posted at 3:15 pm on January 4, 2012 by Tina Korbe

With the help of a few friends on Twitter, I’ve been making a list of people I turn to for infallibly insightful political analysis, and, so far, it goes a little something like this: Alec Baldwin, Matt Damon, Michael Moore and Kelly Clarkson. Add to that … Meghan McCain. Here she is again, on the possibility of an actual Rick Santorum nomination.

“It will be bedlam and hysteria like you’ve never seen,” she says. Bedlam and hysteria? Really? It would rock the Republican Party that much to nominate someone other than the pre-ordained candidate?

To be fair, McCain’s comments on the path to the nomination for Romney make sense to me. He didn’t shine as brilliantly in Iowa as he might have had he decided to make the state a priority sooner than December, but he did what he needed to do last night — and it will likely be a smooth path to the nomination for him from this point. (Then again, in politics, you never know!) She’s also right that the Iowa caucuses aren’t determinative (as she put it, “they’re irrelevant”).

But when she references her father’s path to the nomination, she instantly loses points. What she seems never to have realized — and what, I think, makes her so aggravating to conservatives — is that plenty of Republicans look at 2008 and regret their nomination of John McCain. In large part, the stiff opposition to Romney stems as much from the fear of repeating the mistake the GOP made in 2008 — the mistake of nominating “the next in line” even when that “next in line” espouses troublesome views and hasn’t proved himself a particularly adept campaigner. For what it’s worth, Romney was to the right of John McCain in 2008 and he remains to the right of John McCain in 2012. In between 2008 and 2012, Congress passed and the president signed Obamacare. That makes Romney’s support of Romneycare even more problematic now than it was in 2008 — but, at the same time, it makes Obama’s support for Obamacare more problematic than it was in 2008. Romney will at least be able to capitalize on the primacy of economic issues in this election. Long story short: Romney would surely do better in a race against Obama than McCain did — but support for him from former McCain supporters doesn’t help to make that case.

On that note, John McCain himself has now endorsed Romney. Delightful.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The Midwest Path: win Ohio and Iowa for 270 electoral votes. We dub this The Path of Glory after the 1957 movie about French soldiers who refused to carry out a suicidal attack. Unemployment is high in Ohio; Obama’s approval rating is low. Ambinder notes that “Obama is regularly losing to his Republican opponents in Ohio head to heads.” And if Obama loses New Hampshire, this path won’t work. Obama strategist David Axelrod told the Huffington Post’s Sam Stein that Ohio will be easier to win if Republicans nominate Romney, who’s business career could hurt him in the Rust Belt. Axelrod admitted Newt Gingrich would have “less to explain” there.

Dr Evil on January 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Meghan McCain = Still Bitter.

Lawrence on January 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I care what Meghan McCain thinks. She is an excellent representative for the Republican party. The Rockefeller Republicans who despised Reagan for being too conservative. She represents the big government picks different winners than the Democrats would pick that basically controls the party.

They are the reasons I am no longer a Republican.

So I find what she says very interesting.

Trey

TMink on January 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Why does a show put on someone who has not apparently accomplished anything other than being born of Senator McCain?

Oh, its MSNBC, as roseanne roseannadanna would say, “never mind!”

Dr. Demento on January 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Still wondering why this board gives coverage to this fatuous woman. Her opinions are uninformed. Were it not for her family celebrity, this lightweight trollop would go unnoticed. Seriously, wtf has she DONE, besides pose on her bed with a beer bottle during her father’s pitiful failure campaign, 4yrs ago?

rayra on January 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Well there are a lot of second amendment advocates here and she presents what is known as a target rich environment.

It is just too darn hard to resist a target this big.

Lily on January 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Looking at her makes me want to cut my carbs!

WhatsRight on January 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Ha, looking at her makes me wonder if the rising price of carbs is really due to quantitive easing.

Dusty on January 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Making fun of and picking on overweight or fat people is the last seemingly acceptable behavior to be cruel to a group of people.

Sad, really.

Substitute the word, “black” or “mexican” or whatever, into any fat joke you tell and see the reaction.

Grow up people.

karenhasfreedom on January 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Sorry, but Mooghan needs to STFU… unless she wants to work at MSNBC…

Khun Joe on January 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM

karenhasfreedom on January 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM

And these are the same people who want us to take their political genius seriously.

BettyRuth on January 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Moonbats
Spouting
Nothing
But
Crap

MSNBC should give Meghan McCain her own personalized chair and a salary then tout her as the ‘Conservative Voice’ of MSNBC and be done with it. Honor among thieves.

SD Tom on January 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM

[karenhasfreedom on January 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM]

Che. Can a black say, “I’m half the black I was last month” or a Mexican say, “I lost 10% of my ethnicity in just two weeks”?

Dusty on January 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Real intelligent comments here.

You-Eh-Vee on January 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

You want to know who’s irrelevant? Meghan McCain.

scalleywag on January 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Real intelligent comments about a real intellegent commentator/
Seems appropriate.

ORconservative on January 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM

What does your daddy think when he reads your commentary, Meghan? Does he proudly think, “My little princess is a pundit!” or does he think “I thought you’d be a wife and mommy by now, Meggie.”

disa on January 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Q: If Meghan McCain and Sarah Palin were on Jeopardy who would win?

A: McCain. Palin would leave during the first commercial break.

Undefeated!

KeninCT on January 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM

?

Forgot the question mark – sorry.

disa on January 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM

OK
All jokes about appearance are not nice. You could just leave it there.

ORconservative on January 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM

This is the first time I have ever agreed with the Mav’s piglet. No way will Frothy mix get the nomination and so why is Iowa relevant?
Mitt? Ron Paul?

borntoraisehogs on January 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM

John McCain himself has now endorsed Romney.

Repeating what I said on an earlier post,
you could have predicted this moment back on February 14, 2008.

ITguy on January 4, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Gee, impressive number of “I means” and “I thinks” in that interview. Like, wow, Megan, I mean I think that’s super impressive!

limmo on January 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Gee, aren’t we blessed to be graced with towering intellectual acumen of the likes of Meghan McCain…..NOT!

LizardLips on January 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM

My God, her brain has the atomic weight of a single corn flake..

I wonder if it hurts when she has a thought on her own? We’ll never know, since she hasn’t yet. If it weren’t for her lib club friends, she’d have no opinion beyond, like… Oh MY God!…. on anything.

mark81150 on January 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Did she actually say bedlam??
Does she even know what the word means?
Yes…MSNBC had it on the prompter for her to read.

Like bedlam…what that like…like bedlam..like…

gag me with a spoon McCain….

coach1228 on January 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Like, you know, this Rick Santorum dude, like, totally freaks me out, you know. And like, if he wins, you know, there will be like, total, complete, Armageddon, you know!

dukecitygirl on January 4, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Is it just me, or is she really this tedious? Is this the best we can do? If evolution was true….

Gordy on January 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Meghan McCain: If Santorum wins the nomination, it will be bedlam like you’ve never seen I am endorsing Rick Santorum

Truly Meghan, given how much support you have among the GOP base, that’s effectively what you’re doing. As an avid Santorum supporter I say “Thank you!”

Stoic Patriot on January 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM

John McCain
/ \
= =
/ \
Who Cares = Meghan McCain

peski on January 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Don’t worry Meghan, Santorum cannot win a primary in any other state except for IA, and he couldn’t even win there. He cannot even win his own home state.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Isn’t there a pole somewhere in Tucson that’s missing its dancer?

TiminPhx on January 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Isn’t there a pole triple-rebar-reinforced concrete pillar somewhere in Tucson that’s missing its dancer?

TiminPhx on January 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM

FIFY

CorporatePiggy on January 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM

The cow says moo?

o.O

Oxymoron on January 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I’d hit it.

wccawa on January 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I’ll take fat for 200 Alex…this imbecile couldn’t hold her own,at a debate table with 4 or 5 junior high school students,never mind a couple of D.N.C. talking point spouting,left wing douchebags.Which is why miss McPinhead[R] is pure gold to ANY left leaning news program.Doubling the donut pile on the catering table,is but a small price to pay for her masterful insight….totally!

falsecast on January 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Meh-gams is so hip I bet she’d go for a little guiltless romp. I’ll bring the plan B. The times they are a-changing. Barring some terrible tragedy befalling our little nation, Social conservatism has zero chance of getting elected. Zero. And I wish it wasn’t so but technology has left social conservatism in the dust. It’ll take national trauma for it to become an electable platform again.

pc on January 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Karenhasfreedom

Neither the color of a person’s skin nor their sex are determined by doughnuts.

Horace on January 4, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Q: If Meghan McCain and Sarah Palin were on Jeopardy who would win?

A: McCain. Palin would leave during the first commercial break.

Undefeated!

KeninCT on January 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM

It’s funny how both the most sycophantic pro-Palin fanboys and the most unhinged Palin-hating loons are always able to inject her into a completely unrelated thread. It’s like both sides work for opposing astroturfing operations and get paid every time they type her name.

But since you brought it up: anybody who would stay at a job where they earned $120,000 per year and incurred $500,000 of non-reimbursed expenses in the same time frame is an idiot. Period. There is a laundry list of legitimate criticisms of Palin. I’ve got pages of them myself. The “quitter” meme isn’t one of them.

Walter Sobchak on January 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Meghan and Palin still shooting spitballs, as if they are relevant.

*yawn*

Oh that’s right…..we supposedly “care” because we mock them. Nice logic there.

A: McCain. Palin would leave during the first commercial break.

Undefeated!

KeninCT on January 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM

LOL! Perfect.

nottakingsides on January 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

falsecast on January 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Now that’s bleeping funny. Made my night.

uber-con on January 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I’d hit it.

wccawa on January 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Pack a lunch.

Solaratov on January 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Dusty on January 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Only if they use the disclaimer: “Results derived from converting to Conservatism.”

TugboatPhil on January 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I make it a point to NEVER listen to ANYTHING this whiney… runt… says -and I’d encourage others to do the same.

GuitarMark on January 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM

She’s such a tard. Wonder if she’ll ever figure out that the Left is just using her as a great big giant paint brush? Kinda reminds me of Ron Paul jumping into bed with Barney Frank and then outfitting the committee with 11/14 Soros’ men. Tool.

John_G on January 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

This is the most relevant and interesting thing Meghan McCain has ever said.

The Rogue Tomato on January 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I know a good boob when I see one.

Archivarix on January 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM

He cannot even win his own home state.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl

Which makes him just like every other Republican presidential candidate over the last 20 years or so who didn’t win Pennsylvania.

xblade on January 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Pack a lunch.

Solaratov

And a paper bag. And some ear plugs.

xblade on January 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Who in the hell cares what Meghan McCain says? Who cared what her Dad ever said?

elihu on January 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM

If it weren’t for Meghan, there would be no contest about what angers me most about John McCain’s actions.

RRFCL on January 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Meghan McCain blames the Conservatives, Constitutionalists, Libertarians section of the Republican party, for not voting like her Daddy, part 794 and counting.

My friends, can’t you understand that McCains’ just know what’s best for you. We all just have to get along, via backroom “Gangs of #” deals. Sure, they give you Corrupt heads of various Governmental agencies. Sure it involves supporting the Establishment Status Quo guy who managed to lose to the McCain’s in 2008. Sure it means supporting Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants, but remember my friends, they are just breaking the laws, that Americans, born here or legal immigrant to here, won’t break. And business killing “Green” bills . And yes, let’s face it, if it weren’t for it being an Election year, and Sen. McCain having to make a forced march right to save his position (Thanks Arizona, truly the Nation is so glad we’ve got him deciding our national laws), he’d have planted a big massive seal of Approval on ObamneyCare. And if you disagree with him, he’ll send his other friend, Sen. Lindsey Graham to remind you of how unpatriotic you are!

Now pardon me, my friends, I am under arrest for mocking a U.S. Senator, and having the free will to vote for who I honestly think may be best for the country, even if that means breaking Republican rank, and voting Libertarian, Constitutional, or Conservative. I will be indefinitely detained at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, as part of the recent Defense bill that McCain, Graham, and others voted for. I will be Released upon submitting to the establishment, which will never happ…..

Now Pardon me, my friends, I am going on an All expenses, tax-payer funded trip to a tropical island resort. I will be spending an unknown time there, until I get my mind correctly in place, and pick the candidates, that know what’s best for me. I will let you know when I’m back here commenting again.

Razgriez on January 5, 2012 at 4:02 AM

xblade on January 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I meant in the primary. PAs oerwhelmingly kicked him out of office, he cannot win PA’s primary.

Aslans Girl on January 5, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Okay …
All of you who think Meggers Mac is “relevant”, stand up.
That’s what I thought. You can both sit down now.
Daddy brought home the pork and Meggers over-indulged.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 5, 2012 at 6:38 AM

It’s probably a a waste of time to analyze the lucky sperm club winner but Megan is very pro-gay and Santorum is stanchly opposed to gay marriage. That is her concern here. Megan’s comments in the past have indicated she is convinced the only thing holding the Republican party back from her generation is gay marriage. Her mind is so small that she can’t see that winning the nomination means getting more support from Republicans than anyone else and so it is incapable of “causing choas”. She doesn’t seem to realize that when her father won the nomination those that DIDN’T agree with him had to support him. She really doesn’t have any clue about politics or even her own father’s situation in 2008.

Conan on January 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I can’t stand Meghan McCain. She had her 15 minutes of fame in 2008. Now it’s long past time for her to Go Away!

sherrimae on January 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM