Good Perry ad: “America is calling”

posted at 4:55 pm on January 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

Well done, and almost certainly too late to do him any good. Although how much good would it have done him, really, if he’d started airing it a month ago? Offhand I can’t think of a single positive ad that’s changed the game for any candidate. The gamechanging moments in the campaign have all come at the debates or after an onslaught of negative ads. Which reminds me: If Romney ends up winning tonight and sweeps through New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Florida this month, here’s a fun fact out of Iowa that’ll haunt you forever.

Mitt Romney has long been considered the frontrunner for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, but if he wins Iowa’s caucuses on Tuesday, it will be partly because of one extraordinary fact: Not one of his Republican rivals ran a negative TV ad against him in the state.

Sure, Romney was sometimes mentioned in the onslaught of attack ads that swept Iowa airwaves in the final days of the campaign. Ron Paul ran a television ad trashing Romney and Newt Gingrich as members of the status quo who won’t bring the leadership necessary to really change Washington. And Make Us Great Again, a super PAC backing Rick Perry’s candidacy, ran ads that took aim at Romney and Gingrich, questioning their conservative credentials.

But none of Romney’s 2012 rivals ran an ad solely taking on the former Massachusetts governor—a sign that they perhaps underestimated his rise in Iowa.

That will all change dramatically in New Hampshire, of course, but by then it might be too late to stop Mittmentum. Go look at this chart of how much each candidate spent in Iowa. Contrary to popular belief, it wasn’t the rich guy who buried the state in advertising dollars. It was … Rick Perry. And somehow, unbelievably, neither he nor Ron Paul nor Gingrich ever got around to taking a shot at the one person in the field poised to wipe them all out before Super Tuesday. Says Byron York, “If voters are looking for the best alternative to Romney, they probably want to identify the candidate who can make the best case against Romney. Yet the potential anti-Romneys spent their time attacking each other. In the end, they didn’t help themselves and they let Romney off scot-free.” Try to find some comfort in this if/when a Romney victory tonight seals our fate: Unlike the rest of the field, Romney and his team at least could beat a bunch of five-year-olds in a strategic battle of wits.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

That ad gave me the chills.
Wow.
Go Perry!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I know – it is very powerful

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

HornetSting on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Sorry-but I firmly believe that Perry’s the best candidate in the race…and I strongly support him.*but not in a messianic/personality cult way. wink*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM

If Romney is the candidate I will back him 100%.
But he isn’t the candidate yet.
I am backing Perry until he drops out.

But you will notice that I back HIM….I don’t attack the other candidates.
I will continue to post the positives about Perry.
Because I believe in HIM!
I sure don’t need to tear someone else down in order to make him look good.

His RECORD does that for him.
Just my two cents

ArmyAunt on January 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Perry has been winning or close to winning each debate… sometimes it pays to actually watch the debates instead of parroting the MSM talking points.

Rapunzel on January 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Just because Perry didn’t forget his name and actually faced the camera doesn’t mean he won the debate. Perry has been outclassed in every single debate. Sure he had a few decent moments, but the majority of the field looks good on 70% of their responses and in the cases of Romney and Gingrich, they are closer to 90%+.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I know that Perry doesn’t attract a whole lot of supporters, but those people he does attract appear to be nasty and ignorant.

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Or….

You know what it’s not worth it.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Actually, I have found Perry supporters to be the worst of the worst. We’re talking Palinista-level embarrassing. Santorum, Bachmann and even Paul supporters all seem fine. I actually think it’s great that the Ron Paul people are as enthusiastic as they are. Anyway, there must be something about Perry that attracted the mouth-breathers.

I worry about anyone who would consider voting for the “special needs” clown Rick Perry.

Interesting you call Perry (and his supporters) stupid, but it was Romney who has a dismal record as a ONE TERM (because he was unelectable for a second term) governor…..

Rapunzel on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Trouble is we see the wide open border he could have controled, as we Texans want it secure and we would have supported him.APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 3, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Speak for yourself.

I’m a native Texan and I know the Feds have been screwin us on the border since W was in office when NHS started poaching our agents in 2003. Perry will shut it down & stop Obama’s war on Texas & the Red States!

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I’m a Perry supporter-and I have autism. I’m STILL brighter than you are.
Now-shut your worthless yap, moron.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

blue gill.

I have a “special needs” niece.

Your comment is repugnant.
Amazing that you say that the Perry supporters are “mouth breathers”.
If so, then you are the leader of them.

ArmyAunt on January 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

No, he’s not a rocket scientist, but he was a fighter pilot.

Texican Ben on January 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Well, he took too many G’s, too many times, and for far too long.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

ArmyAunt on January 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Thank you.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM

You know what it’s not worth it.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Mittbots have Great Perry AD & Texas Record Envy

Too Bad Mitt can’t change his history or his chances.

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Perry answered this “no negative ads against Romney” charge on tv.

He said the differences (contrasts, if you will) between he and Romney are “legendary”

And Perry is right. Why pour money down a rathole when any blind fool knows that Romney is a big government Republican.

Silly, Allah, very, very silly.

redneck hippie on January 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Spoken like a person who didn’t actually WATCH the debates or read the threads where pundits — not necessarily Perry supporter — agreed he did great. and, BTW, an idiot would not have handled Mike Allen as smoothly as Perry did yesterday …… but you know what, they underestimated George W. Bush, too… I will go on the mans’ record and Perry has a great record as governor of Texas, unlike Romney’s record in MA during GOOD economic times.

Rapunzel on January 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Rick Perry, former Democrat.
Rick Perry, Trans Texas Corridor
Rick Perry, a little power Gov. per the state constitution.
Rick Perry, add, in a carhart coat with the Rio Grande behind him.
“I’ll put a fence here and stop this illegal immigration”

Rick Perry, after getting elected..”A Fence, that is not possible.”

enough already

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

HornetSting on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM

And, your support is the kiss of death. Next, you HAVE to support Romney, Ms. Pawlenty.

HornetSting on January 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Not only has Rick Perry supported illegal alien amnesty, he also opposes mandatory E-Verify! And, before Perry’s latest reelection campaign, he REFUSED to strongly support Jan Brewer’s AZ immigration law. Perry, who opposes a border security fence, would be no better than Obama at stopping illegal immigration.

What’s more, Rick Perry says anyone who doesn’t support his “tuition breaks for illegal aliens” scheme is heartless.

See Rick Perry defend his pro-illegal alien ways in the video linked below. It is no mystery why Perry’s campaign has crashed and burned.

Rick Perry Says You Are Heartless if You Oppose Tuition Breaks for Illegals (click)

Here’s another clip of Perry showing what kind of candidate he would be.

The REAL Perry – Perry Discusses His Plans, But Has Some Trouble Doing so (click)

RICK “Oops” Perry is a JOKE.

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Or….
You know what it’s not worth it.
gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

There were a few nasty latecomers from Redstate who fit that bill, but for the most part Perry supporters here at HA have just been cheering their guy and trying to sell him. Nothing wrong with that.

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM

No problem.
A person like bluegill is the worst of the worst.
And pretty ignorant to boot.

Insulting the other candidates and their supporters is just counter productive.

I will support whoever the nominee is.
Until there is one though, my choice is Perry.
Because of his record.
And yes, I have compared his to Romneys.
I prefer Perrys.

ArmyAunt on January 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM

……But, he believes it for our children and MEXICO’s children.
Then, I remember the three things that won’t allow me to vote for Rick Perry. 1. I am not heartless. I believe in the rule of law and that OUR children come first. 2. I want a candidate that can cream obama’s corn in a debate. 3. And, I forgot the last reason.
I hope TheRightMan’s handlers hid all he knives, pills, and meat cleavers. It’s going to be very painful. Same for Capitalist Piglet and her Perry jammies and Aslan’s Girl. All hat, no cattle.

HornetSting on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

bwahahahahahaha!!! Look, I have no clue where you and I sit on agreeing/disagreeing, but I about wet, crapped, and cried, all at the same time reading that! It is comments like that, that make the dog days of the Iowa caucus worth every moment!

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I don’t think it will be over on Super Tuesday. Some political analyst on Fox News today was saying it is very unlikely for it to end before April because of the way delegates are split up now. Well see. Also I have a feeling that Mitt isn’t going to win S. Carolina or Florida.

terryannonline on January 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Yes, what might have been. I would love to see hi President. I’d love to see almost any of these candidates President.

Perry stumbled early. But it’s how you finish that matters. Maybe he’ll finish well.

JellyToast on January 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Do you have NOTHING positive to say about your own candidate?!?

Wow!

ArmyAunt on January 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

and every one of them has fingerprints on the biggest issues of the election; the economy, debt, deficits and expansive g’ment

DanMan on January 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM

terryannonline on January 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I hope not. I get to vote in June. I had to vote for Ron Paul last primary as a protest vote against maverick.

HornetSting on January 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

ArmyAunt on January 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I’m with you. As long as the nominee isn’t the Ronulan(it won’t be) I’ll support them-but I’m supporting Perry as long as he’s in the race.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

[...]
I have a “special needs” niece.[...]

ArmyAunt on January 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I feel sorry for her that she has such a childish, foul-mouthed woman for an aunt. You make Perry supporters look even worse with your nasty mouth.

And, for the record, Rick Perry does appear to have a learning disability. I don’t hate the guy, but he is NOT up to the task of being president. I do NOT want that idiot leading this country. Not going to happen!

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

“”This election is about stopping a president of the United States and his administration that is abusing the Constitution of this country, that is putting America on a track to bankruptcy,” Perry told a hotel ballroom packed with more than 200 volunteers.

“It is a powerful moment in Americans’ history, and you are on the front lines,” he added. “This is Concord. This is Omaha Beach. This is going up the hill realizing that the battle is worth winning.”

Those supporters, who represent 32 states, descended on the Perry team’s nerve center at the West Des Moines Sheraton after the Christmas holiday. About 500 of them will fan out to caucus sites today across the state to advocate for the Texas governor…”

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Here’s another clip of Perry showing what kind of candidate he would be.

RICK “Oops” Perry is a JOKE.

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

If you cannot figure out the difference between the in-state tuition law and “amnesty” then you are even dumber than your posts have indicated so far. As to e-verify, he wants something different because e-verify doesn’t work!

Rapunzel on January 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

HornetSting on January 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I don’t support Romney, but I do support and remember your great Meghan McCain fatty jokes, csdeven.

HornetSting on January 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Thanks – that’s very nice of you to say.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Rapunzel on January 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I watch all the debates as if I have no preferred candidate. This allows me, well, exposes me to the truth of these candidates. The anticipation every time it is Perry’s turn to answer is akin to watching a monkey trying to hump a football. Sometimes he gets a handle on the d@mn thing, but for the most part he just ends up frustrated with his wiener in his hands.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I about wet, crapped, and cried, all at the same time reading that!
csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM

ewww

cptacek on January 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM

DanMan on January 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Can’t deny that. But what are we supposed to do? The strong conservatives decided not to run or were completely incapable of attracting the indies.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Rapunzel on January 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Tuitin breaks for illegal aliens is part of de facto amnesty. I do not want PRO ILLEGAL ALIEN AMNESTY Rick Perry as my president!

Perry is weak on illegal immigration, and all you Perry supporters can do is make excuses for the man. Perry is nothing but another GW Bush or John McCain when it comes to illegal immigration. NO TO PERRY!

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Bluegill…….Actually I have found you to be the one who is full of hate and spewing venmom, making fun of someone who has lived an examplary life. Perry has voluntarily served his country and his state,while the best you can do is claim he and his supporters are stupid and the worst.

Take a look in the mirror smarty! You have covered this comment section with plenty of nasty adjectives your closed mind seems to bring forth, which is not very much, and repeticious at that.

Take a chill pill fella!

tomshup on January 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM

he REFUSED to strongly support Jan Brewer’s AZ immigration lawbluegill on January 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Texas signed on to the AZ suit and Perry defended Brewer when the other border Governors wanted to keep her out of the Border State Conference.

Perry won’t build a wall in the middle of the Rio Grande River….That’s why he’s for strategic fencing and Boots on the ground.

Perry is for an E-Verify system that works since the one proposed only works less than 1% of the time.

All you do is lie.

You have nothing good to say about Romney’s record as Governor…why is that?

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Here’s to Perry shocking even you AP tonight.

It’s going to be quite a night if he does.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I really hope you’re right, gophergirl. This ad was very good, so that can’t hurt!

Naturally Curly on January 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM

HornetSting on January 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Oh, those were some great times for sure!

Romney is hard to support….almost as hard as it was last time, but Obama scares the $hit out of me and I want him gone.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I was open to voting for Perry… that is, until I heard him in the debates and watched him in interviews. The man is a clown, plain and simple. The more I found out about Perry (e.g., his PRO ILLEGAL ALIEN positions), the less I liked. Perry would lose to Obama in a landslide and would be an embarrassing president even if he were to win.

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I notice that you’re ignoring me.
Sparing with a woman who has autism is more than you can handle-eh, ‘special needs’ boy?
*killer glare over glasses*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM

WHEN did he do that? AFTER his last reelection campaign.

Why do you think that Jan Brewer can’t stand Perry? Because Perry threw her under the bus when she needed the support most!

Perry is a fake who is trying to act all tough on illegal immigration now, but when it mattered he caved to the pro-amnesty lobby while trying to pander to certain groups in TX for votes. Perry is no man of principle.

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Stop worrying about us. Start worrying about yourself. Get medical attention.

PS: I hate people who think they are somehow superior to Special Needs people. The ones that I have met are sone of the gutsiest and honest people I have seen in my lifetime. So shut up with your garbage already.

antisocial on January 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

terryannonline on January 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Texas is a month after Super Tuesday & that’s a lot of delegates…

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

‘yo bluegill, what is it you like so much about Romney again?

I have a different take. We have the luxury of having Romney in the wings but he kept a lot of good people with less gumption than the current crop that is running with him from getting in because of his huge war chest.

I supported Romney over McCain last time. McCain beat him. What makes Romney better now? The only thing I can think of is he’s way better than Obama because now we know who Obama is (most of us knew). Romney’s record does not speak of conservative creds but he’s no marxist wanting a new order. He’ll do if that’s what floats to the top and I doubt he’ll veto any conservative legislation. For that we need the house and senate and just about any of these candidates will motivate the electorate to help in that cause.

DanMan on January 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Thanks – that’s very nice of you to say.
gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

You’re welcome! I’m not a Perry fan, but it’s a democratic process and I don’t think it’s a real shocker that folks want to promote their guy/gal. Besides, it wouldn’t be very interesting otherwise.

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

He is NOT “PRO ILLEGAL ALIEN” that is a lie you keep trying to spam the site with, which only makes me believe the rest of anything you post is a lie.

Rapunzel on January 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Texas is a month after Super Tuesday & that’s a lot of delegates…

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Yep. I’m a Texan and would like the opportunity to vote without the outcome practically inevitable. I know John McCain locked up the nomination after Texas voted.

terryannonline on January 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Great ad! Rick Perry is a great candidate. I get so tired of hearing ~~~~what could have been~~~ if only he could debate~~~~ other foolishness when not one vote has been cast. Dont’t count him out so soon. You do not know what each voter is thinking.

Tn.-Vol on January 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Initially, I knew nothing about Perry. I was pleading with the few Texans we had here to share their experiences with us. They were evenly divided in their praise and criticism. The one that got me was the “heartless” comment. Too much compassionate conservatism there. And then the debate performances happened. One botched performance I understood, but then another, and another, and another dismal performance, and that was it.

He will not survive the onslaught of an Obama debate and I would be being willfully obtuse to think his canned ads and manipulated one-on-ones would carry him against Obama.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:20 PM

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM

ABO baby. We’re all in this together. I say we vote our hearts in the primaries and vote our heads with the results. Any of these GOP candidates is a huge departure from the looming disaster that is more Obama. Even bluegill knows this.

DanMan on January 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM

If you can get past the miserable snark by this woman, here is an article on one of Perry’s rallies.

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I know John McCain locked up the nomination after Texas voted.

terryannonline on January 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Pretty sure McCain already had it when we got to vote in the primary. I vividly recall Romney saying he was in it to win it, me sending him a check and him dropping out all within four days. We were left with Operation Chaos.

This year it will be well decided before we got to vote. Our primary has been moved back to late April or May because of redistricting.

DanMan on January 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Are You Kidding?

Rick Perry has beaten both an Aelrod & a Rove campaign. He’s got more practice making liberal heads explode then anybody except Newt.

Perry will get under Obama’s skin like he’s gotten under Romney’s skin…like a thirsty tick.

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

DanMan on January 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Oh I didn’t know that. So basically my primary vote is not gonna count again. Terrific.

terryannonline on January 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Is Rick “you are our last great hope” Perry in last place or is Huntsmann?

Heck of a campaign Ricky. I guess it was all about Book sales and hogging the microphone to satisfy his craving for attention.

PS: How sad for Team Ricky :)
PSS: How sad. Sad for team Ricky :)

Sorry about the typo! :)
Bishop said “First” and I wet my pants laughing.
PS: Sorry for not putting a smiley on the last sentence.

Frobenius on January 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

ABO baby.

DanMan on January 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Considering Perry is running 5th against even Ron Paul, how do you figure he has done anything as a tick except send people looking for an ointment?

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Heck of a campaign Ricky.

Frobenius on January 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

But he’s a tick. Whatever that means.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

HornetSting on January 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Oh, those were some great times for sure!

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM

No doubt, but I agree. The end game is obama in the unemployment line.

HornetSting on January 3, 2012 at 6:36 PM

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM

He rattled Romney on TV…made for some good ads too.

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 6:24 PM

lot of nervous fear disguised as snark in that article.

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM

But he’s a tick. Whatever that means.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I’ll bet you don’t get outside much

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Nice ad by Team Perry..:)

Dire Straits on January 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I think I hear people picking up their pitch forks ;) Will the ghost of John McCain, be exorcised or resuscitated tonight?

The GOP hopes for a big a turn out as they had in 2010. The Democrats have turned their sights to Iowa as one of the states that could lead to Obama’s reelection. Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and Iowa.

Dr Evil on January 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM

WHEN did he do that? AFTER his last reelection campaign.

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Perry did not throw my governor, Jan Brewer, under the bus. He did stand up for her when Arnold and the then (Democratic) governor of NM wanted to throw her under the bus. In addition, Joe Arpaio (Sheriff Joe) has endorsed Perry and campaigned with him…. Sheriff Joe WOULD NOT support anyone who was pro-amnesty. IT really helps when you are going to say things online to have your facts straight.

Rapunzel on January 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM

He rattled Romney on TV…made for some good ads too.

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I understand that his supporters would key on a single moment after his dismal performances, but it wasn’t memorable to the rest of the GOP. And it certainly isn’t helping him.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Great ad! I like Perry, I am going to back him as long as he is there to back. I feel sick when I think about the possibility of having to vote for Romney. He is a (poisonous)snake in the grass.

redlucy on January 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I’ll bet you don’t get outside much

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Yeah, I do. That is why the tick analogy makes no sense. No one I know panics at having a tick. They are simply a disgusting parasite that is easily dispatched. Is that what you wanted to convey? That Perry is a parasite?

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Oh Brother…it’s a colloquial expression.

Why don’t you tell the rest of the class All of Romney’s conservative accomplishments as Governor of MA & What he did to boost the economy in MA?

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM

“He will finish in the top three in Iowa after weakening his chief rival with negative ads. He will win his neighboring state of New Hampshire, and after a drawn-out battle, he’ll emerge as the nominee.

That’s the winning scenario for Mitt Romney, but guess who did it first? Michael Dukakis.

There, I said it. Mitt Romney is the Michael Dukakis of 2012…”

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Because we have you to tell lies about him.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM

does every ‘good’ ad have that hay baler in the sunset? does the farmer get royalties?

Steven McGregor on January 3, 2012 at 7:23 PM

“Too late”? AP, if this primary season has taught us anything it’s that it’s never “too late”.

Perry is going to surprise people tonight. He will finish higher than the “experts” and the polls predict. As for the DMR being so accurate, in 2000 they predicted Forbes would get 20% — he got 30%, a whopping 10% more.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Beautiful ad. Simply beautiful.

He can run this in SC, too, just change “Iowa” to “SC” :)

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Now that Perry is moving up in the polls, here come all the “too late, too bad” articles like this one by Allahpundit. Then there are the high number of people engaging in name calling instead of making a rational argument for or against Perry in the comments section for this article. Wonder how many of them are from the left? Perry stood up to Obama for Texas when Obama was screwing over any Republican governor he could simply because they were Republican. Obama likes it only when you knuckle under and kiss his ring. Perry is no ring kisser. He stood up to Politico’s reporter when the reporter tried his version of the “some say” smear that the left is so fond of using. Perry demanded that the reporter give him a name for who was smearing his campaign. The reporter couldn’t or wouldn’t and all the Politico reporter could do was gasp with surprise and burn with embarrassment that he wasn’t being successful in his smear. I don’t know if Perry will make a good candidate or not. But don’t tell me it is too late to find out. We have time to look at Perry. It is only too late if we decide it is too late. This was a good ad by Perry that expressed a lot of what we hoped for when he arrived on the scene. Don’t let the lefty haters and those rooting for the GOP establishment’s pick push you around. We can look at Perry and we can choose him if we like what we see.

In addition, it has always stuck in my craw that the new media did not report about Perry’s recent back surgery when he first began to campaign. I expected that kind of ignore from the MSM but hoped for something different from the new media. It could have explained a lot about Perry’s fatigue and difficulty thinking. Bias in the new media? Hmmm….

Charm on January 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM

good ad but good ads dont always correlate with good presidents…. obama had some good ads too and how did that work out?

georgealbert on January 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM

If this country and her voters were not so fixated on what I call the “American Idol” thought process they would see Perry for what he is; a true conservative in the Ronald Reagan tradition. But, because of his poor debate performances he was written off. Did anyone ever wonder if his back surgery had any effect on his performance? It’s a shame he wasn’t given a closer look. I adore the guy; not in a creepy Messiah kind of way but because I think he’s sincere and would work his heart out to restore this country to the greatness she deserves and we should demand.

Southern Magnolia on January 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Loved the ad. Did not like having to wade through fish shit in order to read the other comments. Go Perry! :)

dingding on January 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Nice ad – but I couldn’t help thinking the voice initially sounded like W without showing Perry doing the talking.

dentarthurdent on January 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

georgealbert on January 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Very true – but right now it’s all about advertising / marketing. The ads need to sharpen the majority of voters’ “buyer’s remorse” about what we have now so they’re willing to buy something new.

dentarthurdent on January 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Doesn’t it make you wonder how someone can be that miserable?

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Awesome video and message by Gov. Perry!

Hoping/praying/wishing for great success for him tonight!!

Thanks all of you Perry girls for your great comments and links and defense of him!!!

I’ve been away but have had some time to read and enjoy the threads, especially yours:-)

bluefox on January 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I hope all those who were pummeling Perry in September (the Palinistas, especially, who felt he took her “place” in the field) are happy with Romney as the nominee. Michelle Malkin certainly should be.

changer1701 on January 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I like Perry. He’s not going to win, but I still like him.

Urban Infidel on January 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM

When America is on its knees

So we’re on our knees now? Or is Perry just getting more subtle with his homophobia?

Constantine on January 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Nice ad, gave e the chills, but I had to do a double take. I thought that was Anne Coulter at :18.

adoubledot on January 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM

e = me

adoubledot on January 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Southern Magnolia on January 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Rick Perry is NOT Ronald Reagan, nor is he some kind of demigod or an object of worship by the Perry cultists.

He entered the race to pimp his book. Period. Rick Perry is all about Rick Perry.

Frobenius on January 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Perry has no one to blame but himself.

rightConcept on January 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Southern Magnolia on January 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Frobenius on January 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM

_____________________________

I made an observation; MY own observation. I don’t come here to argue. I worship no man nor think he’s some kind of God which you would have realized if your reading comprehension was better honed.

Southern Magnolia on January 3, 2012 at 9:58 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Stop lying. Perry never said he’d put a fence on the border. Jeez, just quit making stuff up.

juliesa on January 3, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Back from my Caucus site (Council Bluffs – 10).

Mitt won with 98 votes out of 256. Not bad for the progressive.

Looking at the vote count, sure enough, the cons split the vote allowing Mitt to win.

My guess is that this is what will happen all over the state and Romney could win with a noticably lower percentage of the vote compared to what Huckabee won with in 2008.

Bachmann got four votes.
Perry got twenty votes.
Perry, Gingrich, and Santorum in the forties

Huntsman got ….. a rock, zero votes.

I almost wrote in Palin but decided to vote for Gingrich because I relished seeing him at the debate vs. Obama like Maximus entering the Coliseum…..”Are you entertained?” as he pulls his debate gladius and rhetorically runs the ‘Hollow man’ through.

South Carolina will be very interesting.

KirknBurker on January 3, 2012 at 10:05 PM

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM

You and jailbreak are by far the two most vile commenters here, and that’s including the Dem trolls.

juliesa on January 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Speaking as a former Democrat, I noticed the Christian imagery several times in the ad, and I think Indies and Dems will get nervous about that imagery.

Not saying it offended me but I know it will others.

PattyJ on January 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Kick the tires and light the fires. Go Rick.

Long haired country boy on January 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM

America is calling, but Iowa just dropped their cell phone in the toilet.

bitsy on January 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Boy, I sure hope his “reassessment” means he will get aggressive in South Carolina and beyond…..I sure hope he keeps fighting!!!

azconservativegirl on January 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Wow. It’s late! Goodnight all!

bitsy on January 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM

“No, he’s not a rocket scientist, but he was a fighter pilot.”

He flew C130 cargo aircraft. Couple this with multiple terms as a successfull governor of a large border state and you have the makings of a two term presidency.

davod on January 4, 2012 at 1:42 AM