“The GOP elite” already know who they want as VP

posted at 5:30 pm on January 3, 2012 by Tina Korbe

It’s hard to know, sometimes, whether prominent GOP politicians really support the GOP presidential candidate they support — that is, whether they actually agree with the views the candidate expresses — or whether they just want to be considered for the largess of a new president. One of the first favors the eventual GOP nominee will be able to bestow: The vice presidential nomination.

Sure, other explanations exist as to why the likes of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte and South Dakota Sen. John Thune support Mitt Romney — but they would probably not be too bent out of shape if Romney — should he secure the nomination — tapped ‘em for the VP slot.

Meantime, U.S. News and World Report reports that the GOP elite — whoever they are — have their own ideas about who should be vice president. The aforementioned gals don’t make the list, but the guys — surprisingly like Romney himself — do. Here are the details:

While over a dozen names were suggested by the strategists, some with the campaigns, four top the list: South Dakota Sen. John Thune and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, both surrogates for Romney, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, the most talked-about Hispanic in Washington, and former Secretary of State Condi Rice.

“Romney is likely to have to go right,” said one former Bush aide. “He’ll need somebody to generate enthusiasm from the base. Rubio fits the bill.”

Some suggested that while most of the top picks appear easy and safe candidates, it is not out of the question that Romney would choose a surprise. The reason: Romney himself is the safest of the GOP candidates and might need some spice to rev up the Republican base. But it won’t be Sarah Palin. Not one of our experts mentioned her, though former McCain adviser and former Hewlett-Packard executive Carly Fiorina got a vote.

Gotta say: I would not be excited if Mitt Romney selected a single one of those four. Of them, I like Rubio best — but I’m panicked to pluck any GOP Senator out of the Capitol when we desperately need majorities in both houses of Congress. The other two men are plagued with problems similar to Romney’s. And, as for Condi, well, I admire her prodigious accomplishments — but there’s a reason you rarely hear the name “George W. Bush” on the campaign trail these days and anybody in his administration carries some big-government baggage.

Surely a GOP nominee Romney would be smarter than to permanently solidify his establishment image by selecting an establishment-ordained candidate. My suggestion (if he doesn’t take Iowa by storm tonight and move on to take the GOP nomination): Rick Santorum.

Update: This post originally incorrectly stated the article about GOP insiders’ VP picks came from The USA Today when, in fact, it came from U.S. News and World Report.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

That whole article, along with the lists and especially the reasoning makes me a bit queezy.

It really IS the Eddie Haskel party

golfmann on January 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Romney will not bring out anyone that was planning on staying home.

I don’t get this myth. I’ve seen him give a speech in person. He is good. But don’t think that he’s not Establishment.

I think people think that there will be this enthusiasm surge. That idea has been squashed.

Oh well, off to dinner with some friends. I’ll look at the mayhem later. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I agree Romney/Santorum would be a terrible choice.

I do like the idea of Susana Martinez for VP, regardless of who wins the nomination.

cat_owner on January 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM

IT ALSO IS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE… ABOUT THE SUPREME COURT!!!

Just ask Thomas Frank (?) if there really is anything wrong with Kansas….

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Guess they’ll tell us who to vote for when they’re ready.

Kissmygrits on January 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Lt. Col. Alan West

Key West Reader on January 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM

And Romney lost his senate race by 18%. Next.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Drunk and angry again, Ed? Some commenters seem to be able to handle that better than others…

Jaibones on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

SouthernGent on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I agree, Governor McDonnell would be my choice too. But then I’ve wanted to see a McDonnell/Pence ticket since this primary season began.

And as Cindy Munford said above, let’s leave Senator Rubio where he is. At least until 2016.

Flora Duh on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Who would excite you and why?

joana on January 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM

No one this election cycle.

I say that in truth. Two to three years ago, I was so excited to get involved in politics. Signed up as an intern for a prominent GOP HQ and become heavily involved. I am super thankful for that experience and truly cherish it.

I have absolutely no idea how the GOP intends to win this race. I sound like a Debbie Downer. It’s not fun. But I say it with all legitimacy.

I don’t think anyone would be able to beat Obama. His soft factors are way smaller than people think. If I’m wrong, I’ll eat a hat.

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

How could anyone help Romney beat Obama more than Bobby Jindal would?

itsnotaboutme on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

If Romney panders to Hispanics, hopefully he’s smart enough to pick Martinez and not Rubio.

Then again, as I’ve stated previously, the VP is, per the Constitution, the President of the Senate, and should have complete parliamentary control of that body. That would imply that the VP nominee should have a more legislative background than the Presidential nominee.

DeMint would be nice as a choice. I don’t think DeMint would serve Romney, though.

Scott H on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Romney will not bring out anyone that was planning on staying home.

Oh well, off to dinner with some friends. I’ll look at the mayhem later. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I meant to say Rubio. Whoops!

Truly off to dinner. I think it’ll accomplish more. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM

“Rubio has been very unimpressive in his Senatorial career so far. The typical machine hack from Florida”

Please explain with specifics.

cdog0613 on January 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

dems and rove enagge in that kind of identity politics. does that bother you at all?

t8stlikchkn on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Is it really worse than picking someone because they’re from a state that is electorally valuable?

Mister Mets on January 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

“I’ll never vote for Romney, even if he is the nominee!”

This kind of clenched-jaw, bullheaded stubbornness—expressed by several commenters here—is something I will never begin to understand. The economic future of the country is hanging in the balance, and you’re delighted to hand Obama another 4 years? Gotcha.

ThanksMo on January 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

The best choice Romney could make with his VP would be Sarah Palin. That would completely unite the Republican party and satisfy the not Romney vote. Haley has no charisma and has had her Tea Party credibility called into question. Thune tried to run and was going nowhere, he is a non-starter. Christie is another RINO. Ayotte is NH and makes no sense as VP. There are 3 Logical Choices if Romney is the Nominee.
1. Sarah Palin
2. Bob McDonnell
3. Marco Rubio

My prediction if Mitt is the nominee, Bob McDonnell is the VP pick. Virginia is a must win and the Senate Race with Allen-Kaine is maybe the most competitive in the country. Palin would be the best choice if she would take it. Rubio doesn’t bring anything to the table that McDonnell wouldn’t. Florida is more likely to go republican than Virginia.

CoolChange80 on January 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Nobody votes for the VP.
angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I did, last time, Big Time!

Who is John Galt on January 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

If Marco Rubio was a WASP named Mark Ruby, freshman senator from Florida, how many would consider him VP material?

What if Alan West was white? Would you still name him? West will struggle to be re-elected for congress. What exactly qualifies him to be VP?

That sort of identity politics – be it about race, be it about religion/conservative swagger as in Rick Perry’s case – should be left to democrats.

joana on January 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

grannyblinx ’12 !!!!!!!!!

darwin on January 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM

she beats obama by 7.
bho 45
3rd party 3
granny 52

picking her cat as running mate apparently didnt hurt her with the base.

t8stlikchkn on January 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

cdog: Rubio gives a good speech. However, he has not done in DC what I have wanted him to do in DC. Ergo, as it is right now I won’t be voting for him again.

Scott H on January 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM

My top three guesses for Romney would be

Rubio
Huckabee
Rice

swamp_yankee on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

LMAO. Another drunk commenter.

Jaibones on January 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Just a gut feeling. Maybe I’m wrong.

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

+1000

Yeah, maybe Romney should pick Pawlenty for VP, in case you didn’t already think Romney as a candidate was enough of a snoozefest.

PatriotGal2257 on January 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM

All three pictured would be nuts to hitch up with Mittens.

They’ll be in better stead if they wait for Obama’s 2nd term to end.

T-Paw, however, is ready for the train ride to political oblivion that the Romney ticket will be providing…

Bruno Strozek on January 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Guess they’ll tell us who to vote for when they’re ready.

Kissmygrits on January 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM

When they want to know your opinion they’ll give it to you.

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I’ve always hated the Northeast. Thats why I left. Never go back.

I’ve never cared for mittens. There were much better choices (and hopefully still are). But if people choose him…is there any doubt, seriously..ANY DOUBT..that a mormon with four (was it four, they all look alike) boys has any less invested in the future of this country than we do?? Or the guy who spent his whole childhood in Indonesia?

I hate mittens. But I’ll vote for him. And I will support him.

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 6:18 PM

ThanksMo: As for myself, I only vote for people who I think are conservative candidates. I do not think that Romney is a conservative candidate. Therefore, I will not vote for him.

To be fair, I cannot name a single candidate that I think could win the general election and who I consider conservative.

Scott H on January 3, 2012 at 6:18 PM

why Daniels / Jindal isn’t the ticket I will never know it’s almost like the GOP hates winning.
Mittens is such a weak pick (and don’t for a second think the dems don’t want him as the nominee) he can’t pick someone too strong otherwise why is he at top of ticket, some form of conserv cred or tea party backing to keep base that hasn’t said mormon or flipfloper and stays home. Just pray he isn’t the nominee because it means 4 more of odumbo

smitty41 on January 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM

joana on January 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

its about their character not the color of their skin….

sheesh

cmsinaz on January 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM

How about Paul Ryan? If Romney wants to run on competence that would make him look even more competent. It wouldn’t mess with removing a senator and would be more exciting than many of the others. He would destroy Biden in a debate, but then, who wouldn’t?
Another advantage is I would like to see Ryan run for president. After serving as VP he would be well set to do so.

AnotherJones on January 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Jindal, Haley, Rubio..all good people, and great conservatives and Republicans. NONE of them are constitutionally eligble to be President of the United States!

To place any of them on the ticket, is to validate the illegal three years that Barack HUSSEIN Obama has been illegally occupying the Oval Office, and to reward the criminal behaviour of Nancy Pelosi and the DNC, that KNEW he was not eligible, and who fudged the requirements to get him elected.

It also highlights the complicity of the Supreme Court, failing to do its constitutional duty, and rule on this issue.

This has NOTHING to do with Obama being born in Kenya (he was NOT, he was born in Hawaii); this has nothing to do with the “birth certificate”; he has one, somewhere, that shows he was born in Hawaii. Those are all Red Herrings.

This has EVERYTHING to do with the Constitution, and the lack of will, by both parties, to enforce it!

If you don’t like this comment, too bad; get the Constitution changed! But you don’t get the option to ignore it at will, because its inconvenient!

Dale in Atlanta on January 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Also Perry, but I just don’t see that happening unless he really preforms well through the rest of the primaries (although if he does we might be considering whom he would choose for the VP slot).

Dead Hand Control on January 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

“Hey, Sarah!!!”

Who is John Galt on January 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM

AnotherJones: Paul Ryan should be Speaker of the House. As VP nominee, he doesn’t control the narrative enough.

Scott H on January 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Romney/Huckabee?! Talk about not getting out of bed. I’d pull the covers over my head.

Marcus on January 3, 2012 at 6:24 PM

A good choice could be Bobby Jindhal: young, smart granted he endored Perry. Romney should chose someone from the south and more conservative than himself, Rubio doesn’t have experiene while Jindhal has

countrygirl on January 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Mister Mets on January 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

in a close election fine. this aint gonna be close. lets do the right thing for the right reasons. lets get the right people for the job. and forget the gender/ethnicity politics crap and the electoral map calculus. thats my only point.

t8stlikchkn on January 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM

And, as for Condi, well, I admire her prodigious accomplishments

Clueless Condi, the dangerous nitwit who sees almost everything though the racial prism of her childhood in Birmingham. You have got to be kidding.

VorDaj on January 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM,
Wrong. Palin would be the nominee if she ran. She senses the republicans are going to lose in 2012.

CoolChange80 on January 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I thing Virginia’s governor is more likely than most others mentioned.

VorDaj on January 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Romney will not bring out anyone that was planning on staying home.

Oh well, off to dinner with some friends. I’ll look at the mayhem later. :)

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Just had to interject (oops)… Mitt supporter against Mitt supporter!

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Condi Rice is more of a RINO than Romney. No thanks. The idiot republican party might as well pick Charlie Crist and take a listening tour until 2016.

CoolChange80 on January 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM

And Bobby Jindal, like Obama the Man of a Thousand Exuces is not a Natural Born Citizen.

VorDaj on January 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I hate mittens. But I’ll vote for him. And I will support him.

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 6:18 PM

..I, for one, am very grateful for this. I am not being facetious. Your concern is understandable. But your sense of responsibility and desire to rid this country of one of the gravest mistakes it has ever made in electing an INCOMPETENT and SUBVERSIVE POTUS is truly commendable.

I will do the same NO MATTER WHO IS NOMINATED.

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Scott H- I would love to see Ryan as Speaker but I don’t think that will happen for too many years. I would hope he would have influence by sheer competence. That’s what has made him influential in the House.

AnotherJones on January 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Scott H on January 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM

What has he failed to do?

youngTXcon on January 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

What exactly are the problems that plague Romney and the other two men? Not pleasing Christian fanatics?

joana on January 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM

That right there is what turns many of us off from retreads like you. Your hate and bile is so … out there.

John Hitchcock on January 3, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Don’t be so emotional. Excitement in politics is not a conservative politics. In fact, great conservative philosophers like Edmund Burke, the father of conservatism, and Michael Oakeshott have expressly cautioned about the dangers of bringing excitement and emotions to the political realm.

The next election will be about the incumbent, Obama. As long as the GOP nominee is inoffensive enough, it’s relatively unimportant who he is. People will vote for or against Obama depending on how the economy is doing. It’s always been this way and there’s no reason to believe it will change this year.

joana on January 3, 2012 at 6:30 PM

joana on January 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

His vorpal blade and lineage to Charles Martel.

VorDaj on January 3, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Screw Santorum. Just as I got rid (finally?) of Phuckabee, another religious ass is being hoisted on me. It’s tough enough call between Romney and Santorum; with both on the ticket, I’ll take another four years of Zero by voting for Gary Johnson.

Rubio will draw some birther howling from the left, and we need him in the Senate. Why not Susana Martinez? She’s a perfect complement for Romney: a Southerner, a Latina, a lady, and an undeniable conservative.

Archivarix on January 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM

t8stlikchkn on January 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM

..share with us your optimism. Sincerely glad you are not an Eeyore.

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Rice

swamp_yankee on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

She’ll make a good VP to Hussein Obama I’m sure

burrata on January 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM

countrygirl on January 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I heard Newt float Jindhal as a likely veep choice due to his expertise on healthcare so I don’t think Romney will go there. Newt also mentioned Palin as a possible cabinet selection, like energy. Think the establishment will allow Romney to talk to Palin? Me either. I’m not ready to concede this election to Mittens anyway. Rise Up TEA Party people…

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Paul Ryan. He would put the whole Midwest in play and he would put the budget and defeict front and center.

thegrinreaper on January 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM

What a ridiculous post! Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

Sparky5253 on January 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Whomsoever should hold the Lance of Destiny, should he be worthy, will process the power of Charles Martel.

VorDaj on January 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I’d be OK with Condi, although I would prefer John Bolton.

nicefly on January 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Dale in Atlanta on January 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Spare me.

Until we play the game with the exact same vitriol that they do, we will continue to lose. Precendent set.

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Nobody votes for the VP.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I did, last time, Big Time!

Who is John Galt on January 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Me, too. If the nominee is Romney, here’s to hoping there’s a VP worth voting for, again.

Fallon on January 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM

John Hitchcock on January 3, 2012 at 6:30 PM

It was just a question. It’s a bit creepy you can find hate in it. Why don’t you try to answer? What’s exactly the problem that plagues Romney, Christie and Thune? I mean, Romney is a moderate, but what about the other two?

joana on January 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I still like this post (can’t remember from whom):

“So the dude that lost to the dude that lost to Obama is the only dude that can beat Obama?”

Who is John Galt on January 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I’d be OK with Condi, although I would prefer John Bolton.

nicefly on January 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

You do know that the two of them are about 6300 mils out?

VorDaj on January 3, 2012 at 6:36 PM

The last time I said this the reply was that they were going to stand on their principals over this. Great! Go ahead! Then go practice that Commrade Salute and say goodbye to the Constitution. Yes, it’s that serious!

SubDoc on January 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM

You can’t reason with these people. My guess is that many of them also stayed home from the Polls in 2008 because they didn’t like McCain and wanted to “teach the Republican Party a Lesson”.

That Stupidity worked out just peachy, didn’t it? Especially with SCOTUS.

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Who is John Galt on January 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM

This.

nicefly on January 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Romney + Newt 2012

That’s like putting two fighting fish in a bowl together.
Kakalak Pundit on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

We need Newt on the ticket as he is someone who will fight Obama and not the Republicans

burrata on January 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Lt. Col. Alan West

Key West Reader on January 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM

The only problem with Congressman West is his security clearance. He’s constantly setting off Rotunda metal detectors with his b*lls.

Capitalist Hog on January 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

“I’ll never vote for Romney, even if he is the nominee!”

This kind of clenched-jaw, bullheaded stubbornness—expressed by several commenters here—is something I will never begin to understand. The economic entire future of the country is hanging in the balance, and you’re delighted to hand Obama another 4 years? Gotcha.

ThanksMo on January 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Fixed.

BTW it’s not “stubborness”, it’s stupidity.

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

None of these would move the needle at all for Romney.

ddrintn on January 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Give me Ryan or give me debt.

princetrumpet on January 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Why do we actually play football games when it’s much more informative to simply speculate about the outcome? Pfft!!

MTLassen on January 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Who is John Galt on January 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM

This.

nicefly on January 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

LOL, yeah, that’s pretty good.

ddrintn on January 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Brit Hume has spoken

Thou shalt elect Romney.

Because he says so.

Key West Reader on January 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Capitalist Hog on January 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

He’s been many times seen
Wearing DCU and then full OD green
I hear he’s steely as you please
He could be Samurai Japanese

PercyB on January 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I’ve always hated the Northeast. Thats why I left. Never go back.

I hate mittens. But I’ll vote for him. And I will support him.

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Very well said, Sir. If you are new, Welcome Aboard!

Who is John Galt on January 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Archivarix on January 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I hear that a lot from a lot of people who were screeching about “identity politics” when McCain did the blasphemous thing of choosing Palin over Romney.

ddrintn on January 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I agree, Governor McDonnell would be my choice too.

Flora Duh on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I was leaning towards Bob McDonnell aswell until the Virginia fiasco. I don’t think I trust him anymore.

In all honesty though, how much does the choice for VP matter? Does anybody think Joe Biden has any power? If its a true conservative, they will just Palinize them. Or more aptly Dan Quayle them. If its Romney who wins and somehow beats Obama, does anybody really think he will do a Reagan and run the table for 8 years with enough popularity to get a more conservative person as his VP to win a 3peat 8 years from now? Really? Really?

If we get Romney as the nominee, I could give a rats tail who the VP is. Its meaningless unless he died in office.

KMav on January 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM

MTLassen on January 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Your point would be valid if not for the fact that after this year, Cam Newton will win the next 5 Superbowls.

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Let us not forget the man who lost to the man who lost to Carter?

Carthoris on January 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

VorDaj on January 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Would you PUHLEASSE spare me the Martel shiite.

They built a mosque there.

Now here. We don’t need to worry about the rest of the world. We need to worry about the WESTERN hemisphere.

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Let us not forget the man who lost to the man who lost to Carter?

Carthoris on January 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Oh, good grief. Another Romney/Reagan comparison.

ddrintn on January 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM

The Congressional Research Service has stated that the weight of scholarly legal and historical opinion indicates that the term means one who is entitled under the Constitution or laws of the United States to U.S. citizenship “at birth” or “by birth,” including any child born “in” the United States (other than to foreign diplomats serving their country), the children of United States citizens born abroad, and those born abroad of one citizen parent who has met U.S. residency requirements.[1]

Since ‘natural born citizen’ is not defined in the Constition, under the above terms, Obama, Rubio, Jindal, and Haley are ALL ‘natural born citizens’ and eligible for POTUS.

That said, Jindal would be a good choice since he has some experience under his belt now, but the others mentioned, including West and Christie, need to finish at least one term in their new positions before being considered for the top spots. No more newbies in the White House.

Common Sense on January 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM

^ Anyway, Reagan lost in a close one to an incumbent Republican president. Romney lost to a squishy senator whose “turn” it merely was.

ddrintn on January 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Capitalist Hog on January 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Gingrich/West… Throw in Palin (Energy Sec/EPA – combined), Bolton (Sec of State), Rice (Nat’l Security Advisor), Petraeus (Sec Def), Cain (Commerce), and Ronald Reagan’s Ghost (Chief of Staff) and we got a deal.

Key West Reader on January 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Which, as much as I detest O’bozo, could be the reason we gave Brazil the light attack aircraft contract, and are pushing for their oil.

Even a clued in RINO would do the same. So ignore the LSM bashing if it should happen. The lines have been drawn.

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 6:48 PM

No more newbies in the White House.

Common Sense on January 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Unless they’ve been president before, they’re all newbies.

ddrintn on January 3, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Romney/Blackburn!

She is the perfect compliment to him. Southern, very conservative and she won’t embarrass him or scare away the indies. She is a savvy politician and yes, it doesn’t hurt that she’s a woman.

MJBrutus on January 3, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Gov. Scott would appoint Rubio’s successor should that ticket succeed, would he not? Perhaps he’d appoint West….

FerdtheMoonCat on January 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Brit Hume has spoken
Thou shalt elect Romney.

Key West Reader on January 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Works for me.

Oh, wait…now Brit Hume is a RINO or something? You people are mentally ill.

Jaibones on January 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Give me Ryan or give me debt.

princetrumpet on January 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Thread winner?

Who is John Galt on January 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I will do the same NO MATTER WHO IS NOMINATED.

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

This over and over again. The primaries are for all of us to choose the candidate we want. When the time comes to rid the U.S. of this regime and its cockroaches we must all unite to do it. We will hold whomever is the President feet to the fire.

SouthernGent on January 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM

The GOP elite can choose Humpbot for VP for all I care as long as Carl Cameron overdoses on corn tonight and can no longer report from the field.

HornetSting on January 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Yeah, that will win a lot of votes. I swear, you people want to lose.

He’ll need somebody to generate enthusiasm from the base.

If the base isn’t fired up to vote after three years of Obama, they will never be fired up. Stop pacifying these silly people.

Moesart on January 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Would you PUHLEASSE spare me the Martel shiite.

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Martel was neither shiite nor sunni. He was Christian and Pagan.

Carthoris on January 3, 2012 at 6:59 PM

VorDaj on January 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Bing.

Jaibones on January 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Having a good VP choice will make it easier to vote for Mitt but if Paul should happen to win I will have to hope that we win the senate and keep the house and write in a name for pres. Paul scares the crud out of me with his foreign policy insanity.

jistincase on January 3, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I will do the same NO MATTER WHO IS NOMINATED.

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

SouthernGent on January 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Some comments just need to be repeated until the drunks finally get it.

Jaibones on January 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Romney/Huntsman 2012

Most excellent. A very tasteful ticket.
Best schools, immaculately tailored, good grooming.

Reminds one of the fellows in our fraternity at Brown.

But, dear Lord, please – not anyone from one of those awful corn-picking states.

I say, waiter, another chablis, if you will.

Horace on January 3, 2012 at 7:03 PM

..share with us your optimism. Sincerely glad you are not an Eeyore.

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM

look around open your eyes. look at the metrics. look at the polls. look at thwe country. LISTEN to the dems man….they know. the smart ones. this is gonna get nasty for BHO in a couple months. they talking in the green rooms. not in front of the cameras. yet. soon. soon. they have to frag the captain and throw him overboard to save the ideological ship. or they both go down. they aint lettin that happen. its going to get fun. relax.

t8stlikchkn on January 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Why? Does the GOP need to reinforce its image as the party of queer-bashing?

JohnGalt23 on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

My thoughts exactly. The LSM would ravish the opportunity to draw attention to all of Santorum’s divisive statements which would kiss a good chunk of the independents goodbye, regardless of how much support he might add from the socon base.

Romney just needs someone without too much baggage, plain and simple. The real dilemma is finding a VP candidate who also might excite the ticket, even a little bit…assuming such a politician even exists

Liberty 5-3001 on January 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Not Rice, no Tea Party enthusiasm.

Lots of candidates to vet – keep your eye on Susanna Martinez.

Christie could ignite the base and cost Obama both PA and NJ.

matthew8787 on January 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Paul scares the crud out of me with his foreign policy insanity.

jistincase on January 3, 2012 at 7:01 PM

We’d all have to start digging fallout shelters again, like the 60′s. Even worse, one EMP burst off the Eastern Seaboard puts us back in the Stone Age.

Who is John Galt on January 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM