Herman Cain promises the announcement of a new “national movement”

posted at 2:35 pm on January 3, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Oh, how I love PR ploys like this one! In a sign that he has been auditioning to be the next Sarah Palin after all, Herman Cain last night and this morning made the cable news show rounds. At every appearance, he declined to endorse any of the remaining GOP candidates for president — but he repeatedly hinted at an upcoming big reveal of a “national movement.” (How nice to single-handedly start a “national movement”!) If you remember, he actually started the hype for this at his campaign “suspension” announcement. (You remember that rock rally of an announcement, don’t you?)

Now, though, we know a bit more about his plans. We know, for example, that Gloria Cain “is very supportive of this national movement.” We know he wants the movement to be a home for his former supporters and the “politically homeless.” We know he plans to officially announce the movement to Sean Hannity on Fox News tomorrow night.

But in case all of that doesn’t provide enough intrigue to keep viewers interested, Cain still claims he will endorse a candidate eventually — and in an “unconventional” manner in keeping with his “unconventional candidate” theme, to boot. Cain told Fox News’ Jenna Lee this morning that he is not endorsing a candidate right now because he doesn’t want to split his supporters at this time. Instead, he wants to continue to inspire his followers to be involved and to ensure they show up at the polls to vote for the GOP nominee and against Barack Obama. In other words, he’s still committed to the mission, which is to oust Obama; he just doesn’t want to waste a potential publicity boost later by endorsing now.

Then again, perhaps all of that is too harsh. Any time I write about Cain, I’m still uncomfortably aware that his version of it all could be the truth; he could have been the victim of MSM character assassination. I don’t think that, but I don’t know. Either way, with the suspension of his campaign, the clamor about the Herman Cain scandals receded — and, in every interview he delivered yesterday and today, Cain was upbeat about his family and concentrated on the specific message of beating Obama. He and his wife welcomed Grandchild No. 4 on New Year’s Day, and, in the end, some things — like that new little life! — are far more important than politics (although, paradoxically, that new little life is also why politics matters so profoundly).

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ron Paul is winning the Drudge primary. heh. I dont see the point of internet polls anymore.

Flapjackmaka on January 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Will you join?

Nope

mythicknight on January 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM

How to pick up chicks while not letting your old lady find out?

lorien1973 on January 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM

sounds sexy…

Drunk Report on January 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Is the Cain train rolling across the plain?

DanMan on January 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I hope this is about Godfather’s Pizza expanding. So hungry.

Jeddite on January 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM

What? “The National Hot Women for Herman Movement”?

NickDeringer on January 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM

America Elect? Cain’s been recruited by America Elect?

Skandia Recluse on January 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Cain told Fox News’ Jenna Lee this morning that he is not endorsing a candidate right now because he doesn’t want to split his supporters at this time.

What supporters?

Trafalgar on January 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Drudge has his own Caucus poll up today… already 120,000 votes :-P

dforston on January 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I heard that his “National Movement” was what got him into trouble in the first place……

search4truth on January 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I guess that coveted Fox Contract didn’t materialize…huh?

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Dear Herman. Shut the hell up.

honeybadger on January 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM

A lot of folks believed in him and contributed money to his campaign.. any plans to return the leftover money to those folks?

jdivito on January 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM

All aboard the Cain train! Next stop TLC? More likely the next stop is obscurity.

MNcommonsense on January 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I heard that his “National Charming the Ladies Movement” was what got him into trouble in the first place……

search4truth on January 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

fify

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM

That ship sailed long ago, Herm.

MisterElephant on January 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM

A lot of folks believed in him and contributed money to his campaign..

Never ever donate money in the primaries. Odds are it will be a wasted donation.

Then again, this rule also applies in the general.

lorien1973 on January 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Hey, Herman is beating Joan Huntsman on Drudge!

You go Herm!

honeybadger on January 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Yawn.

SlaveDog on January 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I nominate Cain to be Booty Czar.

NeoKong on January 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

POTUS
FOX News Pundit

Ummmmm….

Sec. of Defense

Ummmm….

Leader of an Obscure Movement to raise money or something…

Ding…Ding…Ding!

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Good for him. If he’s going to have supporters, or have the ear of some segment of voters and he’s willing to add to the effort to defeat Obama, more power to him. And I say that knowing full well that a lot of this is to keep the money rolling in so he can spend it.

Dusty on January 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Tina , dont become bitter at Palin like Megan Mccain now. Even though you’re young and blond…

Didn’t he tell us it was Perry?..

the_nile on January 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I heard his new organization will be co-chaired by Mark Sanford and Nikki Haley. Newt has expressed interest if his campaign fizzles out, as well.

Of course, all of that is rumor, unsubstantiated by anyone I could name in public.

DRayRaven on January 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Lot of Cain supporters here I see.

Bmore on January 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I caught a bit of an interview with him this morning while waiting on line at a campus office. He was asked if he would consider another run for president and his response was that his biological clock would not allow it because he plans to retire in 9 years. Has to be the most bizarre way to answer that question considering….

ruthiedog on January 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM

“9-9-9!”…?

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on January 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Ideally we’d have a dress with DNA spattered all over it, a special prosecutor, and legal proceedings to work out exactly what Cain did and did not do.

But we don’t.

Instead you base your judgement on the word of a bunch of trussed up hussies?

Interesting.

CorporatePiggy on January 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM

The Farmer’s Daughter was on TMC last night. There was a politician with a “national movement” in that, too. “We’re doing a swell job, we just have to keep things under wraps for a while,” he says on the QT to Ethel Barrymore. When the pol was thrown out of the house, the butler throws the guy’s hat at him saying “And don’t forget your hood.”

It gave me a creepy feeling, again, last night, and those two words give me a creepy feeling today.

vityas on January 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I hope this is about Godfather’s Pizza expanding. So hungry.

Me too. I think I just may order a large with onion tomotoes and jalapenos

poljunkie51 on January 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I WAS in favor of Cain until he self-destructed and quit the race. But his endorsement really doesn’t make any difference to me as to who I will vote for in the primary now. I hate to say it, but this latest bit is kind of pathetic – sort of like Brett Favre/Farve/Fervor/Favor TRYING to come back over and over and over – long after he should have just stayed retired.

dentarthurdent on January 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM

You could maybe tell yourself that lie if it was just one woman making allegations.

By the third, fourth, fifth, etc., I think it’s fair to say that his version of things probably wasn’t really in line with actual reality.

Vyce on January 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Does his new movement come with extra toppings?

It sounds rather cheesy.

Alferd Packer on January 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

$10k says that it’s his own PAC. CainPAC or something similar to Palin. Cain was a breath of fresh air initially, now it’s just stale and sour.

luckedout26 on January 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

If Perry doesn’t get the nomination – the person who does has to get his ad guy.

This is one dang good ad.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Good. I want to hear him say this again:
“That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,”
Nobody says it better.

Go Herman!

balkanmom on January 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

“Where are all the white women?” /Herb

trs on January 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Another national movement to join?

Like Glenn Beck’s and so many other hucksters?

A real movement isn’t planned or manufactured. It just “happens” by people “moved” and happen to have shared ideas and goals, like the civil rights movement.

Canned movements inevitably find themselves just that, canned.

Logus on January 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM

“Nein, nein, nein!”

Akzed on January 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM

He’s still around?

Durandal on January 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Will you join?

Nope

mythicknight on January 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Double ditto!

NextGenerationVoters on January 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM

“New National Movement” – Herman Cain selling Ex-Lax

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Go away Herman, your time in the spotlight has elapsed. I see you for the publicity mongering media whore you are.

echosyst on January 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM

His new movement will be entitled: “Plan 69″

search4truth on January 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM

The level of intellectual discourse has devolved to the lowest common denominator on Hot Air.

Used to be a great blog to read.

Sparky5253 on January 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

This is one dang good ad.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Super ad, thanks for sharing! At certain angles, he reminds me of a young Reagan.

herm2416 on January 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Aren’t you folks being a little hardon Herman?

hoofhearted on January 3, 2012 at 3:07 PM

herm2416 on January 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I never know where to put stuff so I’m not OT and people see it. I swear we need an open thread for all the candidates just for this kind of stuff.

It’s a fantastic ad.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Yadda yadda yadda, Cain has been blathering about a “citizen’s movement” and “intelligent thinkers’ movement” on his radio show for awhile now. Anyone who has listened to him on the radio over the years knows that this is really nothing new, its his way of trying to build an audience.

Lawdawg86 on January 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I thought the groundhog does’nt come out until February.

KOOLAID2 on January 3, 2012 at 3:09 PM

59-29-49

You could say she’s got alot
Whole Lotta Rosie – the Herman Cain version

D-fusit on January 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Used to be a great blog to read.

Sparky5253 on January 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

2 possibilities:
- open enrollment or
- rebranding to HotGas

take the poll now.

t8stlikchkn on January 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM

flimflam, chicanery, skullduggery, gimmick, shenanigan, crookery, sham, hoax, fraud, swindle, sham, leger de main, scam… mountebank.

equanimous on January 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Then again, this rule also applies in the general.

lorien1973 on January 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Agreed. I always offer to volunteer my time when they call asking for money.

Lawdawg86 on January 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Just say NO to Cain.

southsideironworks on January 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Herman’s got 99 problems but a

Never mind. Godspeed pizza man!

KeninCT on January 3, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Herman, I love ya but no. Just…no.

Crusty on January 3, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Well, we can count on Cain not calling his “national movement” “Occupy White House”.

timberline on January 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Ok go Cain. I have an open mind and I will listen, a movement to defeat obama doesn’t sound bad to me..

tinkerthinker on January 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Oh, Herman. Just go away.

sjsturkie on January 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM

He cannot go away so enough for me.

teri_b on January 3, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Used to be a great blog to read.

Sparky5253 on January 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

You choose to say this, now, in this thread?

You should have expressed those thoughts a few days prior, during Tina’s IMMENSELY embarrassing “I don’t want to turn this into a fashion blog, but ladies, please dress modestly on New Year’s Eve…” thread.

Vyce on January 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Dear Herman. Shut the hell up.

honeybadger on January 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Hey, Herman is beating Joan Huntsman on Drudge!

You go Herm!

honeybadger on January 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM

There’s only four minutes linear time between those two posts.
Would the real honeybadger please stand up?

Or at least show me where I’m missing it.

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Only if it’s nine pizza’s with nine toppings all for nine dollars. After that I will have a movement, but it will not be national.

jake49 on January 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Testing

jake49 on January 3, 2012 at 3:42 PM

jake49 on January 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM

15:00
15:01

Bye, Mr. Cain.

DrSteve on January 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Sorry Herm, Fox doesn’t have an open slot for you. They like The Five.

rubberneck on January 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Let me get this straight. He’s been paying another woman’s bills behind Gloria’s back, but he’s going to lead an “intelligent thinkers’ movement”? ;-)

TheClearRiver on January 3, 2012 at 3:49 PM

9-9-9? How about dumb, dumb, dumb? Or con job, con job, con job? The pic on the post says “will you join”? Join the giant con job that is Herman Cain? Nope.

libertarianlunatic on January 3, 2012 at 3:50 PM

This is one dang good ad.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Yeah…That’s a damned good ad. Thanks for posting it.

Gig Em’ & Rock it in Iowa
Perry 2012

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Odd. Most people in here and talk radio treated people like apostates, for pointing out Cain was a joke, a couple months ago.

Interesting. Just to make sure I’m correct on where I need to be on this long list of failure….am I suppose to be supporting Santorum now? Just wondering. Did Rush give orders on that today?

AYNBLAND on January 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I’m not even going to read this.

Givemeabreak! This lying “hasbeen”……….

Gotta sell dos books.

avagreen on January 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Is this to be the way it is for Republicans who are exposed as not being capable of executing a national campaign? They start their own “movement”?

There’s a movement that needs your help already, Herman: THE CONSERVATIVE MOVEMENT. Don’t try and reinvent the wheel.

greggriffith on January 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

AYNBLAND on January 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM

dirk huntsman – the orders have been issued. enjoy, apostatoe.

t8stlikchkn on January 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Methinks Mr. Cain got addicted rather quickly to “campaign contributions”. Flimflam artists can sense a money scheme faster than an heiress can drop her drawers.

Oracleforhire on January 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Go Cain Co!! You fooled the idiots once…why not twice? I hope you are able to line your pockets just like Sarah. Slap a Constitution on a RV and go around the country on the Grope Bus!!!You got railroaded by the LSM!!! ha..ha…ha

ZippyZ on January 3, 2012 at 4:12 PM

How on earth could Cain’s version(s) be the truth when he told several different ones?

On one sub-topic alone, the matter of settlements paid by the National Restaurant Association to employees after Cain’s advances, he told all these stories in a single day, after having ten days’ notice the story would break:

1. Don’t know anything about settlements, hope they didn’t pay much because nothing happened.
2. They were paid only normal severance packages, what they would have received anyway.
3. Denied there were settlements because I thought of them as “agreements,” not “settlements” (Bill Clinton loves this one)!
4. I knew nothing about the settlements at the time.

He was lying his butt off about this and everything else concerning the allegations.

Adjoran on January 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Doesn’t Herman Cain know that Ashley Madison already exists? Is that what his idea of a new national movement would be?

jrfromdallas on January 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

If this means the beginnings of a National Political Tea Party for 2016, consider me all in.

The Republican Party has dropped its mask of being any *ostensible* opposition to the Democrats: smearing to defend any and all things…well, not *QUITE* as Left (hence Romney).
THE REPUBLICAN PARTY MUST DIE in 2016. I will do what I can to ensure the success of A TEA PARTY for 2016, to replace the rancid carcass currently in place. IN THE MEANWHILE, Gingrich *IS* my first choice of those running. (best wishes to WCA!)

Czar of Defenestration on January 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

AYNBLAND on January 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM

You are as boring as you are predictable as you are irrelevant.

tom daschle concerned on January 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Gophergirl

Great ad! Thanks for sharing.

To the poster who said he (Rick Perry) looked like a young Reagan, I thought the same thing.

Nana on January 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM

There’s only four minutes linear time between those two posts.
Would the real honeybadger please stand up?

Or at least show me where I’m missing it.

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM

OK, so exactly what is confusing you?

Herman Cain should just shut up and Joan Huntsman should be so proud to be getting whupped by a guy who quite the race over a month ago.

honeybadger on January 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Hey Tina,

How can a guy have an affair when he has stage 4 colon cancer?

LevinFan on January 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Amazing that a bunch of hearsay drives Cain from the race but a bunch of racist and anti Semitic newsletters don’t do a thing while RuPaul is on the verge of possibly winning Iowa!!

Good thing people have their priorities straight!!

The truth is the LSM will give Rumpelstiltskin a pass hoping he gets the nomination and then wait to rip him apart — same strategy they have for Mittens.

LevinFan on January 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Will you join?

..Nein..nein..nein!

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I miss him….a lot. When he was still running, each day began with an anticipation of excitement, adventure, new revelations, new protestations of innocence. That’s all gone now. We’re back to standard fare politics.

a capella on January 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Used to be a great blog to read.

Sparky5253 on January 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Hot Air has been one of my favorite reads for years, it has gone downhill. I’m one of those new enrollers, now I’m ashamed to say that.

NEWRIVERELECTRIC on January 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Ron Paul thread? Did I miss something?

Bmore on January 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Czar of Defenestration on January 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I’m all in fot a party to doom the Republican socialist party. The two party system of democrats(Marxists/Communists and repunlicams(Socialists/Marxists) have ruined the country. If we are to save the republic, it will have to come from a different political party or from other means.

they lie on January 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I’m all in fot for a party to doom the Republican socialist party. The two party system of democrats(Marxists/Communists and (Socialists/Marxists)republicans have ruined the country. If we are to save the republic, it will have to come from a different political party or from other means.

they lie on January 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM

they lie on January 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

NEWRIVERELECTRIC on January 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Don’t let the door hit you in the azz.

they lie on January 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Hey Herm, here’s an idea – how about a movement of people (like yourself) who were NOT following the issues, who will now decide to stand up and pay attention?

disa on January 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Used to be a great blog to read.

Sparky5253 on January 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Could be that the discussion of late has centered around the Republican POTUS primary and there’s nothing about the candidates that are intellectual.Just BS.

they lie on January 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

NEWRIVERELECTRIC on January 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Maybe the new enrollees have had a part in that decline.

disa on January 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Herman, the goal is to get Obama out of office.
Use your talents to convince others to not vote for Obama.

albill on January 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Tina, Et al,

I am more inclined to now believe that he was or mostly was telling the truth..AS SOON as he dropped jis bid..the accusations stopped, and the accusers are silent…their mission being complete. if we had real journalists the follow-up would be there to find out what happened to the people and concerns that rocked the media airwaves fro severa weeks straight without every being resolve dto anyone’s satisfaction (except the democratic operatives who most likely orchestrated the whole “affair” (pun intended). Was never totally on the Cain train but afew of our posters could do us a favor and post a few links about what the accusers are doing now or people that they are associated with that may have paid them off…rather than continually acting like liberals and just tearing down someone without any HARD evidence!!!!!

RedLizard64 on January 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

They already have a movement for him – Ashley Madison

BrideOfRove on January 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM

AYNBLAND on January 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM
You are as boring as you are predictable as you are irrelevant. (see link)

tom daschle concerned on January 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM

No, actually I’m more of a one trick pony. Just think someone should point our what hypocrites so many people are and/or how often folks here and on Talk Radio get it wrong.

I guess the fact that most here backed Cain, will go into the dustbin of history.

AYNBLAND on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM