Politico’s great headliner guest for Iowa caucus coverage is …

posted at 9:15 am on January 3, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The Iowa caucuses tonight provide an early glimpse into the will of the Republican electorate, and will provide grist for at least a few days of analysis before the focus shifts entirely to New Hampshire’s primary a week from today.  News organizations will look to bring on people with special insight into the Republican primary race and the GOP electorate in order to give their audiences the best possible analysis, and they won’t be shy about promoting their special guests, either.  Politico is no exception, although their idea of “special” probably differs from yours and mine.  Politico’s morning e-mail blast included this curious promotion of tonight’s coverage:

TUNE IN TONIGHT: Mike Allen hosts POLITICO’s livestream special coverage of the Iowa caucuses from Des Moines beginning at 7 p.m. ET. The show will feature instant analysis from POLITICOs, appearances by DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz and other special guests and live results. Watch here: http://www.politico.com/livestream AND check out our pre-game show at Noon ET featuring POLITICO’s John Harris, Charles Mahtesian and Jonathan Martin.

Let me get this straight.  Their headliner for tonight — the one they want to promote to demonstrate how their coverage will best the competition — is the hacktastic chair of the other party, Debbie Wasserman Schultz.  Who are the other “special guests”?  Michael Moore?  Bill Maher?  Janeane Garofalo?

If you’re inclined to watch Debbie Downer’s analysis of a Republican caucus, presumably for the humor quotient, then be sure to play the Debbie Drinking Game while you do.  Chug your drink when Wasserman Schultz offers up these cogent points about Republicans:

You’ll be drunk by the second commercial break … which is probably the only defense mechanism that will get you through it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Forget her looks, it talks. You’d better bring the big roll of duct tape.

di butler on January 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Even the vaunted Des Moines Register Poll, supposedly the best predictor, only had about a quarter of their respondents identify themselves as “likely caucus-goers”. I know enough about polling to know that you can do a LOT with how you phrase the questions and how you pick your sample.

If Governor Perry “surprises” tonight (defined by me as third or better), it will be due, in part in my view, to the almost desperate panic of the combined leftist media and the Beltway Republican Establishment Commentariat, which has collectively drunk the Romney “Electability Kool-Aid”, and like, Reverend Jones, is trying to lead the conservative movement to do so as well, to its, and the country’s detriment.

nancysabet on January 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I won’t be watching Politico’s coverage, but I will be following her Twitter stream all day. Some of the responses she gets from people are hilarious.

Flora Duh on January 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I commend your bravery in crawling into the belly of the beast. The occasional glimpse of DWS that I get on conservative sites is about all that I can stomach.

MisterElephant on January 3, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I’m sure the television networks locked up the more important analysts -you know, like David Axelrod and David Plouffe- so it’s no surprise that DWS would be relegated to streaming vid. -Sheesh.

If this doesn’t throw a huge blanket over Politico’s objectivity, nothing much will. And if HotAir doesn’t couch any future reference to Politico with “The News Organization that Promoted DWS to Analyze the Iowa GOP Caucuses” (or similar), they’ll be doing their readers a disservice.

BKeyser on January 3, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Dr Evil on January 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Debbie Downer is a bottom feeder for some reason Florida produces more than their share of political bottom feeders? Is it the humidity? Under the right the climate conditions, mold spores will duplicate.

I almost forgot for a second that Florida spawned Alan Grayson as well. Will see how Rubio’s and West’s political career pan out and maybe they will be forgiven.

melle1228 on January 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM

MisterElephant on January 3, 2012 at 10:47 AM

No matter what she tweets about, I always answer her with a question/comment about Fast & Furious and this picture.

For some reason, she’s never responded.

Flora Duh on January 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM

The media and the Democrats are trying to pick the Republican candidate.
I am sure they do extensive polling to see who is the weakest candidate and that is the one, in coordination with the Obama re-election people, that the media pushes.

All a scam…or an attempt at a scam.

albill on January 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Is it possible she got fuglier?? looks like somebody pounded her face in or is it because she’s more and more nastier that it is actually showing in a massive way… face only a mother could love….. maybe

hogtrashhd on January 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I would say she looks like she chased a fart through a bucket of nails, but her most intense ugly is all on the inside.

rightoption on January 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Flora Duh on January 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM

You talked me into it, since I can always kick her to the curb when I cant take anymore.

Naturally Curly on January 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM

It’s not just DWS’s hair that is wound too tight…

Perhaps that is the cause, and not the symptom.

so-notbuyingit on January 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Might as well get that ugly face out there now. We’ll be seeing a whole lot more of it between now and November 2012. Isn’t there anyone in Florida who can run against that hag?

Rational Thought on January 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM

_________________________________________________________________

So far there are 3 people lining up to take on DWS in ’12. The woman who lost to her in ’10 among them. She ran a horrible campaign but did not have national exposure. I am so hoping this seat is one of the ones that gets help in ’12 to move her out. Sadly, her district is gerry-mandered and I’ve heard nothing about the redistricting yet.

CoffeeLover on January 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM

rightoption on January 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Alright, I’ll give you a half-credit for that one.

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Politico does realize that DWS’s sole reason for being is to push the Democratic message? So to give her a platform to comment on the Republican nomination process actually offers no insight but only a chance to undermine the potential nominee?

It’s like inviting a snake to comment on lab mice making their way through a maze. The only thing the snake cares about is devouring the mice whole. ‘Hmm, that mouse is far too slow,’ the snake will hiss thoughtfully. The panelists will nod at the snake’s apparent wisdom. ‘And that other mouse must not like cheese,’ the snake will hiss. The panelists will again nod at such deep insight. ‘Ah, but look at that one there – now of course being a snake, I would just as soon devour these mice whole – but that little runt in the corner knows what he is doing. You can just see it in his beady little eyes.’ The panelists will smile and feel satisfied that even a snake can be so honest against her own interests.

Of course Politico knows what it is doing.

Crispian on January 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM

that is a grotesque looking woman,,,,,
but typical for a democrat

murrayjones on January 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM

A few months ago I went to Politico and at the bottom of their page there was an imprint of the White House. I should have taken a screen shot…. I wonder if there are any cached pages?

Politico… owned by the White House?

/Not shocked.

Key West Reader on January 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Ridiculo.

Socratease on January 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Alright, I’ll give you a half-credit for that one.

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM

We’re keeping score? Dang, I better read more and comment less.

rightoption on January 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

The word Politico made me want to move on to the next story. What is it they have to say that can be believed ?

democratsarefools on January 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Even if Debbie Downer weren’t such a dimwitted far-Left hack, I still couldn’t listen to her. Her voice is just so grating and off-putting. To me it sounds like she’s always trying to swallow a mouthful of saltines. Not that I’m complaining, but who in the world thought this worthless woman would be a good spokesperson for the DNC?

WarEagle01 on January 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Honestly, who thought it was a good idea to make Debbie the DNC Chair? Comedy Central?

By the way, I would like to buy whoever it was lunch.

Politico is run by a bunch of third rate hacks. Set your expectations appropriately.

Marcus Traianus on January 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Is it possible she got fuglier??

It was inevitable, and it will only get worse accelerated by the projected success of the GOP as we get closer to the election.

HiJack on January 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Debbie Downer – A face like a bulldog chewing a wasp and a mind as sharp as a pound of wet leather!

ghostwalker1 on January 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

No thanks…If I want to throw up I will drink too much instead of watching Debbie What a Blabbermouth

logicman_1998 on January 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Alright, I’ll give you a half-credit for that one.

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM

We’re keeping score? Dang, I better read more and comment less.

rightoption on January 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

That was a reference to my 10:20 AM post. You’re okay.

There are too few posts in this thread that DON’T reference this ladies physical appearance.

SHE’S AN IDIOT!

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

So homely, So dumb

jack48 on January 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I’m going to focus on your comment because it was the first of many of it’s kind that followed.

Why do you need to point out how you think she looks? Does it help in any way? Perhaps it makes you feel good to critique her looks that she was born with. Petty. The same goes for the rest of you.

I disagree with you on her looks. I think she is rather good looking. But it’s not the outside that matters. It’s what inside.

it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person. – Matthew 15:11

What would you think of a Democrat commenting about the homely looks of a Republican woman? It would also be petty.

Rise above these petty comments on her looks. You’re just borrowing a playbook tactic of Schultz’s own.

shick on January 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

OK Gotcha. I heard the bucket of nails thing years ago and couldn’t resist the chance to use it.

rightoption on January 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM

ghostwalker1 on January 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

That was close–I was drinking hot chocolate when I read your comment.

You guys crack me up more than you’ll ever know.

MisterElephant on January 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM

DNC chair: No time to meet Occupy

Pressed on whether she would talk to the protesters if she got the chance, the Florida congresswoman responded, “I probably won’t have a chance to talk to them while I’m here but I have talked to Occupy Wall Street folks over the last few months, I’ve been publicly supportive of them. I think that they are well within their rights to be frustrated.”

How could this be?

The National Democratic Party distancing themselves from Obama’s Wild Socialists?

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 12:23 PM

shick on January 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

What, no sarc tag..?

affenhauer on January 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM

The perfect guest to demonstrate the respect that is had for over half of this country’s population.

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM

shick on January 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Agreed.

Let us leave it to the Socialists from the Democratic National Committee to incessantly focus on appearance and skin color.

They are ugly enough on the inside being the advocates of Oppressive politics.

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM

TOnight’s coverage sponsored by Miracle Whip.

IreneFingIrene on January 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I can’t think of any reason it would ever happen, but I’d love to see a debate between Debbie and Joe Biden. That would be gaffetastic.

peski on January 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM

What, no sarc tag..?

affenhauer on January 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM

No sarc tag. (Cute comment though)

Though I think she is pretty. What comes out of her mouth, however, makes her overall appearance vile. Not unlike many of the comments directed at her on this post.

shick on January 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM

OT…

It looks like WordPress caved to pressure from CAIR and shut down the Bare Naked Islam blog.

Doesn’t HotAir use WordPress? Or do I have that wrong?

Ryt on January 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I haven’t had breakfast yet, Ed.
No fair!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 3, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I had to go to the cupboard and get out the whiskey for my coffee…

lovingmyUSA on January 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM

shick on January 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM

If DWS is “pretty” then 95% of weight-proportional-to-height women her age or younger are gorgeous.

MisterElephant on January 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Agreed.

They are ugly enough on the inside being the advocates of Oppressive politics.

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Perfectly expressed.

Also,

If we bend on simple rules that apply to our tongues how can we expect to not bend on the harder ones?

Also part two,

But then, as we lift our heads to say, “I am not like them” we run the risk of believing in our own self-righteousness which is at the root of where prejudice by appearance comes from as well.

Oh, what a messed up bunch of souls we all have.

shick on January 3, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Dumb and blonde.

But I repeat myself.

BobMbx on January 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Sorry to say DWS, your just in the peanut gallery.

jake49 on January 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM

MisterElephant on January 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Thanks for your opinion.

I think her outward appearance is pretty. But overal I find her rather vile. That’s my opinion.

shick on January 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM

They are ugly enough on the inside being the advocates of Oppressive politics.

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Perfectly expressed.

Also,

Also part two,

Oh, what a messed up bunch of souls we all have.

shick on January 3, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I would also add that focusing on irrelevancies with outward appearance tends to distract away from far more important issues of the day.

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Debbie Needstowashherhair Schultz is one scary looking thing!

deanoj on January 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

The poor girl needs better grooming. Inside and out.

/Now please pass me a saucer of milk LOL :o)

Key West Reader on January 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I hope she goes on damage control for the losers.

Iowa is a hard caucus to win.

amazingmets on January 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I think it’s generally the job of the DNC and RNC to be the attack dogs for their respective Party’s but ol’ Debbie takes it to a whole new level.

Yakko77 on January 3, 2012 at 1:49 PM

As Politico has become another Slate clone this doesn’t surprise me. What DID surprise me is when they ran a ‘piece’ about CAP and MMfA taking anti-Israel positions.

Occam’s Razor suggests that the 0bama Regime didn’t need any more help making itself out to be THE antisemitic party of the 21st. Century.

DannoJyd on January 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I look at her, and all I feel is pity…

It has to be hell to have a face like a baseball mitt and a head full of yeti pubes.

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Since there is nothing we need to hear or learn from or about DWS, as we all hopefully have learned all we need to know about her, having fun with her irrelevancies is about all that’s left.

We all know she is going to saying something moronic. The only reason she gets any coverage at all is due to her moronic statements.

Thats what she gets paid for, I guess.

BobMbx on January 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Chip on January 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Again, spot on.

It works the opposite direction as well. A pretty face can be used to lure us.

This is PETA’s latest method for recruitment because their idealogy is so shallow.

shick on January 3, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Everytime I see that woman, all I think of is the line from Paul Simon’s song, “You can call me Al” that goes something like…”He ducked down the alley with the rolly-polly little bat-faced girl…”

Man, how could the people of Florida ever have elected her? It just boggles the mind.

dinqua on January 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM

She looks and sounds like she dunked her head in a vat of oatmeal.

Her bizarro look, her zonked-out manner and her wackjob politics are all that she has going for her. She trades on her weirdness like Lady Gaga.

MisterElephant on January 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM

After only nine months as DNC Chair, poor Deb looks to be past her expiration date.

TheClearRiver on January 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

What a loser. If you are wondering whether I mean the DNC imbecile or the Politico that loves her, the answer is “Yes.” Hackstastic marriage.

kunegetikos on January 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM

When I see that pic I wonder if DWS is related to Chelsea Clinton.

independentme on January 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Debbie Does Des Moines – that’s one movie no one could pay me enough money to watch.

Marxism is for dummies on January 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Good god, she’s an ugly a$$ woman. Get a new hairdo or new face or something, but change the way you look. Damn.

rjulio on January 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM

This. Remember, they are the party of tolerance!

lucyvanpelt on January 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Perfect reason we still make paper bags

Wade on January 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM

“Ugly and stupid is no way to go through life, girl …..”

BD57 on January 3, 2012 at 4:53 PM

So Politico is giving DWS a forum to comment on the Republican caucus in Iowa.

Is that like asking Satan to comment on Billy Graham’s life?

BigAlSouth on January 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Politico is proud to present their trusted companion and very ‘close friend’ (you have no idea how close), Chicken Lady!

BWAAAAK! Cage match! Cage match! I’ll peck your eyes out! BWAAAAAAAK!

FlatFoot on January 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Once again, HotAir readers have a much clearer understanding of what Politico is all about than the people who constantly publish the idiotic/left-lib-biased columns that Politico churns out.

Wake up, Ed. We know that Politico is a MSM junk-rag…why don’t you?

Jaibones on January 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM

OT/
That picture of her …is she having a stroke? She looks a little ‘off’.
I hope she’s o.k….anyone know if she pulled through?

Mimzey on January 3, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I think her outward appearance is pretty. That’s my opinion.

shick on January 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Get a friggin’ eye exam for cryin’ out loud.

chewmeister on January 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM

DWS is the stupendous stupid

scboy on January 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM

If anyone doubted how far in the Democrat tank POLITICO is, using DWS should dispel them. What hosers.

gitarfan on January 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

South Floridians voting this woman in is proof the Jews didn’t learn their lesson, again.

LizardLips on January 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM

DWS is one screwy poodle!

Sherman1864 on January 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM

“Let me get this straight. Their headliner for tonight — the one they want to promote to demonstrate how their coverage will best the competition — is the hacktastic chair of the other party, Debbie Wasserman Schultz.”

I actually think its “spaztistic” as in “a spaz”.

mr_west on January 4, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Perhaps “Mop Head” Debbie needs to return to Florida to campaign for her seat. She is very beatable and most hope she gets a pink slip.

Amazingoly on January 4, 2012 at 6:17 AM

DWS is my favorite useful idiot. I like to count how many times she blinks when she on camera. The current over-under line is 325 times per minute.

Also, isn’t excessive blinking a sign of lying?

Paul507 on January 4, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Every time they allow DWS compassionate leave from the asylum, she does the GOP a great favor.

scamp on January 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Easy on Debbie, they could put somebody marginally competent in her seat. She is one of the best things the GOP has going into 2012. Suppose she thinks the lisp is cute?

StevC on January 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Cartoon.

Tim_CA on January 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM

You know why she speaks so stupidly and has an awful grating voice?

So blind people can hate her too

scboy on January 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Someone, please help me maintain my sanity. Confirm that the Schultz in the Schultz (from Wasserman-Schultz) does not mean she is in a relationship with Mr. Ed “Schultz.

MSGTAS on January 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM