Walker winning the concealed-carry primary in WI so far

posted at 2:00 pm on January 3, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Democrats in Wisconsin and their allies in the labor movement still plan to attempt a recall of Governor Scott Walker as punishment for limiting the collective bargaining privileges of public-employee unions, a key part of Walker’s effort to reduce costs in government.  The failure to win back control of the state Senate this summer after spending millions on those recall efforts may have tempered the expectations of success for the Walker recall, but a better indicator might come from an entirely different reform Walker and the state GOP enacted once in control of the state legislature.  Their new “shall issue” law on gun permits has resulted in an overwhelming response from Wisconsin citizens:

Wisconsin residents have overwhelmed the state Justice Department with so many concealed weapon permit applications agency officials say they probably won’t meet deadlines for issuing approvals this month despite pulling dozens of employees from other tasks to help.

A state law that allows Wisconsin residents to carry concealed weapons went into effect Nov. 1. Under the law, state residents 21 or older who submit $50 to the Justice Department, pass an agency background check and prove they have received some firearms training can obtain a permit to carry. The law requires the agency to process applications received before Nov. 30 within 45 days. Any applications received after that date must be processed within 21 days.

As of Dec. 28, DOJ had received 64,832 applications, issued 36,373 permits and denied 800, mostly because addresses applicants submitted didn’t match their addresses in state Department of Transportation records, DOJ spokeswoman Dana Brueck said.

DOJ Law Enforcement Services Division Administrator Brian O’Keefe said the agency has received anywhere from hundreds to thousands of applications in a single day. He said the agency likely will need one to two extra days beyond the 45- and 21-day windows to get permits processed for several weeks starting in early January.

Wisconsin isn’t the only state to have experienced a sudden rise in applications with this kind of regulatory change, where the state (or county sheriffs, usually) has to issue a carry permit unless they have a specific reason to deny one.  Over the holidays, Instapundit linked to this Des Moines Register report of an “unbelievable” increase of 170% in applications:

The number of Iowans seeking permits to carry handguns and other weapons has increased 170 percent during the first 11 months of 2011 — a trend one Iowa sheriff calls “unbelievable.”

During the first year in which a new law gave sheriffs less discretion over which residents can be denied permits, 94,516 Iowans sought and received non-professional weapons permits from January through November, the Iowa Department of Public Safety reports.

Data from the state’s three most populous counties show an even greater surge in weapons permits in key urban areas. In Polk, Linn and Scott counties, the number of permits issued thus far in 2011 is 271 percent higher than in 2010.

Clearly, these “shall issue” reforms have proven very popular with voters in these states.  Given that counties and cities have already saved tens of millions in costs, thanks to the ability to force the teachers’ union and their own health-insurance regime to compete honestly with other less costly alternatives, the popularity of this law will play into Walker’s hands in the recall fight.  Returning to the status quo of the WISC and gun control will not appeal to Wisconsin voters, especially since Walker can claim — as he did last week — to have balanced the state budget without resorting to the tax hikes that Democrats demanded.

Support for the recall may well be loud and attention-grabbing, but these trends tell me that Walker’s support will be as concealed and effective as his permit-issue reform.

Comments

I intend to frame mine and put it on the wall… if it ever arrives.

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I don’t think anyone applying was going to vote against Walker. I don’t know if you can extrapolate anything about the recall based on how many conceal carry requests there have been.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Scott Walker makes me want to move across the river.

(plus the Vikings suck and the Packers are 15-1)

Bruno Strozek on January 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Perhaps. Just as likely are some people who don’t like Walker and want him out but will have no problem taking part in this program if it appeals to them.

The question is, just how many would do that? Enough to recall him?

Logus on January 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

What are the Republicans’ chances of winning Wisconsin’s electoral votes in November?

aunursa on January 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

OT: drudge caucus now open

cmsinaz on January 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM

A strong indication of who the libs really are.

FOWG1 on January 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM

aunursa on January 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Romney will win all 57 states. He’s that awesome.
– bot

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Wow, this is good news. Maybe the F&F thing was seem by more people than I would have thought to take away our 2nd? Just look at the number of gun sales over the Christmas holiday! The best in years. bho, team, and all they ‘might’ be up to, have American’s wanting to defend them and their families from bho? Good luck Walker, I hope you win.
L

letget on January 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM

You should check out his new add. It’s great.

Scott Walker

WisRich on January 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM

aunursa on January 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Probably better than they have been since Jimmy Carter. It’ll still be tough though.

Othniel on January 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM

What this shows is that the GOP can win the debate if it sticks to its guns and doesnt run fro the left.

William Amos on January 3, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Thank you Gov. Walker!!

Received my permit some time ago, still looking for the right Weapon :)

WhoU4 on January 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Waiting for mine..hopefully by the middle of Jan.

Mimzey on January 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Speaking of Walker’s recall, Althouse is blogging that the WI Dems may not have enough signatures for the recall of the Lt. Governor, Rebecca Kleefisch. Seems as if they are now not reporting the numbers they have so far, in contrast to earlier when they had no trouble doing so.

Why not tell us the numbers? Why did they previously announce the number they had for Walker but clam up about Kleefisch? Could they be reserving the option to say they failed to get enough signatures?

Why would they do that? I can think of a few reasons: 1. Their polling might show that Walker (and Kleefisch) would probably win; 2. Their fundraising is (I’m guessing) way behind Walker’s, and Walker has already gone ahead with some excellent advertising, putting them at a serious disadvantage; 3. They don’t have a candidate to run or they only have multiple candidates who’ll have to beat each other up in a primary; and/or 4. They’re worried that a recall election will have a negative effect on other elections that will be taking place in 2012.

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Is there any way to measure or identify or eliminate as a trend the political affiliation of applicants for concealed carry?

Is this a budding arms race between two opposing political ideologies leading up to an eventual confrontation? I don’t think it is, but is there any way to tell?

It is always assumed that it is the crazy right wing gun nuts who are arming themselves, but we don’t really know that, do we?

Skandia Recluse on January 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM

William Amos on January 3, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Yep

darwin on January 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Here’s a target to practice with:

NoDonkey on January 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Sure thing they’d vote against Walker. Wisconsin has lots of gun loving democrats. Just as many as the republicans have. A cc law has been passed in the past with bipartison support, only to be vetoed by Gov. Doyle

bs4948800 on January 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Welcome to the Gun Side … we have bullets!

ProfShadow on January 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Walker 2016. To the Romney bots. THIS is how you be a conservative in a blue state: Make the liberals look like as**s.

Flapjackmaka on January 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM

As Stephen Kruiser said at Right Online a few years ago,

“Firearms: The gateway drug to liberty.”

ExUrbanKevin on January 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Best video on the subject – Bar none:

Make your own Gun Free Zone

The sad thing is that Leftists actually think their silly little self-defense denial zones keep people safe.

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM

If we have to have the unconstitutional ‘permission’ to carry, then all 57 states should be ‘shall issue’ states.

It’s bad enough having the permit system, but giving sheriffs in places like LA county the royal power to grant or deny permits based on whim is ludicrous.

CorporatePiggy on January 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Thank you Gov. Walker!!

Received my permit some time ago, still looking for the right Weapon :)

WhoU4 on January 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

For starters:
Find a range where you can rent a few and try them out.

Go to a few gun shows and revel in the selection.

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Walker/Rubio 2012!

JohnJ on January 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Not to distract, but the Drudge caucuses are now open. If you want to vote, head on over there.

Dusty on January 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM

“Yeah but Americans really just don’t like guns anymore.”

-Brady hysterics

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM

[angryed on January 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM]

A good point. Ann Althouse suggests a better indicator on how the recall effort is going.

Dusty on January 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Received my permit some time ago, still looking for the right Weapon :)
WhoU4 on January 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

If you’re serious about the permit and protecting your own life, cost will never be a consideration. Plus, it’s beautiful.

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

L

letget on January 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Maybe it’s not Obama they fear….

In 2004, Gov. Romney signed a firearms reform bill that made permanent the ban on assault weapons

A: The Brady Bill has changed over time, and, of course, technology has changed over time. I would have supported the original assault weapon ban. I signed an assault weapon ban in Massachusetts governor And if there is determined to be, from time to time, a weapon of such lethality that it poses a grave risk to our law enforcement personnel, that’s something I would consider signing.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Makes we want to move North over the Cheddar curtain.

ObamatheMessiah on January 3, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Walker will make everything right in Wisconsin!
KEEP HIM!

KOOLAID2 on January 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Get ready hunters in WI and elsewhere…..

The candidate reiterated his support for an assault weapons ban contained in Congress’ crime bill, and the Brady law which imposes a five-day waiting period on handgun purchases. ‘I don’t think (the waiting period) will have a massive effect on crime but I think it will have a positive effect,’ Romney said.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

aunursa on January 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Really quite good if our Voter ID doesn’t get struck down.

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I saw on a large sign in Waukesha County last week:

Scott Walker For President

I don’t see him losing this recall.

contrarian on January 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

As Governor, he responded to the will of a Massachusetts constituency. As President he will respond to the will of a nation and two houses of congress that very clearly don’t want any of that.

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Ahhh a Kimber man? I always thought you had good taste.

Me, I prefer Kimbers chambered in 9mm – a smaller grip for smaller hands and little bit easier for some of us to handle recoil-wise.

Alas, that was before I lost all of mine in a boating accident…. Or was it spelunking?

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

What does Romney have to do with this thread?

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Welcome Wisconsin to the ranks of free states.

rjulio on January 3, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Scott Walker makes me want to move across the river.

(plus the Vikings suck and the Packers are 15-1)

Bruno Strozek on January 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I wonder if gophergirl would agree with that take.

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 3:15 PM

An elected official who gives power to the people is one you can trust.

creek on January 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

.45′s are like 9mm, except they’re made for adults.

Just kidding, I have a few nice 9mm handguns such as a BHP and a Sig228.

I mean…yes…I had a few before that tragic fishing incident when they were lost to the depths of Lake Superior. Sad.

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Really quite good if our Voter ID doesn’t get struck down.

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM

When I read your response, I clearly heard a “rimshot” in my mind.

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM

If one of your friends owns a pistol you can offer to buy two boxes of ammo and give one to him if he will show you how to use his weapon and let you fire one of the boxes. Ammo is expensive thanks to heavy govt. taxes and regulation. Repeat this process with owners of different guns till you learn what you need to know to select a gun you will be content with. Be sure to buy them a beer the next time you see them at your neighborhood saloon.

dunce on January 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

What does Romney have to do with this thread?

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM

He’s like Helen Keller before Ann Sullivan arrived – we just let him run around wild, like an animal. It seems impossible to impart any social skills at his age.

Adjoran on January 3, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I’m sure you’ve mentioned that here before, but that’s the first I’ve heard of it.
Gives me a “knot in the belly.” Ugh.

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 3:27 PM

smart guy, smart move…I think he’s there to stay :-0…

jimver on January 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM

William Amos on January 3, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Stop making sense, please. You may cause heads to explode.

Norky on January 3, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Heh. When I lived there, the “may isssue” clause was a great incentive for campaign contributions to sheriffs’ re-election efforts. Only reason I got a permit was because I had some LE types as clients who put in a word to the local sheriff. It was a corrupt system.

a capella on January 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Really quite good if our Voter ID doesn’t get struck down.

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM

When I read your response, I clearly heard a “rimshot” in my mind.

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Sadly enough, I’m quite serious. The split in this state is that close.

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I like guns…

tom daschle concerned on January 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I intend to frame mine and put it on the wall… if it ever arrives.

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM

If you ever intend to carry concealed, I would suggest that you keep it with you in your wallet any time you are carrying.

Mine is right behind my driver’s license in my wallet. I have two actually, one from my home state and one from a neighboring state that I visit often.

UltimateBob on January 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I see what you did there.

Mirimichi on January 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM

An elected official who gives power to the people is one you can trust.

creek on January 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Amen, brother.
Amen.

UltimateBob on January 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Shooting the smelt up at Knife River?

Man, that is hardcore!

Bruno Strozek on January 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Would Walker consider moving to Kalifornia? Jerry Brown campaigned on ‘everything is on the table’ as far as balancing the budget. Since taking office, all he’s talked about is raising taxes. Go figure.

GarandFan on January 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

My husband used to have some of the very same guns. Only he sold them to some guys. I have no idea who. Then he bought some other ones. From some other guys.

You know how it is. Men are always buying and selling and stuff to their buddies.

But I am sure all the paperwork is around here. Somewhere. Pretty sure anyway. Well it was here before the fire. I don’t remember seeing it after, now that I think about it.

Lily on January 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Concealed Carry is reason #87 why I will move back to the motherland of Wisconsin as soon as possible. Although being a Packer fan in Chicago has it’s perks right now.

jfox21 on January 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

There’s been a lot of that going ‘round lately. I expect it’ll accelerate on towards the fall

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Skandia Recluse on January 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Would you really want to have political affiliation known? Flip that around to a regime seeking ideological purity and then see if that is what you want.

If it is an arms race, it is one meant to keep things civil.

Given the way most of the hard left in the US act about guns, how many can bring themselves to touch one? Or practice with one? To practice you need a decent range and most of those seem to have firearms loving and conscienteous users of same at them. Exposure to that becomes something to sway one’s opinions of their political opponents. You will get the extremely rare Lee Harvey Oswald type, and their rarity is pointed out by how few of them there are in history.

From that it isn’t only about being armed, but being responsible with arms and having a calm and steady ability to fire same. That latter requires patience, the ability to not get emotional when using firearms and then practice, practice, practice. Being armed but unused to arms and being unable to use them well makes you dangerous… to accidents and to yourself. And if you CCW then you also have to practice drawing from concealed, beyond just the range time it is range time plus concealed draw time.

I’m not that worried about the political affiliation of those getting arms. Once you do your mentality must change to protect yourself and your loved ones. Make that leap and you start to see the problems with government much, much more clearly. And if you don’t bother to do it right by practicing… well… accidents are waiting to happen.

And that doesn’t even get into having to clean the things. That allows it to make it go *bang* and cleaning means at least a bit more than running a boresnake through the barrel after a range session. I’ve seen where all that carbon goes… and that, too, is a necessary part of liberty if you mean it.

ajacksonian on January 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM

A poll was released in Wisconsin on 11/16/11. The poll showed that 58 percent of respondents believe Walker should be recalled from office. That compares with 47 percent who said in April that he should be recalled.

Probably not as accurate as the ccw poll though.

plewis on January 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Can we have Scott Walker take over New Jersey, pretty please?

Archivarix on January 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM

please..

kimber ($$$) or not..

you can’t hit shiite with a 3″ barrel

go sig

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Lily on January 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I imagine there are a number of people having to go out an buy more guns, ‘cause they sold them after the Obamascare of ’09 – either that or they misplaced them somehow.

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Obligatory Heinlein quote here -

Obligatory quote about Samuel Colt & equality here -

Obligatory quote about gun control & targeting here -

Obligatory liberals shrieking about bloodshed in the streets here -

and here – one way over here – two there -

another here – more of them here, and here, and here -

bullet hoses there – Saturday Night Specials here -

Tea Party Extremists there – pocket rockets right here -

Liberals having strokes here, here, more here, a whole bunch there -

Reality meets Agenda, more guns, more law abiding citizens -

LESS FREAKIN’ CRIME EVERYWHERE!

roy_batty on January 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

An elected official who gives power to the people is one you can trust.

creek on January 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM

That is BANK!

roy_batty on January 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Not to mention all the fees he jacked up that related to CCW licensing. His posturing for national office was pathetic. And then, as soon as he’s off running, Romney joins the NRA.

roy_batty on January 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Thank you Gov. Walker!!

Received my permit some time ago, still looking for the right Weapon :)

WhoU4 on January 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Be sure to check out the Springfield Armory XD’s. Come in 9mm, .40 cal, .45 cal.

I (used to) have a couple of 1911′s, but when it comes to a potential concealed carry, the smaller size of the XD’s (would) come in handy. A couple other pluses: no trigger to snag, palm safety for a good safety measure if you carry in a fanny pack, chambered cartridge indicator, decent price compared to Kimber.

Law enforcement types like them much better than Sig’s.

Jimmy Doolittle on January 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM

If this (WI & IA) is the response to “Shall Issue” in two relatively small, relatively crime-free, states, just imagine what the application tsunami would look like in CA or NY if those states went to “Shall Issue”.
It is speculated, at least here in CA, that the actual numbers of firearms “on the street” would not appreciably change, just that the people carrying concealed would be “legal”, finally.

Another Drew on January 3, 2012 at 7:03 PM

WhoU4 on January 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Please allow me to show you this perfect weapon for home http://www.magnumresearch.com/Desert_Eagle.asp

D.Mockracy on January 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM

here’s another fine specimen.

D.Mockracy on January 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Springfield XDs are outstanding quality firearms and all of them incorporate a grip safety. My daily travel buddy is an XD .45 with a 4″ barrel and a 13 round magazine. With a cartridge in the chamber and a spare mag, I’m good-to-go with 27 rounds at my disposal.

A rule of thumb for choosing your conceal piece: Carry the biggest, highest caliber firearm that you can comfortably conceal and confidently operate. Choosing your method of concealment is also a very important factor in the equation.

Voice on January 3, 2012 at 7:40 PM

For starters:
Find a range where you can rent a few and try them out.

Go to a few gun shows and revel in the selection.

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Chip, There’s one shop near me where they allow you to “Try Before You Buy” More than likely I’ll be going there to get an idea of what I like. I have a couple of friends that are going to let me try their pistols out also.

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Bishop, beautiful weapon. I’m willing to spend a nice amount, it just needs to fit my grip properly. I have long fingers and am looking for something with adjustable grips or back straps. (Sure the Kimber qualifies)

I was actually thinking about going with a CZ P07 Duty or a Heckler & Koch P2000.

Law enforcement types like them much better than Sig’s.

Jimmy Doolittle on January 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM

My Brother is looking at a .45 XD, if he gets it soon I’ll have to try it out.

D.Mockracy on January 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Yes, that is certainly a persuasive instrument for home defense… as is This!

WhoU4 on January 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Could this guy and Rubio please run for the presidency on the same ticket? I’ll be the first to contribute to that campaign.

NoPain on January 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM