Gingrich’s internal poll: Romney 22, Gingrich 17, Santorum 16

posted at 4:20 pm on January 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

I wouldn’t usually blog an internal poll, especially one this dubious, but we’re desperate for tea leaves about tonight and right now this little scrap is the best we can do, alas. How dubious is it? Well, since Thanksgiving, Ron Paul has dipped below 16 percent in Iowa just once, and that one poll was based on a tiny sample of just 277 likely voters. Since then, he’s cracked 20 percent in 11 of the 12 polls taken. Gingrich, meanwhile, has never been higher than 17 percent in the last 11 polls of the state and only twice was he even that high. To believe these internal numbers are true, you have to somehow believe that (a) reports of Santorum’s momentum are overstated, (b) Gingrich’s endless whining about Romney’s attack ads over the past few days is actually helping his numbers, and (c) Paul’s going to fall flat on his face tonight despite intense enthusiasm among his supporters and an excellent local organization. Anyone think all three of those things are true?

Why, this almost seems like a calculated leak by the Gingrich camp to give his own supporters, who might otherwise have given up hope, a reason to turn out tonight. Santorum’s rosy polls lately seem to be driving his surge as more undecideds conclude that backing him wouldn’t be waste of a vote. Newt’s trying to recreate that dynamic himself, I guess. While we wait for entrance polls at the caucus sites or some other tidbit to obsessively overanalyze, here’s a long interview of Romney by Laura Ingraham on today’s show. Skip ahead to 4:30 for his reaction to Gingrich calling him a liar. Exit quotation: “I don’t know why he’s so angry.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Given the choices, being mavericky was the bigger sin.
Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

At that time the joke (actually, truism) was when McCain said he would “reach across the aisle” that he meant reaching out to Republicans.

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Obama said he’d nationalize health care. He did.
Bush said he’d cut taxes. He did.
Clinton said he’s raise taxes. He did.

Romney says he’ll cut spending. But already you’re saying he won’t.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

And for every one of those promises kept, you can find just as many that went down in flames.

George Bush – “No New Taxes”

I believe that every one of the Republican Candidates will do everything they can to make good on their campaign promises.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM

For you to equate that to an endorsement is laughable. When tingles smells a rat, you know it must stink.

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Not getting on the Virginia ballot and his continued whining has destroyed him.

JPeterman on January 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I saw something about a Newt signature getter turning in over 1000 fraudulent names. (No link, I saw it on TV) I would like to know if he was just a lazy bones who did not like walking or another campaign’s plant.

KW64 on January 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

George Bush – “No New Taxes”

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Exactly. RINOs like Bush Sr say a whole bunch of things that gullible conservatives latch on to. You’re not making a very good case for your boy by comparing him to Bush Sr.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I believe almost all of the talkers, including Rush, endorsed Mitt as the conservative alternative to McCain in 2008.

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM

He was the ‘anti McCain’ last cycle.

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on January 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Shocking! Appalling! Heartbreaking! Oh, the humanity!

*collapses in a fit of the vapors*

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Do you realize that “the vapors” refers to flatulence, not fainting?

That seems right for what happens to a distraught Romney supporter, just the same.
:-)

WhatNot on January 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I’m not in the tank for Romney, I have said numerous times that I will vote for the Nominee, so if it ends up being a not Romney, that’s fine. I’ll still vote for the nominee.

Do I think Romney has the best resume to fix the country, yes. However, I think that any one of the current people running for office would be 10,000X better than Obama.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

We’re counting on you Iowa! Don’t reward Romney for the vicious attack ads. Go with Newt!

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Dr Evil on January 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Irrespective of what happens tonight, no candidate will have the nomination locked up until late April. And that candidate would have to win every state until then.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

LOL!

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 5:12 PM

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

If Newt cant take the heat from Ron Paul and a “squish” like Romney, he’s never going to hold up against Obama.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Aww, it’s ok Newt, Chris “Tingles” Matthews agrees that you’ve been treated poorly by the other campaigns.

(newsbusters) “It’s been run by the Romney people, unofficially, but everybody knows who’s running [it], it’s called Restore Our Future …. I can only compare it to the Allied bombing of Dresden in World War II. They’ve left nothing standing in terms of the Gingrich campaign,” Matthews complained.

I guess an endorsement from Tingles is the kind of thing that impresses you hate-Mittbots.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM

No… pretty much a recognition of the obvious. All one has to do is look at the number of ads targeting one specific candidate out of a field of six to draw the conclusion.

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on January 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

And that’s precisely what Romney is counting on. Enough people like you who will vote form him no matter what. Great you’ll have a big government statist with an “R” next to his name instead of a “D”. The debt will still grow by trillions every year, taxes will increase, SS/Medicare will continue to implode.

But as long as it’s an “R” destroying the country, it will feel less painful.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Gingrich finishes fifth, in single digits, just ahead of Bachmann.

Adjoran on January 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM

That’s just it. Obama has even more money than Romney and Mitt doesn’t have the ability to fight back at all. We know what they have against Newt, it’s the attack ads coming at Mitt that we don’t know about yet that worries me.

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Go Newt!

Kaffa on January 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I’m not even a Gingrich guy and even I can see the problem with this stance coming from an apparent Romney supporter. I don’t think one can make the case that Mitt has had to take a lot of ‘heat’ compared to some of his rivals in this primary season.

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on January 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM

But as long as it’s an “R” destroying the country, it will feel less painful.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Whatever, I have no reason to believe that your crystal ball is any better than mine. If you were that good, you’d have the lottery numbers for the next super-jackpots and you would have placed bets on the Superbowl months ago.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on January 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM

No, but I can make the case as to why the GOP candidates didn’t go after him.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Do you realize that “the vapors” refers to flatulence, not fainting?

:-)

WhatNot on January 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

..actually, it is a archaic phrase meaning to become hysterical or to swoon — usually attributed to females. (No direct definition but plenty of cultural references; just Google the phrase.) In any event, if you ever hang around me after I have had a couple of bowls of 5-alarm chile, then you’d probably collapse in a fit of the vapors.

As for the Romney supporter crack, jeez, it’s tough when you have to explain self-deprecating humor to people.

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM

But as long as it’s an “R” destroying the country, it will feel less painful.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM

..NOW you’re catching on, Ed!

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

..only if there’s a vacant urinal adjacent to his.

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 5:23 PM

When did Ingraham turn into a Romney shill? I always thought she was more of the anti-establishment type.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM

You missed the memo, Ed – there is no “establishment.” And if there is, Newt is its living, breathing embodiment. Santorum is as much a member of the “establishment” as Romney is.

InVinoVeritas on January 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Really… too bad team Romney didn’t get that memo…

Snorkdoodle Whizbang on January 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

No, you misread my criticism. I fully expect the candidates themselves to go after one another. They’re all rivals for the nomination, that is, after all, how the “game” is played, and AP notes well how the “not-Romneys” made a huge blunder in Iowa by failing to attack Romney there.

What I am getting at is that some “conservatives” here seem to want a conservative talk show host / commentator / analyst like Ingraham to go nuclear on the guy who very likely will be the Republican nominee.

That’s stupid. That sort of idiocy is better served for fools like Mark Levin, not someone with a degree of respectability like Ingraham.

Vyce on January 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM

We know what they have against Newt…

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

This is not a good thing.

Ronnie on January 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 5:23 PM

That was just a weird response. OOOOOOkay.

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Mitt takes swipes at Obama just about every day. I’m not concerned about Mitt pulling a McCain and not winning due to failure to try.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM

That’s the problem with Mitt Romney. He has some tax reductions but, no significant spending reductions.

His campaign slogan should be, “If you like budget deficits, then you’ll love Mitt Romney.”

gyrmnix on January 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM

But as long as it’s an “R” destroying the country, it will feel less painful.

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Spot on … and the funny thing is … I AM AN INDEPENDENT. You know – how many times have we heard that Romney is the only guy who can win independents? LOL – he doesn’t have me because I’m a conservative (independent).

Guess Mittens can only say that he can win the LIBERAL independents over and – what does that really say about Mitt?

LOL!

Oh no – GOP you give me Romney and I will pull that lever for Obama like a penny slot machine at the Casino!

HondaV65 on January 3, 2012 at 5:30 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Mitt will run to the left of Obama like he did Ted Kennedy and still lose.

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

“This is very simple. If you do not want America to be the strongest nation on Earth, I am not your president. You have that president today.”

You’re worried about Mitt attacking Barry?

Ronnie on January 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Newt has best economic plan. Period.

The rest is BS and posturing.

There is but One Choice

mankai on January 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I agree with you and Thomas Sowell, J.C. Watts, Art Laffer, Steve Deace, etc.

Go Newt!

IndeCon on January 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Paul’s overly-vocal and young supporters, who tend to boo anyone who disagrees with them, turning off older voters who are on the fence in a caucus environment. Paul will under-perform his poll numbers; if I had to put a number on it, I’d say he gets 18%.

Lawdawg86 on January 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Ronnie on January 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Honestly, did he steal that from Johnny Mac? Try this zinger from Newt on for size.

Speaking in Iowa, Newt Gingrich says the “core argument” conservatives have with President Barack Obama is that he is “legitimately and authentically a Saul Alinsky Radical.”

Top that!

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM

..also, folkshere on HG vapor lock when Mitt’s pac folks dive bomb/otherwise savage Newt but accuse him of potentially being soft on The Turdmeister in the general election.

I don’t get it. Help me here.

/s

The War Planner on January 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM

At the event, Romney also praised Obama’s education secretary for the Race to the Top program that rewards state education systems for reaching specific goals. “I think Secretary Duncan has done some good things,” he said. “I hope that’s not heresy in this room.”

WHAT A FIGHTER!!!

angryed on January 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I think what’s going to kill him (pun not intended) is his long-running opposition to the Zionist lobby and the war industry.

It’s hard to overestimate the power of those lobbies or their advocates. Most of the latter work long hours without a single dime in pay; that takes serious dedication. His base of mostly young supporters are going to run up against long-entrenched interests they don’t really know how to defeat.

MelonCollie on January 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Yet ANOTHER AP attack on Newt. Is this what HA has become? Why not just have every single post have something anti-Newt? Oh wait. It’s already happened.

davenp35 on January 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

davenp35 on January 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Newt is electric and attracts hits. AP is all about the traffic. It’s going to be interesting to see if Hotair readers were duped by the Romney attack ads. Have you taken the poll?

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM