Meghan McCain: If Santorum wins the nomination, it will be bedlam like you’ve never seen

posted at 3:15 pm on January 4, 2012 by Tina Korbe

With the help of a few friends on Twitter, I’ve been making a list of people I turn to for infallibly insightful political analysis, and, so far, it goes a little something like this: Alec Baldwin, Matt Damon, Michael Moore and Kelly Clarkson. Add to that … Meghan McCain. Here she is again, on the possibility of an actual Rick Santorum nomination.

“It will be bedlam and hysteria like you’ve never seen,” she says. Bedlam and hysteria? Really? It would rock the Republican Party that much to nominate someone other than the pre-ordained candidate?

To be fair, McCain’s comments on the path to the nomination for Romney make sense to me. He didn’t shine as brilliantly in Iowa as he might have had he decided to make the state a priority sooner than December, but he did what he needed to do last night — and it will likely be a smooth path to the nomination for him from this point. (Then again, in politics, you never know!) She’s also right that the Iowa caucuses aren’t determinative (as she put it, “they’re irrelevant”).

But when she references her father’s path to the nomination, she instantly loses points. What she seems never to have realized — and what, I think, makes her so aggravating to conservatives — is that plenty of Republicans look at 2008 and regret their nomination of John McCain. In large part, the stiff opposition to Romney stems as much from the fear of repeating the mistake the GOP made in 2008 — the mistake of nominating “the next in line” even when that “next in line” espouses troublesome views and hasn’t proved himself a particularly adept campaigner. For what it’s worth, Romney was to the right of John McCain in 2008 and he remains to the right of John McCain in 2012. In between 2008 and 2012, Congress passed and the president signed Obamacare. That makes Romney’s support of Romneycare even more problematic now than it was in 2008 — but, at the same time, it makes Obama’s support for Obamacare more problematic than it was in 2008. Romney will at least be able to capitalize on the primacy of economic issues in this election. Long story short: Romney would surely do better in a race against Obama than McCain did — but support for him from former McCain supporters doesn’t help to make that case.

On that note, John McCain himself has now endorsed Romney. Delightful.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Oh, good, I was waiting for Meghan McCain to weigh in on this. Now I know what to think.

The Rogue Tomato on January 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Tina and Meghan sex party?

davemason2k on January 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

The derp is strong with this one….

cajun carrot on January 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I wish she would get a real job.Something where I would never have to see or hear her ever again.

poljunkie51 on January 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Contessa Brewer wants to know if Maggie has a degree in Political Science.

BacaDog on January 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM

They going to turn Meghan loose in a Dunkin Donuts??

Southernblogger on January 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Tina, did Allah know you were pulling this post out from under him?

somewhatconcerned on January 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I hope she’s right. Because bedlam is EXACTLY what we need.

michaelo on January 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I will admit that I am really disheartened at McCain’s enforcement. I really hate the old fart and will be more than happy to do my part to vote against him whenever possible.

I would have much rather had McCain not endorse anyone. His support isn’t worth the baggage it comes with.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM

It will be bedlam and hysteria like you’ve never seen

Translation: T. Coddington Van Vorhees III declines to endorse the Republican nominee.

fiatboomer on January 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM

portlandon on January 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Well we have seen the OWS crowds, so I doubt there could be more bedlam and mayhem than we have seen before.

txmomof6 on January 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Contessa Brewer wants to know if Maggie has a degree in Political Science.

BacaDog on January 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Heh. Good one.

SlaveDog on January 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM

megan IS her daddies girl isn’t she?
L

letget on January 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Why even make a post out of this?

Her, Mahar, Chris Matthews, etc., would they even exist without conservative blogs and Fox News hanging on their every word?

Ignore them. They are irrelevant.

NoDonkey on January 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Why do we give idiots (celebrities & the likes of Meghan McCain) legitimacy by talking about their political statements?

Deep Thought on January 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Miss Blonde Joke has the relevance of a box of rocks. Her opinions are so baseless that it is amazing we have to endure them on The Blaze.

volsense on January 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

(Insert fat joke here)

portlandon on January 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Bedlam and hysteria?

Is that because “liberals” will be running around screaming?

darwin on January 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

The Rogue Tomato on January 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

WEIGH IN. I get it.

Seriously, I’m not sure who I hate most. MM or DWS?

jpmotu on January 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE – why does this complete idiot get any publicity??? Can anyone explain it?
And now she’s wearing the same helmet that Callista Gingrich wears.
MEGAN – Go away………..

IlonaE on January 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Romney People:

Megan McCain is your guy’s spokesperson. Isn’t that alone to make you at least rethink your support? I’m only 1/2 kidding.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Oh, good, I was waiting for Meghan McCain to weigh in…

The Rogue Tomato on January 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Yeah, me too. What’s she up to these days? 200?

If it were not for conservative blogs making fun of this Valley Girl, she would eventually fade away into obscurity where she belongs.

Robert Jensen on January 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Funniest thing I’ve heard Rush say in awhile today (paraphrase):

“So we’re to listen to the guy who couldn’t beat Obama when he endorses the guy who couldn’t even beat him [McCain]?”

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I was furious when Dole won it. We were told that he had earned his shot at running because he had been such a good Republican for so many years. Screw that! No one earns the nomination, the people decide. He was a good rep, but not a good conservative and lost to Clinton. What did we do to deserve another 4 years of Clinton? We got stuck with the choice of far left Clinton or milk toast Dole. As expected, people didn’t rush out for Dole and he lost, not to mention Perot didn’t exactly help either.

jeffn21 on January 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Just read that Santorum has advocated outlawing contraception. That ain’t gonna fly with most voters.

JA on January 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Well… at least her hair looks nice.

Abby Adams on January 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

The only question left it, how does Meghan McCain’s nephew feel about it?

The Rogue Tomato on January 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Cats and dogs, living together – total chaos!

Someday, Pundit Spice may wake up and realize that the people who like her best are liberals, and realize that she’s nothing more than a useful idiot.

Laura Curtis on January 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

And what did she do to get ready for her interview on MSDNC?

she ran a lot of miles

….. and ate a lot of little chocolate donuts

lm10001 on January 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Kelly Clarkson said she supported Ron Paul on Twitter – hardly makes her worth mentioning in this business.

The only time I hear about MM is at HA, which is funny for multiple reasons, the primary of which being that it’s a perfect place to enjoy the peanutbutter/chocolate combo of fat/blond puns – I’ll wait to get the skinny from AP before deciding whether or not MM’s observation is actually a weighty matter, or just so much more blubbering.

King B on January 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

John McCain’ 2008 Mitt Romney ads:

John McCain tried to scrub these from YouTube but many people had already re-uploaded them

tetriskid on January 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

(Insert fat joke here)

portlandon on January 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Ok, here we go.
Q: What does a fat chick and a brick have in common?
A: They’ll both eventually be laid by a Mexican.

jpmotu on January 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Almost as bad as the time Drew Barrymore was on Oprah telling the audience Bush was going to force girls to have babies instead of having abortions.

Cameron Diaz was sitting beside her nodding her head vigorously in agreement.

Oprah of course played along by looking like a crab just crawled up her ass.

darwin on January 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

From Operation Chaos to Operation Bedlam(obscure James Bond reference for those in the know)?

Doughboy on January 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Translation: Santorum actually believes all that “conservative crap.”

RBMN on January 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Megan should just make clear she is a Democrat.

Well maybe after this election it will be made clear for her.

Pray for this country. God will help us and we do need his help.

Steveangell on January 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

250 pounds posts or bust!

batterup on January 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

What did she say? I couldn’t hear over the cheeseburgers falling out of her mouth…

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Laura Curtis on January 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I disagree with you. I don’t think Pundit Spice will ever wake up and realize what a useful idiot she is.

The Rogue Tomato on January 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Hahahah! Right out of the gate she has her ass handed to her by the actual reporter.

Blake on January 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM

McCain’s endorsement is Romney giving the TP the finger. I know you think most TPers will vote for Romney in the general. But don’t you think everyone has a breaking point? How many times can Romney give the TP the finger before enough TPers say enough is enough and refuse to vote for him….even if it means another 4 years of Obama?

Do you really think this strategy by Romney is helping? I get that he doesn’t want to pander to the icky yucky toothless conservative hicks out there? But does he have to kick them in the balls every day?

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

So, if you liked the 2008 campaign and think the Republicans went about it the right way, go ahead and support Romney 2012. I’m sure this time running the Democrat-lite is just what we need to win. And really could Meghan McCain be wrong?

18-1 on January 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Rick Perry is breathing a sigh of relief now that Meghan’s back on the scene to take over as the village idiot.

Fletch54 on January 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I could care less what Meg thinks. or McCain.

tinkerthinker on January 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I see her lips moving, but all I hear is moo’ing.

lorien1973 on January 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

jpmotu

ROFLMAO !!!!!

lm10001 on January 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM

The Rogue Tomato on January 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

She’s not that useful…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I mean, like, …totally!

Meggy Mac–the voice and face of 21st century U.S. political culture.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Heh….she just gave me one more reason to support Santorum.

GT on January 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Cats and dogs, living together – total chaos!

Laura Curtis on January 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Its: “Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!”

Ghostbusters quote Fail! :)

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

jeffn21 on January 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Perot was an effect, not a cause.

Expect another Perot when Romney is the nominee. Be it Paul or Trump or whomever else, someone will capture 10-15% from disgusted voters.

HitNRun on January 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

lorien1973 on January 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

C’mon, Lorien… you’re better than that.

Abby Adams on January 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Ok, here we go.
Q: What does a fat chick and a brick have in common?
A: They’ll both eventually be laid by a Mexican.

jpmotu on January 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Meghan is so far, when she steps on a scale, it spins around and then says, “To Be Continued…”

The Rogue Tomato on January 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Romney would surely do better in a race against Obama than McCain did

only because Obama is a known enemy entity now

DanMan on January 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM

If Santorum wins the nomination it will be business as usual because Obama will likely beat him by more than 10 points.

In my opinion, a vote for Santorum is a vote for Obama.

crosspatch on January 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM

She repeated the phrase “I think” several times.

After listening, however, I wasn’t completely sold on that statement.

Apparently this is what passes for deep political analysis nowadays.

ironbill on January 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

what a waste of a blog post. hotair is just giving meghan what she wants: attention.

Sachiko on January 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

That’s what I get for going by memory instead of checking. :-) I might as well go ahead and memorize it – I think we’ll be needing it a lot between now and November.

Laura Curtis on January 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

The Rogue Tomato on January 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

“One at a time…”

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Today, we’ll be talking to one of John McCain’s sperm…

Crusty on January 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

And the Iowa caucuses are “irrelevant.”

…….But not so much as I am………….

Opposite Day on January 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

The blonde Kardashian sister.

bloviator on January 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

C’mon, Lorien… you’re better than that.

Abby Adams on January 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I’m not saying I wouldn’t hit it or anything; but this chick has never held a real job and we have networks looking to her for serious opinions? It’s ridiculous.

lorien1973 on January 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I will admit that I am really disheartened at McCain’s enforcement.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Did it really come as a suprise? By the way, your guy is a lock for the NYT endorsement. May as well begin preparing yourself.

Kataklysmic on January 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

And this comes from the mouth of the daughter of the greatest candidate for president the republicans have ever had.We should all listen to her for sure.

logman1 on January 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Laura Curtis on January 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

lol. Agreed.

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM

C’mon, Lorien… you’re better than that.

Abby Adams on January 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Yes Lorien, snicker, snicker, you’re, snicker, better than, pfffftttt that.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Sachiko on January 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Hot Air is giving readers what they want, as evidenced by the hundreds of comments Pundit Spice posts always generate. It baffles me why I join in every time, but I do it… go figure.

Laura Curtis on January 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Kataklysmic on January 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Surprised? No… but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM

…a C O W comments, on Iowa!
That’s legitimate! There… is a relevant statement… being “uddered” by a real cow!
Let her moo all she wants!

KOOLAID2 on January 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I see her lips moving, but all I hear is moo’ing.

lorien1973 on January 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

If her lips are moving, she’s probably eating.

bw222 on January 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM

18-1 on January 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Amen.

I would forgive her of this one. Except this is what she truly believes. McCain ran a great campaign and Obama was the better Candidate. << Sarcasm

She is just like her father in reality. Can not support how far left the Democrats are so she registers Republican so she can be against the very few things she disagrees with them on.

Steveangell on January 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Obama approval average on RCP today: 47%. First time in the RCP average his approval is not less than his disapproval in several months.

It’s becoming irrelevant if it’s Mittens or someone else. Obama’s going to cruise to re-election.

angryed on January 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Tina and Meghan sex party?

davemason2k on January 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

uh … dude?

darwin on January 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM

How stupid do you have to be to have an MSNBC reporterette make you look like an idiot?

catmman on January 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM

That’s some high grade snark.

*applause*

kim roy on January 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I’m glad somebuddy is watching this. I don’t have the stomach for it.

Kini on January 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Another “more smarter” idiotic comment from maniacal moonbeam meghan mccain (i.e., rino traitor AMNESTY-JOHN’s lunatic-left b-tard kid and alter-ego)

TeaPartyNation on January 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Only leftwing blog fans use the term “irrelevant” like that. It’s a dead giveaway. Kinda like the RANDOM use of all-caps.

forest on January 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Surprised? No… but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I hear you. When the primary dates were moved up, I was 95% sure Mitt would be the nominee. When only Mitt and Paul made it on the VA ballot, I was 100% sure. Doesn’t mean I have to like it…

Kataklysmic on January 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Dear Hot Air,

I am sick to death of seeing that little tart’s face and getting her opinions when then mean no more than my own. Her father ran for POTUS and LOST. Who’s the expert?

Oink on January 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Conservatives should be grateful if Santorum is nominated. Although I support Newt, I like Santorum, too. He’s highly articulate, and one of the very few social conservatives who can be taken seriously–partly because he doesn’t have a Southern accent. You never feel that he is just another religious Southerner, like Mike Hucakbee or Pat Robertson or Rick Perry.

Emperor Norton on January 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Two words: dumb b!tch.

lighthearted on January 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Oink on January 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Can I interest you in today’s Paul Krugman column? How about a Chris Matthews meltdown on youtube?

forest on January 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Well, Santorum should just drop out now. When someone with the political gravitas of Meghan McCain comes out against you, you’re toast.

John Deaux on January 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

YOU KNOW WHO THIS HELPS??

Yeah, IHOP.

ToddPA on January 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Deep Thought on January 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

So we can throw vegetables at them?

sharrukin on January 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Why do people act like any other Republican would have won in 2008? They all would have lost. R’s were doomed in 08.

therightwinger on January 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I’m sorry. Meghan McCain isn’t a cow. A cow eats vegetables. Not pork rinds.

lorien1973 on January 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Kataklysmic on January 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I would have been just as happy to have anyone else live up to their hype so far.

I’m only for Mitt because I don’t like anyone else. Unfortunately with the hate-Mitt-Bots I end up sounding far more Pro-Mitt than I actually am.

I would much rather had someone like Paul Ryan run. I was unhappy when he decided to stay where he was under the idea that he could do more good there than on the campaign trail.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM

The fact that anyone listens to Meggy Mac, let alone quotes her for any reason what so ever is proof that America genuinely deserves to be doomed…

SWalker on January 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

If they closed the buffet before Meggie McBigMAC gets there it will be bedlam like you’ve never seen.

wildcat72 on January 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

OT: Obama is offically now a dictator….3 more recess appointments…bypassing the Senate and the Constitution…this time to the NLRB…

PatriotRider on January 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

OT: it’s time to call for impeachment hearings with obama

ConservativePartyNow on January 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Hoooh boy! There’ll be some conflicted Hot Gassers on this thread, you damn betcha!

The War Planner on January 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

If Santorum is nominated does this mean Meggie will flee the country like the Baldwin/Penn libbies threaten?

katiejane on January 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Please make her go away!!!

mlewis7299 on January 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I think their support is pretty much priced in to Romney’s stock at this point, so I doubt it matters much.

changer1701 on January 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM