“The GOP elite” already know who they want as VP

posted at 5:30 pm on January 3, 2012 by Tina Korbe

It’s hard to know, sometimes, whether prominent GOP politicians really support the GOP presidential candidate they support — that is, whether they actually agree with the views the candidate expresses — or whether they just want to be considered for the largess of a new president. One of the first favors the eventual GOP nominee will be able to bestow: The vice presidential nomination.

Sure, other explanations exist as to why the likes of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte and South Dakota Sen. John Thune support Mitt Romney — but they would probably not be too bent out of shape if Romney — should he secure the nomination — tapped ‘em for the VP slot.

Meantime, U.S. News and World Report reports that the GOP elite — whoever they are — have their own ideas about who should be vice president. The aforementioned gals don’t make the list, but the guys — surprisingly like Romney himself — do. Here are the details:

While over a dozen names were suggested by the strategists, some with the campaigns, four top the list: South Dakota Sen. John Thune and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, both surrogates for Romney, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, the most talked-about Hispanic in Washington, and former Secretary of State Condi Rice.

“Romney is likely to have to go right,” said one former Bush aide. “He’ll need somebody to generate enthusiasm from the base. Rubio fits the bill.”

Some suggested that while most of the top picks appear easy and safe candidates, it is not out of the question that Romney would choose a surprise. The reason: Romney himself is the safest of the GOP candidates and might need some spice to rev up the Republican base. But it won’t be Sarah Palin. Not one of our experts mentioned her, though former McCain adviser and former Hewlett-Packard executive Carly Fiorina got a vote.

Gotta say: I would not be excited if Mitt Romney selected a single one of those four. Of them, I like Rubio best — but I’m panicked to pluck any GOP Senator out of the Capitol when we desperately need majorities in both houses of Congress. The other two men are plagued with problems similar to Romney’s. And, as for Condi, well, I admire her prodigious accomplishments — but there’s a reason you rarely hear the name “George W. Bush” on the campaign trail these days and anybody in his administration carries some big-government baggage.

Surely a GOP nominee Romney would be smarter than to permanently solidify his establishment image by selecting an establishment-ordained candidate. My suggestion (if he doesn’t take Iowa by storm tonight and move on to take the GOP nomination): Rick Santorum.

Update: This post originally incorrectly stated the article about GOP insiders’ VP picks came from The USA Today when, in fact, it came from U.S. News and World Report.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“The GOP elite” can kiss my arse.

Spirit Crusher on January 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Romney + Newt 2012

burrata on January 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Compared to Capt Big F***ing Deal that we have now, Sponge Bob would suffice.

hillsoftx on January 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I think Rick Santorum has too much moral baggage. I don’t think he will sell well.

I think Jan Brewer would be good choice.

However, I think it is more likely, and I hate to say it, because I personally really dislike the guy… but I think Rick Perry is likely.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM

The establishment wouldn’t be too disappointed with Christie – he is, in the end, one of them (though a bit louder than your average moderate, which a lot of conservatives seem to like).

Steve Eggleston on January 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM

The reason: Romney himself is the safest of the GOP candidates and might need some spice to rev up the Republican base. But it won’t be Sarah Palin.

Nice of the news paper to rub that in. They must be smoking LSD if they think if any of these vapid people can “excite” the base.

promachus on January 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM

That sounds familiar…it also sounds like defeat.

cartooner on January 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM

as long as it’s Romney at the top of the ticket it makes no difference to me who gets the VP slot, I will not vote for Romney come hell or high water.

exceller on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Ron Paul is never going to pick any of them.

FloatingRock on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

My suggestion: Rick Santorum.

Facepalm, TK. Facepalm.

Abby Adams on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Romney + Newt 2012

That’s like putting two fighting fish in a bowl together.

Kakalak Pundit on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Romney (should he get the nomination) is going to choose Bob McDonnel (Governor, Virginia) as his running mate.

SouthernGent on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Rice

Ronnie on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

If I was betting, I’d bet on Nikki Haley. Because, there’s an even chance that they’ll be running against Obama and Hillary.

RBMN on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

If Romney is the nominee, expect some dunderhead move that angers everyone while further undermining the party and giving Barry a better chance at winning.

Dack Thrombosis on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

if it is mitt,

i would rather have rick perry instead of rick santorum….

santorum is only focused on social issues and this election is not focused on it….

cmsinaz on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Romney/Santorum? Excuse me, my dinner is about to come back up.

rbj on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I agree that these four possible VP picks don’t excite me much. I like Rubio, but we need EVERY senate seat we can possibly get, and he’ll be more useful where he is.

I honestly think Romney would be best picking up somebody slightly less known, but with some really solid conservative credentials. Preferably a governor since executive experience is important for a VP.

Of course, this is assuming Romney gets the nomination. While this looks like an increasingly large possibility, its important not to get ahead of yourself.

WolvenOne on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Rick Santorum? Give me a break. He lost his own state by 20 points. He supported Arlen Spector. He is a bland sandwich. I really don’t know why Santorum is even in the race. He must have some money coming his way from some place.

Kaffa on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Great. We nominate a “moderate” then try to pick a popular conservative in order to excite the base into voting for them. Where have I heard this before?

Shump on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Ron Paul is never going to pick any of them.

FloatingRock on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Obviously. The winner picks a VP.

Ronnie on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

That should keep the Post Count down on this thread!

What about Jeb? He wasn’t a part of his bro’s Administration. My guess is that anyone with that last name will be tainted though.

How about Bobby Jindal?

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Does it really matter??

Isn’t anyone better than O’bozo?

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Compared to Capt Big F***ing Deal that we have now, Sponge Bob would suffice.

hillsoftx on January 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

It’s because of people sayin’ stuff like that (I’m guilty too) that we’re about to nominate Sponge Bob.

ElectricPhase on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Leave Rubio alone!!!!!

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

For conservative bona fides — Sarah Palin. She wouldn’t take it though. But she would help the ticket. So … maybe she would take it.

Paul-Cincy on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Why? Does the GOP need to reinforce its image as the party of queer-bashing?

He is an unlikable guy, with really intemperate policies. Best to go with a happy warrior, like Rubio or Pawlenty.

JohnGalt23 on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Romney/Huntsman!!

One was the Father of ObamaCare, the other worked for Obama!

portlandon on January 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Romney needs to excite the base. Why doesn’t he do that himself??

Oh wait….

Jimmy In Jersey on January 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Rick Santorum? GTFOOH.

swamp_yankee on January 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

The bench in Florida is pretty strong, so there shouldn’t be much of a concern about whether Republicans can keep that seat if Rubio’s chosen as the Veep. But it reflects a case of mistaken priorities, giving the party an incentive not to pick the most talented person for the job.

Mister Mets on January 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Scott Walker ?

William Amos on January 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I’d prefer to see some of the named potential VP candidates in the running for the top spot. Right now, for the Pres nomination, I’m leaning toward None of the Above, with a side order of “well, anyone is better than Obama”.

dentarthurdent on January 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM

How about Bobby Jindal?

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I like that choice but I hate to see Louisiana have any set backs to the best chance of success they have had in decades.

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Santorum/West

Norky on January 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Does it really matter??

Isn’t anyone better than O’bozo?

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

See the post 2 minutes before yours:

exceller on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Based on the “logic” exhibited here by the Romney Haters, they would rather have 4 more years of O’bama than elect a Republican. Why don’t they just call themselves Democrats and get it over with?

Standard Disclaimer: I’m no Mitt Bot. But I would rather have a Republican making the next few SCOTUS appointments than to have O’bama make them. If he puts 2 or 3 more of his people on that Court, it’s all over.

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM

But she would help the ticket.

Paul-Cincy on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

[Citation needed.]

Abby Adams on January 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM

How about Bobby Jindal?

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I like Jindal. The guy’s really smart, having turned down both the best law school in the country and the best medical school.

He had major policy chops on health care reform, which is going to be important.

And as a reelected Governor who spent three years in Congress and two years in a sub-cabinet position in the White House, he has a good resume.

Mister Mets on January 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM

SouthernGent on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I agree. Either him or Rubio. One thing is certain: he will not pick a female. Even if he really liked Haley or someone else, its obvious that selecting a female makes a large enough section of the electorage unhinged that he’s not going to risk his candidacy over it.

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Scott Walker ?

William Amos on January 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Double down on Fiscal Conservatism… might not be a bad play. Especially if Walker is given his walking papers in recall…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Scott Walker ?

William Amos on January 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Scott Brown?

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Ron Paul is never going to pick any of them.

FloatingRock on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

agreed – alex jones is a lock there. bank.

t8stlikchkn on January 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Does it matter?

darwin on January 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

But she would help the ticket.

Paul-Cincy on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

In the same way that Dan Quayle helped…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I think Jan Brewer would be good choice.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I love jan…i’ve voted for her many times.

but Jan cannot speak in public,has a son who is in an insance asylum for criminals, and she cannot debate…whatsoever.

jan ain’t your man…trust me

DrW on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

s/b electorate

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Pffft. The Mittbots have been telling me that Romney will win over so many indies/liberals he won’t have to worry about the right.

What’s this then? Maybe he needs those icky yucky toothless hick conservatives after all? Here’s some advice Mittens. Don’t worry so much about the VP. Nobody votes for the VP. If you want the icky yucky toothless hick conservative vote, how about spending a little less time telling themt to f**k off and little more time listening to their concerns.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

My top three guesses for Romney would be

Rubio
Huckabee
Rice

Chris Christie is most likely to get Attorney General.

Kelly Ayotte will probably stay in the senate, but will be a strong surrogate, and veep or AG back-up.

Big roles for for Pawlenty and a sleeper, Jeb Bush.

Look for a Jeb Bush endorsement in FL, and an appointment as Secretary of State.

swamp_yankee on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Well, I could see Romney picking a “Safe” female, someone like my NH Senator Kelly Ayotte. But she doesn’t really have the Name Recognition yet.

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Didn’t Jeff Flake endorse him early on? Any sense in drafting from AZ?

Dead Hand Control on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Ron Paul is never going to pick any of them.

FloatingRock on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Because he won’t be in a position too, obviously.

catmman on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Scott Brown?

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

heh

cmsinaz on January 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Tina is at it again. Almost one fourth of the population is Hispanic Santorum has attacked immigration and Hispanics and she wants to put him on the ticket. I have a different name for you Gov. Susanna Martinez from New Mexico. That would shatter forever and a day the death grip that the Democrats have on Hispanics and women. The Democrats would be finished for the next 25 years.

Jdripper on January 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Rick Santorum? Give me a break. He lost his own state by 20 points.
Kaffa on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

And Romney lost his senate race by 18%. Next.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Well, well. Isn’t that nice that the GOP elite already know who they want as VP? Somebody want to break it to them that they are not the ones who will elect the nominee, who will then pick whomever they want as VP, or shall we?

PatriotGal2257 on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I think if Mitt is the nominee, VP will be Paul Ryan. It is no coincidence that he revamped that entitlement reform.

msmveritas on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

What do you mean?

Dead Hand Control on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Romney needs to excite the base. Why doesn’t he do that himself??

Oh wait….

Jimmy In Jersey on January 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM

we can spend all day on this internecine bull if we want. OBAMA excites the base. everything after that, the running mate, whatever, enjoy the time masterbating rigourously debating the pros and cons of each; it just doesnt matter.

t8stlikchkn on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Scott Walker ?

William Amos on January 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Leave Walker alone! :)

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I could see McDonnell. But I could also see that going down in defeat. Not due to credibility. I like McDonnell from what I know.

PURE UNENTHUSIASM GAP.

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM

That would be an atrocious call. Santorum has some policy chops, but he’s been out of office as long as Romney. His policy views will scare the middle. And he has a tendency to say things in the most controversial way possible. And many on the base thinks he’s a big government guy.

I like the description of Santorum as Huckabee without the charm. And in that case, Romney could just pick Huckabee.

Mister Mets on January 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM

And, as for Condi, well, …

What a friggin’ joke. Condi has the same chance of being a Republican VP candidate that Hillary has. She has a better chance of having O’Bozo pick her.

Jaibones on January 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Nikki Haley. Yeah, I can get down with her being the VP choice.

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Then again, the VP would be up against the Gaffe-stastic Sheriff Joe…. So… maybe as long as it isn’t Dan Quayle… it won’t be too huge a disaster no matter who it is.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

and an appointment as Secretary of State.

swamp_yankee on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

In my heart of hearts, as much as I’d like to see Jon Huntsman win the primary, I believe that he’s positioned himself to be a lock for Secretary of State for whichever GOP candidate beats Obama.

Abby Adams on January 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Please not Christie. I would like to go to the polls with a little bit of excitement and enthusiasm. Right now I am feeling numb. I don’t care for Mr. Romney. With all his faults and baggage Mr Gingrich has my vote. If he does not win the nomination, a Vice President Gingrich would make sense. He is the only candidate who has successfully pushed through conservative policies and knows Washington. Having said that, I think he would be better at the top of the ticket. I trust him more than I trust Mr. Romney.

JannyMc on January 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Romney/Perry? *boggle*

My impression is that those two can’t stand each other on a very personal level. I don’t think you have to be best pals with your running mate, but I think despising them with every fiber of your being is probably not a good idea.

Santorum wouldn’t surprise me… he could lend Mitt some street cred with the social conservatives, and he is likely to go along with Mitt on big gov’t policies.

For me, Santorum or Romney are my worst nightmares to win the nomination. Those are the only two candidates in the field I won’t vote for in the general election, for very different reasons on each one. A combined ticket of Romney/Santorum seems to me a sure fire way to turn off nearly everyone without really firing up anyone.

gravityman on January 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM

SouthernGent on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Virginia is the major swing state, as it most closely matched the popular vote in 2008. And McDonnell’s a popular Governor.

McDonnell is a middle-aged white guy, which is a disadvantage when trying to brand the party. And he has made some troublesome comments about the Confederacy. You don’t say kind things about a group of people so disgusted by the election of the Greatest Man the country ever produced, that they chose to abandon the country and fight for one of the worst causes in American history. Especially when running against the first black President.

Mister Mets on January 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM

How about Bobby Jindal?

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Yes. Almost as good as Sarah. :D

Paul-Cincy on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Jdripper on January 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM

dems and rove enagge in that kind of identity politics. does that bother you at all?

t8stlikchkn on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

If Romney No matter who is the nominee, expect some dunderhead move that angers everyone while further undermining the party and giving Barry a better chance at winning.

Dack Thrombosis on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

In this case, a generalization is in order.

KS Rex on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Upside of this would be the possibility of the governor appointing Senator Allen West.

commodore on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Just remember, it’s a job Sheriff Joe is now holding down, so the bar is already set pretty low.

a capella on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I think Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, Nikki Haley, NM Gov Susanna Martinez would all be on the short list. Others too, which I am sure I am forgetting.

Santorum has no chance, for a simple reason: he adds nothing. He probably cannot even pull his own state. Most of the others above would do at least that. A hispanic, especially a pro-security and true conservative one, would be a huge addition to the Republican party.

Rubio is the guy I want. He could define the party for the next generation, if we let him.

neoavatara on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Romney cannot even excite more than 25% of the republicans and they want to be excited. If Romney is the nominee, no one is going to be excited. They’ll stay home, not donate money, and/or not contribute their time.

The 2010 election was all about the repeal of Obamacare. Now we want to nominate the inventor of Obamacare! Romney wants to “keep the best parts” of Obamacare. This is unbelievable to me. It doesn’t matter who his VP is.

Kaffa on January 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I like Haley for it, but she hasn’t even finished her first term in the Governor’s office, right?. That’s not much time before moving up and out.

Also Perry, but I just don’t see that happening unless he really preforms well through the rest of the primaries (although if he does we might be considering whom he would choose for the VP slot).

Dead Hand Control on January 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Kaffa on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Yeah…not getting the logic in Tina’s choice. Santorum is incredibly offensive to a lot of people. McConnell or Christie will get it done.

BettyRuth on January 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Kaffa on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

..I keep harkening back to what one HG commenter said about Santorum: he reminded the guy of a rat with dentures.

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM

What do you mean?

Dead Hand Control on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

What I mean is that even though most people have no problem with a qualified woman on either half of the ticket, there seems to exist a large enough section of voters that DO have a problem with it, that it isn’t a risk a cautious candidate like Mitt would be willing to take.

I don’t think the usual laundry list of reasons that Palin and Bachmann are called unelectable by their detractors tells the whole story (I say this as a former ‘Nista, by the way). I think among the male electorate, there is a subset of men who do not want to be governed by a woman regardless of competence. And I think there is an even larger subset of voters among the female electorate that do not want a woman for a whole host of reasons.

Just a gut feeling. Maybe I’m wrong.

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

You have to be joking.

Vyce on January 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

How about Bobby Jindal?

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Keep yer mitts off Bobby. We need him here!!! He can run for Prez in 2020. He’s young.

CaliforniaRefugee on January 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Hey, I’m not mittens lover. I’m from MA (hate..to admit it), but even I can prefer a pseudo-con who wants re-election to an uberlib who has got it.

WryTrvllr on January 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Kaffa on January 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

dude, forgive me, but thats nuts. think it thru dude. repeal will be coming from a GOP house, rammed thru a slim GOP senate with reconciliation. after all that, you think any GOP potus would VETO it? tyhink thru the mechanics. next POTUS really is an after though when it comes to repeal.

t8stlikchkn on January 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Is this the same “elite” that propped up McCain last cycle??? I hope not

jake49 on January 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Just a gut feeling. Maybe I’m wrong.

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Once Team Romney does the political math, we’re probably looking at Romney-McDonnell.

While politicians like Christie and Rubio make Republicans feel good, the VP needs to exude competence while being boring and generic, someone who can professionally play the attack dog role without alienating moderates.

Christie and Rubio have skillsets making them top-of-the-ticket men. They’re not really sidekick material.

JHB on January 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I think he is going to pick Demint.

After all Demint was the perfect candidate who didn’t run

OrthodoxJew on January 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM

McDonnell might be a good choice. Mitt could use the credibility among Republicans in the southern states, which McDonnell could help provide. I suspect though that this would still be the old “lipstick on a pig” issue… it’s still Romney topping the ticket, which really doesn’t excite more than 25% of the GOP base.

gravityman on January 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

So … maybe she would take it.

Paul-Cincy on January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

While I hope not irretrievably damaged, I think Gov. Palin is out of the running for a while.

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Santorum? Why would Romney pick a socialist as his VP? And if being associated to W is a problem for Rice, why wouldn’t it be to Santorum – who’s way closer ideologically to W than Rice?

The idea that Santorum is more conservative than Chris Christie is hilarious.

What exactly are the problems that plague Romney and the other two men? Not pleasing Christian fanatics?

My preferences would be:

1. Chris Christie
2. Bobby Jindal
3. Mitch Daniels
4. Bob McDonnell
5. Susan Martinez

Rice is a scholar on Soviet Union but she isn’t a politician and I doubt she has the talent for the game of electoral politics.

Rubio has been very unimpressive in his Senatorial career so far. The typical machine hack from Florida. And I think a ticket of governors would make more sense anyway.

joana on January 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Oh and leave Paul Ryan alone too.

Leave the following alone for sure:
-Ayotte
-Rubio
-Ryan
-Walker
-Johnson

Haley sold herself out to the establishment so she’s not going to get any conservative credibility.

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM

It really doesn’t matter… the republicans/independents will field the worst possible candidate to ensure that their master stays in office. They condone his actions and expect to live in the imperial palace (otherwise, the articles of impeachment would ne never-ending.)

Little do they realize that in a short time, they may be removed…they have already voted themselves into irrelevancy,

The time has long since passed for us to stop trusting the government and ts agents (Corollary to Gouldenism #1 – “Trust (and distrust) are not spontaneous gifts; they are earned by cumulative words and actions, over time.” )

The time is approaching when they political class should be forcibly removed from their offices and handed the punishments fitting their crimes.

xmanvietnam on January 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM

My top three guesses for Romney would be

Rubio
Huckabee
Rice

swamp_yankee on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I’d be on my knees praying for Rubio. (And I think he would do that for Romney.) But Huckabee (still does not like Mitt) and Rice (a waste as has been pointed out by other commenters here) wouldn’t add very much to the ticket.

Rubio would draw some of the the Hispanic vote and a lot of the South and the folks who would want to see him with a clear path to the presidency. (But wouldn’t that be “Hispanderng”?)

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Rick Santorum? Give me a break. He lost his own state by 20 points.

Kaffa on January 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

He has global appeal. He has surged from 2% to 4% in New Hampshire and will soon start to register single digits in Florida.

lol. My grandma could do better.

hanzblinx on January 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Obama/Romney 2012

rogerb on January 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Unless there is a problem electorally in NM, Susana Martinez should stay there.

Jindal would be credible but he’s not going to excite anyone. Unless, you’re ALT. :) At least, not in a get out the vote type of excitement. He should be President anyways.

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

For some time now, Rubio has been topping the list. Unless he does something to damage his brand, he seems the most likely pick for someone like Romney.

youngTXcon on January 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM

And Romney lost his senate race by 18%. Next.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

LOL, who was he running against in that race?

Actually, if you look at that 1994 race (and BTW, it wasn’t 18%, it was 17% but who’s counting?) Romney was actually tied with his “opponent” up to about 2 months before the election. But he ran out of money, and his “opponent” didn’t and won by running a series of Attack Ads.

BTW that was actually the smallest margin of victory for Romney’s “opponent” since his original election in 1962.

Del Dolemonte on January 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

lol. My grandma could do better.

hanzblinx on January 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Then why isn’t she running?

grannyblinx ’12 !!!!!!!!!

darwin on January 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM

For the poster, and those thinking it, if Romney gets the nomination they won’t vote, have you SERIOUSLY considered the consequences of another 4 years of Barack Obama!!!

He will pack the departments even deeper with people bent on destroying our freedom. They will feel ‘entitled’ to mandate even more control of your personal life. And worse, he will most likely appoint one or more Supreme Court Justices that will impact our country for decades to come. If he appoints two, it’s over.

I’m sorry, at this juncture in our history I will campaign loudly and often for the GOP candidate, whomever it is. The alternative is is just too much of a nightmare! And no, a third party run isn’t logical at this time.

The last time I said this the reply was that they were going to stand on their principals over this. Great! Go ahead! Then go practice that Commrade Salute and say goodbye to the Constitution. Yes, it’s that serious!

SubDoc on January 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Midwestprincesse on January 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Who would excite you and why?

joana on January 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM