Video: DNC chair accuses Romney of caring more about “Obama’s job than American jobs”

posted at 11:35 am on January 3, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Hey, don’t think of this as a preliminary attack on Mitt Romney. Think of it as a preview of tonight’s awesome analysis in Politico’s coverage of the Iowa caucuses:

Ahem. Just how have Americans fared on the jobs front under Barack Obama? The civilian participation in the workforce has dropped to its lowest level in 30 years — since Reagan, in fact, started a generation-long increase in the same measure. We are still nearly two million jobs below what we had when Obama took office, and have only increased the number of jobs by less than 1.3 million since the end of the Great Recession in June 2009 — a period of 30 months in which real job growth amounted to 43,333 per month, far below the level of population growth.

Greg Sargent previewed the Democratic attack on jobs yesterday if Romney wins the nomination:

In Iowa yesterday, the Democratic National Committee held an event featuring testimony from a man who was laid off from a company that was restructured by Bain Capital on Mitt Romney’s watch.

“I really feel he didn’t care about the workers there,” said the worker, Randy Johnson, who was fired from American Pad and Paper even as investors raked in huge profits from the arrangement. “It was all about profit before people.”

Here’s what’s key to understand: This is only the first of many such workers we’ll likely hear from as the campaign unfolds.

You can rest assured that Democrats have identified a number of other people who have been laid off by companies restructured by Bain on Romney’s watch, and that they’ll be speaking out in the weeks and months ahead.

There may well be a few thousand such people that the DNC can find for its attack ads. On the other hand, the number of people who have dropped out of the workforce over the last three years reaches into the millions, and those who still want work into the hundreds of thousands. Persons who stopped looking because they see no jobs available rose from 734,000 in January 2009, 793,000 in June of the same year when the recession ended, to over a million in November 2011, the last month that data is available from the BLS. The Obama campaign can try to make jobs an issue in the election, but it’s a loser of an argument, and in this case delivered by the least likely person in the DNC to turn it into a winner.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

When I was at the Ames Iowa Straw Poll, I noticed while standing near Debbie during an interview with the press how sad and depressed she looked.

I kinda feel sorry for those sad angry feminists. I was tempted to take a few steps and hug her right on the camera to make her feel better.

Then I remembered she probably had security nearby and I checked myself from trying to….. um…..validate her feelings.

Imagine if she were a nice person instead of a witch. She’d probably have plenty of men (not betas) to choose from and be happy with a Santorum-sized family.

What could have been.

:-(

KirknBurker on January 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Debbie that would be like my wife absurdly telling me I care more about taking out the trash than I do a clean house.

Earth to Debbie. Taking out the trash is a necessary step to maintaining a clean house.

Wigglesworth on January 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM

DWS: Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly cuts to the bone.

Deafdog on January 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM

In this case, Li’l Debbie loses both ways. Big time.

HiJack on January 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Ed, I’m starting to have a problem with the way you write about this. It’s almost as if you actually believe the propaganda. Do you?

The fact is, the officially reported civilian participation in the US workforce is a contrived, manipulated and blatantly FALSE value.

Why are you re-reporting the lie as if it were fact?

There are many many people who used up their unemployment and are still diligently seeking work. Yes, some have given up, but there is no doubt the administration is quite pleased to massage the unemployment numbers this way, despit the fact there are many millions of people out of work.

For a real shock, check out the Youngstow state study on defacto unemployment.

dogsoldier on January 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM

OK! Twice in one day!
You should see my monitor!
The content of my stomach is on there…and I don’t remember eating anything greasy! I think I got some on her hair!
Windex ain’t getting that smudgey sh!t off! (And, my ‘thing’ fell off!)
I know you want to get rid of some of the new people…but this was just downright mean and a nasty thing to do to me.
(Meanwhile…Jailbreak, libfreeordie, and lib4life had to make emergency calls to their doctor…because the instructions on their bottle, warned them that “if they experience an erect!on for more than 4 hours…” Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweh!)

KOOLAID2 on January 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM

The article is spot on. If the president and the Democrats are so concerned about the jobs, where are the jobs? And please do not give me this the Republicans are preventing them as only in the last year they had checked government and it was the best year for job creation (can we call it that?) since the great recession finished. If they say the Republicans are preventing job creation I will come back with saying that as soon as the government stopped intervening because of the Republicans things stopped getting worse.

ojfltx on January 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Seriously, if you were a Democrat, would you have your hopes up this year with DWS as your party leader??? No wonder Democrat registrations are shrinking!

Bob in VA on January 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Point of Order:

Dogsoldier,

What do you think this means?:

BobMbx on January 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Good list, but you left off my three “favorites”: Pelozilla, Dingy Harry and MOOOOOOOOO-chelle.
MisterElephant on January 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Hey, since they brought back McRib, MOOOO-chelle is spending most of her time with MickeyD.

Ventura Capitalist on January 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Politico is proud to present their trusted companion and very ‘close friend’ (you have no idea how close), Chicken Lady!

BWAAAAK! Cage match! Cage match! I’ll peck your eyes out! BWAAAAAAAK!

FlatFoot on January 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM

LOL.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Licking Obama’s Lollipop?

profitsbeard on January 3, 2012 at 7:22 PM

J’accuse DWS of being one screwy poodle head long overdue for a muzzle!

Sherman1864 on January 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Have held back tooooo long. Rep. Wasserman-Shultz must be the result of tooo many failed shock treatments.

MSGTAS on January 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Point of Order:

Dogsoldier,

What do you think this means?:

BobMbx on January 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM

What it means? Its a LIE perpetrated by the Zero Regime to try to hide the reality. The US workforce is actually growing each and every month, not shrinking, but if that and all the other employment data were reported honestly we would all be in a state of shock.

IT IS A LIE.

dogsoldier on January 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Because there’s a connection between his job and their jobs, nit-wit.

LizardLips on January 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM