Did Santorum really say he didn’t want to make “black people’s lives better”?

posted at 8:40 am on January 3, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

This created an eruption on Twitter and in some of our comment threads yesterday evening, thanks to a CBS News transcript that put words into Rick Santorum’s mouth — or one word in particular.  Santorum spoke to a crowd in Iowa yesterday about the fiscal sinkhole of Medicaid, and argued that government shouldn’t redistribute wealth to improve the lives of some at the expense of others.  Santorum stumbled momentarily on the word “lives,” though, and that provided this Rorschach moment for CBS, who reported it thusly on their YouTube channel:

While campaigning in Sioux City, Iowa Sunday, GOP presidential hopeful Rick Santorum said if elected he plans to cut regulations and entitlements and he doesn’t want to “make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.”

Except that’s not what Santorum said at all. What he said was, “I don’t want to make [pause] lives, people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.” This makes sense in the context of what immediately preceded this statement: “It [Medicaid] just keeps expanding. I was Indianola a few months ago, and I was talking with someone who works at the Department of Public Welfare here, and she told me that the state of Iowa is going to get fined if they don’t sign up more people under the Medicaid program. They’re just pushing harder and harder to get more and more of you dependent upon them so that they can get your vote.”

In other words, Santorum’s point didn’t have anything to do at all about race; it had to do with creating a dependency class that includes a lot of Iowans for political purposes. Whether one agrees with this or not, it’s pretty standard fare, and it’s certainly a legitimate concern to raise at a time when ObamaCare will expand the number of people eligible for government subsidies to families who make 60% more than the average household income. Instead of listening carefully to what Santorum actually said, CBS just assumed that Santorum was a racist. Don’t they watch the videos before transcribing them at CBS News?

One person who did listen to what Santorum said was my friend Tommy Christopher, who I assume doesn’t agree with Santorum’s point or much else Santorum has to say. Tommy, however, is both honest and thorough, and says that CBS gave Santorum a bum rap:

A review of a clearer version of the video, however, casts serious doubt on whether Santorum actually said “black people’s lives.”

CBS News has posted a cleaner version of Santorum’s remarks, and it seems as though Santorum did not actually say “black people’s lives,” but rather, that he stumbled in mid-sentence with a verbal tic that sounded like that.

“I don’t want to make…mmbligh…people’s lives better” is what it sounds like to me, although CBS News also transcribes it as “”make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.”

Given the preceding context, in which he talks about the government trying to get more Iowans enrolled in Medicaid, the former explanation makes much more sense than the latter.

The Santorum campaign has still not returned our request for comment.

Here’s the CBS clip. The viewer can judge, but even as an LGBT-friendly liberal, I’m inclined to give Santorum the benefit of the doubt here[.]

“Lives” sounds pretty clear to me, but either way, Santorum wasn’t talking about “black people.” He was talking about all Americans, as the context of his remarks makes obvious. Shame on CBS for this unsubstantiated allegation, and for still not correcting their record.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Ironically, Indianola has less than 100 blacks in the entire town, assuming census numbers are to be believed. Hard to imagine Santorum making an overtly racist point on that picard…

Media is hitting Santorum hard, if this is all they have on him though I wouldn’t expect him to fade like Gingrich and he has better command of himself than Perry, who tends to go deer in the headlights at times.

gdossetto on January 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM

thphilli on January 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM

This is why I take nothing you say seriously. I thought you said Ed was in the tank for Romney.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I watched the vid, and he says “blacks”. Ed, you’re in the tank for Santorum, you said so yourself.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM
It’s not obvious he said blacks. I don’t know. It sounds more like a mid-sentence stumble like both Ed and Christopher asserted.

The bigger point is the context in which it was said.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Just goes to show…people hear what they want to hear!

KOOLAID2 on January 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Well, it does sound similar, but I think the people who adamantly hear ‘black’ want to hear it. There is no ck at the end and it is definitely more of a long I than short a sound. Also, that would have brought some eyebrows up, even if the people in the audience agreed with it, and no one reacts. Even the black guy holding the mic right behind him has no reaction. Now, maybe the guy can’t hear with the earphones on? But he seems to be trying to move it around to pick up sound better, so I’d say he’s hearing what the mic picks up. But regardless, someone would have reacted. Someone would have looked at the person next to them and given the old raised eyebrow that says ‘Did he just say what I think he said?” I know I would have. And there is nothing.

And to Aslans Girl…you do know that he has been campaigning nonstop for weeks, right? But you really expect him to remember every question he’s answered and every quote? Come on…

pannw on January 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Shame on CBS for this unsubstantiated allegation

It’s an election year, so I guess we better start getting used to it.
Mr. Prodigy on January 3, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I doubt there’s a Republican candidate who the media will not try to tar as being RAAAAA-cist.

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

The are more white recipients of welfare in America than blacks.
Biggest food stamps recipients in Iowa are all whites.
He is a racist and should be called out as such

liberal4life on January 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

While I agree with the fact that the biggest food stamps recipients in Iowa are white…that would be a given with the stats

White persons, 2010 IA 91.3% US 72.4%

Black persons, 2010 IA 2.9% US 12.6%

Persons below poverty level
2009 IA 11.8% US 14.3%

I don’t know if I’d call Santorum’s comment racist as much as stupid

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Dextrous on January 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Lewis was not an “apologist for Catholicism”, he was an apologist for “mere Christianity”. Tolkien who as Lewis called him, “a papist”, was Lewis’ very good friend, but Lewis was not Catholic.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Great! Now I feel like one of those silly people who have to say what everybody else has said before just ’cause they know the answer too!! And there were fewer comments when I started typing! I didn’t know I was THAT slow!! *embarrassed*

MISFern on January 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I really can’t tell what he said. I guess they’re trying to spin this into a Jeb Bush “Probably nothing.”

joekenha on January 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM

He said black, Ed, and it makes sense in context, as Aslan’s Girl explains in her comments.

I question your bias in this. You simply can’t admit to him doing this — but do this he did. The disgusting thing is you accused CBS News (I’m no fan) of not listening to the tape and reporting accurately on it, when this is your flaw.

Random on January 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Lewis was not Catholic.
Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I suspect ol’ CS would beg to differ with you as Anglicans certainly consider themselves Catholic. (Just not Roman Catholic.)

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Aslan’s Girl, I clicked on your name and was taken to a Youtube video supporting Perry.

To me the name ‘Aslan’s Girl’ has always suggested the character in the C.S. Lewis novels, and he was famous as an apologist for Catholicism. Which in turn suggests that you would be more likely to share Santorum’s world view. Apparently that is not the case.

Dextrous on January 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM

nuh uh… Lewis wasn’t a Catholic Apologist. In fact, Tolkien was deeply disappointed that he didn’t become a Catholic!!

MISFern on January 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Oh I give up!!!

MISFern on January 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM

pannw on January 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I only expected him to know the “context” because he says to Pelley that he was aware of the quote… seems like he’d been made aware of the kerfuffle before he spoke with Pelley.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I agree, Aslan’s Girl. While he made facile easily refuted arguments based on stupid assumptions, C.S. Lewis was not Catholic. He was a good children’s fiction author.

Random on January 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

You’re awfully protective of him- and yeah, I gave it a fair listen and I said it sounded like he started to say, “black”, caught himself, and it came out something like, “bligh”.

BettyRuth on January 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I said I wasn’t sure what he said above. I didn’t inject any of his other policy views into it. I support a fair hearing for all of our candidates.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Listen carefully. He didn’t say “black” people. He said “black people, Hispanics, and Muslims”.

The Rogue Tomato on January 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

MISFern on January 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Don’t worry, whatever silly thing you said is buried on the previous page, where none but the most compulsive will think to look.

RINO in Name Only on January 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Nope. As MISFern on January 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM says, Tolkien knew Lewis was not “Catholic”.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I can see it as being debatable as to him saying “pligh people’s lives” or “bligh people’s lives.” Where do you get any sort of “ack” sound from in the word “black” based on what he said?

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I hear “black” but let’s say he said “bligh”. What the heck is a “bligh person”? Why was there even a “bl” in the sentence? He won’t be able to explain this away. You and Ed are being charitable and I wish I could be too. I am certainly sick of the term “racist” being thrown at Republicans all the time. Stuff like this makes it easy, and most people are gonna hear “black”. Sorry.

Lightspeed on January 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Yes…I am a speach pathologist..and a fan of Rick Santorum.

coach1228 on January 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Then spellit properly.

katy the mean old lady on January 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM

@ hawkdriver:
Do you know this guy?

ExpressoBold on January 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Even if (big IF) Santorum said “black”, does this make his statement racist in a hateful sense? Um, no.

Political enemies (who in promoting evil self-position themselves as such) are quick to accuse racism instead of allowing for situations which are merely racial.

Santorum is one who would have all be judged based on the content of their character. There is nothing in his background to suggest otherwise. Accusing him of racism presents as a form of self parody, identifying commenters who do not take themselves seriously.

exdeadhead on January 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Wait, what would be racist about it even if he had said “black”?

Count to 10 on January 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

A fair question.

Have the thought/speech police been so effective at their indoctrination that we automatically assume that the only Caucasians who would, in public, refer to African-Americans as “black people” or mention the uncomfortable fact that they are disproportionately dependent on gov’t. handouts (thanks to LBJ) are racists?

I can understand stumping for your preferred candidate over others. I can understand arguing against policies/principles you don’t like. I can even understand the “electability” argument (wrongly-used, as I think it is).

What I can’t understand is how readily conservatives and right-leaning folks here use the same tactics and smears of the progressive left on their own people. The intended outcome of the politics of personal destruction is only destruction.

Everybody needs to keep in mind what the end goal really is and not just get caught up in cheerleading the political horserace.

Harpazo on January 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Just goes to show…people hear what they want to hear!

KOOLAID2 on January 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I’m just not sure. What d you think he said?

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM

He said “black”. Shocking that a top tier contender in a sweater vest who lost his senate seat by an 18% margin would say such a thing, huh!

KeninCT on January 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Santorum has also repeated this on the stump…

“We’re not looking for a chief executive officer. We’re looking for a commander in chief.” – Santorum on the stump in Iowa

Santorum has been neither a Chief Executive in the private sector or as an elected Chef Executive of a state Governor, and he’s never served in the military.

Gov. Perry is the only candidate who has been both a Governor & served in the Military.

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM

RINO in Name Only on January 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Oh I give up!!!

MISFern on January 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Ok, let’s think big picture – tomorrow or the next day, this thread will probably be languishing in the vault. Also, you are clearly not the only one who types too slow:)

RINO in Name Only on January 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Random on January 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

:rollseyes: He was a good adult fiction writer, too. His Space Trilogy and Screwtape Letters are definitely not for children.

And, his apolgist books are superb.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM

@ hawkdriver:
Do you know this guy?

ExpressoBold on January 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM

No, but he beat me by six years. What an awesome career. Thanks for sharing that.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM

The Rogue Tomato on January 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Listen again. He clearly meant to say “black”, but flubbed the line and it came out as “white power”.

Harpazo on January 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM

What’s really the problem here?

It’s not as if Santorum were risking his chance at garnering the Black vote. A lot of people, racists and not, would wholeheartedly agree with the more controversial interpretation of his remarks. It’s largely true that black americans generally benefit disproportionately from redistributive government programs. That’s a primary reason why the vote overwhelmingly Democrat!!

Ozmondias on January 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM

And that ^ sums up our primary process. The media has no trouble decimating our candidates, and we shouldn’t help them. Vet the candidates-yes. Destroy-no…

melle1228 on January 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

That’s Roman Catholic, as I noted. He was an Anglo-Catholic. Also, all Christians are – by definition – members of the small-c “catholic church”.

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Lightspeed on January 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I think he’ll easily be able to explain it away as a combination of the first letter from “people’s” and the first sound from “lives.” It’s a mispronunciation, one that he caught, and then he continued on like normal.

You could also claim that he wanted to combine “blacks’” and “lives” but I think that’s a stretch given what he said immediately afterwards “people’s lives.”

There’s no way there was an “ack” there. That’s simply lying.

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM

RACIST! Well its begun King Putt comes back and out comes the race card
I wish ppl would take this for what it is B.S.

angrymike on January 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM

If this and the dead baby thing are the best the MSM have against RS, he’s golden.

Norky on January 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I like Rick Perry. But I have concerns with his debate performance. He would be better than BHO as president, but he’d have to face him on a stage.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

The problem is focusing only on this one sentence and the word he stumbled over. His next sentence was that he wants to give the people the opportunity to earn their own money, to provide for themselves and their family. So whether the people he referred to were black, white, purple or polka dotted, he was explaining that he wanted to give those people the opportunity to earn their own money instead of taking welfare or money from someone else. His remark was not racist,IMHO.

GrannySunni on January 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Lewis’s apologist books were awful, but appeal to those who would like to be appealed to, or who don’t have the intellectual brainpower to tear them apart. They are generally regarded as among the best Christian apologetics, but it’s defending the evil and absurd, so what can one expect?

Random on January 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM

This is a good example of promoting your candidate’s strengths in contrast to another’s weaknesses without resorting to smears.

Cheers to workingclass artist.

Harpazo on January 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM

It’s not a “p” sound he makes, it’s a “b”, and I definitely hear a short “a” not a long “i”.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

The Rogue Tomato on January 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Harpazo on January 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM

You guys are reading way too much into what he said. Everyone heard him say “KKK, all the way!”.
Don’t try to deny it!!!

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Sounds like he might have said part of “black” — but the context says he didn’t. He keeps referring to “you” as the subject, which, from the audience we can see, doesn’t seem to include very many blacks. He seems to flub the end of his statement as well, but not as bad — raa,raa,rolling.

unclesmrgol on January 3, 2012 at 9:53 AM

RINO in Name Only on January 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM

When you put it that way….. Anyway, thank you!! :) I am new here, and I clearly need to work on my speed.

MISFern on January 3, 2012 at 9:54 AM

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Jimmy Carter served in the military.

unclesmrgol on January 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM

It proves again the racism on the left. Anytime something like this is said; they always assume we’re talking about black people. It goes to prove it is the left that thinks blacks don’t contribute to society and they leach off of others. Out of their so called compassion they have systematically destroyed the black culture by welfare and handouts.

The culture is so brainwashed now they keep voting in their own demise.

xler8bmw on January 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I listened to it three more times just to make sure. I could see why someone would hear the “b” as I said above, but there’s no “a.” It’s definitely “i.”

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM

If you’re FOR Santorum, it’s an “articulation stumble.”

If you’re neutral about Santorum, it could be either.

If you’re against Santorum: He said ‘black’, alright.

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Random on January 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Shorter Random: “I hate Christians because of what they believe.”

Harpazo on January 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Don’t try to deny it!!!

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

57% of Ron Paul newsletter subscribers are now reconsidering Santorum.

Harpazo on January 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I would like to buy a vowel.

RINO in Name Only on January 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I like your comments.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM

A belated thank you for answering the point; it cleared up a misconception.

Dextrous on January 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

CBS is a racist network. They hate white people.

jaime on January 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I never said I hate Christians, Harpazo. I’m merely implying Christianity is a false and evil cult. For example, read Numbers 31 (among innumerable awful examples) and tell me why I should worship this made up deity of primitive bronze age child mutilating barbarians?

Random on January 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Dextrous on January 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Lewis was an Anglican…and mildly anti-papist (catholic) probably due to upper middle class upbringing in Belfast Ireland. He identified as a Protestant Irishman with the cultural prejudices towards the Catholic Natives built in although in Lewis these were fairly mild when compared to most old-fashioned Ulster Protestant types. The political slant in Mere Christianity is subtle but evident.

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Random on January 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Uh oh. Thread red alert. Thread red alert.

Dextrous on January 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM

unclesmrgol on January 3, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Unfortunately for your argument, he says “them” after saying “…people’s lives.” Why switch from “you” to “them”? The optics of this are really bad. We may be looking at an unfortuante flub, but, boy, it’s a doozy!

Lightspeed on January 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM

but even as an LGBT-friendly liberal

Geez. People who make political decisions based on where they want to stick their genitals can’t objectively look at anything without filtering it through the prism of where they want to stick their genitals.

Sad.

mankai on January 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I think he said black, but what he said was entirely true and very conservative. He also included his audience which seemed quite white to me! He wants people to work for it instead of relying on handouts. There are people who refuse promotion because the raise will cause them to lose their benefits. They are comfortable in their poverty, just vote Democrat!

Africanus on January 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM

MISFern on January 3, 2012 at 9:54 AM

No problem, and welcome to Hot Gas.

RINO in Name Only on January 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Compare what Rick said in the clip with a clip of him saying “Black” when he meant to say “Black”.

crco on January 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM

workingclass artist on January 3,
2012 at 9:48 AM

Jimmy Carter served in the military.

unclesmrgol on January 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Just the ones I can think of off-hand:
George Washington
Andrew Jackson
(Hiram) Ulysses Grant
Theodore Roosevelt
“IKE”
JFK
Richard Nixon
Jimmy Carter
George H W Bush
(I’m not sure where to qualify “W”, on this)
Barack Obama (HE GOT BIN LADEN, DIDN’T HE?!!)

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM

So to sum up:

Santorum hates blacks and gays.
Ron Paul hates blacks and Jews.
Perry hates blacks but loves Mexicans.
Romney hates the poor and Mexicans unless they are doing his lawn.
And Bachman hates gays and Muslims.

Did I miss anything?

Spliff Menendez on January 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Uh oh. Thread red alert. Thread red alert.

Dextrous on January 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM

As long as we’re going to hijack the thread and start an off-topic flame war, can we at least make it about something more fun, like how all of you losers are in complete denial over Sarah Palin’s obviously fake pregnancy?

RINO in Name Only on January 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Def did NOT say BLACK….but…However,
He WAS going to go there and started with BLA and ended IVES. …
coach1228 on January 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

“But it didn’t fall, you caught it. The fact that you prevented it from happening doesn’t change the fact it was going to happen.” — John Anderton, Minority Report LSM, 2012

politibear on January 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I’m a transcriptionist and listen for a living 40 hours a week. It was a word stumble, no more. Had I been typing this, it would have been, “I don’t want to make people’s lives better by…” The CBS transcript is a “mistake” of a critical nature that would get me a written warning from my bosses. Plus there is the bonus which I don’t get in my job is VIDEO. Good Lord, didn’t they even read his lips?

redmama on January 3, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Random on January 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Not gonna get into a discussion of Numbers 31 and its context… but the greater question is truth, not how you feel about it.

As I’ve always argued, if Allah is the only god and if Muhammad really is his prophet, then we’d all be fools not to submit to Islam. I don’t reject Islam or the Koran merely because I don’t like its tenets, I reject it because I see no objective reason to believe it.

You can reject Christianity all you want, but referring to an instance regarding the children of Israel is not sufficient to conclude that something isn’t necessarily true. Truth is independent of one’s opinion of it.

mankai on January 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM

You’re even more dishonest that Perry putting out those hypocritical earmark ads against Santorum even though Gov. Gardasil has taken just as many if not more earmarks himself.

LevinFan on January 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

When does the banhammer come out? BTW, as a non-Santorum supporter, (evidently one has to always qualify), I think that most of you will hear the word “black,” whether he said it, or not. Once you anticipate what you expect to hear, that’s what you hear. I listened to this on really good speakers with $500.00 headphones, and I still couldn’t swear what he said.

di butler on January 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

it sounded like “blacks” to me. but you can’t get on to him for telling the truth.

fwm299 on January 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

No, you are wrong. The positioning of his tongue against his lips is a /l sound immediately followed by /p to which he then corrected his formation to be “…people’s lives.” Plus he never made the consonant sounds in the word black. I’ve watched this multiple times, and he is not a speaker who drops his ending consonants. It was a mere word stumble of “people’s lives.”

redmama on January 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Are you kidding me? This is a sit-com scenario, right?

Finbar on January 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

That is not a pause. What it is starts with “bl”. He either says black or blagh. It most definitely is not a pause.

ButterflyDragon on January 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I think the real story here is how Ed could defend Rick’s comments here.

Rick clearly said “black people’s lives.” Why? I don’t know, but it’s a huge mistake on the eve of the Iowa caucus.

newtopia on January 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

mankai on January 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM

That’s a hard lesson to learn.

Here’s another one: If God is really God, then he has the right to do whatever he pleases with his creation. It is beyond our understanding, and our opinions of what he does counts for nothing (again, it’s not how one feels about it that matters).

The Rogue Tomato on January 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

So what if Santorum DID say “black people’s lives”?!

I’m sick to death of this PC bullshit.

The point is, black people ARE THE DEPENDENCY CLASS IN THIS COUNTRY. And, they constantly DARE anyone to say it; because then, of course, they can accuse them of RACISM.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

mountainaires on January 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Santorum has also repeated this on the stump…

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Santorum spent 8 years on the Senate Armed Service Committee. That makes him privy to alot more foreign policy info that Perry as Gov of Texas.

The most important function of the President is national defense and this is one of Santorum’s strongest points. Also, Santorum is correct that we simply can’t reduce the foreign aid to Pakistan to zero like Perry wants to do. Pakistan has nukes and we can’t have the it destabilize and have those nukes fall into the wrong hands.

LevinFan on January 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM

It must be “black” because his articulation is perfect otherwise. For example:

“I was Indianola a few months ago…”

Clearly, he was in Dianola, which is in one of the 57 states. But I’m sure CBS thought he said, “I was Indian, ooh la la, a few months ago…”

The Rogue Tomato on January 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I would never vote for Santorum but I do not hear the word “black” from him here. Smear tactic.

independentvoice on January 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM

The Rogue Tomato on January 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Are you kidding me? This is a sit-com scenario, right?

Finbar on January 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Mr Furley heard Santorum say “black”! He also overheard him in the kitchen with Janet talking about “kissing the can down the road”!

mankai on January 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM

My point is that military service as a qualification for public office is a false prism. In fact, having been governor of a state is a false prism too.

Jimmy Carter served in the military and was Governor of the State of Georgia.

unclesmrgol on January 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

So what if Santorum DID say “black people’s lives”?!

I’m sick to death of this PC bullshit.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

mountainaires on January 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Well said.

And right before he allegedly says “black” Santorum said to the entire room that the gov’t wants to make YOU dependent on them.

Context matters and he’s talking about the gov’t making more and more people dependent.

Can’t tell there to the dishonest Perry shills though. Their guy tried to buy the state but is losing to Santorum. And all of them give Gov. Gardasil a complete pass for in state tuition for illegals, his extensive crony capitalism,and the Gardasil mandate itself.

And spending has quadrupled under Gov. Gardasil.

LevinFan on January 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I can’t get the player to play so I’ll say he said black.

Vince on January 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

listens2glennon January 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I like your comments.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Uh oh, my ego’s getting over-inflated.
TAKE COVER, IT’S GOING TO BLOW!

: )

listens2glenn on January 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

newtopia on January 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

nope. See above. I’m still not decided on any of the primary candidates, but I will staunchly defend anyone from being attributed to saying things which he did not say.

redmama on January 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM

The Rogue Tomato on January 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM

His articulation is not perfect otherwise. Listen to the final seconds of the audio — the “raa — raa — rolling” part

unclesmrgol on January 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Vince on January 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I’m sure he’s said it at least once in his life.

unclesmrgol on January 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Sorry, missed placing the link earlier…compare how Rick says “Black” with what he said in the video from Iowa:

crco on January 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Either way this is going to kill Santorum’s support among black Republicans in Iowa.

mankai on January 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Look, why any discussion? CBS is just trying to help Obama hold onto his 95% of the Black vote. This is obviously the “By Any Means” strategy in action. This is a moderately clever way of accomplishing this goal. Note that Democrat trolls have popped up here to reinforce this. (And wait till you see what they do to Mitt.)

Scriptor on January 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I think the real story here is how Ed could defend Rick’s comments here.
newtopia on January 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

This.

I think Ed Morrisey take a real close look at his reporting here.

Random on January 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

When does the banhammer come out?

di butler on January 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Well, since you asked…

So what if Santorum DID say “black people’s lives”?!

I’m sick to death of this PC bullshit.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

mountainaires on January 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM

No, I think if you don’t, you’ll probably be ok.

RINO in Name Only on January 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

57% of Ron Paul newsletter subscribers are now reconsidering Santorum.

Harpazo on January 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I doubt it — he wasn’t articulate enough.

unclesmrgol on January 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

*Morrissey

Random on January 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

In the sentence prior to the word controversy he says

“They’re just pushing harder and harder to get more and more of you(gestures at the crowd which is all white by the way) dependent upon them(gestures away from the crowd) so they can get your vote.

I don’t see the big deal whether he said black or not in the next sentence because as is clear from the above quote he doesn’t want to make the lives of his all white audience “better” by putting them on welfare either.

Wigglesworth on January 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

unclesmrgol on January 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I guess I should have used the /sarc tag. ;)

The Rogue Tomato on January 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I’m sure he’s said it at least once in his life.

unclesmrgol on January 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Yep, and I’m sure some of his best friends are black. He may even know Jack Black. I wonder if CBS considers this his blackest hour.

Vince on January 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

This.

I think Ed Morrisey take a real close look at his reporting here.

Random on January 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I never thought Ed was a reporter. I assumed he was a blogger giving his opinions.

ButterflyDragon on January 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Sounded like he said black or blight.

nazo311 on January 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM