Did Santorum really say he didn’t want to make “black people’s lives better”?

posted at 8:40 am on January 3, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

This created an eruption on Twitter and in some of our comment threads yesterday evening, thanks to a CBS News transcript that put words into Rick Santorum’s mouth — or one word in particular.  Santorum spoke to a crowd in Iowa yesterday about the fiscal sinkhole of Medicaid, and argued that government shouldn’t redistribute wealth to improve the lives of some at the expense of others.  Santorum stumbled momentarily on the word “lives,” though, and that provided this Rorschach moment for CBS, who reported it thusly on their YouTube channel:

While campaigning in Sioux City, Iowa Sunday, GOP presidential hopeful Rick Santorum said if elected he plans to cut regulations and entitlements and he doesn’t want to “make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.”

Except that’s not what Santorum said at all. What he said was, “I don’t want to make [pause] lives, people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.” This makes sense in the context of what immediately preceded this statement: “It [Medicaid] just keeps expanding. I was Indianola a few months ago, and I was talking with someone who works at the Department of Public Welfare here, and she told me that the state of Iowa is going to get fined if they don’t sign up more people under the Medicaid program. They’re just pushing harder and harder to get more and more of you dependent upon them so that they can get your vote.”

In other words, Santorum’s point didn’t have anything to do at all about race; it had to do with creating a dependency class that includes a lot of Iowans for political purposes. Whether one agrees with this or not, it’s pretty standard fare, and it’s certainly a legitimate concern to raise at a time when ObamaCare will expand the number of people eligible for government subsidies to families who make 60% more than the average household income. Instead of listening carefully to what Santorum actually said, CBS just assumed that Santorum was a racist. Don’t they watch the videos before transcribing them at CBS News?

One person who did listen to what Santorum said was my friend Tommy Christopher, who I assume doesn’t agree with Santorum’s point or much else Santorum has to say. Tommy, however, is both honest and thorough, and says that CBS gave Santorum a bum rap:

A review of a clearer version of the video, however, casts serious doubt on whether Santorum actually said “black people’s lives.”

CBS News has posted a cleaner version of Santorum’s remarks, and it seems as though Santorum did not actually say “black people’s lives,” but rather, that he stumbled in mid-sentence with a verbal tic that sounded like that.

“I don’t want to make…mmbligh…people’s lives better” is what it sounds like to me, although CBS News also transcribes it as “”make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.”

Given the preceding context, in which he talks about the government trying to get more Iowans enrolled in Medicaid, the former explanation makes much more sense than the latter.

The Santorum campaign has still not returned our request for comment.

Here’s the CBS clip. The viewer can judge, but even as an LGBT-friendly liberal, I’m inclined to give Santorum the benefit of the doubt here[.]

“Lives” sounds pretty clear to me, but either way, Santorum wasn’t talking about “black people.” He was talking about all Americans, as the context of his remarks makes obvious. Shame on CBS for this unsubstantiated allegation, and for still not correcting their record.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

I watched the vid, and he says “blacks”. Ed, you’re in the tank for Santorum, you said so yourself.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM

get used to your bum rap, Rick. First they ignore you, then they mock you, then they misquote you, then they’ll kneel before you…..ok maybe not, but anyway/

ted c on January 3, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Yep. You’re right Aslans Girl. That’s what he said. “I don’t want to make black peoples lives better….”

Long haired country boy on January 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM

It sounds like he says “black” to me.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Complete non-story driven by the Lib media and Paul supporters to try and draw some false equivalency with the newsletters.

Roymunson on January 3, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Aslan’s Girl, you’re wrong and you’re being dishonest. Listen to it closely. At first listen, I could hear how it sounds like black. But then I looped it and really listened. He says “Lives..people’s lives..” He modified what he was saying. It sounded awkward, and if your’re too lazy to listen closely, then I guess you can just agree he said “black”.. but he didn’t.

tyketto on January 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM

He’d lose 50 states.

Marcus on January 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM

He says “Bligh”. It’s a verbal tick.

He didn’t say black.

Scoreboard44 on January 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

He said “black”. Shocking that a top tier contender in a sweater vest who lost his senate seat by an 18% margin would say such a thing, huh!

KeninCT on January 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM

It’s not obvious he said blacks. I don’t know. It sounds more like a mid-sentence stumble like both Ed and Christopher asserted.

The bigger point is the context in which it was said.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Ed apparently supports someone who has not exactly been honest about his past association with LGBT and abortion (the second trimester partial birth type)

Kermit on January 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Those sweater vests remind me of Chandler Bing.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM

KeninCT on January 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

What a hypocrite even if it were true. You call poor people Rubes.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I agree I watched the video and didn’t hear ‘black’ at all. But he’s still a sanctimonious ( ). Romney or Perry. Choose wisely.

Marcus on January 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Just ran through it twice, and its pretty unmistakeable–he said “black”. No verbal tick that I could see–just a slight pause before, which, if anything tells me he knew what he was just about to say.

I agree with the overall sentiment of the statement, that taxpayer dollars should not be forcibly used to improve other peoples lives, but its unfortunate he threw race into it, since it applies to all grifters on welfare, regardless of race.

AttilaTheHun on January 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Santorum clearly said, “blacks” if you can’t tell that I suggest you get a hearing aid.

Racist Rick Santorum

Santorum addresses answer of black’s entitlement reform

bzip on January 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

And the lsm will run the cbs version ad nausem irregardless

cmsinaz on January 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

tyketto on January 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Well by God, I wasn’t too lazy to listen. I heard what he said. WTF is YOUR problem. (Got your back, Aslans Girl on this one).

Long haired country boy on January 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

CBS has an agenda, as do all of the legacy media, to get Obama reelected. To that end they will refuse to allow facts to get in the way of their storyline.

TKindred on January 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Transcript should read “[blank} people’s lives”.

DrStock on January 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Well then, it’s settled. Santorum is a filthy racist, who has no place in the Republican party or even anywhere in American politics. He must be hounded out of the public arena in disgrace. And while you’re at it, don’t forget to call him an anti-Semite too.

(To me, it sounded like he was saying the word “lives,” in advance of its place in his sentence.)

Dextrous on January 3, 2012 at 8:55 AM

The bigger point is the context in which it was said.
hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Yup, he was addressing the government getting “more and more of you” signed up and the group just doesn’t look like an NAACP meetup to me.

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 8:55 AM

It sounds a bit like “Black” but if anyone would know best, it’s the crowd he is speaking to.

Do you honestly believe that a candidate for President of the USA can stand in front of a crowd of people and say “I don’t want to make black people’s lives better….” and not get at least some reaction from the crowd instead of nods of agreement?? I find that hard to believe.

Mord on January 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM

It sounded like he said “pligh” as in a combination of “people’s” and “lives”

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Wait, Iowa is going to get fined if they don’t sign up more people for Medicaid? That’s the real issue.

rbj on January 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Fearless, Consistent, CONSERVATIVE.

Imperfect though he might be Santorum is WORLDS AHEAD OF OBAMA.

Santorum 2012.

PappyD61 on January 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Whether Santorum said blacks or not, Ron Paul still forgets to wear his pants every day.

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM

So Santorum probably lost the perennially offended black ACORN/SEIU vote he never had. BFD.

Fletch54 on January 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Sounded like he was all ready to say “blacks” and then realized he better cut it and then came up with, “blighs”. He’s an idiot. A smug, sanctimonious, know it all, gay hating idiot.

BettyRuth on January 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

He did not say “black.” He just didn’t. He was clearly losing his train of thought beforehand, as you can hear in his first stumble, and he hadn’t recovered by the time he got to that point in the sentence. He started to say “people’s lives,” but then realized he already said “people’s,” then he started to skip ahead and it came out weird. He corrected himself right away, but not before the flotsam came out. He simply did not say “black”—the vowel is clearly a long I and not an A, and the hard K sound is nowhere to be heard.

Seriously, even if you don’t want to see Santorum be the nominee and/or president, please be fair and keep your ears open.

WesternActor on January 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 8:55 AM

While it does sound like he said “black”, I did notice also that he prefaced that remark with “more and more of you” to a crowd of white people. So I seriously doubt even if he did say “black” that that was what he meant. This is a non-story. Which of course means the drive-bys will harp on it endlessly.

Doughboy on January 3, 2012 at 8:59 AM

No one has an agenda. Santorum clearly identifies blacks as the main recipients of free crap from Obama. And in the sense of percentage of the population he might be right. But on pure numbers, I suspect white Americans are a larger drain on the system.

This is a non issue because the larger point is that we need to expand the base of Americans who work and pay taxes. A concept that our current president has no use for.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Wait, what would be racist about it even if he had said “black”?

Count to 10 on January 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Santorum addresses answer of black’s entitlement reform

bzip on January 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

That’s an interesting answer he gives to Pelley. He does not deny that he may have mentioned blacks because of some movie he saw recently. But he doesn’t seem to remember the question? He just said this yesterday, how could he have not remembered the context? Odd.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Are you kidding me? The nutjobs continue to multiply like
cockroaches.

Amjean on January 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

tyketto on January 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM

AG is just looking for anything that might help to pull Perry’s fat out of the fire. But considering his N-rock episode this is something I really wouldn’t try to advance, in her spot.

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Fearless, Consistent, CONSERVATIVE.

Imperfect though he might be Santorum is WORLDS AHEAD OF OBAMA.

Santorum 2012.

PappyD61 on January 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Agree with you PappyD. Santorum is being dissed by people here who want other candidates to win so they are doing as much as possible to marginalize the opposition. If Santorum comes out a winner tonight, HE DESERVES IT. He’s probably worked harder for the win than any of them with very little backing. It would be a total grassroots win–the best to have. I could easily support him in the general. He isn’t any more flawed than the rest of them and is probably less flawed than many.

KickandSwimMom on January 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

tyketto on January 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM

ASSumptions. I listened to it several times before I posted.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM

It sounded like he said “pligh” as in a combination of “people’s” and “lives”

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Doesn’t sound anything like “black”. More like “bligh”.

Paul-Cincy on January 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM

A smug, sanctimonious, know it all, gay hating idiot.

BettyRuth on January 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

And of course, this is really the problem that progressives of both the Republican and Democrat Parties will have. They are spring loaded to link his defense of marriage stance with anything he does or says. It jades their view and really brings out the hate, that frankly, Santorum doesn’t even display. Though they claim.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM

It sounds like “Black” to me too, but everything about the context says that either

1. I’m mishearing
or
2. Santorum, while addressing the issue, was also thinking about the frequent charge that lefties often make, saying that Republicans are racist because they don’t support welfare programs. It’s a frequent enough attack that it would be natural for it to come to mind when discussing this issue. It’s hardly unthinkable for the wires to get crossed and for him to start answering the wrong question, only to stop himself a split second later.

And I’m hardly in the tank for Santorum; I think he’d be a disaster as a candidate. But he seems like a decent guy and does not deserve to be slandered as some kind of racist, especially not the day after some leftist ghoul desecrates the memory of his son on national television.

The really sad thing about all the piling on is that it’s not even necessary – he isn’t going to win the nomination, so let him have his moment in the spotlight. He’s earned it far more than a lot of the rest of these clowns.

RINO in Name Only on January 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Listen to again if you think he said “black”. It was, to my trained ear, a stumble. It sounds much more like “Bligh”. He combined something that starts with “bl” with the next word, “lives” and got “bligh”. He may have a penchant for British naval commanders feeding off the public trough. It was a moment of rapid self-censoring based on an unfortunate truth that needs to be confronted: far too many black folks are on public assistance relative to population. At any rate, he thought better of saying it and had the momentary juxtaposition of thoughts.

That’s really all it was.

princetrumpet on January 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM

He did not say black. He got toungue -tied. Going to have to deal with this non stop until the election, and that will be the libtard reasoning if Obumbler loses.

Southernblogger on January 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM

From the movie “Annie Hall”:

Alvy Singer: Well, I pick up on those kind o’ things. You know, I was having lunch with some guys from NBC, so I said … uh, “Did you eat yet or what?” and Tom Christie said, “No, didchoo?” Not, did you, didchoo eat? Jew? No, not did you eat, but Jew eat? Jew. You get it? Jew eat?

Paul-Cincy on January 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Eh, it could go either way. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here, for two reasons:

1) He’s in the middle of a sentence where he’s about to say “people’s lives”, and what comes out of his mouth sounds (to my ears) closest to “plives”–a mashup of the two words.

2) There’s nothing in the context of what he’s saying that refers to race at all, so mentioning black people would be out of place.

Mohonri on January 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Def did NOT say BLACK….but…However,
He WAS going to go there and started with BLA and ended IVES.
Just look at his eyes when he started to say it…look to the left which is an indication of thought(Left side brain is “reason”) and realized what he was just about to say and changed it mid word and thus the slight pause. He’s a good politician…and he was able to guard his thoughts quickly without “going there”.
Yes…I am a speach pathologist..and a fan of Rick Santorum.

coach1228 on January 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Well by God, I wasn’t too lazy to listen. I heard what he said. WTF is YOUR problem. (Got your black, Aslans Girl on this one).

Long haired country boy on January 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Look, long haired country boy said “Got your black.” It’s right there in plain sight.

Dextrous on January 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Long haired country boy on January 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Thanks. Santorum does not deny that he said “blacks” when Pelley directly asks him about this. It’s in bzip’s link at the 2:20 mark:

He even says that he just watched some movie called Waiting for Superman which was, Santorum says to Pelley “about black children”. He’s practically admitted it.

It’s an odd answer to Pelley because he says that he “hasn’t seen the context of” that quote… it’s his own statement! He should remember the “context” a mere few hours later. Odd.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM

LMAO! You really do fish don’t you?

melle1228 on January 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Uh, Aslan’s Girl, you’re so in the tank for Perry that you’ll say anything to tarnish any candidate who isn’t Perry, even if it requires hearing something completely different than what was actually said.

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I have a hard time with his stance against gay people and it has nothing to do with his defense of marriage stance.

I think Santorum would be just as bad as Obama but from the other end of the spectrum. He would want to control our lives but just from the conservative point of view. I don’t want that either.

I just want Washington DC to leave me alone.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Ha… while I was writing of other “trained ears” weighed in with the same thought. Pretty much a case of looking for racism in all the wrong places.

princetrumpet on January 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM

He said a lot after that also. Did you stop there?

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Definitely sounds like he said “black.” Maybe he was trying to say plats, or blats, or plaques…WhoTFK.

Dongemaharu on January 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

My 2 cents… The first time I watched, it did seem like he said ‘black’ but after listening a few times without looking at the screen, it sounded like he was speaking fast and getting ahead of himself making a verbal mash up between ‘people’ and ‘lives’, which came out ‘pbligh’.

Fallon on January 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

To me he sounds like he is saying: “I don’t want to make live’s better…. peoples lives better, by giving ….”. Apparently he thought that “making lives better” sounded wrong, so he changed it to “peoples lives better”. Listen a few more times.

Dr Snooze on January 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I don’t want them to make any group’s lives better by taking more of my money. Which is why I think if you take subsidies you don’t get to vote, it is bribery, nothing less, nothing else, nothing but. I promise you, if this were the law, the budget would be balanced and the borders would be closed as the source for new Democrats.

rgranger on January 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Count to 10 on January 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Maybe because welfare is bad for ALL people of any race? Maybe because blacks are not the only ones on this poison? Hispanics, whites, blacks, every race is on it. At the end of the CBS report, they looked into the stats in IA and found that 84% of those on food stamps are whites, 9% blacks.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM

We already have a racist President, This guy wouldn’t be any worse IMHO.

Mord on January 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM

This man is a racist. He just couldn’t help it

liberal4life on January 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I heard “PBHO is a stone cold idiot”.

Then again maybe I’m biased against a man who is destroying my nation.

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM

You think Santorum would be as bad as Obama? I have to ask since you mentioned it. Is you view of his stances because you’re gay? Seriously asking.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:13 AM

It sounded like he said “pligh” as in a combination of “people’s” and “lives”

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Okay, I didn’t see this before I posted but this was my conclusion, as well.

Fallon on January 3, 2012 at 9:13 AM

They’re just pushing harder and harder to get more and more of you dependent upon them so that they can get your vote. I don’t want to make [black?] people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.”

He switched from “you” to “them”, but that was all-inclusive. The only way it would make sense to say “black” would be if he were talking to a bunch of black people. I keep staring at the video, but I don’t see a group of black people. Maybe I’m just color blind.

The Rogue Tomato on January 3, 2012 at 9:13 AM

It sounded like he said “pligh” as in a combination of “people’s” and “lives”

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I do that all the time–I’ll be thinking of two words and out comes some weird amalgamation. I roll my eyes at myself.

DrMagnolias on January 3, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Watched the tape and it sounds BLACK to me

liberal4life on January 3, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I like the guy well enough, but to me it sounded like he started to say ‘black,’ probably caught himself a little too late and just went through the rest of the sentence.

Hostile Gospel on January 3, 2012 at 9:15 AM

When you’re a racist every utterance has a racial context. Quit looking for what’s not there.

LizardLips on January 3, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I can live with Santorum as the nominee and I’m telling you he definitely said “black”.

I don’t know why this is so hard to accept. It is very common and understandable why some people associate blacks with the welfare state. The dems, Obama particularly, NEVER talk about getting them employed. All they ever do is talk about wealth redistribution, liberation theology, etc. The dems have been enslaving blacks since before the civil war and they are still enslaving them. The difference is that they have convinced many to put the economic chains on themselves.

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 9:15 AM

The are more white recipients of welfare in America than blacks.
Biggest food stamps recipients in Iowa are all whites.
He is a racist and should be called out as such

liberal4life on January 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I dunno, it sounded like “black” to me, but it doesn’t matter. In the context of what he was saying he was right either way.

Of course, it doesn’t matter what he actually said or what the context was, MSM will run with whatever they can use to make him (or any Republican) look racist. Just a tiny taste of things to come…

KevinB on January 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Listened to it 4 times…Santorum clearly says Black People’s Lives

he didn’t say bla…bbbl…bbli…bblu…

he said bblaack people’s lives.

workingclass artist on January 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Nope – straight. I do have a close family member that is gay however.

I support the defense of marriage act and I did not support the repeal of DADT. I just am put off by some of the things Santorum has said about gay people. It seems like he has a deep seeded dislike for them.

Make sense?

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

It’s obvious he’s just a flat-out racist. Which shouldn’t be a surprise, because every white person is a racist, inside, unconsciously. Don’t bother to deny it, because the louder you deny it, the bigger a racist you are. Affirmative action, that’s not nearly enough. Welfare programs, celebrating diversity … no, that’s not enough either. You know what we need. You’re going to laugh, because this could never happen in the US, ever, because we’re such a deeply racist country … we need a black President.

Paul-Cincy on January 3, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Watched the tape and it sounds BLACK to me

liberal4life on January 3, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Mind telling me how you get that when regardless of the beginning you hear in that clip, it clearly sounds like it has an “eye” / “igh” suffix?

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 9:17 AM

It sounds and looks like he just said “blah” as in he stumbled over his words. Like when you try and “shake out” your tongue to restart a jumbled word.

Abby Adams on January 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Yes, he rightfully says that welfare is wrong for everyone in the Pelley clip. But the point here in this thread is “did he say ‘black’ or not?” And Santorum himself does not deny it and even gives a reason for saying “black” — he says that he’d just been watching a movie about “black children”. He does not deny this and admits to forgetting the “context” of his own quote just hours later.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Uh, no. Santorum has said plenty on his own to make me think he’s a homophobe. He has one vision for how people should live their lives, (His) and he doesn’t hesitate to share his views.

BettyRuth on January 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Make sense?

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Thanks for the answer, but no actually. I read every link people throw up on comments to prove that he’s extreme in his views and I just don’t see it. Can you link to his most offending comments?

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Starting to get concerned Ed with the new direction of the content of which the new people seem to want to take some of the threads.

LGF had that problem and Charles went nuts and eventually it lead to him going goofy and cutting people from the thread.

people were at least honest in the discussions before you opened the flood gates.

Now it seems even dubbing words in to a you tube video to make a point seems not to be out of bounds.

Would not have happend with just the old crop of commenters.

Scoreboard44 on January 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM

BettyRuth on January 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

My point was what did your opinion of his stance on that issue have to do with whether or not he said “black”.

It jades your opinion. But that’s just my opinion.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Ever think that maybe it’s because he didn’t remember his quote and that he was operating under the presumption that CBS was being accurate in their transcript? Hence his statement that he’d need to go back and see what context it was in.

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I don’t have time to do it right now and maybe someone else will do it.

Otherwise remind me tonight and I will.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM

BTW, I do not for one minute think that Santorum or anyone else who would’ve said this is “racist”. But, a politician is supposed to be diplomatic and have tact. Welfare is bad period. Race is comepletely irrelevant to this question and should not have been injected into this. Race has nothing to do with the conversation and it’s a shame that a Republican did.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM

It sounds like “black” to me. It is a real stretch to say otherwise. If he somehow stumbled on his words, he is the unlukiest man in politics that it came out sounding like “black”. He will not recover from this.

Lightspeed on January 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Lightspeed on January 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I can see it as being debatable as to him saying “pligh people’s lives” or “bligh people’s lives.” Where do you get any sort of “ack” sound from in the word “black” based on what he said?

Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Paul-Cincy on January 3, 2012 at 9:17 AM

If that is what it takes, I guess we’ll all just be a bunch of big fat racists again in 2012. Oh well, just roll with the inevitable and break out the pointy white hats. I’ve never actually been to a cross burning, are marshmallows allowed?

Mord on January 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM

What we need is for the racist Santorum to issue a public apology for being a member of the racist GOP, and he should then ask for forgiveness from the family of Robert Byrd (D-KKK).

Bishop on January 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

You seem to be getting very nit-picky about how Santorum expresses himself–yet your guy, Perry, is one of the worst in the race in screwing up what it is he’s trying to say–if he can get it out of his mouth at all.

KickandSwimMom on January 3, 2012 at 9:25 AM

It sounded like he said “pligh” as in a combination of “people’s” and “lives”
Stoic Patriot on January 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM

This.

But the other reaction is exactly what we can expect to be served all season long to whoever finally gets the Republican nomination.

politibear on January 3, 2012 at 9:25 AM

a black whore moment.

Electrongod on January 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM

And this is why I take nothing Ed says seriously ever. He is completely in the tank for Santorum and is willing to outright lie to his readers so that a social conservative doesn’t get harmed. Hey. Ed, I know you don’t want to effect Santorums vote at all in Iowa by telling the truth, but you know Santorum was askeed about it and he didn’t deny it and then he explained why he might have said blacks, right? H, of course you know that, but the truth isn’t important right now when your candidate is surging in the polls.

thphilli on January 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM

KickandSwimMom on January 3, 2012 at 9:25 AM

What does Perry have to do with Santorum not denying that he just might’ve said “black”? Changing the subject, I see.

Unlike Ed, at least I didn’t pretend that Perry never said “oops”.

Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I don’t have time to do it right now and maybe someone else will do it.

Otherwise remind me tonight and I will.

gophergirl on January 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Won’t be on after this morning for a while.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM

It jades your opinion. But that’s just my opinion.

hawkdriver on January 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM

You’re awfully protective of him- and yeah, I gave it a fair listen and I said it sounded like he started to say, “black”, caught himself, and it came out something like, “bligh”.

BettyRuth on January 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM

It’s certainly something like ‘bligh…’, not ‘black’. As someone before me mentioned, the vowel sound here is ‘i’ and not ‘a’ and not to mention the distinct lack of ‘ack’ sound. But I give it that he might have intended to say black and changed it last minute? So what’s wrong in making people’s life better my making them independent? You will be offended if you are looking to be offended.

MISFern on January 3, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Unlike Ed, at least I didn’t pretend that Perry never said “oops”.
Aslans Girl on January 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM

The correct comparison here would be his N-rock.

whatcat on January 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Shame on CBS for this unsubstantiated allegation

It’s an election year, so I guess we better start getting used to it.

Mr. Prodigy on January 3, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Aslan’s Girl, I clicked on your name and was taken to a Youtube video supporting Perry.

To me the name ‘Aslan’s Girl’ has always suggested the character in the C.S. Lewis novels, and he was famous as an apologist for Catholicism. Which in turn suggests that you would be more likely to share Santorum’s world view. Apparently that is not the case.

Dextrous on January 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM