Is it possible to ruin “Imagine”?

posted at 1:25 pm on January 2, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I have never understood the affection for “Imagine,” John Lennon’s least-imaginative pop hit.  The music is dull and dreary, the lyrics a paean to an utterly childish Utopianism, and practically a prescription for surrender.  At least “Power to the People” imagined that people could change the world.  The ballad that many consider to be Lennon’s best work in his career did nothing but dream that all dissent and individual perspective would drain magically from the human race so that we could all live in peace, or perhaps a boredom-induced stupor.  It’s existential nonsense to which it’s not even terribly pleasant to listen, let alone contemplate.

I accept that I’m firmly in the minority on this point, which was driven home when a performer had the gall to adjust one line in the song to fit his own personal childish Utopianism on New Years Eve, and get castigated for a kind of secular heresy:

Cee Lo Green upset John Lennon fans on Saturday night by performing a soulful version of the songwriter’s classic “Imagine” with the lyrics changed from “nothing to kill or die for / and no religion too” to “nothing to kill or die for / and all religion’s true.” According to some fans, Green changed the meaning of the song by switching out the line. “The whole point of that lyric is that religion causes harm,” tweeted someone with the handle @geekysteven. “If ‘all religion’s true’ it would be a pretty bleak place.”

No more so than imagining no heaven, I’d argue.  Frankly, if I liked the original, I’d be more irritated with Cee-Lo’s vocal rendition than with the change of lyrics.  There’s a certain amount of irony, as one atheist wrote, in Cee-Lo’s presentation, too:

Cee-Lo Green claims that he was merely attempting to be tolerant and inclusive, but his alteration is anything but tolerant and inclusive and it is also nonsensical (especially since he sung the part about no Hell below us and above us only sky). But what can we expect from someone who sings, “Imagine no possessions” while wearing a fur coat.

As a matter of fact, all religions believe that they are in possession of “the Truth” and yet none have presented any valid evidence for their claims. Most religions conflict with each other at the core and their value on faith rather than evidence leaves believers with no independent way of judging which religion(s) if any is actually true. The only way to settle the matter is often through violence and a quick history of religion supports this very problem. John Lennon understood that and that was one of the main themes of the song.

Well, atheism hasn’t proven itself either; it’s a belief in no God at all.  The only approach based on objective proof would be agnosticism, not atheism.  As for religions causing violence, perhaps the author in this case should familiarize himself with the histories of the explicitly atheist communist nations in the 20th century for a better understanding that violence comes from human nature, not religious belief.

Besides, remakes don’t ruin songs.  Anyone who wants to hear the original recording of “Imagine” can, unfortunately, hear it just about everywhere on the radio, as well as buy a copy for replay at any time.  I’ll just keep changing the channel when it starts playing on my stereo.

What do you think of “Imagine”? Take the poll:

Update: From the comments, what do you get when you cross the instrumental from “Imagine” and the vocals from Van Halen’s “Jump”? A much duller version of “Jump,” really:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Dumbest song ever.

SouthernGent on January 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Maybe I’ll be stoned around here, but I’m going to go on the record and say that Cee Lo Green is a better vocalist than John Lennon, too.

Abby Adams on January 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Its like taking the American out of American hero movies to appeal as wide as possible to a global audience, and what are you left with, mediocrity.

rob verdi on January 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I have never understood the affection for “Imagine,” John Lennon’s least-imaginative pop hit. The music is dull and dreary, the lyrics a paean to an utterly childish Utopianism, and practically a prescription for surrender.

You’re right Ed – it is terrible. One of the worst songs ever, in my opinion.

updog on January 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Ditto on the song.
As for atheists, they are an angry intolerant bunch. Sort of like Muslims, ironically enough.

pat on January 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Not to nitpick, but the Soviet Union and China killed millions because of their communist beliefs, not atheist beliefs. That they were officially atheist was not particularly relevant to the mass murders that they committed. Clearly, the so-called liberation theology that has inspired Marxists throughout Latin-America has proven that communism kills regardless of whether it is religious or atheist in nature.

Cordell on January 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

worst performance evah with lip synching to boot….

had to change the channel

cmsinaz on January 2, 2012 at 1:33 PM

“Imagine” is one of Lennon’s laziest, most drivel-ridden songs.

(And I much prefer the Stones to the Beatles.)

irishspy on January 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Good one Ed!

KOOLAID2 on January 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

i think i’m one of the minority who hate when people do their own renditions of the star spangled banner….

cmsinaz on January 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I love the song but at the same time it sounds like the communist manifesto. Like many movies that I like, I enjoy it while rolling my eyes a lot at the same time.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Lennon’s “RevolUtion” (hope this doesn’t get mistaken for something Ron Paul-ish by the filters) is a much better song, IMHO. The lyrics make better sense and are something the OWS’rs should think about:
My favorite line?
“But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain’t gonna make it with anyone anyhow.”

I’d only change that to Che Guevera as he seems to be the one they all want to sport on their tshirts now, anyway.

theotherone on January 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

When I was 13, I thought the lyrics to the song imagine were pure genius.

As an adult I have developed the skill of listening to and enjoying music without every paying attention to the content of the lyrics.

warden on January 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the song, it’s fantasy, nothing more. And anyone who believes a world like that is possible is untethered from reality.

But the irony of anyone getting upset over a line change in that particular song is rather rich.

ButterflyDragon on January 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM

The problem with Imagine is the Aethist crowd pushes it as an anti religeous song.

I always point out to the anti religeous crowds that modern war was created by sceince not Religeon. Machine guns, Poision gas, even the A bomb came about not through religeon but via sceince.

Heck even global warming the current Bete Noire of the left is created via sceince. But that is driven by the anti sceince group on the left more than the anti religeous one.

Which brings me to a valid point about the left. They like to sling that conservatives are “Anti” everything but that is more true about the left. They tend to be more anti American, Anti religeous, Anti Sceince and even anti humanity with veiws on population control.

Which is why socialism is ultimately dangerous. The left wants to ban anything that conflicts with its utopian world veiw. That is when Socialism turns to totalitatianism.

William Amos on January 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM

The stupidest Imagine moment ever was when they had Yoko sing it at the winter Olympics opening ceremony. Imagine there’s no countries, right there at the parade of nations.

It’s a profoundly stupid song.

MayBee on January 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Well, atheism hasn’t proven itself either; it’s a belief in no God at all.

I’ve had so many atheists throw fits whenever I explain how atheism is a belief.

Me: You BELIEVE there is no God so it’s a belief.

Atheist: Athiest have a non-belief in God. How can you believe someting you don’t believe in?

Me: You have a BELIEF that there is no god. Therefor, atheism is a belief.

Atheist: To have a religion you have to have to believe in a god. Therefor Atheism is not a religion.

Me: I didn’t say anything about religion, this is about beliefs.

Atheist: La la la…I can’t hear you…la la la….

Me: *bands head against wall*

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

C-Lo singing “Imagine” was just the capstone of a “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” that managed to p!ss off anyone to the right of Michael Moore.

First Michael Bloomberg’s touted of gay marriage, then Ryan Seacrest’s mentioned the Occupoopers in glowing terms, and then “Imagine” instead of “Auld Lang Syne”.

Sorry, NBC, I can have the hard left push their agenda on me 364 other days a year. I don’t need to start off the New Year with that.

And I was endlessly amused by the tragi-comic spectacle of “performers” singing live without Auto-Tune™ present to make up for their utter lack of talent. I may not agree with “Imagine (and I don’t), but C-Lo’s voice was the only talent there that night.

Thanks for the memories, Dick Clark. I won’t be watching your show next year.

ExUrbanKevin on January 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

The song is absolute trash from a faux marxist. Pablum for the brain. Lennon was doing ok until he dumped Cynthia for yo-yo O-no. Yugly Fugly and sings worst than screeching cats.

soghornetgunner on January 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I was at Central Park last summer and there was this plaque dedicated to the song, “Imagine”. I said outloud to my friends: “Imagine? Isn’t that a Raffi song?”

I got several dirty looks from folks around me.

PackerBronco on January 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

A catchy tune that becomes incredibly sinister when you think about it?

Of course it is an anthem for the left, who make a career of not thinking things through.

Here’s a much better version.

Johnny 100 Pesos on January 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Dull but not awful wit childish lyrics.

Elevator music for the “pretend deep thinkers” of the left.

Tim_CA on January 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

pat on January 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM

True enough, but as a christian I can say we have more than our fair share of angry militants as well.

Live and let live :)

As for the song: Listen to real music, and you don’t have to worry about it!

thirtyandseven on January 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

the lyrics a paean to an utterly childish Utopianism

I’m sure you know Lennon was a Marxist, right, Ed?
(Yes, that word’s thrown around a lot, but Lennon really was, by his own testimony)

itsnotaboutme on January 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Need one more option:

Naive and treacly, but eminently worthy of being mocked.

For example:

jrouse9394 on January 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

“But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain’t gonna make it with anyone anyhow.”

theotherone on January 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

You could always change the lyrics to “But if you wear a shirt of Che Guevera, you ain’t gonna ammount to diahrea”.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

You guys don’t like Imagine because it goes against your ideology. If John Lennon sang a song about how awesome America is or how great God is, you would love it.

SoulGlo on January 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM

All religion cannot be true. Only by supposing that what each religion actually says about itself is unimportant to the religion can one suggest that all religion might be true. But that begs the question of just what it is that is true.

The song is bad. The redacted song is bad. Both are fundamentally intolerant and aggressively set against the serious words of serious people about what they hold dear.

Oh, and yes, the damned communists sure as hell DID and DO murder the religious specifically because of the communist dictate that atheism demands the removal by any means possible of any faith whatsoever.

Take your neighbor seriously when he disagrees with you. Do not strike out at him, but hear what he says and understand that yours is the obligation to abide with him even as you disagree. This is the civil virtue of tolerance and it is fundamentally alien to the nonsensical modern faux virtue known as inclusiveness or the celebration of diversity. It is also fundamentally set against the murderous intolerances of those who would strike and silence and murder those with whom one disagrees.

Scribbler on January 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I think imagine is an atheist anthem so no i don’t like the song.

sadsushi on January 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I accept that I’m firmly in the minority on this point

The only minority you’re in Ed, is the minority of those of us willing to plainly proclaim that the song stinks and Lennon was no philosophical genius. Most people won’t dare for fear of the nonsensical derission sure to be heaped upon them by hippies claiming higher plane thinking.

Next let’s talk Woody Allen …

Lost in Jersey on January 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Dumbest song ever.

SouthernGent on January 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Yellow Submarine

Great drinking song while banging your beer mug on the table top and spilling beer everywhere and on everyone.

Skandia Recluse on January 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I love the line “imagine no possessions”——except the Beatles sure did like their “possessions”.

arnold ziffel on January 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Can’t stand the song. I think John Lennon is/was overrated. I’m sick of Paul McCartney as well.

HawaiiLwyr on January 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Naive and treacly

I, for one, think you’re being to soft.

oldleprechaun on January 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

AWFUL SONG.

But Cee Lo’s guitarist, Sharon Aguilar, is a smokin hot 25 year old.

MM.MM..MMM…
YEAH

blatantblue on January 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I hear that if you play Imagine backwards long enough you become a flaming liberal atheist and feel compelled to join the OWS.

Rovin on January 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM

A terrible song but reasonably appropriate for New York City on New Year’s Eve. Probably not by Cee-Lo, though.

Paying too much attention to the lyrics of pop songs should be left to teenagers.

urban elitist on January 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I dont get the Beetles period, let alone Imagine. Not so much that they weren’t good, just how over hyped they are.

Personally, I like the Monkees better ;)

Dash on January 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Hindus generally believe All Paths lead to the Mountaintop.

Dandapani on January 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

If ‘all religion’s true’ it would be a pretty bleak place.

No more so than imagining no heaven, I’d argue.

All religions cannot be simultaneously true, obviously.
Since the Lord Jesus Christ claimed to be the only way to eternal life & redemption, & he called other paths wrong, then other paths cannot be right, if he is right.
Either Jesus Christ is wrong or others are wrong.

itsnotaboutme on January 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

UGH I’VE ALWAYS hated this song.

blatantblue on January 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Dumbest song ever.
SouthernGent on January 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

This.

jawkneemusic on January 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Of course I do get myself in trouble with Beetle purists when I start sing “Imagine there were no Beetles. No Penny Lane no Hey Jude.”

William Amos on January 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

“Imagine all the deadbeats, getting off their lazy butts and working for a living.”

BruthaMan on January 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

cmsinaz on January 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Count me in on that. Play it straight and strong!!

bluealice on January 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Not stamp collecting is my favorite hobby.

mythicknight on January 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Cordell,

I hear this all the time. Oh, the hundred million killed under atheist regimes wasn’t done in the name of atheism, so atheists are actually still more morally enlightened then those religious dulls. If you want to know how much atheism was steeped into those communist regimes, let me give you a glimpse courtesy of Comrade Andropov, “The Pope is our enemy. . . . Due to his uncommon skills and great sense of humor he is dangerous, because he charms everyone, especially journalists. Besides, he goes for cheap gestures in his relations with the crowd, for instance, [he] puts on a highlander’s hat, shakes all hands, kisses children, etc. . . . It is modeled on American presidential campaigns. . . . Because of the activities of the Church in Poland our activities designed to atheize the youth not only cannot diminish but must intensely develop. . . . In this respect all means are allowed and we cannot afford sentiments.”

This is just an example. I am sure there are plenty others. Ed’s right, violence is a product of human nature, not belief/unbelief and don’t even go there with, “Well what does that say about your supposed ‘God’ and His designing human nature.” It’s tiresome and has been discussed to death.

Mike Rathbone on January 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Anyone that says religion can’t cause hate, violence or war looks like a complete idiot.

Talk about naive.

Moesart on January 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

So Ryan , I’m not gay, Seacrest paid homage to the OWS rabel?Guess he didn’t hear that at the same time he was “honoring” them they were busy back at the park trying to take it over again and stabbing a Police Officer .

sandee on January 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I’ll just keep changing the channel when it starts playing on my stereo.

Imagine there’s no “Imagine” in the playlist.

WhatNot on January 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Personally, I like the Monkees better ;)
Dash on January 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

From a musicians perspective they are an awesome band and have a lot of awesome songs. Their song writing was ahead of their time. As for Imagine? Well, even some of the greatest song writers have a few stinkers here and there and Imagine certainly is a stinker.

jawkneemusic on January 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Here go. Folk song that doesn’t suck. Need 40 seconds though, Padawan, or you’ll never even hear it.

Axe on January 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

All religions cannot be simultaneously true, obviously.
Either Jesus Christ is wrong or others are wrong.
itsnotaboutme on January 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

You forgot option C.

C. It is a made up fairy tale for people who can’t handle the reality of death.

Pablo Honey on January 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

The commie anthem that fantasy land liberals are singing to themselves as the apply their COEXIST bumper sticker to their Smart(dumb)Car.

hoofhearted on January 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Cordell on January 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Godlessness allows all things, no matter how vile. Man can always invent a legitimate reason for the terrible things they do. And when one is godless, one is prone to entertain any disgusting argument. Abortion is not rooted in any religion I know of.

NotCoach on January 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Wow! It took only 31 years for this song to be “controversial” again? One of my favorite episodes from WKRP in Cincinnati took the song on during its 1981 season. Here’s a clip:

comet on January 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

You forgot option C.

C. It is a made up fairy tale for people who can’t handle the reality of death.

Pablo Honey on January 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Wouldn’t that just fall under ‘he is wrong’?

… Or are you just intentionally poking a tiger?

thirtyandseven on January 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Utopian one-world, one-people communist idealism!

Individuals never unite!!!

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

All religions cannot be simultaneously true, obviously.
Either Jesus Christ is wrong or others are wrong.
itsnotaboutme on January 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

You forgot option C.

C. It is a made up fairy tale for people who can’t handle the reality of death.

Pablo Honey on January 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

No, your “C” is your religion.
Which is wrong, since the Lord Jesus is right.

itsnotaboutme on January 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

hoofhearted on January 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Lol! I was walking through a parking lot and spotted a car with that lame COEXIST sticker on it. Some one drew the symbols in the dirt on the window and drew flames underneath it. Hahaha

jawkneemusic on January 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

It sure is possible to ruin an OK song when you change a lyric in order to fellate the scared and delusional feeding their pathological need to have an imaginary super powered sky friend daddy. The religious are insane.

Your Mamma loves me on January 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Abby Adams on January 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Not by me. As someone old enough to have seen them in person and yeah I was a teeny bopper screamer…lol. That said, even then I disliked Lennon’s voice. I would have rather listened to Ringo than Lennon. And yeah he is way over-rated as are all pop/rock stars. Personally I think the best Beatle’s songs are the we’re having fun ones. I mean how long can you listen to “Imagine” or even “Let It Be” before you say allright already? When they took themselves too seriously they were pretty bad. When they did some tongue in cheek commentary is was okay even good but not great. When they just enjoyed themselves it was really good. We’re they great? Hmmm…not sure, but they knew how to entertain and did change pop music. But then so did alot of others.

Deanna on January 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Individuals never unite!!!

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

lol … kinda strange, that dixie cup o’ worms.

So, conservative weighted slogan might be something like:

Individuals, disband!

damn. Now I’ll be “mulling” all afternoon.

Axe on January 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Yeah, it’s a dumb song. Despite Lennon’s dismissing of religion in the song, it is something like a religious anthem in that it envisions an fantasy existence that can never be, just like any religion.

rickv404 on January 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

When I was young I liked that song. Then I grew up.

vcferlita on January 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

itsnotaboutme how can a thing that never existed, this made up super hero “christ” dealio, which would get laughed off the pages of a funny book provide “light”? Its a new year get back on your meds you delusional wacko.

Your Mamma loves me on January 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Ed,

You appear to be in good company. When I first heard this song, I felt it to be a direct attack upon my religious values — for Lennon was blaming religion for all of the “other” crimes he railed about in the song. Not for a moment did he imagine that the lack of religion had killed far more than its presence. Our Hitlers, Stalins, and Maos were not motivated by religion — far from it — they viewed men of concience as adversaries — which is why Hitler sent so many Jehovahs Witnesses, Catholic priests, and Protestant pastors to the death camps. Josef Stalin was an equal opportunity atheist — he persecuted all men of faith with equal abandon — killing more (7.5M) in his camps than Hitler had in his. Finally, there is Mao Tse-tung — a man dedicated to building Lennon’s vision of a new world — millions died, many for their faith.

unclesmrgol on January 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

“Imagine” is one of Lennon’s laziest, most drivel-ridden songs.

(And I much prefer the Stones to the Beatles.)

irishspy on January 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

The Kinks blow them both away. Ray Davies is God.

Del Dolemonte on January 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Pre Sargent Pepper Beatles were nothing more then okay….Post Sargent Pepper was worthless, and NOTHING that John Lennon did as solo was worth listening to, and “Imagine” was one of the worst of the worst! C-Lo just made the “so called song” even lower then worm “footprints” in my humble opinion….

Vntnrse on January 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

99% of the time.

But there is always the 1%ers.

Then again Marvin Gaye is one of the .1%ers when it comes to talent.

reaganaut on January 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

rickv404 on January 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

We religious have a much greater chance of being right than Lennon the atheist.

unclesmrgol on January 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

HawaiiLwyr on January 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

George Harrison was a much better song crafter. His tracks on “Abbey Road” (“Something” and “Here Comes The Sun”) and his first solo album “All Things Must Pass” prove that in spades.

Lennon himself, in fact, said “Something” was the best song on the “Abbey Road” album.

Del Dolemonte on January 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I have been a huge Lennon fan all my life. But a long time ago I totally rejected the silly hippy leftist ideology of the lyrics of songs like this. Nonetheless I like the music, not necessarily the message.
Imagine is a camp fire song, like Kumbaya, or Give Peace A Chance.
Lennon himself later admitted in interviews that all his hippy music was a reaction to him becoming filthy rich and feeling guilty about it.

jasongray711 on January 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

bluealice on January 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM

cmsinaz on January 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Re. Lennon’s love of Lenin, here’s a statue honoring the former in Cuba:

itsnotaboutme on January 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

YOur Mamma Loves Me, who are you supporting in the primaries?

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

cmsinaz on January 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

It’s disrespectful and very offensive, isn’t it, when they exploit traditional patriotic or religious songs (National Anthem, God Bless America, America the Beautiful, Christmas carols) as a platform for their own vocal gymnastics. As soon as it starts, usually I make a dive for the remote and hit MUTE to avoid the annoyance.

petefrt on January 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Your Mamma loves me on January 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I’m sorry you feel that way.

itsnotaboutme on January 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

A majority of athiest’s support abortion; the mass-murder of children. “Imagine” a world without abortion…

Oracleforhire on January 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Dreck. Leftist dreck to boot.

Hard Right on January 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Personally I think the best Beatle’s songs are the we’re having fun ones.

Deanna on January 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Exactly. The Beatles are a good band, but they should have stuck to sing about being in love or other silly pop songs. (Although I do have to admit that Eleanor Rigby has always had a place in my heart.) Lennon’s not a terrible musician, but just no great singer. Lennon/McCartney wrote some amazing songs, but there’s not need to try and get “deep” on things.

Abby Adams on January 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Your Mamma loves me on January 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Your Mamma loves me on January 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Good arguments, dude. You’re going to win over a lot of people this way.

thirtyandseven on January 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

cmsinaz on January 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Ohhhhh, I can guarantee you are not! Even our 14 year old hates when a singer changes it. It also drives me crazy when the anthem is sung at a sporting event, seldom do you see a player remove a hat/helmet and place his hand over his heart.

herm2416 on January 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

cmsinaz on January 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

You certainly are not alone. I feel exactly the same way. I wanted to smack Christine Aguilara when I heard her “rendition”.

Hard Right on January 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Vntnrse on January 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Actually, The Beatles did some great albums before “Pepper”, most notably “Rubber Soul” and “Revolver”.

As for Lennon’s solo work, I’m a George Harrison fan so didn’t really pay as much attention to Lennon’s solo output, but his “Walls and Bridges” album was excellent, and his 1975 “Rock N’ Roll” album was a wonderful trip back in time to the early days of Rock N’ Roll. The session musicians for that album read like a history of that genre.

Del Dolemonte on January 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Axl Rose is a better songwriter than John Lennon. Imagine is crap. “Imagine no possessions”, sitting in his million dollar apartment, piss on him. Typical limousine liberal.

JohnBrown on January 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Ed Morrissey said:

I have never understood the affection for “Imagine,”

DethMetalCookieMonst said above:

I love the song but at the same time it sounds like the communist manifesto.

Here’s what Lennon himself said about the song:

He [John Lennon] once admitted that “Imagine” — an absolute equality created by the dissolution of governments, borders, organized religion and economic class — was “virtually the Communist Manifesto.

He was also quoted as saying:

But the first record was too real for people, so nobody bought it . . . ‘Imagine’ was the same message but sugarcoated. . . . ‘Imagine‘ is a big hit almost everywhere — anti-religious, anti-nationalistic, anti-conventional, anti-capitalistic, but because it is sugarcoated it is accepted. Now I understand what you have to do: Put your political message across with a little honey.”

ITguy on January 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Cee-Lo Green claims that he was merely attempting to be tolerant and inclusive,

Of who? The Religion of Truth?

Personally, I like the Monkees better ;)

Dash on January 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

You do realize that that wasn’t even Peter Torks own hat? It was a TV studio hat.

BL@KBIRD on January 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Good arguments, dude. You’re going to win over a lot of people this way.

thirtyandseven on January 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Don’t mind him. He’s just a rep from Hot Topic. Since that store chain hasn’t been doing well lately he’s trying to convert people so he’ll have more customers.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Re. Lennon’s love of Lenin, here’s a statue honoring the former in Cuba:

itsnotaboutme on January 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

The Firesign Theatre used pictures of “Marx” and Lennon” on the cover of their very first album back in the 1960s. Groucho and John, that is! They actually had to get John’s permission to use his likeness, which he readily agreed to.

Del Dolemonte on January 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I remember when it was just a song. I don’t know when it became a sacred screed of the Left but it’s always fun to see dissension among the ranks of the pop-rock collective. Cee Lo better get back in line or he’ll be tossed off ‘The Voice’.

saspepper on January 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Your Mamma loves me on January 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Hey YMlm,this is not an Obama thread.

hoofhearted on January 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

+100000

Rubber Soul and Revolver are my favorite Beatlers albums.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

ITguy, ‘scuse me while I hurl.

Hard Right on January 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

The Kinks blow them both away. Ray Davies is God.

Del Dolemonte on January 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Yes. Great Band. Too bad for American audiences they were banned from the U.S. for four years during the height of the British invasion. Though perhaps it kept Ray Davies’ songwriting more local, British and focused. The Jam, another great band more loved in Britain than the U.S., owes much to the Kinks.

OptionsTrader on January 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

This is a canard. Christian theism is vigorously comprehensive and reasonable, abiding by various objective strands of evidence, history, philosophy, metaphysics, and science.

William Lane Craig has trounced numerous atheist scientists and thinkers, Christopher Hitchens included (RIP). It is the atheist who has the weaker case, not the Christian theist.

Richard Romano on January 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I’m sorry you feel that way.

itsnotaboutme on January 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

You get netted sometimes. I don’t think you have to. It’s not my business, and I could be wrong. But it looks like you are arguing the color blue with a blind guy sometimes :) — you and a couple of other people.

Much more often after the new registrations.

I’m being rude; it’s truly not my business.

:#

Axe on January 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM

The only people I’ve ever met that like “Imagine” still smoke pot in their 30′s, live in their parents basement, and drone on about “social justice” their Sociology professor dupped them into….. So I’m guessing its the song of choice at Media Matters HQ.

bigrichard.small on January 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I prefer Puff the Magic Dragon…

Mr_Magoo on January 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Richard Romano on January 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Someday I hope to write an article where I explain how IT is not only entirely possible but has already been demonstrated by computer programming. The problem is setting aside an evening with a whole lot of coffee and writing an article that is articulate. I’ve used the example before with atheists and they can never have a proper retort. The closest thing was one of them saying “Oh, but the universe is far too complex”. That’s all they had.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM