It begins: Romney is a “Massachusetts moderate at best,” says Gingrich

posted at 10:04 pm on January 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

He said it was coming and now here it comes. I think Liz Mair’s dead right:

I don’t know where Newt Gingrich will finish tomorrow night, but I bet you money he doesn’t go away or stop trashing Romney now.

Based on this Piers Morgan interview, in fact, I would assume Newt is now personally aggrieved and is going to torch Romney longer & harder.

Just for sport, I mean. Not necessarily even with the actual objective of Newt winning the nomination. Just because he can.

Prepare yourself for the next three weeks and possibly beyond by watching the first three minutes from his chat today with Bret Baier and then three more from the interview with Morgan that Mair mentions. One of his strategists is promising a “fiery” speech tomorrow night too, which I assume will unload on Romney for the negative ads. I wonder how far he’s willing to take this. In the other thread, I said he’s probably the guy who’s most likely to drop out before South Carolina and throw his support to Santorum or Perry in order to consolidate conservative voters behind a Not Romney. Can/should either of those guys offer him something now to try to make it happen? I don’t know if Newt would want to be VP — someone who thinks of himself as a figure of historical greatness probably isn’t keen on the lamest job in politics — but maybe a cabinet position of some sort? If Newt can’t be king, presumably he’d enjoy being kingmaker. What could they offer him?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

racquetballer on January 3, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Your not wrong but I’m not sure how we fix it.

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 1:52 AM

thirtyandseven on January 3, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I think they think that is what will win the election.

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Yeah, you’re probably right. I don’t think the hatred that sometimes comes with that mentality does very much to win anyone over though.

At any rate, time for me to get to bed.. G’night!

thirtyandseven on January 3, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Goodnight, sweet dreams.

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Newt the Hoot is the “overlook” candidate.

There is so much you have to overlook to vote for him.

I mean, the guy married his high school geometry teacher.

I loved geometry in high school and I loved my geometry teacher.

But I never thought about asking MR. Vodenhal to marry me.

Of course, that was back in the days before gay marriage came around.

Horace on January 3, 2012 at 2:37 AM

The word we should all be looking for is trust. Who do you trust to do what they say they will do? The only way you can measure that is to look at what they have done in the past. I am done with listening to candidates promising me what they will do; they need to tell me what they have done. Show me your record of accomplishment. Throwing bombs at each other only helps Obama.

JannyMc on January 3, 2012 at 3:54 AM

JannyMc on January 3, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Yes and this is what makes Gingrich such an astonishingly stupid choice for voters who claim to be conservative – the man has literally broken with every vital conservative position in the past decade, usually for money.

InVinoVeritas on January 3, 2012 at 5:22 AM

As i’ve said twice before. I live in mass.

I have voted for Romney for senate,governor, and for president.

He is a moderate republican with some conservative principles,

That is why he can beat Obama in a general election.

gerrym51 on January 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Romney will beat Obama. You can take that to the bank.

I’m convinced that none of these other candidates who have been polling well lately have any chance against Obama. Perry = WEAK. Gingrich = DISASTER. Santorum = EXTREME SOCIAL POSITIONS (“ban consensual sex acts between adults!”, LOST LAST ELECTION BY 20 POINTS

Romney is the winner. That’s why he is ahead in the polls. Voters smell a winner, and Romney has performed brilliantly and consistently throughout the campaign.

bluegill on January 3, 2012 at 5:37 AM

It’s about time, Newt. He needs to destroy two mantras:

Romney = electable

(Prof. Jacobson has done a decent job of collecting items under a to-date 3-part series on this. SEE: http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/01/what-if-everything-we-have-been-told-about-mitt-romneys-electability-is-wrong-part-3/)

Gingrich = baggage

There is not one other candidate currently in the running who would as clearly and persuasively bring forth to the American populace that it is Obama who is the candidate with the most damaging “baggage.”

Czar of Defenestration on January 3, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Ah yes, it’s time to harp on the regional bias card. Most GOP voters are outside of the Northeast of course, but our primary process doesn’t care. New England states carry the same weight in the primaries as they do in the general election. The entire GOP has basically spotted Romney all of the blue states. Newt is just reinforcing that concession. That leaves Mitt in the position where he needed only a couple of red states to sew up the nomination. He’ll do much better than that. From day one, Mitt has played football on his opponents’ side of the field, never having to cede an inch of his half.

That is the real story of this year’s contest. It isn’t The Establishment brainwashing the dumb herds of impressionable know nothings. It is that Mitt is running to be POTUS of the entire nation and not just the South and Midwest.

MJBrutus on January 3, 2012 at 7:14 AM

OH NOES! Romney just lost his stalking horse and will lose the nomination! Bachmann just attacked Romney on Romneycare, cap and tax, planned parenthood, etc! My goodness! What will he do?!

csdeven on January 3, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Recommended reading to anyone who takes Newt seriously: Breach of Confidence by Senator Tom Coburn.

Newt has been fighting conservatism – or, as he call it, the strict and unfashionable “Goldwater conservatism” – for more than 30 years while waging his “pro-active conservatism”, which is basically socialism on steroids.

The next human or societal problem that Gingrich doesn’t come up with a “solution” and an “idea” to solve will be the first. This man has been creeping me out for decades.

joana on January 3, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Somebody help me lift this rock so Newt can return home.

EddieC on January 3, 2012 at 8:11 AM

AP….what’s the worry…NEWT is gone right? Remember “Sherman’s March to the Sea”? “Scorched Earth”? Agruably the most effective tool to ending the South (or a campain for this purpose). The South could NEVER recover from that….
For all intense purposes…If that’s Newts job to get rid of Mittens….then so be it. I say…scorch’em….put the heat on Newt…get rid of this moderate self proclaimed Progressive loser.

Also…. reading through the thread …I get the sense of worry for Mitt? Is the “heat in the kitchen” getting a little warm maybe? If Romney and his followers have just been put on notice that the “heat” is coming, surely you would think that Newt wouldn’t go lying down did you? I mean…..over 50% of all attack adds and over 4 million $ spent attacking Newt wouldn’t have any repercussions? Surely you all are not worried right? Right?..yeah right. I say Scorch’em Newt!!
Just sit back and enjoy the show Pep’s….this is going to get REALLY interesting from here on out…
Me personally….can wait for Newt to actually call Romeny a Moderate Progressive Liberal on national TV….anyone got a cirgarette? I’m going to thouroghly enjoy this….

coach1228 on January 3, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Col. Steele from Black Hawk Down says @newtgingrich is only candidate with the backbone to fix our country [VIDEO]:

georgealbert on January 3, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Romney is the winner. That’s why he is ahead in the polls.

Yeah…let’s just pack it in now people…Romney’s the winner??

What polls? In Iowa and NH? Yeah..they have a GREAT track record.
What about SC and Florida? Uh oh…gee forgot about those huh?
Mark THESE words.
THE SOUTH WILL NEVER LET ROMNEY WIN ONE PRIMARY!!!
I say scorch’em Newt…SCORCH’EM!!
Mittens better put his apron on…cause “heat in the kitchen” coming.

coach1228 on January 3, 2012 at 8:37 AM

An indictment of the political system pointing directly to the biggest real problem America is facing being displayed big time! So the R Party Leadership portrays Romney as an electable self described conservative while totally ignoring everything he said to get elected in MA, the 2ed or 3rd most radical Liberal State in America, and not only totally ignore but promote everything Romney did as Gov. of MA as a positive for R’s as if an R being elected in a radical left State is a good thing for the R Party. Isn’t it apparent that the R Party is telling everyone that politics is a game of whomever wins the political lying game wins elections? Romney now saying forget about all that radical leftist stuff I said to get elected in MA and all of that leftist policy stuff I did while Gov. of MA; that’s just politics, I have always been a conservative…obvious irrefutable proof of a big fat liar for sure. So I guess, if the R Party Leadership are correct about the best liars win elections, Romney is indeed the R Parties best hope to get elected. Just refer to Obama’s win in 2008, big fat liars do win in America’s political system.

aposematic on January 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

If Newt wins the nomination, you can bet the Herman Cainiacs are gonna be up in arms. One man’s drummed out of the race because of infidelity, but another man who had an affair at the peak of his Speakership is a shoo-in?

TMOverbeck on January 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I am probably being over sensitive, we all have those days.

No doubt. To err is human, to forgive divine:)

Could you please fill me in on the trashing that has been done to Gov. Romney that I have not fought against?

Dr. Tesla (to pick one recent example)? He has made hundreds of trashy comments. Look, I’ve been here since 2006 and let’s just say I’m a bit “sensitive” too. You would not believe the “trash” I’ve had to throw out. Here’s one example from a serial-offender:

A person who thinks he is a “savior” (of the dead no less), and believes he is going to be a “Father” to millions of spirit-children on another planet some day, as he sires them with his harem of polygamously married wives may make some people uneasy…just saying.
right2bright on December 12, 2007 at 12:20 PM

My response –

r2b,
Do you think you could focus on what Mitt Romney has done during his lifetime on the planet Earth instead of obsessing about what you claim he thinks will happen upon his death?:
Now when you state these things, they are so obviously strange that the person stating becomes the subject.
Can you provide us with direct quotes from Mitt Romney where he talks about the harem he will have in heaven?
Just askin’.
Buy Danish on December 12, 2007 at 1:07 PM

And yes, I do admit to calling r2b an “idiot” and “not 2 bright”. I stand by that assessment, but will gladly stipulate you are a better person than I am for not stating the obvious like I do when faced with *facepalm* moments.

Buy Danish on January 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Newt smelled power like a dog sniffs out a bone.

He’s not going anywhere.

so-notbuyingit on January 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I like the scorched earth policy by Newt against the flip flopper. Someone should have done this long ago.

they lie on January 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM

VP: Mitt Romney
Chief of Staff: Newt Gingrich
Sec of State: John Bolton
Sec of Treasury: Ron Paul
Sec of Commerce: Herman Cain
Sec of Energy: Sarah Palin
Sec of Agriculture: Rick Perry
Sec of HHS: Rick Santorum
Atty General: Rudy Giuliani

What we don’t have among the runners is a good President…

Archivarix on January 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Good on Newt! Whether he wins or not it will be great sport watching him intellectually eviscerate Romney.

Sparky5253 on January 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM

The guy who says FDR is the greatest American president of all time is ragging on Romney for not being conservative enough? Pot meet kettle.

As weak a candidate as Obama is, Gingrich would get his clock cleaned in the general election, mostly because he’s an obnoxious loudmouth jackass. Let Gingrich stay in it for the long haul, who cares? He just makes all the other candidates look better.

eyedoc on January 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Buy Danish on January 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I went a couple of rounds with him/her early on, decided it was non-productive. He/she may calm down enough to be a serious contributor but so far the comments are all over the map. Since I’m not a Romney supporter I don’t understand why I should feel compelled to defend him, that is what you guys are for. I just don’t bash him. I have gotten into a tousle or two over Mormonism, which I think is a stupid line of attack but it obviously won’t stop people from trying. It is usually paired with the ignorant Southerner meme. And I’m not apologizing for remarks about Romney supporters bullying other commenters. My complaint is that it is a terrible tactic. You might convince yourself that in the end people will vote for what is best for the country but I think the last election disproved that theory. It only takes a small percentage of people to be insulted to lose an election. Why take the chance?

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM