Palin: Maybe Bachmann should endorse someone and get out

posted at 3:10 pm on January 3, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

By which I presume that Sarah Palin thinks someone else may be the Tim Tebow of IowaWilliam Jacobson calls this a “political coup de grace,” and perhaps just a wee bit of payback:

“As for Michelle Bachmann. She has a lot to offer, also, but I don’t think it is her time this go around. And I believe that unless she, too, wants to spend her own money or borrowing money and perhaps go into debt. Which heaven forbid, you do that to your family? Perhaps she is one, too, who would start saying ‘supporters of mine, why don’t we coalesce around one of the other candidates and let’s move together as a team to get that right primary candidate chosen?’

William gives a brief review of the personal history between Bachmann and Palin that he thinks might be coloring (and vindicating) Palin’s analysis, but this sounds like good, common political sense more than payback.  Bachmann gave this a good run, but a last-place finish in Iowa among active competitors — if that’s what happens tonight — leaves very little reason for Republicans elsewhere to back her candidacy.  Social conservatives and foreign-policy hawks can move to either Rick Santorum or Rick Perry; the former is probably closer to Bachmann on the issues, while the latter is better organized and has a better resume.  Her Midwestern appeal as a contrast to the other two options would be minimal in places like South Carolina and Florida, and Romney will almost certainly own Michigan.

Bachmann insists that she will persevere into South Carolina, but you won’t hear a candidate acknowledge defeat until it arrives.  Unless a Tebow-like miracle arrives tonight, I’d expect Bachmann to start looking at her options in holding her seat in the House after the redistricting adjustments here in Minnesota, and the opportunity to play kingmaker.

Palin also lays into Jon Huntsman for skipping Iowa altogether, calling it “offensive” to Republicans everywhere.  The decision to ignore Iowa and concentrate on Mitt Romney’s backyard in New Hampshire is less offensive than it is puzzling, but Huntsman won’t drop out this week because of a bad result in Iowa.  He’ll drop out next week after getting clobbered in New Hampshire, without any other path to the nomination.

Update: Made a minor grammatical change to the headline, after reading it a number of times and thinking the original “think about” construction made it awkward.

Update II: John Ziegler wonders why Palin’s asking Bachmann to get out while defending Donald Trump.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

I love the smell of deranged desperation in the evening…

idesign on January 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Troll a lot of bars at closing time, do you idle? Or is that just the smell you can’t seem to wash out of your bedding?

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Thank you. Hopefully all Americans will work together and we’ll be able to correct the terrible mistake of 2008.

bluefox on January 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM

What’s an idle? LOL

idesign on January 3, 2012 at 11:44 PM

LOL

M240H on January 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM

apocalypse

Is that you in the vid(s)?…

Gohawgs on January 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I never cease to be amazed at how a Sarah Palin thread drives some people absolutely bat sh!t crazy.

It happens every time.

bw222 on January 4, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Oh boy, you sure got me there. Good one! I couldn’t have possibly made a typo. No, no. That never happens. I have not used you’re in context in my other posts in this thread. You suuuuuure got me! PS, Palin is a hypocrite.

apocalypse on January 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

It’s not a typo. You made the same error in another thread – the one on the Iowa caucuses. I guess you really are an idiot.

dukecitygirl on January 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

If your not a fan of Michele Bachmann and Mike Huckabee… Please scroll past me… These people are definition of “The Classic Conservative Candidate”

apocalypse on January 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Now look in the mirror and say the idiot word.

dukecitygirl on January 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Now look in the mirror and say the idiot word.

dukecitygirl on January 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM

At least, Dec 2012 is mistaken…

Gohawgs on January 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Screw that sleazeball John Zeigler and whatever comments he has about Palin.

PhilipJames on January 4, 2012 at 1:46 AM

PhilipJames on January 4, 2012 at 1:46 AM,
Absolutely right. John Ziegler is a sleazeball, he cared about Sarah Palin. He used her and trashed her.

CoolChange80 on January 4, 2012 at 1:54 AM

You know, I really don’t understand why some people despise her. She isn’t running for election anywhere… WTF?

Aitch748 on January 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Oh, I think the reason for the contempt and rage expressed on this thread tonight is pretty obvious. It’s because those who are venting are not pleased by the advice she’s giving. Sarah Palin is shrewd enough to realize that if Bachmann exits, her supporters will go to one of the other Not-Mitts, such as Santorum. Right now Mitt looks good because the conservative vote is split four ways. If supporters of those groups begin to coalesce, Mitt is finished. In other words, Palin is an existential threat to Mittbots. No wonder they’re so upset at her and want her to “just go away.”

When I hear a commenter angrily write that “nobody gives a rat’s ass what she says anymore,” I think to myself, “You wish.”

Burke on January 4, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Foxnews is paying Sarah Palin to be a pundit. Sarah Palin was not the only one that said Bachmann should exit. Other pundits said the samething on TV.

Her 5 points enabled Romney to win. Bachmann probably would have stayed in if Perry was in. Since Perry is most likely to leave there is no reason for Bachmann to stay on for Romney. Her 2 or 3 points won’t matter much going forward.

Gov. Palin can’t be pleased about what is going on in the primary. Right now you have three groups running. You have Romney, Paul, and the conservative. The conservative vote is being shared. Huntsman has not put a dent in Romney yet.

If Perry and Bachmann drop out than I see Palin making an endorsement. Perry would most likly endorse Newt. Bachmann will endorse Romney.

Palin must understand that if she endorses she also has to campaign for the candidate. She can’t hide in Alaska and only pop down here once in a while. It is going to take alot to defeat Romney and all the traitors that have joined him.

She can’t wait much longer. She must endorse before others endorse. Her endorsement will bring others with her.

Bachmann will never be a kingmaker. She is done unless Romney is the POTUS and gives her a job.

oldyeller on January 4, 2012 at 3:27 AM

I love the smell of deranged desperation in the evening…
idesign on January 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM
M240H on January 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Sticking up for apocolypse?

Telling

Sonosam on January 4, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Sticking up for apocolypse?

Telling

Sonosam on January 4, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Nope. “tacolips” is on his own; I was just taking a shot at “idolt”.

M240H on January 4, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Michelle is done, even if she wants to go on the money just won’t be there. She should give it up and run for congress again. Iowa was her chance, her home State, losing there means it’s over.

Bachmann is my representative and I like the way she votes in congress.

jpmn on January 4, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Bachmann never stood a chance and Santorum has no future in this race. IF Bachmann and Santorum backed Rick Perry, one of them could be his Veep.
ABM – Anyone But Mittens

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on January 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM

It’s been awhile since we’ve had a thread dedicated to Our Lady of Wasilla – I’d forgotten just how much fun they were.

JFS61 on January 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM

And who appointed Sarah Palin the final authority of the GOP? Perhaps Ms. Palin ought to keep her opinions to herself!

PS: I am not a Michele Bachmann fan, however I find Sarah Palin a disgusting, worthless, publicity seeking witch!!!!! What has she EVER finished?

phoebe1 on January 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM

JFS61 on January 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Palin threads are always great entertainment. She’s the only public figure I know of whose mere mention can evoke levels of deranged vitriol and discord among those who are, supposedly, mostly in agreement on issues. Watching otherwise-rational site members transform into slavering hate-bots or loyal Knights in the Order of Sarah is high-larious.

Of course, all of this says little about Palin and screams volumes about the commentators on HotAir.

Harpazo on January 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I find Sarah Palin Bachmann a disgusting, worthless, publicity seeking witch!!!!! What has she EVER finished?

phoebe1 on January 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM

fify

idesign on January 4, 2012 at 9:23 AM

So is Michelle quitting the race today? Press conference at 11am.

Dino V on January 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM

phoebe1 on January 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM

^^^ nutty

darwin on January 4, 2012 at 9:34 AM

There are two issues relating to Sarah Palin. The first is her credibility as a candidate. The second is her credibility as a pundit.

I don’t think she has much credibility as a candidate. If she wanted credibility as a candidate, she should have jumped into the race long ago.

In regard to her credibility as a pundit, that is a different matter. She may not be as smart as Rove in regard to electoral strategy, but she has more credibility than he does as a conservative voice. And how did she acquire that credibility? She earned it by articulating persuasive, common sense, solidly conservative views on Facebook and in speeches for the period of two years Obama has held office. When nobody else was going to bat for the Tea Party (the fiscally conservative, constitutionalist) perspective, there she was, week after week, providing leadership with her speeches and columns.

When I watch Fox and I see Bill Kristol, Karl Rove and Sarah Palin stating opinions, I’m inclined to listen to Sarah Palin in particular because I trust that her end goals will most closely match mine. I know this because I listened to and read her views for the last two years and I found over time that her views matched mine. I want to hear her more than I want to hear the others, because even though the others are clever and knowledgeable, their philosophy and end goals don’t match mine.

Burke on January 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM

This isn’t tiddlywinks. Conservative Tea Partiers are fighting for their very survival as a force to be reckoned with. With Mitt getting 25% of the vote yesterday in Iowa, it appears on the surface as if he’s a strong candidate. But 55% of the people are voting “not-Mitt” (and then another 20% are voting Ron Paul). The “not-Mitts” need to coalesce around a candidate so that donor money won’t dry up for them. Donors won’t give money if the conservative vote is split.

The advice Palin made yesterday for Bachmann to leave the race was not easy to give. I’m sure she realized that she would upset a lot of people saying it. I’m sure she knew she’d get a lot of flak and snark from blogs and twitterers and pundits and columnists who would accuse her of being a quitter herself. But Palin has never been timid in the past concerning controversy, and she’s not being timid now. I have absolutely no doubt that if Newt or Santorum had come in at 5% rather than Bachmann, Palin would have recommended they leave instead. This is not personal. Conservatives need to coalesce, or we’ll be stuck with Romney. I would have gladly backed Bachmann if she were in the lead, but she’s diluting Tea Party importance at this point and I agree with Palin that for the good of the Tea Party, she should leave. Once again, as she used to do with Facebook, Palin is voicing a bold initiative and leading while others timidly hold back.

Burke on January 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Harpazo on January 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM

What it says about commentators on Hot Air is that many have a passion about politics generally missing among the vast herd of apathetic and politically ignorant cattle which compose most of our citizenry. Believe it or not, there is a big difference between Reagan and George H, between Goldwater and Bob Dole, between Thomas Sowell and Michael Medved, and between Palin and Mitt Romney. Romney doesn’t arouse strong passions because he’s a go-along get-along mush-speaking guy who remained fairly popular in a liberal state by allowing a liberal-fascist nightmare to become its healthcare system–oops! Thank God for commentators on Hot Air who stand up for what they believe is right for this country.

Burke on January 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Bachmann followed Palin’s advice.

ChuckTX on January 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Bachmann followed Palin’s advice.

ChuckTX on January 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Whom did Michele endorse?

Mitoch55 on January 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM

If there is a candidate who is comparable to Ronald Reagan in the United States it would be Mike Huckabee.

apocalypse on January 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Not. Even. Close.

Huckabee cultist.

tom on January 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Did some investigative work and tracked down the haters who have been working overtime for Sarah Palin: idesign, M240H, bluefox, Gohawgs, and dukecitygirl

apocalypse on January 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM

phoebe1 on January 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM

And who appointed you anything other than an annoying petty shrew who thinks they are entitled to an opinion but Palin isn’t.

While it is true Palin did not finish her term as governor, for all we know you didn’t finish high school or your community service for drug abuse. But here you are – criticizing Palin – as if you are of value to anyone outside your own family.

katiejane on January 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

There was a time when I supported Sarah Palin, but not after her Kent Sorenson style betrayal of Michele Bachmann asking her to DROP OUT the race and endorse someone else while in the very SAME INTERVIEW defending a Donald Trump potential run and not endorsing anybody herself (when asked).

apocalypse on January 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Sarah Palin pulled a Kent Sorenson-style betrayal of Michele Bachmann.

apocalypse on January 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

apocalypse on January 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

apocalypse on January 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

apocalypse on January 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Someone is obsessed.

dukecitygirl on January 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

“Palin delivers political coup de grâce to Bachman”
Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 9:18am

“Bachmann “suspends” campaign”
12:20 pm on January 4, 2012

Pretty good timing from a housewife who lives in Alaska.

Viator on January 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Burke on January 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM

What it says is that there are quite a few unhinged people who just have an irrational, visceral hatred of Sarah Palin; I don’t care what they describe themselves as ideologically. Unhinged is unhinged.

ddrintn on January 4, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Pretty good timing from a housewife who lives in Alaska.

Viator on January 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Yeah, what, about 12 hours later? Yet Sarah’s stoooooooopid. And why doesn’t she just die or at least disappear????111??//11!!!???

ddrintn on January 4, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Someone is obsessed.

dukecitygirl on January 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Hey duke… you and the “Sarah Palin freedom fighters”, idesign, bluefox, and Gohawgs, take a real great pic!

apocalypse on January 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Ziegler is right, and he’s taking a courageous stand here.

netster007x on January 5, 2012 at 2:07 AM

stenwin77 on Hotair, I believe she was Ellie something at Conservatives4Palin.
Makes me sad that she became so disgruntled by Sarah Palin that she has hatred and resentment. Ellie reminds me of Tammy Bruce in some ways. I think both of them are very good people. I know Tammy is a very good person. I scolded Tammy for her snarky remarks and mean tweet. I think both stenwin77 and Tammy Bruce got carried away. I have too. I even smashed a monitor and keyboard over anger related to Sarah Palin. I’m still here and I support Sarah Palin no matter what.(unless she goes on Dancing With The Stars or endorses Christine O’Donnell for something)

CoolChange80 on January 5, 2012 at 2:26 AM

apocalypse on January 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM,

Go Suck A Romney!

CoolChange80 on January 5, 2012 at 2:28 AM

oldyeller on January 4, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Sarah Palin has never just “hid out” in Alaska. I challenge you to find a more hardworking endorser in 2010; she was everywhere. It just happens to be where she lives.

And after what Bachmann and her people said about Palin last summer (“Bachmann’s the smarter version of Palin” ringing a bell?), Palin owes her less than nothing. Good riddance.

alwaysfiredup on January 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM

apocalypse on January 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Go Suck A Romney!

CoolChange80 on January 5, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I really out did myself on that one. Classic.

apocalypse on January 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM