New PSA: You should feel very, very badly about your obese child, you know

posted at 10:16 pm on January 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart TV, the controversy du jour. When I first watched the clip, I thought their strategy was to discourage overeating by simply depressing the viewer until he/she has no appetite left. But no, they’re going for something different. I’m just … not sure what.

Critics say the ads will further ostracize children such as Tina. In posts on the Strong4Life Facebook page, they accuse the campaign of building a “climate of hate.”…

But the disagreements arise when it comes to the central question: Will the ads work? While the harsh approach has proved effective in combating smoking, research has found that making people feel badly about their weight doesn’t work as an agent of change, Davis said.

“I guess it depends on what we want to do with these ads,” she said. “If we want to get attention to say obesity is a problem, maybe they will be effective. In terms of the social stigma about weight — it might actually make people feel worse about that.”

It might be more effective, Davis said, to highlight behaviors that lead to obesity and offer help to those who want to change. “We need to fight obesity,” she said, “not obese people.”

Yeah, not a lot of constructive tips here beyond “your child will be despised if you let them look like this.” The spots are arresting, though, insofar as they’re off the beaten path of reassuring insecure kids that they’re wonderful as is. The spots have to be that way — they’re addressing a health problem, after all — but obesity is one of those conditions in which behavior and identity begin to blur, so the usual “love yourself for who you are” message is implicated. Imagine how different the vibe would be for an ad opposing, say, teen smoking. Exit question: Second look at banning Happy Meals?

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Love,

Michelle Obama

Good Lt on January 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Meanwhile…we have all these fat lawmakers!

KOOLAID2 on January 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I’ve never seen a single PSA I didn’t find to be condescending and offesnive. People can waste their money in whatever way they want on stupid ads like this as long as taxpayer money isn’t being used to fund them. It’s not clear whether that’s the case here.

updog on January 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

This is Michelle Obama’s issue. I just saw a let’s move (something like that) PSA on ESPN that features MO talking about teamwork and then shooting some hoops. Ya know, it’s hard to respect or heed the advice of someone who needs to practice what they preach. IYKWIMAITYD.

conservative pilgrim on January 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Parents should be ashamed.

moochy on January 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

They would do better to let Gary Taubes make some PSAs that would actually address the problem and give a solution that works.

Laura Curtis on January 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

The print ads aren’t bad, but I’m not wild about the video.

Of course, if peopel want their kids ot be anorexic skinny, all they havge to do is show the comment threads for posts about Megan McCain. After all, if a woman who’s just a little be over weight (with huge t!ts that als make her look bigger than she actually is) is A HUUUUUUUGE WHALE that OBVIOUSLY east 20 burgers a day, then imagine just how skinny a girl thinks she has to get to look “normal”.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Yup, let’s make them neurotic too. Always helps the fat kids.

katy the mean old lady on January 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Exit question: Second look at banning Happy Meals?

Out of my dead, cold, chubby hands.

ZGMF_Freedom on January 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM

The print ads aren’t bad, but I’m not wild about the video.

Of course, if peopel want their kids ot be anorexic skinny, all they havge to do is show the comment threads for posts about Megan McCain. After all, if a woman who’s just a little be over weight (with huge t$ts that als make her look bigger than she actually is) is A HUUUUUUUGE WHALE that OBVIOUSLY east 20 burgers a day, then imagine just how skinny a girl thinks she has to get to look “normal”.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Yes, but no one likes skinny, know-it-all twits, either. With that, I think I’m off to have some homemade bread pudding. And extra caramel sauce :)

Pancho on January 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Well, Charles Barkley is doing Weight Watchers now. So there’s that.

conservative pilgrim on January 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM

“I eat because I’m unhappy, and I’m unhappy because I eat. It’s a vicious cycle” -Fat Bastard

RizzyG on January 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Pretty sad seeing little 2-6 year old kids with rolls of fat at the kiddie splashpads.

That falls on irresponsible parenting…no excuse for it.

Pablo Honey on January 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

“Being fat takes the fun out of being a kid”

Back in my day…
Being a kid took the fat out of you.

Times have changed.

Michelle…you are our only hope..!!!!!

Electrongod on January 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Exit question: Second look at banning Happy Meals?

Only in Georgia.

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Yeah, fat kids sure don’t get enough hate and shame at school, and often at home.

Here’s a thought: ignore the government guidelines about what to eat, because they obviously aren’t working. Feed your kids a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. Boom.

But yeah, stigmatizing little kids is a better idea because it makes us feel so good and superior.

dragonhawk on January 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

How about we just, you know, let kids run around and be kids. The nanny staters and helicopter parents take away recess, take away gym, take away any chance for outdoor play because some kid might *oh noes* get hurt.

They don’t let the kids do anything else but sit around all day long, and then they wonder why some kids get fat.

/And as a bonus, they medicate them too just to make sure they can’t do anything but sit around. The number of “ADD” diagnoses in this country is staggering and these parents that let this happed should be ashamed of themselves. Want the kid to not be hyper? Sign him up for sports, let him burn off that extra energy the natural way.

DangerHighVoltage on January 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Electrongod on January 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Remember when there was recess?

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I’ve battled an eating disorder(exercise addiction mostly) since I was 15 going on 16 and Spawn is 6’0 and weighs a portly 135.
Mooochelle and her merry band of nannystaters can bite me.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

How would you like to be the kids in this ad? I think the barely choked-back tears are real, and come from the fact that their parents were willing to subject them to ACTUAL ridicule from their peers to make a few bucks.

updog on January 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

What they are going for is control of your kids .
That’s it , no big mystery here .

Lucano on January 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I had a hard time hearing Meggie Mac during the clip this morning, what with all the cheeseburgers falling out of her mouth…

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I don’t wanna be cruel, but how about stopping the video games for a bit and go the eff outside and toss around a football or something?

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Remember when there was recess?

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Yep.
And there was my parents that had this rule…
5 hours of TV per week. Spend it wisely.
I had nothing else to do by play and run outside…
I was so bummed

Electrongod on January 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I knew our success as a country would catch up to us sooner or later.

ButterflyDragon on January 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Put Michelle Obama on it. Oh wait, that won’t work. She’s gained several pounds these last three years as First Lady.

I wonder if it has been all those cheeseburgers and fries she gobbles when she thinks her subjects aren’t looking.

Sparky5253 on January 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

While the harsh approach has proved effective in combating smoking,

Maybe, but it took decades of big media dollars, coupled with federal warnings on the packs and in the product ads, plus decades more of public-service advertising from the cancer and heart folks to move the needle.

bgoldman on January 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Just setting the stage for ObamaCare to intrude into your family life as much as possible.

“Oh, you didn’t know that we can deny you care if your child is overweight? Why yes we can, so get out.”

See? Look at all those cost savings just like PBHO promised.

Bishop on January 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

GRAMMAR NAZI ALERT

New PSA: You should feel very, very badly about your obese child, you know

POSTED AT 10:16 PM ON JANUARY 4, 2012 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

If you “feel badly”, you are having difficulty feeling; if you are experiencing emotional distress, you “feel bad”.

That is all.

M240H on January 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM

The assumption that ony “fat” kids sit indoors all day playing videogames. I guess the way linebackers train is the play videogames all day. They don’t go outside at all:- P

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM

They might want to change the tag line (“stop sugar coating it”). I have a big sweet tooth, and every time I see that, it makes me want to reach for a Twinkie or a cookie.

The ads seem a little depressing. I can especially imagine a kid with a weight problem seeing these and feeling bad. I realize these videos are aimed at the parents, but kids might seem them too.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Speaking of ridiculous views about what constitutes being fat…

I was at another site awhile ago where people were discussing dating and such, and one guy actually said he thinks that women who are ten pounds overweight are “fat.”

I’m not sure of his age, but he seemed to be in his 20s. I at first thought he was joking, but he kept on that kick for a week or two, and I think he was serious.

TigerPaw on January 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I could swear I heard something about someone saying a certain someone else had a big tuchus and created a skate park when she sat down on some wet cement.

Did I hear that right?

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I have a couple of links to throw into the mix. Robert Avrech has a video of one of Michelle’s “Let’s Move” ads in which the mom lies to her daughter about where her wallet is to get the daughter to exercise.

As you will see the message of the Let’s Move commercial is quite simple: Lying to your children is fine because, y’know, it’s good for them.

Health above truth.

Let’s Move should be retitled Let’s Lie.

When will Liberals learn that social engineering is not just ineffective but evil?

In a sense, we’re glad these commercials are out there. It serves as a wake-up call that Liberal ideology justifies the use of lies and manipulation. This insidious mindset pervades the ageing 60′s idealogues’ views of child rearing. It’s a deceitful approach that sabotages good parenting, which must be based on trust and mutual respect. Instead of a relationship built upon integrity these health autocrats encourage us to manipulate and lie to our children.

He has some other good points about the Left and their “vision of the anointed.”

INC on January 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Umm maybe they should stop subsidizing 9,900 CAFOs to the tune of over $10 billion which are pumped full of so much BS hormones oh and did I mention they wouldn’t be financially viable without these subsidies? interesting

demotheses on January 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Sparky5253 on January 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Bring me Solo and the Wookee!

DangerHighVoltage on January 4, 2012 at 10:34 PM

While the harsh approach has proved effective in combating smoking,

They’re going to start banning fat people from public eateries and the like? They’re going to start charging them exhorbitant “taxes” just because they’re fat … to pay for the health care of poor, skinny kids?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM

As a former fat kid, I feel for these kids. These overweight kids are becoming more and more the norm as their parents become larger and larger. But ad campaigns like this arent going to fix it, the government cant fix it, parents need to step up and fix it especially those in minority communities where obesity is hitting them worst of anyone.

nswider on January 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM

No no, fat people will still be able to enter the restaurant but they must go outside and huddle together when they want to eat.

Bishop on January 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM

TigerPaw on January 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

He’s clearly been turned down many times by various women, and is bitter.

blatantblue on January 4, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Paging Micheal Moore,your wanted by the Excessive Weight Czar
herr FatNazi’s,please report ASAP,to weight Loss Camp,in Sec
tion B!!
(snark)

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I was a fat kid and my heart just breaks for these kids. To be trotted out by libs so they can tell the world they’re fat… wow.

Seriously. I knew I was fat and hated myself for it. I feel sorry for chubby kids these days. Even the government is calling them freaks. I was close to doing something bad without the government sanctioned taunting.

And heaven forbid some little girl gets a body image from this. I guess worrying about eating disorders isn’t in vogue these days.

Ampersand on January 4, 2012 at 10:40 PM

updog on January 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Amen.

Jurgis Rudkus on January 4, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Second look at banning Happy Meals?

Will not stop the underlying problem.

Seriously…
When I was a kid in the early…..70′s..
I had no time to gain weight. With my parents keeping me busy with chores…
Me mowing lawns with a push mower to make some money to buy a car….
School and all the bullies that I had to keep at bay…./

I understand that today there are a lot more distractions…playstations, internet….McDonald’s???
McDonald’s existed when I was a kid..
Life style and how it is imprinted.
That responsibility belongs to….????

Electrongod on January 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM

That last part, of the kid sitting across from his mom asking why he was fat hearkened me back to the heyday of this type of nonsense.

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Bishop on January 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Heh. Yep.

At least for my future smoke breaks, I’ll be able to be shielded by a fat person on windy days … Relief, at last.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM

What are they going for? SHAME.

And it’s about damn time.

jhffmn on January 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Remember when there was recess?

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

And stay-at-home moms who sent their kids out to play?

Connie on January 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

While the harsh approach has proved effective in combating smoking…

[citation needed], as the hipsters say. I suspect the decline in smoking has more to do with economics (a pack of cigarettes costs, what, $10 now?) and logistics (the only place smokers can indulge is huddling outside in the rain like hobos around an oil-drum fire) than with all the idiotic neo-Temperance moralizing.

Fabozz on January 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

If I must pay the for healthcare of the fat little blighters under Obamacare, may I not at least have the pleasure of chasing them about the park with my automobile? Once a week would suffice.

M240H on January 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Simple answer:

20 sit ups before you can touch your X-box.

10 push ups before you are allowed to look at any TV.

25 jumping jacks or no cell phone use.

And when they ask for a snack:

Here’s a sliced carrot, some peanut butter and a glass of water instead of three twinkies and a jug of orange soda.

profitsbeard on January 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Great ad.

John the Libertarian on January 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Paging Trumka,Barney Frank,and UnionGoonions
please report to Camp “Bang your Drums All Day”

at location A,by herr order of the Supreme Weight
Loss Czar!
(snark)

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Dear strong4life.com

The entire continent of Africa would like to say f*ck you and your 1st world problems.

Ampersand on January 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

In the future, only Democrats will be allowed to be fat. Some Independents will be allowed extra calories if they belong to the Obama Whaler’s Club.

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

They came for the smokers and I said nothing. They came for the fatties, etc.

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM

While the harsh approach has proved effective in combating smoking,

bgoldman on January 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM

There has been similar success in the campaign against drunk driving. But these were long-term, mutlifaceted commitments — given the cynical glee with which me and my buddies greeted all anti-drug PSAs, I am not sure how effective this might be.

Of course, a parent has a lot more control over their kid’s eating — and weigh patterns are set early on — than over a teen’s pot smoking.

urban elitist on January 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM

What? Another thread about McCain’s daughter?

KOOLAID2 on January 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Maybe we should stop subsidizing the breakfast , lunch , dinner and snacks
at school .
It’s all about control .

Lucano on January 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM

So,its War on the State of Georgia!!

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Paging Trumka,Barney Frank,and UnionGoonions
please report to Camp “Bang your Drums All Day”

at location A,by herr order of the Supreme Weight
Loss Czar!
(snark)

canopfor on January 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Nightmarish images of Bawney, moobs,…

*SHUDDER!*

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM

You could also question the private lives of those behind the ads and even of Michelle Obama, their choices, their attitudes, their faults, their ugly side.

With all the ignorance in the world, is keeping a tight control on what our children eat really at the top of the list of stuff we need to focus on? Love, kindness, understanding, patience … cultivating those qualities is trumped by stopping overeating?

If you ask me, those behind these ads are ghouls.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Ampersand on January 4, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Read my comment above.
I started my first ‘official’ diet either March 31 or April 1 1986…and it was off to the races. After all these years I’m doing better-but you never totally get rid of it. If I want to go to a restaurant that lists nutritional info on the menu/menu board I go with someone…so they can read it to me so I don’t possibly get triggered and starve myself the next day as ‘punishment’ for being ‘fat’.
I’m not a victim-just sharing.
Spawn started to go down that route but got over it quick.
I’m thankful that my son is a bottomless pit-who just happens to be naturally slim.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Great ad.

John the Libertarian on January 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I’ve done two ‘residentials’ for exercise addiction/diet pill addiction. The flip side to that vile ad isn’t good for kids either.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Being a lazy and apathetic parent = individual liberty and freedom!!
nice_poltergeist on January 4, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Now you have it!

Bishop on January 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

If you ask me, those behind these ads are ghouls.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM

The only cause I can somewhat get behind is Michelle’s campaign against childhood obesity. I hate her tactics, her overreach, her bullying, and I hate seeing apple slices forced on Happy Meals. But the aim is worthy enough. These kids suffer humiliation and ridicule each and every day they have to go to school. Sign them up for soccer ASAP.

John the Libertarian on January 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

It’s important to realize that these ads are aimed at the PARENTS. It’s the parents that they are aiming to emotionally impact.

mydh12 on January 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Obama should double down on its big goverment solution and make fat camps obligatory.

nathor on January 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM

The flip side to that vile ad isn’t good for kids either.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Agreed. But I’ve understood eating disorders to be a symptom of control issues, and somewhat wed to other personality disorders, the cause of which are diffuse and mysterious. I’m not saying to force them thin. Just sign them up for soccer and try as a parent to be a good role model.

John the Libertarian on January 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I treated 3 kids this week who were overweight and obese. In that category. I don’t blame the kids, like the ad, I blame the parents. And I unloaded on one of them for having the balls to talk back to me about it feeding her kid loads of unhealthy food because she was just too bothered to cook. Sorry, then don’t have kids, but don’t torture your child to death either. Don’t force them by choice of your own laziness and ignorance to be subjected to derision and insults because you don’t find it important enough to create a more positive environment and healthy food around the house and instead give them chips and 12oz cans of white sugar disguised as Mountain Dew (which btw, dissolves a mouse in 3 days….heard that one in a conference recently….ewww).

Very few kids have a genetic predisposition to obesity. Mostly its Xbox and MTV along with Frito Lay.

You know I am right, but go ahead and flame on and say I am against your right to kill your child slowly because you have your liberties. So much for Right to Life and the Pursuit of Happiness.

JP1986UM on January 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

But its perfectly acceptable to have your kids grow up to be dishonest, lazy, promiscuous, arrogant, selfish boors, who are inable to take responsibility for their own actions.

KMC1 on January 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

As a former fat kid, I have to say that I really wish my parents had tried to help me lose weight.

But it’s certainly none of the government’s business.

Kohath on January 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Parents, start going to the gym. And from day one, bring your kids.

Stop acting as though your own sedentary lifestyle, that you may not have adopted until your 20s or 30s (when you had kids is a distinct possibility), doesn’t rub off on your children.

I know I sound incredibly condemnatory, but my son is 3, and all he wants to do is run, because that’s what Mommy does, and do push ups and pull ups, because that’s what he sees Daddy do around the house.

I suppose he might want to do these things if he just saw Mommy & Daddy sit around all day and do nothing, but I kind of doubt it.

Sgt Steve on January 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Being fat liberal takes the fun out of life.

RINO in Name Only on January 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM

JP1986UM on January 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

The reasons kids are fat are probably very deep and systemic. You’re putting lipstick on a pig if you think controlling their diet will deal with those underlying problems.

By the way … I consider the PSA as being a bad case of “the ends justifying the means”.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Those Just Say No To Drugs efforts have really paid off, when you stop and think about it. They scare the hell out of the Mexican cartels.:)

a capella on January 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

KMC1 on January 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

As long as they’re slim, because if you’re fat, then people pick on you, and you become unhappy.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

It’s not just parents. It’s technology, too.
This generation of kids knows little or nothing about kick-the-can, tag, hide-and-seek, jump-rope, smear-the-queer (a variation of football), king-of-the-hill, or actually playing football/basketball/baseball instead of watching it (except for 2 or 3 hours per week of school P.E.).
So kids stare at TV screens, computer screens, & cell phone screens all day every day.

itsnotaboutme on January 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Same mistake the anti-smoking crowd makes; trying to shame people into changing their behavior doesn’t work well, especially if their behavior is perfectly legal.

Instead of trying to embarrass the parents of obese children (and, by extension, the children themselves), these types of ads should focus on making people excited about losing weight and getting in shape. Talk about the health benefits. Talk about the future savings you and your family will enjoy thanks to not having to worry about obesity-related illnesses and issues. Focus on that stuff. Trying to shame and embarrass people just makes them more resistant, IMO. It comes off as semi-dictatorial even if that isn’t how it’s intended.

humili mente on January 4, 2012 at 11:06 PM

trying to shame people into changing their behavior doesn’t work well

humili mente on January 4, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I wonder if it’s ever right to shame kids. Adults, they should have a developed moral sense — it’s different for them. I can see shaming adults, which by the way is very rare. Where’s the PSA shaming adults who take public assistance when they could get by without it. That PSA will never happen.

Paul-Cincy on January 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Remember when there was recess?

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Why bother having recess when the school won’t let you play any games or keep any sort of score?

The lefties have worked so hard to kill kids’ sports and competition. They succeeded. Now, they want to pervert more of our society to take care of the effects of their actions. You’ve gotta love the left. Really. Despicable, lying scumbags, they are – to an America-hating twerp.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Problem with these campaigns is they come from a mindset that obesity is a product of gluttony and sloth, rather than the content of our diets.

The problem is not willpower or a defect of character, it’s a lack of understanding about what causes obesity.

commodore on January 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM

nswider on January 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Based on who they vote into office I would say that millions and millions of Lefties strongly disagree.

visions on January 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Second look at banning Happy Meals?

Will not stop the underlying problem.

Seriously…
When I was a kid in the early…..70′s..
I had no time to gain weight. With my parents keeping me busy with chores…
Me mowing lawns with a push mower to make some money to buy a car….
School and all the bullies that I had to keep at bay…./

McDonald’s existed when I was a kid..
Life style and how it is imprinted.
That responsibility belongs to….????

Electrongod on January 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM

We must be about the same age. I remember during summer going outside in the morning and told to come back at dinner. A bunch of us neighborhood kids would be running around without parental guidance. After dinner we’d be told we were expected back when it got dark.

I remember spending lots of hours doing yardwork and dishes, etc. I speak with people with kids 8+ complaining about having to do household work and I ask “you have kids, right”. “Yes”. “Isn’t that what kids are for – doing scut work at home”? Polite cough ensues.

Is it time yet to talk about walking to/from school in 10 foot snow uphills both ways yet?

kim roy on January 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

The lefties have worked so hard to kill kids’ sports and competition.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Their effort is an abysmal failure. The boys I know in “everyone wins” soccer count up the goals and know EXACTLY who won and lost, and my daughter can’t stop trying to achieve and be better than anyone else on the basketball court.

John the Libertarian on January 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Dear strong4life.com

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah burp.

Yours truly!
Liberal4life

KOOLAID2 on January 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Women eating high carb, insulating-producing foods while pregnant DOES damage the metabolism of their children, and aids in predisposing them to obesity.

Women should eat a healthier, lower carb, higher fat (including saturated fad and omega 3) diet during pregnancy, and probably always.

This isn’t to blame women: I blame the government for promoting a horrific, obesity-and-diabetes causing low fat, low cholesterol diet.

Just sayin’.

Random on January 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

kim roy on January 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Because I don’t drive and consider taking bus a waste of cash I walk-EVERYWHERE. Work is around 5 1/2 miles away and just doing errands today gave me around 6+ miles on my feet.
I get off work after dark so husband picks me up-but if he’s at work or whatever my ability to walk long distances gives me a sense of independence. My son-though a driver-can also walk long distances. Both of us are veteran half-marathoners.
It makes me feel good to know that I’m in better shape than some that are half my age.
The downside to all the walking is that it takes a toll-and sooner or later I’ll have to start limiting the miles. That’s something I dread.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Just sayin’.

Random on January 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Just say No to Carbs.

John the Libertarian on January 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM

This country is full of fat fatties. Anyone arriving from an extended trip overseas can immediately see the dramatic difference between an average European population and the American one. It’s embarrassing.

I for one think Moochelle is on track with her concern about our obese fellow Americans.

Unfortunately for her, she should be looking at her husband because it is government policy that has been instrumental in making processed foods, corn syrup laden sodas, antibiotic filled cows and the meat they produce – so damned cheap.

Economics is the main reason why our population is obese, and our government is the culprit in setting the table. Ironic that the government thinks it can solve the problem.

In any case….we do have an obesity problem and in light of the fact government will keep lciking the corporate boot and subsidize cheap corn etc..etc.. some public re-education is probably the only option.

rickyricardo on January 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM

[Sparky5253 on January 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM ]

That’s “Her Excellency” to you.

Dusty on January 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM

What they are going for is control of your kids .
That’s it , no big mystery here .

100% Correct.

These people are barely disguising their desire to have us all in camps.

Jocon307 on January 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM

When I was a child me and my father would fight over who was getting the chicken legs out of, soup, kfc, and when my mother would make fried. Does anyone remember how small the legs were back then? Now you see these huge legs all the time. I think part of why these kids are so big is whatever the farmers are feeding the animals ,eather to make them grow faster or bigger. Are farmers feeding them steroids or vitamins? Makes ya wonder!

angrymike on January 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM

very effective ads, they’re creepy! but yeah this will make overweight kids feel worse. i don’t like these ads. (even though i have never been overweight) btw i don’t like the ads using the word “fat.” it’s just a rude thing to call someone.

DangerHighVoltage on January 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

i love this comment!!

Sachiko on January 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM

rickyricardo on January 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I have had an eating disorder for going on TWENTY SIX years. How’s about the nannystate leave people alone to actually enjoy eating. I’d love to learn how to do that.
I’m not obese. Spawn isn’t obese. Husband is-but so what.
Hey Moooochelle-MYOB!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Megmac isn’t fat becausemshe is chesty. She’s fat because she’s fat. She has a huge gut and padding all over and she isn’t even out of her early twenties, and has no kids. She’s heavy, get over it. My own kid is heavy- and only college aged. His dad and I aren’t heavy. I trend towards underweight most of the time. I’m guessing it’s genetic.

SarahW on January 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Great ad.

John the Libertarian on January 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

yeah. Uhh, wait, what?

Do you realize the absolute irony of that statement when juxtaposed with your moniker?

AZfederalist on January 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Right jobless welfare recipients collecting food stamps. You do the math!

sonnyspats1 on January 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Uhm…

This country does not have a smoking problem.
This country does not have a drinking problem.
This country does not have an obesity problem.

What this country has a problem with is leaving people the hell alone. Smoking and drinking of legal age and eating of any age is legal. For those not breaking the law, shut the hell up. To those who would make laws to regulate these behaviors, China or Russia might be a better residence.

How are we to live free if others dictate what we eat, drink or smoke?

TheBad on January 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM