps they are starting to see the light.

goflyers on January 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Don’t bother with trying to shame him. His being thin doesn’t necessarily translate into being healthy. It is just another demonstration of the morally superior attitude that progressives like to demonstrate.

chemman on January 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM

When my daughter was four, she started walking funny, with one foot at a right angle. She never said it hurt, and I thought she was doing it to get attention, because my dad was having a bunch of serious medical problems and he was the center of attention. I went to the school to ask her kindergarten teacher if she did it when I wasn’t around, and she did. I took her to the doctor, who took x-rays, and made an appointment for an MRI. The day of the MRI, we had just gotten home from the hospital when they called and said we had to turn around and go back. She had to be admitted. She had osteomyelitis. They had no idea how she got it, and they did a biopsy on her ankle which broke it, so she was in a boot for months, and we left the hospital with a pic line in her arm. I had to administer IV antibiotics for months, every 8 hours. She couldn’t walk right or run or anything for about a year. I felt sorry for her and I babied her, and she gained some weight, which I then had to feel guilty about. Screw these people. She is 12 now and thinning back out, but people really need to mind their own business unless it is so out of hand it’s child abuse.

Night Owl on January 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM

chemman on January 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM
I know.
Btw:I’m bringing up my eating disorder not for pity or whatever-but to point out that there are dangers with being too fitness-obsessed and that these PSAs might tip some kids in that direction. Kids should realize that beauty comes from within-not from your clothes size.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM

kim roy on January 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM

THAT is why I’m raging so much.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Not sure how things are for you where you are, but is there a ED clinic nearby where you can get support? You are very well versed on the issues and problems, but sometimes it’s nice to have another person to bounce concerns from. It can be tiring to have to do it alone.

EDs are just as dangerous as being obese, but seem to be able to damage people quicker because of the extremes with lack of minerals, etc.

Do be careful with the heat, though. You don’t want to cook any of your organs.

kim roy on January 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 12:26 AM

One of my loves is coaching long distance runners. One year my team of girls was at a track meet. After they had thoroughly dominated the distance runners of the other team. Several of them came up and made the comment but none of you are thin, our coach demands we be thin so we can run faster. My girls responded with our coach doesn’t follow our weight but insists we follow good standards of nutrition and hydration and good body weight will follow.

chemman on January 5, 2012 at 12:47 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I didn’t interpret it as looking for pity. I’ve watched your posts over these past years and see you as a very strong person.

chemman on January 5, 2012 at 12:50 AM

The same people making this PSA are probably the same people that will tell you that they worry about “bullying.” This ad smacks of bullying.

melle1228 on January 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM

kim roy on January 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

West Texas has nothing-and the last group I was in turned into a ”support your eating disorder’ group. I remember my last major relapse(2003) and it was hell not just on me-but on my family. Never again. Been clean from the diet pills since 2003 and now that I’m working, that helps too.
In my last ‘residential’ I learned that how I responded to triggers was a choice. For the most part-though I struggle at times-I CHOOSE not to let it run my life. I have a supportive husband too.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

chemman on January 5, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I lettered in track my senior year. It was ALL bulimia that drove me.
My son just lettered in CC…with the RIGHT motivation. If he goes out for track in a few months(he’s also a senior) he’ll out letter me. Good.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 12:55 AM

The calories in/calories out model of obesity makes no sense

Bill C on January 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Are you serious??? That has to be the most absurd thing I’ve heard all day, and I work for the state of Idaho. What you feed your face (calories in) in relationship to calories burned (calories out)makes perfect sense. How YOU see it doesn’t make sense. There isn’t any magical formula. Energy cannot be created or destroyed. If you don’t burn more calories than you take in you’ll gain weight. Simple as that, with the rare exception of glandular issues.

sage0925 on January 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM

We must be about the same age. I remember during summer going outside in the morning and told to come back at dinner. A bunch of us neighborhood kids would be running around without parental guidance. After dinner we’d be told we were expected back when it got dark.

I remember spending lots of hours doing yardwork and dishes, etc. I speak with people with kids 8+ complaining about having to do household work and I ask “you have kids, right”. “Yes”. “Isn’t that what kids are for – doing scut work at home”? Polite cough ensues.

Is it time yet to talk about walking to/from school in 10 foot snow uphills both ways yet?

kim roy on January 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Cripes I grew up the NINETIES and had a childhood very much the same. Yes I was a sickly little kid at one point and as a result was never really athletic like my peers but even I can remember running around the neighborhood, sneaking out of my best friend’s upper window to go run around the massive woods around his house (about 45 minutes up the highway from me at the time).

Yes video games existed (and we played/liked them) but we also did things outside. Throw a football, play some sort of softball, play Army with the guys up and down the street (which frequently ended in wrestling matches and fistfights that our parents pretty much allowed btw)

Why did all of us grow up to be (relatively) well adjusted young men? Our PARENTS. They kept the junk food away from us, (relatively) limited our screen time, and threw us outside regularly. Also we had this thing called RECESS in Elementary school, a time where people would informally pick teams and then whelp the snot out of each other in kickball, football, basketball, and soccer. And believe it or not…..we didn’t really keep score all that much. Yes we had winners and losers, but the reason we enjoyed it so much was that we had a chance to excise most of that pent-up energy and in my case figure out how the heck to use my legs and arms in a coordinated manner.

IRT the ADD thing and the diet thing posted by others above, I respectfully need to disagree. Yes, ADD exists. I know as I have struggled with it for years (formally diagnosed at age 15 after slumping through school on and off and nearly flunking freshman year of high school). I’m not lazy or stupid or slow etc. Keep in mind I do NOT have ADHD (a DIFFERENT issue all together) and most cases that I have seen of medicating for ADHD (as I now substitute teach in school as an adult) in the modern era could easily be solved by diet and lifestyle changes (i.e. less sugar rush causing crap, less screen time and more exercise and discipline at home and in the school building). ADHD and ADD do exist and are legit issues but the overwhelming desire to label natural normal childhood exuberance as such is irritating to me and detracts from those who are LEGITIMATELY afflicted with this often burdensome problem.

For more info see: http://www.amazon.com/Healing-ADD-Breakthrough-Program-Allows/dp/0425183270/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

SgtSVJones on January 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM

No matter where you come down on this, you gotta agree that those were some stinking bad commercials.

hepcat on January 5, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Simple personal responsibility

Thought-intent-action-consequences

Voluntarily and as an act of free will drink too much – get drunk.

Voluntarily and as an act of free will put a loaded gun to your head and pull the trigger – get dead.

Voluntarily and as an act of free will eat too much – get fat.

Modern America – Voluntarily and as an act of free will perform any act and get negative consequences – Waaa! It’s THEIR fault!

Horace on January 5, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Night Owl on January 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I agree! Not everyone is overweight because they are lazy etc. I have an auto-immune disease that puts me down when I am in a flare. I rely on Prednisone and other steroids to moderate a flare, so that I don’t have neurological or occular complications. Whenever that happens, I gain ALOT of weight. I can’t exercise due to the disease, and steroids are hard on your body. The older I get, the harder it is to take this weight off.

melle1228 on January 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Kids should realize that beauty comes from within-not from your clothes size.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM

John the Libertarian on January 5, 2012 at 1:10 AM

kim roy on January 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Isn’t that the truth? My sister has 3 sons, 10, 8 and 5. I went and visited them right after work one day, and the boys fed the dogs and cats, put the laundry away, brought in firewood(!) and started supper, while my sister and I sat on the couch and talked. No back talk, no problem.

I hope to emulate my sister with my son.

cptacek on January 5, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Women eating high carb, insulating-producing foods while pregnant DOES damage the metabolism of their children, and aids in predisposing them to obesity.

Women should eat a healthier, lower carb, higher fat (including saturated fad and omega 3) diet during pregnancy, and probably always.

This isn’t to blame women: I blame the government for promoting a horrific, obesity-and-diabetes causing low fat, low cholesterol diet.

Just sayin’.

Random on January 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

You are correct, sir. Also, PCOS is an epidemic in this country and most people don’t even know they have it. Low carb is the way to go for these women. And, I’m back on the bandwagon. Lost 6 pounds already!

cptacek on January 5, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Pretty sad seeing little 2-6 year old kids with rolls of fat at the kiddie splashpads.

That falls on irresponsible parenting…no excuse for it.

Pablo Honey on January 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

The rise of formula feeding as a “choice” instead of needing a prescription in case there is a problem has led to many obese children. WHO recommends breastfeeding until the age of 2, (exclusively breastfeeding until age 1).

Doctors are encouraging parents to feed their children rice cereal at 4 months. I politely declined, and starting at 6 months, started putting hunks of food on my baby’s high chair. He can play with it and taste it, but hasn’t really eaten much yet. He is getting all he needs from me. Over the next couple of months, he will begin eating, and by the time he is one, he will be able to eat any food that my husband or I can eat.

cptacek on January 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM

melle1228 on January 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Funny you should mention that. I developed a neurological disorder that causes constant pain and fatigue soon after my daughters ordeal, so by the time she could walk and run again I was in no shape to do the things we did before all this happened. That’s why it’s taking her so long to lose her weight. I know how you feel, although I don’t have to take prednisone, they keep trying new drugs on me that make everything worse. I’ve gained weight as well. I don’t know about you, but the way things are, weight is the least of my problems.

Night Owl on January 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM

They are pushing this at my niece’s and nephew’s schools as well. My niece is little! We call her ‘little bit’ as a shortening of her name Elizabeth, and is very tiny and athletic. She is worried about being fat, and she is in 2nd grade

cptacek on January 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM

…. If you don’t burn more calories than you take in you’ll gain weight. Simple as that, with the rare exception of glandular issues.

sage0925 on January 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Anytime I’ve put on weight, cutting calories (and exercising) has always worked. Though the older I get, it’s taking longer to lose weight.

Anyway, every few months, these studies keep coming out flip flopping on this subject.

One month, one study will say it’s not the calories, it’s what you’re eating (carbs or whatever), but then, another one will come out months after saying, “No, the ‘what’ is irrelevant, it’s calories/exercise that matter.”

Slight tangent (this is a pet peeve of mine):
how nutritionists and talking heads keep labeling certain foods as being dangerous or evil, especially when they flip flop years later to say, “We were wrong.”

I remember when butter was evil. But then years later, news reports were saying, no, butter is now fine, it has “good fats” in it that are beneficial. Eggs were bad at one point, now they’re saying those are actually good for you.

It gets to the point where the experts eliminate everything, so your only supposedly healthy choices are celery and tofu.

TigerPaw on January 5, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Night Owl on January 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I am sorry for your ordeal. With alot of these neurological and auto-immune disorders- doctors are just taking a stab in the dark. I was sick for years before I got doctors to take me seriously. I found out real quick that I knew more about my disease than most doctors.

You are very right, weight is lowest thing on my list to worry about. I hope you get well, and the doctors find the right treatment. I will keep you in my prayers.

melle1228 on January 5, 2012 at 1:27 AM

sage0925 on January 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Please watch the video I linked. 2nd law ofTD says nothing about why our bodies accumulate fat.

Carbs-insulin production-fat storage is the chain Of causalIty. The low fat fad is making us fat.

Bill C on January 5, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Voter from WA State

But…but…you’re advocating voluntary acts of free will which would mean personal responsibility.

Don’t you realize being fat, skinny, drunk, a victim of suicide, smoking too much, not eating enough, etc. are all “disorders” over which a person has no control?

Suffering the consequences of one’s own voluntary acts of free will is hard.

Of course, if you are psychotic or have a gun to your head, you have an exemption. Otherwise, you are responsible for your voluntary acts of free will.

The law does not recognize intoxication of whatever kind or “disorders” as a defense to committing a crime and never will.

Personal responsibility. I drank too much and too long. Quit – an voluntary act of free will on my part. I smoked. I quit. A voluntary act of free will. I am not fat or too skinny because I choose, of my own free will, not to eat too much or too little.

Why is personal responsibility for one’s own acts of free will such a complex issue for some? It is really quite simple. Voluntary act – consequences. Not hard at all.

Horace on January 5, 2012 at 2:02 AM

TigerPaw on January 5, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Hi there. Not to toot my own horn here, but I have a doctorate in nutrition, with an emphasis on alternative medicine. Every time one of these stupid diets come out, I could just tear my hair out. Atkins made me absolutely crazy. That had to be one of THE most unhealthy diets in existence. Moochelle’s plate thingie had me in a state of high irritation. I don’t get along with the ADA, as I simply cannot condone an agency who classifies ketchup as a vegetable in school lunches.

Simple fact…everything in moderation. Butter will clog your arteries…margarine can cause cancer. I use both…in small amounts. Stuff your face with huge amounts of anything…you’ll either get cancer or get fat. Exception being raw fruits and veggies, but living on that will give you weird nutritional deficiencies that make life really uncomfortable, not to mention having to have to move your bowels every five minutes. And it’s my firm belief, that until I see a human born without canine teeth (the bicuspids), we were not meant to be vegan!!!

*pulling hair out* It doesn’t take a damn doctorate to figure out how to eat healthy, people! And it doesn’t take more than one or two reference books to gain the knowledge how to do it!

But then again, if you want to live on junk food, go for it! While it’s still a semi-free country! Just remember that there are consequences to every action. And don’t expect ME to pay for your ObamaCare when you don’t do anything but watch bloody TV and stuff your face with McDonald’s every night!!!

*puff puff*

/rant off

sage0925 on January 5, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Obesity is a major health problem in the United States and getting worse every year.

Obesity is almost always due to lifestyle choices-a high calorie diet and minimal exercise.

Obese children can get diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnea in their teens! Do you really think misfeeding your child to the point where he has to wear CPAP isn’t a form of abuse?

I doubt these ads will help, but nothing else seems to be working.

talkingpoints on January 5, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I blame Bush.

hillbillyjim on January 5, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Bill C on January 5, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Bullsh!t. I suggest you look at just WHOM instituted/paid for those studies. My conclusions are based on personal experience, not to mention the multitude of books and articles I have read on the subject. Cut out ANY ONE of the food groups and you will lose weight. Fact. Cut out ANY ONE of the food groups, and you will have nutritional deficiency problems, the exception being fats. And even totally cutting out fats will eventually cause you problems. When I need to lose weight, I cut down on fats and meat…not ELIMINATE, but cut down, and increase exercise. And I don’t exercise to exhaustion…just an hour a day, three to four days a week does the trick.

You’ve obviously been brainwashed by the Atkins bunch. Have fun with that. Ever tried a aerobics/weight lifting regimen without carbs? Recipe for misery!

sage0925 on January 5, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Mom, why am I fat?

I chuckled…

I’m a terrible human being.

drewwerd on January 5, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Obese children are usually obese because their parents promote this lifestyle. They provide high calorie foods such as soda and french fries and let the children watch TV or play on the computer for hours. There are healthy options available at most fast food restaurants, but the parents don’t use them.talkingpoints on January 5, 2012 at 2:20 AM

You ain’t lyin’. Parents stuff their kids full of fast food, because it’s easier than cooking. They let their kids sit around and do nothing but TV/computer, cause it’s easier than having to supervise.

I see scads of children on crap like Ritalin, because the parents are to tired/lazy to fix them healthy meals that DON’T include white flour/refined sugars/fried foods. These people wonder why their kids have ADD, etc, but can’t be bothered to look at what the kids are shoving down their throats. Ever seen a kid chug a can of Coke on an empty stomach? Talk about a recipe for spaz from hell!

I’m grateful that I never liked sodas, cause I didn’t like the fizz. My husband is the same way. We eliminate a boatload of calories because we don’t like sodas. (Except for club soda and scotch…lol) Not to mention that refined sugars are hard on the liver and the kidneys.

sage0925 on January 5, 2012 at 2:39 AM

“TOO” tired/lazy…sorrry, pet peeve of mine…differences between tow, too and to.

sage0925 on January 5, 2012 at 3:11 AM

ack…two…too much ale.

sage0925 on January 5, 2012 at 3:12 AM

These ads say nothing about how it’s WRONG for people to tormet children simply for being fat. These ads are disgusting. They basically say, “yeah, fat kids are going to be depressed and treated badly, because that’s just the way life is and will always be.”

These ads are in VERY bad taste. They could have promoted healthy lifestyles and the harm of childhood obesity in a way that does not excuse poor treatment of fat children.

bluegill on January 5, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Adds to stop parents from having the kid fat. But are there add from stopping the kid from being gay? Of course not your born that way! If there was a medicine that doctors offered for you kid to have all fingers and toes, and not be gay. Would you pay the extra 5 bucks?

Gedge on January 5, 2012 at 5:40 AM

kim roy on January 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

It’s good you have it in order. Knowing the issues is most of the battle. Do take care of yourself as it’s hard to manage a chronic condition, no matter what it is, and sometimes the weariness of it will have you let down your guard and you don’t want it to be when it’s 105 outside!

It’s been a while since the relapse and it’s great you have family. They’re a great motivator to keep your stuff in order, especially your son. You have to stay around to make sure he votes republican.

kim roy on January 5, 2012 at 6:15 AM

I feel bad about your headline. Please correct it: Delete the -ly. This is a mistake I’m reading and hearing more often and it should not appear on an intelligent site like Hot Air. “Badly” is an adverb, which modifies a verb. Therefore, “to feel badly” means your sense of touch is out of whack. If you want us to know your sensibilities or psyche is wounded, then tell us you “feel bad.”

Thank you and have a good day.

winfield on January 5, 2012 at 6:16 AM

kim roy on January 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I hope to emulate my sister with my son.

cptacek on January 5, 2012 at 1:12 AM

That’s great! Nothing wrong with having them help out, although listening to some people it’s like the kids are slaves and maltreated.

Your sister sounds neat – three helpful boys that actually dealt with the pets. ;)

kim roy on January 5, 2012 at 6:20 AM

(snip)
SgtSVJones on January 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM

That’s pretty good. From what I can recall kids started getting locked inside and chauffeured around in the early 80s. Plus you had the woods to run around in – that’s great.

Did you ever jump off the roof of the garage? A bunch of us used to have contests on who wouldn’t get hurt. Can’t imagine that happening now. ;)

It seems things are really different now. Everyone has bubble wrap around them. In some cases it might be necessary, but it’s easy to see how kids can get fat or lose out on a lot of childhood.

kim roy on January 5, 2012 at 6:26 AM

This is absolutely sickening. They are stigmatizing these children.

Yeah, nothing like feeling worthless when you see a PSA on TV telling you and the world that fat kids are worthless.

We need some PSA’s out against liberals. “Hello. My name is Oliver. The things I believe him have caused a lot of harm in America. I have killed unborn babies. Pushed pornography onto our schools. Supported open borders. Stigmatized children, the poor and minorities. My ideas have increased crime a hundred fold, ruined economies and caused untold poverty and suffering to hundreds of millions.
My name is Oliver. I am a liberal.”

JellyToast on January 5, 2012 at 6:45 AM

I’ll tell you something else.. the government should not be in the business of telling us what the perfect body size, weight and fitness type should be.

This is not the function of government! It is disgusting, especially when they do this to children! The abuse here is coming from the people that took these kids and put them in front of a camera and told them “Your fat. You’ve been abused. Your no good! Now tell everybody on TV!”

I will be thinking about this all day long! It is just sickening! Those poor kids have been told they are worthless and inferior.

You see… this smacks of the “perfect race” thing. You can argue about it all you want, but it is. When the government comes out with a “perfect standard for it’s citizens” it just smacks of the perfect race crap! It is just another version of it!

Liberals take away recess from the schools, feminize our boys and then tell us that energetic and fidgety kids have a diagnosis. They are abnormal and need medications! Another stinking “they don’t fit the perfect mold!” They don’t fit some ideal that some government bureaucrat came up with! And now, it’s they’re pushing obesity! Who says they are obese?!

I have to go to work but this is sickening! It should outrage every American who sees it!

JellyToast on January 5, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Even the government is calling them freaks.

So are HotAir commentators in Meghan McCain threads (you know, Meggy Mac, that chick that, until her father lost the election, posters kept talking about how hot she is).

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 5, 2012 at 7:08 AM

JellyToast on January 5, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Just another brick in the wall of the big, totalitarian state we have been building for the past 100 years. My, but isn’t it a pretty thing?

swinia sutki on January 5, 2012 at 7:11 AM

While there’s NOTHING funny about bullying children, I do find it amusing that liberal busybodies are so out of touch with reality that they actually think they’re telling people something they don’t know. Even a chubby child is capable of recognizing that he’s chubby.

So… what nasty, hateful ads like this actually do is torment little fat kids to no good purpose. Heck, if I was a little fat kid, I’d be having a Pop Tart right now. lol
Passive aggressive?… yeah. But how else is a little kid going to give some faceless lib the bird?

Murf76 on January 5, 2012 at 7:24 AM

sage0925 on January 5, 2012 at 2:08 AM

This. IMO.

Cleombrotus on January 5, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Uhm…

This country does not have a smoking problem.
This country does not have a drinking problem.
This country does not have an obesity problem.

What this country has a problem with is leaving people the hell alone. Smoking and drinking of legal age and eating of any age is legal. For those not breaking the law, shut the hell up. To those who would make laws to regulate these behaviors, China or Russia might be a better residence.

How are we to live free if others dictate what we eat, drink or smoke?

TheBad on January 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM

The Winner.

fitzfong on January 5, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Where’s the ad for teenage anorexia?

stenwin77 on January 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I haven’t read anything here yet.
But I would like to say that there is no scientific PROOF there is an obesity epidemic in this world.
It is our skewed perception that this is happening.
Yes, I know, many of you, and others, will say things like “There are studies that show a rise in obesity”.
But to show such a thing, we really have to have a baseline from which to compare and we really don’t have one.
We have way more people in this world today. And along with that, we also have way more prosperity where many of those people have access to a lot more food than their ancestors had.
Fat on a particular person is half genetic.
So even if some folks diet and watch their caloric intake, exercise, etc., they may still have fat.
Bcs they’re supposed to have it.
Every ethnic group and person is different in the amount of fat they will accrue on their bodies.
Scientists really don’t know squat about all of this. They are just trying to begin to understand it.
There is always going to be fat people. You’re never going to be able to get rid of it. Many ‘fat’ people are not fat at all.
We need to get off of the obsession. It’s ridiculous.
And children often do get ‘fat’ as they grow up.
This really isn’t the time in their lives when we should make them diet. They need food while they’re growing.
I don’t think I need to point out, yes, some eat junk.
But it’s not nearly as many as you think.
Once again, perception.
Like when you obtain a certain item, and then suddenly, bcs you own one & your attention is called to it, you start seeing them everywhere.
Then you think there’s a rise in their distribution.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I have not read every comment here on this thread but, when I was a kid we played outside every day and could play at recess. Yeah there was junk food but for the most part we ate good things. There was no “protection” from hurting ourselves. Of course we were going to get hurt once in a while…there is a lesson there. For the life of me I cannot understand why people now a days want to keep kids from being active. If they would let them Play, they probably would not gain weight. Then again, as someone said, it could be genetic but that does not mean they are not healthy IMO.

chickie on January 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Here’s a thought: ignore the government guidelines about what to eat, because they obviously aren’t working. Feed your kids a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. Boom.

But yeah, stigmatizing little kids is a better idea because it makes us feel so good and superior.

dragonhawk on January 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

As scientific work regarding nutrition continues, I think we’ll see more of this.
And I mean real scientific work into nutrition.
Not this lame BS crap that gave us the worthless food pyramids, or whatever shape they’ve got for it now.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 7:47 AM

JellyToast on January 5, 2012 at 6:45 AM

I think you are on to something right there. I would donate to that cause.

Unexpected weight gain? It happened to me…have your thyroid checked…mine was kapute!

tinkerthinker on January 5, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Umm maybe they should stop subsidizing 9,900 CAFOs to the tune of over $10 billion which are pumped full of so much BS hormones oh and did I mention they wouldn’t be financially viable without these subsidies? interesting

demotheses on January 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM

The hormones put into animal feed have so far not been shown to do much of anything to humans consuming these animals.
However, as a rancher’s wife & part-time unpaid rancher myself, I will say that while I find some CAFOs cruel, not all of them are horrible places.
I do agree, there should be ZERO subsidies in agriculture.
I don’t get them.]
But if we farmed we would.
And ohhhh, you just cannot believe the money to be made out there gaming THAT system.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 7:53 AM

TheBad on January 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM

AMEN!!!

flytier on January 5, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Their theme song should have been- In the year 2525.

tinkerthinker on January 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM

While the harsh approach has proved effective in combating smoking…

[citation needed], as the hipsters say. I suspect the decline in smoking has more to do with economics (a pack of cigarettes costs, what, $10 now?) and logistics (the only place smokers can indulge is huddling outside in the rain like hobos around an oil-drum fire) than with all the idiotic neo-Temperance moralizing.

Fabozz on January 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

People have smoked & done other drugs for thousands of years & will continue to do so, no matter how well educated they are.
And guess what? The people who DO get things like lung cancer, well I am BETTING they have a genetic predisposition to it.
And some people get it no matter what they do.
Bcs of their genetics.
Genetics is going to show us eventually that it doesn’t matter what we do, some of us are still going to be able to smoke 20 packs a day & be healthy and some of us may just get a sniff of a burning ciggie and get lung cancer.
And that is it.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 8:01 AM

chickie on January 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM

When I was a kid, Mom used to lock the screen door behind us and tell us to stay outside. It’s not that easy anymore with our revolving door justice system that can’t keep perverts and criminals behind bars.

Murf76 on January 5, 2012 at 8:02 AM

You know I am right, but go ahead and flame on and say I am against your right to kill your child slowly because you have your liberties. So much for Right to Life and the Pursuit of Happiness.

JP1986UM on January 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Liberty is more important than trying to force a bad parent to become a better one.
Your bleeding heart for the chiiiildrennnn outs you friend.
Are you the health professional that takes a kid aside from the parent & grills them on whether they wear seat belts, or does mommy or daddy smoke in the car with you, and then calls social services on the parents right away?
Communities are what is needed to help parents become better parents.
Not the Federal Government.
And yes, liberty means choice and sometimes choices lead to an innocent person’s death.
But liberty is still more important.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Oddly contradicting when we consider that these ads are emerging as states are trying to adopt anti-bullying laws. These ads are targeted at the parents who will not be on the receiving end of the “it’s-OK-to-mock-the-fat-kids” at school. I’ve worked with obese children in a structured diet-exercise program, and I can tell you, these ads are way off the mark of helping the problem.

Mekei on January 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM

trying to shame people into changing their behavior doesn’t work well

humili mente on January 4, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I wonder if it’s ever right to shame kids. Adults, they should have a developed moral sense — it’s different for them. I can see shaming adults, which by the way is very rare. Where’s the PSA shaming adults who take public assistance when they could get by without it. That PSA will never happen.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Shame works. If you do it right.
Shame works quite well for people who are not inherently naughty and have a conscience.
Shame does not work well when you are dealing with someone with rotten character.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Who runs the.PSA. Like the annoying Truth ads, they never really inform but they always over dramatize the messages, how much does this social engineering cost? And even worst, are these obese child actors actual part of the SA guild?/s. I find the govt telling me how to raise my children offensive…typical chicken little noncrisis libs. Fat kids have it bad enough, but to single them out is awful. I hate PSA commercials.

ninjacoastie on January 5, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Mekei on January 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM

As a HS teacher, I am seeing this ant-bullying crusade coming to a head.
I have the unique opportunity to be teaching in 2 different schools in a rural community.
One has a bullying problem, the other doesn’t.
And it comes down to administration.
One has good leadership, the other is horribly incompetent.
You’ll never get rid of people being mean to each other.
It’s all in how you raise kids.
And even then, they’re still going to be mean to each other.
That’s where adults come in.
Watch a herd of horses or cows.
Or a bunch of dogs.
A pack of wolves.
What we often consider ‘bullying’ is nothing more than an instinctual desire to assert things like dominance.
I’m not saying we can’t do anything about it.
But going through life as one who was bullied in her younger days, I can tell you it has made me stronger & more able to deal with such things as an adult.
Some kids don’t do so well.
If they have a good community, they will do better.
But in the end, some people have problems handling anything.
We just can’t ‘fix’ everyone.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Reminds me of the old egg/drug commercial. This is a fat kid (kid on screen), this is why the kid is fat (shows fat parent), seen enough? How did that campaign go…has the war on drugs been a success?
Hasn’t it been shown that food for many fat people is like alcohol to an addict? They look in the mirror – see how fat they are – feel bad about themselves and turn to food for support. So….how are these horrid ads helpful? I saw no possitive support for those that *choose* to change.
When will the government and do gooders realize you can’t stop bad behavior – only personal responsibility changes behavior.

WiRichey on January 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Problem with these campaigns is they come from a mindset that obesity is a product of gluttony and sloth, rather than the content of our diets.

The problem is not willpower or a defect of character, it’s a lack of understanding about what causes obesity.

commodore on January 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Excellent.
And some people more than others crave those very foods that make them ‘fat’.
A craving is extremely hard to overcome bcs it’s biologically driven.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM

We just can’t ‘fix’ everyone.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 8:19 AM

That kind of talk will make you no friends in the nanny-state. It might even get you on a terror watch-list. Remember what the Sh*t-stain-In-Chief signed into law on Christmas eve. You won’t know what happened until the cage door slams behind you.
Coincidentally with this thread, I brought in a box of my wife’s chocolate-coated maple-walnut sugar bombs to share with co-workers this AM. They didn’t last long.

swinia sutki on January 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I think part of why these kids are so big is whatever the farmers are feeding the animals ,eather to make them grow faster or bigger. Are farmers feeding them steroids or vitamins? Makes ya wonder!

angrymike on January 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Please do not say such things when you are clearly ignorant of the subject.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I am convinced that Michelle Obama has an eating disorder, and is forcing her way of thinking on America.

As to “cptacek on January 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM” assertion that it’s the formula — I have 3 formula-fed kids who are no where near overweight.

When my kids were born, they were little bitty things. I had all kinds of doctors telling me that I should add oil & rice cereal to their formula to beef them up because “We like nice fat babies.” I refused. As long as my kids were gaining weight and meeting milestones I saw no reason to fatten them up just because they were small.

These same doctors who declare that they like “nice, fat babies” are the ones who tell you your toddler – that baby they wanted fattened up – is too fat and needs a diet.

thekytikat on January 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

And as a bonus, they medicate them too just to make sure they can’t do anything but sit around. The number of “ADD” diagnoses in this country is staggering and these parents that let this happed should be ashamed of themselves. Want the kid to not be hyper? Sign him up for sports, let him burn off that extra energy the natural way.

DangerHighVoltage on January 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Ugh. Don’t get me started on THIS.
I see this a LOT as a HS teacher.
Parents can’t handle parenting & so then want to drug their kids bcs he can’t get his HW done.
I have a student like this right now.
A 9th grade boy who has lousy parents who are never home & let him run around & do whatever.
They’re looking at putting him in Ridilin.
When in reality, he needs parents & consequences.
I can handle a kid with lots of energy & curiosity in the classroom.
Some teachers can’t. They shouldn’t be teaching.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Replace teen smoking with homosexual sex and the health problem with AIDS. Would this campaign EVER even been discussed much less executed?

LL

Lady Logician on January 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM

swinia sutki on January 5, 2012 at 7:11 AM

“Mother, did it have to be so high?”

tommyboy on January 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Some teachers can’t. They shouldn’t be teaching.

Badger40 on January 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM

You said that just to get a chuckle from the NEA, didn’t you?

Extrafishy on January 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM

melle1228 on January 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I take Prednisone too. I have since I was a child. I take a small dose every other day for maintenance. But when I have a flare, the higher doses are torture. At 3 year old (when I was diagnosed) I spent 3 wks in the hospital on high doses and gained quite a bit of weight from it. As a child I was “chubby”, no matter how much I played and exercised, and I was ALWAYS outside either roller skating, riding Big Wheels or bikes. Dawn to dusk in the summer. So laziness was never the issue with me.

JennM111 on January 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I was called “Twiggy” when I was a child. Those who are a little older will know that name referred to a very thin boy-like fashion model. I played sports in high school and college and teetered on anorexia most of that time. My body fat was 12%. The coach was thrilled. I also modeled for a while which kicked me into full blown anorexia.

When I became pregnant with my first child, I gained more weight than normal but my doctor kept telling me that was good because I was underweight before. I have had a weight problem ever since. I have to go below 1000 calories and workout six days a week to lose weight.

There is no maintainance of a healthy weight. I am always either gaining or losing. This is what genetics, peer pressure, unreal expectations and stress do to a person. This ad campaign is a horrible idea.

Fallon on January 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM

libfreeordie on January 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

chemman on January 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Exactly chemman. I recall when in the 80s, America was on a physical fitness rush, popular media culture poked fun at them for being too vain. Like in the movie “Perfect”. They decried models being too skinny. They ran stories about how obesity should be considered a disability. Now they b1tch because there’s a near epidemic of carrying more weight than is healthy?

I’m in the camp that America should get back into better shape. But guys like lib here just drive me crazy with their two-cents on the subject.

And for all of you libs thinking that Europe is somehow immune, think again. My observations abroad is that it’s happing in all cultures and regions.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I have a McDonald’s 1/2 block from our parking lot.
I go in there for fries…twice a month -if that.
*Starbucks is a different story-but we all have our vices.LoL*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM

“I have had a weight problem ever since. I have to go below 1000 calories and workout six days a week to lose weight.”

This reminds me of just how ridiculous the govt. weight standards are. At 52 years old, I lift weights 5 days a week, swim a mile four times a week and try to run about 15 miles a week. I have six pack abs and try to maintain an athlete’s diet. According to federal standards based on my hight and weight I am two pounds from being “obese”. As it is I am merely considered “severely overweight”.

tommyboy on January 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Fallon on January 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM

All I can say is that I come from a family that seems by habits or genetics to be predisposed to being heavier at about mid-life. I really don’t know what I believe it is.

For myself, I stay relatively slender by keeping apprised of my tends. Whenever I see the trend creep up, I exercise more and further limit caloric intake. Once I’ve moved in an upward direction without action it’s always more difficult to to return to target weights. I think the hardest thing is that the tends don’t always make clear sense. Over this holiday season, I have really tried to not over celebrate but have tended up a couple. So, whether it seems fair or not the scale doesn’t lie and I’ve got to adjust.

I try to not be paranoid considering my family but I do have to work at it hard. The results are their own reward.

hawkdriver on January 5, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Fallon on January 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I was under-weight when I got pregnant and gained all of 35 Lbs during it. Since my OBs rotated my chart said-in HUGE letters ‘History of Eating Disorders’.
In my 7th month I ended up with an(she was the one who later delivered Spawn) who seemingly didn’t READ my chart and right out of the gate informed me that I had gain a little too much weight for my short stature.
I left my appointment wanting to into full starvation mode.
Actually-I loved being pregnant..
I was eating well, gaining weight…and everyone thought I was beautiful.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM